Type keyword(s) to search

Hodges Half Dozen - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

So far I like the couple and their two year old.I only got as far in the episode to see 2 of the  babies come home. What surprised me was the actually showed on national tv how the keep their "budget cash $$" in envelopes. They have a fear of banks?

• Love 1

I cant imagine that they wouldn't qualify for WIC with the babies being as premature as they were, unless that wouldn't pay for the formula.

1 hour ago, sATL said:

So far I like the couple and their two year old.I only got as far in the episode to see 2 of the  babies come home. What surprised me was the actually showed on national tv how the keep their "budget cash $$" in envelopes. They have a fear of banks?

That is a common way for people to control how much they spent on certain things, I know people who do it and it really helps to budget.

• Love 3

As a mom to three boys (a high schooler, a middle schooler, and a two-year-old), I keep wondering what it would be like to have several newborns right now. Even just twins would be overwhelming at the moment! A two-year-old is a lot to deal with all by themselves. 

Liz and Daniel seem like really caring parents and I’m liking this show. 

I started panicking for them when they brought the first two babies home because that’s when the never ending feedings and diaper changings begin. And I’d imagine it’d feel like an assembly line after a while.

“You” time would pretty much be a thing of the past, especially after all five are at home. And sleep - forget about it! Even with help from their parents, it’d still be a monumental task to care for all those babies and a toddler. My hat’s off to them!

Edited by amcfar
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, keetmommy said:

I cant secretine that they wouldn't qualify f or WIC with the babies being as premature as they were, unless that wouldn't pay for the formula.

That is a common way for people to control how much they spent on certain things, I know people who do it and it really helps to budget.

True. I guess I would have kept that a Secret from the cameRas. Having large sums of cash in house  and on hand makes me nervous.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, keetmommy said:

I cant imagine that they wouldn't qualify for WIC with the babies being as premature as they were, unless that wouldn't pay for the formula.

I’m guessing it’s a very specialized kind of formula. Probably not something you can pick up at the local grocery store or Walmart. WIC most likely wouldn’t cover that. 

I’d imagine that the babies were probably able to switch to a different formula within a few months of being at home. Hopefully they were able to switch to a kind that is covered by some sort of program/insurance. A thousand dollars a month on formula would be brutal! 

• Love 1

My now 16 year old was on a special formula (Nutramigen) and back in 2001-2002, it was close to $20 a can where the others at the time were about $6-$8 a can (powder).  It about broke us, but he had a protein allergy and severe reflux.  

They seem like a nice family and I think Rowan is the most adorable kid.  What a doll.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, sATL said:

I've DVR'd the show but have not fully watched it. What I have seen, I like. All of the kids are adorable.

As far as keeping money on envelopes: I wish they had not shown or disclosed that on camera. But, I believe there's a finance guy who teaches to put money in envelopes to help rid debt. I've heard him on the radio but can't think of his name

• Love 1
1 hour ago, alegtostandon said:

I've DVR'd the show but have not fully watched it. What I have seen, I like. All of the kids are adorable.

As far as keeping money on envelopes: I wish they had not shown or disclosed that on camera. But, I believe there's a finance guy who teaches to put money in envelopes to help rid debt. I've heard him on the radio but can't think of his name

Dave Ramsey.  I know quite a few people that have followed him, and for the most part, they say his 'envelope plan' works.  Like previously mentioned, I do wish they hadn't shown that.  I would imagine the family is fairly easy to find in their community, and having large amounts of cash on hand may not be safe.  So far, I like the family.  The mom reminds me of Anna Duggar for some reason though.  Well, a normal version of Anna at least.  Rowan is a handful, but he's adorable.  Two thumbs up for Tyson as well ;) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

Dave Ramsey.  I know quite a few people that have followed him, and for the most part, they say his 'envelope plan' works.  Like previously mentioned, I do wish they hadn't shown that.  I would imagine the family is fairly easy to find in their community, and having large amounts of cash on hand may not be safe.  So far, I like the family.  The mom reminds me of Anna Duggar for some reason though.  Well, a normal version of Anna at least.  Rowan is a handful, but he's adorable.  Two thumbs up for Tyson as well ;) 

Thank you,  Sixlets..I've listened to Dave Ramsey but went blank.

6 hours ago, sixlets said:

Two thumbs up for Tyson as well ;) 

oh.. forgot about Tyson... it is his breed or age that is makes him so calm around chaos? I would think with a 2yr old most dogs would head for the nearest place of quiet... or start acting out.

• Love 2

Cheers to TLC for finding another nice family. I don't blame them for trading privacy for several hundred thousand dollars. They surely need income. I had premie twins years ago so I am relating to them. The NICU is such an anxious place but you feel your tiny babies are so safe and protected there, then you bring them home and it's frightening.  I think the parents have a genuinely good r'ship.  I am so rooting for this fam.  Hope online communities don't get busy tearing them up.  

