Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: The Endling

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

Liz and the team hunt for an elusive criminal who will stop at nothing destroy some of the world's most precious treasures; a surprise encounter leads Red towards a new business opportunity; Tom investigates the bones in the suitcase.

He...Is...Not...Her...Father!

Does anyone who has regularly watched tv or movies think that he is?  He's never even claimed that he is!  He's just stopped denying it.

I think Red had seen the House episode Son of Coma Guy:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Coma_Guy?wprov=sfla1

So had I, so the solution seemed obvious.

Poor Nik.  What kind of doctor was he?  I had thought that heart transplant surgery was fairly difficult and probably required special training and lots of practice, but maybe that was Nik's speciality.

• Love 1

Not even a mention of Agnes by name, or even a passing reference to whoever is minding her. If you'd just tuned in, you'd be confused by Tom and Liz referring to themselves as parents. It is bizarre that neither character even has so much as one line about their child. At this point, she might as well be dead.

As a life-long equestrian and horse owner, I was actually physically upset by the fire in the opening scene. I know people who've lost their horses in barn fires - it is tragic beyond belief. The fact that that fellow lit up his pipe in the barn is beyond insane - no responsible horse person would EVER light up in the barn - it is just begging for disaster. I had to turn away from my TV - I was seriously shaken.

I'm glad Harold lit into Liz. That was moderately satisfying. Yet, she just trotted home and enjoyed a glass of wine with Tom, la di da, no big deal. She clearly didn't seem too upset that Harold was so upset.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Not even a mention of Agnes by name, or even a passing reference to whoever is minding her. If you'd just tuned in, you'd be confused by Tom and Liz referring to themselves as parents. It is bizarre that neither character even has so much as one line about their child. At this point, she might as well be dead.

As a life-long equestrian and horse owner, I was actually physically upset by the fire in the opening scene. I know people who've lost their horses in barn fires - it is tragic beyond belief. The fact that that fellow lit up his pipe in the barn is beyond insane - no responsible horse person would EVER light up in the barn - it is just begging for disaster. I had to turn away from my TV - I was seriously shaken.

I'm glad Harold lit into Liz. That was moderately satisfying. Yet, she just trotted home and enjoyed a glass of wine with Tom, la di da, no big deal. She clearly didn't seem too upset that Harold was so upset.

All of this!

53 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

After Liz found out that Mr. Kaplan had been her nanny, it's too bad she couldn't broker a deal between Red and Mr. Kaplan whereby they left each other alone in return for the latter being allowed to take care of Agnes full time!

Yes, my Mom asked about Agnes and I said that she's with the dogs...  Oof, talk about bad parents.

3 hours ago, Biggie B said:

This.  I was more upset about the horse than the blacklister killing herself to save her son (not to mention burning a man alive in the barn and the hotel worker, etc.).  Mommie I could care less about.

Of course Liz wasn't going to pay that much attention to Cooper because she's Liz and all.

So long Dr. Nik but why do people go into rooms when the door is open and you know it shouldn't be open?  I know movies/tv do it all the time but it still makes me roll my eyes because nothing good is ever going to come out of being that nosy.  I'd have told Tom to take his butt over there if he was that anxious.

I did like that Red is rebuilding his empire.  Instead of robbing houses while people are away, let's harbor fugitives instead!  Good times.

• Love 2

Liz has not taken one moment of self-reflection on what happened all of last season.  In this episode, we see the mother sacrifice herself for her kid (side note: I really didn't understand her "blacklist" placement.  Was she the Endling or did she just use those tactics to get the other golden bloods? Hard to believe she went from Syrian refugee to blacklister in few years) and I couldn't help but be reminded of the fact that Red used Liz to smoke out Mr. Kaplan by having her kidnapped and putting her life in danger.  Like the opposite of this mother, yet, Liz has abetted Red in all his machinations this season - because RED IS HER FATHER.  And, of course, we have an entire "mother sacrifice" story w/o mention of Agnes.  Liz is just too busy having her fun daddy/daughter time I suppose.

2 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Instead of robbing houses while people are away, let's harbor fugitives instead!  Good times.

I too was rather entertained by this.

• Love 2

Whenever I am away for more than 2 days, I fill out one of those forms so that the Post Office will hold my mail.  Some of my neighbors refuse to do this because they don't want the post office to know that they are away, and ask me to pick up their mail every day.  I think this is kind of paranoid, but I do them the favor.  Now I find out that there is a list, and they are right.

(I do think that leaving your newspaper in your driveway overnight is a signal that you may have gone away, so it's better to cancel it or have a neighbor collect it.)

