Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, JJ928 said:

Oh boy. As a bisexual woman I disagree. I think Sara’s bisexuality is a joke, has been mostly ignored, and used for titillation when remembered. I’d prefer if they would have just kept her straight or made her a lesbian. It’s tiring seeing bisexual women on tv treated like a toy. It’s my least favorite thing about Sara/LOT.

I figured they were writing Sara as someone who doesn't think she deserves love and that is why they have been having her hookup with random people. Now, I am hoping Sara realizes she deserves better for herself and stays with Ava. However, I hope the writers don't use Quentin's death to have her self destruct again. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I figured they were writing Sara as someone who doesn't think she deserves love and that is why they have been having her hookup with random people. Now, I am hoping Sara realizes she deserves better for herself and stays with Ava. However, I hope the writers don't use Quentin's death to have her self destruct again. 

Yes please, no more dark spirals because a Lance died.  Let her be sad and turn to those closest to her rather than push them away.  Crosses fingers.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I’d like them to give a little more attention to both Sara’s feelings that she doesn’t deserve love because of being a killer, and Ava’s feelings that she doesn’t deserve love because of being a clone.  Both were brought up, but then just kind of dropped with no real resolution.  Sara suddenly forgot all about her own issues when faced with Ava’s, and Ava apparently decided she was ok with it after all in the finale, based on the interrupted “I love you” scene, with no real explanation of why.

What I thought was going to happen was that Sara would be forced to face and come to terms with her past in order to be able to wield the death totem in the finale, but that’s not anywhere close to what happened.  While overall I enjoyed the finale, that aspect just irritated me.  Don’t bring the issues up if you’re not going to resolve them in a satisfactory manner.

I’d also like them to work on strengthening Sara’s friendships with the rest of the team.  I’m not fond of the idea of her only significant relationship being Ava.  As someone over on the Legends thread pointed out, most of Sara’s close connections on the team are gone now - Rip, Snart, Jax, Stein, Amaya.  I’d like to see her build some closer bonds with those who are left.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yes please, no more dark spirals because a Lance died.  Let her be sad and turn to those closest to her rather than push them away.  Crosses fingers.  

How involved is Marc over on Legends?

13 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I’d like them to give a little more attention to both Sara’s feelings that she doesn’t deserve love because of being a killer, and Ava’s feelings that she doesn’t deserve love because of being a clone.  Both were brought up, but then just kind of dropped with no real resolution.  Sara suddenly forgot all about her own issues when faced with Ava’s, and Ava apparently decided she was ok with it after all in the finale, based on the interrupted “I love you” scene, with no real explanation of why.

What I thought was going to happen was that Sara would be forced to face and come to terms with her past in order to be able to wield the death totem in the finale, but that’s not anywhere close to what happened.  While overall I enjoyed the finale, that aspect just irritated me.  Don’t bring the issues up if you’re not going to resolve them in a satisfactory manner.

I’d also like them to work on strengthening Sara’s friendships with the rest of the team.  I’m not fond of the idea of her only significant relationship being Ava.  As someone over on the Legends thread pointed out, most of Sara’s close connections on the team are gone now - Rip, Snart, Jax, Stein, Amaya.  I’d like to see her build some closer bonds with those who are left.

Oh, wow. I never realize this but it is actually true. I think Zari is more close with Ray but I thought her and Sara grew closer during her dream episode?

5 minutes ago, TwistedandBored said:

How involved is Marc over on Legends?

I think it’s just as a “consultant”, same as on Arrow.

6 minutes ago, TwistedandBored said:

Oh, wow. I never realize this but it is actually true. I think Zari is more close with Ray but I thought her and Sara grew closer during her dream episode?

I think they came to an understanding then, but I’m not sure how actually close they are.   

To me, it seems like, for Zari and Nate and Mick, Sara is the boss, the captain, and they support her 100%, but I’m not sure how close they are beyond that.  And Ray....that’s a little less defined, but Sara and Ray have had so few scenes together that it’s hard to say.  

I think it would be fairly easy to develop those relationships - the basis is obviously already there.  It’s just, between Ava and Constantine, I think it would also be fairly easy for them to have those two be her primary connections, and that’s what I don’t want to have happen. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

With Black Siren apparently headed for redemption on Arrow, I'm concerned that she'll be getting the same character development beats as Sara (for example, feeling like she doesn't deserve love because of being a killer, being forced to come to terms with her past in order to move forward).

