Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

It was Alexandria's fiancé family member who was sick, so she may have quit to be with him and his family. I see nothing wrong with it. Tayrn was at the bottom of the TC list, so she barely made it into TC. Brooke and Kandi made the team on their dance skills and willing to work on losing the weight. I do remember the both of them being called out by Kelli at least once for their skills. They were both better TC candidates than Tayrn and Brennan their rookie years even with the weight loss issue. A girl can kill it at finals, but it does not mean she is DCC quality. A girl can have a so-so final routine, but she can dance the DCC style if she makes it into TC. A girl can have a stand out finals routine, but she may struggle with the DCC dance style. And just because Kelli said a girl killed it at finals does not mean she is DCC dance ready. Finals is completely different from TC and dancing on the field. Plus the fact if a girl struggles with stress during TC how well she do once she is on the field at a home football game in front of thousands plus fans. Once again, a big difference between practicing in front of Kelli and Judy and actually performing in front of a stadium full of people and other major distractions that were not there during TC. Brennan has come back more than once, and her dancing and skills may not have improve well enough to make the squad. Sorry, but the quality of the squad has went downhill since Season 6. Seasons 1 to 5 had strugglers, but the majority of them came back strong after being cut at TC or came back stronger their second year after their rookie year. The last two years there has been a lot more blenders on the squad and weaker TC Candidates. In my opinion, if anyone should be angry, it should be Heather, Allie, and Raylee because in my opinion, they were a lot more talented than a lot of the rookies and yes, Tayrn and Brennan. I still cannot understand the reasoning of why certain girls made TC or the team over them, or why certain vets still made the team.

I feel like you're seeing this in a very one dimensional way.  Therefore, I think it's best if I move on.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I believe it was her fiancé's family member who was sick. She may have left to be with him and his family.

Which IMO kind of goes to the point that she was just ready to go home. I don’t know the exact situation, but it is kind of an understanding when you move half across the country - away from your family friends - that you’re not going to be there for certain things, like babies, sicknesses, birthdays, etc. I’m not trying to be callous by any means, and if she thought that she needed to move back to be with her fiancé, that’s certainly her decision. However, i don’t think it’s typical to quit a job and move like that, not because people don’t care about family, but because most people need a job for finances, or they like their job, or they’re in school, etc. i just don’t think she cared that much about DCC, which I’m not faulting her for.

• Love 1

Or she decided her fiancé and his family were more important. Should she have tried out knowing she was homesick, etc. etc. Maybe/maybe not. Just like girls who tried out more than once. I have noticed Kelli and Judy bringing in girls on the team who have tried out more than once, and then end up being cut the next season at finals. Should they have tried out again for a second or more times with the off chance they could be cut at finals going for their second year. Who knows the reasoning why the girls try out. They have been girls from other countries who have stayed for more than one year, and there have been girls moving across country who stayed for more than once year, or girls who tried out for more than once you stayed for more than one year. I personally do not see the appeal of being a DCC especially with all the rules and expectations you give up your life in order to be the complete DCC on and off the field. This has been an interesting season. Vets being called out for inappropriate behavior during TC, two vets were cut during TC, one vet going for her sixth year almost getting the axe, three vets being cut at finals for no rhyme or reason, one vet going into her second year leaving the squad for school, one rookie leaving for personal reason related to her fiancé's family member health with rumors floating around about the real reason she left, and one rookie leaving because being a DCC cut into her beginning modeling career. In some ways I feel bad for Kelli and Judy because I bet dollars to donuts Charlotte is asking them what the heck is going on here. Will they be a lot more pickier about girls making it into TC and the squad when auditions start up in May because lets face it the whole DCC Organization has taken a major hit the last season.

9 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Something definitely seems rotten in DCC land. You can certainly boil it all down to a lack of commitment or entitlement on the part of the girls (which is Im sure true), but after this many issues in the span of less than a year.....something isn’t right. There seems to be a bigger problem internally.

I disagree, just because if that were the case, you would have more retirees, and not so many veterans seemingly returning to re-audition for next season. Milan is the only departure that raised my eyebrow. Alexandria leaving probably has more to do with her own situation than anything with the team, and Kalyssa was all about promoting Kalyssa from the start. If anything, I think this all is mostly a fluke, but I could be wrong. They just need to do better about vetting people in the future.

• Love 2

We should have a clearer picture on who will tryout out again when swimsuit fittings and swimsuit calendar shoot happens because the girls who go on the shoot usually try out again. I do not think all the 36 girls remaining will tryout out again or all 36 girls will make it back to TC. 28 vets made it back to TC in Season 8, but there was drama with Courtney Cook leaving before TC started, Danielle was almost cut at finals, but she was brought back by Kelli and Charlotte, Chelsea was cut during TC, and Kim, Jennifer and Danielle were almost cut for weight. Of course Season 8 had Morgan and Kaitlyn LeRue. Need I say more.

