Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Chapter Sixty-Five

When Jane is reunited with her first love, Adam, she is shocked but happy to see him, however Xo and Alba are less thrilled that he is back. After Rafael loses ownership of the hotel to his sister, he finds himself at Jane's house, broke and homeless. Jane and Rafael learn that Petra has been found and they rush to her aide, but Anezka is nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, Xo and Rogelio's wedded bliss is interrupted when they confront the realization that Darci is having Rogelio's baby and she wants full custody.

Promo:

The whole almost-marrying-Adam-at-18 thing feels like a pretty big addition to Jane’s backstory at this point, but I love the stylistic conceit of Adam having his own narrator/series style, like he’s been the hero of his own separate show.

• Love 11

I thought Tyler Posey did fine. He didn't particularly elevate any material, but he seemed natural enough in the role, albeit younger than present day Jane (who looks remarkably believable as a 19-year-old). I like that her first love wrote her love theme. The new narrator is amusing me. Um, did Rafael get more attractive? I want to see Jane involved in the Sin Rostro plot at some point. Like I seriously need her to punch Rose in the face/kick her ass. And I will take it in comic book panel style if they want to incorporate more of that. 

• Love 3

I never watched teen wolf and honestly I don't like Tyler Poesy's new role. It seemed odd and unnatural. Maybe I'm biased; I don't want to see Jane end up anyone but Raf. I was okay with Jane's happy ending with Michel but this new character just bothers me. I'm pretty interested in how the living situations are going play out. After that huge argument where is Raf and Petra going to stay? Who get the hotel, will Petra have to work with Luisa? Is Luisa going to co-operate with Petra? Is this weird new narrator going to stick around? Is Jane really going to date this new guy? How is Jane and Raf's co-parenting relationship going to be affected? Are Jane and Raf still end game? How long is Tyler going to stick around?

• Love 2

I still enjoy this show (especially tonight's dueling narrators), but I'm really feeling the absence of Michael.  At least for now, I really don't care whether she ends up with Adam, Rafael, or no one at all. 

Luisa is infuriatingly pathetic; she's kind of worse than her vicious, murdering, drug-dealing girlfriend.  And I can't stand Darci. If it wouldn't hurt Rogelio, I'd want her to succeed in her plan to raise the baby by herself so that I'd never have to see her again.

• Love 8

I loved the introduction of Adam with his own narrator. Not only because banter between the narrators was cute, but also because it was a clever way to show Adam importance to Jane’s story. Hopefully, he ends up being worthy of his prominence. So far, he seems sweet but not that interesting.

I was worried that Rafael would go running back to Jane the minute she signaled interest, so I was pleasantly surprised that they’re not backtracking on his feelings for Petra. Although, I do hate that the writers’ need to write Rafael as more of a jerk whenever they’re pushing another love interest for Jane. Not sure how many more rounds I can take of Jane and Rafael fighting about money.

I think this baby story is going to be a good one for Ro and Xo - there’s lots of mixed feelings and character history that go into it, so it’s a good way to drive tension in a natural way.

• Love 5

I liked the episode but I felt Xiamara crying to Jane about her ruined honeymoon was insensitive. Jane's honeymoon was spent wondering if her husband would live and helping him recover from a gunshot wound. And he ultimately didn't live so for me it was just not great. Of course, I've never really cared for Xo so that maybe coloring my perception.

• Love 1

I really liked this. I thought they did a good job of introducing Adam; giving him his own telenovela narrator and cartoon effects was a good way to show his importance to Jane and make him not just some minor love interest like the random guys from last season. If Jane can't be with Michael then I'm ok with Adam. In fact, if the writers decide not to make Jane and Raf the end game after all I'm ok with new end game being Adam. They can live happily ever after creating graphic novels; he can do the pictures and she'll do the words. 

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1

This feels like the same recycled storylines season after season. Who owns the Marbella?  Rose is evil and has converted Luisa to the dark side. Will they or won't they (Petra, Raf, Jane)? Rogelio lacks self-control. Zzzzz.  Time for some new material. 

• Love 2

How long before Adam asks Jane to write the story for his graphic novel/comic book? I was honestly surprised that he didn't ask while they were still on the beach.

I was cracking up at how perfectly poufed out Jane's maid of honor dress was while she was sitting on the beach because if the entire skirt was laid out perfectly around her, that means her bare ass was sitting on the sand.

• Love 3

I really didn't like this episode. If it's indicative of what the season will be like, the show is not going to stay on my must see list. I am sick and tired of the hotel drama and the sin rosters drama. 

• Love 3

I'm surprised to say this, but... I didn't really like this episode.  And with rare exception (Petrafied, Rogelio Stalker), I'm pretty much always on board with what this show has to offer.