With MG being an "executive consultant" for both Arrow and LoT, I hope that doesn't happen. However, we've seen similar themes and plots play out on multiple Arrowverse shows.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

For anyone who wasn't able to watch the 2018 Tony Awards last night, Melissa Benoist was a presenter (see video below of both her red carpet interview and on stage presentation). Also, Colin Donnell's wife, Patti Murin, was part of the Frozen cast who performed "First TIme in Forever" (see video below). But for me, the best moment of the show was when Parkland students in the drama department of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School performed "Seasons of Love" from Rent (it made me want to cry, see video below)...

(Supercorp45)

(CBS)

(CBS)

In case you're wondering, the Parkland soloist is Kali Clougherty.

Full List of 2018 Tony Award Winners: 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-awards-2018-winners-list-sunday-2018-06-10/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
On 6/11/2018 at 12:17 AM, BkWurm1 said:

Oh please dont let her go down that road. We`ve seen the "Lance family member pushes everyone away and becomes angry and bitter over dead loved one" story a million times now it seems like, I dont want it to affect my beloved LoT. I would like to think the writers over there are better than that, but I dont know how much influence they have over big stories, and they could get caught in the old angst trap. Clearly this should affect her, but I hope it leads to her becoming closer to her team, and doesn't just push them away.

And, if Sara is all angsty about Quentin, that just reminds me about how his last arc of the show was his stupidest and most infuriating, character assassinating arc of the entire series, and that just upsets me. I dont want to be upset watching LoT. Its like if they decided to clone the Newbies and put them on the Waverider as well as on Team Arrow, I dont want the worst aspects of the mothership hurting its spin offs!

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont want the worst aspects of the mothership hurting its spin offs!

Arrow affecting its spin-offs rather than the other way around would be a novel concept. Other than the Laurel thing (which I just see as a whole other thing on its own), Flash and LoT affected Arrow way more than vice versa (not even the Baby Sara thing, but the magic thing, introducing all of the spin off characters, etc.), so any choice to lean into decisions Arrow made is LoT's and LoT's alone. The fact that Sara has already gone through this plot, and did the grieving aspect of it on Arrow especially apparently in the middle of them already starting whatever missions that Constantine has now placed in front of them, and that the new regulars are more connected to her make me think that they'll be leaning away from it a bit and might only use it sparingly when brought up.

• Love 3

I want to see it affect her, but she did the dark revenge spiral when Laurel was killed, so I’d rather see them go a different direction with this.  It would be nice if they could get PB for a guest spot to be able to give her the closure she didn’t get on Arrow.  (Whatever they do, leave BS out of it, please and thank you.)

Really, though, as much as I love Legends, I do feel like they’ve dropped the ball on some character development, especially this last season.  For instance, the Vietnam episode was a major one for Mick, especially learning that he has been burning himself.  But there was no further development for the rest of the season, and in fact, it felt like Mick spent most of the second half of the season drunk in the background.  Sara’s possession by Mallus was a major thing, bringing up issues from her time as an assassin.  But two episodes later it was like it never happened.  

I mean, I still love the show and its craziness.  But I would like them to do a bit better this next season in connecting character arcs throughout the season rather than just throwing out crazy episodes for the fun of it.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I want to see it affect her, but she did the dark revenge spiral when Laurel was killed, so I’d rather see them go a different direction with this.  It would be nice if they could get PB for a guest spot to be able to give her the closure she didn’t get on Arrow.  (Whatever they do, leave BS out of it, please and thank you.)

I would prefer to see Q’s death affect Sara deeply.

Here’s what I mean: 

When Laurel died Sara was angry and seriously considered changing history to fix it. They didn’t go into this much detail but I always saw it as guilt driving her reaction and behavior. Sara and Laurel had an up and down relationship, and often seemed to just not like each other. That led to Sara’s decision to join Oliver on the Gambit, which in turn ended up hurting and humiliating Laurel. Laurel responded to that with her own anger that resulted in being upset that Sara was alive and blamed her for Laurel not living the life she’d envisioned and was working toward (“you stole my life!”).  Arrow  never dealt with the complicated emotions around this relationship and wrapped it up with that unsatisfactory makeup scene in Verdant. Laurel became a vigilante in response to Sara’s season 3 death and then died in the field so that adds to the guilt Sara’s carried for more than a decade and informs her behavior in season 2 of LOT. 