2 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

We should have a clearer picture on who will tryout out again when swimsuit fittings and swimsuit calendar shoot happens because the girls who go on the shoot usually try out again. I do not think all the 36 girls remaining will tryout out again or all 36 girls will make it back to TC. 28 vets made it back to TC in Season 8, but there was drama with Courtney Cook leaving before TC started, Danielle was almost cut at finals, but she was brought back by Kelli and Charlotte, Chelsea was cut during TC, and Kim, Jennifer and Danielle were almost cut for weight. Of course Season 8 had Morgan and Kaitlyn LeRue. Need I say more.

We are down to 34 because of Milan and Alexandria. 33 because Jenna isn't coming back. 32 if Kalyssa really did quit. And I'm sure several others will decide not to come back

• Love 1

Down to 32 girls. Going to be interesting to see who tries out again, who decides to retire, and who can be cut at finals. Will we see another mass exit like the one after Season 5 when almost half the squad left.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

Down to 32 girls. Going to be interesting to see who tries out again, who decides to retire, and who can be cut at finals. Will we see another mass exit like the one after Season 5 when almost half the squad left.

And what's scary is that the new batch of girls auditioning doesn't look very promising yet... Hopefully we start to see some more exciting videos

• Love 4

I'll try not to judge anyone on why they choose to leave before their contract is up.  I can't say what their "intentions" were when they tried out.  Whether it was a mere stepping stone to something bigger and better, TV exposure, or a "dream" to be DCC.  But I can certainly understand why some would choose not to fulfill their yearlong contracts. 

I've known people over the years that apply for multiple jobs; they accept a job and enter a contract fully expecting to fulfill that contract, then several months later another job that they previously applied for is now offering a position possibly for either more money or better benefits.  How can I blame them for quitting their job and moving to that one? 

I've also known some people that select a job only to obtain a specific "experience" that plumps up their resume on their way to a different job career ladder. 

People have to make their own career decisions and weigh the pros and cons that directly impact their life. 

• Love 2

I know one person who is doing exactly that, or at least attempting to.  She got one position, managed to snag another within the same company and the same department, but within a year is looking for other positions and has been applying for several.  Fortunately, she's not getting them since she seems to be going for the ones that can either make her look better or has better connections (i.e. the people she wants to get close to so that she can snag the bigger, better jobs before others).  However, this is the same company where it's who you know, not what you know, in many cases.  I've seen people who've gotten jobs they shouldn't have merely because they've sucked up to the right people (and one even had a position created specifically for her just in case she didn't get the position she'd applied for) when other, more (and better) qualified, people either didn't have their applications passed on or ignored entirely in the interview process.

In terms of the girls, I'm not saying that life doesn't have other plans, but if you're moving on for an amazing opportunity in terms of a full-time position or school, that's one thing.  Family's another good reason to leave, especially if it's a long-term health issue (but we don't know the true story behind Alexandria's leaving because I'm not sure if her cover story is true; correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone say that it wasn't?).  Modeling?  Nah, to me, not a good enough reason.  To me, Kalyssa doesn't seem "special" enough to have gotten (or lucked into) an amazing contract that required her to walk away from the DCC three months from the end of the season.  If she had, I suspect we would have heard about it by now, most likely from her personal social media.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2

Since we're on the topic of what's going wrong with DCC...

I wonder if a change in culture in general would help a lot. Several people mentioned above how there are so many strict rules, 6am calls for Game Day, scheduling the cheerleaders down to the second, etc. The show emphasizes it as well: you do not talk back, you do not voice any opinion except for "Yes Ma'am", you do not ask questions, you never miss a practice (even if you are ill), etc, etc. It's just so...old school. Maybe that kind of absolute respect and reverence for one's coaches/supervisors was seen as more normal back a few decades ago, but now? It's just...odd. 

I don't see the absolute obedience with olympic gymnasts and their coaches, or swimmers, or any athletes really. Heck, definitely not football players. They all tend to have a very close and respectful working relationship with their coaches, but no athlete becomes great by saying, "Yes Ma'am" and blindly following orders. 

Why don't the the cheerleaders get more of a say in their dancing? Why don't Kelli & Judy ask for input about the routines/the practices/the choreography? I guarantee it would only improve things--the one thing this team could really use is some innovation. You or your child are sick? It's legal and ethical to allow you a day off. You work a real full-time job with real demands like many 18-15 yr olds have to? Ok, let's talk and figure out how to make cheerleading work with your vocational aspirations. Why? Because the confident, well-rounded, well-spoken, educated women we say we are looking for tend to have real responsibilities, real lives, and real jobs, etc. 

It's like they are stuck in a time capsule, forever dancing Thunderstruck, and grinning unquestioningly. Like Kelli & Judy are afraid that if they relax the scheduling a notch or allow even one girl to speak up/ask questions soon they'll all be reciting bad poetry and going rogue a la Vivian or something. It's 2018 for God's sake! Get rid of the "Yes Ma'am-ing" and start treating these women like the adults they are. Maybe a few more would want to stay around. 

• Love 11

I think what we’re seeing is the inevitable downfall of having your team promoted via a television show. No doubt that the show has increased brand awareness for DCC and all the positives that come along with being a household name, but the tradeoff is getting candidates that are more interested in using DCC as a stepping stone and will walk away from DCC the minute something better/lucrative comes along. Wasn’t it mentioned on here somewhere that many ladies shun DCC auditions now because of the show? 

