Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I don't think that's even the actress who's playing Supergirl, is it? Just some blond girl in a costume.

Is that the real costume? Yeah, seems about right for DC's TV shows. Dark and moody, no bright colours allowed. This show is going to tank so hard.

(edited)

I don't think that's even the actress who's playing Supergirl, is it? Just some blond girl in a costume.

Is that the real costume? Yeah, seems about right for DC's TV shows. Dark and moody, no bright colours allowed. This show is going to tank so hard.

That's the actress (Melissa Benoist) in the costume. 

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/03/06/first-look-melissa-benoist-as-supergirl

Edited by Sakura12

no where near as bad as I was expecting. I actually like the darker colors. I know many object for reasons already stated but I don't like Superman or Supergirl so I'm judging just by the ascetic appeal of the colors.

(edited)

That's the actress (Melissa Benoist) in the costume. 

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/03/06/first-look-melissa-benoist-as-supergirl

Really? Huh. So now I realise that I didn't even know who she was. I thought she was the really hot girl who appeared in two episodes of Homeland in season 1. Turns out she was the somewhat averagely attractive girl who appeared in two episodes of Homeland season 1.

Edited by Danny Franks

Really? Huh. So now I realise that I didn't even know who she was. I thought she was the really hot girl who appeared in two episodes of Homeland in season 1. Turns out she was the somewhat averagely attractive girl who appeared in two episodes of Homeland season 1.

I am a huge Homeland fan and I don't even remember the character MB played on the show. The girl you were thinking of is probably Brianna Brown. I loved the character she played and was saddened when she was killed off as quickly as she was.

I like the design overall but yeah, the muted colors? Again? Why bother with red and blue at all when the shades are so toned down they kind of blend together? And maybe this is nitpicking but is she wearing tights or something under the miniskirt? The miniskirt itself is questionable at best, but isn't the point of one to show off your legs? If you want the costume to be taken more seriously fine, then ditch the miniskirt and give her actual pants. 

• Love 3

I am a huge Homeland fan and I don't even remember the character MB played on the show. The girl you were thinking of is probably Brianna Brown. I loved the character she played and was saddened when she was killed off as quickly as she was.

That's her. Yeah, I liked her and while it was painfully obvious she was going to be killed, I was sad that it happened. But then, the amount of things that happen on that show just so Carrie can rage and angst about them is off the charts anyway. After some googling, I believe Melissa Benoist played the naked girl that Brianna Brown's character was 'interviewing' for a role in the harem.

(edited)

She was also in Glee, but the only think I've ever seen her in was Whiplash.  Granted, it was hard to get a sense of her as an actress, since that movie was really more of a two man show with Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons, which everyone else practically in the background.

Not a fan of the faded colors.  I'll give the actress a chance, but they still went in a direction I wasn't expecting.  When Claire Holt was the first person mentioned to have auditioned, I could see why they would go for her, but Melissa is just not what I pictured.  But, maybe she'll surprise me.

Edited by thuganomics85
(edited)

I just read the article. THAT'S why Young Justice was cancelled? Seriously? Too many girls are watching it? I can...no, I actually don't have the words. Well, I do, but I think I'd get in trouble if I typed a lot of them.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 6

Haven't read the article yet but I though it was because they weren't selling g enough toys? That's what I heard at the time. But I guess those 2 things are associated.

(edited)

The Supergirl outfit is ok.  It could have been a lot worse.  I had been concerned about low cut cleavage or something.  The toned down colors will match up to the current movie universe so, oh well. 

I am still trying to reserve my judgment on the actress until I've seen her in the part.  I kind of like how average girl next door she looks in the picture, it's actually a nice change from blond bombshell.  I'm more concerned about the actresses abilities.  She was a very specific kind of character on Glee (and somehow very forgettable too) and she needs to be something more for Supergirl.  Grant Gustin pleasantly surprised me and he's a Glee alum so she might have hidden depths as well. 

If nothing else, she and Barry can do a killer duet on karaoke night...actually, I need this to happen.  I don't care if Arrow and Supergirl cross over but I would adore a Flash crossover even knowing as little as we do.  (Not sure how they can make that work if SG exists in a world where everyone knows about Superman...maybe the people in Starling just assume people on the east coast are all seeing things) 

Edited by BkWurm1

I don't like it, I'm sorry. I think I'm going to give this one a pass. Just about everything I've heard about it has made me less interested. If it actually manages to survive the season, I might give it another look, but for now...no.

If nothing else, she and Barry can do a killer duet on karaoke night...actually, I need this to happen.  I don't care if Arrow and Supergirl cross over but I would adore a Flash crossover even knowing as little as we do.  (Not sure how they can make that work if SG exists in a world where everyone knows about Superman...maybe the people in Starling just assume people on the east coast are all seeing things)

Time travel!

