Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: The Scorpion and The Frog

Diane
  • Start Topic

THE BIG HEIST – Feeling as if they are running out of options, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) agree to steal a mysterious trunk belonging to a demon named Barthamus (guest star David Cubitt), in exchange for a locater spell the Winchesters can use to track down Jack. Writer: Meredith Glynn Director: Robert Singer

• Love 1

This was a harmless little filler episode.  I actually liked most of the characters.  Even the demons weren't your typical boring demons.  It had humorous moments and was inoffensive, which I know doesn't exactly sound like a glowing recommendation, but I enjoyed the episode for the most part.

But seriously, rule number one with burning paper...just step on it!  The fact that they had Sam actually try to blow the flames out and then fan them out is absurd.  All he did was make it burn faster, and certainly Sam would know this basic concept about paper and fire.  That scene was laugh-out-loud stupid.  

• Love 20

A bit of a throwaway episode but I have to admit, it was kind of fun. I enjoyed the broment at the end - the first one this season that felt genuine to me. I have nits I could pick, but for what it was, I enjoyed it.

I must say one thing, it was really nice to see a young woman who appreciated Dean's looks. He's Jensen freaking Ackles ffs!! :)

• Love 12

I liked it.  But, I yelled at them a couple of times.  Dean, you don't eat pie that a demon offers you.  You just don't.  And, if you must put your hand in that thing, put your left hand in.  You are right handed.  If it's going to chomp your hand off, you want it to be the left one.

I loved when they sailed Luther through the room on his chair for him to get hit by all the darts.  That was awesome.

Couldn't they find anything better to fake sell than the demon knife.  You really don't want to lose that guys.

How come all the demons seem to have angel blades now?

How many times do I have to yell "Grab the paper!" before you do it.  I put on that on you, Sam.  You were closer.

I liked Smash. I wonder what she sold her soul for.

Speaking of, I'm really sick of this show making it seem like it's a noble thing to sell your immortal soul to buy someone else a few more years.  It's ridiculous is what it is.  And, his son died a few years later because he drowned.  Well, yeah, old stupid guy.  Everybody dies of something eventually.

Why did I like this again?  I guess because it was fast paced, had some pretty funny moments like Dean's very reasonable hesitation at sticking his hand in a mouth, and the fact that they actually killed a demon for once instead of just blindly working with him because it's the easy way.

• Love 8

It was okay.

But MY GODS THEY ACTUALLY fucking used Dean's Hell time in a meaningful way. The blood of a man who's been to Hell and back was useful. I legit gasped when they showed that!

And now that Dean's blood can be used to track stuff...they should probably use it again.

Dean is me on spiders. I love him even more now that I know he doesn't do spiders.

Sam is the one talking to Cas(modeus) so Dean can't ping something is off with Cas, right? Dean should have pinged last week. PLOTONIUM RME

Nice try at creating a not!Crowley but no go and good thing you killed him. I see you, Dabb. Boo.

Still pissed that Dean ate pie from a demon.

Did they get the demon knife back?

Sam, you have been on fire before and you knew to pat it to extinguish the flame. Kick dirt on it. That was stupid. PLOTONIUM. 

But meh, it was okay.

That was a badass stunt with Dean driving in reverse and Sam shooting out the tires.

• Love 7

They say Sam is the smart one, but he doesn't know how to put out a fire. Spoiler : don't blow on it.

Did not like that episode very much. The characters didn't do anything for me, all I could see was Crowley 2.0 and Charlie ripoff. The dissonance between the seriousness of the situation and Dean whacky adventures with Alice just made everything really weird to me.

But since it was 100% a filler and nothing happened, it's okay. I liked that the brothers chose to do a good thing even if it meant not finding Jack. They might've had part of the spell if Sam hadn't acted like a neanderthal. Not sure why that bit was needed.

At least it felt like a real Supernatural episode, and after last week's atrocity, we're back on the right track.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 9

OMG how did I forget about the spiders?!! Dean really is my spirit animal. I guess Indy had snakes, Dean has spiders. Heh.

