Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, readster said:

Reminds me of the reveal that Christina was Jewish in season 2. It was a big: WTF? Only referencing it every so often. If Christina was so serious that she didn't: "decorate a Christmas Tree, observe the sabbath, extra. Why the hell bring it up? 

She didn't seem to be practicing, and she always came out with things in that blunt way. If she grew up with the Jewish faith, I can see her saying that. They also probably just needed something else to come between her and Burke. 

1 hour ago, MissScarlett said:

The show wrote her as having a very childlike relationship with her faith. When Matthew's wife died and through a conversation with the Christian teen who broke his own hand to keep from masturbating, April realized what we all do at some point -- that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why bad stuff happens to good people. Instead of reflecting on it maturely and reconciling her expectations with her faith, she acted out like a jilted teenager.

If I remember correctly Sarah Drew wanted to do a crisis of faith storyline. (I think a lot of April's most poignant storylines was because Sarah Drew wanted to do them LOL)  But yeah at the end it really boiled down things were tough because i didn't get what I wanted. (like the Rabbi legit had to break it down for her like that).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissScarlett said:

YES! I loved Japril as a couple more for the potential and the chemistry than the actual storylines. They were never really in sync. He'd say black, she'd say blue. Before her wedding she asked Jackson to give her a reason not to get married. He stayed silent. Then, on the wedding day, he stood up and declared his love for her. After that, it was good for a hot second until they lost baby Samuel. Then, it was back to the same black/blue/opposite pages. Both are accomplished surgeons and able to communicate with their patients very well but with each other, there always seems to be a communication block. I'm doing a rewatch of the show and have to say that it's so frustrating but also now understandable why they didn't end up together. IF Sarah comes back to the show, I would love to see Japril rekindled and together as healed adults.

I can actually see April losing her virginity during an adrenaline high and alcohol. She was willing to part with her virginity when she briefly had a fling with Alex. I hated the way Alex handled that but at least his asshole nature put a stop to it when she wasn't truly ready.

The show wrote her as having a very childlike relationship with her faith. When Matthew's wife died and through a conversation with the Christian teen who broke his own hand to keep from masturbating, April realized what we all do at some point -- that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why bad stuff happens to good people. Instead of reflecting on it maturely and reconciling her expectations with her faith, she acted out like a jilted teenager.

Who knows, maybe that comes from so much time in school and less time for socialization.  Still, I wasn't a fan of how the show handled that moment. Another moment that made me side-eye the show is when April wanted Jackson to kind of "pretend" that he was Christian / believed in God after they had gotten married in haste to make her parents feel more welcoming. To me... that kind of negates being a Christian. Far better to welcome a non-believer with open arms and warmth than to call them a heathen or be cold and judgmental. 

Even Sarah drew said something along the lines of April’s faith being very “fearful” and that it’s not supposed to be that way. It’s definitely not the way she herself experiences Christianity and faith. 

I can kind of see why just from the way others treat her. She afraid to be herself and afraid of always being the outcast. Plus I definitely got the notion that fear was a part of her religious upbringing. Anyone who feels that if they have sex they lose their connection to Jesus was told that and more from a very young age. 

I honestly don’t even rewatch a lot of japril scenes. It was frustrating the first go around and to know now there is absolutely no payoff for any of it, I just can’t bring myself to do it no matter how much I love Sarah Drew and Jesse Williams. 

Season 14 really seemed like japril we’re entering a new more mature stage of their relationship and I def thought there was a long game of them being friends and co parents and knowing each other better then before and then falling in love all over again. It would have been a sweeter story then most of what’s going on now. Ill always hate that japril were torpedoed for bullshit reasons.

• Love 5

The Dumbness 1: April pissed off at Jackson because she lied to her boyfriend about her virginity

The Dumbness 2: Jo is pissed off at Alex because she didn't tell her boyfriend about her past (which imo if you were gonna live with someone i'm sure that that's something that should have been brought up)

The Dumbness 3: The entire Ethan storyline. they coulda spent more time with the staff infection (and Dr Quinn did it so much better)

I'm doing a slow rewatch now, about 3 episodes a day between work.  

