Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, tv echo said:

FWIW - this is in regard to MG's comment in that EW article (posted upthread)...

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/158969008378/legends-of-tomorrow-boss-cast-on-that-shocking

I think that ship sailed in Arrow S3. It also doesn't explain Evelyn, Curtis, Cisco, etc. in masks.

I don't buy this explanation at all. It sounds like JBA throwing her headcanon at MG and him just kinda being like, "It sounds better than what I said and makes me not sound like an asshole, so yes."

• Love 19
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Felicity's costume and mask look green to me - in fact, that does look like Oliver's GA hood and her costume kinda looks like a female version of his suit (a regular girl wears an ex's old shirt, but Felicity wears an ex's superhero costume)...

Larger version of above tweeted pic...

C8DzZk_XkAI3K3v.jpg

Dead superheroes - Ragman, Black Canary, Wild Dog, Vigilante, Green Arrow, The Flash, Spartan...
C8DIK0kVUAAiiSx.jpg

Video of Felicity's entire appearance in LoT 216 last night (posted by Dc Plus Marvel on youtube)...

It looks kind of big on her too, so maybe it is Oliver's hood. Although I'm not sure how Darkh got a hold of the mask but not the hood. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Chaser said:

When did he "confirm" a wedding?

He never did. Jbuffy made it up from the little he told her about Olicity's relationship at the beginning of the season. It was an example of what she always does. She tells him her headcanons, he lets her talk and they magically become real (for her).

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

He never did. Jbuffy made it up from the little he told her about Olicity's relationship at the beginning of the season. It was an example of what she always does. She tells him her headcanons, he lets her talk and they magically become real (for her).

Funny. That kinda reminds me of someone whose acting choices seemed stuck more on the headcanon they had in their head rather than what ended up actually happening onscreen...

• Love 8

Imagine having direct access to an EP and wasting that potential so monumentally... 

She should've phrased it like a god damn question. Not put words in his mouth. 

How hard is it to ask "Why is it silly for Felicity but not Ray/Cisco/Curtis/Laurel/Evelyn who've also had zero experience with combat beforehand?"

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11

I sometimes wonder if he's tired of the more vocal parts of fandom in general and has started gaslighting them. Kind of like how some bands don't want to play their first hit albums and want you to focus on their new sound. 

(Tried to keep this vague so as not to sound board on board or anything)

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2

Finals are in and they make a lot more sense.

Final-Bcast-2017-28.TUE_.png

LoT continues to rise and fall with Flash, it is most definitely lead in dependent. 

Although showbuzz daily added this note

NETWORK FINALS:  THE FLASH just barely gained 0.1 in final numbers (the less-rounded rating was 0.86), avoiding a series low. LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, however, lost 0.1. 

Which makes me wonder if Flash will hit a 0.8 at some point this season?

Edited by Morrigan2575

How is Bull getting the same ratings 18 - 34 that Flash is?

5 hours ago, leopardprint said:

I wonder if they write to attract more general audience S1/S2 then go full throttle comic book nonsense and that's bleeding everyone but the diehards. Thanks for answering.

There's also the Berlanti factor.  I find my interest in both Flash and Supergirl lessened in s2 when Berlanti went off to play with his new shows.

The odd thing about Arrow was that its s4 rating were holding and were higher than s1 until the BMD happened and then they started plummeting.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

New series lows viewers  for Flash. The unrounded numbers look weird.. I wonder why Flash rounded up and LoT rounded down. NM, they're preliminary.

Arrow might be in trouble if they follow the trend. Last week's unrounded demo was a 0.48

Edited by lemotomato
7 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

New series lows viewers  for Flash. The unrounded numbers look weird.. I wonder why Flash rounded up and LoT rounded down.

Arrow might be in trouble if they follow the trend. Last week's unrounded demo was a 0.48

Do you mean adjusted? If so that would have to do with over run or something else.

41 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

How is Bull getting the same ratings 18 - 34 that Flash is?

There's also the Berlanti factor.  I find my interest in both Flash and Supergirl lessened in s2 when Berlanti went off to play with his new shows.

The odd thing about Arrow was that its s4 rating were holding and were higher than s1 until the BMD happened and then they started plummeting.

From the couple three episodes I've seen, I'd guess people watch Bull for the same reason I watch those endless Law and Order marathons, for background noise. 

I don't Arrow's season 4 ratings odd. We all know what happened there. 

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

FWIW - this is in regard to MG's comment in that EW article (posted upthread)...