• Love 1

I am so excited to find this board, and we too love this family.   My heart broke for her over the formula, but I really thought she was referring to WIC, when she said something about that other program not covering the formula.  They did decide to pay over a few months on the formula issue, so this did leave the door opened for a future change.  I do hope and pray they stay a strong couple, and fall down the reality show divorce hill.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, sATL said:

oh.. forgot about Tyson... it is his breed or age that is makes him so calm around chaos? I would think with a 2yr old most dogs would head for the nearest place of quiet... or start acting out.

Boxers are awesome. They are a loyal and affectionate breed. They are funny and great with kids. I hope we get to see a lot of Tyson.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, amcfar said:

I’m guessing it’s a very specialized kind of formula. Probably not something you can pick up at the local grocery store or Walmart. WIC most likely wouldn’t cover that. 

I’d imagine that the babies were probably able to switch to a different formula within a few months of being at home. Hopefully they were able to switch to a kind that is covered by some sort of program/insurance. A thousand dollars a month on formula would be brutal! 

Some formulas are prescription only.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:17 AM, ChristmasJones said:

I am finding myself amazed that this dad in is medical school while going from being a dad to one to a dad of six.  I can't imagine it.

And medical school so expensive, and she doesn't work?  I don't know where they get their money from.  Hence, a reality tv show!

On 11/17/2017 at 2:50 PM, MV713 said:

Some formulas are prescription only.

And medical school so expensive, and she doesn't work?  I don't know where they get their money from.  Hence, a reality tv show!

since he is a veteran ( link ) - maybe his  GI bill or another military scholarship pgm (example) that helps toward medical school. plus she probably worked until she was put on bed rest. they signed a contract  to build a nice looking house, before getting pregnant, so $$ is flowing in from somewhere..

Edited by sATL

I know I will most likely be in the minority here, but while I think Rowan is an adorable child, I think he needs more discipline. I know there is an adjustment and he will lose some of his parents attention, but it seemed to me his was being rewarded for some of his behavior. He jumped on the bed so he got to go to that playroom, the minute mom left the room he went straight for that feed tube. What happens when all 5 are home and dad is at school? Mom will not be able to take him places so he will have to hear the word no.

• Love 4

Oh Dear, I think I have hit my limit. I was watching my taped Hodges shows when I found myself becoming very annoyed. Don't get me wrong - lovely couple, they'll make good parents. I am so annoyed with TLC. I was there during the Jon & Kate, now Busbys, and Hodges and I am talking back to the television. It's the same talking head discussions - What are we going to do? Crying over the cost. Bringing in reinforcements. Praising any donations. Are you serious?! I think it's wonderful that we can medically have babies now whereas in the past we may have not been blessed. BUT, do not save and spend your savings on IVF and then complain that you need help to care for all the babies you received. If I were to do IVF, I would save every penny, preplan, and try my best to prepare for the worst. That's when I realized that TLC is responsible for my annoyance. I can't watch these shows anymore. I watched some Housewife of OC show, where all the women are having IVF. Is no one having sex anymore? I feel manipulated and I don't like it. Peace out everyone :)

• Love 5

I for some reason feel like they may not be as lucky as the Busby's and Jon and Kate, thinking more of their  babys many have some long effects of being micro premies, hopefully Im wrong, just thinking that as I watch them

These shows that glorify people who have IVF then have a bunch of kids drive me nuts. I think most do the shows because they find they can't afford to support their now huge family. "Hey, we have 4, 5, 6 babies at once, lets just get a tv show and get people to donate stuff to us!". I find myself yelling at the tv when the parents complain about how hard it is, or how expensive it is, "THEN WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE SO MANY KIDS!?"

There is a local family that had quadruplets - they are now about 8 years old I think. The parents went through IVF because they "just had to have children", mom "longed for a baby". They had 4. Mom committed suicide about 2 years ago. So now they are having a fundraiser to help fund their education. Private school education, and future college. I have a problem with that. They can't afford to send the kids to private school? Send them to public. College? Maybe some of them won't want to go, or aren't cut out for college. Or a college may give them a free ride scholarship just for the notoriety of having a set of quadruplets. Dad could be putting away some of the Social Security they get. 

Don't have so many kids if you can't support them on your own. Don't expect society to fund your kids' lives. 

• Love 12

Honestly I don't like mom right now.I hope it's just the stress of it all but she is so controlling just like Kate.I mean hubby is about to be a doctor let him handle the not breathing baby.Stop talking to Rowan like he is the same age as the babies. It's more medical science than miracle.

