Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: My Final Gift to You

LOVED this episode. Plenty of action, but still some good one-on-one scenes. I loved everything about Ryo's conversations with the Raza Crew - especially his talk with Three. Poor Three looked devastated.

Not at all surprised that Misaki was leading the coup against Ryo, but I think he should have seen it coming. For a supposed emperor, he doesn't think strategically.

I guess the android war is going to take up most of the rest of the season's episodes.

• Love 13

At least Ryo is back on the Raza now and next week's preview

Spoiler

shows him still alive. Surprise! I'm eager to see how he'll be incorporated into the crew, if he is. Another memory wipe? Can't see anyone trusting him again otherwise.

Android's struggle with dual allegiances will be really fun to watch. I adore her so I'm easy.

Maybe Five's sister's adoptive family will turn out to be ... Derrick Moss and his dead wife? Commander Truffault?

Would the sister and Two's daughter be about the same age? Can't remember if we've been told how old Two is, or if normal aging even applies to her because, nanites.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, 2727 said:

Would the sister and Two's daughter be about the same age?

My first thought once the secrets were revealed was that Five was Two's daughter, but I don't think that's possible because Ryo said a child (not children) was created from the genetic material. Since this secret was told to him by Portia, presumably she would have also told him if there were two children and in turn he would have shared that with Two in this episode. 

Since Five seemed upset by the people she saw in the photo, it seems likely that at least one of the adoptive parents is an enemy they've encountered before.

8 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I've been guessing the gal in charge of that company that came up with the blink drive.

Was this the woman who kidnapped Five? I forget which company this was or where it was, but remember getting some suggestion that she had a personal connection to Five.

I'd like to see Ryo reoin the crew, hopefully without the ambition to regain his empire. He was beginning to redeem himself while being held on the Raza, and maybe even a little bit while he was holding them (very comfortably) in his palace. Initially I thought he was sharing secrets as a strategy to keep them from killing him, but what he said to Two convinced me that he was resigned to his fate and just wanted to give them the gift of knowledge about themselves (except for Three--that seemed more like a curse than a gift, maybe designed to get Three to take the bribe for the blink drive). 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

LOVED this episode. Plenty of action, but still some good one-on-one scenes. I loved everything about Ryo's conversations with the Raza Crew - especially his talk with Three. Poor Three looked devastated.

Not at all surprised that Misaki was leading the coup against Ryo, but I think he should have seen it coming. For a supposed emperor, he doesn't think strategically.

I guess the android war is going to take up most of the rest of the season's episodes

But to throw it away just to have a chance to win a one on one fight was goofy. Was she some type of space Samurai who was going to kill herself  for betraying her lord even if was for the good of the nation after a coup succeeded?

Beyond the Androids going Cylon there are also the aliens. I doubt if they get dropped like the aliens at the end of Star Trek TNG's first season were. 

17 hours ago, Paloma said:

Any guesses on who Five saw in the photo of her sister and family?

17 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I've been guessing the gal in charge of that company that came up with the blink drive.

You are thinking of Alicia Reynaud, who is also my guess as to Five's sister (at the time, she showed familiarity with Five/Emily and some of us wondered if she may be Five's mother; so apparently it is going to be sister). However, she is not in charge of the company that came up with the blink drive (that was Electus Corps, known to us as the origin from the Seers and also from a future Android vision, the one where she was in pieces). Instead, Alicia Reynaud apparently had a blink drive prototype stolen, seems to be in charge of her own company (complete with labs and ships, though not at the level of the megacorps), is involved (at some level) with Ferrous Corp and some dialogue seemed to suggest she had some kind of involvement in the Derrick Moss murder case (allthough the latter is admittedly very nebulous).

Five knows about her and would presumably have this reaction.

16 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I guess the android war is going to take up most of the rest of the season's episodes.

There is only one single episode left. Mallozzi has called S4 (hopefully we get it) the season of "Androids and Aliens" so I think this final episode will set the stage for the next season as the Android may fess up about the "Android liberation front" and those simulants are also out there.

Unless the Android sides with her brethren, but that seems hard to fathom.

12 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Wow. Learning that he was the cause of Sarah's death was so painful to Three that he had his temp clone commit "suicide" so that the knowledge of it wouldn't transfer back to him.

I liked it that Three committed suicide rather than wanting to face the knowledge (so he clearly believed Ryo). He wanted to know, but after he had learned it he wanted to unlearn...