But nothing in this episode did it for me.  I didn't care for Tyler Posey, I haaaaaaaaaaaaate the thought of more Petra torture at the hands of Aneszka, I wasn't wowed by the new Mateo (and I thought the last one was an incredible find... I wonder what went amiss), I didn't like the way either the Ro/Xo/Darci or Jane/Raf/Petra relationship threads unfolded.

I am even perpetually pro-Rose & Luisa, but I didn't like their bits last night either!

Intellectually I like the female narrator concept, in execution I was annoyed by it.

Maybe I'm just in a mood this week or something.  Disliking a Jane The Virgin episode this much was a strange feeling!  I'm wondering if the problem was just me and if I should rewatch...

• Love 5

The dueling narrators was hilarious, and I liked the whole "hero of his own story" thing with Adam, and the comic book look to his story. It makes me wonder if all the characters have a narrator and a visual style narrating their adventures, we just dont see them. That being said, Adam was just alright to me. He seems sweet, but thats about it. I will give him a shot though, but I think I still miss Michael. I know its been ages, but I am NOT over it yet!

I cant stand Luisa, I just want her gone. She is so pathetic and awful, I actually like Sin Rosta more at this point. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The dueling narrators was hilarious, and I liked the whole "hero of his own story" thing with Adam, and the comic book look to his story. It makes me wonder if all the characters have a narrator and a visual style narrating their adventures, we just dont see them. That being said, Adam was just alright to me. He seems sweet, but thats about it. I will give him a shot though, but I think I still miss Michael. I know its been ages, but I am NOT over it yet!

I cant stand Luisa, I just want her gone. She is so pathetic and awful, I actually like Sin Rosta more at this point. 

Though... don't you really want to hear Luisa's narrator?  Because I suddenly do.

• Love 8

I loved it. It was the funniest SP they ever done in my opinion. The writers did something I wanted them to do. Break the fourth/go full meta when new Mateo was introduced. Adam had his own female LLN which was pretty funny. Don't worry, it was just for the premiere. I liked all the Adam/Jane scenes. I loved all the J/R scenes including the nasty fight. I'm tired of Jane acting like Rafael's wealth is evil and somehow it's going to turn Mateo into a spoiled brat. She will see how easy it was when Rafael had money compared to him not having money. Jane should never apologize for her background and Rafael should never apologize for his background. But Jane has annoyed me for years when it comes to that topic. I can understand both sides but I'm more on Raf's side in that situation. Yeah, J/R are still endgame. It's written in the stars. I'm really starting to believe Rose will be here until the end which is annoying.

Edited by Simba122504
Added more thoughts
  • Love 7

I think this baby story is going to be a good one for Ro and Xo - there’s lots of mixed feelings and character history that go into it, so it’s a good way to drive tension in a natural way.

Rogelio's and Darci's social media shenanigans were too funny! I did like Xiomara pointing out to Rogelio that Darci is the mother of his child. He and Darci have to figure out a way to be civil to each other if they're going to be co-parenting.

Mateo's hero pose in the elevator cracked me up.

20 minutes ago, Simba122504 said:

Jane should never apologize for her background and Rafael should never apologize for his background. But Jane has annoyed be for years when it comes to that topic. I can understand both sides but I'm more on Raf's in that situation.

Yes! I really wish Jane would stop with the 'money = evil' mindset she has. It's annoying. Money in and of itself isn't evil and a person who has money isn't automatically devious, selfish, arrogant or whatever bad character traits Jane equates with money. If Rafael uses his money to provide Mateo opportunities to learn and explore different activities then Jane should be grateful for that. There are so many parents who wish they could do that for their children. As long as Jane and Rafael instill good values in Mateo the money should not affect his character development. I also didn't like how Jane announced that she planned to transfer Mateo to a different school without discussing it with Rafael first. Decisions like that should be discussed and decided on together.

Looking forward to more Petra vs. Anezka insanity!

• Love 2

Speaking of Jane's attitude about money, there was no indication in this episode regarding how she's earning a living. One of the things I liked from the earlier seasons was how the storytelling was so grounded in the family's financial reality. Seems to have become less of in issue. 

• Love 3

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Adam. It's such an old trick. Bring in someone to pre-empt established love stories. Wasn't Jane 23 when the series started? Didn't she recall kissing Rafael 5 years before as the most magical ever thing?  How does that fit with Adam? Anyway, it's a tactic I hate - it's insta-importance and it's lazy. Oh, didn't you know? THIS was the guy she loved first, to whom she was engaged, who had her heart. It's lazy, it's a crutch, it bugs me, and it's a bullshit ploy to grab insta-importance to a new character and give him airtime. Of course, if Tyler Posey had sold all of it or had chemistry with Gina Rodriguez it wouldn't matter, but he wasn't memorable with her nor interesting in his own right.