And yes!!! they acknowledged that Dean went to Hell. How shocking! (and I mean that sincerely - I was stunned)

I wonder what the distinction is though? Sam went to Hell, unless the Cage wasn't actually in Hell? And they both walked in and out when they went after Lucifer in S11. Maybe it had to be someone who was damned? Who had sold their soul?

• Love 3

You know, I had a lot of mixed feelings about this episode when watching it. Maybe I'll like it more, or maybe I'll hate it more, if I rewatch but my initial impressions? At times, I disliked it, and at times, I actually liked it. 

Negatives

• Bart essentially implying that Dean was stupid, when he called Sam the smart one. Like, screw you, Crossroads Demon. I thought he was impressed by Dean, but then kind of insulted him too, especially since Sam got knocked out and Dean got the hit on Luther. 
  • Sam and Dean being stupid at various points during the episode. Actually, it was more Sam. I guess he was handed the idiot ball tonight. Standing around, gaping at Immortal Demon and then getting hit, even though he could have totally moved out of the way. Standing around while Bart was burning alive and it took several seconds for anyone to move for the spell. 
  • What the hell was with that weird subtitle opening. 7:45 pm on a Friday night. Why is that important? Why in the world was that needed to be stated at all? 
  • Hipster Demon Grab. Sorry, but he did not really impress me all that much as a demon.
  • Sam and Dean being stupid by not having a back-up plan in case something like Bart betraying them or any other unforeseen plan happened. They kind of just went "ok" without having some sort of back-up idea.
  • Luther blaming Bart for his son's death. Technically, Bart can't promise that his death wouldn't have come at some point. 
  • I wanted to laugh at Dean's scene with opening the vault, but I was mildly irritated. Hmm. Maybe on rewatch, I'll laugh a bit more. 

Positives

• That it was just Sam and Dean working a case. No Cas, no Jack, no Lucifer, no Mary, no Asmodeus (though several mentions)
  • Alice. You know what? I actually really enjoyed her. I haven't enjoyed a female this much since Charlie. She was quirky, but not overly so, she had some rough edges, and she totally had a crush on Dean. She was entertaining without being annoying for me, and I would be fine to see her return. Although now, if she appears again, I'll start Smash Death Watch. 
  • Dean's blood needed to open the vault. On top of that, flashback to Dean's time in hell almost a full decade ago! I had my finger on my remote to turn the channel because I was bored before the flashback happened. Then I was interested again.
  • The plan to roll Luther into the vault to get rid of his traps. I questioned why they were seemingly one trick traps and how they set them all off without reigniting them, but ok. 
  • Ok, I am going to put Hipster Demon as a positive as well, as I'm thinking about it. His few moments with Alice were kind of fun. And his amusement over Dean's tracking arm was enjoyable.
  • Bart was somewhat entertaining and menacing. 
  • The scene of Dean's tracking arm. That was hilarious, especially when he was turning to yell at Grab and his arm just totally 'noped' him. 
  • It was nice to have that brotherly scene at the end of the episode. Again, it's just nice to have Sam and Dean without any others interfering. 

Overall, still a mixed episode. I liked it and got annoyed by it. I guess it's a harmless filler episode. 

• Love 12

I thought this episode was fun. I liked the Indiana Jones vibe and the supporting characters were fun. Although the guy reminded me of HR from Flash S3.

I was worried they were setting up Bart as a 2nd rate Crowley. I'm glad he was a one and done.

I liked the girl (blanking on her name), I thought there were some definite vibes between her and Dean. Wouldn't mind seeing her again.

My favorite part had to be the car chase scene. That was pretty fun.

• Love 3
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

I wonder what the distinction is though? Sam went to Hell, unless the Cage wasn't actually in Hell? And they both walked in and out when they went after Lucifer in S11. Maybe it had to be someone who was damned? Who had sold their soul?

I think it's because Dean was dragged to Hell by hellhounds. That's my story. I'm not having this taken away from me LOL

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I liked the girl (blanking on her name), I thought there were some definite vibes between her and Dean. Wouldn't mind seeing her again.