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/158969008378/legends-of-tomorrow-boss-cast-on-that-shocking

I think that ship sailed in Arrow S3. It also doesn't explain Evelyn, Curtis, Cisco, etc. in masks.

I actually don't doubt this is true. I did think that's what Marc meant when I read the article. 

The problem is he said it in the douchiests and sexist way possible and then doubled down on that douchieness by instead of clarifying himself when people were tweeting him but instead publicly muting them. 

• Love 9

But I don't want to watch more superhero shows...*whispers* "...but it's Lavon Hayes..." 

Stop hiring super charismatic actors that suck me in! (shakes fist)

Edited by leopardprint
spelling
  • Love 7
Just now, leopardprint said:

But I don't want to watch more superhero shows...*whispers* "...but it's Levon Hayes..."

OMG!!!!! 

I didn't know it was him!!!!!!!! I LOVED Major Hayes!!!!!

Hart of Dixie was an awesome show! It had it's problems but it was so much fun! The Levon/Zoe friendship was the bestest ever! 

• Love 5

FS outfit - The hood really does look like OQ's s4 oversized hood. It did look very familiar in motion as well. I wonder if they just recycled an old costume. However, count me in on the headcanon of FS wearing it in honor of OQ.

As for MG's Silly comments. It's absolutely absurd and insulting, with more than a touch of misogyny. Arrow has put just about everybody in a mask so to say it diminishes anything is bullocks. Now to say that FS is special without the mask and does not need it, would be a whole other topic. But to say never is just not accurate and speaks to MG's bias. Not that I really want to hear his rationale because it would probably enrage me more than I already am, however, there is a part of me that wants to hear why he believes it as a never and believes it would be silly. When s5 has double down on anyone being able to wear a mask and s4 had the city saving itself after a motivational car speech.

Now, I am a person who wants FS in a mask and feel like she excels far beyond the stringent criteria for it, nevermind the weak criteria Flarrowverse uses. However, I respect when people here have made valid points as to why FS does not need and should not get a mask. We can disagree on what we want for the character, because we have all made sound arguments based on facts and love for the character. Honestly, I believe both are good trajectories for the character. I don't think MG's opinion is even worth the breath it takes to read it, because clearly he probably have never even considered or thought about her character. He probably believes it's too silly to even consider. It's insulting to me as a fan of the show & FS, that "silly" is how he describes what is a valid trajectory or at least option for a character on a superhero show. Why is it silly, because she's too female, too small, too blonde, too intelligent. Tell me what makes it silly MG because frankly I think FS & EBR could kick your ass in under a minute, not even break a sweat, and do it in heels. Perhaps MG - you are the silly one.

• Love 20
20 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

Black Lightning looks pretty cool!

Berlanti's producing this, right? Have they said if it was going to be part of the Arrowverse or not exactly, like Supergirl? If it will be, which show is going to introduce him?

I believe the plan is for him to be on his own earth. But they really should put him in Supergirls Earth. They writers have made it feel very small and need to expand on it.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I believe the plan is for him to be on his own earth. But they really should put him in Supergirls Earth. They writers have made it feel very small and need to expand on it.

Oh. Gotcha. Thanks!

At this point EK wearing it to become the new BC, honestly feels like a potential story arc. I know it was a joke, but that's how easily they've tossed BC's mask onto people. Why not Curtis? He fulfills the show's basic requirements of being on the show, a poor fighter and prioritizing style choices before dress-up time.

• Love 6

Although I didn't like that Felicity died in LoT, I understand it. It was a villains' world and villains do bad things. Also, the episode took place in Star City and Central City 2017. So if anyone from Team Arrow or Team Flash had survived, they would have teamed up with the Legends to fight the Legion of Doom in 216-217. And the other shows could only make an actor available to shoot a brief (but defiant) appearance on LoT.

IMO, one of the reasons for The Flash's problematic ratings this season is that the hero, Barry Allen, has become unlikeable (ever since Flashpoint). Similarly, I think that one of the reasons that Arrow's ratings fell after 415 last season was because Oliver had become too unlikeable (due to his BMD behavior). Yes, he had done some terrible things in the past (as SA pointed out in a facebook video), but we had watched him change and grow over four seasons by that time and his BMD actions just seemed a sudden, inexplicable regression and came across as pure plot device.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

From the above Variety article:

Batgirl is one of the most popular superheroines in the world, but has never gotten her own movie. The project will also feature other characters from the world of Gotham.

