Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

‘Black Lightning’ Review: The CW’s Latest Superhero Series Sets a New Bar

Since I’ve only seen two episodes of Black Lightning, it’s impossible to say whether or not the show will continue with the quality it’s shown in its first hours. But it is immensely promising, and perhaps finally delivering on the hope that Luke Cage first provided. Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil’s scripts are sharp and clear, and the production has style. This is a show that knows what it wants to say, and how it wants to say it. From the music to the direction, to the smart use of everyday tech and the thoughtful set dressing and costuming (I could go on for days about the cozy shop owned by a tailor, Gambi — played by James Remar— Jefferson’s oldest friend and surrogate father), all of it is indicative of a show confident in what it wants to be.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Broken Arrow was the episode where Ray just totally clicked for me within the context of the Arrowverse. Before that he, and Felicity, were largely isolated on Palmer Island so it was difficult to know how he would work with other characters and as a masked hero. I wish Arrow had put Oliver and Ray in scenes together much sooner because they were such a delight. I mean, really, put Oliver with a joyful, optimistic character and it usually works very well. I say usually because Curtis seems to be the exception. But Felicity, Barry, Kara, Ray — it's a lot of fun to pair them with grumpy Oliver. (Which may be the reason why Evil Kara and Evil Oliver didn't work, because there's no contrast there). 

I'd love to see a crossover with Ray visiting Star City and having him work with both Oliver & Felicity again. 

I think Curtis is less joyful and optimistic and more hyper and enthusiastic but pessimistic and bitter.  Did he come off as very optimistic in season four?  I don't remember. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

I think Curtis is less joyful and optimistic and more hyper and enthusiastic but pessimistic and bitter.  Did he come off as very optimistic in season four?  I don't remember. 

You may be right. I thought I remembered him being such in S4 but now I can't recall his scenes. All that I remember is the bitter, angry dude in 609.

5 hours ago, tofutan said:

Not a fan of the look they went for for Brainiac5. If your gonna make his hair a different color from what the actor has, why not make it blond like in the comics? 

That is one ugly hair piece they gave him.  They Definitely won't be pursuing anything with him/kara on the show, they would've made him look better.

• Love 3

It’s Super! It’s Heroic! It’s The DC In D.C. Pop-Up Shop
By Official Press Release   Thursday, January 4th, 2018
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/01/04/it’s-super-it’s-heroic-it’s-the-dc-in-dc-pop-up-shop

DC fans in the Washington, D.C. area are in for a treat when DC’s greatest Super Heroes arrive for DC in D.C. on Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend. In addition to panel discussions, screenings and more, Warner Bros. Television Group (WBTVG) and DC Entertainment are sponsoring a limited-time DC in D.C. Pop-Up Shop that will be open Friday, January 12–Sunday, January 14, 2018, in front of the Newseum.
A fully transportable, high-tech container space that measures 40 feet by 10 feet, the DC Pop-Up Shop will not only support a DC merchandise shop, charging stations and a free Jitters coffee bar, but will also feature interactive displays covering the history of DC — from its earliest origins to the television powerhouses that those Super Heroes represent today. And even though it’s cold outside, the Pop-Up Shop is fully heated. Features of the DC Pop-Up Shop include the following:

