Type keyword(s) to search

So Sharp - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think my biggest surprise was that they waited until the second episode to show us the truth about this show: mom of second-rate team member (Ryleigh, maybe? I hadn't noticed her before) shows up, and it's Jill Vertes (Kendall's mom, from Dance Moms). Has Jill finally realized that Kendall has no there there and ain't gonna be the star Stage Mommy was banking on Abby Miller's going to jail will kill off Dance Moms--and thus her (her=Kendall's or mommy's: you decide!) access to Closer to Fame will end. 

It it seemed obvious to me from the start that this was to be the replacement series for the ill-fated Dance Moms, but I must admit that, behind my already shameful hate-watching, realizing that Jill was related to the genesis of this show added a whole other level of self-loathing as I diligently check my DVR each week to make sure it's picking up the next episode.

• Love 5

I only caught the first ep when they replayed it on a Sat a few weeks ago...i don't even know when it normally airs...but I wasn not happy when I read on DM forum that Jill was on it cuz I liked the first ep. Ugh. I don't remember seeing any moms though, so how much will she be on? Has she been on any other eps? Maybe (hoping!) it was just to try to get some cross over viewers from DM and that will be it? Was her daughter any good, or is she another Kedall? 

I liked seeing more of the dancing in this than we see on DM. And I was digging the head guy (don't rememeber his name!).....until he thanked the snotty tattle tale....I thought for sure he was gonna go off on her for tattling, but no, instead he thanks her? Could she have been any more phony? Jealously is rampant in dance, so not surprised at any of the party conversation or the running to teacher with it, but it is his responsibility to put an end to that shit and I was disappointed he didn't.

The african american girl who was put out hat she lost center?.....stop throwing your upper body!. Actually, several of them did that....drives me nuts!!!!!

Edited by Cupcake04
Can't type on damn ipad!!!
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cupcake04 said:

I only caught the first ep when they replayed it on a Sat a few weeks ago...i don't even know when it normally airs...but I wasn not happy when I read on DM forum that Jill was on it cuz I liked the first ep.

Ugh. I don't remember seeing any moms though, so how much will she be on? Has she been on any other eps? Maybe (hoping!) it was just to try to get some cross over viewers from DM and that will be it? Was her daughter any good, or is she another Kedall? 

Oh, I hadn't read anything about the connection before that hosebeast showed up in the most staged scene I've seen on these shows. But, for the DM's connection, it was actually somewhat subtle: she was just named as "Jill Vertes, [Ryleigh?] Vertes's Mom (I'd think that even bringing Kendall along with her to stand by silently--as she'd do best--would be more their speed: it took seeing the name for me to actually make the connection and I HATE Jill! But it was one of those, "Where do I know this nightmare lady from? moments until I saw the chyron), and then she (Jill) had some very forced dialogue backstage (or in the lockers, or whatever it's called) pre-game with Todd, "jokingly" asking if he'd made Ryleigh (or whatever her name is. It could be Jane, for all I remember, but now it's Ryleigh) the center or whatever they call the position that they have all the drama about, and then added "'Cause you usually do that if you know I'm coming." 

Since I didn't remember the girl at all--and certainly didn't remember her being brought up as being one of the ones in general competition for a key spot in the original exposition that let us know that that would be the recurring conflict, or for either episode-specific one--I don't think it had even come up as a concern for any of these brats.

Which made Jill's line all the more pathetic, because it simultaneously suggested that, even if true, her kid only ever got the prime spot because the coach is a [rich?-]parent suck up AND that this recurring conflict the show had just made such efforts to create was, just that: for the show. On top of that, though, no, she wasn't (I guess he'd called her name to put her in the line-up for the week and I didn't remember that, either, so I could be wrong here, too), but I don't recall her having had any focus before that, certainly not in the ever-suspenseful drama of Who Will Be At The Top Of The Pyramid In The Center Spot for that week. 

In other words, yes, she's another Kendall.

Which makes the idea of the Verteses making more money off these shows even grosser to me. (I didn't think to check whether she got any production credit, but then I don't recall the mom who--if the origin story is true--first pitched the idea of DMs getting credit or hearing about their earning royalties (esp after they left the show), so maybe she won't and she'll have to keep pimping out KendallK's muzak and meet-n-greets to keep those dolls-dollas rolling in, and shuffle her plastic face over to this show to get her OR her Other Daughter more than background pay on this show.

