Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: The Champagne Campaign

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 12/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, CaliforniaLove said:

Not to be crass, but am I the only one thinking that maybe the Bri/Nico sex wasn't all that great? While I totally agree that he's a douche who wants what he wants in the moment without regard for other people's feelings, his realization that he still wanted to be with his girlfriend back home seemed to happen immediately following their night at the hotel. He had already broken up with Melissa, and was consciously doing what he was doing with Bri for weeks (or at least days...who knows with editing), so it's not like the hotel was a result of a random drunken night to make him pull a "WTF did I do?!". After everything, there was really no reason to not hang out in St. Martin for a couple of days, go back to Chicago, and then try to get back with his girlfriend. I don't see why him not continuing  to hook up with Bri would have made a difference at that point, so I just think they weren't *ahem*...compatible. 

I think liked the chase and when the chase was over he was done.  He's a douche.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

Speaking of the Captain, I normally "get" his one-liners, but what he said about how Timothy Sykes was more likely to see God twice in the next 30 minutes than spraying him with a champagne bottle went totally over my head. What did that mean?

The chances of seeing God are very low, the chances of seeing him twice are even lower, so the chances of Sykes spraying Lee with a champagne bottle are close to zero.  

• Love 8

I thought Bri said something either in her THs or general filming that lead me to believe she knew about his situation. It's a small boat, so I have a hard time believing they don't all basically know each other's business. And I have plenty of sympathy for women who get tricked into having relations with a taken dude - it DOES happen - but I don't think that was the case. I think she knew and didn't care. 

I wasn't implying Bri knew nothing about Melissa, just that we have no idea what he told her about the seriousness of that relationship or how it ended.  A perfect example is comparing what he said in his interviews vs. what he told Bri for the reason he was going home.  Sometimes you don't know someone is liar until they lie to you.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I thought Bri said something either in her THs or general filming that lead me to believe she knew about his situation.

She totally said something, which in my opinion is why there isn't really room for a debate...you can get into the semantics of who was the TRUE "cheater", but at the end of the day? They're both dicks.

• Love 14
20 hours ago, greyflannel said:

Heads up for the reunion. On my cable, Comcast, the reunion on Tuesday is listed as WWHL, not BD, so the scheduled season recording of BD didn't have it set to record.

Thanks for this! I'm on AT&T and it was the same. I'd have missed it, otherwise.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

She totally said something, which in my opinion is why there isn't really room for a debate...you can get into the semantics of who was the TRUE "cheater", but at the end of the day? They're both dicks.

I don't watch the whole show, often surfin' away with anything more interesting, but Bri definitely knew what was what, but didn't care! This is really on her; not just him for a change! I can understand liking someone, but if they're taken, women need to back off because the guy will always take advantage of the situation! They're always on the prowl and if someone like Bri just offers herself, he should decline, but there's an inability since he has a built in excuse; "MY BRO DIED!" I've never understood mourning! Maybe I just don't have a heart, but if it's time, it's time; even if an accident or disease! There's no sense hanging on to it; "let it go NICO!" I've lost 2 dads and can't remember dropping a tear or whining about it; rarely if ever bringing it up! It's one reason I don't ask people about family! I don't want to be one of those disingenuous people apologizing for saying the wrong thing! I don't ask about age, parents, or "when's that baby due" when the woman is just a beast who happens to be wearing a maternity-like top! ;-)

• Love 1

I've known women like Bri and I think she's a "Love the one you're with" kind of person. I love my friends so I can forgive Bri her indiscretions. She's at an age and she has the inclination to travel and explore the world. Bri will be able to travel safely to more parts of the world with a man by her side, and I think she's looking for a travel partner a much as a relationship. Nico seemed to  fit the bill, he's big and strong and good looking. She had her pick of the men of Valor (slim pickings though!) and settled on Nico as the best option. What a dud he turned out to be! LOSER with a capital L! Where do you start with him? Bad leader, bad follower, bad boyfriend (to both Hometown Honey and Bri), unqualified for the position he assumed he was due, arrogant (chiseled jaw?), coward (waits until the last minute to tell Bri they're over), and general dick. 

I don't think Bri's heart is hurt by Nico dumping her, maybe her pride was hurt but not her heart. He's really not what she's looking for nor needs.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2017 at 8:56 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I politely disagree. I do think that she is the kind of person who would be late chronically and always put her selfish needs first (her hair styling being one example). I hope for the sake of her daughter that I'm wrong. Any future employer who sees this show on her resume might watch and say nope, no dice and take a pass on hiring her. It does not show her in a flattering light. It's also probably why she chose real estate. She can choose her hours to some extent and put into it just enough to get out of it what she needs. 