• Graphic Novels for Sale: Available for purchase at the Pop-Up Shop will be the Top 50 Greatest DC graphic novels of all-time. Among the many titles will be fan-favorites and cult classics such as The Death of Superman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The Killing Joke, Crisis on Infinite Earths and more. Also available will be a collection of books for young readers (ages 10 and above), including Teen Titans and DC Super Hero Girls.
  • Giant Comic Panels: On both sides of the shop will be a series of two dozen 7-by-4-foot flip panels featuring Titan-sized reproductions of some of the most iconic comic-book covers in history. Not only a fantastic photo opportunity, but fans will have the ability to flip their way through the history of DC and how comics are made. There’s even a behind-the-scenes look at the production process with the “How to Build a Hero” station. Imagine standing face-to-face with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and more as they look out from life-sized comic books! Both educational in their scope, they also provide a wealth of social media interaction with Instagrammable moments from the history of comics.
  • Talent Appearances & Signings: Visiting talent from both WBTV and DC Entertainment will stop by to meet fans and sign autographs. The casts from WBTV’s Gotham and Black Lightning are currently slated to attend, alongside noted DC writers and artists including Jim Lee (Batman: Hush), Tom King (Batman, Mister Miracle) and Geoff Johns (Rebirth, Doomsday Clock).
  • Jitters Coffee: Free coffee! Any fan of WBTV’s The Flash (Tuesdays at 8/7c on The CW) will be familiar with CC Jitters, the go-to coffee house of the extended Arrow-verse. Washington, D.C.’s DC fans will be thrilled to learn that Jitters will be open as part of the Pop-Up Shop and serving free coffee for three days (January 12–14).  Warm up with a cup in the fully-heated retail space.
  • DC Super Hero Costumes: On display, the actual costumes worn by Barry Allen aka The Flash (series star Grant Gustin) and Kara Danvers aka Supergirl (series star Melissa Benoist) in their respective WBTV series (The Flash airing Tuesdays at 8/7c and Supergirl on Mondays at 8/7c on The CW).
  • Black Lightning Charging Station: Tying into the Saturday night world premiere of WBTV’s Black Lightning (Tuesdays at 9/8c on The CW), the Pop-Up Shop will also feature a Black Lightning charging station for visitors to “Power Up” their devices on the go.  
  • LED Megascreen: On the back side of the Pop-Up Shop, facing the Capitol Building, an enormous 15-by-9-foot LED screen will be running living art (motion graphics) of iconic comics and high-impact, super-powered video clips and trailers featuring DC Super Heroes from comics and television. 
  • Custom T-Shirts: Also available for purchase onsite will be a selection of nine exclusive DC in D.C. themed T-shirts featuring DC’s greatest Super Heroes and imagery of DC’s greatest books. Artwork will include Superman meets JFK, Superman meets Reagan, Action Comics #1, Detective Comics No. 27, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Black Lightning, Freedom Fighters and more.
  • Funko Figurines: DC fans will be able to purchase a curated selection of DC Funko Pop! Figures, including fan favorites from the worlds of Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Wonder Woman, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Batman, Superman and more DC heroes.
  • Hours & Location: The DC in D.C. Pop-Up Shop will be open Friday–Sunday, January 12–14, from 10:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m. and can be found in front of the Newseum at 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, D.C.

Pop-Up-Render-01-Front-640x300.jpg
Pop-Up-Render-02-Back.jpg 
(pic source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Article includes a short video clip (go to link to watch)...

‘Legends of Tomorrow’ crew transforms Cloverdale United Church for film shoot
SAMANTHA ANDERSON  Jan. 4, 2018 10:27 a.m.
https://www.cloverdalereporter.com/entertainment/legends-of-tomorrow-crew-transforms-cloverdale-united-church-for-film-shoot/

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow is filming at Cloverdale United Church this morning.
Cast and crew were also on site yesterday, and set up tombstones to create a graveyard that can be seen from Highway 15.

10056851_web1_copy_180104-CLR-M-LoTFilmi 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I don't watch The Flash, so I can't comment on a lot of this article. However, I did find it somewhat humorous how some of these complaints mirror complaints about Arrow...

Dead Heat: 15 Reasons Why Diehard Fans Don’t Watch The Flash
01.03.2018  by Octavio Karbank
https://www.cbr.com/cw-ruined-the-flash/

2. TOO MUCH MELODRAMA
The Flash comic books are full of high-flying adventure, time travel, and saving the world from insane threats. Though they do have certain levels of drama, just like people in real life, in no way are they a soap opera. Granted, The Flash takes place on the CW, which is known for the melodrama included in nearly all of its shows, but it doesn’t mesh particularly well with The Flash.

Much of the melodrama, especially when it comes to relationships or characters struggling to find their identities, comes across as trite and unnecessary. These are the moments that take the viewers out of the show. Rather than focusing on important matters, like the Flash and his relationship with the multiverse, the show often diverges to Barry and Iris’s love life or the romantic entanglements of pretty much every other character.

