Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Where and why the DC movie universe falls short  
BY CAROLINE ON    24 SEPTEMBER 2017
http://deathrattlesports.com/where-and-why-the-dc-movie-universe-falls-short/59992

Just recently, with Wonder Woman, DC started to pick it up in their films. Wonder Woman gave promise and hope to DC fans. Finally, a movie that wasn’t terrible. But the reasoning behind this? DC took a page out of Marvel’s book and decided to take a full movie to develop a character (which they plan on doing with more characters) instead of just throwing them into a mash-up where all the back stories are crammed in.

However, even though it seems that DC is beginning to look up, they are still not reaching full potential. They are wasting their time redoing characters that are already well developed. Well… at least one.

The Flash on the CW is a phenomenal show, reaching its 4th season in October. This Flash is extremely well done, with (almost) all character development completed.

But DC still decides to make a Flash movie with a separate actor, and a completely different story. Of course, Grant Gustin’s Flash is owned by CW and Ezra Miller’s Flash is the cinematic DC. And, not to say that one actor is better than the other, but Grant Gustin is already the poster boy for #The Flash and he plays the part well. Not only that, but if CW allowed Grant Flash to be in the #Justice League, that would mean more views for the CW. And it would mean that DC doesn’t have to spend funding on a movie for the Flash and can focus on better character development for other characters, because character development was done in the show.

The Green Arrow is another character owned by CW, and will be reaching its 6th season in October along with “The Flash.” However, DC has said that they are not doing anything with a Green Arrow character in the movies. Now why would they pass up on a free character? Development has already been done, several people already know the character and actor. The actor, Stephen Amell, plays the part well and has already been established to several fans as the Green Arrow.

DC refuses to take what’s being handed to them and because of it, their movies are failing. They are creating a difficult situation for the fans, showing that they are pushing toward a justice league in the movies, but the way that the T.V. series is going looks toward a whole different justice league. If they continue to waste their time re-vamping things that have already been done well, then DC will always be behind Marvel when it comes to the cinema. #Dc Universe

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Sara is the HG Wells of this situation, Ava would be her Myka.

I get that, I just would prefer it the other way around.  I would prefer Sara being the more serious one of the pairing.  But it appears the writers do not agree (assuming the Ava speculation is correct), so *shrugs*

• Love 1

So I don't really watch LOT, just a few eps here and there... but am I the only one that thinks Sara/Ray may be interesting? They seem like they could be that opposites attract couple.

I would not want to see that. Ray is better when he's not in a romance and I'd prefer there be as little teammate romances as possible on LOT. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3

I think that ship has just passed. Like they are both single, they could have hooked up at any time, but instead they showed interest in other people. I think the writers of Legends just see Ray as very hapless, lovable doofus type, while they value Sara very highly, so I don't think they will go there. 

• Love 2

New SG trailer. Couldn't find a YouTube source http://thecwsupergirl.tumblr.com/post/165725087600/emotion-isnt-a-weakness-its-her-greatest

I wonder if Mon-el will just be appearing in cheesy dream sequences and flashbacks for the early part of the season. 

8 hours ago, LolaRuns said:

Well, the writers said they enjoy Legends being zany and they want even more of that in season 3, so I guess it fits this approach that we won't get a return to a more serious Sara. 

Pity too, I liked some of the more dark moments of season 1, even if the Vandal Savage stuff didn't really work great as a main plot. 

I think it was CL who also mentioned she wanted a return to Sara with more of an edge, which I would love, though I did think she had her moments in S2. Simply based on what we know of the Time Bureau I'm not looking forward to a potential Sara/Ava romance. I think there will be Alex/Sara flirting in the crossover since they do like to Kirk/Jack Sara a bit (and yes it was getting a little annoying last season) and they won't be able to resist even if it doesn't even get very far. There was that bit of deleted/never filmed dialogue from last crossover with Kara saying to Sara "you should meet my sister". I can see that if Alex/Maggie break up in ep 5 they'll want to remind people that Alex does still like girls due to all the praise they got last season for her coming out.

I like Ray on LOT but I wouldn't want him with Sara although they work quite well as actors/characters in platonic scenes, I just really think he's not at all her type and I don't particularly want them to close that sex square with Olicity, there's already enough of that in her backstory.

• Love 3

I think it was CL who also mentioned she wanted a return to Sara with more of an edge

She also wanted more Captain Canary. That doesn't mean that she writers will listen to her. 

I wonder if Mon-el will just be appearing in cheesy dream sequences and flashbacks for the early part of the season. 