(If I spelled Vertes wrong--or made it up too--sorry: I can't abide the thought of giving them even one more Google search to check).

• Love 2

I don't think this show is a replacement Dance Moms because Cheryl Burke is going to be the new coach and DM got renewed for another season. The parents don't factor into the episodes much if at all, except that one time that lady popped in. 

So far I'm enjoying the show. It's like a grown up version of Bring It. Too bad there isn't much snark happening here. 

Who do you think is in the ICU next week? Is it Kobie? Or someone else? 

• Love 2

I effing LOVE this guy ! I love that he's a kinda chubby guy playing "Beyonce", I love seeing him dancing, coaching ! This guy is a treasure !

If I knew him, he probably will have been one of my closest friends since more than 20 years.

• Love 1

Any actual dancers have any comment on how they look?  I couldn't quite figure out why Kobie was so incredible; she looked fine, but that was it to me.  I actually thought Marissa looked really good (even though she appears to be devoid of personality and empathy in real life) and the girl who wears the headband (Leah?  I can't get any of these girls straight) looked good and Taylor.  Overall, I didn't find the dance that interesting, but it may also be harder to come across on screen.

If I was a dancer, I'm not sure if I would like Sharp's coaching style.  To show favoritism to one girl and then brush it off as encouraging competition...he's lucky that didn't backfire royally on him.

• Love 2

I'm trying to figure out what the deal is between him and Patrick.  Todd is always saying some pretty suggestive sexual things to him, but Patrick seems awkward overall in front of the cameras so I can't really tell what kind of reaction he's having.  Is Todd into him? Did production think it would be a funny storyline and they're just going along with it? I feel like if I was already in a relationship and a close friend kept hitting on me I would distance myself from that person, but Patrick doesn't seem to.  I just wonder where they're going with the whole thing.

7 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

I effing LOVE this guy ! I love that he's a kinda chubby guy playing "Beyonce", I love seeing him dancing, coaching ! This guy is a treasure !

I do love that Todd is willing to dance and go full out,  He does seem like a lot of fun and a very positive person to be around!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

Overall, I didn't find the dance that interesting, but it may also be harder to come across on screen.

I find it annoying when the camera jumps around so much in a dance.  For example, when the death drop happened they showed it over and over again from different angles.  I would rather just watch the dance straight though, and I think the choppy camera work might be why the dances don't come across well.  Also, the dances are pretty short already, so if they show one part over and over then we're missing a pretty good chunk of it.

• Love 5

Please tell me most college students are more mature and less middle school than these seem... And for that matter, please tell me most college dance team coaches are more mature and stay out of rivalries and don't have such obvious favorites? Seriously, my 12 yr old's middle school cheer team has less drama...

Also, why would you only have half the girls dance for halftime, etc? They aren't being judged, and performing in front of the audience is a set of skills that cannot be practiced just in the studio. Cutting for competition I can see, but you can easily fit 40 dancers on a basketball court or football field! 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Also, why would you only have half the girls dance for halftime, etc? They aren't being judged, and performing in front of the audience is a set of skills that cannot be practiced just in the studio. Cutting for competition I can see, but you can easily fit 40 dancers on a basketball court or football field! 

Because competition and rivalry pushes them ? Beacause it makes them better ? Because everybody can't win ? Because that's basically how life works ? Because showing a top formation during the year, on the field, reinforces your image and your credibility with the judges when you compete ?

Nothing personnal, it's just what my years in gymnastics and syncho swimming taught me

Edited by Diane Mars

It seems really weird to have twice the number of girls that they need (unless they're used in some other way they don't show).  I could see having a few alternates in case of injury but why take twice the number of girls that you actually need?  It seems like a lot of wasted time and effort for everyone.  They essentially have 15 or 20 understudies that all need to rehearse. . . . . Setting the routines with everyone from the start and then rehearsing seems like better practice, certainly not wasting the time of dancers who are on the team for years before they ever get to dance.   I'm sure some of it is for the drama of the show but if it's not it's a weird way to run a performing group.

I'm not a fan of the dance team style as it is though.  They take all the artistry out of dance and just use it as everyone doing the exact same thing at the exact same time with "sass".