15. BARRY’S CONSTANT WHINING
14. CAITLIN SNOW
13. JESSE AND WALLY’S RELATIONSHIP
12. TIME TRAVEL INCONSISTENCIES
11. KARA AND BARRY
10. TOO MUCH CGI
9. CLASSIC ICONOGRAPHY MISUSED
8. WEIRD TONAL SHIFTS
7. THE FLASH IS WATERED DOWN
6. THE CRISIS
5. FLASH VILLAINS WERE RUINED
4. BARRY IS A JERK
3. INCONSISTENT WRITING
2. TOO MUCH MELODRAMA
1. THE LOSS OF CAPTAIN COLD

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Warner Bros. Taps Walter Hamada to Oversee DC Films Production (EXCLUSIVE)
Brent Lang   January 4, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/warner-bros-taps-walter-hamada-to-oversee-dc-films-production-exclusive-1202652878/

As part of a shake-up of its DC film operations, Warner Bros. is promoting Walter Hamada to oversee its comic book movies, Variety has learned. He will serve as president of DC-based film production. In December, the studio decided to replace Jon Berg and Geoff Johns as the heads of the DC movies. Berg became a production partner with Roy Lee, the producer of “The Lego Movie” and “It,” who has a deal on the lot.

Johns remains at DC as a president and chief creative officer, but his portfolio doesn’t just involve film. He will continue to provide creative guidance into the company’s television and comic book efforts. In an official announcement of Hamada’s hire, Warner Bros. said Johns will “work closely” with the new production president.

The move comes as DC is looking for more quality control of its big-screen efforts — the studio captured acclaim and box office bonanza with last summer’s “Wonder Woman,” but was savaged by critics for “Suicide Squad” and “Justice League.” There is widespread frustration over DC’s failure to match the popularity of Marvel movies.
Hamada previously served for a decade as a production executive at New Line, a division of Warner Bros. There, he helped shepherd such horror hits as “It,” “The Gallows,” and “The Conjuring” to cinemas. The executive enjoys a close relationship with director James Wan, who is directing “Aquaman” for DC, and is credited with helping expand “The Conjuring” universe by making a well-received sequel to the movie, as well as spinoffs with the “Annabelle” series. He will be leaving New Line to work for Warners, and will also oversee any other types of comic book movies that the studio produces outside of the DC canon.

Edited by tv echo

No executive session for the CW on Sunday

The CW president Mark Pedowitz, a staple at the Television Critics Association's winter and summer press tours, has opted to skip his time before press during the network's morning Sunday.

The news, confirmed Friday when The CW sent their schedule to press. Instead, The CW will only panel midseason shows Black Lightning and Life Sentence. Pedowitz will still be in attendance but will not take the stage for his standard time before reporters.

29 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Hmm.  Wonder why.  Afraid of the questions he might get about Kriesberg?  Or something else?

I seriously doubt. One it was months ago, Two AJK was a WB/Berlanti problem, not a CW problem (he was employed by WB) and three this is a media event they don't ask those types of questions in this type of forum.

Agents of Shield is sooooo good.

They had an opening scene of maybe a minute (poor boy trying to survive wanted a wedge of orange to eat) and it had me tearing up for the plight of the poor boy, a kid I have never seen on the show before.

Compare that to the Noobs Arrow keeps trying to sell me whom I only feel contempt for and constantly wish death upon (not Dinah, I don't mind Dinah most of the time. She can bore me sometimes but doesn't make me rage).

On another note FitzSimmons are adorable!!!!!! 

• Love 5

To be fair, I hate Deke so much I wanted him gone with every single scene he's in, yet he seems to be the one besides Flint (who now has grown on me) who's sticking around.

Anyways yep really good episode (directed by Clark Gregg! He did a good job), and loved

Spoiler

FitzSimmons finally getting engaged and them finally on the same page of screwing that "curse."

• Love 2

Arrow - Flash - Gotham - Supergirl - Legends: DVDs of 'DC Mega Starter Pack: The Complete 1st Seasons'
Posted by David Lambert  1/05/20
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Arrow-DC-Mega-Starter-Pack/23906

Warner Home Video is releasing a gift set called the "DC Mega Starter Pack: The Complete 1st Seasons" on DVD. It contains first seasons of all four current "Flarrowverse" shows, plus Gotham as well. It's $79.99 SRP, and will be available this coming Tuesday, January 9th. It's the same sets already available individually, but packaged together into one collection. Here is the packaging:

DCMegaStarterPack_S1_DVD.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The CW’s Gaye Hirsch Promoted To EVP Development
by Nellie Andreeva •  January 5, 2018 10:30am
http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-cw-gaye-hirsch-promoted-evp-development-1202236143/

The CW’s head of scripted development Gaye Hirsch has been upped to EVP, Development, taking over the top programming post at the network that had been held by Thom Sherman until he left in May to go to CBS. The promotion formalizes expanded responsibilities Hirsch had assumed following Sherman’s departure. She is now overseeing all scripted and alternative series development, as well as current alternative series and specials. She reports to the CW president Mark Pedowitz, who just extended his contract with the network.