• Love 13

This may be a good year if any cut vets wanted to try to earn those boots back.   I know so many of them have moved on,but there are always some that say they wanted to try for it again.  I’d like to see a more mature  Caila  come back — if she’s kept up her technique.  

I know Brennan had issues with tense faces and movements when she danced, but I think those could have been overcome once the pressure of being cut was lifted and she made the team.  I think she could have been a strong teammate and ambassador.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Acromantula said:

Why don't the the cheerleaders get more of a say in their dancing? Why don't Kelli & Judy ask for input about the routines/the practices/the choreography? I guarantee it would only improve things--the one thing this team could really use is some innovation.

All great points, but I do believe that the upper veterans came up with the changes to Thunderstuck for HOF. Anyone feel free to correct me, but I think I read it on here. 
I hated the feeling that Cersten was rooted to her spot saying "Yes Mam" damn near 5 times when getting that correction for the hall of fame game. I think it would be a lot more worth it in my opinion if they paid the DCC more for -all- the time they put it. It sure feels/looks like a second full-time job to me. And add show group on top of that? Forget it. Between the show, Kash making it seem like they are the only team in the NFL that practices every night, appearances all around texas and the united states... Not to mention have to do more (whatever that can mean) to show them you want to advance in the organization. Give these girls a salary! lol Give them more incentive not to leave on a whim.... or for a 5'3 modeling career. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, tajalexander said:

Give these girls a salary!

From the organization's perspective, why should they?  Everybody knows they barely make enough to buy a latte every day yet they still get hundreds at auditions, some even uprooting their lives to do so.

I do not think more pay is the answer. The girls should know the score before trying out and/or making the team. In my opinion, there are a lot of people out there with tough, demanding jobs and schedules who deserve more pay and better benefits than the DCCs.

Edited by bigskygirl
5 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I think what we’re seeing is the inevitable downfall of having your team promoted via a television show. No doubt that the show has increased brand awareness for DCC and all the positives that come along with being a household name, but the tradeoff is getting candidates that are more interested in using DCC as a stepping stone and will walk away from DCC the minute something better/lucrative comes along. Wasn’t it mentioned on here somewhere that many ladies shun DCC auditions now because of the show? 

i agree.  This is some sort of stepping stone into reality tv for these women.  They will have to take this show off the air in order to get the team they want again.  They all want to be the next Melissa Rycroft which is a sad #goals in my opinion. 

• Love 3

Using Melissa Rycroft as the ultimate formal DCC goal is a sad state of affairs. They have girls who went on to become nurses, doctors, counselors etc. etc., but hey get your extra five minutes of fame by being dumped on a national reality show by a guy you barely know and in love with or go back for a second time and win a reality television show dance contest featuring D celebrity and all hail to her. I personally think Kelli and especially Judy were not thrilled with Melissa becoming a mentor. This has CMT written all over it. Melissa was not shown much last season after the auditions ended. I think the viewers have spoken when they did the survey last season. I mean they have girls like former DCC Melissa who is doing an internship at a local children's hospital working with a medical team to improve the lives of children. She is an All-Star. Why not have her come on the show and talk about having a rewarding career and going to school while being a DCC in order to have a great career helping people. I would rather see something like that instead of having former DCCs like Melissa coming on and pretending she is the great former DCC success because she won a freaking trophy on a reality television show after being dumped by some guy.

Edited by bigskygirl
Melissa not Amy

Melissa's only famous because she got dumped on national television then went on to win DWTS. If she hadn't gotten dumped, her inevitable lack of marriage to Jason Mesnick wouldn't have gone anywhere and she wouldn't have been on DWTS. There wouldn't be news articles about their failure to get to the altar. I think it's sad to strive to be Melissa.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not think more pay is the answer. The girls should know the score before trying out and/or making the team. In my opinion, there are a lot of people out there with tough, demanding jobs and schedules who deserve more pay and better benefits than the DCCs. Now I wait for the rotten tomatoes to be thrown at me.

I 100% agree that there are lots of people out there who should be paid more for the work that they do, but what does that have to do with the DCCs? It’s not like if they got paid more, some secretary out there who works hard and is underpaid couldn’t also get a raise.

I don’t think more money alone is the answer either. HOWEVER, i think the low pay combined with the demanding schedule is a problem. If the schedule is such that these girls are substantially limited in having a real, big girl 8-5 job (I’m not putting dance or fitness instructors btw), then you likely are to get more girls with “just get famous” reality tv aspirations. The team may also get very grounded girls but they probably won’t stay long if they’re serious about their career. 

I also agree with the poster upthread who mentioned that culture may be an issue. Millennials are different, and the “yes mam; how dare you ask any questions; just wear the uniform and do what we say” mentality may not work as well this generation. 

In general, I just think there are a lot of issues all contributing to cause some of the turmoil that we’re seeing - pay, schedule, the show, culture, generational shift, etc. 

