Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I was always Team Cap - before and after. I understand and sympathize with Tony, but Steve was just right. If Tony could put aside his own guilt over Ultron (which he should feel shitty about) for a moment, he would have realized exactly what Steve was objecting to. CA:WS was all about the fact that SHIELD had been corrupted by Hydra. Plenty of other high ranking people throughout these movies had been shown to be corrupt. Steve had every reason to believe the "supervising authority" would ask them to do something they didn't think was right or tell them to not do something they knew needed to be done. When that moment comes (and frankly, it kind of did in this movie), Tony is going to disobey and not feel bad about it. Steve just isn't putting himself in the position to have to disobey. It just comes down to a difference in personality - but ultimately it's the same result. Steve won't submit to an authority he doesn't trust from the get go - Tony will submit in name only and disobey it any time he feels he needs to.

Plus I think the one thing Tony wasn't taking into consideration is that the Avengers being sanctioned by the UN in these stories would likely have only made maters worse. I mean, let's think about the things the General showed:

-No one on Earth could have prevented what Loki did in the first Avengers movie. The Avengers might have caused some damage in NY but they did save the city. On the other hand, the authorities sent a NUKE to NYC and disobedience in the form of Tony flying it up into space saved the city. So Avengers win out over the authorities on this one.

-Steve was under the authority of SHIELD when he discovered that it was corrupted by Hydra. What would the Avengers have been ordered to do in that situation if they were being commanded by the UN? Sure Hydra would have had someone at the UN? Would the Avengers have tried to take Steve out if the UN ordered them to? Would the Avengers have prevented Steve from succeeding in taking down Hydra? And yes he showed a picture of helicarriers crashing and causing damage in DC - but what was the alternative? Billions dead? Still think this was a win for the Avengers over authority.

-Then we have Sokovia. Tony - and Banner - should feel kind of shitty about this one because they brought Ultron to life. But that was not a decision made by the Avengers. That was a decision made by Tony. And I'm not completely convinced that Tony wouldn't have still gotten permission to play with the scepter and do exactly what he did even if he had to answer to the UN. There were no authorities to defy here but even with a few dead - the Avengers still pretty much saved the planet (even if Tony did create the monster that was trying to destroy it). Win for the Avengers - fail for Tony Stark.

-Then the last incident was the one at the start of the movie. So yea Wanda messed up - but despite those dead - the Avengers in general still saved countless millions by completing that mission. Would the UN had sent them? Would this situation had turned out better or worse with UN help? Who knows? I certainly can't call it a fail for the Avengers even if it looked bad on TV.

Then the biggest thing that Tony really wasn't taking into consideration - is that UN sanction isn't going to stop innocents from dying when the Avengers are needed (because when they are needed, shit has gone so far south that innocent death is inevitable - its just a question of how many?) and it won't be the UN that's hated if the Avengers fail - it will be the Avengers. Plus, there's always Spiderman's line of "when you can do the things I can do and you don't, and then the bad things happen - its your fault." So yea, UN approval or not - every time something bad happens and the Avengers don't act - people will hate them for it. Do you really want all the pressure on you without the power to decide? Tony did not put himself in a good position. I'd definitely rather be in Cap's shoes rather than trying to deal with the mess Tony got himself into.

On that note - I did LOVE Black Panther. Can't wait to see more of him (he's one of my son's favorites!). I just wish Marvel could get Storm since they are married in the comics.

• Love 7
(edited)

That's how I see most of it too. Yes, the Avengers getting involved causes bad things to happen but how worse would've it have been if they did nothing? How many more people would've died? Wanda messed up, but they did stop a psycho from getting a hold of biological weapon. If Crossbones had gotten away how many people could he have killed with that weapon? The Avengers probably would've been blamed for not doing anything to stop him.

Government oversight is not going to prevent causalities. No one can promise that to anyone. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Government oversight is not going to prevent causalities. No can promise that to anyone. 

And those official oversight organizations consist of people with political agendas so The Avengers would potentially be used as puppets in fights that would be not appropriate.

• Love 4
(edited)

I actually think it'll look better than the promo shows,  it can't be worse than BoP and I didn't think Smallville's was all that great.   Arrows should have had sfx to begin with honestly. 

I also predict that KC will act better because I think bitchy meta is good on her. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think I'd need to see a wide shot to judge, but it has to look better than it did on Arrow. And I'm guessing we didn't get any visual effects like this because of the $$$.

That kind of effect is so cheap, people make it for free.

But apart from that
125g6ra.jpg

I need next Tues to hurry up so I can get this excitement out of my system and replace it with disappointment again.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Barry disintegrated into the Speedforce and Jesse/Wally might have gotten powers. Who's bright idea was it to spend more than half the next episode on the zombie version of one-off villain no one freaking cared about in S01??? What the heck!