That's the theory. Mostly because supposedly he's not in the first few episodes to our knowledge (current theory is 7 for his return) and a regular, I guess they need to do something with him so his paycheck doesn't go to waste. 

10 hours ago, LolaRuns said:

I'm also a bit bothered by them giving Sara only female love interests and paying only lip service to her bisexuality. They really should at least give her a male one off at least, like they did with the Queen of France or the nurse. Based on the characters they have added so far this season I also see only potential for the female cast members in regards to potential love interests. 

If they're going to "restablish" Sara's bisexuality this season and give her a love interest...

I'm somewhat concerned that Sara's love interest is going to be a man because all her relationships up to now on the show have been with women except for Cold and that was only a kiss.  Giving her a serious love interest that is a man would subtley say that only men count, something the Arrowverseg shows have had problems with, especially the Kreisburg shows.

I'd rather see her having a couple of flings with men and then a female love interest if they're serious about her bisexuality.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, tofutan said:

She also wanted more Captain Canary. That doesn't mean that she writers will listen to her. 

That's the theory. Mostly because supposedly he's not in the first few episodes to our knowledge (current theory is 7 for his return) and a regular, I guess they need to do something with him so his paycheck doesn't go to waste. 

Of course it doesn't, though when she said it I did hope she was talking from a knowledge of something that would be happening but I don't think it was. Doesn't mean she *won't* go a bit darker though I guess it's less likely with the likes of Grodd etc showing up.

Yes treacly dream sequences to remind us he exists and that he and Kara were tragically torn apart to save the world, then BAM he comes back with a serious girlfriend/wife. It makes sense that they don't want to pay him to do nothing for 6 episodes.

It just seems kinda weird to me that the dream about her mother and the dream about Mon-El have the same setting. I guess they wanted to make use of their location shoot? 

I like that they are reusing the speech from Cat from last season. I wonder if that is them previewing the arc of the season for Kara? And for this arc she needs a big "at her lowest point" moment? 

9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lol what the heck I'll go sort out an engagement dress too!

I watched S4 knowing it ended in tears  and couldn't squee over much since I knew how it turned out so I'm enjoying the do-over. 

@BkWurm1 setting myself up for disappointment but still hoping for "back together again for good Olicity sex"

Although there are no reports of closed sets so that's a pipe dream of mine. 

We could still get a fade to black and then a bazillion fan fics fleshing out all the ins and outs of their reunion.

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Ha!  Can't stop picturing the cast accidentally stepping on overlooked piles of poo in the dog park.

2 hours ago, JJ928 said:

So I don't really watch LOT, just a few eps here and there... but am I the only one that thinks Sara/Ray may be interesting? They seem like they could be that opposites attract couple.

Ray was my guess as LI before the show started, the inverse of Oliver and Felicity and I really think it could have worked.  I also think ColdCanary and CaptainCanary could have worked wonderfully but they aren't giving me them either.  At this point, they'd have to really shake up Ray and Sara's relationship to go there and I don't see it happening.

I could really ship Ray and Lilly Stein hard if they would go there.  Martain as his father-in-law makes me laugh.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If they're going to "restablish" Sara's bisexuality this season and give her a love interest...

I'm somewhat concerned that Sara's love interest is going to be a man because all her relationships up to now on the show have been with women except for Cold and that was only a kiss.  Giving her a serious love interest that is a man would subtley say that only men count, something the Arrowverseg shows have had problems with, especially the Kreisburg shows.

I'd rather see her having a couple of flings with men and then a female love interest if they're serious about her bisexuality.

I think it's safe to assume that Sara is not getting a male love interest this season. I never thought what was said about the show acknowledging Sara is bi meant her love interest this season would be male.

• Love 2

I find superheroes get less interesting when they start putting up statutes to the superheros.    It's like they're ironing out the complexity of the character.  That's why I like the Green Arrow being an enemy of the public much of the time and the LoT are acknowledge screw-ups.

59 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ha!  Can't stop picturing the cast accidentally stepping on overlooked piles of poo in the dog park.

I could really ship Ray and Lilly Stein hard if they would go there.  Martin as his father-in-law makes me laugh.

I am totally a Ray/Lilly shipper..  They're perfect for each other and Lily being who she is (Martin's daughter, not on the Wave Rider) provides enough humour and drama for a relationship.  I'm not interested in in seeing Sara get into an antagonistic/attraction with Ava.

Hopefully not too many piles of poo.  It's a $250 fine for failing to pick up after your dog.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, tofutan said:

It just seems kinda weird to me that the dream about her mother and the dream about Mon-El have the same setting. I guess they wanted to make use of their location shoot? 