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

(I do think that leaving your newspaper in your driveway overnight is a signal that you may have gone away, so it's better to cancel it or have a neighbor collect it.)

Newspaper subscriber...who still does that??? Another list of red flag people....

• Love 1

Seriously, the total absence of even a mere mention of Agnes has gotten distracting. I don't want the show all about the baby but throw in a passing line here and there to let us know how she's doing. They never even explained who watches her. And Red never mentions her either. 

I do enjoy Red rebuilding and gathering new cohorts. Spader's charms totally carry this show. 

• Love 3

Good episode i almost feel bad for the robbers- they picked the worst house possible! Im with keen letting the criminal give her heart to an innocent child was a good thing and telling one lie to get that done is absolutely worth it. But i also see coopers point about how keen slipping into reds world could impact the team in a major way in the future. On the bright side at least she has tom to talk to about all this and seeing as he doesnt like red he could keep her "honest" if she comes to him with her dilemmas.

Reds lightbulb moment about the criminal bnb was awesome i died after he laid out the plan telling the mailman he would be rich and oh by the way what do you have available for tomorrow!

4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Now I find out that there is a list, and they are right.

I have put my mail on vacation hold, but they have never asked when I will return.  I went in to collect it, and they would ask me if I wished to continue the hold, but that was all.  The same for my newspaper delivery.  I guess it would work for one or two nights for Red. 

There wouldn't be any questions about a suicide and two open heart surgeries resulting in a transplant, would there?   And then one of their surgeons turns up dead.  Just another day at Hospitals R Us. 

I did like the "Doctors Without Morals" quip, though. 

I WANT a roll of Calvin and Hobbes stamps.  I will pay the surcharge.

Red's phone number is listed on Liz's phone  as "Nick's Pizza"?

As far as Agnes is concerned I wish they would take a horrible lessen from Dallas and that it was all just a bad dream.  She never existed!  What idiot thought it would be a great idea to write a baby into an action crime drama.

Edited by ally
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Doyounot said:

On the bright side at least she has tom to talk to about all this and seeing as he doesnt like red he could keep her "honest" if she comes to him with her dilemmas.

Yeah, "honest" is right.  The pot calling the kettle black!  He took his wives Federal government credentials to access confidential information without her knowledge.  Yeah he's the pillar of truth and virtue.  The nerve of him convincing that dumb Dr. Nick to help and then having the audacity to say he was a big boy and could take care of himself.  Wrong, guess again Tom.  Nick is not a trained spy and killer, he had no idea he needed to be armed to go into the apartment, although when a door is ajar and the lights are out common sense should tell a person not to enter.  As a matter of fact Nick should have told Tom if he wanted the info so bad to go himself even if that meant heading over the next day, it obviously couldn't have been that important if he called all day instead of dropping by.  It's not like he had to take care of Agnes.

Edited by ally
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Yeah, that scene was horrible to watch. I don't even have that much exposure to horses IRL, so I blame it on that Canadian show, Heartland, lol. The BL's plan seemed to hinge on the horse owner smoking in the barn, which was an odd thing to assume. 

I'm no expert on heart transplants, but can an adult heart be transplanted into a child??

I'm pretty sure at one point Red was supposed to be Liz's father. In the script for the pilot, it mentions that the Red-Liz vibe is supposed to be borderline flirtatious and faintly sexualized. Anyone who watched BL: Redemption knows that's exactly how they played Tom and his mother throughout the series, with this weird sexual undertone. I don't know if after so many season, the writers have changed the storyline up ( for example, they retconned Mr. Kaplan as Liz's nanny) but I do think that Red as Liz's father was the original intent. 

13 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

On Wiseguy, Vinny phoned his handler - "Uncle Mike" at "Terranova Hardware" - but from a pay phone because cell phones had not been invented yet...progress!

Edited by paigow
6 hours ago, mandigirl said:

In the script for the pilot, it mentions that the Red-Liz vibe is supposed to be borderline flirtatious and faintly sexualized. 

Just like Luke & Leia...until they magically became twins...and Vader spent so much time with Leia without sensing that he was her father...

44 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

That's been consistent.

45 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I have put my mail on vacation hold, but they have never asked when I will return.  I went in to collect it, and they would ask me if I wished to continue the hold, but that was all.

The stop-mail card gives you a choice of picking up your back mail or having it all delivered on a date of your choice.  I would have to take off work to go to the post office, so I just do it all on the card at the beginning.

47 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

The same for my newspaper delivery. 

I assume you mean you call the newspaper company to resume delivery, not that you go to collect  your back papers.