7 hours ago, Gyproselee said:

Honestly I don't like mom right now.I hope it's just the stress of it all but she is so controlling just like Kate.I mean hubby is about to be a doctor let him handle the not breathing baby.Stop talking to Rowan like he is the same age as the babies. It's more medical science than miracle.

I'll cut her some slack on this incident. I'd hate if I was being recorded when I was freaking out because my baby stopped breathing and was turning blue. "Instead of yelling "STIMULATE HIM!!!!!" I'm sure much more profane words would probably come out of my mouth.

Besides which, she's a nurse and knows what she's doing :)

(I have a potty mouth when I'm stressed...which is why is why I'd never go on a reality show in the first place. :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 6

I usually avoid shows with multiple babies - a lot of crying and angst from the babies and parents, however, this show was a refreshing change. The parents are very sweet, and have a realistic but positive attitude about all the work ahead of them. The show was was a welcome  alternative to the centre of the universe sense of entitlement of the teens and 'Glam-mas' on Unexpected.

• Love 1

It's a bonus that these parents work in the medical field.  They know what to do when the one baby stopped breathing and they didn't panic.  

I did laugh with the mom said that they weren't going to be seeking attention -- on her reality TV show.

• Love 4
On 11/22/2017 at 0:07 AM, Chalby said:

Oh Dear, I think I have hit my limit. I was watching my taped Hodges shows when I found myself becoming very annoyed. Don't get me wrong - lovely couple, they'll make good parents. I am so annoyed with TLC. I was there during the Jon & Kate, now Busbys, and Hodges and I am talking back to the television. It's the same talking head discussions - What are we going to do? Crying over the cost. Bringing in reinforcements. Praising any donations. Are you serious?! I think it's wonderful that we can medically have babies now whereas in the past we may have not been blessed. BUT, do not save and spend your savings on IVF and then complain that you need help to care for all the babies you received. If I were to do IVF, I would save every penny, preplan, and try my best to prepare for the worst. That's when I realized that TLC is responsible for my annoyance. I can't watch these shows anymore. I watched some Housewife of OC show, where all the women are having IVF. Is no one having sex anymore? I feel manipulated and I don't like it. Peace out everyone :)

I have to agree with you...I've kind of hit my limit, too. They do seem like a nice family, but all I could do was be snarky. -Drink every time they say "And now we have 5 babies!"  

-The stress of having matching outfits for a Pinterest photo shoot.  Why were they shopping at a boutique like store and expecting there to be 4 outfits of the same size? And then stressing when there weren't? If you're on a budget, head to Target or Walmart.  

- The Busbys already did the surprise backyard play set.  I guess TLC has run out of story ideas.  

Again, they seem like a nice family, but the story lines are the same as the other shows.  I don't think I'll continue to watch.

• Love 4

The Mom* kept talking about how supportive her friends were. When her friend came over for a visit the Mom was telling her about how little sleep she got and the friend said how she really wanted to support them. I thought for sure she would organize the other women in their group to come over and help with the babies. But no, she and another friend surprised the Mom with the manicure, probably paid for by TLC. That was nice and all, but you'd think the friends could actually pitch in and maybe feed a baby so the Mom could get some sleep.  I'm surprised how little help they seem to be getting from anyone other than the two grandmothers.

*I still don't know what the Mom and Dad's name are.

• Love 1

Maybe I was just tired yesterday and on another TLC show post/thread we had a lengthly discussion about what kiddies should or could be doing educationally at a certain age- I was overjoyed to hear their two year old count to 5.

The clothes shopping turned me off.what store has 4 of a kind?I can't honestly say my Wal-Mart/Target will consistanly have 4. I am happy to find one of a kind. That is what online is for.Not to mention if the mom is always going to stress herself by trying to find a coordinating girl outfit-she is in for a lifetime of aggravation. I would have put the babies in a onesie -which would be easy to buy bulk & cordorinate and snapped the picture. 

• Love 1

Names : Daniel and Liz

someone please refresh my memory, as I know I broke the "recommended guideline as stated by some pediatric council"  - but when are babies supposed to sleep longer in b/w meals, working you way up to sleeping during the night? I don't remember for long feeding every 3 hrs.  I started slipping that rice-cereal mixture during the last "dinner-time" feed. I went back to work after 12 weeks, so I had to cut down the duration of the middle of the night "bar".

I didn't care for the artwork the photographer did - why not the whole animal? A one eyed animal is kinda creepy.