• Love 9

There have been girls with regular 8 to 5 jobs and girls who went to college full time while been on the team. If they cannot afford to be on the team and expect to be paid the big bucks then they should not be trying out for the squad. There will be girls with stars in their eyes who think being on the show or making the team will lead to bigger things. I am saying there are people who have much tougher and demanding jobs and schedules who can budget their money in order to provide for themselves and their families without getting a pay raise or have decent benefits. To be honest about I am not be sad over a bunch of girls who shake their cash and prizes not getting more money over people who work hard and try to survive in order to have a roof over their head and food to eat. If they can manage, so can the DCCs. I also seriously doubt more pay would stop girls like Kalyssa from leaving in order to be a model, Vivian having stars in her eyes and drooling over Melissa R., or girls like Jasmine being cut and heading off to be on a reality television show.

I’ll just agree to disagree. I’m not suggesting that’s it impossible for someone to have a good job and be a DCC or be in grad school (i think undergrad would be very doable), just that it’s difficult.  There will always be those special people who can make any circumstance work. Those people should applauded, but I don’t think that’s a standard that really helps address potential issues if it’s not typical.

I think there’s a reason why companies who have the most loyal workforces are those who work with their employees, promote a healthy worklife balance, and listen to concerns. I expect that employers who take the position that ‘Susie worked for pennies and put in a ton of overtime without complaining, so should too, and if you don’t like it, leave” are likely to have a high amount of turnover, especially with the millennial generation.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I’ll just agree to disagree. I’m not suggesting that’s it impossible for someone to have a good job and be a DCC or be in grad school (i think undergrad would be very doable), just that it’s difficult.  There will always be those special people who can make any circumstance work. Those people should applauded, but I don’t think that’s a standard that really helps address potential issues if it’s not typical.

I think there’s a reason why companies who have the most loyal workforces are those who work with their employees, promote a healthy worklife balance, and listen to concerns. I expect that employers who take the position that ‘Susie worked for pennies and put in a ton of overtime without complaining, so should too, and if you don’t like it, leave” are likely to have a high amount of turnover, especially with the millennial generation.

The place where my husband works at has a very high turnover rate with low pay, dealing with a lot of crap, and young lazy workers. Not saying all young people are lazy, but the majority of the ones he works with are.

Now back to DCC Land. Kelli does seem to love the girls who are in college or have careers. I think a part of reason why Selina was safe from being cut was the fact she is a teacher, and the fact three vets were cut at finals and all the drama going on with certain vets during TC. Kelli was drooling in her pantyhose over the fact Selina is a teacher aka having a full time career while being a DCC when she was called into the office for her weight.

I think you have to take in multiple factors -

The show is going to bring in more girls wanting their 5 min of fame. That's the nature of reality shows no matter what show they are. 

The culture IS different than it was back when the show first started. Social media is huge now. Instant gratification and knowing things right off the bat.  When the show first started you never had a girl with thousands of followers like you do now. It was about the team, and if you went to the game or bought the calendars you would have a favorite. 

The fact is this is an entertainment position. They are being chosen for those looks and ability to shake their assets in front of people to hype them up. The fact is in the entertainment industry you will have more of the ones wanting fame. The Dr's, teachers, business women are the exception and not the rule. 

Personally I would like them to focus more on the exceptions - bring back a mentor that is gorgeous, successful in something other than entertainment,  or even bring back a 4,5 or more year vet instead of one that is just on because of another reality show. 

• Love 6

I think another reason why Melissa Rycroft was brought on was the fact she had a contract with CMT since she had her own CMT reality show  bombed after two year. I hope if they do bring back the show for another season they will keep her low key like they did in Season 12. I would love to see All-Star Melissa come in and talk on the show because she was able to finish college and internship at a children's hospital while working with doctors to improve the lives of children. Heck they could use a current DCC who has a full time career or is a full time student talk with the rookies about struggling to keep up with a career or school and be a DCC at the same time instead of using someone who had her extra five minutes of fame while being dumped on national television or winning some reality dance show.

Edited by bigskygirl
2 hours ago, Jess14 said:

I 100% agree that there are lots of people out there who should be paid more for the work that they do, but what does that have to do with the DCCs? It’s not like if they got paid more, some secretary out there who works hard and is underpaid couldn’t also get a raise.

I don’t think more money alone is the answer either. HOWEVER, i think the low pay combined with the demanding schedule is a problem. If the schedule is such that these girls are substantially limited in having a real, big girl 8-5 job (I’m not putting dance or fitness instructors btw), then you likely are to get more girls with “just get famous” reality tv aspirations. The team may also get very grounded girls but they probably won’t stay long if they’re serious about their career. 

I also agree with the poster upthread who mentioned that culture may be an issue. Millennials are different, and the “yes mam; how dare you ask any questions; just wear the uniform and do what we say” mentality may not work as well this generation. 

In general, I just think there are a lot of issues all contributing to cause some of the turmoil that we’re seeing - pay, schedule, the show, culture, generational shift, etc. 

Absolutely this. The cheerleaders should be paid a fair salary for the work they do. Excusing it and saying they should know what they’re getting into when they sign up for it doesn’t make the low wage they get paid acceptable. Being a DCC or a professional cheerleader in general is a demanding and time consuming job and I don’t understand how these organizations continue to get away with this.