22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yeah, but in that episode of Castle, the newspaper delivery guy was using the list of folks who put a vacation hold on their papers to squat in their apartments while they were gone (and then a murder happened, which they found when they returned), so...pick your mindless-crime-procedural poison. *g*

As for this show, the whole season thus far feels a lot like they wanted to keep the show on (just in case) to have something with at least middling ratings and a big name star, and this is what they've come up with. Perhaps in their minds, they think they're doing the 'series reboot' that a few shows have managed recently to right themselves, but mostly it just feels ... kinda different (not better). *shrugs*

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, tljgator said:
  22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So, neighbor it is!

Off topic, but I once had a neighbor ask me to take in her mail for a week and also check her front door for packages.  She received about 20 boxes of various sizes that week-items she had ordered from catalogs!  I wound up keeping them in my trunk because I didn't want the pile in my house. This was a planned trip, not a surprise.  I don't know what she was thinking, ordering so much stuff in the week or two before she left.

Argh... Is this another example of Hollywood whitewashing, even though it does not include white people? An obviously Indian woman is cast as a Syrian. SMH. Not only in this episode, but the previous as well, now that Red does not have the power and the money, how is it that he is still able to intimidate people?

That episode was just dumb. It’s hard to go along with even this show when you have Tom stealing his crack FBI agent wife’s ID without her noticing, Tom leaving ALL the bones with a guy he doesn’t even know, Liz watching without emotion as a woman kills herself, the transplant of a fully grown woman’s heart into a young (small) child, and an FBI director letting Liz off with a light warning for allowing all that to happen and lying to her fellow agents. Ridiculous even for this show. 

• Love 4
On 10/19/2017 at 8:54 AM, Biggie B said:

And no hint of the dogs either -- do they even have dog food in the house ?  They never even show them walking the dogs -- ever.

12 hours ago, Ottis said:

That episode was just dumb. It’s hard to go along with even this show when you have Tom stealing his crack FBI agent wife’s ID without her noticing, Tom leaving ALL the bones with a guy he doesn’t even know, Liz watching without emotion as a woman kills herself, the transplant of a fully grown woman’s heart into a young (small) child, and an FBI director letting Liz off with a light warning for allowing all that to happen and lying to her fellow agents. Ridiculous even for this show. 

I too thought it kind of sucked.  

That fire spread way too quickly to not have had the help from an accelerant -- the pipe had just ignited in the straw/hay by the body as the woman walked away from the dead horse trainer, but by the time she reached the door it had spread throughout the entire barn and was spreading out from under the door.

As a Federal official, Lizzie certainly is strict about the National Do Not Call list.  FFS !

Pot, mustard, satchel, dragon, mind, qi -- the words on Dembe's letter tiles on the table.

Africa, hand, devious -- the 3 words on Red's letter tiles on the table.  Is that a passive/aggressive shot at Dembe ?  
Dembe did betray him once, yet didn't get the same treatment as Kate.

The newspaper that Red gave Lizzie had the correct date of the episode airing (Oct. 18) -- weird though, the article kept mentioning about how young an age Fitzpleasure was put out to stud.

Oh come on -- a creator of one of a kind items by destroying all other copies of said item.  That is just stupid, and barely worthy of a Blacklist case.

Is it illegal to conspire to murder a racehorse ?  Sure equicide is probably a crime, but is conspiracy to kill a horse a crime. Really ?

The power for the some of the video feeds for the hotel is in an unlocked wall box off a stairwell.  That is just plain stupid.  Hotel Security dude needs to be fired immediately for something that stupid.

Oh boy, super slo-mo room service cart bomb explosion.  Despite bleeding out of her ears after the explosion, Samar suffers no lasting effects from the explosion, and neither does Ressler event though both were thrown across the elevator lobby.

So the princess was never the real target, but instead Anna the blood-bag is chock full of Golden Blood was the target.  Give me a break, but as @Nijntje pointed out it is apparently a real thing. The more you know.

So Lizzie makes a point about no phones during their lunch, but then she breaks the lunch date with Tom because she got a call.  Bit of a hypocrite there Lizzie.

Lizzie is too easily distracted by the chickens and the burgers and fries and root beer --  because she's an idiot.

Wow, this is stupid -- so this woman did ALL of this to kidnap her own child and arrange to commit suicide to provide a heart for him.   And even then IF he lives through the night he might have a chance.  So all that Endling nonsense was just a con to get information for this Rube Goldberg setup to save her son.  So why did she give him up for adoption in the first place ?  Was that explained ?

Plus how many people did this woman kill to save her son, but she saved her son so that makes it ok ?