Or Grant guests on Supergirl as an older version of the Barry we're currently seeing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't mind for dark muted colors on any of the super's outfit. I care about the fact that this poor girl is wearing a skirt and tights -seriously, why do female superheros are always in a freakin skirt!!!... I mean at least she has tights on) this poor girl is gonna freeze her ass off during outside shots. wasn't there a supergirl who had a full on suit?.. never mind it's a revised drawing where the artist added pants but it's not the official outfit:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/031/8/5/supergirl___dc_new_52_revised_costume_design_by_fanboiii-d4fj52o.jpg

(it's really big so i don't wanna add it)

I would have liked to see something like this:

3f2d00328b2175e6cba1a356e40ecd5a.jpg

with that being said, that is a far better outfit than the one poor Kara wore on Smallville., although her revised outfit from the comics is pretty much what I would have liked to see on the show, or something similar.

concept: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/165/a/8/smallville_season_11_supergirl_costume_design_by_gattadonna-d6920pf.jpg

The actual outfit: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111137777/4087773-7916052929-super.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/137/b/e/smallville_season_11_argo__2_by_gattadonna-d65kgun.jpg

Edited by foreverevolving

I still think this show is going to get cancelled so fast it'll make your head spin. It might work on the CW, but I just cannot fathom this working on CBS. I've been wrong before though, so I guess we'll see.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who the heck drew that and have they ever actually seen a real human being.  Her thighs are the same size as her thigh gap, she has what I can only describe as insect arms and, of course, enormous round globules bolted on the front of her chest.  And a six-pack.

I can't get past this to actually evaluate the costume.

Edited by pootlus
  • Love 9
(edited)

It was ordered straight to series, so it already has a pick up.

ETA: Actually, on checking my facts, what it actually has is a "series commitment", which according to Matt Mitovich, "'Series commitment' lands somewhere between 'pilot order' and 'series order.' It is not 100% guaranteed to see light of day."

http://tvline.com/2014/09/19/supergirl-tv-show-cbs-cast/

(In the comments)

TVLine asks which female superhero costume looks better?

http://tvline.com/2015/03/06/supergirl-costume-photos-best-tv-superheroes/

I picked Mockingbird, but the thing is, I don't actually remember her wearing that outfit on the show more than once or twice.

Edited by Starfish35

It's funny. I didn't actually hate that Wonder Woman outfit (I didn't love it either but it could have been worse) yet unlike what I said with the Supergirl outfit here I'm not sure the bright colors work.

Does anyone else ever look at these costumes and ask if they want to see loads of little girls dressed in them on Halloween?  Maybe it is just me but I know the way they dress the hero's the 6-16 year old kids watch does make an impression.

• Love 2

Yeah the Wonder Woman outfit was terrible - not least for what it did to Palicki's fake boobs.  Her Mockingbird one definitely wins by a mile, although I always assume people who design superhero one-pieces must assume the wearer has super-speed.  A jacket and pants are much quicker to change into.

The Supergirl one may look better in full daylight, granted.  Like, sunshine.  Supergirl will have actual sunshine, right?

I would have voted for Mockingbird except for the strap under the breasts. The obsession with breast in normal life is bad enough; there’s no place for it on a superhero costume.

I like the Supergirl outfit because it looks practical and comfortable.  I see the muted colours as a reflection on the current world mood (dark and taking a hard right philophically).

How is BC coming second in the "most practical" poll?

Wonder Woman’s outfit needs to stay on WWII pin-up boards.

• Love 1

A few years ago there was a show called Ringer (starring Sarah Michelle Gellar) whose pilot was originally ordered by CBS, and then later got picked up by The CW. Maybe that's what will happen with Supergirl, since it seems like an odd fit for CBS.

• Love 2
(edited)

A few years ago there was a show called Ringer (starring Sarah Michelle Gellar) whose pilot was originally ordered by CBS, and then later got picked up by The CW. Maybe that's what will happen with Supergirl, since it seems like an odd fit for CBS.

from what I understand, CBS basically dumped it on the CW after they realized they realized it wouldn't work on CBS.

As for Supergirl, it's possible but I believe CW already passed on it which is it ended up on CBS.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

I was just rereading some of the articles about Melissa being cast for this role. I didn't realize that Elizabeth Lail (OUAT's Anna) was being considered for the Supergirl role. I remember hearing about Claire Holt, but for some reason Elizabeth's name didn't even register with me. Now I'm sad. I think I'd be a lot more excited about this if she was playing Kara.

