Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Occupy Fiona

• Start Topic

Ian tests Fiona's patience and resolve by bringing a messy “Occupy Fiona” movement right to her front door. Lip struggles to get Professor Youens to court for his DUI trial. Meanwhile, a now unemployed Frank goes on a job hunt and Carl gets a feisty new rehab client with a plan to help him get the rest of his tuition.

Promo:

Clip:

Even if he's on his meds, there is clearly something wrong with Ian.  "Larger Concerns?"  That was ominous.  CM was awesome tonight.  Could it be as simple as grief over Monica, with him acting out at Fiona, the mother figure, combined with being bipolar?  Even on meds, stress can cause problems for him as witnessed in Early S7.  

And all of this really had nothing to do with Trevor. It was Ian on his own really. I wonder if the cut scene from 8.04 with Geneva will be revisited in another form?  

Lip story was also great, and that scene with Youens in the end was fucking painful but in the best way.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, scrb said:

How long before relative sobriety ends too?

I think it already ended when he bought the bottle at the bar. I’m looking forward to the Coyote Frank storyline.

This season has been rather heavy to me, but it looks like the Gallagher’s are back on track, lol. 

Debbie and Dr. Dick’s Porsche was epic! ?

Imho, That crazy girl is going to be Carl’s downfall.

I think Lip is going to break...he’s trying to save himself by saving his drunk friends. I don’t see how that will turn out well. 

Ian, I don’t even have an opinion on what’s going on with him, but he is troubled about something. Maybe Monica? 

Ohhhh, have to mention Fiona and the sexy door guy Ford. He seems intent on hanging around. We haven’t seen enough of him to what’s wrong with him yet tho. 

Edited by AntAnn
Edit spoiler
  • Love 1

When Ian said "larger concerns," I was convinced he was going to walk over to Fiona's building and burn it to the ground or something.

Ha, I think anyone who has ever had a job in the service industry or dealing with the general public can relate to Debbie's storyline this week at least a little bit. Yes, Debbie sometimes brings problems on herself, but in this case it was a prick customer who was going to keep being a prick no matter what she did. I laughed my ass off when he backed up and the dumpster was welded to the front of his car. Before that happened, I was actually hoping there was a security camera that caught him breaking the exit gate.

I hope she's able to find another job soon. I'm assuming she still can't get a welding job yet (because if she could, she would have already quit her job at the parking garage). She's either going to have to find free childcare or another job where she can bring Franny though.

Poor Lip. I can't tell if he now has savior syndrome or if he's truly terrified that if Youens and Brad can't stay sober that he is going to fail too. It was sad to see him try SO hard to do such a simple thing (get Brad and Youens to court). That was beyond herding cats. But even sadder was the scene of him with Youens after court.

• Love 10

I'm surprised Carl, at this stage, took the risk he did. His whole goal is to earn tuition money, and he easily allows himself to do that huge eye roll which was that ridiculous storyline. Here! Take this large sum of money, you silly Gallagher scamp! And here's a blowjob for your glistening Gallagher genitalia.  Frank and crazy border shenanigans again.. Okay. I don't buy the bad girl storyline for Kev and Vee either. They used to do cam shows role playing Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings, along with several other  sexy scenarios for God's sake. The at risk youth sure are getting portrayed in a shitty light. But, this show does that. Fiona and the carpenter.. Umm... Okay?? Given this show's history, he probably sticks around turning Fiona's building into luxury apartments for free, while falling in love with her, and opening up another tremendous opportunity that will be squandered. Trevor went up another notch for me tonight as well. Annoying Sierra opening up the door for Lip's relapse, dealing with her situation which is "too fucked up." Should have called the police on Dr. Dick, instead of welding a dumpster to his car which he can easily pay to fix. But, it was funny, so I didn't mind. I love bar guy Tommy. He's always there with his beer, listening to the bullshit, and calling people out. I am liking this season though. Even with all the ridiculous this show is guilty of, it's still entertaining as hell, and the cast really acts the hell out of it. They are a talented bunch. 

• Love 7

I'm enjoying the show more now that most Gallaghers are at last trying to improve their lives instead of giving in to their addictions. Hope it lasts but don't expect it to, particularly for Frank and Lip.
I'm guessing Ian has AIDs. With all the unprotected sex every damn character has on this show, I'm surprised there aren't more diseases running rampant. It seems a life threatening disease would be the next lightning bolt the story gods would aim at one of the characters. Ian was getting too well adjusted what with having an actual paramedic job and all, time to take him down a few pegs.