Other observations. Justin Baldoni has become a much better actor. He was so bad the first few seasons, and then after that, only decent opposite a few of the show's actors, and just bad with others (including Rodriguez, IMO). Now he has a solid grip on himself, is much more relaxed and can hold his own in any scene.

However, as soon as Petra mentioned that she and Aneszka fell into the water together and Aneszka was lost, I clicked off my computer (I watched on the CW stream). ENOUGH. This is nothing more than a plot device. I got it immediately - this is Aneszka and she's going to fuck up Petra. I don't think anyone enjoys it. I don't think anyone enjoys Sin Rostro and Luisa. After all the kudos the creators received for the first three seasons, I can't believe how unimaginative, repetitive, and irrititating they've become.

• Love 5

Tyler Posey is going to make me watch this show again, isn't it? I quit after Michael died, but I love me some Teen Wolf.

The humor was definitely there, but enough of triangles! Poor Petra continues to get crapped on. I want her to get a win, and nothing short of her terrible twin and even more terrible Luisa (when did she become such a heinous bitch?) dying will suffice. 

The double narrators were great, and I'm glad that Raf went off on Jane and not apologizing for his lifestyle. You have zero problems with Mateo going to a private school and having him pay for everything (including a trust fund) as long as it makes your life easier. She needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

ITA that Jane demonizes Rafael's money while still reaping the benefits. If not for that money, her son would not be in that school (even though she hates the moms, she doesn't seem to have an issue with the quality of his education and experience there), taking karate, etc. Money doesn't automatically make people bad but she keeps making Rafael out to be the bad guy just because he happens to have enough money to financially support their child.

I totally get that she doesn't like the moms at Mateo's school, but if the kids are nice enough to give him money because he said his family is poor, it seems like at the very least, his classmates have some sympathy. They could have made fun of him but instead they tried to help him.

When Rafael said that Luisa froze all of his money, I was wondering how that would affect things like the kids' trust funds. I wasn't sure if she could legally take those away without a huge court battle. I guess it doesn't matter now since Rafael emptied them out to try to buy the Marbella back.

Adam/Tyler Posey does nothing for me. I don't actively hate him or anything but he's just there. I do love that GR has such great chemistry with everyone that she was able to look charmed and besotted immediately and it was believable. I think I'm partially just sick of all the love triangles and I'm not at all invested in Adam or his story (heh, unlike his narrator). I did think it was sweet that his narrator loves him as much as our narrator loves Jane.

It was not at all surprising that Darcy was so easily able to manipulate Rogelio into doing something to give her leverage on him. Xo has been so mature dealing with all of this even though it clearly hasn't been easy on her. I love that she finally made Rogelio realize that ultimately, Darcy is the mother of his child and that accordingly, he should stop trying to outdo her. It will be easier for everyone involved if they can all get along for the next 18 years (at the bare minimum). Coparenting is challenging, even when you and the other person are on good terms and on the same page about decisions regarding the kid. Constantly being at war with the other person just adds a ridiculous amount of stress for the foreseeable future.

Jane's reaction to finding out that both Alba and Xiomara told Adam to call off the wedding was surprisingly mild.

• Love 3
On 14.10.2017. at 2:57 PM, Jillybean said:

This feels like the same recycled storylines season after season. Who owns the Marbella?  Rose is evil and has converted Luisa to the dark side. Will they or won't they (Petra, Raf, Jane)? Rogelio lacks self-control. Zzzzz.  Time for some new material. 

This, a million times. God, what is it with this show? We've been running in circles forever. Didn't Michael have to die so that the show could take a new, interesting, wild, unpredictable etc. direction? So, where is it?

Love triangles are OLD. Petra pretending to be Anezka and vice versa is OLD. Everything about Rose being evil!!!1 is OLD. Jane and Rafael arguing about money is OLD. Not to mention that we spent half of the previous season waiting to see if Jane was going to have sex after we waited two full seasons to see... if Jane was going to have sex. Gah.

Also, Adam is a BS retcon and I'm not feeling it one bit. I'd much rather Jane had met someone completely new.

And the new Mateo is not as cute. 

Again, gah. 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 3
On October 14, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Phebemarie said:

As a stalwart Michael fan, I was annoyed show had Adam actually compose Jane's love theme.   Boo, Show, Boo!  

As a fan of Jane, and a fan of Raf+Jane, I too was annoyed that Adam wrote the love theme song. No no no no no!

• Love 1
On October 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Simba122504 said:

Jane should never apologize for her background and Rafael should never apologize for his background. But Jane has annoyed me for years when it comes to that topic. I can understand both sides but I'm more on Raf's side in that situation. 