But he's my dad so that makes the criminality ok -- words only dumbass Lizzie would ever utter.

The MacGuffin .... I mean the bones .... are stolen yet again, that's a surprise says absolutely no one,  Seriously, how many times is that briefcase going to change hands this season ?

• Love 1

I didn't see this episode, just reading here to see what I (did not) miss. To reply to Otto about horse murder being a crime: Some years ago a huge scandal broke in the show-jumping world. Those horses are insured for hundreds of thousands of dollars. To collect payoffs, a "hit man" was hired to break a horse's leg so it appeared he broke it accidentally in his stall at night. The same hit man would kill horses via electrocution, which made it appear the horse died of natural causes. Meanwhile, the owners collected gigantic insurance payoffs. The hit man eventually was tracked, caught, and he spilled the beans, getting many (very wealthy) horse owners arrested in return for a lesser sentence for him. As for a horse being used at stud, a 2 year old can sire a foal, and it's not unusual for a 3 or 4 year old to be standing at stud.

• Love 1

I'm not a big fan of the Liz/Tom relationship but maybe they do deserve each other.  They are both stupid.  Anybody that has a job especially one that deals with confidential information (I'm saying this as only a state employee that has access to confidential info) knows that there is no expectation of privacy when things that involve the job are compromised.  I'm going to assume since Tom has spent so much time as a school teacher and stay at home dad that he has lost his talented spy skills and become as dumb a Liz. 

As soon as her credentials were used it was logged into a system that keeps track of what government employees have accessed.  Depending on what division she works in it would be flagged.  For example if she was investigating terrorist activity why would she herself use the database to search DNA.  They have a forensic department that would handle this type of information since everything involves a custodial chain and records.  Also since they have a computer tech on hand he would access the majority of any computer information they would need.  Basically, she would be flagged and they would be wondering why she was looking up this info.  If it pulled something up that had nothing to do with what she was working on that would draw attention. 

Since the government is supposedly involved in whatever puts Liz and Reddington in danger someone on the inside would be keeping track of any information that would compromise whatever is going on.  So they run the DNA it pulls up something that attracts someone's attention and now, the idiot Tom, has actually put Liz in danger, because for all they know she's the one that actually had someone access it.  Yeah she's so much safer with Tom.  I would have included Agnes too, but she doesn't exist.  Ok, maybe Tom and Liz are not the only stupid ones.  Kudos to the writer's that added the absentee baby to the show.  At least Red has built and intimidating reputation that might still carry a little weight and give Liz some protection.  I will say this, Red is right in saying that he and Tom share similar proclivities.  They are both arrogant and think they know what's best for Liz and are the only one's that can protect her, but at least one of them has a little weight behind his dangerous reputation to back it up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't see this episode, just reading here to see what I (did not) miss. To reply to Otto about horse murder being a crime: Some years ago a huge scandal broke in the show-jumping world. Those horses are insured for hundreds of thousands of dollars. To collect payoffs, a "hit man" was hired to break a horse's leg so it appeared he broke it accidentally in his stall at night. The same hit man would kill horses via electrocution, which made it appear the horse died of natural causes. Meanwhile, the owners collected gigantic insurance payoffs. The hit man eventually was tracked, caught, and he spilled the beans, getting many (very wealthy) horse owners arrested in return for a lesser sentence for him. As for a horse being used at stud, a 2 year old can sire a foal, and it's not unusual for a 3 or 4 year old to be standing at stud.

Thanks for the insight @saber5055 -- I had no idea.  Seriously, a hit man Gilloolyed a horse ?

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Wow, this is stupid -- so this woman did ALL of this to kidnap her own child and arrange to commit suicide to provide a heart for him.   And even then IF he lives through the night he might have a chance.  So all that Endling nonsense was just a con to get information for this Rube Goldberg setup to save her son.  So why did she give him up for adoption in the first place ?  Was that explained ?

They were living in a war-torn country, so she knew that there would be no hope for him if he were to get sick. Therefore, she put him up for adoption. 

However, she didn't plan to commit suicide. She did all those things to save him, and would have even killed someone else with golden blood to do so, but Red put her in the position of her only choice being to give her life for her son's.

• Love 1

Is it illegal to conspire to murder a racehorse ?  Sure equicide is probably a crime, but is conspiracy to kill a horse a crime. Really ?

