Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

Being that so many things are staged for the show, I find it hard to believe that Matt didn't know Amy would be coming over. Especially being the control freak he is. 

If somehow, he really didn't know, or want her there, the kids should have asked him beforehand, because it's his house. 

Either way, it struck me as weird that it was so awkward that she was there. Wasn't she over there when he was laid up and they were chatting about something 'important'. She also gave him some fancy shmancy bed, hugged him before his surgery?  Hubby and I bicker about everything (like Amy and Matt) because we are polar opposites. But even if we were divorced, I can't see either one of us acting weird about being in the same room. 

As far as Zach, I don't know if he happens to be the most loyal child or if he took on that role because he's the only one not chasing his dreams all over the West Coast. I do enjoy the banter between him and Amy. He really does seem to be a caring son and I must say he is my favorite one, by far. 

Zach is super sweet and s is his wife. Jer's wife is going to beat feet as soon as the show is cancelled.

• Love 7

She shouldnt have gone to Matt's. That s fucked up. They are divorced. Go away Amy.  

And if they weren't on a tv show, I think things would be done differently.

I'd actually go a step further. They're divorced. Why are they living on the same property within walking distance of each other? I mean, they're not poor, they're not like at least one divorced couple I know who really couldn't afford to move away from each other.

And here's the thing. I will ignore how Matt most likely was told that Amy was coming over for filming and will pretend that he was surprised that Amy showed up. That means his kids sprung it on him. That means, if Matt didn't like having Amy over in his house "uninvited by him", then Matt needs to stop running off after making baby bitch faces and hiding in his room to express his displeasure, and be a man and tell his precious golden boy and auxiliary child that going forward, he does not want his children assuming its ok to invite his ex wife into his home without his permission. The relationship has changed and they aren't going to get back together, and the kids need to start accepting that.

On screen, Matt and Amy send a lot of mixed messages about their divorce so I get why the twins (who are a little dim anyway) get confused. Here's the reality. People who are divorced sometimes have anger towards each other. That's ok. Particularly when the divorce is first settled, sometimes people don't really want to see the ex. This show creates a lot of unnatural situations. I'd have more sympathy for Matt feeling invaded by Amy if Matt wasn't willfully choosing to not move. And he could. There's no reason he has to live on the farm, they've even stated in prior episodes that there's money to buy property, If he doesn't want to see his ex on a daily basis, he has the option to leave. As does Amy, for that matter. They're choosing this.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

And if they weren't on a tv show, I think things would be done differently.

I'd actually go a step further. They're divorced. Why are they living on the same property within walking distance of each other? I mean, they're not poor, they're not like at least one divorced couple I know who really couldn't afford to move away from each other.

And here's the thing. I will ignore how Matt most likely was told that Amy was coming over for filming and will pretend that he was surprised that Amy showed up. That means his kids sprung it on him. That means, if Matt didn't like having Amy over in his house "uninvited by him", then Matt needs to stop running off after making baby bitch faces and hiding in his room to express his displeasure, and be a man and tell his precious golden boy and auxiliary child that going forward, he does not want his children assuming its ok to invite his ex wife into his home without his permission. The relationship has changed and they aren't going to get back together, and the kids need to start accepting that.

On screen, Matt and Amy send a lot of mixed messages about their divorce so I get why the twins (who are a little dim anyway) get confused. Here's the reality. People who are divorced sometimes have anger towards each other. That's ok. Particularly when the divorce is first settled, sometimes people don't really want to see the ex. This show creates a lot of unnatural situations. I'd have more sympathy for Matt feeling invaded by Amy if Matt wasn't willfully choosing to not move. And he could. There's no reason he has to live on the farm, they've even stated in prior episodes that there's money to buy property, If he doesn't want to see his ex on a daily basis, he has the option to leave. As does Amy, for that matter. They're choosing this.

Word.  If they don't like these fake story-lines where they have to show up at each other's places and be uncomfortable, stop doing the stupid show.