I took her to be more of a Charlie/little sister kind of thing. Not any sexy times stuff.

• Love 3

I really liked this one. Like a LOT. Maybe I have a lower set of expectations these days, but I thought it was pretty fun all the way around. Yes, I yelled at Sam for blowing on the burning paper. (He’s the smart one?!) But. Remembering Dean’s time in hell, complete with flashbacks? Thumbs up. Dean the Dowsing Rod? Surprisingly funny. Dean sticking his hand in that mouth after all the hemming and hawing and spiders then just getting his finger pricked? Hilarious. Sam coming up with duct taping Luther to the chair to expend all the darts? Actually smart. 

I assume that Alice is on her way to being a Wayward Sister? I like her better than Claire at this point, so....

Plus that sweet scene between the brothers with bonus Dean in one layer? Priceless. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought this episode was fun. I liked the Indiana Jones vibe and the supporting characters were fun. Although the guy reminded me of HR from Flash S3.

I was worried they were setting up Bart as a 2nd rate Crowley. I'm glad he was a one and done.

My favorite part had to be the car chase scene. That was pretty fun.

I kept trying to place the actor and couldn't. Thank heavens for IMDb - he was the cop in Medium.

He said he was 'the' crossroads demon, post-Crowley. So does that mean no more deals now?

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I took her to be more of a Charlie/little sister kind of thing. Not any sexy times stuff.

I don't know.  She did mention his pretty face when referring to him to the crossroad's demon (sorry...can't remember any of the character's names until rewatch).  

I think part of the reason I liked it was because it was fairly light-hearted.  Things have been very depressing and dark so far this season.  It was nice to have the change of pace.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

That was a badass stunt with Dean driving in reverse and Sam shooting out the tires.

Definitely. Add this as another reason I got a kick out of this episode.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

He said he was 'the' crossroads demon, post-Crowley. So does that mean no more deals now?

That never made any sense to me because there were multiple crossroads demons throughout the show. Sam tortured one as recently as s10. So yeah that's a retcon if they are going with that.

1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

I don't know.  She did mention his pretty face when referring to him to the crossroad's demon (sorry...can't remember any of the character's names until rewatch).  

That doesn't mean there will be anything between them. Dean is a gorgeous man so to me she was just remarking on his good looks, like anyone who isn't blind can see (objectively Dean is other worldly good looking man).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

That never made any sense to me because there were multiple crossroads demons throughout the show. Sam tortured one as recently as s10. So yeah that's a retcon if they are going with that.

There was a King of the Crossroads though, somebody was bound to take the throne. A new demon will just take Bart's place.

I can't get over Sam's stupidity. In many ways both brothers were portrayed like they used to be in standalones of the Carver era, dumbing them down whenever possible. This got much better after Carver left so this episode felt like a dumbass PTSD flashback

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I kept trying to place the actor and couldn't. Thank heavens for IMDb - he was the cop in Medium.

I thought he meant THE Crossroads demon. As in he's the head honcho, big cheese, lead Crossroads Demon, etc.

Not in the sense of being the only Crossroads Demon.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

That doesn't mean there will be anything between them. Dean is a gorgeous man so to me she was just remarking on his good looks, like anyone who isn't blind can see (objectively Dean is other worldly good looking man).

I agree that it won't go anywhere, but I did get a hint of a bit of flirting going on, which was fun to see.  They've been way too serious for way too long.  

I almost forgot about the shout out to Dean's hell time.  Obviously, someone's been reading the boards.  It wasn't huge, but then it never needed to be.  Just a simple acknowledgment that the show actually remembered Dean went to hell was more than sufficient and long overdo.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

I agree that it won't go anywhere, but I did get a hint of a bit of flirting going on, which was fun to see.  They've been way too serious for way too long.  

I almost forgot about the shout out to Dean's hell time.  Obviously, someone's been reading the boards.  It wasn't huge, but then it never needed to be.  Just a simple acknowledgment that the show actually remembered Dean went to hell was more than sufficient and long overdo.

