Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef Showdown: Iron Chef Meets Beat Bobby Flay

Not sure yet how I feel about the head-to-head in the beginning to pick the chef to face the Iron Chef. You knew that Bobby was going to win. Bobby cooks the same style dish everytime. There is a tamale of some sort plus his red and green hot sauces, plus a tortilla. He just varies the protein. He is so predictable that it is boring to watch him. I do like watching Simon. He always looks like he is enjoying himself.  I wish they had let Stephanie do the first challenge. JKusy happy that the show is back!!!!!!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Too much Alton.   He's fine in his normal role, but I don't need him at the table eating and continuing to snark.  

Agreed.  It's pretty obvious that he sees himself as the star of the show.  Also, he looks awful (and much older) with his head shaved,.  I can hardly stand to look at him.  

I don't mind the new girl reporter but I'd much rather have Kevin.  I'm just happy that they brought back the "Chairman."  ICA wouldn't seem right to me without him.  He should be sitting at the table during judging, not Alton.

Overall, I'm glad this show is back and I enjoyed all three related shows last night.  

• Love 2

I didn't like the new format.  Alton has too much power.  You knew which chef was going to the showdown the minute he criticized Chef Autry's halibut.

I wish they'd just go back to the old style of Iron Chef episodes.  It was a perfectly good format - why mess with it?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Agreed.  It's pretty obvious that he sees himself as the star of the show.  Also, he looks awful (and much older) with his head shaved,.  I can hardly stand to look at him.  

I don't mind the new girl reporter but I'd much rather have Kevin.  I'm just happy that they brought back the "Chairman."  ICA wouldn't seem right to me without him.  He should be sitting at the table during judging, not Alton.

Overall, I'm glad this show is back and I enjoyed all three related shows last night.  

I'm wondering about the Chairman.  The way they've shot this....it looks like Holo-Deck Chairman to me, or CGI Chairman, if you will.  I don't believe he's actually on the set, I think they just splice him in from a studio somewhere else. 

I REALLY detest the "first dish in 20 minutes", and am sorry it has made its way back into IC.  To me, it just cuts up the whole zen of making five dishes, and is an unwanted interruption.

Two judges?  Not right.  I like Antonia Lofaso, but really? 

I did enjoy the "Behind Iron Chef" pre-show.  Kind of interesting, and Bobby Flay making breakfast with his gigantic Maine C*** Cat, Taco, on his shoulder, was pretty funny. 

Also really looking forward to seeing more Marc Forgione.  I never cared too much for him before, but after re-watching his episode as a judge on Gauntlet, I thought he was very insightful, had excellent critiques of the chef's dishes, and was both kind and constructive in his evaluations.  Nice guy.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

I'm wondering about the Chairman.  The way they've shot this....it looks like Holo-Deck Chairman to me, or CGI Chairman, if you will.  I don't believe he's actually on the set, I think they just splice him in from a studio somewhere else. 

Hmmmm.  That would explain why he's not at the table.  Why do you think that?  I don't know how to tell.

I was going to say the same thing about judges.  I like Antonia too but there should be three on every competition so there's a "tie breaker."  I also liked Marc Forgione.

Bobby's gorgeous cat is named Nacho, not Taco.  :)  

• Love 1

This show is very different from Iron Chef Gauntlet. There was this feeling that Bobby was going to win, and he did. I knew it when he won.

The suspense of the judging distracted me from Alton's shaved haircut. Did he actually shave his hair?

I love Jaymee Sire, but not here. It seems like Alton is being very bossy and telling her what to do, causing this show to be more of a news show.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2017 at 11:12 PM, mlp said:

ITA, plus the way the light above him shined on his bald head was distracting.  Then he goes and pairs it with those glasses.  Ugh.  Some men just can't do the shaved head look.  I just got through watching him on "Chopped - Alton's Challenge" where he looked normal and like himself and then this.  How far apart could they have been filmed?

And yes to him being annoying and know-it-all-ish as a judge.  I'm thinking he has to be the tie breaker.  It seems to be all about him.  And I love him, just not when he's improperly utilized.  Hopefully I'll like him better on his reboot of "Good Eats".