I really like Jen (maybe because I think she's pretty; I'm a man and I can admit I'm sometimes shallow :D ), and even I am on your side on this one, @Mindthinkr. I think she's chronically late. I also think she's probably fairly high maintenance. In fact, I suspect that she's someone that people should probably tell to be ready an hour before she actually needs to be ready, just so that she'll actually be ready on time. Anyone she may marry in the future should be aware of her disregard for other people's time and find a way to manipulate her into being ready on time.

• Love 2
On 12/7/2017 at 2:19 PM, fifty8th said:

She does deserve something like disdain but not EQUAL blame, I the word blame feels wrong here as well (even if it was blame I don't think it would be equal). She has nothing invested in his old relationship, meaning she does not know the girl so other than being a crappy thing to do to another person if Nico wants to fool around with her whatever. She flirted but not too over the top, sorry but it is up to the person in the relationship to say no, it just is, she didn't force him to do it. 

It's a matter of treating other people how you would like to be treated. Would she expect other single ladies to respect the fact her boyfriend is in a relationship? Would she be ok with her boyfriend breaking up with her so he can cling to the technicality of not being a cheater in order to bang the latest flavor? If the shoe that she and Nico forced Melissa to wear were on Brianna's foot, how would Brianna feel about it? If she would be upset about any of it, then she should show the same respect to Melissa (and any other woman whose boyfriend Brianna is considering flirting with or banging) and she should demand the same level of ethical behavior from Nico that she would expect if she were in Melissa's place.

• Love 5
On 12/9/2017 at 2:12 PM, Fiero425 said:

I don't watch the whole show, often surfin' away with anything more interesting, but Bri definitely knew what was what, but didn't care! This is really on her; not just him for a change! I can understand liking someone, but if they're taken, women need to back off because the guy will always take advantage of the situation! They're always on the prowl and if someone like Bri just offers herself, he should decline, but there's an inability since he has a built in excuse; "MY BRO DIED!" I've never understood mourning! Maybe I just don't have a heart, but if it's time, it's time; even if an accident or disease! There's no sense hanging on to it; "let it go NICO!" I've lost 2 dads and can't remember dropping a tear or whining about it; rarely if ever bringing it up! It's one reason I don't ask people about family! I don't want to be one of those disingenuous people apologizing for saying the wrong thing! I don't ask about age, parents, or "when's that baby due" when the woman is just a beast who happens to be wearing a maternity-like top! ;-)

Oh, whoa! Slow down there, Skippy! Your assertions are flat-out offensive. The guys who take advantage of those situations are the ones that are immature and don't care about any of the people with whom they are involved. They're also the ones who are continually on the prowl. However, there are many men - I would even go so far as to say "most" - who are mature, have control over themselves and are able to keep their behaviour in-line with the ethical standards that are expected of them, whether those expectations are internally or externally set (though I would expect that most of the time, they're internally set). This whole attitude of "That's just boys being boys" really needs to die a horrible, painful death and it needed that years ago.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Oh, whoa! Slow down there, Skippy! Your assertions are flat-out offensive. The guys who take advantage of those situations are the ones that are immature and don't care about any of the people with whom they are involved. They're also the ones who are continually on the prowl. However, there are many men - I would even go so far as to say "most" - who are mature, have control over themselves and are able to keep their behaviour in-line with the ethical standards that are expected of them, whether those expectations are internally or externally set (though I would expect that most of the time, they're internally set). This whole attitude of "That's just boys being boys" really needs to die a horrible, painful death and it needed that years ago.

Honey, it's called exaggeration and hyperbole; look it up! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425

@Fiero425 Just wanted to check you're aware that this communication medium transmits none of the nuance that tone of voice does, and also that I'm not psychic. I respond to what's literally on the screen with as few assumptions as possible (since there's nothing there on which to base them, after all). You're the one who went for the stereotype and decided to bash an entire gender. Perhaps check your own entitlement?

• Love 5
13 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Agreed.  I'm female, and I found that pretty offensive.   And, as you pointed out, inaccurate.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, CaliforniaLove said:

Exactly.  Similar situation on Vanderpump Rules (don't judge me).   Jax cheated on Brittany with an ex-server at SUR named, Faith.  Faith was well aware that Jax was in a live-in relationship but she just didn't care.  Jax is a habitual cheater but Faith, imo, is also a dick for knowingly screwing a man/child that has a long term girlfriend.

It seems like Brittany has since forgiven Jax and they're back together, so she's a dick, too. 

Melissa, if you're paying attention, don't be a Brittany. 

