Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Front Towards Enemy

I know it might be too on the nose, but I would've enjoyed it if Karen and the Senator had been on Trish Walker's radio show. Though I guess she wouldn't have had the same line of questioning. I know New York has more than one radio show, but it would've been a nice tie in. If we can't have Claire Temple...

How does Bernthal have chemistry with everyone?

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, Pogojoco said:

The man is amazing.

Fuck Lewis! He needs to die, that little psycho. No one hurts Curtis!

Wow, the ending with Frank being revealed. Loves the way the filmed it with Frank standing between the 2 monitors showing his dash can footage.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
On 11/18/2017 at 10:35 PM, Pogojoco said:

I know it might be too on the nose, but I would've enjoyed it if Karen and the Senator had been on Trish Walker's radio show. Though I guess she wouldn't have had the same line of questioning. I know New York has more than one radio show, but it would've been a nice tie in. If we can't have Claire Temple...

This. I was hoping no it was going to be Trish Talk but it was a different radio show. I guess we still don't know if this was before or after Defenders. I assume after because I expect things to be in some type of order.

They really had me scared for Curtis. I don't know what I would have done if he died. When Frank was explaining how he lost his leg was heartbreaking. You know he is carrying that guilt. Lewis is going to die bloody and I can't wait. 

Damn it Karen of course you would piss off a psycho. How many times does this woman need to be rescued. I hope she has takes some sort of self defense lessons. Claire and Trish at least try to protect themselves outside of there super friends. I don't know if I can handle Karen being the go to damsel in distress all the time.

So much as I can look at naked Ben Barnes all day everyday I'm glad they didn't add another sex scene. It's just too damn much. 

• Love 3
On 11/18/2017 at 10:35 PM, Pogojoco said:

I've felt for a while they really missed a nice opportunity to tie the shows together with Trish's show. They did once with Luke Cage, they could have easily had a scene in DD2 with just a radio playing in the background at Nelson and Murdock that had Trish debating the trial of the Punisher or in Iron Fist discussing the return of the missing Danny Rand. It would have been amazing if they had snuck something like that in DD1, with just an at the time unknown radio personality discussing the Devil of Hells Kitchen and Wilson Fisk, then revealing it as Trish in Jessica Jones(I understand the role hadn't been cast, or probably even written, yet.But it would have been great).

On 23/11/2017 at 1:02 PM, JustaPerson said:

Karen does carry a gun, unlike those other ladies. And she's definitely not afraid to use it. 

I remember when she 

Spoiler

shot Wesley the once and there was a pause and she unloaded in him like, 5 more times to make sure. Or "Do you really think this is the first time I've shot someone?" 

She might not have the fighting skills, but she can handle herself. She is impulsive, but I think one of the things both Castle and Murdock respect about her is that she will always speak what she believes in and she'll fight for stuff. I think that's her key characteristic....that, and bouncy, bouncy hair. 

Karen's whole history, including how Wilson Fisk might be particularly pissed off at her sometime in the future, is probably going to be a discussion and I suspect it's going to be with Frank Castle. I think she can be honest with him in a way she can't be with Foggy or Matt. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I was disappointed when the radio show ended up not being Trish Talk, but it does make some sense, because I doubt Trish would have approached it the way the other guy did.  Still, I'd enjoy it if Trish Talk was overheard at least once in all of the series.

Say what you will if it was reckless, brave, or both, but Karen would be someone who would not flinch over possibly pissing off a terrorist.  Again, it might be impulsive, short-sighted, and dangerous, but it is consistent with her, and I do kind of admire it on some levels.  Of course, she is definitely lucky to have charmed a a blind crimefighter and an unhinged, gun-friendly loner to the point that she will have back-up when the shit goes down!

Frank telling Lewis how Curtis lost his leg was probably Jon Bernthal's best work here yet, which is saying something.  Dude is impressive and a perfect Frank Castle.