Edited to add:  I did think Amy's bathing suit was cute and looked great on her.  **Had to post this so you know I'm not all bad ;)**

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 6

I didn't get that kids didn't really want Amy to go to game night. I think they asked her to NOT hurt her feelings. Here they all were going to Matt's and leaving Amy out which didn't sit well. So they invited her so she wouldn't feel left out. They thought she might not go because of Matt, but seemed to be ok. She went cause she didn't want to hurt the kids' feeling as they'd invited her. She just should have told them that she didn't feel comfortable going and so she wasn't. In any case, I think it was staged for the show. Oh the drama!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, kat165 said:

I didn't get that kids didn't really want Amy to go to game night. I think they asked her to NOT hurt her feelings. Here they all were going to Matt's and leaving Amy out which didn't sit well. So they invited her so she wouldn't feel left out. They thought she might not go because of Matt, but seemed to be ok. She went cause she didn't want to hurt the kids' feeling as they'd invited her. She just should have told them that she didn't feel comfortable going and so she wasn't. In any case, I think it was staged for the show. Oh the drama!

Yes, that's what I said.  They asked her because they wanted to make her feel good, and they thought she would say no.

I don't think they would have asked if they thought she would really go.

Edited by Honey
; is not the same as '
  • Love 1

I have never been a big fan of Amy's but since the divorce she seems "lighter" and is much more likeable. We see her stinkface only occasionally now and it's usually when she's dealing with Matt. I'm happy for her. She seems free.

• Love 2

Yeah, I think it's clear that Matt and Amy are better apart.  I'm glad that Matt stood firm when Amy was so miserable being separated.  She seemed to be desperate to argue wit h someone.  Maybe, now she's adjusted and isn't needing a whipping post. lol  Or maybe she's enjoying the single life. I hope so.  She's too young to not have fun and be happy.  Matt too. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Ok, am I the only one who thought that whole mouth piece game was really gross?  I sort of understand how something like that could possibly, maybe fun, but there was just something so weird about observing this group of people doing it.  It was just really uncomfortable to watch, especially on top of all the awkwardness that was Amy being in the doublewide after her long internal debate as to whether to go, and then Matt's typical attention-getting reaction to her coming.  

Maybe it's just me, but I think that game is gross.  I don't need to see the gingiva of my family and friends, so very close up.  Ugh.

• Love 9

The mouth guard game is a "thing" now... a lot of people on YouTube are doing various challenges with them... I don't really get it, I hate them at the dentist, do I can't imagine doing that voluntarily for a game.

• Love 2

About game night: I don't know about anyone else, but I was raised to not invite people to someone else's house without their permission. I get that it was for the show, but is that not common sense? Does TLC expect us to believe and accept that the kids did that? 

I don't think Amy will be hurt when she realizes the kids didn't really want to invite her. She's not stupid; I think she probably assumed they felt somewhat obligated by either the producers or by virtue of her being their mother.

The game thing is something I would play if I was tipsy (I don't drink enough to get drunk) or really sleepy and punch-drunk, but I usually prefer less goofy games. I mean, I don't have anything against those kinds of games; it's just not my style. I did see one of my rl friends posted a video of herself and her husband playing this very game the day after this episode. It's apparently a thing.

By the way, did anybody notice Tori said Amy wouldn't be able to resist game night because "all of her kids will be there"? They're not even pretending to care about Molly and Jacob anymore.

• Love 5

About game night: I don't know about anyone else, but I was raised to not invite people to someone else's house without their permission. I get that it was for the show, but is that not common sense? Does TLC expect us to believe and accept that the kids did that? 

I have two answer to that, a nice answer and a not so nice answer.

The nice answer is that it was being filmed, Matt knew the kids would be showing up for *filming* and he's an executive producer on the show so he's either well aware of the possibility that Amy will be encouraged to attend by production if not the kids, or he's in denial about what he does for a living - he's on a reality show where his reactions are part of the show.

The not so nice answer? Maybe if Matt ever bothered to teach his kids some fucking manners, they wouldn't be all "Let's have game night at Dad's and surprise him with Mom because we have the right to do whatever we fucking want with Dad's property!" Considering how we never see these kids knock (they don't live it at home anymore, and Audrey and Tory never lived in the main house) and we are constantly treated to Amy walking into a room and being surprised to find family in the house... I think it's possible the kids think they rule the roost.

I will throw Tory and the family in general a small bone in that Jacob and possibly Molly at this point are not going to show up for "filmed family game night" or "filmed family track and field day" or "filmed family wacky fun on the farm day" because they now both live in different states. Molly apparently works as a CPA in Spokane? And Jacob is living in California pursuing some sort of hippy dippy lifestyle and they clearly have no interest in continuing to be on the show. The show *should* address it but clearly don't plan to, and therefore the "whole family" is now "those who get paid to do the show".