• Love 1

I wonder if Ian was contemplating suicide. He seems to feel that nothing is going well in his life and even Trevor being there to tell him that they did take the other place that Fiona had helped them find through her contacts, didn't bring him any positive emotions. I almost expected Ian would be ready to share a gratitude hug with Trevor but he just didn't seem interested. I hope that it doesn't go into an AIDS storyline. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I needed to change a word.
  • Love 1

This was the most I think I’ve ever liked Travis. Instead of automatically siding with Ian, the Gallagher he knows, he was open to listening to Fiona because his priority is finding a place for those kids (not just being right).

I can’t blame Carl for being a 16 year old boy who was unable to resist getting a blow job (although I did wonder where all of his other “clients” were during that scene - did he let them all out after she offered the ransom scenario?), but he was stupid for doing a fake kidnapping in the first place. That’s a serious crime. If he ignored her father’s frank assessment of her and doesn’t get rid of her in the next episode, I’ll be disappointed but not surprised. It’s hard for me to feel sorry for her when all she’s running away from is a rich family that has the audacity to take her on nice summer vacations to Europe and send her to tennis camp. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It’s hard for me to feel sorry for her when all she’s running away from is a rich family that has the audacity to take her on nice summer vacations to Europe and send her to tennis camp

Yes, what could be terrible about cruising around the Greek Islands. I almost thought that the father was going to offer Carl more money to get her straightened out a la military style. 

• Love 2

I spent the first half hour wondering why this show was trying to make me hate Ian, about the last likable Gallagher left. But I guess y'all were right, he's having some sort of bipolar episode. I also wondered if it was some sort of delayed reaction to Monica's death. 

The story with Lip and his professor is just sad. I'm kind of glad he went to prison, I'm sick of him. But one thing I noted was the lady whose house he crashed into was wearing a neck brace in court. Yet she herself was not injured in any way - you see her just sitting there on the sofa when he crashes through the wall so I don't know what the neck brace was for, unless her lawyer told her to wear one in order to garner more sympathy with the judge. Maybe she's suing him?

• Love 3

After they called an inspector on Fiotna, why didn't call Fiona the cops on them? They were digging a latrine in the middle of the city. That has to violate at least 10 health codes.

Guess Ian has a bipolar episode. How is everybody okay with him just taking his meds? They have to know that those aren't and can't be 100% effective, right?

4 hours ago, BonnieD said:

I'm enjoying the show more now that most Gallaghers are at last trying to improve their lives instead of giving in to their addictions. Hope it lasts but don't expect it to, particularly for Frank and Lip.
I'm guessing Ian has AIDs. With all the unprotected sex every damn character has on this show, I'm surprised there aren't more diseases running rampant. It seems a life threatening disease would be the next lightning bolt the story gods would aim at one of the characters. Ian was getting too well adjusted what with having an actual paramedic job and all, time to take him down a few pegs.

Where would Ian even get one aid from? Now you are saying he has multiple? I doubt it!.

Nobody is ever supposed to question Ian about anything.

He receives a constant free pass for everything, regardless of how vile.

At this point if they killed the character off I wouldn't care.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NaughtyKitty said:

I got the impression that Ian is off his meds and Fiona walked in on him right after he took a bunch of pills to kill himself.

Oh! I think you're right. He was all eyes glazed and said I'm about to fall asleep or something to that effect. 

• Love 2

Ian's sanctimonious ass is over the top.  Especially when you consider his feigned interest in the youth center just to get back in Trevor's good graces.  

Fiona tried to reason with him more than once, and on a situation where he was in the wrong.  Of all the Gallaghers, he & Fiona are the only ones with a modicum of success.  His reaction to her seemingly came out of left field.  It's Lip that she's butted heads with in the past.

Found myself fast forwarding through a lot of Lip's scenes.  I barely give two shits about his sponsor, let alone the sponsor and the professor.  Isn't this the final season?  I need some closure fast, no time for the ancillary characters.

• Love 3

There's more darkness ahead I'm afraid for Ian.  Just the the tone of that last scene with Fiona was so unsettling.  The way he couldn't or wouldn't answer about the "larger concerns" and not being able to really say I love you back to her.  This is different from S4 and 5 when he was not diagnosed yet and not properly medicated. Even last year when he broke up with Caleb and his meds went out of wack.  I was watching some scenes from earlier in S8, the crying with the fat dude in the first episode, Trevor suggesting he see a counselor in the 3rd episode, all these little moments.  He didn't really get angry this season until his fight with Fiona outside Patsy's.  This came right after screwing that couple, what the night before or whatever?  All of this, and last night, Ian is heading into some fucking abyss.  I hope whatever the story is, it's worth it and this season finishes strong, but with Ian still alive and kicking.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, BonnieD said:

Ian having AIDS also crossed my mind. Suicide was another thought I had as well. Whatever it is, seems Ian is heading  into a dark place.

