Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

(edited)

So in an interview with USA Today Jensen talked about the school shooting in Uvalde and the shooting on the set of Rust. If I'm reading this right he actually witnessed what happened on set. That is just awful.

But what occurred last week in Uvalde – where a gunman killed 19 children and two teachers at an elementary school – “shook me more as a dad than what happened right before my eyes, because that was premeditated. And what happened on ‘Rust’ was an accident,” says the Texas native, who lives in Austin with his family (wife Danneel, 9-year-old daughter Justice and 5-year-old twins Arrow and Zeppelin).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2022/06/02/the-boys-star-jensen-ackles-talks-uvalde-shooting-rust-tragedy/7484591001/

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I didn't know Jeremy Carver was heading Doom Patrol (actually, didn't know anything about the show until this article):

https://www.slashfilm.com/881128/doom-patrol-learned-a-key-lesson-from-supernatural/ 

Sorry for quoting myself, but what I wanted to say about this article is what Carver says he brought over from Supernatural:

Carver worked as a writer and producer for years before returning to helm "Supernatural" from its eighth through the eleventh season. As any "Supernatural" fan has witnessed — the show sometimes did feature absurd villain angles and plot lines that didn't make much sense. Things got weird sometimes. Still, it worked because of Sam and Dean. We'd watch these brothers do anything, whether it's staking out vampires or microwaving fairies. And it'd make sense.

"Doom Patrol" showrunner Jeremy Carver knew that as long as his characters, the weirdest group of superheroes ever, were honest with themselves, there was potential for their stories.

"... there's a multitude of things [I learned]. You can go anywhere you want to go with the show in terms of craziness, even into a person's brain, and as long as your characters stay true to themselves, it will work. That was a lesson very much learned on Supernatural and the places we went there, that I took and applied to Doom Patrol."

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

From The Winchesters thread...

I watched both Chicago panels and it's hard to believe that in an hour and half of questions, no one asked about the Winchesters, the trailer, or Dean's role.

I watched too, and noticed that no one really asked about The Winchesters or Walker (or even The Boys). Even the Radio Company question didn't ask about the next album. The shows were only mentioned when either Jared or Jensen started talking about them. 

It's like Creation (or the actors) is trying to keep the cons "Supernatural" only. Maybe something to do with them rebranding the cons like the Hawaii one into J2 Projects?

*Quote from @Lastcall

Edited by MAK
Citation
3 minutes ago, MAK said:

I watched too, and noticed that no one really asked about The Winchesters or Walker (or even The Boys). Even the Radio Company question didn't ask about the next album. The shows were only mentioned when either Jared or Jensen started talking about them. 

It's like Creation (or the actors) is trying to keep the cons "Supernatural" only. Maybe something to do with them rebranding the cons like the Hawaii one into J2 Projects?

*Quote from @Lastcall

Really? There were several questions about The Boys. Jensen descriptions of the first 10 minutes was hysterical. He couldn't say much more than that because spoilers. He talked about Karl being his partner in crime.  There was the question about what they brought to their new roles as lawmen, that Jensen couldn't really say much about because they haven't started filming yet. They just started filming Independence so Jared couldn't say much about that (same with TW). The atmosphere on the different sets. IDK seemed like a lot to me.

There weren't really very many questions about Supernatural either other than a possible reboot. Which I thought was really strange. Because The Winchesters? 

Yes, they talked about the shows. But to me the questions weren't about the new projects. Except the Big Sky and Walker crossover one.

All of them seemed be kind of side door, like only in comparison to Supernatural. No one asked about the ATX panel. No one asked about the trailers for either prequel. No one asked Jared about the wrap up of Walker S2. No one asked Jensen about his experience with the huge PR push in Europe, something that would have been on a different level compared to Supernatural Up Fronts and photo shoots.

I understand that they can't talk about details or plot points, but they can talk about whatever was shown in the trailers.

Anyway, to me, and I can always be wrong, the lack of direct questions seemed to be deliberate. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

If for no other reason you have to watch for Jensen's Valley Girl impression.

Can you give a close time stamp to this.

I don't have time to watch it all, but would love to see this.

Thanks in advance and if possible.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, MAK said:

*Quote from @Lastcall

Jared had no problems talking about Walker with the couple of questions he was asked. Jensen's deflections were weird to me. The Winchesters is a Supernatural show. It is a more valid show to this con than any other project J2 are currently working on. From all the reaction videos and comments, I've seen, there are a huge number of questions The Winchester trailer raised. The canon issues, Dean's mission, the timeline, everyone is bringing that up. I don't believe in a room full of superfans, that paid the amount they did, that no one brought any of that up. If creation didn't squash those questions, The Winchesters is going to get crushed in the ratings. 