Sara has no such guilt, or an historically bad relationship, where her dad is concerned. Logically she should respond differently. I can see her mourning deep in her soul but not trying to change time. Maybe a conversation with Ray (or she goes to Central City to talk to her little brother Jax) about how a part of her was always waiting for it to happen since he was a cop for so long and was more prepared to deal. Bonus if she goes back to have (to her) a proper goodbye. 

• Love 3
(edited)

GB was a Hero Award Honoree at the TrevorLIVE New York fundraising event on June 11...

Melissa Benoist Presents Greg Berlanti with the Hero Award at TrevorLIVE
Published on Jun 12, 2018, by Motorcycle Girlfriends

Read Greg Berlanti’s Moving and Personal TrevorLIVE Acceptance Speech
by BENJAMIN LINDSAY  JUNE 12, 2018 1:36 PM
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/06/greg-berlanti-trevorlive-acceptance-speech

Greg Berlanti Wants to "Help Young Artists" After Signing $400M Overall Deal at Warner Bros. TV
JUNE 12, 2018 1:52pm PT by Evan Real
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/greg-berlanti-mega-warner-bros-tv-deal-i-want-help-young-artists-1119487 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

BR talked a lot about his experience playing Superman in Superman Returns and also gave his thoughts on the current Superman films (he was diplomatic)...

Brandon Routh Interview - 2018 Superman Celebration in Metropolis Illinois
Published on Jun 13, 2018, by Superman Homepage

An exclusive interview with Brandon Routh during the 2018 Superman Celebration in Metropolis, Illinois.

• Love 3
(edited)

All 11 Marvel TV shows, definitively ranked (including 'Cloak and Dagger')
Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY Published 9:16 a.m. ET June 11, 2018 | Updated 9:37 a.m. ET June 12, 2018
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/06/11/marvel-tv-11-shows-definitively-ranked-including-cloak-and-dagger-luke-cage-jessica-jones-iron-fist/674725002/

1. Agent Carter (ABC) 

Canceled after just two seasons, this gem of a series followed Hayley Atwell's Captain America: The First Avenger character, Peggy Carter. Zippy, fun and grounded by Atwell's overwhelming charisma, the spy series was the most natural way to connect the popular movies to the TV shows, and the strongest Marvel series by far. It perhaps would have fared better with its cousins on a cable or streaming network, but at least Atwell still pops up in flashbacks in the Marvel movies every so often. 
8. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC)

The first Marvel series is also one of the most uneven. In its early seasons the show was little more than a weekly advertisement for the Marvel films, a cheap knockoff of CSI with casual references to Thor. But later seasons course-corrected slightly by focusing on the core characters, and it developed a cult following. 

1. Agent Carter (ABC) 
2. Jessica Jones (Netflix) 
3.  Luke Cage (Netflix) 
4. Cloak and Dagger (Freeform) 
5. Runaways (Hulu) 
6. Daredevil (Netflix)
7. The Defenders (Netflix) 
8. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC)
9. The Punisher (Netflix) 
10. Iron Fist (Netflix)
11. Inhumans (ABC) 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

In other words, Aquaman won't be depressing, won't have a desaturated color palette and won't be a Zack Snyder film...

DC team breaks silence on James Wan's Aquaman: 'It's extraordinary'
JAMES HIBBERD  June 12, 2018 at 02:47 PM EDT
http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/12/james-wan-dc-aquaman/

EW exclusively spoke to the film’s producers and the studio’s executive brass about the next title in the DC Extended Universe coming Dec. 21. The film starring former Game of Thrones star Jason Momoa as the half-Atlantean, half-human superhero has been shrouded in secrecy and has only publicly released a couple photos so far, but there are hints that a trailer could be coming soon. The movie represents the first superhero film by director James Wan, best known for his work on The Conjuring and Insidious films, yet also tackled Furious 7 — the top-grossing film of the Fast & Furious franchise.
One of the film’s producers, Peter Safran, tells us the film has, “got the great action you expect, it’s got a lot of great humor, it works on so many levels … it’s a testament to James’ unique vision. I think it’s an extraordinary step in DC Universe that sets it on the right path.”
DC Entertainment president Geoff Johns (who recently announced he was exiting the company for a writing and producing deal) knows plenty about Aquaman, having penned some of the comics in addition to co-writing the story for the standalone film.

