Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

• Start Topic

I’m rewatching and it’s sort of amazing how some of the characters have changed over the years.  I’m in the early episodes of season 10 when Maggie comes on the scene. It’s funny how she seemed almost mature and above the nonsense in the beginning compared with the silly gossip she turns into by season 15. 

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I’m also watching early seasons of ER. Even with the technology of the 90’s as opposed to the slick nature of Grey’s, I’m just amazed with what a superior show ER is, especially in the beginning.  Tighter stories, better acting, more realism and doctors that aren’t constantly screaming what astoundingly great medical gods they are.  I cannot tell you how much that annoys me.  

• Love 10
16 hours ago, limecoke said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I’m also watching early seasons of ER. Even with the technology of the 90’s as opposed to the slick nature of Grey’s, I’m just amazed with what a superior show ER is, especially in the beginning.  Tighter stories, better acting, more realism and doctors that aren’t constantly screaming what astoundingly great medical gods they are.  I cannot tell you how much that annoys me.  

Which is very ironic, be cause in it's final few seasons, ER had gone over to less tighter stories and ones that dragged on. It was at one point why Grey's and House became popular medical shows. They moved to more interpersonal relationships and dealing with under handness and people being more fallible. The problem was, both ER and House even with ratings knew to call it quits as the writing had gotten to a point of no return. Grey's moved that point about 4 years ago, and yet here they still are. Compared to the first 8 years when the show was in it's prime. 

• Love 4

Which is exactly why I specified “early seasons.”  All tv shows go stale eventually.  The Brits figured this out ages ago and their better TV shows always leave you wanting more.  Grey’s went past it’s sell-by years ago.   

Rewatching is interesting.  I haven’t changed my dislike of Meredith (she’s insufferable), but some of the other characters seemed more tolerable and showed some growth.  I always regret that Grey’s lost Burke and George.  They were both really complex.  It’s a shame that whole thing happened.

• Love 5

Not sure if this the appropriate thread to post this on, if it’s not the moderators can move it. Has any one noticed how many similarities there are between Jack Person and Derek Shepherd. Another one just hit me tonight. They both have these dark hair, dreamy looks and handsomeness going on for them.  They have create kind these unrealistic lead male love interests I them. Obviously they love their respective wives, make this grand gestures and speeches all the time. They are loved by the audience about how much they love their wives and kids. You can see their flaws but accept them because it makes them human. They are driven. They both had untimely deaths, much debated on how it was handled on each show. And both said deaths were kind of big media phenomenons. They have 3 kids, one of them adopted and black, and would try to  make the kids not face any hardship. We saw Jack with Randle on several occasions, Derek learning how to do Zola’s hair, wanting Maggie in her life. I do think if we had seen Derek more around when Zola was older we could have seen more poignant scenes. I am sure there are a lot more similarities, I though off them another time but I don’t seem to recall them at the moment. Although another one that hit me this week and that inspired this post,  both their widows could potential have Alzheimer’s, and these guys won’t be there for it, and I would guess Meredith and Rebecca would have a lot of flashbacks to that time of their lives. Anyhow food for thought, hehehehe. Feel free to add your thoughts, I just had to get it out somewhere because it has been in my head for a while. 

Also it doesn't help with all the promos that Milo and Patrick did together for their movie lol.

I am doing a rewatch.    Not always watching, but it's nice to have on, when I'm doing other things.  I can't believe how insufferable so many of these characters are.  I am to the Sex with Dead Denny part, the interns recently did an appy on another intern. Good grief. That character, Sadie, took the scalpel and sliced herself, when Lexie was chickening out. Well I should say,  coming to her senses.  

I know it's a tv drama but they are all so full of themselves and act like children, at work, at home, everywhere.   Izzie is horrible.  All the stuff with George and Callie and then she  disappears when she's supposed to be at work, so she can screw her dead fiance.   Why was it ok for her to not answer her pages?  What a terrible character.  

They are all so self absorbed,  but each one is the best in their  field.   Or they want to be.  

Well maybe as surgeons, they are incredibly talented, but as human beings, they suck.  And I am saying this fully realizing that this is not real, and  I hope and pray not how actual medical professionals act.  

In rewatching season 2 (well the old Grey's) and and i think they had a few missteps (also there are some echoes in this season as well with Glasses + Izzie. 

First of all, I truly believe that they missed the boat in actually firing Izzie. In no realm of possibility should she have been allowed to work at Seattle Grace with what she pulled with Denny and the LVAD wire. And the fact that Denny gave her the money to run the clinic - if she didn't lose her medical lisence for stealing said heart, they could have still had her be in and around the hospital running the the clinic permanently. and I think because of that miss-step all the other serious crossing the medical line (Meredith tampering with the Alzheimer's study, Bailey shooting up a kid with HIV/AIDS, Meredith committing insurance fraud) they do these big dramatic things and there's no consequences. Even with the insurance fraud, there were no consequences to note. and those would have been better stories to tell. 

I keep wondering if they shoulda Killed Denny (I get why - every patient Izzie got close to that season died, because the lesson was Izzie needed to learn how to separate herself from her patients, a lesson she never really learned ever during her entire run of the show. (and it pisses me off that the show doubled down on that "Denny was the Love of her life." when  they knew nothing about each other outside of being patient and doctor.  had he lived (and she had to actually "live" for a few months and they realised they had NOTHING in common and it was just "romantic doctor/patient love story," and Izzie realised she stole a heart for a fantasy- i think that would have resonated a lot deeper with Izzie and have her grow up from being this judgemental cow . but the thing is. the entire season there were people screaming at Izzie to be more professional. The fact that only now Owen is doing the same thing with Schdmitt is mind boggling. Why aren't more getting on the guy that he's not professional nor is not cut out to be a surgeon? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Daisy said:

The fact that only now Owen is doing the same thing with Schdmitt is mind boggling. Why aren't more getting on the guy that he's not professional nor is not cut out to be a surgeon? 

Completely agree it also goes back to what's his name who got patients killed and finally got fired from Alex when he failed to do a diagnosis on a patient thinking he was snorting coke. I mean come on! They just had it where his brother sued the hospital to get rehired after he was "rightfully fired" to Alex doing it and no problem what's so ever. Here with Schdmitt, it's the same thing. They would chuckle at him when he pass out from just seeing a little blood. Yet instead of laugh no one went: "How the hell did you even make it through medical school?" Then his back story just makes him some cliche loser, it doesn't make us feel sorry for him, it just makes him look like an idiot who would have NEVER made it pass his internship let alone be let into a surgical program. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, readster said:

Completely agree it also goes back to what's his name who got patients killed and finally got fired from Alex when he failed to do a diagnosis on a patient thinking he was snorting coke. I mean come on! They just had it where his brother sued the hospital to get rehired after he was "rightfully fired" to Alex doing it and no problem what's so ever. Here with Schdmitt, it's the same thing. They would chuckle at him when he pass out from just seeing a little blood. Yet instead of laugh no one went: "How the hell did you even make it through medical school?" Then his back story just makes him some cliche loser, it doesn't make us feel sorry for him, it just makes him look like an idiot who would have NEVER made it pass his internship let alone be let into a surgical program. 