“Gaye has done a fantastic job leading our scripted development team, and I’m thrilled to officially announce her expanded new role,” said Pedowitz. “Over the past several seasons, Gaye has shepherded some of the most iconic series on television for us, from Jane the Virgin to Riverdale, and I’m delighted that she’ll continue as a key part of our leadership team.”

The promotion comes a year after Hirsch was named SVP and head of Scripted Development last January. She has been closely involved in the development of all CW scripted series, including The Flash, Arrow, Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Riverdale, this fall’s Dynasty and Valor and the upcoming Black Lightning and Life Sentence.

Edited by tv echo

Kyle and Chance (subbing for Natalie Abrams) discussed the upcoming premiere of Black Lightning (minor spoilers), as well as last night's new episode of Agents of SHIELD, before giving their predictions for this year...

Entertainment Weekly - Superhero Insider
January 5, 2018  Kyle Anderson and Chancellor Agard 

-- Per Kyle, Natalie has four predictions for the comic book world in 2018:
(1)  This will be the final season of Agents of SHIELD.  (Kyle & Chance agreed with this prediction.)
(2)  Black Lightning will get a very swift renewal.  (Kyle & Chance agreed with this prediction.)
(3)  Jessica Jones and Trish Walker will hook up in the second season of Jessica Jones. (Lol... Chance found this prediction weird because it's "quasi" incestual and compared it to The Flash's Barry & Iris growing up together like siblings and getting married - "sure, they're not related but it's still kinda weird".)
(4)  Captain America will die in Infinity War. (Chance thought that, even if this happens, Marvel will still find a way to bring Steve Rogers back in some form for the next Avengers movie, which is the "finale" to this phase of the MCU.)

-- Chance has two predictions for the comic book world in 2018 (both for Arrow):
(1)  Willa Holland will leave Arrow after this season.
(2)  Huntress will return in the back half of this season on Arrow.

-- Kyle has one prediction for the comic book world in 2018:
(1)  This is the first year that a superhero movie will get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and the breakout movie will be Black Panther. When Chance asked why not Logan or Wonder Woman, Kyle said, "Yeah, I think it's still too soon." (I don't know what he meant by this comment.)

Edited by tv echo

Fox developing 'new iteration' of Prison Break
NATALIE ABRAMS January 04, 2018 AT 01:36 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/04/prison-break-season-6/

“We are developing a new iteration of Prison Break,” said Fox Entertainment President Michael Thorn told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour Thursday. “It’s very early stages of development, but we’re really excited about it.”

It’s unclear if the series, which stars Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, and Sarah Wayne Callies, will be completely revamped for this new go-round or the current cast will just return for a sixth season. Back in December, Purcell wrote on Instagram that season 6 was “in the works,” so the latter seems more likely.

UPDATE: Following the panel, EW pressed Fox Chairman and CEO Gary Newman for more information. “No, it would not be an entirely new cast,” he said. “It’s very early at this stage. Paul Scheuring had an idea for another season, and he came and pitched it to Michael and the team. They were excited about it, but it’s super early. We haven’t seen any written materials at all.”

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

(1)  This is the first year that a superhero movie will get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and the breakout movie will be Black Panther. When Chance asked why not Logan or Wonder Woman, Kyle said, "Yeah, I think it's still too soon." (I don't know what he meant by this comment.)

Not speaking for Kyle, but even after Return of the King, the Academy still tends to be a bit snobbish about genre films and about superhero films in particular.  Even with ten open Best Picture nominee slots, I'd have to agree the chances for Logan and Wonder Woman are pretty slim. Not non-existent, but slim.