I like that they are reusing the speech from Cat from last season. I wonder if that is them previewing the arc of the season for Kara? And for this arc she needs a big "at her lowest point" moment? 

It's the same dream, most likely. She probably first sees her mother from afar then she feels Mon-El from behind. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if anyone else might find this useful, but I've bookmarked the links for the TVLine galleries for all the CWDC shows, and thought I'd share it if anyone else wants to do the same.  I was waiting for the Supergirl Season 3 Gallery to go up, and it just did today.

Arrow Season 6: http://tvline.com/gallery/arrow-season-6-photos/

The Flash Season 4: http://tvline.com/gallery/flash-season-4-photos/

Legends of Tomorrow Season 3: http://tvline.com/gallery/legends-of-tomorrow-season-3-photos/

Supergirl Season 3: http://tvline.com/gallery/supergirl-season-3-photos/

The newest pictures are always added at the front.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I am totally a Ray/Lilly shipper..  They're perfect for each other and Lily being who she is (Martin's daughter, not on the Wave Rider) provides enough humour and drama for a relationship.  I'm not interested in in seeing Sara get into an antagonistic/attraction with Ava.

Same on both counts.  I would love to see them put Ray with Lily.  They were very cute together, and her being Martin's daughter would provide lots of comedy potential.

As far as Sara and Ava, I know I'm making an unfair snap judgement based on what I saw in the trailer, but at this point I'm going "yeah no."   

• Love 1

Well i guess Mon-Els gf/wife is coming

Supergirl‘s Season 1 tease of DC Comics’ Legion of Super-Heroes is about to pay off in a big way: Warner Bros. Television has announced that Saturn Girl has been cast for Season 3.

Amy Jackson, a British-born Bollywood actress, will bring the classic DC Comics character to life for Supergirl season three, in a recurring role for an unspecified amount of episodes. While she’s a relatively unknown actor in the States, Jackson is a major name in India, where she’s become one of the country’s biggest stars. This will be her first major English-speaking role.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Same on both counts.  I would love to see them put Ray with Lily.  They were very cute together, and her being Martin's daughter would provide lots of comedy potential.

As far as Sara and Ava, I know I'm making an unfair snap judgement based on what I saw in the trailer, but at this point I'm going "yeah no."   

Yeah Ray/Lily were very cute together when she was on the Waverider, I think he's destined for Zari this season though or at least heavy teasing (when not "inexplicably" being attracted to the character played by his wife).

Not feeling Sara/Ava from the trailer either but we'll see.

So Saturn Girl it is then. She's recurring not regular which might point to more of a "stall" than permanent end to Kara and Mon-el (I wouldn't mind ending it at all) but I really hope they aren't married. I don't want Kara pining over a married man or Mon-El making puppy eyes at Kara whilst being married, it would be 100 times worse than the similar Kara/James/Lucy love mess in S1. Certainly not surprised about the development though, even if we hadn't heard it from the paps a few days ago.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I really hope they aren't married. I don't want Kara pining over a married man or Mon-El making puppy eyes at Kara whilst being married, it would be 100 times worse than the similar Kara/James/Lucy love mess in S1.

So so so so SO much this. :(

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I cant see them being married because if they are.....you in danger Saturn Girl. You better go back to the 31st century or else you are probably dead.

Yeah, that's another reason I don't want them married, it increases the likelihood of her dying so Kara and Mon-El can get back together in S4 and that's another trope I hate. I suppose she could always decide to head back to her own time when she sees how much they love each other, whether married or not, (still not a favourite trope) but that makes divorce a little tricky so death ends up being more likely. It's going to be messy however it plays out and given the state the shipping parts of the Supergirl fandom were already in before this I think it could get uglier than the versions of it Arrow has gone through.

• Love 3

So this is the source for the rumors of the Alex/Sara crossover hookup. Don't know how reliable they are, but the fact that they already knew about Amy Jackson being Saturn Girl two weeks ago implies something, maybe.

This account is also hinting that Captain Cold is The Ray's boyfriend, that Oliver and Felicity either get married or are married in the crossover, and that an Arrowverse character "will leave the crossover in a bodybag"

Edited by lemotomato
Alex, not Maggie
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

So this is the source for the rumors of the Maggie/Sara crossover hookup. Don't know how reliable they are, but the fact that they already knew about Amy Jackson being Saturn Girl two weeks ago implies something, maybe.