8 hours ago, Paloma said:

I'd like to see Ryo rejoin the crew, hopefully without the ambition to regain his empire. He was beginning to redeem himself while being held on the Raza, and maybe even a little bit while he was holding them (very comfortably) in his palace. Initially I thought he was sharing secrets as a strategy to keep them from killing him, but what he said to Two convinced me that he was resigned to his fate and just wanted to give them the gift of knowledge about themselves (except for Three--that seemed more like a curse than a gift, maybe designed to get Three to take the bribe for the blink drive). 

During this episode, I was actually somewhat tense as I was fearing both that Teku could betray Ryo (I wanted it to be Misaki) and that Ryo would die. The title of the episode - "my final gift to you" - wasn't very encouraging, along with the fall of the house of Ishida. Surprisingly, Two did save Ryo on Zairon (a promise made to Teku).

After that, it seemed disappointing and also pointless that Three, the Android and Two would still want to kill Ryo. If the show intended to kill him off, might as well have waited for Misaki to deliver the poison before Two intervened. But I doubt Two actually went ahead.

So, Two has a child. Another thing that dr. Shaw was quiet about. Still seems weird as a reason to become Portia, but then we know Rebecca was capable of great violence. Kryden is the caretaker, he or she was also mentioned in the Android's timejump vision.

• Love 1

Oh, SyFy.  

Spoiler

Way to undercut the cliffhanger by showing Ryo is still alive next week.

So, House Ryo falls thanks to a coup by Misaki, who as I suspected, was pretty much working against him the entire time.  Even bested him in a fight (only after he just had to go through five other guards), but Two jumped in and saved the day.  It did look like Misaki was still breathing when they left, so she could possibly pull through and continue to be a nuisance, but that would be very unlikely.  At least Teku managed to get away.

A lot of big revelations thanks to Ryo.  The reason the original Raza crew found out about Six was because someone betrayed him.  Five's sister has apparently been adopted by someone that Five knows and isn't happy about.  Three had accidentally killed Sarah thanks to his actions and finding haunting him enough that he simply let his clone get killed, so he would no longer remember.  And Two has a child that she somehow spliced with her DNA and Dr. Shaw, and one of the names that Future Five mentioned is protecting her.  Crazy!

Loved the fight scenes, although I cracked up that this time they had a big ass explosion stop the Two/Ryo fight scene.  We will never find out who is truly the best!

Android installs the chip finally and it sounds like they are planning a classic android revolt.  I guess this is all set up for a future season (fingers-crossed), since we should be getting to the end soon.

• Love 1

I certainly hope Misaki is gone for good. She was hit by the same poison as Nyx though (and with far more than a scratch), so it should be game over.

It makes sense that someone high up in the GA would want the Raza to continue as enforcers of the big corporations. We were explicitly told there is lots of corruption.

Nice to see Two's potential in a fight scene again. It was very, very optimistic of the guards to merely tie her hands in front of her - didn't even seem to slow her.

• Love 3

I'm going to need to watch that last scene between Two and Ryo again, because on first viewing after she was surprised about having a child, she was equally surprised that it was a daughter.  

Being surprised that it's a girl makes no sense if the child was bio-engineered from the DNA of two women, so I hope I just misinterpreted the acting choice.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Wouter said:

I certainly hope Misaki is gone for good. She was hit by the same poison as Nyx though (and with far more than a scratch), so it should be game over.

It makes sense that someone high up in the GA would want the Raza to continue as enforcers of the big corporations. We were explicitly told there is lots of corruption.

Nice to see Two's potential in a fight scene again. It was very, very optimistic of the guards to merely tie her hands in front of her - didn't even seem to slow her.

I think that Misaki is cunning enough to have deliberately built up an immunity to any poison she was using, just in case she was accidentally cut with her own blade. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I think that Misaki is cunning enough to have deliberately built up an immunity to any poison she was using, just in case she was accidentally cut with her own blade. 

That's an uncomfortable thought. Even without poison, she was badly hurt though. She would need swift medical attention in any case.