That said, I am hoping that Wonder Woman and The Last Jedi manage to pick up Cinematography nods - particularly The Last Jedi. I will howl if both of them are overlooked in that slot.  I'd also like to see Wonder Woman pick up nods for Production Design (I'm thinking mostly of the London scenes, to be honest; those were just beautifully framed) and Editing, and I'd say it's a safe bet that The Last Jedi will pick up a Production Design award, and it's always possible that Guardians or Thor: Ragnorak could pick up an unexpected award there. (I wouldn't nominate either, but that's me.) And I suspect genre films will pick up the usual sound editing/sound/visual effects/makeup awards, and the Academy might as well go ahead and toss John Williams another nomination so we can have all of the red carpet fun of "Sure, sure, it's a nomination, but you'll never catch up to Walt Disney. Does that bother you?" So genre films won't be completely left out. 

• Love 5

Dark Knight missed the cut. General agreement is that The Reader* got its spot.  The prevailing theory is that DK was #6 on the list that year, which I think is true because the next year they changed the rules and expanded the Best Picture category. There was an outcry when it didn’t get nominated but I don’t think that Academy would have made the change if it hadn’t gotten close. 

*The Reader was distributed by The Weinstein Company and Harvey had a bully reputation long before the sexual assault allegations (especially when Oscars were on the line) so I also think plenty of people wanted to nominate Dark Knight but just enough were pressured to vote otherwise. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

*The Reader was distributed by The Weinstein Company and Harvey had a bully reputation long before the sexual assault allegations (especially when Oscars were on the line) so I also think plenty of people wanted to nominate Dark Knight but just enough were pressured to vote otherwise. 

Yeah, if memory serves, a number of people were quietly whispering/speculating about this at the time - and not just WB/Time Warner people, either - and the Academy's sudden decision to expand the field after decades of refusing to do so just seemed to confirm those rumors. 

It was hardly the first time that Miramax/The Weinstein Company was, shall we say, enthusiastic about their projects to/with members of the Film/Television Academies. 

• Love 3

Hugh Jackman was the host that year and his opening number not only included The Dark Knight (it was about the actual BP nominees), but also made fun of The Reader (Jackman sang that he hadn't seen it) and all but agreed that it got DK's spot. 

Heh, all of this is making me want to watch The Dark Knight.  I mean, the desire's always there since that movie is so fucking brilliant, but it's getting amplified. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Hugh Jackman was the host that year and his opening number not only included The Dark Knight (it was about the actual BP nominees), but also made fun of The Reader (Jackman sang that he hadn't seen it) and all but agreed that it got DK's spot. 

Heh, all of this is making me want to watch The Dark Knight.  I mean, the desire's always there since that movie is so fucking brilliant, but it's getting amplified. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

It's the one Batman movie I find I can watch over and over.  I don't seek it out but if it's on, I keep finding myself watching it no matter where I come in.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I very much remember the Dark Knight/The Reader controversy, and basically everyone was saying that The Reader got the slot meant for DK because of A. An aggressive push from the Weinsten company and B. Snobbery on the part of the academy blinding them to actual quality. “A mediocre movie about an Oscar Bait subject vs a critically acclaimed Superhero movie? Sign us up for mediocrity!” And seemed to say that the subject of the film was more important than the quality. Hence expanded categories the next year.  

• Love 2

I always suspected Harvey Weinstein brought/bullied Gwyneth Paltrows oscars win for Shakespeare in love when most people thought Cate Blanchett was the more worthy choice. Not to mention Shakespeare in love beating both a critical and commercial success and just a well made film like Saving Private Ryan for best picture. *

ETA:*Or for that matter Life is Beautiful that also seem far more worthy for best picture selection then Shakespeare in love. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's the one Batman movie I find I can watch over and over.  I don't seek it out but if it's on, I keep finding myself watching it no matter where I come in.

It's that rare movie that I place in the Perfection category.  Objectively, it has its flaws, though few in number, but it comes together in every way I never knew I always wanted so those flaws don't matter in comparison.  I watch it and I come away thinking "EVERYTHING", which is what every story strives for.  It's also what got me to actually read comics regularly rather than flipping through a book at a friend's house.  I just wanted more and more Batman and now here I am.  My first comic purchase was the trade paperback for The Long Halloween because Nolan borrowed elements for The Dark Knight and it's still a top five favorite.  I also read Year One and Knightfall since he borrowed from them for Begins and Rises respectively but Long Halloween is one I come back to again and again.  Halloween also got me hunting other Batman stories from Jeph Loeb and that's how I found Hush.  The first one, not the follow ups.  To this day, Hush is my favorite Batman story and it wouldn't be in my life if not for The Dark Knight. 