• Love 1
(edited)

Dear Flash:

Deep Space Nine called and wants their allegory trope back.  If you're going to do a steal of their Prophets vision, at least do it as well as the original.

I'm actually looking forward to Katie Cassidy next episode, I'm now so uninterested in Barry, his many father figures and his forced love iris.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6

Black Siren's scream SFX will probably look the same as Silver Banshee's from Supergirl, since the same company does the effects for all the DC/Berlanti shows.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, hogwash said:

Barry disintegrated into the Speedforce and Jesse/Wally might have gotten powers. Who's bright idea was it to spend more than half the next episode on the zombie version of one-off villain no one freaking cared about in S01??? What the heck!

Andrew Kreisberg's

5 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

An episode-long "Run faster, Barry" pep talk by the freaking speed force is just...it's too much.

I was amused when in the Speedforce they replaced "Run Barry Run" with "Sit Barry Sit"

That was  a truly weird episode.  If they'd done it at the very start of the season perhaps it would have made sense but why are we suddenly back to Barry not accepting that his mother died 16 years ago?  And how could they both use Iris as the way to bring him home and also make the message clear that Cisco pretty much could have this time done it all on his own.  And let's not even talk about random zombie guy.  And Wally just obediently leaving the room whenever they told him to.  A huge WTH across the whole thing. 

• Love 4

I'm pretty much ready to drop watching The Flash. The last few episodes were really really bad. And I guess most people who pointed out the stupidity have given up on the show so there isn't really any entertaining critique left on the forum (except for a few posts). I will finish the season because I still actually like Wells, Cisco and even Caitlin despite DP not being a strong actress (I also like Iris but WestAllen is horribly written and she doesn't have any real plots). Oh, and I want more hot evil Zoom (without the mask, obv.). And to learn who the dude in the iron mask is.

After that, 90% chance I'm out. I already FF'd through Barry's scenes in the sentient (seriously, show?) Speed Force and yet another pep talk, or four, or whatever.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

I'm pretty much ready to drop watching The Flash. The last few episodes were really really bad. And I guess most people who pointed out the stupidity have given up on the show so there isn't really any entertaining critique left on the forum (except for a few posts). I will finish the season because I still actually like Wells, Cisco and even Caitlin despite DP not being a strong actress (I also like Iris but WestAllen is horribly written and she doesn't have any real plots). Oh, and I want more hot evil Zoom (without the mask, obv.). And to learn who the dude in the iron mask is.

After that, 90% chance I'm out. I already FF'd through Barry's scenes in the sentient (seriously, show?) Speed Force and yet another pep talk, or four, or whatever.

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only person that fast forwards Barry scenes. I pretty much watch Flash for Iris and Cisco, so the episodes are pretty short for me. I can't stand Barry or the fact that he never faces real consequences for his selfish decisions. I'm with you on being done after this season, it's mostly been a a bore.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I was amused when in the Speedforce they replaced "Run Barry Run" with "Sit Barry Sit"

That was  a truly weird episode.  If they'd done it at the very start of the season perhaps it would have made sense but why are we suddenly back to Barry not accepting that his mother died 16 years ago?  

I thought it was more about him wondering if letting his mother die was the right thing to do? Which I can kind of understand. He ran back in time, risked the lives of basically everyone in the world - especially those he loves - to go back and change things, then wound up opening the breach into E2, caused at least a couple of deaths and the mass destruction of Central City for pretty much nothing. If only he'd shown as much angst over that as he did over his mom, haha. 

• Love 2

In the Flash last night,  Iris said she didn't like that dinosaur book because neither she nor Barry had mom's like that.   So basically Iris thinks leaving your kid by being murdered is the same as abandoning your kid to pursue your addiction to crack.  Which it is not.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

An episode-long "Run faster, Barry" pep talk by the freaking speed force is just...it's too much.

Um so I can skip this episode altogether? I missed it last night.

12 minutes ago, Delphi said:

In the Flash last night,  Iris said she didn't like that dinosaur book because neither she nor Barry had mom's like that.   So basically Iris thinks leaving your kid by being murdered is the same as abandoning your kid to pursue your addiction to crack.  Which it is not.

Yeah, that was some terrible writing to get to the "we'll always have each other" part. Especially since I think she said something about Barry's mom not being there for him, which...no shit, lady. It's not like she didn't want to be, she was just, you know, murdered

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Delphi said:

How very Laurel of her.  What is so wrong with me that everybody leaves?  They didn't leave you, Laurel.  They died!

I've got to watch The Flash next week to see the BS.  Hope I'm entertained!  