“The underwater stuff has never been executed like this before,” Johns tells us. “The visual effects shots coming in are just beautiful. James can switch modes from horror to big bright colorful action to really emotional scenes. He’s so able to hit all these different genres.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hide contents

Do you think it's a hallucination????

If it is, people will be incredibly disappointed/ She would be shooting herself in the foot to get buzz based on a hallucination.

(edited)
Spoiler

I thought it was announced a while ago that Pine signed a multi film deal. So him being back isn't all surprising.

I'm just curious how they're gonna do without messing up continuity of the the last film and present day Diana.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
(edited)

Playbill article has a few pics...

See Supergirl Star Melissa Benoist Make Her Broadway Debut in Beautiful
BY HANNAH VINE  JUN 13, 2018
http://www.playbill.com/article/see-supergirl-star-melissa-benoist-make-her-broadway-debut-in-beautiful

Melissa Benoist celebrated her official opening night as Carole King in Beautiful June 12 after beginning performances June 7. She’ll play a limited engagement at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre through August 4. Known for her leading performance on the CW’s Supergirl, this marks her official Broadway debut.

Melissa Benoist Sings “I Feel The Earth Move” | BEAUTIFUL – THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL
Published on Jun 8, 2018, by BeautifulOnBway

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

*DA Cecile Horton, Deadline.

But that's nice, I liked her and thinks she gels well with the rest of the cast (minus the Girls' Night episode, but we can all forget about that), although I'm surprised she was promoted publicly before Hartley Sawyer, unless they aren't going to and I would be fine with that.

• Love 2

Teen Choice Awards nominees (first wave).  DCTV and Marvel nominees in the "Action" categories:

Choice Action TV Show
Arrow
Gotham
Lethal Weapon
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Supergirl
The Flash

Choice Action TV Actor
Chris Wood — Supergirl
Damon Wayans — Lethal Weapon
David Mazouz — Gotham
Grant Gustin — The Flash
Lucas Till — MacGyver
Stephen Amell — Arrow

Choice Action TV Actress
Caity Lotz — DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
Candice Patton — The Flash
Chloe Bennet — Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Danielle Panabaker — The Flash
Emily Bett Rickards — Arrow
Melissa Benoist — Supergirl

And iZombie got a couple in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Categories:

Choice Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show
iZombie
Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments
Stranger Things
Supernatural
The 100
The Originals

Choice Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress
Eliza Taylor — The 100
Emeraude Toubia — Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments
Katherine McNamara — Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments
Lana Parrilla — Once Upon a Time
Millie Bobby Brown — Stranger Things
Rose McIver — iZombie

(edited)

Legends writers and actors are really out here tweeting an article that praises Ava as an amazing character, while trashing Iris & Felicity. I just have to laugh at this point because Ava started as an awful character, but ended up as an even more awful clone. I enjoyed LOT last season but out of all the shows, it services their characters individually the least.

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/legends-of-tomorrow-season-4-sara-ava-relationship

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JJ928 said:

Legends writers and actors are really out here tweeting an article that praises Ava as an amazing character, while trashing Iris & Felicity. I just have to laugh at this point because Ava started as an awful character, but ended up as an even more awful clone. I enjoyed LOT last season but out of all the shows, it services their characters individually the least.

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/legends-of-tomorrow-season-4-sara-ava-relationship

Who was tweeting it?

I didn't read the whole article but I skimmed to the Iris and Felicity part and seriously I'm assuming this person has never watched Arrow. I can't speak for Flash cause I haven't watched since season 1 but Felicity runs Team Arrow, has worked in and developed businesses, has learnt to become a mother with her own built relationship with William and also regularly argues with or challenges decision Oliver makes that she doesn't agree with.  Her relationship is only one facet of her character and it seems like the only people who choose to focus on that are the people who hate Felicity for simply daring to exsist. 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Who was tweeting it?

I didn't read the whole article but I skimmed to the Iris and Felicity part and seriously I'm assuming this person has never watched Arrow. I can't speak for Flash cause I haven't watched since season 1 but Felicity runs Team Arrow, has worked in and developed businesses, has learnt to become a mother with her own built relationship with William and also regularly argues with or challenges decision Oliver makes that she doesn't agree with.  Her relationship is only one facet of her character and it seems like the only people who choose to focus on that are the people who hate Felicity for simply daring to exsist. 