The makeup and tans on these girls . . . the one that never gets to dance and isn't invited to sleepovers (who has sleepovers in college ??) is so bad.

• Love 2

I can't stand Marissa the tattle tale (and Todd for listening to her). Could she look anymore like a vampire in her talking head segments? 

The troweled on makeup for practices cracks me up. This show is my guilty pleasure.

• Love 6
On 8/19/2017 at 11:40 PM, LittleIggy said:

I can't stand Marissa the tattle tale (and Todd for listening to her). Could she look anymore like a vampire in her talking head segments? 

The troweled on makeup for practices cracks me up. This show is my guilty pleasure.

I'm like a daughter to him so im gonna run a tattle on everyone cause I'm his favorite ugh someone just shut her up

• Love 2

I just found this show and I watched every episode out in one sitting. There is no way the drama is not fake. I think they're just trying to sell it for tv. I hate the fake drama, but I love their dancing.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:30 PM, Diane Mars said:
On 8/19/2017 at 1:35 PM, dmmetler said:

Because competition and rivalry pushes them ? Beacause it makes them better ? Because everybody can't win ? Because that's basically how life works ? Because showing a top formation during the year, on the field, reinforces your image and your credibility with the judges when you compete ?

Nothing personnal, it's just what my years in gymnastics and syncho swimming taught me

This. These girls are less mature than other girls their age because this is what happens in competitive sports. They all face the pressure cooker and then act out. They are stronger than most, physically, but the acting out makes sense, too. I think Sharp defending the title and riding these girls hard is the right thing to do. What is with the coddling these days. It's why your kids live in your basement at 30. 

If a girl wants to be noticed more, they have to reconcile that they are not being noticeable. Just be better! And if you can't, accept that you are an alternate on the team and that's that. Not everyone is a star.

At least on this show we don't have the parents involved, which is such a waste of time. 

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 3:29 PM, methadonna said:

I think my biggest surprise was that they waited until the second episode to show us the truth about this show: mom of second-rate team member (Ryleigh, maybe? I hadn't noticed her before) shows up, and it's Jill Vertes (Kendall's mom, from Dance Moms). Has Jill finally realized that Kendall has no there there and ain't gonna be the star Stage Mommy was banking on Abby Miller's going to jail will kill off Dance Moms--and thus her (her=Kendall's or mommy's: you decide!) access to Closer to Fame will end.

I wish she encouraged her kids into a different field, because she is delusional.

I discovered this show on Tuesday night and I watched all the episodes and I want so much more.

I wish they would show hometowns, majors, previous dance experience.

I am also curious why so many of the ladies are connected. Ryleigh and Rose went to the same high school (they are sort of local to me, as well as the Abby Lee Studio) how do both girls end up at Louisville? Was it a goal of both of them? Two sisters both make it, does an older sister on the team give you an in (Kaya and Chloe)? Cousins are there together (Kobie and Taylor)? What is the try out process like?

How much time do they spend practicing? How does it work with school work? Partying? Drinking?? Is there an off season and what do they do during breaks from school? Please give me a tell all.

I am absolutely hooked on this show now!

Edited by CourtneyCourt
  • Love 2
On 8/21/2017 at 4:05 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

I'm like a daughter to him so im gonna run a tattle on everyone cause I'm his favorite ugh someone just shut her up

or "I can get her kicked off the team". Marissa is AS UGLY on the inside as she is on the outside. And a liar to boot?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TexBaby said:

or "I can get her kicked off the team". Marissa is AS UGLY on the inside as she is on the outside. And a liar to boot?

She looks like a vampire. Someone should stake her! This show is my guilty pleasure!

• Love 1
On 8/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, Chewy101 said:

I think the problem is everyone with real talent would not be wasting time on a reality show. It is B-list all the way.

B list? You are aware that the Ladybirds are a National Championship team many times over, aren't you? 

• Love 3

Todd is such a fascinating train wreck, lol. I think they clearly went out and tried to find the male Abby Lee Miller. So incredibly petty and narcissistic! He gets so easily insulted by every little thing, and rather than shutting down all the gossipmongering and tattletaling, he plays right into it! The sections with him constantly low-key hitting on Patrick (much to the guy's disinterest or discomfort--hard to tell) are too much. 