I just remember, when Lexie was crying when they were cleaning  someone's burns. And Arizona totally lost it on her - and basically said as doctors they don't get to cry and feel sorry they have to be strong for the patient, because THEY are hurt, THEY are scared and THEY have to live with it. and if she (Lexie) couldn't do her job, go find someone who could. 

it was a serious come to Jesus moment for Lexie. 

I will bet you a dollar when this starts in Fall, Schdmit will whinge how Owen was mean to him and this isn't fair. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Daisy said:

I just remember, when Lexie was crying when they were cleaning  someone's burns. And Arizona totally lost it on her - and basically said as doctors they don't get to cry and feel sorry they have to be strong for the patient, because THEY are hurt, THEY are scared and THEY have to live with it. and if she (Lexie) couldn't do her job, go find someone who could. 

it was a serious come to Jesus moment for Lexie. 

I will bet you a dollar when this starts in Fall, Schdmit will whinge how Owen was mean to him and this isn't fair. 

Oh I remember. The problem is, you actually liked Lexie and got where she was coming from and earlier in her surgical career. Schmidt is honestly at the end of his rotation, I would have loved it if Owen would have added: "How the hell did you even get this far?" 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, readster said:

Oh I remember. The problem is, you actually liked Lexie and got where she was coming from and earlier in her surgical career. Schmidt is honestly at the end of his rotation, I would have loved it if Owen would have added: "How the hell did you even get this far?" 

i would have loved that. 
(because i'm wondering about this too)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Daisy said:

i would have loved that. 
(because i'm wondering about this too)

It kind of also goes back to that group of interns that were performing surgery on themselves that were under Christina. You got that Christina wasn't that great of a teacher, she wanted the surgeries more than actually teaching. HOWEVER, how were these guys just grabbing and do surgical kits, items and later drugs to perform an appendix surgery on Meredith's FORMER friend. I know it's a TV show, but you have inventory, areas that are used by staff constantly. You just don't DO IT and have everyone turn heads.

Schmidt since day was has been shown to make Inspector Gadget look like a top surgeon. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, readster said:

It kind of also goes back to that group of interns that were performing surgery on themselves that were under Christina. You got that Christina wasn't that great of a teacher, she wanted the surgeries more than actually teaching. HOWEVER, how were these guys just grabbing and do surgical kits, items and later drugs to perform an appendix surgery on Meredith's FORMER friend. I know it's a TV show, but you have inventory, areas that are used by staff constantly. You just don't DO IT and have everyone turn heads.

Schmidt since day was has been shown to make Inspector Gadget look like a top surgeon. 

exactly. like. i love my shows, and I don't mind drama but sometimes realism wouldbe lovely. I know we always talk about how Webber is Chief of Surgery  - and it's actually kind of funny because some episodes he goes "No i don't run the whole hospital, just my surgical floor" and then it's "EVERYTHING GOES THROUGH ME" 

like no one missed the missing stuff? (esp. when Addison had poison oak on her girl parts, Miranda was flat out all "I'm stealing this from the hospital, it's gonna be missed?"

other things that the show kinda stopped having are the M&Ms (which imo is kinda needed in this hospital), and just showing OTHER people in the specialities. like. you'd honestly think that GSM is a private practice (bahbumbish), considering there's never other attendings, or anything like that. at least in the old days there were other OB-GYNS, and neuros and cardio people. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

exactly. like. i love my shows, and I don't mind drama but sometimes realism would be lovely. I know we always talk about how Webber is Chief of Surgery  - and it's actually kind of funny because some episodes he goes "No i don't run the whole hospital, just my surgical floor" and then it's "EVERYTHING GOES THROUGH ME" 

I know, even when Owen was chief they had it where he "couldn't handle" the bureaucracy of the hospital, but at the same time: "THAT'S NOT HIS JOB!" Even when he was doing that press conference about the girl that escaped from her abuser after a decade. He was frozen by the reporters. He would not be even speaking to these people. It would be the officer in charge and the PR or head of the department treating her. It would have been one thing if she immediately went into the surgery, then that is his job to talk about the treatments. However, at that point the girl was still being evaluated and even more. Where were the damn case workers. This girl went through over a decade of mistreatment, sexual abuse and imprisonment. Yet, it's just the interns and other doctors listening to her story? The hell? Don't go talking about a psychiatric services section of a hospital and then either never use them or act like the doctors here would rather let their patients suffer and die and do not care. 

Also during re-watch. man it emphasized how much i hated Derek. 

While i don't condone the cheating, Addison made it extremely clear that she was feeling ignored, unappreciated and unwanted by Derek. "You just walk away!" (to quote Addison). he didn't tell Merdith he was married (which he was). he massively slut shamed Meredith, he got pissed at Addison for doing the same thing he was doing with Meredith like. go kick a massive rock, Derek. (and we're not even at the part where he kills that patient and goes all mountain man). 

or Rose. 

(at the very least, Meredith should have dated Finn (and other people). but i thin they were going with "Derek made the mistake, so Meredith chose right." angle). 

• Love 3

Something I don't like. 
(and yes  I get Mark had an affair etc) but they always had all these people sleep around, Meredith etc (and then being all "you don't get to call me a whore.") but Mark was equally open with loving/having sex for legitimatelly the same reasons as Meredith - wanting to find someone who actually truly loved him and fix the broken etc

and people just brushed it off, and called him a man-whore. scuzzy or not, if Mark was a woman everyone would be pulling out their pitchforks,but since it's Mark it's played for laughs.  (I know in a later season Mark is sad that the woman he respects the most (Bailey)  basically doubled down this sentiment and that's basically when things shifted for the most part, but still). 

• Love 3
On 4/23/2020 at 1:50 PM, Daisy said:

Also during re-watch. man it emphasized how much i hated Derek. 

While i don't condone the cheating, Addison made it extremely clear that she was feeling ignored, unappreciated and unwanted by Derek. "You just walk away!" (to quote Addison). he didn't tell Merdith he was married (which he was). he massively slut shamed Meredith, he got pissed at Addison for doing the same thing he was doing with Meredith like. go kick a massive rock, Derek. (and we're not even at the part where he kills that patient and goes all mountain man). 

or Rose. 