The Dark Knight is also my favorite movie-at-midnight memory.  I can't really explain it if you didn't have a similar experience but The Pencil Moment elicited a reaction that I've never heard before or since.  The best way I can think to explain is it was like Falling In Love suddenly became a sound.  That moment everyone fell in love with Heath's Joker and happily moved on from Nicholson's.  It was awesome.

The Dark Knight just rules. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I always suspected Harvey Weinstein brought/bullied Gwyneth Paltrows oscars win for Shakespeare in love when most people thought Cate Blanchett was the more worthy choice. Not to mention Shakespeare in love beating both a critical and commercial success and just a well made film like Saving Private Ryan for best picture. *

ETA:*Or for that matter Life is Beautiful that also seem far more worthy for best picture selection then Shakespeare in love. 

Life is Beautiful was released in the U.S. by Miramax, so, that loss presumably had zilch to do with Weinstein - especially since the film generated quite a few grumblings in Hollywood and on the film festival circuit. It did win Best Foreign Film that year, probably because Weinstein was pushing it. 

I'm a huge fan of Shakespeare in Love - which was also a critical and commercial success, and a well made film. And I personally don't rank Saving Private Ryan among Spielberg's better films, exciting new stuff with cameras and doing fun things with lenses and then droning on and on and on about LOOK WHAT WE DID TO THE NEGATIVES aside. All that said, I'd agree that was one year where Weinstein's, er, enthusiasm left a mark on the Academy voting.

To bring this back on topic, all of you now have me realizing that I probably should watch The Dark Knight again.

• Love 3

Fox shows won't end up on ABC as part of Disney merger, chairman promises
LYNETTE RICE   January 04, 2018 AT 01:25 PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/04/fox-shows-abc-disney-merger/

“Fox Broadcasting Shows will continue to be on FBC,” Chairman and CEO Dana Walden told reporters Thursday in Pasadena. “There is no plans to move Fox shows over to ABC.”

But there will be a new division as part of the billion-dollar merger. Fox Broadcasting Co, along with Fox News and the Fox owned and operated stations, will be spun off into the “new Fox,” explained Fox TV Group Chairman Gary Newman.

“It will be a very robust, nimble company,” Newman told reporters during the semi-annual Television Critics Association tour. “It’s an exciting and dynamic time for the TV business. New Fox will chart a new course.”

For the next 12 to 18 months, however, it will remain business as usual. “I do not mean to say what the future is,” cautions Newman. “The truth is, we don’t really know. We have to operate as if the deal won’t go through. Our anticipation is that it will go through… it will pass regulatory muster. This development season, we are reading scripts. We will make a similar amount of pilots as we have made in the past. We aren’t going to worry about what happens down the road when this deal happens.”

There haven’t even been creative discussions about the content, Newman added, though he is confident that Disney won’t “Disney-fy” their shows. “They were incredibly vocal to us about how much they liked our brand, how much they admired the programming,” he told reporters. “We have every expectation they are not acquiring Fox to somehow turn it into some form of a PG company, to ‘Disney-fy’ it.  They will be encouraging of our content.”

Edited by tv echo

Longer article on Fox/FX execs' comments on Disney takeover (I only quoted a portion)...

Critic's Notebook: Fox, FX Express No Disney Nervousness as Press Tour Begins
JANUARY 05, 2018 4:16pm PT by Daniel Fienberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/critics-notebook-fox-fx-disney-tca-press-tour-1072105

It's just that, from an industry adjacent position, Fox's television studio and FX becoming part of the Disney empire seems like a gigantic, industry-shaking deal. For me as TCA president, the mere idea of shifting FX from its normal position next to Fox in the normal press tour schedule to a new slot following ABC and next to Freeform and Toddler Disney feels huge and that's before one stops to think of the idea of a Fox Broadcasting Co. without a direct studio partner and fueled by a possible 80 percent live and sporting events.