• Love 3

I think Molly is still willing to appear on the show on occasion (but I doubt we'll see her this season) but she is currently in Spokane which is what, a six hour drive or an actual flight?

Jacob doesn't want to be on camera. Molly hasn't been as firm but the evidence is on screen. She's simply not as confrontational about it.

• Love 1

They've shown Matt over at Amy's, and both if them in the office.  I'm going to bet that when the kids are home, Matt feels comfortable just showing up at Amy's.   They are still ' the parents' soon to be grandparents together.  If they refuse to allow each other at the others place, that's going to be really annoying for the kids. 

As as for the kids just walking in the house,our family has always been that way. My parents would be hurt if I knocked as if I were a stranger. I would in turn be hurt if my children knocked before they came in. 

• Love 1

In fairness - I know many divorcees who don't allow their ex in their home. Is it petty? Depends on the situation.

And I consider the knocking thing somewhat situational dependent.

Jeremy and Audrey don't live within normal driving distance. Therefore I find it odd and rude that Amy apparently has moments where she walks into her house and finds her daughter in law already there with daughter in law's pet cat as a surprise. Likewise the whole "Oh hey, Jeremy! I had no idea you were coming and now you're in the kitchen unannounced!" moments. Jeremy no longer lives within minutes of the farm. Speaking as someone who has to board a plane and fly for three to five hours to see siblings and parents... if I showed up on a lark, I'd be knocking on the door and not letting myself in.

• Love 2

I always assumed the "surprise" shown when finding someone sitting in the living room or kitchen was fake and just for the show.  Because aren't all these people wearing mics that have to be put on them before taping starts?  So no one is ever really surprised to find someone in their house. They know who is around and what is going on.  

Same with the no knocking thing ... visitors are all mic'd up in advance and their presence is no surprise.  And they don't bother having people knock in the door because then someone has to go answer the door and let them in and it would just be boring to watch them do that time after time.  So they just come walking on in like it's standard operating procedure because it makes a scene go more smoothly. 

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Can people just enter the property without being buzzed in or something? 

They can if they have gate remote controls.  If they lived there and had them, I doubt they were taken away when they left home.  

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

They can if they have gate remote controls.  If they lived there and had them, I doubt they were taken away when they left home.  

True. It just reminds me of another show where people have to be buzzed in. So, the cast knows they are there or on their way, yet they act all surprised to see them.

sucker4, I've never known the Roloff kids to do anything commonsensical, have you? Which is
not to say I disagree that this was a set up by the producers which is obviously was. And yes,
I did notice what Tori said about all of Amy's kids being there. Frankly, I'm shocked that Jacob
and Molly are even shown in the opening credits.

Was there a new ep tonight (Dec 13)? My guide showed a bunch of repeats (already??). Are they taking the winter break? (I hate that shows now do this.)

Edited by kat165
On 12/10/2016 at 11:18 PM, mythoughtis said:

As as for the kids just walking in the house,our family has always been that way. My parents would be hurt if I knocked as if I were a stranger. I would in turn be hurt if my children knocked before they came in. 

Grown children who move out should let the parents know if they are dropping by.  We used to phone our mom to let her know we were almost there and she would be expecting us and then we would walk in.  Just like she wouldn't just walk into our homes without calling us to tell us she was on her way or nearly there.  It's just respectful and moving the relationship from childhood to adulthood.  We all live close to each other so stop by each other's all the time but give a quick call.  You never know what you may walk into.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

Loved it when Jer said if Amy was successful  "we"will have another business. He really believes everything is his.

Very clear that Jeremy and Audrey fully expect to take the place and have it as their own. In their minds, it's a done deal.

I think when I see them visiting that they are only there to measure for drapes. The avarice is so obvious.

• Love 13

I think it was the last episode or a recent one for sure, where Matt basically insinuated Jeremy was into the family business and Zach wasn't so much. Maybe I'm totally off, but it seems like Zach is there doing crapwork that need to get done. And Jeremy only stops by to do a little work on camera. 

Btw, do Zach and Tori have regular jobs? I think Jeremy and Audrey make a living telling old people how to have a successful marriage. The girl child has a legit job. And the youngest probably sells weed to the farm help. But if Zach and Tori work, I must have missed it? 