I'm up to season 3, episode 10.  It really was much, much better in the first few seasons, but I still think Derek was insufferable.  

• Love 5

I had to take a break from Seattle and i'm rewatching Private Practice. makes me wish we had a thread to talk about it, but i think a few characters really shone there (Mark especially) and i think again it would have made sense to move Mark to LA (though i can't remember if Private Practice was cancelled by the time of the plane crash)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

I had to take a break from Seattle and i'm rewatching Private Practice. makes me wish we had a thread to talk about it, but i think a few characters really shone there (Mark especially) and i think again it would have made sense to move Mark to LA (though i can't remember if Private Practice was cancelled by the time of the plane crash)

I thought it ended the same year. I hadn't watched the show, but wasn't the finale airing late 2012? Around the same time that Bailey got married (unless I have that date wrong). I think I had the finale on, when I was doing something.

Moving Mark to Private Practice would've been great. He's in plastics, so he'd get a lot of cosmetic cases working in LA on top of any ENT and reconstruction surgeries. Plus, his connection isn't just to Addison since he went to school with Sam and Naomi as well. A bonus could've been the potential of Mark and Addison possibly ending up together, which would've been a nice full-circle. 

But I think once Grey's embarked on the "modern family" Callie/Arizona/Mark parental trio, that opportunity went out the window. Mark would never leave Sofia - or so tptb had said when explaining why they killed him off...🙄... Fast Forward 4 seasons when tptb had no problem having Callie/Arizona go through that OOC custody battle where they ended up having to split Sofia's time between Seattle and New York. 

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Moving Mark to Private Practice would've been great. He's in plastics, so he'd get a lot of cosmetic cases working in LA on top of any ENT and reconstruction surgeries. Plus, his connection isn't just to Addison since he went to school with Sam and Naomi as well. A bonus could've been the potential of Mark and Addison possibly ending up together, which would've been a nice full-circle. 

But I think once Grey's embarked on the "modern family" Callie/Arizona/Mark parental trio, that opportunity went out the window. Mark would never leave Sofia - or so tptb had said when explaining why they killed him off...🙄... Fast Forward 4 seasons when tptb had no problem having Callie/Arizona go through that OOC custody battle where they ended up having to split Sofia's time between Seattle and New York. 

The plane crash felt like they were not only trying to be "dramatic" but also clean house with the cast. Same with the shooting of almost ALL of the Mercy West doctors sans Sarah Drew (though what they did to her character, I think she would have wanted to go too). 

• Love 3

I just finished episode 19 of season 3, the one where George and Izzie hook up.  It felt wrong then and still feels completely wrong.  As a matter of fact, Grey's has a serious problem with close male/female friendships.  Nearly every close M/F friendship ended up as lovers.  George and Izzie, Jackson and April.  The only one I can recall that didn't was Meredith and Alex.  Of course, after 16 years, I might be forgetting one.

• Love 4

I am watching season 2 and Burke getting shot. I forgot how much of an asshole Cristina was to him during all of that.  While I loved Yang, I did not like how cold she was with him and just couldn't show any compassion to him during what could have been a life changjng event, he could have been paralyzed. Just be there for the dude. She was always there for Meredith and couldn't even be there the way her dude needed her to be.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 7:57 PM, toodywoody said:

I am watching season 2 and Burke getting shot. I forgot how much of an asshole Cristina was to him during all of that.  While I loved Yang, I did not like how cold she was with him and just couldn't show any compassion to him during what could have been a life changjng event, he could have been paralyzed. Just be there for the dude. She was always there for Meredith and couldn't even be there the way her dude needed her to be.

It seemed like she just couldn't handle the thought of something happening to him, so she ran away. Not that it excuses her actions. I'm watching the episodes where she's just starting to get involved with Owen, and she seems much more compassionate and *there* for his struggles. Growth maybe?

• Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 7:57 PM, toodywoody said:

I have to say that is consistent. because when Meredith drowned, Cristina split. I think it just brought her back to when she lost her father, and I liked the consistency there. At the end of the day - she did go to him. 

• Love 3

Ack, why doesn't Izzie, I don't know, ask her friends, the residents, or perhaps the oncologist (or dermatologist?) she met with to figure out what's going on with her? Why would she trust the interns? She's wasting valuable time! Not that I like her very much, and I know what happens, but this just seems so stupid to me...I know she might not want to accept that something's wrong, but she's a doctor! In a (supposedly) well-renowned hospital. She has access to all kinds of experts. OK, rant over.

Also, that PP crossover was so sad and also confirmed that I have no desire to rewatch Private Practice, because those characters are really annoying together!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

Ack, why doesn't Izzie, I don't know, ask her friends, the residents, or perhaps the oncologist (or dermatologist?) she met with to figure out what's going on with her? Why would she trust the interns? She's wasting valuable time! Not that I like her very much, and I know what happens, but this just seems so stupid to me...I know she might not want to accept that something's wrong, but she's a doctor! In a (supposedly) well-renowned hospital. She has access to all kinds of experts. OK, rant over.

Also, that PP crossover was so sad and also confirmed that I have no desire to rewatch Private Practice, because those characters are really annoying together!

Even more it's been going on ever since then. You have main cast members going about asking the WRONG people what's wrong with them or what to do. They come off as idiots and beating the tired cliche "doctors are horrible when THEY are sick" into the ground. It's like what just happened with Richard this past season with his losing his mind. Everyone kept acting like it was alzheimer's when it DOESN'T hit you like that. There are slow signs and other pieces, they did a better job with how Elias started losing it or even Adele. Yet with Richard everyone was: "Well, it's our OLD foe alzheimer's  acting up again." Same with Andrew Deluca's bipolarism. They kept going: "what's wrong with him." When it was beaten over the head he might be bipolar or something and has a family history of it. Yet it was constantly: "Go home and think about what you did wrong!" HELP THEM DAMMIT!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

let me save you time. i'm nearly done my PP watch through.you really aren't missing much.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, readster said:

Even more it's been going on ever since then. You have main cast members going about asking the WRONG people what's wrong with them or what to do. They come off as idiots and beating the tired cliche "doctors are horrible when THEY are sick" into the ground. It's like what just happened with Richard this past season with his losing his mind. Everyone kept acting like it was alzheimer's when it DOESN'T hit you like that. There are slow signs and other pieces, they did a better job with how Elias started losing it or even Adele. Yet with Richard everyone was: "Well, it's our OLD foe alzheimer's  acting up again." Same with Andrew Deluca's bipolarism. They kept going: "what's wrong with him." When it was beaten over the head he might be bipolar or something and has a family history of it. Yet it was constantly: "Go home and think about what you did wrong!" HELP THEM DAMMIT!

Good points on both Richard and Deluca.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, MarylandGirl said:

Good points on both Richard and Deluca.

Using meltrosis for Richard was actually a pretty good idea, but they had it where ONLY Meredith is going: "This isn't alzheimer's." Yet everyone, especially Catherine are: "Yes it is, stop thinking it isn't!" For Deluca, after his melt down with the human trafficer, plus the fact that it was revealed to be true. Deluca's sister and Bailey should have marched Andrew right down to psych and sat him down and gone: "He is possibly bi-polar, has a family history and just had an panic episode. FIGURE THIS OUT NOW!" No it was: "You are suspended." and where does his sister go? "Oh, I have to be on Station 19 to deal with my girlfriend's denial of being mentally abused and have hot lesbian sex with her. Sorry bro."

• Love 2

Mid-way through season five and just finished the episode where Addison came back with her brother with the brain worms.