• Love 4
On 12/9/2017 at 0:12 PM, Fiero425 said:

Not everyone, not even all males, have an antisocial personality disorder.

• Love 1

So as Kate works on the lame plastic champagne fountain for the 4th hour (seriously, it was daylight when she started that mess and still wasn't done after dark) she invites Kyle to sit down.

Kate:  "I want to know what's going on with you mentally."  Kyle answers by saying something about how he thinks she been kind of funny with him lately.    She replies:

"Yes, Kyle.  This is exactly what I need right now - is for you to come to me with your feelings while I have a list of a million things to do."  You just told him you wanted to know what was going on with him mentally.  Did she want an answer or just another reason to dazzle us with her douchiness in a TH.  My guess is the latter.  She lives for that.

She's insufferable.  Kyle, who can't imagine why Kate was being cold to him, when last season she was his 'friend', is reminded by Nico that Kate isn't capable of having friends.  True story, yo.

That said, I hate this primary more than I hate her.  And that's saying something.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2017 at 10:17 PM, McManda said:

Bri doesn't know what was up with Nico every since the hotel? Um ... he banged you and was done, that's what was up. 

This whole thing gave me such flash backs to comforting my roommate in college after she slept with a guy and he stopped calling.  Because it's so obvious...  from the OUTside.  

On 12/10/2017 at 0:32 AM, lcarolynl said:

I don't think Bri's heart is hurt by Nico dumping her, maybe her pride was hurt but not her heart. He's really not what she's looking for nor needs.

Agree.  I think she's well rid of him and appreciates that, but it must really burn to have been played on national television -- the multiple scenes of her cuddling up to him after we'd already seen him talking about how over her he was.  He didn't just break up with her -- he let her continue to fawn over him after he knew it was over, knowing that her fawning was being filmed for transmission to everybody who knows or will ever know her.  He even told the other guys before he told her, making her affectionate comments about him to THEM seem pathetic (both in person and on national television). That's humiliating.

As far as "the only person cheating is the one in the relationship" excuse, fine, she wasn't cheating.  But she was driving the cheating getaway car.  

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, kassa said:

This whole thing gave me such flash backs to comforting my roommate in college after she slept with a guy and he stopped calling.  Because it's so obvious...  from the OUTside.  

Nico and Bri were sleeping in the same tiny bed, no doubt in my mind that they were having sex on the boat. I think he broke it off because the season was over not because he had sex with her once.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Nico and Bri were sleeping in the same tiny bed, no doubt in my mind that they were having sex on the boat. I think he broke it off because the season was over not because he had sex with her once.

Oh, I don't think it's because they had sex once and he was done -- but I think he took what he needed while he needed it, and when the end of the season was in sight decided he needed to ease out of it (and pontificate in his talking heads about how he needed to be straight with her, she deserved it -- then in the moment he lied and said he was going home to deal with his grieving family).

I don't think she necessarily had eyes on marrying the guy or even a long commitment, but I think she definitely thought it was something that could go off the boat into some travel/party/optimize show opportunities time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kassa said:

As far as "the only person cheating is the one in the relationship" excuse, fine, she wasn't cheating.  But she was driving the cheating getaway car.  

I love this. I'm going to use this even though as a lawyer I know it's not legally analogous. It gets at the heart of what bothers many people about the other person who abets the cheating.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I love this. I'm going to use this even though as a lawyer I know it's not legally analogous. It gets at the heart of what bothers many people about the other person who abets the cheating.

Thanks. I've used that analogy for 20 years, but coincidentally Taylor Swift has a song on her new album that uses it (about the Hiddleston relationship?) - "nothing good starts in a getaway car."

I watched this season on Prime, and just wow.  I have no idea why Nico got his bosun epaulettes.  He was terrible as lead deckhand, and if EJ had not been brought in, I have no doubt that Nico would have either been fired or demoted.  Basically, to me, it seemed as though EJ did the actual work of training the deckhands, and Nico then benefited after EJ left.  

I also marveled at Jen's ability to create her own reality.  It wasn't that Jen was a terrible stew who was repeatedly late for her shifts, took too long to complete basic tasks and acted put out by basically everything, it was that Kate was really unfair and mean.  I think Kate nailed it when she said Jen was too old and too set in her ways to actually do the job Kate needed her to do.  

On the positive side, Baker was pretty cool.  I kind of loved that she basically blew off Jen's drunken insults by noting that this was just what Jen was like when she was drunk.  

Also, perhaps the best moment of the entire season: Matt asking his ex if she thought they would be able to see each other after the charter season ended and her responding: "Nope."   

• Love 4