But then, a lot of their casting decisions have left me cold. I saw someone say somewhere that Meghan Ory was being considered for the role of Lexa. Don't know if that's true or not, but I would have been a whole lot more excited about that than Chyler Leigh.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

Mmm I'm kinda confused by the supergirl show. I haven't read much about it but will it take place in Metropolis and will Clark Kent/Superman have cameos?  Cat Grant and Jimmy Olsen typically Superman characters at the Daily Planet. Or are they just making their own mythology? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Supergirl has ever really stood as her own character in comics so it will be interesting to see what they do. 

The suit is okay. It looks a lot like the classic one in the comics except darker. Don't really see Melissa as Supergirl but I'll give her a chance. 

Edited by ban1o

I've only seen Chyler Leigh in Taxi Brooklyn, and I thought she was kind of terrible in that. So her casting didn't enthuse me. I'm sure she's better known from her Grey's Anatomy role, but......I would really have liked to see Meghan in the role.

• Love 1

I hope she ends up getting something good. I really liked her as both Ruby/Red on OUAT and Riley Neal on Intelligence-best thing about that show as far as I was concerned. Maybe they'll pick her up for the spinoff. *not holding my breath*

• Love 1

from what I understand, CBS basically dumped it on the CW after they realized they realized it wouldn't work on CBS.

As for Supergirl, it's possible but I believe CW already passed on it which is it ended up on CBS.

Ringer was not a well written show.  It couldn't work anywhere.

As for Supergirl, I thought it was the other way around, that CBS stepped in and pre-empted the CW and claimed Supergirl for themselves.

(edited)

I'm okay with the suit in general colorwise - though I also agree some pants would be nice, but I hate the background coloring. Why is it so dark? Why does DC hate light and joy? If CBS ships Supergirl off to the CW, they may as well just brand themselves as the the DC Hero Network with Arrow, The Flash, Unnamed 3rd Tiers Spin-Off, and iZombie. I'm not saying I wouldn't watch that, but all these superhero shows is going to limit their broadcasting opportunities. But since this is all about getting the menfolk back, I'm sure my silly girl opinion doesn't matter to them. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 2

Mmm I'm kinda confused by the supergirl show. I haven't read much about it but will it take place in Metropolis and will Clark Kent/Superman have cameos?  Cat Grant and Jimmy Olsen typically Superman characters at the Daily Planet. Or are they just making their own mythology? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Supergirl has ever really stood as her own character in comics so it will be interesting to see what they do. 

The suit is okay. It looks a lot like the classic one in the comics except darker. Don't really see Melissa as Supergirl but I'll give her a chance. 

It's supposed to be set in a place called National City, which is admittedly the worst name ever and I hope it changes before anything hits the airwaves.  The mythology is a bit different from the "normal" canon, but not super-radically so IMHO. 

According to the audition videos I was able to see, Superman is a known, established hero at the time this takes place, but I think all they've asked for casting-wise is a photo double so he won't be showing up in person, at least not right away.

How is BC coming second in the "most practical" poll?

The skirt is counting against Supergirl in the practicality stakes I think. And Wonder Woman's outfit looks like she creaks when she walks. I don't think she looked like that in WWII though. :)

I'm not against the color palette (I don't like colors that are too bright, this is live action, not comics), but skirt? Really? And the whole look of the actress is kinda meh. I was already pretty iffy on the show, and this photo didn't spark my interest at all.

The picture where she smiles - it's much better. In the first one she kind of looked like a cross between Ellen Pompeo and Blake Lively, but the second one is great.

As for the costume - I'm not against the dark (I may be in the minority that actually prefers the dark to "yellow spandex"), but I keep thinking about that skirt. There's just so many retakes they'll have to make on action scenes not to show her skirt rising up and doing the Monroe on air vent thing... Just think about the landing issues. Not practical at all.

Pausing mid fight to pull the skirt down?...

Perhaps this is the first iteration of the costume, and it will be changed mid-season?

• Love 1
(edited)

Official trailer for the 1984 movie.

At 1:24 Supergirl lands vertically but the skirt does not fly up. Perhaps they'll do the same effect in the series.

The best thing about the movie was Faye Dunaway and company. Peter O'Toole was wasted IMO.

I would prefer pants of some sort in the TV series.

Edited by Pothunter
(edited)

Ringer was not a well written show. It couldn't work anywhere.

As for Supergirl, I thought it was the other way around, that CBS stepped in and pre-empted the CW and claimed Supergirl for themselves.

I thought it was the other way around but it's possible CBS snagged it first. I just remember Berlanti or SA saying Berlanti's deal is with CW and CBS and he took this to CBS. Gave me the impression CW quietly passed since they have 3 (soon to be 4) DC properties already. Edited by Morrigan2575