This account is also hinting that Captain Cold is The Ray's boyfriend, that Oliver and Felicity either get married or are married in the crossover, and that an Arrowverse character "will leave the crossover in a bodybag"

Huh.  Well the Cold/The Ray pairing was already guessed/speculated here.   And we've already been talking about the possibility of a surprise Olicity wedding.  No clue about the death, though.  

4 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

an Arrowverse character "will leave the crossover in a bodybag"

Hmm.. If this is true, they better kill off the character in their show's hour. It's one thing to marry off a couple on another show, as much as I'd hate it and I'd understand fans of the couple hating it as well.

But it would be worse to kill off a character. It's one thing for someone to tune in the next week and go, "Wait, they got married?" if a person doesn't watch all four hours. It's another for someone to tune in and go, "WTF they killed off X on another show and I'm finding out about it from the 'previously on...'?!" 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Huh.  Well the Cold/The Ray pairing was already guessed/speculated here.   And we've already been talking about the possibility of a surprise Olicity wedding.  No clue about the death, though.  

Double twist, Olicity wedding then Felicity in a body bag? There are so many versions of these characters that are potentially hanging about during the crossover that it needn't be anyone's normal character if it's a regular from one of the 4 shows (unlikely). This version of Cold then another version pops up later in the season on LOT? Martin since VG has other things lined up, although they were talking about retirement from the team as a storyline. Could literally be anyone, most likely a minor character if from the regular universes.

IF there's a death I wonder if it will actually count? Probably not

Probably not unless as I said minor character or alternate version of a major character.

And I really hope no Olicity wedding in the crossover, please please, please. If they're married before due to spousal privilege or boredom or William's protection or something i'd take all those things over sharing or suddenly substituting with WestAllen and the mess of masks this is going to be.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

So this is the source for the rumors of the Maggie/Sara crossover hookup. Don't know how reliable they are, but the fact that they already knew about Amy Jackson being Saturn Girl two weeks ago implies something, maybe.

And I'm back to worrying over Lyla.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Hmm.. If this is true, they better kill off the character in their show's hour. It's one thing to marry off a couple on another show, as much as I'd hate it and I'd understand fans of the couple hating it as well.

But it would be worse to kill off a character. It's one thing for someone to tune in the next week and go, "Wait, they got married?" if a person doesn't watch all four hours. It's another for someone to tune in and go, "WTF they killed off X on another show and I'm finding out about it from the 'previously on...'?!" 

Well if they're thinking of it as a four-hour movie as SA said, they're probably expecting everyone to watch all four hours, and so they're probably not going to pay attention to which hour it's on.  That's my guess anyway.

9 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And I'm back to worrying over Lyla.

Yeah Lyla was my first thought.   

I'm pretty sure most of the characters I wouldn't want to lose are safe though. But it could be Stein.  We were talking earlier about Victor Garber having another commitment during when Legends will be filming the last few episodes, and wondering what that meant for Stein.  Maybe this is it.

Olicity crossover wedding though...oh boy. *deep breath*  Everyone brace for impact. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Technically any character of the crossover is part of the "Arrowverse" so it could be no one important..

Hopefully, but now I'm worrying over Lyla too, especially with those Dig/Dinah rumours or speculation from a while ago. But yes technically it could be any character appearing in the crossover or an alternate etc.

10 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Hopefully, but now I'm worrying over Lyla too, especially with those Dig/Dinah rumours or speculation from a while ago.

WM and JH shutting those rumors down a while ago kind of make me feel otherwise. Plus, with Victor Garbor going to Broadway for a February show of Hello, Dolly, it's making me think it's him.

• Love 4

WA probably get married in The Flash episode so I'm guessing this possible death will happen after that, in the LOT episode? I can't see them having a happy wedding after someone just died tbh.

Would that make it more likely to be a LOT character or not? IDK.

Edited by Angel12d
10 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

You know, I would be, but since Diggle is officiating two weddings, I'm going to assume at least one of them happens after all the action and I don't think he'd be officiating after losing his wife. 

Good thought!

1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

And I really hope no Olicity wedding in the crossover, please please, please. If they're married before due to spousal privilege or boredom or William's protection or something i'd take all those things over sharing or suddenly substituting with WestAllen and the mess of masks this is going to be.

There's alot of horrible things I'd rather do myself personally then sit through a wedding with or near Barry and Iris. Plus I'd rather Olicity not have a Nazi wedding please and thank you writers.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

There's alot of horrible things I'd rather do myself personally then sit through a wedding with or near Barry and Iris. Plus I'd rather Olicity not have a Nazi wedding please and thank you writers.

But John Barrowman can be their wedding singer.

https://youtu.be/YlQfW9oK1G4

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4