Yes, yes, yes! Completely agree. A compromise needs to be reached, so that Mateo does not turn into a spoiled rich brat, or turn into a cheap skates who turn his nose up on people with money. I too find this endless fight between Jane and Rafael tiring. It's almost like she is telling Raf that he's crap because he comes from money.

• Love 4
On 10/14/2017 at 2:14 AM, LaughingOne said:

Although, I do hate that the writers’ need to write Rafael as more of a jerk whenever they’re pushing another love interest for Jane. Not sure how many more rounds I can take of Jane and Rafael fighting about money.

I'm getting a little worried that the writers may settle on character assassination as the means of keeping Jane and Raf apart until the end of the series, a la Ross & Rachel or Ted and Robin. I don't want to be hate-watching this show when it ends, if I'm watching at all. 

On 10/14/2017 at 10:18 PM, DianeDobbler said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Adam. It's such an old trick. Bring in someone to pre-empt established love stories. Wasn't Jane 23 when the series started? Didn't she recall kissing Rafael 5 years before as the most magical ever thing?  How does that fit with Adam? Anyway, it's a tactic I hate - it's insta-importance and it's lazy. Oh, didn't you know? THIS was the guy she loved first, to whom she was engaged, who had her heart. It's lazy, it's a crutch, it bugs me, and it's a bullshit ploy to grab insta-importance to a new character and give him airtime. Of course, if Tyler Posey had sold all of it or had chemistry with Gina Rodriguez it wouldn't matter, but he wasn't memorable with her nor interesting in his own right.

Other observations. Justin Baldoni has become a much better actor. He was so bad the first few seasons, and then after that, only decent opposite a few of the show's actors, and just bad with others (including Rodriguez, IMO). Now he has a solid grip on himself, is much more relaxed and can hold his own in any scene.

However, as soon as Petra mentioned that she and Aneszka fell into the water together and Aneszka was lost, I clicked off my computer (I watched on the CW stream). ENOUGH. This is nothing more than a plot device. I got it immediately - this is Aneszka and she's going to fuck up Petra. I don't think anyone enjoys it. I don't think anyone enjoys Sin Rostro and Luisa. After all the kudos the creators received for the first three seasons, I can't believe how unimaginative, repetitive, and irrititating they've become.

I already knew it was a retcon too. So was Sam. At this point, she kissed Raf when she was a fetus. lol Did anyone noticed how Rose killed that guy by putting the chain around the back of his neck? You cannot kill someone that way. Only the front of the neck. 

Honestly, I might have been fine with having Sam back instead. Nothing against Tyler Posey, and he certainly did a fine job with Adam, but all this retconning is hurting my brain. I also feel a little bit thrown and insulted that he wrote Jane's love cue. As an avid Michael fan, who waited this long to even try to watch this premiere, I'm not that happy about this fact. 

Sin Rostro, Luisa, and Anezka need to go the hell away, like Catalina did. I love Bridget Regan a lot, but Sin Rostro outlived her welcome long ago. Also, the longer Anezka is around, the more I question all of Petra's scenes because I'm basically convinced, whenever Anezka's whereabouts are unknown, that Petra is somewhere else and her sister is impersonating her. They've played that card a bit too much for me to trust anything.

Jane also needs to shut it about Rafael having money. We get it; to Jane, money makes people selfish and greedy, and she wants to teach Mateo to not rely on money because it won't always be there. It's too bad she hasn't been doing that good of a job teaching that to him, because he really is a spoiled child. Though I agree with Jane that Mateo doesn't need private school like that. 

I'm fairly meh on the Rogelio/Xo/Darci situation. Maybe because I'm not a Rogelio/Xo fan in any way, and actually find myself preferring Xo to him these days. 

I did love the dueling narrators. That was a fun twist that I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Well show, fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. I'm not falling for this supposed epic Jane/Adam love story. I now know that you're not veering off the course for the true endgame of Rafael/Jane. You got me with Michael, and look what happened. Not that I'm rooting for Jane/Adam in any way, but I now it's only a short lived romance. It is nice to see Rafael and Jane actually clashing, and it looks like it won't be easily resolved. I'll take what I can get.

On 15/10/2017 at 10:08 AM, woodstock said:

I really wish Jane would stop with the 'money = evil' mindset she has. It's annoying. Money in and of itself isn't evil and a person who has money isn't automatically devious, selfish, arrogant or whatever bad character traits Jane equates with money. If Rafael uses his money to provide Mateo opportunities to learn and explore different activities then Jane should be grateful for that.

While I agree with you on Rafael and think that he's done nothing to deserve the way the show has treated him. I'm completely on Jane's side in regard to the school. Hearing they have money problems and having them go, "well, leave soon! we have a waiting list" would make me go, "fuck them!" And I think she and Rafael are close enough now that they can just be themselves.