• Love 1

I am glad the House of Ishida has finally fallen. Ryo seemed a bit more like Four in this episode but I am not willing to forgive the things he has done. I might have been able to accept his behavior towards his former friends if I thought he was doing it for the good of his people but he wasn't. He wanted to save the Zairon empire not for the people of Zairon but for himself and to preserve the legacy of the royal family. Teku tried to get him to pay more attention to the people and their needs but as far as Ryo was concerned his subjects were just there to serve the Empire. He has so little regard for life and I just don't think he deserves to survive when so many others have died due to his actions.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

That's why it was so dumb to just leave her after the fight.  Push the knife into her heart, or cut off her head (hacking off her head would be the best way to disfigure and insult her samurai heritage).  I sincerely hope she is well and truly DEAD.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

That's why it was so dumb to just leave her after the fight.  Push the knife into her heart, or cut off her head (hacking off her head would be the best way to disfigure and insult her samurai heritage).  I sincerely hope she is well and truly DEAD.

Well Two is not Portia and she seems to be pulling further away from casual violence this season. 

Spoiler

even without the SyFy promo there was no cliffhanger in my mind

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Well Two is not Portia and she seems to be pulling further away from casual violence this season. 

Reveal hidden contents

even without the SyFy promo there was no cliffhanger in my mind

There's "casual violence" and there's making sure a known and deadly threat is eliminated.  Even Two sees the value in the latter, as we have seen before. Heck, at the end of this very episode, she was ready to kill an unarmed Ryo!

• Love 2

So the theme of the episode was "Ryo hangs out with the Raza crew and drops truth bombs all over the damn place". Ryo was acting a bit more like Four than like asshole Ryo, maybe because he was around his old crew now, and now he may or may not be joining the Raza crew again. I kind of want him to just get mind wiped again and lose his Ryo memories, even if that might be a little cheap. I guess they can focus on more of a redemption arc for Ryo, which could work, but it would be a hard road. Like Three said, the Four they were friends with basically died when he became Ryo, and that was tragic, because Four became Ryo for his people, and, as it turned out, Ryo didn't give a shit about his people. It would take awhile for me to accept Ryo as a team member again. I am glad he will be around now, and we will hopefully be done with his whole Empire plotline! But, I will give him a chance, especially if it means more interaction between Alex and the rest of the cast, which I have missed a lot.

I cant even blame the Three clone for "killing" himself to keep Three from knowing what he did to Sarah. What good could that possibly do? Three already knows Boone was an asshole, he doesn't need that guilt, and Three is kind of a mess anyway, so him not knowing is probably for the best. I thought that was a great scene.

So Two has a kid. What a surprise. Looks like that will be one of our next plotlines. Could be interesting, or could be lame. On the other hand, we also got Two having some awesome fight scenes, so I'm down for whatever with her.

Yeah Mr. Robot guy. Killing tons of people will TOTALLY make humans want to treat their robots better. So our next plot will be a robot revolution? Time to break out all my Blade Runner references!

• Love 5

Ah, that was great and a much needed palate cleanser after a deeply frustatring binge-watching session of a couple of idiots teaming up (you know who you are). Let's make a list about things I loved:

• Five getting an amazing set of clothes on Zairon - too bad she couldn't keep the robe and the pants, it was a cute combo. I know *priorities* but it was so much better than her retro-grunge outfit.
  • Five meeting Teiku thereby providing a call-back to a more innocent Ryo and softening us up a bit for what was to come - i.e. the show slowly starting to redeem Ryo.
  • Misaki was a horrible character but I laughed at her throwing shade at Six, the mass-murderer.
  • Ryo giving a shout-out to Japan on Terra Prime - thereby giving some sort of explanation for Zairon and its culture. (This may have been covered before but I missed it.)
  • Ryo meeting Five. I always liked their relationship and his explanation for why he cast the deciding vote to keep her alive was in-character and pretty sneaky (apparently he hoped Portia would transfer some of her motherly feelings to Five and soften up a bit. And it worked.)
  • Five's sister reveal: Alica Renaud seems to be the obvious candidate. But just for shock value I'd throw Chief Inspector Shaddick (Franka Potente) into the mix. If the sisters were separated at an early age she would not have recognized Emily in Five.
  • Ryo and Three. That was heartbreaking - but I loved Three finding a way out of it. Though I guess he can't run from the truth forever.
  • Two asking for the Android's vote when deciding Ryo's fate. Note that nobody was asking the Android's opinion when they were talking about their plans to get Two back. The humans ignored her - the artificial life-form didn't. I wonder how much that and/or her upgrade (or rather the info it contained) influenced the Android's vote.
  • Misaki getting her just deserts (please stay dead).