(at the very least, Meredith should have dated Finn (and other people). but i thin they were going with "Derek made the mistake, so Meredith chose right." angle). 

I hated Derek after a while, too. How he would tell her that he wanted to marry her, and build a life together, but that was too much for her - so instead of just being there, and building trust, he dates Rose. He gives her every reason to not trust him (including hiding the fact that he was married, as you said). 

I also hated that therapy for Meredith, was all about him. They covered her mother, too, but it was just so that she could get together with him. I preferred Finn. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Anela said:

I hated Derek after a while, too. How he would tell her that he wanted to marry her, and build a life together, but that was too much for her - so instead of just being there, and building trust, he dates Rose. He gives her every reason to not trust him (including hiding the fact that he was married, as you said). 

I also hated that therapy for Meredith, was all about him. They covered her mother, too, but it was just so that she could get together with him. I preferred Finn. 

Right? Like - that's why i've always said. Whatever they wanted relationship/OTP to be, the moment he slut shamed her, and reinforced a lot of Meredith's issues -pretty much killed the relationship for me. Again - not a big fan of cheating (at all) but I think from a storytelling PoV it would have been a lot better  thematically if they had Meredith with Finn for about a season + a half, Addison and Derek legitimately trying here - and then Meredith and Derek having their on call room thing, semi-affair sort of like Big + Carrie from sex and the city. Like prove to me that this relationship is awesome and can rise above. something. )

anyhoo - season 3 re-watch done - (it was kinda funny seeing my thoughts in this thread lol). 

as an older/wiser Daisy. ahhaha.  here are my cents. 

1: Izzie is a person who clearly can not be alone. (she's basically Derek, as Nancy also told Derek he can't be alone). Season 1: Hockey Player/Alex. Season 2: Alex to Denny. Season 3. Insta luuuvvvv with George. 

And the thing is - the BFF ❤️ thing wouldn't even bother me so much because best friends do fall in love etc, but the thing is - to me.  it strives from Izzy not being able to be alone and she's "grieving" Denny and she needs to have someone to fix and Nurture. 

George is broken and while I think Callie was damned stupid to marry him when he was clearly hurting, Izzie flat out says that this is basically because of his dad - and she's still pushing how she LOVES him and needs to be with him. like. let the boy breathe here. 

Also - for point of record - it drives me crazy that Duquette incident basically gets brushed of as "an incident" like. this happens- nor do we ever get people asking Izzie questions - starting with - why the hell do you think UNOS clocks people in by the second - toprevent them from playing God like you did.  this whole season should have been (if Not Izzie being fired - izzie being on probation and being grateful to be able to practice medicine and realising she liked being in the clinic)

2: Cristina + Burke. 
I liked Burke, but quite frankly. on the rewatch (again, again) he kept blaming everything on Cristina. the tremour, hiding it, etc etc. Cristina showed more maturity in that relationship than he did.And the very fact that she said she loved him, wanted to marry him (even though she wasn't big on the institution)and said "let's just keep it simple) - and he decided to call mothers, and have it become this WEDDING vs. the two of them. just showed how selfish he was. even his end speech - was wrong. Cristina was ready for it. she didn't need to be convinced to go down the aisle (to him) she was freaking out over the whole dram-ah of it all and needed a moment. the fact that he couldn't even grasp things from her pov at all... whatever. 

3: Ava + Alex and Duquette 2.0. 
the fact that people encouraged Alex to get involved makes me eye roll, and I can't even even with it.  so i'm not going to talk about it

4: Derek. 
He basically whined all season, he's not chief, bullied  Webber into naming him Chief and then was named Chief, and was like naaah i'm god. (and the fact that Webber re-became chief after getting Adele was stupidness. They easily could have made him into what he was now (Resident/Intern Teacher) and have someone else be Chief

(as well as  still frustrating as all hell that no one told Shonda that the Chief of Surgery was in charge of the department. not the whole hospital, and if you have to charm the board - the Chief of Surgery isn't "naming' his successor. a Principal doesn't hire his own replacement here). 

it's also frustrating that everything with Meredith - he made it about himself. 
Meredith said she wanted to date and start fresh. he pushed hard. Then she has a depresssive episode, and instead of encouraging her to see a shrink it's all "but she knew how to swim. I can't breath for you." (like is that really someone you want for you or your loved one?) Meredith's mom dies (about Derek). Meredith's Susan dies (about Derek). Meredith's dad hits her (about Derek). Meredith doesn't take the test (about Derek) and its like "you never push your friends away" - no she does. (they all do) the thing is they always sit there. they are always there. she pushes and you slink off and pout and look off intot he distance and whine about how meredith doesn't need you.  she needs you you dummby. 

5: Susan. 
this is again just going too fast. why did Susan have to die (I mean i know they want to make it that family is what you choose etc, and we don't do mothers) - but Susan didn't have to die this season. 

also. how was adele pregnant? (By richard)
i mean they weren't together the ENTIRE season - and i get season 2/3 was "one year" but season 2 made it really clear he wasn't really going home and Adele was on vacation, and then always trying to get a hold of him. like. how?

there are more but i spoke about it already. 

(I also think- season 1 being only 12-13 episodes really hurt seasons 2 and 3. Both seasons were way too long (grey's seasons in general are too long) - but had season 1 been a standard 21-22  - i think there would have been a lot more ground work for a lot of the issues that are in seasons 2-3).

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 3

Derek just never felt like a fully fledged character to me except for when he was dealing with Addison wanting to reconcile and having Meredith, and that was actually a good storyline for him. Cause Addison did try and was charming and they had so much history, but in his heart he couldn't forgive her (understandably, IMO. Cheating isn't something most people can get over). So his struggle there between his wife of so many years, who he hadn't really dealt with yet, emotionally, and his new girlfriend who made him happy, actually felt real.

I mean he may have been neglecting Addie but she slept with his best friend, had an actual affair with his best friend, that's a LOT. Sorry, but emotional neglect doesn't justify that. Dump him, talk to him, give him an ultimatum, don't sleep with his longtime bestie.

As for Mark, eh, fuck that guy. He was awful. He had an affair with Addie, cheated on HER too despite loving her so much he threw away a 20+ year friendship for her, came to Seattle, made a speech about wanting to be friends with Derek again yet tried AGAIN to snatch his wife, then repeatedly hit on his new girlfriend for good measure and was generally an ass all around but to Derek specifically. Their reconciliation in S4 always felt unearned to me. What good reason would someone like Derek have to ever trust Mark again? With a friend like that, who needs enemies.