Were that whole group from Private Practice obnoxious as hell or what?  "Hey, we know you love Meredith and were planning to propose to her, but let's remind you, Derek, of the song you wrote for Addison where you promised to stay with her until death."  And they even got Mark in on it!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, madmax said:

Mid-way through season five and just finished the episode where Addison came back with her brother with the brain worms.

Were that whole group from Private Practice obnoxious as hell or what?  "Hey, we know you love Meredith and were planning to propose to her, but let's remind you, Derek, of the song you wrote for Addison where you promised to stay with her until death."  And they even got Mark in on it!

Yep, and Addison was with someone else at the time, wasn't she? I liked who she ended up with on Private Practice. 

• Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 1:59 AM, Anela said:

Yep, and Addison was with someone else at the time, wasn't she? I liked who she ended up with on Private Practice. 

I stopped watching Private Practice midway through the second season, I think.  Did she end up with Tim Daly's character?  I did like him, but I've always liked him in everything I've seen him in.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, madmax said:

I stopped watching Private Practice midway through the second season, I think.  Did she end up with Tim Daly's character?  I did like him, but I've always liked him in everything I've seen him in.

Benjamin Bratt. 🙂

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Anela said:

Benjamin Bratt. 🙂

It's so funny how critics and audiences just go all over shows when they have the main character have or adopt a baby. Yet here it just felt very natural and they were able to incorporate it seamlessly and had the baby enough where it didn't feel like a plot point or: "Where is Alison's kid?" Other shows should take note. 

• Love 2

I always thought it was weird how everyone in Derek & Addison's life just seemed to think he was too harsh to divorce her and wanted them back together. I mean I loved Addison and she and Derek did have great chemistry. But SHE SLEPT WITH HIS BEST FRIEND. And he caught them together! In his own house! If it had been a different type of affair maaayyybe I could have seen their friends circle and Derek's sisters wanting him to forgive her but it always felt like their reactions made no sense considering what went down. And how broken Derek was about it. They all just seemed like really shitty friends and family instead.

If I caught my partner and my best friend together, I'd never want to talk to either of them again and I'd damn well expect my friends & family to back me up there.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, KatWay said:

I always thought it was weird how everyone in Derek & Addison's life just seemed to think he was too harsh to divorce her and wanted them back together. I mean I loved Addison and she and Derek did have great chemistry. But SHE SLEPT WITH HIS BEST FRIEND. And he caught them together! In his own house! If it had been a different type of affair maaayyybe I could have seen their friends circle and Derek's sisters wanting him to forgive her but it always felt like their reactions made no sense considering what went down. And how broken Derek was about it. They all just seemed like really shitty friends and family instead.

If I caught my partner and my best friend together, I'd never want to talk to either of them again and I'd damn well expect my friends & family to back me up there.

No kidding and even when Derek's sister went: "Come on, you have to sleep with Mark, it's a right of passage, even I have." There is another rule, don't go sleeping with your best friend's sibling. It's like the stupidity of what happened between Richard and Adele, they didn't have children because Richard didn't want to with her. They proved and said they had no fertility issues, yet Adele was a "house wife" when they had no children after Richard became chief. I could see deciding to take time off, but you don't spend almost 20 years not working when you were not only a nurse, but a department manager. I mean, the hell?

• Love 6

Apparently I completely blocked out that Teddy and Mark had a relationship for a bit. Perhaps that's for the best...

And watching the episode with the guy whose wife had to be taken off life support (after they said they'd removed the whole tumor), I was like, "Hm, he seems really familiar...oh, right...."

• Love 3
12 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Apparently I completely blocked out that Teddy and Mark had a relationship for a bit. Perhaps that's for the best...

And watching the episode with the guy whose wife had to be taken off life support (after they said they'd removed the whole tumor), I was like, "Hm, he seems really familiar...oh, right...."

Oh no don't forget, the true love of Teddy's life was a woman who cheated on her girlfriend who died in 9/11.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, readster said:

Oh no don't forget, the true love of Teddy's life was a woman who cheated on her girlfriend who died in 9/11.