• Love 4
(edited)

I've got zero curiosity to see BS on The Flash next week.  It's just so predictable what she's going to be like, what's going to happen, and what the feedback is going to be.  I'm more curious to see how they handle DiNozzo's exit on NCIS' season finale (Michael Weatherly is leaving the show), even though I haven't watched NCIS in ages - so I'll probably be watching that show live.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

‘The Flash’ Guest Director Kevin Smith Reveals What He Learned on Set, His ‘Arrow’ Aspiration
Laura Prudom  May 10, 2016
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-flash-runaway-dinosaur-kevin-smith-directs-episode-21-arrow-writing-1201770257/

Despite a career spent directing, writing and editing his own work, Smith says he’d prefer to stick to directing on “The Flash,” eschewing the possibility of penning an installment of the show. “I prefer not writing the episode because what we were able to do with me not writing it was, at least for me, substantial and wonderful … just as a directing exercise, I was so happy with it,” he says. “So I wouldn’t want to write on ‘Flash.’ I would, though, like to write on ‘Arrow.'”

Smith is well-versed in the world of Oliver Queen, having written two critically acclaimed runs on the comic in the early aughts — “Quiver” and “The Sounds of Violence,” the latter of which introduced an iconic villain that he’s itching to adapt for “The Flash’s” sister show. “I would love to jump in for a one or two episode arc just to bring that Onomatopoeia character to life. That would be so badass – I created this character in the comics and then to do a live-action version of it that fit into their universe, fit into the run of their show? That would be exciting to me,” Smith tells Variety. “That’s the one I can get my head around writing, but ‘Flash,’ whenever they bring me back, I think I prefer somebody else doing it. I heard rumor that when I go back, I think Zack [Stentz] might be writing my script again, which would be amazing – we’d be keeping the home team together, so that’d be cool.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

to do a live-action version of it that fit into their universe, fit into the run of their show? That would be exciting to me,

Hello, Kevin Smith. So nice of you to say that. 

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1
(edited)
30 minutes ago, tv echo said:

‘The Flash’ Guest Director Kevin Smith Reveals What He Learned on Set, His ‘Arrow’ Aspiration
Laura Prudom  May 10, 2016
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-flash-runaway-dinosaur-kevin-smith-directs-episode-21-arrow-writing-1201770257/

With the idea of Onomatopoeia possibly out there, and the writers being way more ambitious with their characters than they were back in 2012, I kind of wonder if 

Spoiler

"James," given he's a big bad or a notable villain for s5, with his description, might actually be Onomatopoeia, since every season seems to have some comics character, no matter how obscure, as their big bad for the year.

2 minutes ago, looptab said:

Weren't Killer Frost and Vibe dead?

My guess is a flashback to E2 with the three of them as a crew working for Zoom.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think the costume is definitely better than the one she had on Arrow, I like it, but wow those spider lashes can probably be seen from the Moon.

Also I think they could have copied the banshee's scream from Supergirl that looked very good instead of this version where it seems she has water coming out of her mouth.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 1
(edited)

Anyone else feel like Zoom is going to

Spoiler

kill BS?

And wow, Teddy Sears is quite massive (and pretty, too, even though he looks better with facial hair).

Edited: Spoiler-tagged, but my un-tagged post is quoted below, so...sorry!

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
Shallow reasons
  • Love 2
Just now, SonofaBiscuit said:

Anyone else feel like Zoom is going to kill BS?  And wow, Teddy Sears is quite massive (and pretty, too).

I feel like the team is actually going to be the ones that do it, since the plot seems to hint that it's part of their inner conflict with fighting her, and they would ultimately resolve it by beating her/killing her. Plus I have a feeling that Zoom is going to kill someone else next week... 

The overall look is much better than Arrow. A few things bug me. The Madonna boobs and choker give it an 80s/early 90s look, not a fan of that.

I wonder if she is in love with Zoom but Zoom is all about Caitlyn. That's so Laurel. 

• Love 8

Okay, so, keeping in mind that my, well, mind can be quite odd, I enjoy thinking about the character's process of coming up with their outfit. So here, she actually went to, like, a leatherworker, and said "I need it to look like a breastplate, you know, like ye knights of yon Round Table, with built-in big boobs. Also, I know you're leather, not lace, but I need some lace stuff on the arms, but just the upper arms, bc I'm going to have leather over-the-elbow gloves, but I want a bit of the fishnet lace stuff to show, but just a few inches. Oh, and a choker, bc 80s style is really underrated. Finally, I need you to put the flappy parts of a duster coat on the breastplate bustier thing. No, I don't want a duster coat, I just want the flappy parts. Why? Isn't it obvious?"

Also, do I see kneepads?

• Love 1