Other than that, Derek mostly seemed like a plot device for Meredith. If he did something, it was more about how it would affect her, then their family, than any actual exploration of his character.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, KatWay said:

As for Mark, eh, fuck that guy. He was awful. He had an affair with Addie, cheated on HER too despite loving her so much he threw away a 20+ year friendship for her, came to Seattle, made a speech about wanting to be friends with Derek again yet tried AGAIN to snatch his wife, then repeatedly hit on his new girlfriend for good measure and was generally an ass all around but to Derek specifically. Their reconciliation in S4 always felt unearned to me. What good reason would someone like Derek have to ever trust Mark again? With a friend like that, who needs enemies.

Other than that, Derek mostly seemed like a plot device for Meredith. If he did something, it was more about how it would affect her, then their family, than any actual exploration of his character.

I always found it hollow when Derek told Meredith about "I have responsibilities" about Addison, when their marriage was pretty much threw. Plus, the fact that Addie thought she could just turn back time, couldn't tell him Mark was living with her, she was even pregnant with his child. Even in that odd dream that Meredith had a few years ago, who's baby was it? It was Mark's... again. I loved Addison, but like everyone else on the Grey's Universe shows, they were obsessed with sex. 

• Love 2

I've been watching the first few seasons again. It bugs me that George didn't give Izzie crap over her relationship with Denny (and his asking her to marry him, when they barely knew each other), yet she shits all over his marriage to Callie (and Callie in general). 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 2:15 PM, readster said:

I always found it hollow when Derek told Meredith about "I have responsibilities" about Addison, when their marriage was pretty much threw. Plus, the fact that Addie thought she could just turn back time, couldn't tell him Mark was living with her, she was even pregnant with his child. Even in that odd dream that Meredith had a few years ago, who's baby was it? It was Mark's... again. I loved Addison, but like everyone else on the Grey's Universe shows, they were obsessed with sex. 

I mean it felt like a contrived obstacle for Mer and Derek and their relationship, cause they had no plot otherwise, although I think the actors did their best to make it work. And I could sort of handwave it, Derek believed it was a one time thing (that Addison didn't tell him the truth is awful as hell IMO) resulting from his neglect, and he had dealt with it by running away, so not at all. I could buy that he was only now coming to terms with the end of his marriage, that having Addison there again, trying so hard, could make him waver.

And Addison realised she'd made a mistake with Mark, and so her desire to just undo the whole thing and pretend like it never happened also kinda made sense from a character POV. Shitty, but somewhat plausible.

Edited by KatWay
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KatWay said:

I mean it felt like a contrived obstacle for Mer and Derek and their relationship, cause they had no plot otherwise, although I think the actors did their best to make it work. And I could sort of handwave it, Derek believed it was a one time thing (that Addison didn't tell him the truth is awful as hell IMO) resulting from his neglect, and he had dealt with it by running away, so not at all. I could buy that he was only now coming to terms with the end of his marriage, that having Addison there again, trying so hard, could make him waver.

And Addison realised she'd made a mistake with Mark, and so her desire to just undo the whole thing and pretend like it never happened also kinda made sense from a character POV. Shitty, but somewhat plausible.

Yeah, true and even having Richard in the middle of it because he felt "guilty" of his past affair with Elis and she was now around again thinking it was the early 1980s again. I just found it unbelievable that Richard and Adele never had children during their years together. Even with Richard telling Elis if they would have ended up together they would have had children (Maggie of course would have happened in that timeline). Especially considering that Thatcher was remarried and had two more daughters himself. Then to throw in that Adele just happened to get pregnant at 50 from apparently a one nighter with Richard during their separation. That never made any sense. 

• Love 1

The wife and I were watching the end of season 1 this weekend since there isn't really anything left on TV now and we are trying to avoid too much streaming time as an example to our son. I have to say you see how things changed by the end of season 1 into season 2, but also how there were really NO well thought out ideas. Richard's tumor originally him worrying about the hospital board telling him to step down as chief and that "the vultures will be circling for my job". Turned to be crap when it was really Adele he was most worried about. Even more the fact when she does appear, how he ever THOUGHT he could hide being away from the house up to three days. Even how both Derrick and Meredith were: "If something went wrong, she is your wife, why wouldn't we contact her?" Even Baily's reaction was: "You have one seriously screwed up marriage." 

You see how far Alex came, but seeing "siph nurse" who showed back up this past year and how she was mad at Alex and calling out to Jo about their "past relationship" just painted it out more of: "The actress needs work remember her story from 15 years ago? Let's throw her in for no apparent reason." Heather, as he name was, just is painted as a idiot and even the "Safe sex" scene after George's condition was spread through the hospital was really ridiculous. Yes, I get it they all act like 13 year olds with crazy hormones at the hospital. However, you get Richard with the distaste in his voice: "Come on these are doctors in their late 20s early 30s, they don't need to be treated like this is Sex Ed 101." Seattle Grace really had some very stupid board members off camera even back then. No wonder they screwed up the hospital. 

• Love 4

I think they brought her back as a "throwback" - but it was a bit much, having Olivia insulting Alex over and over, when she chose to sleep around, too. She was one of the nurses who boycotted Mark, and had to be reminded by Bailey, that they knew his reputation. 

It seemed like Izzie was the only one who really taught her interns anything, even though it was because they were figuring out what was wrong with her (without knowing). 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Anela said:

I think they brought her back as a "throwback" - but it was a bit much, having Olivia insulting Alex over and over, when she chose to sleep around, too. She was one of the nurses who boycotted Mark, and had to be reminded by Bailey, that they knew his reputation. 

It seemed like Izzie was the only one who really taught her interns anything, even though it was because they were figuring out what was wrong with her (without knowing). 

Yes on both, as Bailey pointed out, people knew who Mark was and his reputation. Plus, in the early days they were playing it like news either traveled as the speed of light or everyone was: "Oh what? We don't talk about that stuff." Plus, Alex had pretty much established himself early on what he was like at the hospital. Yes, a doctor who knew his stuff, but was more of a "sleep with them" and then stop when it meant having more meaning in the relationship. Of course that was always planned that Alex had more to him.

Of course we also were to think early on too that other doctors wanted positions like chief of surgery or head of departments ASAP once they found out someone might be sick or losing their "edge" when really that never came up. Even when Richard felt threaten by Dereck he was making a lot of mistakes by then. Plus since the show has been on, the different chiefs have had the positions in a realistic manner. We are to believe that Richard was chief for almost 20 years when statistically the most last chief of any department lasts is a decade and that counts for two main reasons:

1. They are DAMN good at it.

2. No one else wants the job. 

Plus, Grey's has constantly acted like the Chief of Surgery was the be all, end all position and that really in 20 years, and all the characters we met even in flashbacks the past 3 years, how Richard Webber was just so DAMN GOOD he had the job for almost two decades. When everyone else on the show from Derek to Bailey have had the position a few years, which is more realistic.