That said, I agree that increasing the cheerleaders’ pay won’t solve all of the organization’s problems, but it would certainly help in some situations, and would just generally be the right thing to do.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LadyWithCats said:

Absolutely this. The cheerleaders should be paid a fair salary for the work they do. Excusing it and saying they should know what they’re getting into when they sign up for it doesn’t make the low wage they get paid acceptable. Being a DCC or a professional cheerleader in general is a demanding and time consuming job and I don’t understand how these organizations continue to get away with this.

That said, I agree that increasing the cheerleaders’ pay won’t solve all of the organization’s problems, but it would certainly help in some situations, and would just generally be the right thing to do.

Co-sign. Perhaps if the DCC organization did the right thing in this respect, karma wouldn’t be such a bitch.  Especially in light of the fact that being a DCC is more of a full time job than it is just a hobby or something these girls do for fun. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

There have been girls with regular 8 to 5 jobs and girls who went to college full time while been on the team. If they cannot afford to be on the team and expect to be paid the big bucks then they should not be trying out for the squad. There will be girls with stars in their eyes who think being on the show or making the team will lead to bigger things. I am saying there are people who have much tougher and demanding jobs and schedules who can budget their money in order to provide for themselves and their families without getting a pay raise or have decent benefits. To be honest about I am not be sad over a bunch of girls who shake their cash and prizes not getting more money over people who work hard and try to survive in order to have a roof over their head and food to eat. If they can manage, so can the DCCs. I also seriously doubt more pay would stop girls like Kalyssa from leaving in order to be a model, Vivian having stars in her eyes and drooling over Melissa R., or girls like Jasmine being cut and heading off to be on a reality television show.

I am sorry but I do not think that someone with a full time 9-5 job who is paid an average salary can be equated with being a professional cheerleader. A DCC is paid what, $150 per game now? So, to me, it sounds like you’re saying that if a girl can’t live off her parents and be supported financially by them or unless they can make let’s say 40-45,000 a year to live comfortably, they shouldn’t bother with being a DCC?  Well, hot damn, I hope the Cowboys organization raises the age limit. Because some 30 something’s I know are barely squeaking by on 40,000 a year. Much less some 19 year old who is still in school. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jess14 said:

I don’t think more money alone is the answer either. HOWEVER, i think the low pay combined with the demanding schedule is a problem.

This 100%.  To be a DCC you must be genetically lucky (pretty enough), talented, have at least a few years of training, work hard, and prepare in your off time.  The time commitment must be at least 40 hrs/week, including practices, games, appearances, and time spent staying in shape and honing your dance skills.  This a demanding, full-time job.  The ladies are paid like it's a hobby.  They are an integral part of the stadium experience, but because they are women they are undervalued.

For instance:

Average Salary. NFL mascots' annual pay ranges from$23,000 to $65,000, according to a December 2013 article on TheRichest website, while the "Chicago Tribune" site states that NFL mascots average about $25,000 per year.

NFL cheerleaders had to fight just to get minimum wage!

There must be a pay off for working this hard, not just the glory of donning the DCC uniform.  If someone uses this to promote their brand, more power to them.  

This is a job.  All you owe management is adequate notice.

In reality, Kalyssa did nothing to hurt the team.  The season was over.  All that was left was random appearances, and they have plenty of options available.

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, LMarchBand said:

I am sorry but I do not think that someone with a full time 9-5 job who is paid an average salary can be equated with being a professional cheerleader. A DCC is paid what, $150 per game now? So, to me, it sounds like you’re saying that if a girl can’t live off her parents and be supported financially by them or unless they can make let’s say 40-45,000 a year to live comfortably, they shouldn’t bother with being a DCC?  Well, hot damn, I hope the Cowboys organization raises the age limit. Because some 30 something’s I know are barely squeaking by on 40,000 a year. Much less some 19 year old who is still in school. 

I’m hoping they’ll take my chubby 31-year-old ass. I think I’m finally in a position in life where I can financially afford to be a DCC. Now I just need to learn to dance.

Just kidding, I don’t have time for that. I already have a full-time job and can barely get a day off, let alone attend practices and games for an organization that barely pays. It seriously baffles me that being a DCC isn’t labeled as a full-time job and paid accordingly considering all the practice, game, and appearance hours they put in.

Edited by LadyWithCats
  • Love 3

There have been girls with regular 8 to 5 jobs and girls who went to college full time while been on the team. If they cannot afford to be on the team and expect to be paid the big bucks then they should not be trying out for the squad. There will be girls with stars in their eyes who think being on the show or making the team will lead to bigger things. I am saying there are people who have much tougher and demanding jobs and schedules who can budget their money in order to provide for themselves and their families without getting a pay raise or have decent benefits. To be honest about I am not be sad over a bunch of girls who shake their cash and prizes not getting more money over people who work hard and try to survive in order to have a roof over their head and food to eat. If they can manage, so can the DCCs. 

Yes, other people in other professions definitely deserve more money for the services they provide to the community. 