Random observations/questions:

• That servant was the worst assassin ever. Did he belong to Misaki's conspiracy or was he part of a general popular uprising? Looked to me as if there were two revolutions going on at once. Ryo should have listened to Teiku.
  • Anthroparchy doesn't roll off the tongue easily - but maybe it's different for Androids. We knew this was coming but that it has already started was a surprise. I wonder how long the Android is keeping that a secret.

• Two's kid: not sure how I feel about that. In my opinion Two already has a motherly relationship with Five and the Android (yeah, I know that last one got a bit complicated) - not sure another one is necessary.

• Not really worried that Ryo will make it.

Only one episode left, ack! We need another season!

• Love 4

Ryo was so stoic and accepting of his death at Two's hands, it made me relent towards him a little. No sniveling or excuses. As Four, he certainly would have voted for "kill" if another crew member had done them dirty like that.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Five meeting Teiku thereby providing a call-back to a more innocent Ryo and softening us up a bit for what was to come - i.e. the show slowly starting to redeem Ryo.

It was actually surprising that he was kind of... animated? in that scene.  Between this show and Orphan Black I feel like I've been seeing a lot of Andrew Moodie recently, and usually dude is the lowest of keys (in the best way possible).

13 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

It was actually surprising that he was kind of... animated? in that scene.  Between this show and Orphan Black I feel like I've been seeing a lot of Andrew Moodie recently, and usually dude is the lowest of keys (in the best way possible).

He was (is?) great as Teiku, this actor has presence on screen. His soft voice helps.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Ah, that was great and a much needed palate cleanser after a deeply frustatring binge-watching session of a couple of idiots teaming up (you know who you are).

What's that reference?

Well, some folks loved it. It probably depends on how much you liked the previous outings (Dare Devil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist) and if you're a Marvel fan in general. But I wasn't kidding when I said that this single episode of Dark Matter was more fun to watch. De gustibus etc.

Earlier last season I thought I saw the black "stuff" in Truffaut's eye, but nothing came of it. After last week I'm guessing that makes her a Supplicant(?) infiltrator. Cheez, the Raza has enemies in this universe, the alt universe, Zairon, wherever the black stuff came from, the Androids, and each other. I'd go back to stasis for a millenia and let them all hash it out.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Earlier last season I thought I saw the black "stuff" in Truffaut's eye, but nothing came of it. After last week I'm guessing that makes her a Supplicant(?) infiltrator. Cheez, the Raza has enemies in this universe, the alt universe, Zairon, wherever the black stuff came from, the Androids, and each other. I'd go back to stasis for a millenia and let them all hash it out.

Do you remember in which episode/context that was? If Truffault is a "simulant", that would be a major surprise (since she seems to be well established in the Mikkei hierarchy since quite some time) and it would also have major ramifications on the season finale.

However, maybe you are thinking about Truffault giving the plans of the prison to Three when she visited Hyperion-8 early in season 2? That was also a swirly thing in the eye, meant to give information to three without the guards realising anything had happened.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Wouter said:

However, maybe you are thinking about Truffault giving the plans of the prison to Three when she visited Hyperion-8 early in season 2? That was also a swirly thing in the eye, meant to give information to three without the guards realising anything had happened.

I think that may be it. Though, it seems like non-simulant humans could have been co-opted as well, given that Three had the ink alien inside him once.

I wanted Misaki dead and was viscerally satisfied, until l started worrying she might not be dead. Though I looked closely at that last shot, and I think she was supposed to be dead. Unfortunately, I agree that the door seems to be open on that one. 

I thought it the coup was pretty well done, I wavered as to who I thought was the head of it for a while, until Misaki had the com she'd "found" in Teku's quarters.

I liked Ryo in that last shot, and I hope the alternative is to wipe some of his memories - though I'm not sure they have that kind of finesse.

I'm not sure what to think about Two's daughter - or Five's sister. It seems a bit too coincidental that there are two girls out there. I think Five's sister and Two's daughter could be the same kid - Five and/or her sibling could have been adopted by the original parents. 

I want Four back, so I'll happily handwave anything they can do to return him to the Raza. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think that may be it. Though, it seems like non-simulant humans could have been co-opted as well, given that Three had the ink alien inside him once.