• Love 1
(edited)

OH i Forgot to update. I'm on Season Seven.

I like that Season 4 and 5 is what really started to crystalize some friendships. (Derek, Mark, (Owen) as a trio, Mark/Callie, etc. 

While i like Lexie, what irritated me was Lexie blaming Mark for things that she had issues with. She didn't want to have kids, or anything like that - okay cool. She knew Mark did, and he flat out told her (before the shooting) he wanted to marry her. so basically all the will they/wont they with them irritated me because Lexie's blaming Mark for... what? 

I've always maintained i don't like Arizona, and there are always "points" that stick out that the show flat out should have stuck too. It was when Arizona comes back from Africa  and Callie is saying basically, Arizona hurts her all the time, never does anything but for herself, all the time and if she lets her back in Callie's life she'll be hurt. sorry. speeches like that shouldn't result in marriages afterwards. (esp. that you know it broke).

I feel that like car crashes, Alzheimer's is a crutch they used in the earlier seasons. Why exactly did Adele have to have this? there were so many things they could have done i feel. 

while I don't generally have a problem w/Owen... yeah i have issues with him and Cristina and a lot of the baby drama they had before...should have been discussed before they got married, and i feel that they shouldn't have done so so early. 

I always like it when they have "professional" people (Stark this season) who basically is "letter of the law" and people are flabbergasted that you know. he wants to do things as they should. 

Eli (Nurse) vs. Ben. team Eli. i think that would have brought up a lot more interesting angles, a Nurse and a Doctor vs. Bailey and Whatever Ben Decides to Be This Month-ness. 

also. i think that Mere should have chosen the Diabetes trial vs. Derek's. (but this is when she thought she was still gonna go into Neuro so. whatever)

(also - whose bright idea was it that it makes sense to hit golf balls off the roof? no one thought this is kinda dangerous)

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 1

So, I'm rewatching and am at the episode where Denny arrives at the hospital. I had incorrectly remembered that Izzy and Alex had actually dated more than they had at that point. When really, it's like they went on a date that ended with Izzy unhappy, then he kisses her in the bar, then he has issues in bed, then sleeps with Olivia. So it's not like they were really some couple.

And maybe it's because I'm watching on Netflix rather than week to week, but it doesn't feel like Meredith and Derek had a particularly long foundation either. Or Christina and Burke before he asks her to move in with him. Maybe it's just a change in my perspective as a 43 (eek!)-year-old married parent vs. when I watched it during its original airing...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

So, I'm rewatching and am at the episode where Denny arrives at the hospital. I had incorrectly remembered that Izzy and Alex had actually dated more than they had at that point. When really, it's like they went on a date that ended with Izzy unhappy, then he kisses her in the bar, then he has issues in bed, then sleeps with Olivia. So it's not like they were really some couple.

And maybe it's because I'm watching on Netflix rather than week to week, but it doesn't feel like Meredith and Derek had a particularly long foundation either. Or Christina and Burke before he asks her to move in with him. Maybe it's just a change in my perspective as a 43 (eek!)-year-old married parent vs. when I watched it during its original airing...

Burke was too pushy, and I thought Derek was, too. Meredith and Derek had more of a foundation than a friend of mine, though - he decided he was in love with a woman, after spending one week with her. They were in a long-distance relationship for two years before they actually got engaged, but he was over the moon from the start. 🙂

• Love 1

Season seven done. 

There are a few things
1: I hate Derek. (lol)
but what drives me insane is that people have been telling this man that Meredith sees things in shades of Grey, not just black and white. so he finds out about the trial, and Meredith (who is wrong by the way -and honestly, i'm not sure why they had to tell the FDA but whatever) is saying that she doens't see things as black and white as he does, and so Derek's response is "I can't raise a baby with a woman who doesn't see things as black and white, and you're (gonna be ) a bad mother."

honestly, i don't really care how mad you are these are the things that should have been. "Cool. okay, peace out homie."

2: I hate Arizona. (this isn't changing either)
and i hate how she (and her family) got on Mark. and it irritated me that in the episode where they treated him like sperm and no one ever said "no you're not." Also i hated the fact that Arizona is like you slept with my girlfriend. Bitch y'all were broken up. You left Callie go kick a rock

3: Alex was right in what he did but wrong how he did it. 
Meredith did do something wrong, and the way people were like "you sold meredith out!!" is like. so? there was nothing to sell out if Meredith didn't do something wrong. however, he did it drunk and because he was pissed and that wasn't the right way so. boo. (also Meredith was a cow for how she treated Alex for it - if she felt she didnt do anything wrong, then why be pissed off that Alex said anything? Own your poo)

4: Lucy - waste. 
whatever. have fun in Africa

5: How the hospital treats Cristina in re: her education.
Honestly, I don't understand why Cristina is even in this hospital. people get mad at her and they keep her out of surgery for months. then they go "ohoo it's so she learns." whatever. 

6: Teddy and Scott Foley. 
boring. next.

7: I understand Owen's PoV
I think this kinda mirrors to what Mark said (in re: to Callie having the amnio and he acknowledged that he lost, but he just wanted to be heard and have his thoughts actually weighed and considered). Cristina tells him that they are pregnant, and then it was basically. NO. NO. NO. NO BABY, NO. NO. NO NO NO, where all he was asking Cristina to do was to actually consider the alternative and then have a conversation. Cristina for the most part just shut down any type/sort of discussion. . I feel if Cristina did this, then articulated again that she she didn't want to have a baby - and owen kept pushing it then he would be wrong. this might sound complicated or both sides of the mouth, but there it is. 

(also. Cristina should simply have had her tubes tied, or really practice safer sex because she got pregnant twice for someone who never wanted to have a baby).

trying to decide if i wanna push on, or move on to something else. it really goes blegher from here.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Daisy said:

7: I understand Owen's PoV
I think this kinda mirrors to what Mark said (in re: to Callie having the amnio and he acknowledged that he lost, but he just wanted to be heard and have his thoughts actually weighed and considered). Cristina tells him that they are pregnant, and then it was basically. NO. NO. NO. NO BABY, NO. NO. NO NO NO, where all he was asking Cristina to do was to actually consider the alternative and then have a conversation. Cristina for the most part just shut down any type/sort of discussion. . I feel if Cristina did this, then articulated again that she she didn't want to have a baby - and owen kept pushing it then he would be wrong. this might sound complicated or both sides of the mouth, but there it is. 

(also. Cristina should simply have had her tubes tied, or really practice safer sex because she got pregnant twice for someone who never wanted to have a baby).

trying to decide if i wanna push on, or move on to something else. it really goes blegher from here.

