Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E29: Mother's Day

• Start Topic

A big retcon with the show is Clare's personality . Her first season on the show , she was a free spirit , lunatic personality .. by the  time she left , she was completely different and was so judgy with everything . 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Does that suit have *shoulder pads*? I thought 80s fashion only inflicted that on women.

Most men's coats have tiny pads to square off the shape of the shoulder a little. They're not supposed to give shoulders to someone who doesn't already have them.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

Parker Lewis CAN lose...himself in that suit jacket.

A David Silver Special indeed...

I always think of the Talking Heads suits when I see David in a giant jacket. 

• Love 4

What is with this show making the pregnant actresses go through dramatic/traumatic pregnancy storylines?  Maybe GC's was a punishment for her daring to get pregnant and demanding they write it in, but obviously they tried to hide Jennie Garth's pregnancy the whole season.  

• Love 4

This is probably giving the writers waaay too much credit but: With regard to Kelly’s oversized white sil pajamas, she did tell Brenda in Slumber Party that she only slept in men’s silk pajamas. Hello continuity! (?)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Man, Claire was right there are ready with her "She's a narcissistic snob" crack. That line was a pull-over and make her get out of the car offence.

Yes! Especially Steve! He has come to blows with people over lesser slights to Samantha.  

This is probably giving the writers waaay too much credit but: With regard to Kelly’s oversized white sil pajamas, she did tell Brenda in Slumber Party that she only slept in men’s silk pajamas. Hello continuity! (?)

Silk

How many more episodes are left? Fourteen? 

I think part of the culture war that has brought us to the disturbing place we currently are re: abortion and women's health is plotlines like THIS where characters get distraught over whether or not to have a baby, like no one ever is just like "oh shit, better call Planned Parenthood." Like even in Val's fake abortion scenario (holy shit ALSO FROM THIS SEASON?!!) she was all like "it was the worst experience of my life!" Like getting an abortion in 1997 was just like getting an abortion in 1847 (anyone here watch Alias Grace on Netflix?)

• Love 6

How has Kelly been sexually active this long and never considered getting on an additional form of birth control?  I would have expected her to be on birth control pills.  I get that they use condoms but that really should be in addition to not in place of birth control.  I know some people can't, don't like them, whatever, blah blah blah.  But for this character, it makes no sense.

It also annoys me that Kelly said when Donna gets pregnant she'll be married and will want to be pregnant.  Married people have unplanned and unwanted pregnancies too.

• Love 7

I like how David is still kind of understanding and compassionate towards Valerie. It's like, he knows that whenever she is coming on to him like that, she has an ulterior motive. So instead of embarrassing her and shaming her over her it, he just cuts to the chase and asks her what she wants. And he doesn't even shit talk her to Donna. He knows Valerie is all kinds of fucked up, and he chooses to passively allow it and accept her for who she is. He neither tries to help her nor harm her.

• Love 3

A big retcon with the show is Clare's personality . Her first season on the show , she was a free spirit , lunatic personality .. by the  time she left , she was completely different and was so judgy with everything . 

I like to imagine that spending three seasons living with Kelly was like being in a cult.  By the time Clare leaves, she's been entirely reprogramed.  

And Jeez, Donna, Valerie's vagina isn't magic.  She can't force David to cheat on you.  All you've done is prove that you don't trust your boyfriend.   

• Love 1

I lost my dad 8 years ago, albeit when I was 35, and Father's Day does kind of suck.  As for Claire and her angst over her mom, I get that folks grieve in different ways and she was supposed to be 10 when her mom died.  However, it's been at least 11 Mother's Days without her.  The dramatics in which it is written seem more appropriate for someone who is dealing with her first Mother's Day without her mom or a few years, not at least a decade.  

On 12/5/2017 at 9:10 AM, Flamingo said:

How has Kelly been sexually active this long and never considered getting on an additional form of birth control?  I would have expected her to be on birth control pills.  I get that they use condoms but that really should be in addition to not in place of birth control.  I know some people can't, don't like them, whatever, blah blah blah.  But for this character, it makes no sense.

Especially when she gave Brenda a very matter-of-fact lecture about needing to be prepared and think seriously about protection all the way back in Season 1. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

I lost my dad 8 years ago, albeit when I was 35, and Father's Day does kind of suck.  As for Claire and her angst over her mom, I get that folks grieve in different ways and she was supposed to be 10 when her mom died.  However, it's been at least 11 Mother's Days without her.  The dramatics in which it is written seem more appropriate for someone who is dealing with her first Mother's Day without her mom or a few years, not at least a decade.  

I think it also wouldn't be quite so eyeroll-worthy if it wasn't the 87th time she's cried over her dead mom in this season alone. If they hadn't already done, say, her crying with Joan about how her mom will never see her get married, this storyline with her grief surrounding Mother's Day could've had some poignancy. Instead, it just highlights the fact that Claire's entire character has been reduced to "nagging shrew who misses her dead mom and cries about it every couple of episodes".

• Love 2

If they hadn't already done, say, her crying with Joan about how her mom will never see her get married, this storyline with her grief surrounding Mother's Day could've had some poignancy.

And it would be especially poignant given that Joan was like 70 when she had her baby, so that kid is very likely to end up in Claire's shoes. 

• Love 3