• Sad 3
14 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

If creation didn't squash those questions, The Winchesters is going to get crushed in the ratings

Not sure what happens with the choice  of questions at these cons anymore,  but I'd wager that it has more to do with who's screening them than anything else, and for all we know, it could just be fandom "volunteers" with their own favorites, biases, and allegiances.

Anyone can "claim" to be unbiased.

I think that The Winchesters will do just as well as(or better than) anything that the CW has ever greenlit, including Walker.

And I bet all of the hedging around has a lot more to do with the sale of the network and the state of flux that's likely surrounding it presently. 

That said, I haven't watched any of the convention stuff yet(and not even sure how much of it I'll be able to catch, tbh) so just my thoughts with that caveat included and to be fair about things. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Jared had no problems talking about Walker with the couple of questions he was asked. Jensen's deflections were weird to me. The Winchesters is a Supernatural show. It is a more valid show to this con than any other project J2 are currently working on. From all the reaction videos and comments, I've seen, there are a huge number of questions The Winchester trailer raised. The canon issues, Dean's mission, the timeline, everyone is bringing that up. I don't believe in a room full of superfans, that paid the amount they did, that no one brought any of that up. If creation didn't squash those questions, The Winchesters is going to get crushed in the ratings. 

The trailer has over a million views, lots of people know about it, a few fans at conventions asking questions is not going to affect the ratings.  Jensen has answered the questions about Canon, he's not going to give the details because it's literally spoiling the plot of the show to do so. If they choose not to believe him when he says they will be sticking with canon, that canon will not be affected, him repeating it again and again isn't going to change anything.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, tessathereaper said:

The trailer has over a million views, lots of people know about it, a few fans at conventions asking questions is not going to affect the ratings.  Jensen has answered the questions about Canon, he's not going to give the details because it's literally spoiling the plot of the show to do so. If they choose not to believe him when he says they will be sticking with canon, that canon will not be affected, him repeating it again and again isn't going to change anything.

Yup.

This too.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Agreed. The only thing I'd like to know right now is "Who are the writers?". I hope someone asks him about that. 

• Love 1

I can only speak to the con I attended in Toronto in October 2019, but there didn’t appear to be screening of questions.  If you wanted to ask questions at the J2 general audience panel or Misha’s, you went to the Creation desk, they punched your pass IIRC (heaven knows why) and noted your name and seat number, which was then subject to apparent random selection.

I haven't watched the full panel yet, but I'd guess if no one asked about TW that the con had some kind of message about the questions, like they did when they said no personal stories or no Destiel questions.  Probably something to the effect of "this is a SPN panel, so please keep all questions related to that show" (or maybe "no spoilers, so questions only for shows that have already aired," which would then include Walker and The Boys.)   It doesn't mean that some questions might not slip through, but I believe there was a threat of being banned from future cons if you break the rules egregiously.  (Maybe that's why they punched your pass, just to make you aware that They Know Who You Are.😑)

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I think that The Winchesters will do just as well as(or better than) anything that the CW has ever greenlit, including Walker.

And I bet all of the hedging around has a lot more to do with the sale of the network and the state of flux that's likely surrounding it presently. 

That said, I haven't watched any of the convention stuff yet(and not even sure how much of it I'll be able to catch, tbh) so just my thoughts with that caveat included and to be fair about things. 

My fear is lack of superfan interest at the convention could be an indicator that casual fans might not be interested either which means low ratings for The Winchesters. I hoped these cons would be like the old Comic Con, where they would build interest which would spread out to the more casual fans and convince them to give it a try. 

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Nick24 said:

Agreed. The only thing I'd like to know right now is "Who are the writers?". I hope someone asks him about that. 

Well Robbie is one, I can't remember his name but a writer from Fringe is also part of it now, so if this going to have any sort of multiple reality/time travel/changed history shenanigans, he probably has experience(I guess? I never watched Fringe but I seem to recall it did some trippy stuff)

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Well Robbie is one, I can't remember his name but a writer from Fringe is also part of it now,

Thank you! I've just been checking IMDb for some time and there is still only Robbie.

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

My fear is lack of superfan interest at the convention could be an indicator that casual fans might not be interested either which means low ratings for The Winchesters. I hoped these cons would be like the old Comic Con, where they would build interest which would spread out to the more casual fans and convince them to give it a try. 

I could not even begin to think of  or contemplate what goes through the minds of the individials behind creation cons.

What I do know is that in the past they've made the Js sign exclusive contracts with them which I really disliked then(and still do, if that still holds).