The medical-wives support group heart was in the right place - they just came up with a bad idea. I wonder how many of them are moms. Liz needs sleep and food, not to be all glammed up. The least they could have done was brought by pre-made meals, grocery, diapers, wipes and started a load of clothes before sitting in a nail bus.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

This is a minor pet peeve, but this family didn’t do IVF. IVF is where you take medication to encourage a lot of follicles to mature and then they’re retrieved by a doctor, fertilized in a lap, and transferred directly to your uterus once they’ve matured a few days into embryos. The only TLC family of multiples I know of that did IVF was the Gardner’s on Rattled. All of the others did IUI, where you take a much lower dose of medication to try to get a few follicles and then sperm is washed out of a sample and inseminated into you, which is a) much less expensive and b) more likely to result in multiples. 

Actually I’m surprised their doctor would go ahead with so many follicles - multiples is really not what a doctor is looking for. 

Anyway, on topic, I want to like this show but I find the parents to be uncomfortable on camera and so they seem very fake. I also get very annoyed at all the complaining about how expensive everything is, because having quintuplets is, to me, a very selfish decision - the risks of long term health effects in babies that premature doesn’t seem worth it! So they probably should have factored the cost in before they got all googly eyed at the thought of having so many. 

• Love 5

Ok, I never wanted to have children of my own but I have 23 nieces and nephews and it feels great to me.I get perks of being a grandmother of them for happy play, but get to give theme  if fussy or need changing. With.all this changing cloths, why don't they use that sack dress.  Im from waist up it has snaps or buttons but bottom is a pulls trying helping with changing diapers and cuts time in half.

And don't go to boutique for clothes, they are expensive. Her best bet for finding 4 of a kind in same size is kmart or walmart or taeget. Even better I consignment shop like once upon a child or even flea markets they won't match. But you don't have to match them same each day when they are just staying in  around the house. Our family has 5 babies ( I twin set and 3 from other moms) The consignment shops were great. They would only be around 50 cent$ to $ EACH and they grow out of them so fast. O e of our nework mom's would complain if one to them would have small stain on it, but she got over that real quick when she saw how messy her baby made it she learned real quick to accept they hand me downs.

• Love 1

I find these multiple shows interesting because in my area it just doesn’t happen due to how fertility treatment is done where it IUI doesn’t go ahead if there are over 2 follicles and IVF is typically two embryos inserted. I don’t really understand how in the US the doctors let this happen because there are lots of sets of 4/5 babies.

I think when they were saying they wished they had all boys it was because all the same seems to be less common so there would be more freebies and they would be more”special”.

On 11/30/2017 at 2:24 PM, Poohbear617 said:

And don't go to boutique for clothes, they are expensive. 

I've seen this discussed on several forums as it seems on most of these shows, they always go to boutiques.  I think the census was it's easier to film shopping scenes (you need permission to film on property and permission from everyone who might appear on camera) in a small, privately owned boutique than at a mass retailers.  

I enjoyed the show and think Rowan is a little ball of adorableness.  

• Love 2

Weird observation the mother is in the medical field, Kate Gosselin was a nurse and I'm pretty sure there was another mom in a reality show that struggled with infertility who was a nurse.In my crazy mind I wonder if their brains knew subconsciously they would struggle with fertility and it led them to such a nurturing field? 

little disappointed for a season finale.. For once I would like to see TLC families solve little problems as opposed to dramatizing ...

1) Is there no one in that big subdivision, church, other pre-school parents and/or the medical wives,  that can swing by on their way to/from work and take Rowan to/from pre-school?

2) yes, seeing KK leave as she is still working her job was sad. But you knew  from day one the she was going to leave on x-date and the woman probably had spend all of personal leave time with you. Now if something happens to her or her hubby, she is out of personal time. There isn't a aunt (ie sister /SIL to the grandmothers/grandfathers) you can get to fill in ?  I suspect if you keep shaking the family tree, you might find someone for a couple of weeks and it would be a bonus if they were retired. These families really need to cast a wider net when it comes to help.

3) why add stress and dress the babies in costumes? Not to mention the money. Don't tell me how stressed and tired your are and you insist on celebrating every holiday as if they are going to remember.

to be honest, I can wait a full year+ for this show to reappear  - mainly for (a) the dad to finish medical school, (b)for the wife to ditch the black shorts and get her hormones in check - ie stop the weepies and (c) to get through some of the medical issues/appts - off camera. just film a first look summary late in 2018.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who was bugged by having to find a "girl" costume for Teagan?  They were going with a "professions" theme, and there's no reason she can't be a doctor, firefighter, etc.  No, she had to be a ballerina.  Maybe if I only had one girl with all those boys I'd do the same, but it made me worry that she is going to be stereotyped.  I know that she may end up being the girliest girl ever, but I hope she gets the chance to be a tomboy if she wants.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don’t know how I missed this but one of the Hodges quints passed away in early February. Connell was born without a spleen which made him susceptible to getting sick and he got meningitis. He was the one who was their little fighter. Sad. 

Obituary

Edited by ShaNaeNae