Yep. Just look at Dean's face when Grab tells the she said Dean was 'a pretty face'. He was shyly/flattered as only Dean/Jensen can be, and she was embarrassed. It was cute and charming to see her crushing a little, and covering it with smart-ass remarks. Loved it!

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, bethy said:
23 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It was nice to have that brotherly scene at the end of the episode. Again, it's just nice to have Sam and Dean without any others interfering. 

33 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I must say one thing, it was really nice to see a young woman who appreciated Dean's looks. He's Jensen freaking Ackles ffs!! :)

Remembering Dean’s time in hell, complete with flashbacks? Thumbs up.

I won't be able to watch until tomorrow evening but this makes me very hopeful for an enjoyable episode :)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I liked it.  But, I yelled at them a couple of times.  Dean, you don't eat pie that a demon offers you.  You just don't.  And, if you must put your hand in that thing, put your left hand in.  You are right handed.  If it's going to chomp your hand off, you want it to be the left one.

That's a good point!!

And the blade thing - I asked that out loud (my cat did not answer me). Does everyone and their uncle have an angel blade now?

2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yep. Just look at Dean's face when Grab tells the she said Dean was 'a pretty face'. He was shyly/flattered as only Dean/Jensen can be, and she was embarrassed. It was cute and charming to see her crushing a little, and covering it with smart-ass remarks. Loved it!

That's so funny. I didn't get any flirting just admiration of a handsome man. I didn't think she was hitting on him, not in a serious way.

I miss Crowley. It's clear that if he was still alive this episode would have been him as the main demon. I guess they are also setting up the new crossroads guy as the new king of hell.

• Love 1

I don't think either one of them were hitting on the other, just some harmless flirting.  Not a big deal, but fun.  Or at least different from what we've been seeing this season.  I get that Jack is still in the wind, and that they don't even know about Cas and Lucifer yet, so there's plenty of angst to come.  It was just nice to get a break from it for a while.

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Miles said:

I miss Crowley. It's clear that if he was still alive this episode would have been him as the main demon. I guess they are also setting up the new crossroads guy as the new king of hell.

Uhh, new crossroads guy is now crispy crossroads guy. He is no more.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Miles said:

The ... guy that just died ?

I agree with you about Crowley though. My opinion was that the character had long overstayed its welcome, but between Asmodeus and Bart it just feels like they're showing me potential scenes where Crowley would shine.

Trying to imitate or replace Crowley is a mistake. Mark Sheppard was too special, nothing will work. The show has to move on from characters like him since he'll never come back (and it's actually nice to have that certainty for at least one character, since everyone and their mothers seem to come back this season).

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Uhh, new crossroads guy is now crispy crossroads guy. He is no more.

I believe it when I see him not returning for at least a season. That bone burning thing shouldn't work in the first place anyway. Burning bones just severs the connection a ghost has to this world. For demons that connection was severed a long time ago. They just crawled their way back out. So burning the bones should do nothing.

Maybe I'm just super in denial about all the bullshit the writers are pulling. Guess we'll see.

Edited by Miles
2 minutes ago, Miles said:

I believe it when I see him not returning for at least a season. That bone burning thing shouldn't work in the first place anyway. Burning bones just severs the connection a ghost has to this world. For demons that connection was severed a long time ago. They just crawled their way back out. So burning the bones should do nothing.

Maybe I'm just super in denial about all the bullshit the writers are pulling. Guess we'll see.

He seemed pretty miffed about the whole thing so I think he's dunzo.

I thought that on this show at least, the burning of demon bones has been shown to be a surefire way to kill them for good?

• Love 4
Just now, MysteryGuest said:

I thought that on this show at least, the burning of demon bones has been shown to be a surefire way to kill them for good?

Yes, in Weekend At Bobby's. Not for Crowley as that was a trick, but for the demon chick at the beginning that Bobby crispied.

I don't remember if this was used again after that.