I wonder if Black Canary is going to be included in this movie. Aren't they both part of the Birds of Prey?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

If this is the 'Early Seasons of Buffy and Angel' Joss, I'm tentatively looking forward to this. If it's 'Age of Ultron' Joss, please no.

Babs is my favourite DC character. She and Dick are my favourite members of the Bat family. I think of all the DC movies, this one makes me the most nervous. 

• Love 3

I have no vested interest in these movies but um...didn't Joss Whedon write Age of Ultron? I thought that was terrible, especially how he wrote Natasha and that whole Natasha/Bruce thing.

13 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I have no vested interest in these movies but um...didn't Joss Whedon write Age of Ultron? I thought that was terrible, especially how he wrote Natasha and that whole Natasha/Bruce thing.

He did, and I also thought it was written terribly, but Joss is usually solid at writing female characters. Well, at the very least, he has a better handle on writing female characters than most writers and directors (he's not perfect and he's not amazing, but he's better than most other directors/writers with their female characters). He wrote a lot of the first three seasons of Buffy, and he did have a good handle on The Avengers when it came to Natasha. So I honestly consider Age of Ultron an outlier in his work. He's usually pretty good at not making his females just love interests and damsels like Natasha was in Age of Ultron. 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

He did, and I also thought it was written terribly, but Joss is usually solid at writing female characters. Well, at the very least, he has a better handle on writing female characters than most writers and directors (he's not perfect and he's not amazing, but he's better than most other directors/writers with their female characters). He wrote a lot of the first three seasons of Buffy, and he did have a good handle on The Avengers when it came to Natasha. So I honestly consider Age of Ultron an outlier in his work. He's usually pretty good at not making his females just love interests and damsels like Natasha was in Age of Ultron. 

IDK, Buffy was 20 years ago now and things change. But I hope you're right because the handling of Natasha was the worst. Let's hope he learned from it! 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

, and he did have a good handle on The Avengers when it came to Natasha. So I honestly consider Age of Ultron an outlier in his work. He's usually pretty good at not making his females just love interests and damsels like Natasha was in Age of Ultron. 

I thought he was horrible at writing Nat. The Russo Bros were much better with Nat in both Civil War and especially The Winter Soldier, IMO. 

I've never been a huge Wheden fan but, he should be much better than Snyder.

• Love 5

A big problem I have with female characters and Joss is his tendency to give his female characters very..."female specific" issues. Rape or sexual assault (not that that's female specific, but it is in Joss world, more or less), pregnancies, beating down Evil Misogynists, motherhood issues, seduction, those such things. Not everyone he writes, of course, but it comes up on his bad days.

I actually liked Age of Ultron more than most people, but his writing for poor Nat was pretty awful. Not so much her character herself, but what he had her do and the roles she had in the story. She deserved better.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Not everyone he writes, of course, but it comes up on his bad days.

I was thinking about Joss the other day and this line reminded me of my opinion.   It very much depends on his frame of mind and how he's feeling on any given day.   But the way he treats his characters reminds me a lot of Douglas Adams,  who admitted that when he was upset or depressed his characters suffered for it even though that wasn't the plan originally.   Joss strikes me as the kind of guy who let's his current frame of mind take precedence over what should be happening. 

But he is a great writer and director and I trust that DC will probably reign those tendencies in. 

• Love 1

Saw Logan today.... wow that was a really good movie. Awesome fight scenes. Tragic emotional moments. It was definitely not uplifting, but I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

Spoiler

Seriously, I started tearing up with the death of Charles Xavier; but whenever Laura turned the grave marker to make an X, I nearly lost it. As a major fan of ER growing up, I was even emotional watching Eriq LaSalle's character & family die. They should have kept driving.

I guess they ended some stories, but the new bunch could have new stories.

• Love 3

I'm having a small Arrow re-watch (I must combat my show withdrawal!), and I'm watching season two. It makes me REALLY wish that they could have Sara and Oliver have a conversation post-Chase. I think Sara would have a lot of perspective on Oliver's whole "I'm a murderous monster who ruins the lives of everyone I make eye contact with" break down. She never blamed him for what happened to her (even if he blamed himself), and she struggled with a lot of the same issues, and got past them. I know Sara is super busy on her own show (and I would NEVER wish her away from LoT) but I would like it if they could hang out sometime soon and talk, even if its just for an episode. Plus, I'm pretty sure Sara would kick the SHIT out of Chase, public official or not.  

• Love 14