• Love 1

I couldn't believe the way Ian was acting and it was a relief to me that there is supposedly "bigger" reason why he was doing that. I do hope he is off his meds and all of this are related to his disease. I think this might have been a "maniac episode" and  I got the feeling he'll get in a deep depressive episode now. I just hope to god the "larger concerns" he mentioned isn't HIV, as people are mentioning. I'd hate that.

Damn it, I just find out there are spoilers out. I want to find out what's going on with him watching the show, but I'm so curious. Ugh. :p

Edited by planet17
  • Love 1
On 12/18/2017 at 5:22 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Lip. I can't tell if he now has savior syndrome or if he's truly terrified that if Youens and Brad can't stay sober that he is going to fail too. It was sad to see him try SO hard to do such a simple thing (get Brad and Youens to court). That was beyond herding cats. But even sadder was the scene of him with Youens after court.

I think its partly both those things but its also mostly displacement. By dealing with other peoples shit he gets to avoid his own and Lip is someone with a lot of shit to deal with. I think given the way he reacted to Cami's breastfeeding a couple of episodes ago its about Monica too. Looking back I never really saw him grieve and Monica was his mother too. I think that's part of why he invested in Brad specifically. I think on some level Lip see Brad as Frank, Cami as Monica and himself in their kid and he wants to fix them and avert disaster. I think Lip feel like if he can put Brad's family back together it will somehow make up for some of his own scars.

• Love 7
On 12/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I can’t blame Carl for being a 16 year old boy who was unable to resist getting a blow job (although I did wonder where all of his other “clients” were during that scene - did he let them all out after she offered the ransom scenario?), but he was stupid for doing a fake kidnapping in the first place. That’s a serious crime. If he ignored her father’s frank assessment of her and doesn’t get rid of her in the next episode, I’ll be disappointed but not surprised. It’s hard for me to feel sorry for her when all she’s running away from is a rich family that has the audacity to take her on nice summer vacations to Europe and send her to tennis camp. 

Carl was pretty much being Carl.  

On 12/18/2017 at 0:30 PM, iMonrey said:

The story with Lip and his professor is just sad. I'm kind of glad he went to prison, I'm sick of him. But one thing I noted was the lady whose house he crashed into was wearing a neck brace in court. Yet she herself was not injured in any way - you see her just sitting there on the sofa when he crashes through the wall so I don't know what the neck brace was for, unless her lawyer told her to wear one in order to garner more sympathy with the judge. Maybe she's suing him?

Lip and his professor was just sad and I think meant to show where a life of alcoholism leads someone like Liam who isn’t Frank.   Frank who is just a cockroach and will survive anything.  The professor had everything and still chose booze.  That is where Lip is heading.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:35 PM, planet17 said:

I couldn't believe the way Ian was acting and it was a relief to me that there is supposedly "bigger" reason why he was doing that. I do hope he is off his meds and all of this are related to his disease. I think this might have been a "maniac episode" and  I got the feeling he'll get in a deep depressive episode now. I just hope to god the "larger concerns" he mentioned isn't HIV, as people are mentioning. I'd hate that.

Damn it, I just find out there are spoilers out. I want to find out what's going on with him watching the show, but I'm so curious. Ugh. :p

I think Ian is still on his meds but I don’t think he is seeing a doctor at all.  My guess is that they stopped working and he needs to change us RX.  Mental illness is a constant battle.

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

think Ian is still on his meds but I don’t think he is seeing a doctor at all.  My guess is that they stopped working and he needs to change us RX.  Mental illness is a constant battle.

I hope so because this is an interesting story, since it seems everyone, example Fiona, thinks if Ian or a Monica takes their meds all will be good when it's more complicated than that.  I love Ian and I'm afraid the actor might be leaving the show.  Hope they just explore the complicated story with mental illness, his character, and the family dealing with it.  I'd love to see Frank get involved somehow, will they ever mention again that Ian is not actually Frank's bio son? 

This episode was so dark. Between Ian's issues (I immediately assumed suicide) and Dr. Youen's going to jail and Lip's sponsor's relapse (is his name Doug? he looks like a Doug to me). The last two had me and my partner really examining our drinking habits. We'd planned on going dry in January anyway, but after a couple mornings last week where we were missing pieces of the night before and a health scare from one of her friends, we decided to start early, save for a couple NYE drinks. It's tough, to be honest--last night I was really craving wine but I was still able to look forward to going dry and proud of us for going to the gym instead of sitting around drinking. I can't imagine how hard it must be to overcome actual psychological and physiological dependence on alcohol, especially with DTs and seizures and waking up covered in bodily fluids not knowing where you are. It's scary. I know this show is supposed to be campy but this episode hit me right in the guts.

That said, Vee's "I'm not gay I want to be dominated" thing can really go fuck itself. That's not how it works! Kev and Vee are the only characters on this show I actually like, and they deserve better.

• Love 3