Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Brett Is Dead

Stupidly happy that Brett is alive. He was my favorite background character and according to IMDB, this is the actor's first and only gig, so I'm glad he's still around. And the reason why they couldn't get ahold of him and why he didn't show up was also pretty funny and I could see it happening. Clock in buddies! It was funny that they named the episode for him, he got a ton of mentions, but they STILL didn't give the actor any lines.

Dina's post-storm anxiety was pretty cartoon-y, but at its core, they got a lot right about how it is when someone suffers from anxiety. Her hovering by the sliding doors looking at the rain really hit home for me. Also when she mentioned always wanting to be prepared. It actually broke my heart. Nice to see us anxiety sufferers represented!

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Still have absolutely no memory of Brett. Has he ever done or said anything? Or is he just literally a background character?

He's a background character. He's usually the only one doing his job and he's often shown cleaning up when one of the main characters makes a mess. Also the other characters describe him as able to sell customers anything, which is funny because again, he has no lines.

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Still have absolutely no memory of Brett. Has he ever done or said anything? Or is he just literally a background character?

In the tornado episode, he had his first line at the end, "Oh shit". So so happy he's back! When Amy said they emailed the wrong Brett, all I could think was that my husband's company would so do the same thing. Love this show!

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

ISTR in ‘Super Hot Store’ he was the one standing in the electric eye for the entrance doors. But even so, that was only interludes. Really happy he’s alive though.

• Love 2

I only have the vaguest recollection of Brett from last season's finale. But by far, the funniest moment of this episode was Dina storming out of the staff meeting, and yelling "out of my way Brett!" as she breezes by him.

This was a better episode than last week's, I thought. I'd still like to know why Garrett is in a wheelchair, though. The cynic in me suspects he doesn't really have to be and one day someone is going to catch him walking around.

LOL at Myrtle's old-lady rambling. Any guesses what she said that was bleeped?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

Brett is alive! Huzzah! "out of my way Brett!"

While we now know that Brett is alive, there are still so many unanswered questions. How did Garrett end up in the wheelchair? Why was Dina's camp nickname Bagel Boobs? Who`s foot did they find?!?! Is their cannibal mascot on the loose again? 

• Love 4

I lalso expected something to come of the leaking roof, but I actually love how this show will set up a gag like the cahsier continuing to do his job while the water slowly drenched him, and never pay it off with further consequences, though. It's the comedy of total resignation.

• Love 12
57 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I lalso expected something to come of the leaking roof, but I actually love how this show will set up a gag like the cahsier continuing to do his job while the water slowly drenched him, and never pay it off with further consequences, though. It's the comedy of total resignation.

And it's so true to life that a retail worker just kicks the can down the road instead of going to a manager or doing something about it. The drudgery and repetitiveness of the job often kills all motivation.

• Love 6

As soon as I saw the title of this episode, I knew Brett wasn't dead, because they would have taken a bunch of crap about spoiling stuff.  Before that, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had perished, as he would have been a perfect choice.  He's not some off screen nobody that we've never seen, but there isn't a real attachment since he's never really involved in the storylines.

What I didn't see coming was how we find out he's alive.  That was terrific and perfectly played by Lauren Ash.

I'd also like to find out more about the associate that hung her garter over Brett's memorial picture.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Sile said:

I'd also like to find out more about the associate that hung her garter over Brett's memorial picture.

I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I've watched all these episodes, enough to have noticed details about the minor characters. That associate's name is Heather, and she's in the background nearly as much as Brett. In "Black Friday," they switched off working because they were on opposite puking cycles. In "Ladies' Lunch," she was doing a yoga pose when the store was empty.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I've watched all these episodes, enough to have noticed details about the minor characters. That associate's name is Heather, and she's in the background nearly as much as Brett. In "Black Friday," they switched off working because they were on opposite puking cycles. In "Ladies' Lunch," she was doing a yoga pose when the store was empty.

Thanks!  Glad to know somebody else looks at the little things, too.  I swear I spend more time checking out the set decoration....

I tried to catch her name tag, but she turned as she was going off screen and it was blurred.  Is she the same one that has the black hair down to the waist?  She pops up every now and then, maybe it's the same one with a different hairstyle so I didn't recognize her right off.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:20 AM, idiotwaltz said:

I find this show much more enjoyable when they don't focus on the Jonah/Amy will-they-or-won't-they. 

So so so much more enjoyable. Stop trying to force this stupid cliche. They aren't Sam and Diane, Niles and Daphne, or even Leonard and Penny and the UST plots always seem to bring down the inspired insanity that they do so well. They work so well as the grounded contrast to their more cartoony co-workers, but I have no interest in them as a couple. When they go there it makes me tune out which is bad because so much of the funniest stuff in the show is the subtle background details. It's really the only thing I don't like about the series along with when they don't realize Glenn works best in small doses.

3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

So so so much more enjoyable. Stop trying to force this stupid cliche. They aren't Sam and Diane, Niles and Daphne, or even Leonard and Penny and the UST plots always seem to bring down the inspired insanity that they do so well. They work so well as the grounded contrast to their more cartoony co-workers, but I have no interest in them as a couple. When they go there it makes me tune out which is bad because so much of the funniest stuff in the show is the subtle background details. It's really the only thing I don't like about the series along with when they don't realize Glenn works best in small doses.

What I do appreciate about the Amy-Jonah story is that the show didn't start out with them hating each other. Jonah liked Amy from the first time he saw her and considered asking her out until he realized she was married. 

• Love 3

I was so excited when Brett was revealed!

So curious why Garrett is in the wheelchair. Love how he's trolling Jonah.

I was confused about the Dinah part, I thought something got revealed in her sob fest with Amy, turns out, it didnt. yet. 

• Love 1

Thanks!  Glad to know somebody else looks at the little things, too.  I swear I spend more time checking out the set decoration....

The real gems on this show are the quick shots of customers doing things, like the guy picking up the framed picture of Brett and putting it in his shopping basket. I remember once there was a shot of a customer actually opening and using the deodorant and then putting it back on the shelf.

• Love 6

iMonrey: my personal favorite was the one where a blonde woman was standing on one aisle with a kid of about 10; another similar woman with a similar kid came up the other side of the same aisle, swapped kids, and left with the other woman's kid.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2017 at 2:49 PM, chabelisaywow said:

With the roof leaking, I really thought it was going to cave in and they would all be in the shelter eating jerky. 

What's funny about the leaky roof is...it's a brand new roof! The whole store should be mostly brand new because of all the damage from the tornado. 

• Love 3

Everyone dodging the buckets of water from the leaking room cracked me up. My Wal-Mart, which is a relatively a new Wal-Mart has this same thing going on after big rain storms in their frozen section. I always marvel at how many buckets there are that I have to dodge. I feel like one of the writers visited my Wal-Mart! lol