Honestly, I don't know anything about how any cons are run, but strictly from what I've seen and read, creation seems to like to cut corners in ways that the bigger con venues don't/won't, and I honestly feel that anything that happens at a Supernatural Creation Con could not or would not affect what any casual viewer might do because I really don't think that most casual viewers care one bit about what happens at cons, be they bigger or smaller ones.

JMO, of course.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Well Robbie is one, I can't remember his name but a writer from Fringe is also part of it now, so if this going to have any sort of multiple reality/time travel/changed history shenanigans, he probably has experience(I guess? I never watched Fringe but I seem to recall it did some trippy stuff)

Fringe was a great show, awesome writing and characters. I would always highly recommend it.

As for the Con, I don't think questions or lack thereof for the Winchesters mean a hill of beans, to be honest. They are something completely different than promo events so to me the indication of how the show would do would be nil, one way or another. Maybe it will do well, maybe not,  we can only see after it airs.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Myrelle said:

Can you give a close time stamp to this.

I don't have time to watch it all, but would love to see this.

Thanks in advance and if possible.

It's the last question. And Jensen was the last to give his answer and only when a fan shouted out what his accent should be. I don't know how to time stamp it but it's at 1:03

11 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I honestly feel that anything that happens at a Supernatural Creation Con could not or would not affect what any casual viewer might do

I agree with you, but more than that, I reject the assumption that fans who are able to attend those cons are somehow of greater significance or more representative of those who are "real" Supernatural fans. Going to a convention doesn't mean that you are a "superfan", it just means that, unlike me, you have the money to spend on going to a con! 😊

11 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Fringe was a great show, awesome writing and characters. I would always highly recommend it.

I second this recommendation -- I loved Fringe! And for those who might want to binge it now that it is over, which is how I watched it, I can assure you that unlike Supernatural, the show gave its fans the gift of a very satisfying series finale!

• Like 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Bergamot said:

I agree with you, but more than that, I reject the assumption that fans who are able to attend those cons are somehow of greater significance or more representative of those who are "real" Supernatural fans. Going to a convention doesn't mean that you are a "superfan", it just means that, unlike me, you have the money to spend on going to a con! 😊

In no way am I saying the convention fans are better than the at home ones. I personally have never been to any supernatural event. However, the people that go to the cons pay an insane amount of money to be there and that doesn't even include the money shelled out for the private meet and greets. I've seen tons of questions on the trailer reviews, comment sections, and this board about how this show works particularly about Deans role. It's unbelievable to me that no one who went to the con wanted to ask at least one question about it. Either the people that went aren't interested in the prequel, they were extremely unlucky and weren't picked to ask their question, or the con was screening. Since no one can confirm whether the questions were screened or not, it has to be one of the first two.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

In no way am I saying the convention fans are better than the at home ones. I personally have never been to any supernatural event. However, the people that go to the cons pay an insane amount of money to be there and that doesn't even include the money shelled out for the private meet and greets. I've seen tons of questions on the trailer reviews, comment sections, and this board about how this show works particularly about Deans role. It's unbelievable to me that no one who went to the con wanted to ask at least one question about it. Either the people that went aren't interested in the prequel, they were extremely unlucky and weren't picked to ask their question, or the con was screening. Since no one can confirm whether the questions were screened or not, it has to be one of the first two.

Not to nitpick, but just because the screening of the questions cannot be confirmed doesn't mean it should be eliminated as a possibility-especially because it can be done in a number of different ways.

Edited by Myrelle
15 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Not to nitpick, but just because the screening of the questions has not been confirmed doesn't mean it should be eliminated as a possibility-especially because it can be done in a number of different ways.

Wasn't Misha asked about Gotham? I can't see why Jensen and Jared would go along with letting Creation ban questions about their upcoming/ongoing projects. It's probably one of the reasons they do these cons. They get to promote their shows. Yes it's up to the fans to ask the questions in the first place but I can't see any reason other than Destiel and personal stories the J's wouldn't want to talk about what they are up to.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Wasn't Misha asked about Gotham? I can't see why Jensen and Jared would go along with letting Creation ban questions about their upcoming/ongoing projects. It's probably one of the reasons they do these cons. They get to promote their shows. Yes it's up to the fans to ask the questions in the first place but I can't see any reason other than Destiel and personal stories the J's wouldn't want to talk about what they are up to.

It might've had something to do with JP and his issues with the prequel. 

Edited by Nick24
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I do want to say, I've been watching this show since it first aired, and I've spent countless hours online debating and speculating and analyzing it, and never once have I been tempted to go to a con. The idea of meeting these folks doesn't interest me, I don't care much about their personal anecdotes, etc. 