Many people brought that up if Cristina was so against children and the main reason she put: "Because I'll end up loving it and my career will go down as a result." Was just a piss pour excuse. That she should have done what you said above, in fact one person said: "Well, Cristina isn't a dog." Well, the problem is, if she is that career focused, and enjoys sex, but as we saw many times, Cristina wasn't really there to be a wife either. Then yes, get the tubes tied, just jump around and sleep with guys who you want to and then just tell people: "Hey, I'm a doctor, let me do my damn job!" 

As for Teddy, ever since they revealed the 9/11 flashback this just proves that Teddy has been a poorly written on the dime character that NEVER does anything logically. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, readster said:

Many people brought that up if Cristina was so against children and the main reason she put: "Because I'll end up loving it and my career will go down as a result." Was just a piss pour excuse. That she should have done what you said above, in fact one person said: "Well, Cristina isn't a dog." Well, the problem is, if she is that career focused, and enjoys sex, but as we saw many times, Cristina wasn't really there to be a wife either. Then yes, get the tubes tied, just jump around and sleep with guys who you want to and then just tell people: "Hey, I'm a doctor, let me do my damn job!" 

As for Teddy, ever since they revealed the 9/11 flashback this just proves that Teddy has been a poorly written on the dime character that NEVER does anything logically. 

Yeah that was such a crap excuse. like. countless women don't want to be mothers. (like Arizona didn't want to be one, but became one because she loved callie and fell in love with the idea of being one with Callie). 

They should just have said, that Cristina has no intention of being a mother because that's not who she is. that she doesn't have that yearn to be a mom regardless of how much she loves her husband. That yes she loves kids (as evidenced with how she is with Sofia and Zola) but she doesn't want them in her life, that she doesn't want the entire experience of being pregnant, and hormonal changes. that she really thought of it, and it wasn't for her. not for Burke, not with Owen, not for anyone. and if she were a garbage truck driver she'd feeel the same way so it's not just about her career, it's about her as a person.  

But by making her godmother to all of Mere's kids (and Sofia) - even if the running joke was she'd stick them in boarding school, if something severely was gonna happen, she was okay with taking on that responsibility.  and quite frankly, Owen made it clear that he had no problem being the stay at home dad (i mean hell, he could simply teach trauma clinics and not be a doctor doctor) - so i don't blame owen for being mad at Cristina for basically framing it as "I love my career more than i love your hopes and dreams." (again i'm not saying she should have a baby simply to make Owen happy but she never even considered it and the show never framed it that there were other reasons outside of her career.  and if that were the case, then in my opinions, Cristina should have ensured that she did everything possible so she wouldn't be pregnant. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

But by making her godmother to all of Mere's kids (and Sofia) - even if the running joke was she'd stick them in boarding school, if something severely was gonna happen, she was okay with taking on that responsibility.  and quite frankly, Owen made it clear that he had no problem being the stay at home dad (i mean hell, he could simply teach trauma clinics and not be a doctor doctor) - so i don't blame owen for being mad at Cristina for basically framing it as "I love my career more than i love your hopes and dreams." (again i'm not saying she should have a baby simply to make Owen happy but she never even considered it and the show never framed it that there were other reasons outside of her career.  and if that were the case, then in my opinions, Cristina should have ensured that she did everything possible so she wouldn't be pregnant. 

Right and same with Owen's whole "I want kids no matter what". They could have simple put it as Owen did originally when he talked to Christina. "I want to be a family man, leave a legacy, be like my own father was." Very normal and typical, even saying how he would be the "stay at home dad" and return to medicine. Unlike what Fletcher was trying to get Miranda to quit her job to be a "stay at home mom." Owen had the GI bill and other things backing him and he could honestly go back to work when he wanted to or even become a teacher to future medical students because he was license too. Instead they started framing Owen that he had to have this "picture perfect family" like his father instilled in his head. That he also tried to ruin his own sister's military advancement to have it. That's where many times, Grey's went too far or the writers wanted to keep things just one sided and give no history or reasons for it or if they did it was extremely half ass. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, readster said:

Right and same with Owen's whole "I want kids no matter what". They could have simple put it as Owen did originally when he talked to Christina. "I want to be a family man, leave a legacy, be like my own father was." Very normal and typical, even saying how he would be the "stay at home dad" and return to medicine. Unlike what Fletcher was trying to get Miranda to quit her job to be a "stay at home mom." Owen had the GI bill and other things backing him and he could honestly go back to work when he wanted to or even become a teacher to future medical students because he was license too. Instead they started framing Owen that he had to have this "picture perfect family" like his father instilled in his head. That he also tried to ruin his own sister's military advancement to have it. That's where many times, Grey's went too far or the writers wanted to keep things just one sided and give no history or reasons for it or if they did it was extremely half ass. 

Yeah. like don't get me wrong (I am watching season 8, so I am gonna get mad at Owen soon LOL), both weren't blameless here and I think that's why the show really started to annoy me. I watch soaps all the time (or well I used to, but even on Soaps it wasn't so heavy handed like THIS IS IT. there were the subtle nuances and things like that. Greys never goes for the nuances (or they used to for the most part but that stopped after season 5 etc). 

Yeah Tucker v. Miranda made no sense. at all. like he was mostly pissed off that he had to stay at home and Miranda worked long hours? honestly at that point i'd be all "get a nanny if it bothered you that much."

• Love 1

Cristina could be a wife without being a mother. Marriage wasn't her ultimate goal, but she loved the men she was with. She didn't want to be sleeping around. 

Owen had a woman who wanted to marry him, and have children, and he slept with Cristina, before breaking up with her. He chose to stay with her, at a different time, and then "punished" her for the abortion, by cheating on her. This whole thing with Teddy, this last season, seemed like their attempt to get people onto Owen's side, because he's been playing musical women for years. He loves Cristina, oh but wait, he might actually love Teddy. No, there's a woman who wants to have children, but wait, here's Cristina, the love of his life. Until Amelia, and then oops, that marriage goes belly-up, but wait, she had a brain tumour, let's try again. Until he flies over to see Teddy, they sleep together, and she throws him out when she finds out that it was Amelia's idea. So he comes back to her, and well, now Teddy is pregnant, and they're happy, until the obsession with Owen is suddenly replaced by a history of cheating, and an affair with what's his name.

Cristina was with Burke, then Owen, and Shane for a little while. She didn't flit between them like a moth between lamps. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Owen had a woman who wanted to marry him, and have children, and he slept with Cristina, before breaking up with her

Owen ended things with Beth before sleeping with Cristina.(Im pretty sure)

52 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Owen ended things with Beth before sleeping with Cristina.(Im pretty sure)

I think he slept with Cristina, and then he ended it the next day. She was in his bed the one morning, and I think Cristina was in his bed that night. I'm coming up to those episodes again at some point (I've been running it as I try to fall asleep, or do other things).