That did cross my mind at one point while watching. Nice ret-conning. They could have at least shown her having some sort of interest in Callie, Arizona, or a female patient in her first stint on the show...

Oh wait, was that supposed to be the "best friend" who died that's the reason she was wearing the bird scrub hat? I guess they at least  made some sort of reference to her early on...

5 hours ago, readster said:

I'm either completely blocking this out or it was from one of the seasons I didn't really watch.  When was this revealed?

8 hours ago, deaja said:

I'm either completely blocking this out or it was from one of the seasons I didn't really watch.  When was this revealed?

It was just this past season.  And yeah, came out of nowhere.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, deaja said:

It came out, when they decided to have Teddy cheat on Owen. The guy she'd pined for, for years, and openly contested Cristina for, at times. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Anela said:

It came out, when they decided to have Teddy cheat on Owen. The guy she'd pined for, for years, and openly contested Cristina for, at times. 

Teddy cheated on Owen?  Man, I'm glad I stopped watching at the point where Alex left last season.  It seems to have continued to go off the rails.

17 minutes ago, deaja said:

Teddy cheated on Owen?  Man, I'm glad I stopped watching at the point where Alex left last season.  It seems to have continued to go off the rails.

No kidding and this from a woman who apparently married "a man" so he would have health insurance and because she "loved him" and then was broken up when he died. But forget that, I mean Teddy apparently went to men because her "true love" died in 9/11. Kind of like how Callie went for men constantly until Eric Hunn "opened her eyes" to love. Especially when Hunn even told Christina: "I prefer men." As rubbing it to her that she couldn't sleep with her like she did with past teachers. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Anela said:

I found this very hard to take.  Teddy, who I never really cared for anyway, finally got the man she wanted, then decides to have a fling with Koracick of all people.  

I get that the show is a drama and all that, but it doesn't have to be a "drama."

• Love 1
10 hours ago, madmax said:

I found this very hard to take.  Teddy, who I never really cared for anyway, finally got the man she wanted, then decides to have a fling with Koracick of all people.  

I get that the show is a drama and all that, but it doesn't have to be a "drama."

I think they wanted people to like Owen, and this was the best way to do it - or at least sympathize with him. I found it hard to take, too, but that was my first thought. I respected her when she told him to leave, when he flew to Germany, and she found out that was Amelia's idea. 

Speaking of Amelia, I liked the guy she was with at the end of Private Practice, although I wasn't giving it my full attention. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Anela said:

I think they wanted people to like Owen, and this was the best way to do it - or at least sympathize with him. I found it hard to take, too, but that was my first thought. I respected her when she told him to leave, when he flew to Germany, and she found out that was Amelia's idea. 

Speaking of Amelia, I liked the guy she was with at the end of Private Practice, although I wasn't giving it my full attention. 

Right, poor Matt Long, always liked him as an actor, but ABC would give him a show and then it either got cancelled or WOULD BE cancelled for ratings. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm totally in the minority, because I always liked Owen.  Except with the Cristina pregnancy story line.  He knew what he was getting into with Cristina.

On another note, I just finished season 5 and again, I cried when George was revealed to be John Doe.  The only time I have ever cried while watching a television show.  Every time I watch it, I cry.  Probably shouldn't have watched it during my lunch hour since I had to go into a Zoom meeting after and everyone was wondering why I looked so bad. 😄

• Love 4

I agree about the Derek and Addison situation and all the friends and family loving her. I didn't really hate any of the characters. But Derek's sister annoyed me when she came to town and was all nice to Mark and Addy. I get you have known and loved them for years, but you don't care about how your brother feels? He has every right to hate both of them for cheating on him. And I hated her calling Meredith the "slutty intern" and dismissing her when they met. Derek left Addison for cheating, and she didn't know he was married initially! Then Derek broke her heart and went back to Addy. I know they slept together while he was trying to work his marriage out, but still. How dare you treat Meredith like crap(who you don't even know) and dismiss Derek's feelings, while making excuses for Mark and Addison. 