• Love 2
On 11/14/2017 at 1:15 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Hopefully I'll like him better on his reboot of "Good Eats".

Didn't know that was coming!  Well, at least on Good Eats he wasn't trying to be the culinary Andy Rooney.   And on ICA he did a great job as commentator, but when he's judge, jury and executioner, loaded up with snark, not so much.

On 11/10/2017 at 0:02 AM, SophiaD said:

I wish they'd just go back to the old style of Iron Chef episodes.  It was a perfectly good format - why mess with it?

Until they added too damn many ICs, and started tweaking with the basic format, like adding a mid-battle task, as they apparently thought interest was waning.  Simplicity is always best. 

• Love 4

I'm watching the next episode and I still strongly dislike it.  Too much Alton, catty chefs griping about each other, too much fake drama and weird lighting.  Also, the Chairman is even more campy than usual.  I think I'm probably done.

12 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Didn't know that was coming!  Well, at least on Good Eats he wasn't trying to be the culinary Andy Rooney.   And on ICA he did a great job as commentator, but when he's judge, jury and executioner, loaded up with snark, not so much.

Until they added too damn many ICs, and started tweaking with the basic format, like adding a mid-battle task, as they apparently thought interest was waning.  Simplicity is always best. 

If you watched last nights Behind The Battle Alton touched on two things they added. The first dish was thought to be mean so it was perfect why the cart of chaos failed and was retired.

• Love 1

Another thing -- FN shows previews all week of this show, including which Iron Chef the winner of the showdown will battle, and it's also included in the on-screen description of the episode.  Some surprise.  Way to spoil, Food Network.  But then again, they're famous for doing this sort of stuff.  They spoiled the outcome of a bunch of other competition shows.

• Love 6
On 11/14/2017 at 1:15 AM, Snarklepuss said:

ITA, plus the way the light above him shined on his bald head was distracting.  Then he goes and pairs it with those glasses.  Ugh.  Some men just can't do the shaved head look.  I just got through watching him on "Chopped - Alton's Challenge" where he looked normal and like himself and then this.  How far apart could they have been filmed?

And yes to him being annoying and know-it-all-ish as a judge.  I'm thinking he has to be the tie breaker.  It seems to be all about him.  And I love him, just not when he's improperly utilized.  Hopefully I'll like him better on his reboot of "Good Eats".

Do you happen to know when the reboot of GE airs?

I love Alton, any old way he cares to wear his hair.  I always thought he was underutilized on FN after Good Eats went out of production, so I'm fine with him as the Big Man on Campus on this new iteration of Iron Chef.  I despise the challenge shows, so never watched one episode of Sabotage, or whatever that was.  Ew. 

I'm still kicking myself for not getting tickets to his live show early this year. 

This episode was okay, I'm glad they've dispensed with the stupid Chairman's Challenge, but I truly wish they'd dump that first dish at 20 minutes.  It adds nothing, and with the two competitor challenge before meeting an Iron Chef, time is at a premium.

Finally, what's up with these judges?  Not impressed so far.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Do you happen to know when the reboot of GE airs?

No definite date's been released except that it will air on FN sometime in 2018 and is supposed to be called "Return of the Eats".  I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

https://www.eater.com/2017/9/5/16254758/alton-brown-return-of-the-eats-food-network

I love the kooky video where he goes into what looks like a basement full of his old props from the show.  I remember every one of them!

• Love 1

Some of the contenders will win. The winning percentages of the Iron Chefs ranged from 50% for the low end ones like Garces and Forgione to around 90% for Symon, last I checked.

I saw the first episode. Same old, same old really. So however that strikes you, there it is. Just a few more bells and whistles. Alton was meaner to the cheftestants than Tom Colicchio.  If I were rocking a Michelin star, I'd be saying who the F are you, bub?

No more celebrity judges, it seems. Imagine random actor or sportscaster being served brains! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

No more celebrity judges, it seems.