• Love 4
Just now, MysteryGuest said:

Yes, with the very flimsy explaination that they "are just souped up ghost", which like I just explained makes no sense. But it's not like we didn't have a few recent lazaruses the writers pulled out of their behinds. Rowina and Arthur ring a bell? The later being in the "previously on" of this episode...

2 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Yep. Just like burnt up angel wings and white light means angels are dead. :P 

Seriously though, I think ol' Bart is history.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, bethy said:

Remembering Dean’s time in hell, complete with flashbacks? Thumbs up.

I have not watched the episode yet, but seeing this makes me SO. HAPPY. I can hardly believe it! And not just that it was mentioned, that it was used in the story somehow? Icing on the cake!

(When was the last time this came up in an episode? I remember at the beginning of season 7, in "Hello, Cruel World", Dean mentioned to Sam that he has been to Hell, and "knows a thing or two about torture." Has it really been that long since it's even been mentioned?)

Hey, maybe next the show will remember that Dean is the Sword of Michael, and his one true vessel! Or is that just crazy talk? :-)

• Love 4

Yes, with the very flimsy explaination that they "are just souped up ghost", which like I just explained makes no sense. But it's not like we didn't have a few recent lazaruses the writers pulled out of their behinds. Rowina and Arthur ring a bell? The later being in the "previously on" of this episode...

Rowena and Ketch were brought back by spell work. I don

2 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

(When was the last time this came up in an episode? I remember at the beginning of season 7, in "Hello, Cruel World", Dean mentioned to Sam that he has been to Hell, and "knows a thing or two about torture." Has it really been that long since it's even been mentioned?)

When Dean went back to Hell to rescue Sam in s11, Dean paused and gathered himself before going back. But that was all Jensen.

This was a legitimate tie for Dean and his Hell time.

Mostly fun.  Some good moments (the car reverse-chase, Alice's scenes with Dean, and the fact that they got a win!), some OTT (I thought Dean's squeamishness about sticking his hand in the sculpture's mouth was overplayed, which was probably Jensen's doing), and a few WTF moments (not counting Sam blowing on the paper...)

--my reaction to the meetings with Bart:  First, ask what he wants *before* you check out what's he's offering to see if it's even worth considering.  ("I'll need a small favor"  doesn't really count as a starting point for bartering.)  Second, when he told them he wanted them to retrieve something but wouldn't say what it was, they should at least ask if it was anything that, oh, might start another apocalypse, or turn God's sister loose, or destroy a city or two....you know, something they might not want a demon to have?

--They've gotten awfully cavalier about (trying to) kill humans these days.  Sure, what's his name had just shot at Sam, but his reaction was to knife him in the gut?  (And later Dean just shot him about a dozen times, but at least he warned him first... :) )  And the guy didn't even tie Sam up after knocking him out (or he got out of his ropes awfully fast...)  

Mostly, when they brought up Dean's time in Hell, I could swear I heard @catrox14's head exploding.   Glad to see you're OK! :)

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, BoxManLocke said:

Yes, in Weekend At Bobby's. Not for Crowley as that was a trick, but for the demon chick at the beginning that Bobby crispied.

Right, Cas didn't actually burn Crowley's bones, which is why Crowley didn't really die.  But Crowley was shown to be very concerned about his bones, so I do believe it's a real thing (real for SPN world, anyway).

15 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yep. Just like burnt up angel wings and white light means angels are dead. :P 

I believe Cas is the only angel with burnt wings and white light who's been brought back, right?  And if we chalk that up to the all powerful nephilim, then technically, the lore still stands.  I don't know if we'll ever get an explanation of exactly how that worked, but it was a surprise even to the entity in The Empty.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

He didn't mean he was the only one. He meant he was the head one. In charge of all the deals.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Sam to Dean.  "Don't get dead.

Just curious @catrox14 if you see this as more forshadowing?

I know you weren't askin gme, Sam told Dean not to die in Time After Time. I think they told each other than in Survival of the Fittest.    It's just something they say to each other.  Like good luck.  LOL.