To hear Fox Television Group chairmen and CEOs Gary Newman and Dana Walden tell it, things are currently "business as usual." That was a phrase they uttered three times in their opening press conference Thursday, the same number of times they used the word "robust," which was applied to New Fox, the TV studio and future ad sales.

For nearly 30 minutes, critics tried finding different ways to get Walden and Newman to break down and yell, "We don't know what the future will be, but it's dark and cold and we're scared."

The questions came in so many shapes and sizes that the room didn't even get around to asking anything about clouds of sexual impropriety hanging over the entire industry, this despite the fact that Fox's only major TCA announcement was a renewal for The Gifted.

Instead, it was variations on Newman's "The truth is we don’t really know, but I will tell you that we remain super-committed to the network and studio" and Walden's acknowledgement, "Clearly, we will have decisions to make over time."

And that time, as Walden and Newman told us on at least four or five occasions, may not come for 12 to 18 months and until then, it will be business as usual. Apparently.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

But will Lauren Shuler Donner be working with Kevin Feige (her former intern/assistant) or for Kevin Feige? ...

X-MEN PRODUCER WELCOMES AVENGERS–X-MEN CROSSOVER, WEIGHS IN ON HOLLYWOOD HARASSMENT
by Fred Topel | January 5, 2018 
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/x-men-producer-lauren-shuler-donner-on-avengers-x-men-and-hollywood-harassment/

The prospect of Disney owning 20th Century Fox’s film studio and Fox television properties is exciting for X-Men fans, who called for the franchise’s films to join with the Marvel Cinematic Universe of The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Doctor Strange when the deal was announced.

Lauren Shuler Donner, who produced all the X-Men movies, is executive producer on TV shows The Gifted and Legion, and will surely have some say in the franchise’s next steps, offered fans a ray of hope.

“Sure, why not?” she said in an interview with Rotten Tomatoes on Thursday at a Fox event during the Television Critics Association winter press tour. She also addressed what Hollywood’s #MeToo movement means to certain properties in the X-Men universe.
The deal was only approved in December, and both Disney and Fox give a timetable of up to 18 months to complete the sale. Shuler Donner already knows Disney CEO Bob Iger, Marvel Chief Kevin Feige, and Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn. She is optimistic about the films they can produce together.

“Look, it’s 18 months [away], so who knows,” Shuler Donner said. “For me, I think Bob Iger is one of the smartest men in the country. Alan Horn’s an old friend. Kevin Feige was my intern and assistant and then my associate producer on the first X-Men. Kevin and I started the X-Men together, so for me if we work with Kevin, I’m happy.”
Other Marvel projects are still in development at Fox. In fact, Legion creator Noah Hawley is writing a script for Doctor Doom, a solo film about the Fantastic Four villain.

Hawley told Rotten Tomatoes that the film is still on track, so that’s another Marvel film that could happen before or after the Disney merger.
The next X-Men movie in theaters will be the Deadpool sequel. Atomic Blonde director David Leitch directs the sequel, and Shuler Donner said fans can expect each Deadpool movie to shake things up.

“Just in theory, we like to change it up every single time so you guys are never bored,” Shuler Donner said. “But it’s Deadpool. It’s got to come out of character.”
Shuler Donner said she spoke with [Ellen] Page after her post and also that she had experienced Ratner’s behavior herself.

“I back her up 100 percent,” Shuler Donner said. “Absolutely. He’s horrible. I’m aware he’s very demeaning to women, extremely demeaning to women, myself included. Yes, I was aware. Anybody that’s female, he’s demeaning.”

With the allegations against him and the cancellation of some of his deals, including a Hugh Hefner biography he was set to direct, Ratner may be facing exile from the movie business.

“I hope so,” she said.
Shuler Donner has another abuse and harassment controversy to contend with on the Deadpool sequel. T.J. Miller, who plays “Weasel” in the film, has been accused of sexual assault, abuse, and, in a separate case, harassment of a trans film critic who bashed his The Emoji Movie.
The Deadpool sequel is not out until June 1, and while Scott made the swap and did his reshoots in less time, Shuler Donner does not expect it would be possible to replace Miller at this point.

“We’re in the final editing,” she said. “I don’t think so.”