Part of what made ICA believable and respectable was that they had a panel of three, not two, judges most of whom were authorities in some way.  Movie stars and so on were balanced by people who knew what they were talking about.  I'm willing to put up with Alton's arrogance if the rest of the show seems serious but, if they start bringing in "foodies" to sit in judgment on professional chefs, I'm out.

They have had "foodies" sit in judgment from the start of ICA. People who aren't chefs but who wrote a cookbook or food memoir or something or other. They've also had celebs with no particular ties to food, which was the same as in ICJ.  I still remember a Sopranos actor who didn't eat raw fish judging a Morimoto battle. Sportscasters Boomer and Carton (the latter of whom is going to jail for fraud, but that's another story). And they've had food professionals as well. In ICJ the enthusiastic amateur judge was part of the charm. In ICA it somehow lost the charm and caused aggravation, although sometimes an enthusiastic amateur judge could still bring charm.

I dunno. I could live with a judge from any of these segments as long as they brought enthusiasm and a willingness to try and fairly consider what the chefs were dishing out. Give me rapper Bonecrusher before bringing back Jeffrey Steingarten, if you ask me. And if they could stop being so impressed with another fucking tamale with colorful sauce, that'd be awesome as well.

• Love 1

They have had "foodies" sit in judgment from the start of ICA.

I know but they were usually balanced by a chef or food authority.   Jeffrey Steingarten wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy but he knew what he was talking about.  (His books are great reads.)  So do people like Ted Allen who isn't a chef but has expertise.  Maybe it's just me but I hate it when they have TV stars and sports people on Chopped judging working chefs.  I could do the same thing but it wouldn't make me an authority.  

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 0:07 AM, meowmommy said:

Didn't know that was coming!  Well, at least on Good Eats he wasn't trying to be the culinary Andy Rooney.   And on ICA he did a great job as commentator, but when he's judge, jury and executioner, loaded up with snark, not so much.

Alton did a panel at Dragon Con in Atlanta, over the first weekend in September (which I think was also Labor Day Weekend), where he made the announcement & had everybody there (with equipment, of course) videotape it & spread it around YouTube, social media platforms, etc. Here it is. I think this is the longest available clip. It starts after he's told everyone to get ready to tape an announcement he's gonna make, then goes into the announcement, then he rags on Guy Fieri & Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives by saying Food Network may have to cut that show down from 8 hours a week to 7 1/2, so they can show Alton's new 1. So you have basically all the important stuff in the linked clip.

• Love 2

Goddamn Michael Symon is good. That course was an all timer. Every course not only looked great but had whimsy, thought, and creativity. Challenging form, using all aspects of the theme ingredient. That's what five points of creativity should look like.

It occurred to me that the two chefs' Showdown segments are probably all filmed separately beforehand. Just Alton and the competitors. They probably come back the next day or later that day to film with the judges and Chairman.

Top Chef winner Kristen Kish one of the challengers next time! I certainly hope she gets to the full battle.

• Love 4

I miss the old format.  I feel like the show is limiting the competition when they make them do a silly one on one battle first.  I could see chefs out there would find it an honor to go up against Flay, Symon or any other ICA but to potentially lose to some random first?  I don't think so.

I am surprised by how much I've enjoyed each "Behind the Thanksgiving Battle" episode that has aired.  Some really cool tidbits.  The one thing I could do without is the way Alton tries to bury Flay and Symon even though I think it's pretty common knowledge that they have perfect records in Thanksgiving battles.  Why the suspense?  Why the unnecessary shade? 

• Love 2

Alton as a judge is what's bothering me the most.  There shouldn't be one judge for any aspect of this or any competition, IMO, and he doesn't come off that well doing it either, and I love him generally.  He seems unnecessarily snarky at times.  And I agree that the judges should all be food authorities in one way or another, not just stars with unknown food authority.  It's especially hard for me to swallow with only two judges if one is a star with unknown food authority.  It was better when they had two food authorities to out-vote them.  But as much as I hate conspiracy theories, I think there could be a "secret" vote going on with Alton in this and his input is averaged into the scores put on the screen or at least secretly factored in when there's a tie or he doesn't agree at all with the outcome.