• Love 7

I just made it to the musical episode.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I loved this the first time it aired and have watched it multiple times since.  I even bought the damn soundtrack!

Yes, it was kinda cheesy and IMO some of it didn't really work, but I totally loved it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, madmax said:

I just made it to the musical episode.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I loved this the first time it aired and have watched it multiple times since.  I even bought the damn soundtrack!

Yes, it was kinda cheesy and IMO some of it didn't really work, but I totally loved it.

I actually skipped it the first time it was on because I figured it would be really painful. Then on my recent rewatch, I decided to watch it and actually enjoyed much of it. Some parts definitely worked better than others. I tried to find a couple of the songs for download (particularly "How to Save a Life") but was unsuccessful.

• Love 1

Just finished season 7 and I think that's where my Derek hatred finally manifested itself.  Yes, Meredith messed with the trial (for good reason) but he was a real ass to her, not caring that she got fired, not showing up when Meredith got Zola.  Yeah, I was not sad to see him go.  At all.

Another observation, which I'm sure has been made multiple times but...did these doctors ever hear of birth control?  How many unintentional pregnancies did this show go through?  And how many were Christina's, who never wanted kids ever?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, madmax said:

Just finished season 7 and I think that's where my Derek hatred finally manifested itself.  Yes, Meredith messed with the trial (for good reason) but he was a real ass to her, not caring that she got fired, not showing up when Meredith got Zola.  Yeah, I was not sad to see him go.  At all.

Another observation, which I'm sure has been made multiple times but...did these doctors ever hear of birth control?  How many unintentional pregnancies did this show go through?  And how many were Christina's, who never wanted kids ever?

His not showing up when she got Zola was really awful, especially considering he was the one who initially suggested the adoption. And he often seemed so condescending toward her. I think watching the episodes in rapid succession, instead of weekly over the course of multiple seasons, made him seem like more of a jerk, particularly to Meredith, but also in general.

Also wondering about all the unintended pregnancies--it's not like they wouldn't have great access to or knowledge about various forms of birth control. And I don't feel like they ever said anything like, "I was on the pill, how did this happen?" or "I was worried because the condom broke" or something.

• Love 4
On 8/27/2020 at 2:05 PM, MarylandGirl said:

His not showing up when she got Zola was really awful, especially considering he was the one who initially suggested the adoption. And he often seemed so condescending toward her. I think watching the episodes in rapid succession, instead of weekly over the course of multiple seasons, made him seem like more of a jerk, particularly to Meredith, but also in general.

It makes it really obvious when watching in rapid succession, but I wasn't a fan of his in the original run.  I didn't remember the other thing I really hated about the Zola adoption - Meredith was already freaking out that she wouldn't be a good mother and he just left her to deal with Zola on her own.  God, he was such a jackass.  I'm actually counting down the episodes until the plug pulling. 😆

• Love 3
On 8/27/2020 at 1:05 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Also wondering about all the unintended pregnancies--it's not like they wouldn't have great access to or knowledge about various forms of birth control. And I don't feel like they ever said anything like, "I was on the pill, how did this happen?" or "I was worried because the condom broke" or something.

Nope, unless it's a major plot point, everyone just whips it out anywhere and goes for it. Or drops pants at the drop of the hat and then is: "Wait, how did I get preggers?"

• Love 2

Partway through season 8 now (conjoined twins episode). I love Ben--that is all. I mean, I know he eventually becomes an issue with all his career changes, but he seems to be just what Bailey needs here. And his being hot is a bonus!

Also, Teddy's having Christina keep repeating everything that happened in Henry's surgery was just brutal...

• Love 3

At the end of season 8, right before the plane crash.

I hated it when Jackson and April got together.  yes, I know, so many people loved Japril and all that, but I really liked them as friends.  And there was no lead up to it, either.  It was just "Ooh, I want to be bad and forget I love Jesus, c'mere, Jackson!" and he went like an obedient puppy.

Derek's just making me hate him more and more.  "We're going to Boston."  Asshat.

• Love 2