4 minutes ago, Anela said:

I think he slept with Cristina, and then he ended it the next day. She was in his bed the one morning, and I think Cristina was in his bed that night. I'm coming up to those episodes again at some point (I've been running it as I try to fall asleep, or do other things).

the same. (if i am wrong, i'm wrong. the show is becoming a blur to me). but i am pretty sure he ended it when he came back from Iraq before he slept with Cristina. (and while i don't condone cheating at all. while he was scuz to sleep with Cristina while engaged to Beth - at least unlike most people on the show, he ended it with Beth instead of stringing her along). 

19 hours ago, Daisy said:

Yeah Tucker v. Miranda made no sense. at all. like he was mostly pissed off that he had to stay at home and Miranda worked long hours? honestly at that point i'd be all "get a nanny if it bothered you that much."

Plus, I really wanted to know what magical law firm this was that Fletcher could take off for AN ENTIRE YEAR! Especially by that point in time, yes the market hadn't crashed for the housing market yet. HOWEVER, this was EXACTLY how hard it was getting for the law and education field. Now, people can't find teachers fast enough and lawyers are going to schools and getting their license and lucky if they can get a paralegal job. I now sometimes shows don't think about the current job market of a character has gone down hill. I mean right after 9/11 flight attendants jobs were hard to get due to cut backs and other issues. But what did shows do? Had characters getting jobs in those fields. After the housing market fell apart, they had characters getting into real estate. 

It's like: "Umm... do you watch the news?" Here you had Miranda where her now ex-husband wanted her to quit a good job and stay at home and yet he apparently had NO INTENTION to go back to work until Tuck was at least a year old or more. As many people said: "So... how are you going to pay your: mortgage, utilities, ect." Or when he blamed Miranda for Tuck's accident saying: "He was looking for you?" I also hated how Fletcher who hasn't been on the show for over a decade is then around a subplot where he was pissed that Tuck called Ben "Dad". Well, you can understand if your kid is like 6-8, but he is 15 now. He has a sound mind if he wants to call his stepfather "dad" too. Then yelling Miranda on her phone to tell BEN to tell Tuck not to be called that. Who the hell does Fletcher think he is? Even more, why do the writers think that makes any type of sense? 

Speaking of Miranda getting SHAMED for being a doctor. How about when her father showed up and yelled at her going: "I am ashamed you let your marriage fall apart to just help people to who have hernias." Of course I wanted Miranda to then yell about all the other people she saved who was about to die in front of her. I wanted her to go: "What should I do dad? Let people suffer and die?" But a logical argument, or no, why do that?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, readster said:

It's like: "Umm... do you watch the news?" Here you had Miranda where her now ex-husband wanted her to quit a good job and stay at home and yet he apparently had NO INTENTION to go back to work until Tuck was at least a year old or more. As many people said: "So... how are you going to pay your: mortgage, utilities, ect." Or when he blamed Miranda for Tuck's accident saying: "He was looking for you?" I also hated how Fletcher who hasn't been on the show for over a decade is then around a subplot where he was pissed that Tuck called Ben "Dad". Well, you can understand if your kid is like 6-8, but he is 15 now. He has a sound mind if he wants to call his stepfather "dad" too. Then yelling Miranda on her phone to tell BEN to tell Tuck not to be called that. Who the hell does Fletcher think he is? Even more, why do the writers think that makes any type of sense? 

And then there’s an article circulating where a woman who was CEO of a small business of 13 employees shut down her business cause her husband, who is unemployed, couldn’t handle the child rearing of their three year old. I wish that storyline was out of pocket but it was more true to life then we knew

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

And then there’s an article circulating where a woman who was CEO of a small business of 13 employees shut down her business cause her husband, who is unemployed, couldn’t handle the child rearing of their three year old. I wish that storyline was out of pocket but it was more true to life then we knew

Oh I know, and I have to say when you are running a company of 15 or less employees, it's no different than being the general manager of a small food chain. Honestly, that husband didn't know how great he had it. 

• Love 3

Season 8, Ep 11
This episode makes me so mad, and Alex says it at the end - this is a teaching hospital.
Bailey pulls Meredith away from a once in a lifetime surgery, Webber snakes Alex twice and they are all like "meh whatever." like. honestly. these ppl should feel shame. 

• Love 1

Ack, the LVAD wire cutting--why didn't she at least wait until Burke alerted her that he was almost there...or something. Though I guess he could have told her that he's at the hospital, then gotten shot. But I feel bad for the others getting sucked into Izzie's scheme... And as a 43-year-old married woman, I keep thinking, "How can you be in love with him, Izzie, you barely know him!" (Then again, I may have thought the same thing watching it as a single woman when it first aired...)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

Ack, the LVAD wire cutting--why didn't she at least wait until Burke alerted her that he was almost there...or something. Though I guess he could have told her that he's at the hospital, then gotten shot. But I feel bad for the others getting sucked into Izzie's scheme... And as a 43-year-old married woman, I keep thinking, "How can you be in love with him, Izzie, you barely know him!" (Then again, I may have thought the same thing watching it as a single woman when it first aired...)

I thought the same thing when it first aired. 🙂 I thought about not watching anymore, because I was annoyed that his asking her to marry him, supposedly made everything okay. Also with Derek and Mere actually cheating. 

• Love 2

Season 8, Ep 11
This episode makes me so mad, and Alex says it at the end - this is a teaching hospital.
Bailey pulls Meredith away from a once in a lifetime surgery, Webber snakes Alex twice and they are all like "meh whatever." like. honestly. these ppl should feel shame. 

Season Seven: me: I totally understand why Owen was mad and he had a Point.
Season eight: why is this show being so dumb. 

Literally i think the show forgot that Cristina told Owen before they got married that she doesn't want to have kids. she flat out stated it.  And he got it. and again I got that once a baby was a reality that things shifted because before it was "were not having babies." but then ther ewas a baby and again for me, Owen wanted his opinions/feelings and all options figured out outside of "I don't wanna be a mother because it will ruin my career" which if it were me it would piss me off too because it does come off as my career trumps everything else. 

They totally blew up any right that Owen had by screaming at Cristina and then cheating on her. like. seriously. 

I though was on Team Owen in regards to his decision with Teddy and lying about Henry. she needed to focus on that and the whole aftermath was dumb. 

The "Yeup. i do hate Arizona Robbins" feelings don't disipate because she does everything in her power to kick Alex down. and i don't care if it's because you want him there. you do YOUR JOB and try to use your contacts and make him grow. THEN getting pissed off at him because Hopkins offered him a fellow ship because of YOUR training. and then (okay into season 9, but those two episodes really do fit in) telling Alex she wished Alex was on the plane and suffered? Find a rock and kick it

I get. I get i get that Chyler asked to leave but Lexie Grey did not have to die. for god sakes. neither did Mark. lazy schloppy writing. just like they did with George. 