Ray Utarnachitt, Jes Macallan,& LOTwriters. I mean, they either don't watch or are one of those ppl that have a hate boner for Iris & Felicity, two extremely essential people on their shows. The writing for the women suck across the arrowverse, but Iris and Felicity while they may be lacking in storyline, they're not defined by their partners. Both are their own person, with their own development.... to compare their years of development with a one dimensional clone is ridiculous. I unfollowed them.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 6

As a Legends fan, Ava was a telegraphed love interest from the moment she appeared on screen being bitchy to Sara. That was definitely them trying to do the they hate each other but lust after each other trope. And Ava's complete turnaround came out of nowhere, she went from episode calling Sara and her team idiots to the next episode flirting and being shy. The Clone arc actually  made it make sense if the first Ava we met was a different clone and the next clone liked Sara. 

I don't know about Felicity since I pretty much stopped watching Arrow after season 2, that is true for the Flash. Iris is barely her own person. She might get something to do for one or two episodes a season. Other than that she'll sit in Star Labs telling the team what to do while they do whatever they want. She lost all of her outside storylines so she can be Barry's cheerleader, even though the entire cast of the Flash does the same thing for him. I don't even think Candice is happy with how her character is treated. 

However most of the time the people that write those articles don't watch the other shows and only go by what they read. Iris and Felicity were probably included for click bait. Those articles are purely opinion pieces of one person. Of course the LoT writers and Jes are going to rewtweet it, it's about them and her. The writer didn't call Iris and Felicity names just stated what she thought was happening on the other shows they most likely don't watch. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Plus, not to be overtly belligerent, Iris and Felicity have more nuance than Ava, whom I kind of see as more of the semi-stereotypical "antagonist has a soft spot" kind of character. Felicity goes beyond the nerd girl stereotype and Iris (to an extent) goes beyond the girlfriend role.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know about Felicity since I pretty much stopped watching Arrow after season 2, that is true for the Flash. Iris is barely her own person. She might get something to do for one or two episodes a season. Other than that she'll sit in Star Labs telling the team what to do while they do whatever they want. She lost all of her outside storylines so she can be Barry's cheerleader, even though the entire cast of the Flash does the same thing for him. I don't even think Candice is happy with how her character is treated. 

However most of the time the people that write those articles don't watch the other shows and only go by what they read. Iris and Felicity were probably included for click bait. Those articles are purely opinion pieces of one person. Of course the LoT writers and Jes are going to rewtweet it, it's about them and her. The writer didn't call Iris and Felicity names just stated what she thought was happening on the other shows they most likely don't watch. 

All the women across the board, even on LOT need better storylines, no doubt. But even tho ALL of the flash characters were stuck in star labs, to ignore the other three season of development for Iris is ridiculous, same goes for Felicity. Felicity though did have a couple episodes dedicated to her, and she had personal development this season. You can argue that she doesn't watch the show, but then don't use her as a comparison. Like I said, I enjoy LOT but the characters on that show, every single one, haven't had a fraction of development as any of the characters on Flash/Arrow, and I'm someone who doesn't really like Flash.... or Arrow sometimes.

People can rt what they want but I can still side-eye them for it & I will lol. Some of these character were born on those shows and let's be real, Sara & Ray both had more depth on Arrow then they've gotten on Legends (and Arrow didn't treat Sara's bisexuality as a joke like lot does), Wally who was treated like dirt on Flash had more development than on LOT. I enjoy Legends for the Beebo of it all but the character are all in a tiny box and the show doesn't let them expand past that. Now someone like Ava? She doesn't even have a box, she's like annoying wallpaper. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JJ928 said:

People can rt what they want but I can still side-eye them for it & I will lol. Some of these character were born on those shows and let's be real, Sara & Ray both had more depth on Arrow then they've gotten on Legends

I think thats a bit unfair. I do think that Ray and Sara had more nuance in Arrow, but I wouldn't say that no one on LoT has any depth or development. They have all had episodes to deal with their issues, and have dealt with some pretty intense stuff, in between the wackiness. Now, I might just be a delusional LoT fan wearing my rose colored glasses, and I admit that the show can play things for laughs a bit too much and I wish they played things more seriously more often, but I dont think the characters have no development, or that the other shows do so much better. At least, unlike on Flash or Arrow, it doesn't make me straight up loath any of the character Im supposed to like they do sometimes. 