As for Miller’s future in the Deadpool franchise, she deferred to the studio to make such calls. After the Disney-Fox deal closes, Disney will decide if Miller has a future in their franchise.
“Listen, I love Bryan [Singer], but Bryan has a lot of demons,” Shuler Donner said. “Bryan has some problems, and Bryan needs to take care of his personal problems. That’s all I can say.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Beebo won me over and I watched 201 of LoT today... 

I can't stand Sara in this episode and she was probably the weakest link for me. She was reckless by sleeping with that woman in the beginning, arrogant, mean, and pouted way too much. When Sara told Ray that without his suit he's nothing but a self righteous rich guy... It was so harsh and asshole-ish that it made me feel sorry for Ray... which is quite an accomplishment. Not to mention Caity's acting is...... a lot to be desired? Her delivery of the line "I've been waiting a long time for this... to kill you" was awful. Her only saving grace was the stunts. The last scene with Ray helped but not by much... It was a lukewarm apology.

I am really loving Mick and Stein. Mick is hilarious and I felt crushed for Stein when he saw that Albert Einstein was a gross man (wrt women)... I can also see why people like Ray so much on this show. He had some good moments especially with how he handled Sara. 

I'm meh about Jax so far and I felt bad about Rip sacrificing himself :( I quite liked him in this episode. Nate was great too!

Oliver being in 201 really helped with my transition into this show. His small role was great and I loved how he pushed Nate into time traveling. Also I'd like to note how it's now strange for me to see Oliver without a wedding ring :') I really loved his line: "My name is Oliver Queen and my preference is to not break your arm"

Eobard/Dahrk... Now THAT is a villain team up, not like the one on Arrow.

All in all - I really enjoyed it! I'll definitely continue :)

• Love 4

Onto 202 for LoT:

One thing that stood out for me was that it made no sense how Amaya could be undercover at a Nazi party or undercover in Germany at all. 

Ray really won me over in this episode when he refused to "heil Hitler" even if it was undercover and Stein was so freaking sweet especially with being rather chuffed at being dubbed team leader and then singing undercover... It does make sense that he isn't the team leader though, he gets flustered too easily which is rather charming but I do wish they could've made him competent enough to be the captain.

Nate had some great content in this episode. His link to the JSU and making him a Hemophiliac was an interesting move... It did make me curious how that will play into future episodes plus being a hero who is also a hemophiliac says a lot about said hero. It's admirable that Nate still wants to be on the waverider regardless of the risks. Sara was right to worry about him and be wary of having him on the ship.

Sara was mostly ok in this episode, but the acting is still as awful as it was in season 2 of Arrow and that's what brought her down for me. For the first time ever I feel like an actress in DCTV can't give the writing for her character any justice because she was given decent content in this episode. Also Sara becoming team captain? Meh. I guess I didn't see the build up to this so I don't care. 

Speaking of bad acting... that final scene where Amaya is crying over Rex? oof, that was terrible. But overall I did like Amaya and can't wait to see what she brings to the team.

Hi Mike Ross! Bye Mike Ross!

If you think you love Mick now.... ;) You haven't even heard his greatest hits yet. If Mick's trajectory was Bruce Springsteen's career, you've only gotten to the "Born to Run" album.

And I'd be interested in your views on Sara as you get further into the season. I think what you saw in the first episode is going to become corrected as her arc continues. But I don't want to spoil anything as to how.

If it helps, Ray has become my second favourite character on this show (after Mick). His inability to "Heil Hitler" won my heart forever. But by the end of the season, I honestly can't say I hate anyone on the Waverider or want anyone to leave.

I hope you continue airing your opinions as you go through! I love watching my favourite shows through a newbie's eyes.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 3

Lol wow...Dynasty is already on Fridays. I am guessing that is where it will live out the rest of its life if its gets a 2nd (shortend) season.

Just caught up with AoS and that fight scene was so spectacular, Arrow could really learn a lot from AoS. 

2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Lol wow...Dynasty is already on Fridays. I am guessing that is where it will live out the rest of its life if its gets a 2nd (shortend) season.

Just caught up with AoS and that fight scene was so spectacular, Arrow could really learn a lot from AoS. 

I dont know Dynasty has a better Netflix deal then Riverdale. Also its a CBS shows. They dont have to try as hard as the WB shows.