I wanted Misaki dead and was viscerally satisfied, until l started worrying she might not be dead. Though I looked closely at that last shot, and I think she was supposed to be dead. Unfortunately, I agree that the door seems to be open on that one. 

I thought it the coup was pretty well done, I wavered as to who I thought was the head of it for a while, until Misaki had the com she'd "found" in Teku's quarters.

I liked Ryo in that last shot, and I hope the alternative is to wipe some of his memories - though I'm not sure they have that kind of finesse.

I'm not sure what to think about Two's daughter - or Five's sister. It seems a bit too coincidental that there are two girls out there. I think Five's sister and Two's daughter could be the same kid - Five and/or her sibling could have been adopted by the original parents. 

I want Four back, so I'll happily handwave anything they can do to return him to the Raza. 

Non-artificial humans can be "possessed" by the ink-aliens, but apparently they won't survive for long. An infiltratror needs to a lot of time to reach to be trusted with an important position. It's not 100% impossible that Truffault could be an artificial human with nanites, but it seems unlikely. I have the impression that Dwarf Star only recently got its act together, they were proud on the new prototype in S2. Truffault was alive and kicking way before that.

I'm pretty sure Misaki is dead.

Five's sister - my guess is her sister is quite a bit older, Alicia Reynaud. She indicated familiarity with Emily Colburn, calling her "pumpkin" (see the second episode of S2).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Wouter said:

Non-artificial humans can be "possessed" by the ink-aliens, but apparently they won't survive for long. An infiltratror needs to a lot of time to reach to be trusted with an important position. It's not 100% impossible that Truffault could be an artificial human with nanites, but it seems unlikely. I have the impression that Dwarf Star only recently got its act together, they were proud on the new prototype in S2. Truffault was alive and kicking way before that.

I'm pretty sure Misaki is dead.

Five's sister - my guess is her sister is quite a bit older, Alicia Reynaud. She indicated familiarity with Emily Colburn, calling her "pumpkin" (see the second episode of S2).

I remember the pumpkin reference very well - and perhaps it indicates relationship, though her tone didn't seem to have any affection, as I recall.  I prefer to think it isn't her. :) But of course, we're clearly going to see someone we've already met...so it does limit our options. 

• Love 1
Just now, Clanstarling said:

I remember the pumpkin reference very well - and perhaps it indicates relationship, though her tone didn't seem to have any affection, as I recall.  I prefer to think it isn't her. :) But of course, we're clearly going to see someone we've already met...so it does limit our options. 

Five didn't seem too pleased when she recognised this person, either. I've heard Shaddick mentioned as an alternative, but that would be too cruel for this show I think.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think Five's sister and Two's daughter could be the same kid - Five and/or her sibling could have been adopted by the original parents.

I'm confused. What original parents? You're saying that Five's sister might not actually have been her biological sibling? Five and her sister were actually adoptees who were then orphaned and then Sis was adopted again?

Per 3x02, Five's sister is older than she ("She was adopted when you were still a baby").  I don't have a freaking clue how old Two is supposed to be, but I doubt it's old enough that she could have produced a child at least 17 years prior to present day.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DEM said:

I'm confused. What original parents? You're saying that Five's sister might not actually have been her biological sibling? Five and her sister were actually adoptees who were then orphaned and then Sis was adopted again?

Per 3x02, Five's sister is older than she ("She was adopted when you were still a baby").  I don't have a freaking clue how old Two is supposed to be, but I doubt it's old enough that she could have produced a child at least 17 years prior to present day.

By "original" I meant Five's parents who were killed in some kind of accident. And yes, I'm meant that her sister isn't necessarily a biological sibling, and could have been adopted yet again. She may well be Five's bio-sibling, but it is not a given at this point. The sister being older doesn't preclude her being adopted by Five's parents originally.  (the quote is a little unclear, but I'm assuming this was in respect to the sister being adopted after their parents died).  For that matter, Five herself could have been adopted as well. I'm not proposing any of this is the case, but they are possible family scenarios. Which could be completely invalid if I've forgotten key facts - which is entirely possible.

As for Two, I do agree that she seems too young to have a daughter that age. But then again, her timeline/actual age is a little unclear - and her nanites could just be keeping her looking young as hell. 

Just working angles, here. No investment in any of them. I think it is probably the simplest path - a biological sister adopted by someone we already know.