• Love 3

Over the top comic moments, I think that is on Jensen.  Fans seem to push for it, so he just gives it to them.  It would be nice to see other types but I think if he tries to tone it down, the director pushes for more.  JMV

I didn't see the beginning yet, but so far it was entertaining.  Fun.  I think more checks go in the win column than the lose.  One I would like to rewatch.

At least they gave both brothers some positive moments even if they created some stupid moves that I doubt they would do unless it was to provide a gag...:)

I can agree that some of the 'comic' moments, ie, the gross eating, falling over the fence, clumsiness, etc., are ott and overplayed, but not tonight. IMO the whole sequence, from being lead around by his arm, to the conversation (with himself and with Alice) before sticking his hand into the lock, to the reaction to being caught/pricked, was spot on comedy. It was supposed to be a little slap-sticky, IMO. I loved it, and I am one who *hates* Dean being made to be foolish.

• Love 11

They remembered Dean went to Hell!  Yes!  And it meant something in regard to the story.  Double yes!!

I even thought there was an echo of the Righteous Man, in that something with an angelic element had a connection to Dean.  

But seriously, rule number one with burning paper...just step on it!  The fact that they had Sam actually try to blow the flames out and then fan them out is absurd.  All he did was make it burn faster, and certainly Sam would know this basic concept about paper and fire.  That scene was laugh-out-loud stupid.

I know.  I just sat there staring at the screen and going "Sam, you idiotsky!  What are you doing?"  To make it worse, he wasn't only blowing on it, he was also waving his hand over it.  Because feeding it just one way wasn't enough!

Well, we know from "Sin City" that the Cage most likely was not in Hell, since Casey indicated that demons believed in their god, Lucifer, even though they didn't really know if he existed.  Which they most likely would have, if they'd had to walk around the Cage on a regular basis.  I thought it meant someone who had actually gone to Hell, ie, died and ended up in Hell, because of a deal or because he/she was a thoroughly rotten person, and who had then gotten out.  

I can agree that some of the 'comic' moments, ie, the gross eating, falling over the fence, clumsiness, etc., are ott and overplayed, but not tonight. IMO the whole sequence, from being lead around by his arm, to the conversation (with himself and with Alice) before sticking his hand into the lock, to the reaction to being caught/pricked, was spot on comedy. It was supposed to be a little slap-sticky, IMO. I loved it, and I am one who *hates* Dean being made to be foolish.

I feel the same way.  I especially loved how someone who has faced down every kind of supernatural beastie, demons, angels, Lucifer, Death, God, Amara, you name it, was unraveling over the idea of putting his hand blindly into something that might have spiders.  Because...SPIDERS!!!!  (I know exactly how you feel, Dean!  lol).

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

Loved it! Total shout out to AwesomO4000! "Spiders!"

Hee.

Though considering that Dean hates spiders and Sam has seemed to like them i the past, I think it would be entirely amusing if Sam got himself a pet tarantula just to bug Dean (pun intended). Then whenever Dean went into Sam's room, he'd have to be creeped out. I think it would entirely be a little brother thing to do.

But then again, I know that would also creep you out, too, Mick Lady, so never mind. ; )

4 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

from being lead around by his arm,

I enjoyed that sequence entirely too much, I think. For some reason I got an "Evil Dead: Army of Darkness" vibe from that, though I don't know why.

I was so glad that Sam came up with the Hannibal Lecter rolling chair of a hundred darts idea, because at least that was clever, and the earlier scene made Sam look somewhat dim, because of course the guy wasn't going to buy his whole spiel. I'm just going to ignore the scene of Sam trying to blow the burning paper out or convince myself that Sam trying to unfold his moose body and step on the paper would've taken to long to save the paper anyway.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

Mostly, when they brought up Dean's time in Hell, I could swear I heard @catrox14's head exploding.   Glad to see you're OK! :)

LOL I shit you not, I gasped and said "HOLY SHIT".  This is what wrote in my notes because I couldn't formulate words : "OH MY GOD. Blood of man, been to Hell back. SHOCK!!
Seriously that's the most shocking this show has done since Dean killed Death.

I think the fact that Dean's blood can track stuff, will come back later ( I hope).

• Love 2