Glad to see Dinah's mom again.  Russo continues to be creepy by giving her "advice", even though he's the motherfucker that killed Sam.  But now David has made his approach?  Things are getting interesting!

• Love 6

Add me to the list in assuming it was Trish Talk.  Maybe next time.

I was seriously worried about Curtis.  I shouldn't be surprised that Lewis would recognize Frank, and even idolize him a bit.  He makes an interesting contrast with Frank. I don't know if it's too on the nose in discussing the difference between vigilante and terrorist, but it's a legitimate thing to ask about a character like the Punisher. 

Jon Bernthal sells this.  The kid playing Lewis is pretty good to.

• Love 3
On 11/23/2017 at 0:02 PM, JustaPerson said:

Karen does carry a gun, unlike those other ladies. And she's definitely not afraid to use it. 

Frank's bemused comment about the anti-gun senator "barking up the wrong tree" while he listened to their interview had me chuckling out loud.

• Love 4
On 2017-11-18 at 10:35 PM, Pogojoco said:

I was thinking the same thing about Trish’s show - IIRC she and Karen commiserated in the last episode of Defenders. 

• Love 1

This was probably the best episode yet for me. This show started off slow but has gotten really good. Way better than The Defenders. 

Agree with everyone that the radio shiw should have been Trish Talk, because Trish is awesome. Not having it be her is a missed chance, the kind of thing the marvel movies wouldn't make.

Wow, ALL the episode comments are about how the radio show should have been Trish Talk? If that's not a sign of how bad this show has been, I don't know what is.

Frank is a dummy. At times a blowhard. He wasn't even smart enough to play along with Lewis to save Curtis. His little fit worked only because the writers decided it would. There was no logic to it.

This show has been as disappointing as Iron Fist. 

I think Madani noticed something in Billy's comment about Sam having a gun and being killed by a guy with a knife.

Edited by Ottis

I guess I'm alone in being entirely tired of Karen and her bravado endangering herself and others.  I can't stand her and I've been tired of her since the first Dardevil series.  And frankly, I don't care if the radio show wasn't Trish Talk.  Its New York City; there are more than one radio talk shows in the city.  

For my part I'm going a bit differently.  I've yet to finish Season 2 of Daredevil or even start season One.  So, I really like Karen, especially with Frank.  The bits I've seen of Karen with Daredevil and on The Defenders aren't that great.  With Matt she comes off as kind of a victim.  With Frank she's almost a partner.  While he cares about her and wants to protect her, he also tends to respect her choices in ways that Matt really doesn't.

I did like that Micro referred to Karen as Frank's "girlfriend" and Frank did not disagree. 

Karen's attitude toward Frank is interesting.  She took pains during the radio interview to defend Frank.  I think that while she doesn't necessarily approve of Frank's actions, she gets why he needs to do them and doesn't begrudge him that.  However, she didn't want him to "expand" his war to include Lewis and especially didn't want him to use her as an excuse to do that.

Like others I really hope that Netflix/Marvel get the truly awesome chemistry between Frank and Karen.  I don't want them to try to stuff her into the role of Matt's girlfriend when Daredevil returns.  The chemistry between Matt and Karen is that of a firecracker.  Between Karen and Frank it's a hydrogen bomb.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

Yeah, each episode gets better and better.  And again, Karen so much better here then DD.  Can we keep her here?

I'm still not liking Wilson's descent into madness.  It is the one story line, while relevant to issues of today, I'm just not enjoying that storyline.

Madani is still a snooze to me.  I'm trying to think if Madani noticed Russo's answer about Stein and he might have been in on it... maybe I'm looking too much into her reaction.

• Love 2
On 1/18/2018 at 3:28 PM, VCRTracking said:

Such a serious and intense episode but I got the biggest laugh that Frank was finally caught and it was while doing a "Dukes of Hazard" slide on the hood of a police car!

Only the Duke boys can do the hood slide without serious consequences.

• Love 3