• Love 4
On 11/18/2017 at 1:48 PM, JunebugTx said:

So basically this show is Beat Bobby Flay without the commentators on the initial contest and with Iron Chefs instead of just Bobby.  Not sure I like Alton sitting at the table instead of the Chairman.  

Yes, it feels very much like BBF, except twice as long and BBF itself feels about 27 minutes too long anyway.  I'd rather the Chairman sat at the table as well; I'm just glad they brought Mark Dacascos back, cheesy as his role is.  It's part of the silliness of IC that needs to persist.  I also miss the challenger being able to pick their IC; although I've heard that's mostly a conceit and that the ICs were always pre-selected.  And they need to bring back the studio audience.  The new floor reporter is insipid.  I never thought I would miss Kevin but I do.

If FN wasn't afraid finally to admit that Stephanie won TC, they shouldn't be afraid to admit that Kristen won TC as well.  Instead, they just said she was experienced in culinary competition.  The old ICA did a little bio clip of the challenger in their home environment, but for all we can tell now, the challengers just fall out of the sky. 

Is Morimoto part of the new ICA?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

There are several Iron Chef shows.

Just watched Kish/Garses compete but I don't see a thread for regular IC.  

Damn, unwanted to talk about it!  Ah well. 

You talking about the 10PM airing? That was a rerun and really broke up the nice flow they have with behind the battle after ICS. I guess the BTB ratings stunk...

19 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

You talking about the 10PM airing? That was a rerun and really broke up the nice flow they have with behind the battle after ICS. I guess the BTB ratings stunk...

Ah ha. I don't know when it aired, it was on my DVR.  

I liked Chef Kish a lot and was disappointed that she didn't win.  So far, I think it's 0-3 for the competitors.  If IC Izard is the first one to lose to a competitor next week, I'm going to be annoyed.   Then again, I'm annoyed already, what with this new format, no Chairman, and so on.  It just seems really choppy, too long, too derivative, and, as I've said already, too much Alton.  I should just probably stop watching, but I keep hoping it will get better.

I wonder if they film the sequences separately, so that the sous-chefs have time to get there?

• Love 2
On 11/24/2017 at 9:43 AM, nitrofishblue said:

Gosh, will a challenger ever win? I watched the Garcis episode and was totally underwhelmed. I felt that Chef Kish did a better job. Garcis has never impressed me and I find him BORING!!!!!!!

Yeah, Chef Garces is like watching paint dry. I wanted Chef Kish to win, too, and thought her food looked better.

• Love 1

I'm of just the opposite opinion.  I like and respect Jose Garces for his reputation for being an excellent chef, a good businessman and a thoroughly decent human being.  I didn't like Kristin Kish when she was on Top Chef and still don't.  I find her far more boring than Jose.

• Love 3

I've only watched the first episode so far but I can already tell I will be tired of Alton.  I thought he was tolerable on the "Next Iron Chef" iterations but I'm not sure what it is with him here.  He just seems so very pleased with himself.  When in actuality, he's not as witty or wry as he thinks... that joke about needing lots of bourbon in the sweet potato soufflé when his relatives come over completely fell flat.

I don't care for the new girl either.  She seems like she is trying too hard.  Why couldn't they keep Kevin Brausch?

• Love 1

On the other hand, I do not want to have the three male Iron Chefs cruise to easy wins and then have a female IC lose. The show is not serialized in any way, so they could have arranged episode orders however they wanted. 

• Love 1

I thought Stephanie Izard vs. Leah Cohen was the worst episode of ICA ever.  Neither side of the competition had any energy and the plating was just terrible.  I didn't want to try a single dish.  I do think Stephanie edged out Leah but they were both disappointing.  

I am sick of Alton.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

None of Leah's food looked at all appetizing. At least Stephanie seemed to put some thought into her dishes and they didn't look like something vomited up by a dog.

Wow.  I think I'm glad I missed it.  I like Stephanie and am glad to hear that she didn't lose.  But, I agree, if it's just "Iron Chefs destroy the competition," it's going to be a very boring series.  I really miss the Chairman and Kevin.

• Love 1