Yes, for example, you teachers out there deserve WAY more for dealing with these bad ass kids 5 days a week, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the DCC don’t desrve more because their work is considered less impactful. 

To be frank, to be a competent dancer, you need to train YEARS in a -good- studio, learn all different kinds of styles, the whole 9... and a professional dance career in itself does not last that long (while other professions do). 

It’s a shame to me that these girls aren’t truly compensated for truly giving up -all-of their free time for what’s considered to be a very part time job. But I’m also not saying every girl on the team should get 40k because that would be unrealistic (but I do think showgroup members should get more). 

Maybe there is a very big “perks” package we don’t know about, because besides the free haircuts... and maybe a gym membership? I don’t see it lol I’m pretty sure they still have to pay for their own dance classes. It almost feels like you’re taking a vow of poverty/no social life to be a DCC, and that sucks. 

Kalyssa... I’m mad at because she was one of my favorite rookies but I’m glad she waited until the season was over. 

• Love 6

The pay of a cheerleader isn’t mutually exclusive to the pay of these other people you mention who work hard to survive and pay their bills. A cheerleader getting paid more by the Cowboys doesn’t mean that Billy Bob who works for the DMV is going to get paid less. Why does it matter that they “shake their cash and prizes”? Should that mean that they don’t get fairly compensated? They do a job and put in hours of practice, appearances, and dancing at games. It’s really a pretty simple concept. The DCCs and many other professional cheerleaders all over the country, and possibly the world, are being done a disservice by not being fairly compensated.

Anyway, I don’t want to veer too far off topic so I’m going to bow out of this discussion.

• Love 6

Does anyone have a number out of the girls on the team who are either in a graduate school program or who work a full-time job? We know one person - Selena.  I would be really curious about that. I could probably just go through the profiles but wasn’t sure if anyone already had a number.

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LMarchBand said:

Co-sign. Perhaps if the DCC organization did the right thing in this respect, karma wouldn’t be such a bitch.  Especially in light of the fact that being a DCC is more of a full time job than it is just a hobby or something these girls do for fun. 

It would be interesting to know the hours they put in every week when they add up all the practices, games, appearances, community service, working out, cooking to eat healthy, getting hair and nails done, time spent driving to and from games and practices,  plus all the primping they  must do before they can even walk out of their house each day.  The girls that stay for several years don't even get a retirement plan or health insurance which they could get at most other jobs.  I know they do it because they love to dance but that doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of.  It seems like more than a full time job.  

• Love 7

Jenna did a great job on her farewell video.  Seems like she is truly loved by her teammates and deep inside I bet Kelli and Judy love her too.  Can't wait to see where life takes her.  I wish her well.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, 5678Pixie said:

It would be interesting to know the hours they put in every week when they add up all the practices, games, appearances, community service, working out, cooking to eat healthy, getting hair and nails done, time spent driving to and from games and practices,  plus all the primping they  must do before they can even walk out of their house each day.  The girls that stay for several years don't even get a retirement plan or health insurance which they could get at most other jobs.  I know they do it because they love to dance but that doesn't mean they should be taken advantage of.  It seems like more than a full time job.  

I do not think the hours the girls work out or eating healthy to stay in shape should be considered working hours. A lot of people primp themselves before heading out the door to work, and do not get compensated for it. People can drive hours to work without getting extra pay for it unless they can write it off on their taxes. If a girl gets injured during TC or during the football season they can actually go to top notch doctors the players go see for injuries. Plenty of people get hair cuts to be presentable for their jobs without earning extra pay for doing so. The girls are not putting in forty plus hours a week to be considered full time. A lot of people have to go through a lot for their jobs and do not get paid for it. The girls can earn $175.00 on game day for working twelve plus hours for one day. I live in the state with the lowest average yearly wage, and I do believe people in my home state do not earn $175.00 for working twelve or more hours in one day. Plus people can work full time jobs with no retirement plans or lousy benefits plans and do not have top notch team doctors to go to when they get injured on the job.

And it does not look like any of the girls are living in poverty especially after looking at their social media pages. They live a lot better than a lot of people do, so I do not think they are suffering from what they are earning as a DCC.

Edited by bigskygirl
14 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not think the hours the girls work out or eating healthy to stay in shape should be considered working hours. 

Have you ever had a DCC body? I did, before my children destroyed my body and suck up all my time. Getting a body like that is a full time job. It takes hours of dedication and hard work in the gym and in the kitchen. It’s part of their job. 

• Love 7

What do prison guards’ working conditions have to do with the DCCs? I’m not trying to be rude but trying to understand. I agree that prison guards have crappy pay for the conditions, but those complaints need to be aimed at policy makers. No one is suggesting that the DCCs have it worse than other workers, just that their pay is crappy for the time that they have to put in, and that it is an impediment for many people who may otherwise try out. 

The fact that being a DCC is voluntary is besides the point IMO. No one is making anyone take a job as a prison guard either but many people think that they should be treated better. I don’t think that is a contradiction. 

• Love 3

Being fit is part of the job for a lot of jobs out there, but I do not think the hours eating healthy or working out should be considered workable hours.