So... yeah. Cons are a little bit of a different animal, to my mind. Some of the people who attend may want more of a personal link to the performers, or to meet others who share their interest, and that has nothing to do with their level of interest in the show vis a vis those of us who aren't into cons. They engage with it in a different way involving money and physical presence, but I don't think that implies that they as a blanket group are the most engaged in future projects or even the show itself. (E.g., back in the day, I imagine some of them may have been folks who leaned toward RPS.)

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nick24 said:

If it was he was the only one to bring it up in the panel.

1 minute ago, Casseiopeia said:
Edited by Casseiopeia
1 hour ago, Nick24 said:

24 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

And maybe that was what he wanted.

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

What Jared wanted? What Jensen wanted? All that was said was they were not going to be on set during filming. They were going to be producing via zoom, text etc. and how difficult that is going to be while also doing their other projects. Jared opened the door if anyone wanted to ask about them.

My point was that questions about either of the prequels didn't seem to be off limits. Fans didn't seem to be curious about either Independence or The Winchesters. 

14 minutes ago, Myrelle said:
40 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I have no idea if this is an issue for anyone at the cons or not, but if it were, this would make sense, wouldn't it? JP would be the one and only person who would be able to bring it up without having any concerns regarding whether he should.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

I have no idea if this is an issue for anyone at the cons or not, but if it were, this would make sense, wouldn't it? JP would be the one and only person who would be able to bring it up without having any concerns regarding whether he should.

It seemed to me that they both wanted to talk about a reboot. Jensen was the one that brought it up and everyone seemed to run with it after that.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

It seemed to me that they both wanted to talk about a reboot. Jensen was the one that brought it up and everyone seemed to run with it after that.

Sure, why not? I see no reason why they should not talk about any of their current or future projects. I was just responding to a comment that JP was the only one to bring up the prequel. I haven't had a chance to watch the con videos yet so I wouldn't know.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Aithne said:

So... yeah. Cons are a little bit of a different animal, to my mind. Some of the people who attend may want more of a personal link to the performers, or to meet others who share their interest, and that has nothing to do with their level of interest in the show vis a vis those of us who aren't into cons. They engage with it in a different way involving money and physical presence, but I don't think that implies that they as a blanket group are the most engaged in future projects or even the show itself. (E.g., back in the day, I imagine some of them may have been folks who leaned toward RPS.)

This sounds a little condescending to me (at least, the part I bolded; but maybe that's my personal feeling towards RPS.)  

IA that those who attend cons aren't necessarily more engaged or bigger fans than those who don't--most of that choice, IMO, has more to do with money and access.  Maybe it's as simple as those who go want to see the actors rather than the characters.  Seeing the actors in person (even from seats way the hell out in left field) does feel more intimate than just watching them on TV or the internet, just like seeing a painting in person has more of an impact than a photo of it.  

I've only been to one SPN con, and don't intend to go to any more, but that's mostly because I dislike the regimented form that Creation has made of the cons. It's not at all like the cons I went to back in prehistoric times, when you actually got to interact with the guests or at least hear stories you hadn't already heard innumerable times on SM.

But maybe that's a difference:  the fans who are more involved in the show, and the characters themselves, might be less interested (as you seem to be) in the actors and their lives and personal anecdotes.  So their questions (if they were there) might be more show-related than personal. 

So maybe it's your duty to go to a con and ask the questions the others would want asked! 😀

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

This sounds a little condescending to me (at least, the part I bolded; but maybe that's my personal feeling towards RPS.)  

IA that those who attend cons aren't necessarily more engaged or bigger fans than those who don't--most of that choice, IMO, has more to do with money and access.  Maybe it's as simple as those who go want to see the actors rather than the characters.  Seeing the actors in person (even from seats way the hell out in left field) does feel more intimate than just watching them on TV or the internet, just like seeing a painting in person has more of an impact than a photo of it.  

I've only been to one SPN con, and don't intend to go to any more, but that's mostly because I dislike the regimented form that Creation has made of the cons. It's not at all like the cons I went to back in prehistoric times, when you actually got to interact with the guests or at least hear stories you hadn't already heard innumerable times on SM.

But maybe that's a difference:  the fans who are more involved in the show, and the characters themselves, might be less interested (as you seem to be) in the actors and their lives and personal anecdotes.  So their questions (if they were there) might be more show-related than personal. 

So maybe it's your duty to go to a con and ask the questions the others would want asked! 😀

RPS was almost as big as Wincest before the guys got married and had kids, and a whole lot of the fodder for those folks was coming from cons. I thought it was natural to infer that many  of the early con-goers were likely RPSers, but I'm sorry that I accidentally condescended to you in the doing. That certainly was never even part of my thought process in making that observation. 

• Like 1