Yes, absolutely. In my neck of the woods, there was a massive, massive scandal in the mid-1990's in which an extremely famous rider/trainer conspired to have some very expensive show horses killed so that his clients could collect the insurance. From Wikipedia:

-----------------------------

...the Rhode Island-born trainer Barney Ward, who owned Castle Hill farm in Brewster, New York, also arranged horse-killings for wealthy owners;[6][15] Burns said Ward arranged for Burns to commit 15 horse killings.[4]

Ward was charged in 1994 with arranging the killings of four horses. Although he claimed to be innocent of the charges, he pleaded guilty in 1996 to conspiring to kill four horses for their insurance payouts between 1987 and 1990: Charisma, Condino, Rub the Lamp and Roseau Platiere.[4] In court papers he "admitted that he told the horse killer to keep quiet about the people who hired the killer to slaughter the horses, and, if he kept quiet about [Ward's] friends and business associates, [Ward] would pay him money. [and] that [Ward] later spoke with the horse killer and [...] said that he would kill the horse killer if he did anything to hurt [Ward]."[16]

Ward was sentenced to 33 months in prison, followed by three years of probation, and ordered to make restitution of $200,000 to one of the defrauded insurance companies.[12][16] Upon his release, Ward sued the AHSA, which had barred him from attending its sanctioned shows. He claimed that it was his right, as a private citizen and no longer a member of the AHSA, to watch his son compete in equestrian events. In 2000, the Supreme Court of New York found that argument meritless, ruling that Ward's membership in AHSA at the time of his criminal conduct, plus his promise to be bound by the organization's rules, authorized the AHSA to discipline him, regardless of his current membership status.[16]
----------------------------

I can't emphasize strongly enough what a huge scandal this was. People still talk about it. It was truly beyond belief - as if the coach of a Super Bowl-winning team hired hit men to kill the players on his team. Sadly, Barney Ward was not the first to do this, and won't likely be the last.

• Love 1

Biggie B, thanks for more details of the insurance-fraud horse killings. Note that horses killed were heavily insured, similar to Dateline stories when the husband murders his heavily insured wife. As an fyi, AHSA is American Horse Show Association.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Biggie B said:

Yes, absolutely. In my neck of the woods, there was a massive, massive scandal in the mid-1990's in which an extremely famous rider/trainer conspired to have some very expensive show horses killed so that his clients could collect the insurance. From Wikipedia:

-----------------------------

...the Rhode Island-born trainer Barney Ward, who owned Castle Hill farm in Brewster, New York, also arranged horse-killings for wealthy owners;[6][15] Burns said Ward arranged for Burns to commit 15 horse killings.[4]

Ward was charged in 1994 with arranging the killings of four horses. Although he claimed to be innocent of the charges, he pleaded guilty in 1996 to conspiring to kill four horses for their insurance payouts between 1987 and 1990: Charisma, Condino, Rub the Lamp and Roseau Platiere.[4] In court papers he "admitted that he told the horse killer to keep quiet about the people who hired the killer to slaughter the horses, and, if he kept quiet about [Ward's] friends and business associates, [Ward] would pay him money. [and] that [Ward] later spoke with the horse killer and [...] said that he would kill the horse killer if he did anything to hurt [Ward]."[16]

Ward was sentenced to 33 months in prison, followed by three years of probation, and ordered to make restitution of $200,000 to one of the defrauded insurance companies.[12][16] Upon his release, Ward sued the AHSA, which had barred him from attending its sanctioned shows. He claimed that it was his right, as a private citizen and no longer a member of the AHSA, to watch his son compete in equestrian events. In 2000, the Supreme Court of New York found that argument meritless, ruling that Ward's membership in AHSA at the time of his criminal conduct, plus his promise to be bound by the organization's rules, authorized the AHSA to discipline him, regardless of his current membership status.[16]
----------------------------

I can't emphasize strongly enough what a huge scandal this was. People still talk about it. It was truly beyond belief - as if the coach of a Super Bowl-winning team hired hit men to kill the players on his team. Sadly, Barney Ward was not the first to do this, and won't likely be the last

Insurance fraud is a felony. In this case, the killer was not defrauding an insurance company, so the question remains of how great a crime conspiring to kill a horse is. Of course, she also committed arson and caused the death of a human.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Thanks for the insight @saber5055 -- I had no idea.  Seriously, a hit man Gilloolyed a horse ?

The horse kept saying "Why"? "Why"?....

Where was CSI: SPCA? There should be burn marks on the electrocuted horse...

On 10/20/2017 at 11:57 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Argh... Is this another example of Hollywood whitewashing, even though it does not include white people? An obviously Indian woman is cast as a Syrian.

Blame it on"Lost" for casting an Indian actor that Sawyer would call a "Genuine Eye-Raqi"

Edited by paigow
No "u" in Iraqi....
  • Love 1