I said this then and I said it now. I loathe when Hollywood touches Virginity and Christianity because i don't think they give it the nuances it deserves (and bless Sarah Drew who was a Christian to put up with so much of that crap). I loathe the fact that they made her lose her virginity with Jackson not because she loved him or even decided to (in a clear, sane moment) that she's ready to do it but because she's amped up and slightly drunk. and then turn it into this insane moment where she tanks her boards. 

(also and I didn't really like April in season 8  - I did have a huge amount of respect for her for flat out saying that she would pray for her patient. and when the doctor said that was inappropriate i would have had more respect for her if she had said why? She never said she would pray outloud for the patient. just toss one up to God, before she would begin her scientific procedures. but they made it all wrapped up in losing her virginity and the like iand it made me mad. also. i refuse to believe that April "I am always prepared Kepner" would spill her tea like that to test examiners refuse). 

• Love 3
On 6/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, Daisy said:

I said this then and I said it now. I loathe when Hollywood touches Virginity and Christianity because i don't think they give it the nuances it deserves (and bless Sarah Drew who was a Christian to put up with so much of that crap). I loathe the fact that they made her lose her virginity with Jackson not because she loved him or even decided to (in a clear, sane moment) that she's ready to do it but because she's amped up and slightly drunk. and then turn it into this insane moment where she tanks her boards. 

(also and I didn't really like April in season 8  - I did have a huge amount of respect for her for flat out saying that she would pray for her patient. and when the doctor said that was inappropriate i would have had more respect for her if she had said why? She never said she would pray outloud for the patient. just toss one up to God, before she would begin her scientific procedures. but they made it all wrapped up in losing her virginity and the like iand it made me mad. also. i refuse to believe that April "I am always prepared Kepner" would spill her tea like that to test examiners refuse). 

AMEN! 

how this show treated April’s choice to remain a Virgin was shitty and it’s portrayal of Christianity was immature at best, at worst downright cruel.

I love japril but I completely agree about what a let down it is that being slightly inebriated and riding an adrenaline high is what fueled such a huge life decision for her (although it fuels most of the sex decisions on this show) and it’s sad that she did end up regretting it. Jackson didn’t deserve that but I also hated how he never ever just talks to her but instead gets angry when April sticks her foot in her mouth and just walks away. It’s amazing japril was ever popular cause they really got the shittiest writing for most of their time on this show. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, moonorchid said:

AMEN! 

how this show treated April’s choice to remain a Virgin was shitty and it’s portrayal of Christianity was immature at best, at worst downright cruel.

I love japril but I completely agree about what a let down it is that being slightly inebriated and riding an adrenaline high is what fueled such a huge life decision for her (although it fuels most of the sex decisions on this show) and it’s sad that she did end up regretting it. Jackson didn’t deserve that but I also hated how he never ever just talks to her but instead gets angry when April sticks her foot in her mouth and just walks away. It’s amazing japril was ever popular cause they really got the shittiest writing for most of their time on this show. 

Reminds me of the reveal that Christina was Jewish in season 2. It was a big: WTF? Only referencing it every so often. If Christina was so serious that she didn't: "decorate a Christmas Tree, observe the sabbath, extra. Why the hell bring it up? 

(edited)
3 hours ago, readster said:

Reminds me of the reveal that Christina was Jewish in season 2. It was a big: WTF? Only referencing it every so often. If Christina was so serious that she didn't: "decorate a Christmas Tree, observe the sabbath, extra. Why the hell bring it up? 

I always felt it was a "shock" thing too to be all Very Special Episode when they need to be. I know and understand  about representation. but they always do such great nuances about transgenderism (they've touched it so many times on this show). They do such great awareness for Bisexual/Same sex relationships.  and that's awesome. truly. 

But then they always decide to do Ugly Christian, Ignorant Christian, Intolerant Christian, Crazy Christian. and it drives me insane. like i just got to the JW episode in season nine where the guy had an accident and it was all "no blood for him" to the point Leah (who is completely dumb because I would assume this would be covered in Medical School at some point, but i just feel that was the moment where they could just explain their beliefs. like this is why we feel this way and really explain the nuances. People still might not get it, or understand it or respect it but at least it would have been presented in a a respectful and informative way. 

April's a virgin, and she wants it to be romantic, wants to wait for her husband, doesn't want to jump from bed to bed (like most of these people do - also it bothers me that not since season one does anyone bring up the fact the amount of people they sleep with that they aren't have regular testing done.  but in season nine they keep making Jesus jokes, and i just feel truthfully if it were reversed  and it was just something that should be treated with respect, everyone would cop a fit. 

in other news we keep wondering when Meredith became such a cow? Season 9. the plane crash killed the Meredith we knew and loved for the most part 

Also. also.this whole hospital thing is stupid. 

Also also - I really hated the way they took a great potential friendship in Jo and Alex and made them into a couple. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, moonorchid said:

AMEN! 

YES! I loved Japril as a couple more for the potential and the chemistry than the actual storylines. They were never really in sync. He'd say black, she'd say blue. Before her wedding she asked Jackson to give her a reason not to get married. He stayed silent. Then, on the wedding day, he stood up and declared his love for her. After that, it was good for a hot second until they lost baby Samuel. Then, it was back to the same black/blue/opposite pages. Both are accomplished surgeons and able to communicate with their patients very well but with each other, there always seems to be a communication block. I'm doing a rewatch of the show and have to say that it's so frustrating but also now understandable why they didn't end up together. IF Sarah comes back to the show, I would love to see Japril rekindled and together as healed adults.

I can actually see April losing her virginity during an adrenaline high and alcohol. She was willing to part with her virginity when she briefly had a fling with Alex. I hated the way Alex handled that but at least his asshole nature put a stop to it when she wasn't truly ready.

The show wrote her as having a very childlike relationship with her faith. When Matthew's wife died and through a conversation with the Christian teen who broke his own hand to keep from masturbating, April realized what we all do at some point -- that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why bad stuff happens to good people. Instead of reflecting on it maturely and reconciling her expectations with her faith, she acted out like a jilted teenager.

Who knows, maybe that comes from so much time in school and less time for socialization.  Still, I wasn't a fan of how the show handled that moment. Another moment that made me side-eye the show is when April wanted Jackson to kind of "pretend" that he was Christian / believed in God after they had gotten married in haste to make her parents feel more welcoming. To me... that kind of negates being a Christian. Far better to welcome a non-believer with open arms and warmth than to call them a heathen or be cold and judgmental. 

• Love 2