I am saying people think the DCC get crappy pay for the time they have to put into their jobs, but their are a lot of people in the same boat who are required to put in extra hours aka being fit, looking good, drive to work, working out etc. etc. who do not get paid for it. Low pay is an impediment for many people, but a lot of people still do the type of work many of us would not considered doing knowing they get treated like crap no matter what. The DCCs are not suffering because they are not getting full time pay. I take a look at a lot of their social media pages with their going out to concerts, nice hair and makeup, nice cars, going on vacations etc. etc. while many workers are struggling to keep a roof over their head or food on the table. I would rather see prison guards and others with dangerous low paying jobs who actually want to make a difference get the pay and benefits they deserve than feeling sorry for a bunch of girls who look like they live better than others who actually go out and work hard in order to provide for themselves and their families.

12 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Being fit is part of the job for a lot of jobs out there, but I do not think the hours eating healthy or working out should be considered workable hours.

I am saying people think the DCC get crappy pay for the time they have to put into their jobs, but their are a lot of people in the same boat who are required to put in extra hours aka being fit, looking good, drive to work, working out etc. etc. who do not get paid for it. Low pay is an impediment for many people, but a lot of people still do the type of work many of us would not considered doing knowing they get treated like crap no matter what. The DCCs are not suffering because they are not getting full time pay. I take a look at a lot of their social media pages with their going out to concerts, nice hair and makeup, nice cars, going on vacations etc. etc. while many workers are struggling to keep a roof over their head or food on the table. I would rather see prison guards and others with dangerous low paying jobs who actually want to make a difference get the pay and benefits they deserve than feeling sorry for a bunch of girls who look like they live better than others who actually go out and work hard in order to provide for themselves and their families.

It’s not about feeling more sorry for the cheerleaders versus other people who are not fairly compensated in different fields. Fair compensation is a huge problem in the US, but this forum is dedicated to the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and that’s who we’re discussing. The point is that just because other people don’t get paid well doesn’t mean it’s right for the cheerleaders to not be fairly compensated for the work they do. I wouldn’t say I feel sorry for them because of course they audition for the organization voluntarily. However, I still think they should be fairly compensated for their efforts.

• Love 8

Other professions have zero to do with this. 

What people are saying is, the low pay and heavy time demands restrict it only to those with outside financial support or those using DCC to jump start their instagram/modelling/reality/spokesperson career.

Why are women actively lobbying for women in a skilled position to be paid less than fast food workers?  This is a rhetorical question.  Almost sad I asked it.

I'm moving on because I'm about to get in trouble.

Edited by hypeman
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, hypeman said:

Other professions have zero to do with this. 

What people are saying is, the low pay and heavy time demands restrict it only to those with outside financial support or those using DCC to jump start their instagram/modelling/reality/spokesperson career.

Why are women actively lobbying for women in a skilled position to be paid less than fast food workers?  This is a rhetorical question.  Almost sad I asked it.

I'm moving on because I'm about to get in trouble.

Preach. Seems like a lot of contempt for these girls. 

• Love 10

Sorry but I do not see the DCCs as a skilled position and I do not know many fast food workers who may work twelve or more hours in one day getting paid $175.00 for the one day. And there have been DCCs who have worked without financial support aka Sasha who had little girl the two years she was on the squad, Carisa who was willing to get a full time job in order to help her siblings have a chance to do things they like to do, and Danielle who worked for at least one year before heading out to Dallas to try out, and they all manage to survive. In fact I think it is nice to see one or more of the girls work a full time job in order to be a DCC instead of thinking the organization owns them something because of the all the extra work they may have to put in order to be the perfect DCC. And excuse me because *gasp* I think there are others out there who deserve more pay and better benefits for working hard instead of a group of cheerleaders. The world survive before the DCC came along and would survive without them, but we cannot survive without our military, emergency personnel, law enforcement, teachers, and others who put in more hours and actually go out and make a difference in their part of the universe. And there are millions of women who have gotten modeling contracts, reality television show careers, instragram and spokesperson careers without being a DCC.

3 hours ago, LadyWithCats said:

I’m hoping they’ll take my chubby 31-year-old ass. I think I’m finally in a position in life where I can financially afford to be a DCC. Now I just need to learn to dance.

Ditto--I'm 28 now, and only got a job where I could afford to be a DCC when I was 27. But, like you, there's no way I could get the time off to attend Game Days, practices, appearances, special events and solo preparation time. And I'm not even married or have kids! 

8 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

There have been girls with regular 8 to 5 jobs and girls who went to college full time while been on the team. If they cannot afford to be on the team and expect to be paid the big bucks then they should not be trying out for the squad. 

So DCC should only be a rich girl's hobby? No poor people allowed? 

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

And it does not look like any of the girls are living in poverty especially after looking at their social media pages. They live a lot better than a lot of people do, so I do not think they are suffering from what they are earning as a DCC.

No, of course they're not. Because auditioning/dancing for the DCC is outside the realm of possibility for anyone below middle class. Let's be real here for a moment: being a DCC is a "privilege" only for the privileged and middle class. I'd honestly be surprised if any of these cheerleaders is supporting herself 100%. They are able to audition and cheer with the DCC because they have families/parents/husbands at home supporting them financially, at least in part. 