As for Ava, she isnt a very interesting character, and she basically had Love Interest stuck on her forehead from day one. They were clearly going for the "hard ass with a heart of gold" character, and the "enemies to lovers" thing with their relationship, and it just didnt work organically. One day Ava was a total asshole who hated Sara and her crew, and the next, she was cool with them, with no real time in between. I like that Sara has a love interest, and I think Jess is a fine actress, and the Ava we have now is a decent character, but the development kind of popped out of nowhere, and I just dont have much interest in their romance. I dont hate it, but I dont care that much. Really, I keep hoping that its revealed that bitchy Ava was a totally different Ava clone than the one we met after Beebo day, that would explain why she seems like a totally new person! The idea that she can compare to Iris and Felicity is ridiculous. 

But, I generally dont think the Arrowverse is great at purposefully writing romance. Most of their best romances, like Olicity, just happened organically, and in the background, like Dig and Lyla, or worked because of the excellent actor chemistry, like Grant and Candace, but the stuff when they TRY to do high romance, like Laurel/Oliver, Ray/Kendra, or any other designated romances, they tend to fall flat. 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think thats a bit unfair. I do think that Ray and Sara had more nuance in Arrow, but I wouldn't say that no one on LoT has any depth or development. They have all had episodes to deal with their issues, and have dealt with some pretty intense stuff, in between the wackiness. Now, I might just be a delusional LoT fan wearing my rose colored glasses, and I admit that the show can play things for laughs a bit too much and I wish they played things more seriously more often, but I dont think the characters have no development, or that the other shows do so much better. At least, unlike on Flash or Arrow, it doesn't make me straight up loath any of the character Im supposed to like they do sometimes. 

I admit to not loving any single character on LOT, so I can watch it without too much care. Ray is probably my fave and they've done him dirty, but if there was a character that I was invested in, the way I am with Diggle, Felicity, and Iris then I'd hate this show too. I like LOT because I can watch the show for laughs and not care too much about them treating their characters like trash, the only thing that has always bothered me is their treatment of bisexuality. The problem is that they totally ignore the fact that characters like Sara & Ray came on full formed, with history, and plenty to build off of. Instead, they rebooted each character in a way that they have little connection to their past selves. Phone home was my fave ep because it gave Ray a little more depth, we got to see his childhood and some of his insecurities. Imagine that episode with the Ray we knew on Arrow... the one that was motivated, confident (boarding on annoyingly cock), that Ray who had to be humbled by someone else... that episode would have been that much more effective. But Legends took Ray and turned him into a genius idiot, and I still like him, but his character is flat to me most of the time. They have made him so goofy, I don't know if that Ray from Arrow really existed or it flashpoint erased him. Now he's around for hijinks and bro hugs most of the time and if I were invested in him, I would be pissed.

Same with Sara. She was resurrected & soulless until Constantine returned her soul, she has history with the League, Nyssa, and Oliver, history with her family (even if it's bad). Sara on Arrow was tortured because of the things she did, she felt undeserving of happiness and she was protective of people  (Sin never to be remembered). Legends has made light of her past imo, sure she's still angry & feels undeserving of love but, 3 seasons in and they won't let her move past it (maybe that's why she likes that trash bucket Ava), and pretty much ignored anything good she had before LOT. They love saying she's an assassin/ killer but they don't like explaining why she had to become those things, if you didn't watch Arrow I guess you assume she was just an awful human. On top of that they  treat her like Kenny, with killing her off or almost killing her periodically. She's not sex positive (which would be something I like), no her sexuality and bed hopping has been used to shame her (characters on the show shaming her), titillation, and a general joke (This is the most offensive to me). I remember parts of season 1 and she actually had relationships with Ray &  Hawkgirl, this season felt like she was a captain but she lost any real connection with the rest of her team, in favor of this Ava story. Again, I say this as someone who doesn't have much invested in these characters because otherwise I would not be able to watch. Legends was my fave of all the shows this season because it was fun, but it really did not do any of its characters justice. Also, Klemmer is an ass and as long as he's around I don't see it changing.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 3