I think he still works at the soccer place. In fairness to Jeremy (and people think I can't be fair) I suspect their actual work around the farm is fairly even. I think Zach has more daily go to chores while Jeremy gets the exotic "spend time with Matt" chores. . I do love how Jer and Auj smugly noted how *they* now had another business to run on the farm in the glamping B&B thing. No, idiots, no you don't. Amy was filming non paying friends camping. To legally run a bed and breakfast would be a huge commercial venture. Oh, and considering the reality that most non local friends who would want to "glamp" on Roloff Farms would be fans, no, Jeremy, you can't tell paying guests that they can't trod on your sacred areas. Not if you want happy paying guests.

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:52 PM, Mike p. said:

Very clear that Jeremy and Audrey fully expect to take the place and have it as their own. In their minds, it's a done deal.

I think when I see them visiting that they are only there to measure for drapes. The avarice is so obvious.

I wouldn't let those two manage my ice cream truck! Lazy, lazy people. They walk slower than a zombie on TWD. And wouldn't they have thought to help Amy with the food and service particularly since they want to open a similar business and plan events? I can see Jeremy not getting it because he does not appear to be very intelligent. But that Audrey is as sharp as a tack and unfortunately the only gold to dig from that family is the farm.

Zach is the best kid in that family and deserves everything.

Edited by spankydoll
  • Love 7

How times have changed. I haven't watched the show since the twins were half-assing it at community college - whatever Roloff stuff I bitch about now usually has to do with their Internet presence and other people's hilarious recaps lol - so my last impression of Zach is what a lazyass he was. Don't get me wrong, I hated Jeremy more even then, but Zach was still just kinda... pathetic. There was this ep when Zach was getting ready for school and Amy had made breakfast. Zach took the plate and just sat there like a lump, grunting that he needed a fork, so Amy got him a fork. It was a small moment, but I remember thinking, "Dude, really? You're a senior in high school and you can't get your own damn fork?" It's funny how certain ultimately inconsequential scenes will just stick in your head. It was a stupid fork, who cares, right? But I kept thinking that even the world's laziest teenager should be able to get their own fork. 

Back then, Molly seemed like the most likable Roloff kid. (Jacob wasn't exactly likable, I think, but I felt sorry for him.) Now it turns out that Molly's obviously cut from the same anti-gay conservative Christian cloth as her hero Kirk Cameron and Jeremy, while Zach's done a 180 and is no longer a lazy sadsack lump of clay. No idea what his religious/political beliefs are, but he's not making passive-aggressive tweets and then whining about people reading into them the way Jeremy and Audrey do, and that's all I can ask. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, galax-arena said:

How times have changed. I haven't watched the show since the twins were half-assing it at community college - whatever Roloff stuff I bitch about now usually has to do with their Internet presence and other people's hilarious recaps lol - so my last impression of Zach is what a lazyass he was. Don't get me wrong, I hated Jeremy more even then, but Zach was still just kinda... pathetic. There was this ep when Zach was getting ready for school and Amy had made breakfast. Zach took the plate and just sat there like a lump, grunting that he needed a fork, so Amy got him a fork. It was a small moment, but I remember thinking, "Dude, really? You're a senior in high school and you can't get your own damn fork?" It's funny how certain ultimately inconsequential scenes will just stick in your head. It was a stupid fork, who cares, right? But I kept thinking that even the world's laziest teenager should be able to get their own fork. 

Back then, Molly seemed like the most likable Roloff kid. (Jacob wasn't exactly likable, I think, but I felt sorry for him.) Now it turns out that Molly's obviously cut from the same anti-gay conservative Christian cloth as her hero Kirk Cameron and Jeremy, while Zach's done a 180 and is no longer a lazy sadsack lump of clay. No idea what his religious/political beliefs are, but he's not making passive-aggressive tweets and then whining about people reading into them the way Jeremy and Audrey do, and that's all I can ask. 

It's always mentioned how Zach's wife Tori has helped him change....in only good ways.

Either way your post made me LOL. 

• Love 4

I was in full agreement with the guy who offered the BEST feedback.  A bathroom and hot shower would be nice.

I don't camp.  I don't glamp.  No interest.  Wouldn't stay in one of those tents without a bathroom and hot shower for free.  Especially if you throw in an hour-late dinner.

• Love 2