7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The place where my husband works at has a very high turnover rate with low pay, dealing with a lot of crap, and young lazy workers. Not saying all young people are lazy, but the majority of the ones he works with are.

Am a millennial. Can confirm: Not all young people are lazy. However, us "young people" aren't stupid either. If you pay us crap wages, no benefits, and we are forced to work long hours, you better bet we're going to realize pretty quickly that this job isn't worth much effort. I wonder how the attitudes/work ethics of the young people at your husband's place of employment would change with higher pay and a feeling of greater value. 

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Sorry but I do not see the DCCs as a skilled position and I do not know many fast food workers who may work twelve or more hours in one day getting paid $175.00 for the one day. And there have been DCCs who have worked without financial support aka Sasha who had little girl the two years she was on the squad, Carisa who was willing to get a full time job in order to help her siblings have a chance to do things they like to do, and Danielle who worked for at least one year before heading out to Dallas to try out, and they all manage to survive. In fact I think it is nice to see one or more of the girls work a full time job in order to be a DCC instead of thinking the organization owns them something because of the all the extra work they may have to put in order to be the perfect DCC. And excuse me because *gasp* I think there are others out there who deserve more pay and better benefits for working hard instead of a group of cheerleaders. The world survive before the DCC came along and would survive without them, but we cannot survive without our military, emergency personnel, law enforcement, teachers, and others who put in more hours and actually go out and make a difference in their part of the universe. And there are millions of women who have gotten modeling contracts, reality television show careers, instragram and spokesperson careers without being a DCC.

That may be your opinion, but the Department of Labor disagrees.  Dancers are skilled workers who require many years of training to obtain their positions.  They’re paid little more than minimum wage and as someone else noted above, they had to fight for even that much.

NFL cheerleaders are paid far less than our military, EMS workers, law enforcement, or teachers.  Should those workers be paid more for the services they provide?  Absolutely.  Does that have anything at all to do with what a bunch of billionaire NFL team owners pay their cheerleaders?  Not in the slightest. It’s not a zero-sum game.  Why should “managing to survive” be the standard?  

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Acromantula said:

Ditto--I'm 28 now, and only got a job where I could afford to be a DCC when I was 27. But, like you, there's no way I could get the time off to attend Game Days, practices, appearances, special events and solo preparation time. And I'm not even married or have kids! 

So DCC should only be a rich girl's hobby? No poor people allowed? 

No, of course they're not. Because auditioning/dancing for the DCC is outside the realm of possibility for anyone below middle class. Let's be real here for a moment: being a DCC is a "privilege" only for the privileged and middle class. I'd honestly be surprised if any of these cheerleaders is supporting herself 100%. They are able to audition and cheer with the DCC because they have families/parents/husbands at home supporting them financially, at least in part. 

Am a millennial. Can confirm: Not all young people are lazy. However, us "young people" aren't stupid either. If you pay us crap wages, no benefits, and we are forced to work long hours, you better bet we're going to realize pretty quickly that this job isn't worth much effort. I wonder how the attitudes/work ethics of the young people at your husband's place of employment would change with higher pay and a feeling of greater value. 

giphy.gif

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

First of all, the outside world isn't what the rest of us are discussing.  It doesn't matter what teachers, law enforcement, military etc are being paid because that is not relevant to the discussion taking place.  We are simply talking about Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.  So, on that note, forgive me if I am wrong, but you're saying then that it doesn't matter whether these girls are fairly compensated, simply because they should know what they are getting into?  That's a bit...ridiculous, in my opinion.  That's like saying the teachers you reference should have known better than to be teachers because they know going that the pay is low and they will inevitably pay for supplies out of their own pockets.  

I think the DCC organization does owe their girls something if the girls are required to look a certain way even when they are not repping the team at a game or function.  These girls are required to be in full makeup and DCC acceptable dress ALL of the time.  This is why they are given breaks on the cost of hair, teeth whitening and other DCC related sponsors.  However, they are still paying for the standard of living that one has.  I worked full time, 8-5, when I was their age even when I was in college but there is no way I could have supported myself, a hair monthly hair and nail appointment, dance classes, new clothes, lashes, rent, a car payment, utilities, audtion fees, costumes, etc.  $150 a game would barely cover a hair appointment in Dallas.  

Yes, the world will survive and did for millions of years before the advent of the NFL but that doesn't replace the fact that every person should be compensated fairly for their time and effort when they are working. It's a shame that one, it seems like girls who have a dream should not pursue it because they can't afford it..  These girls are at the perfect age tp follow a dream before real life sets in.  And, two, I think that in this day and age, it's again a shame that there is a mindset that these girls are not deserving of fair treatment and fair pay.  Especially when players like Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott, Jason Witten and even that 3rd string random guy who barely made the roster are all being paid a minimum six figures.  (In reality Dak, Zeke, Jason and the well known guys are making millions upon millions for throwing and catching a ball and here we are discussing the worth of trained dancers).

Edited by LMarchBand
Just because.
  • Love 6