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 6:01 PM, CourtneyCourt said:

I discovered this show on Tuesday night and I watched all the episodes and I want so much more.

I wish they would show hometowns, majors, previous dance experience.

I am also curious why so many of the ladies are connected. Ryleigh and Rose went to the same high school (they are sort of local to me, as well as the Abby Lee Studio) how do both girls end up at Louisville? Was it a goal of both of them? Two sisters both make it, does an older sister on the team give you an in (Kaya and Chloe)? Cousins are there together (Kobie and Taylor)? What is the try out process like?

I can understand the clumps of women in colleges. At my college, we had several large groups of students from the same place. From my high school alone, there were 8 of us in a class of just over 200. In my brother's class, there were 53 students who all went to the same university. It also happens with families. I was the third generation of students to attend my college in my class, my pledge sister had two older and 3 younger siblings who had been through. Taking it further, in my pledge class of 30, I had 7 girls from New Orleans from 4 different schools, 3 of them had danced together since they were small although only two of them attended the same school (along with 4 other girls who were not in our sorority but who attended school with us). When you are talking about very specific groups (like the top collegiate dance team) or even a family legacy, you will see clumps of people who know each other before. I think if they offer any sort of scholarships for the team, I could understand him going to see two or three girls at a school over just a girl or relatives in a family making the team because the older can teach the younger the ropes.

I do wish we knew more about what they are studying and where they are from.

• Love 1

Also, coaches tend to send kids to their alma mater. I'm guessing there are a lot of high school dance team/private team coaches who were ladybirds. Even if Todd doesn't favor the students of his past favorites, they know what he's looking for and can recommend the school to girls who would be a good fit. 

• Love 1

I initially wanted to watch this show because I'm originally from Louisville but I've been sucked in!

I have a question though:  how in the world can Todd be the coach, leading the Birds to Nationals, without any dance training?  It seems like all he's done is watch Beyonce videos and tried to emulate them.  I watch DCC Making the Team and even though Judy and Kelly can't do the routines now, they were formal cheerleaders, so they get it.  

Just like Abby had Gianna on Dance Moms - Todd Sharp has Cheryl Knight. Gianna pretty much choreographed the dances for Abby - Abby just fine tuned them. I believe Cheryl is the real choreographer and Todd partners with her to clean up the dances.

What I don't like is that they don't have more interaction with the guys that are part of the team. The guys do more in the dances than we see on TV.  http://blog.thelineup.com/team-spotlight-2017-national-champions-louisville-ladybirds - spoiler about Nationals - don't click if you don't want to know!!!

My question is I still can't figure out if Todd is gay or not. Most of the guys I danced with were gay and I do have a friend who's partner was married 12 yrs to a woman - but I also have a neighbor - who you would think is gay and he's straight as an arrow and married for over 40 yrs. And then what is the trainer's involvement - I thought it was said he is married but the innuendos that come out of Todd suggest they have a thing. I'd rather personally cut out all that and focus more on the girls - and more than just the few they choose to show us as it seemed to me from the video I linked - there is a definite change in the lineup - from what we see on the show vs what is performed. I can see who I assume is Kobie, Taylor and Marissa - but the others are changed.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:52 PM, Teddybear said:

I initially wanted to watch this show because I'm originally from Louisville but I've been sucked in!

I have a question though:  how in the world can Todd be the coach, leading the Birds to Nationals, without any dance training?  It seems like all he's done is watch Beyonce videos and tried to emulate them.  I watch DCC Making the Team and even though Judy and Kelly can't do the routines now, they were formal cheerleaders, so they get it.  

Todd has a TON of experience coaching (over 20 years), here is a blurb on him

"Originally from Floyds Knobs, Indiana, he graduated from Floyd Central High School the same school where he now coaches. Initially Sharp was approached by a friend to help coach the Dazzlers. It was supposed to be a one-time thing but when a position opened up he decided to apply and the rest is history. He thought he’d coach for one or two years later but twenty years later, he credits coaching as one of the greatest things that has happened to him and keeping him young. After coaching the Dazzlers for a few years Sharp opened Planet Dance Studio. Planet Dance All-Stars is now a competition dance studio for students ages 3 years to collegiate. The studio is the permanent training home for the Dazzlers and the Ladybirds."

Floyd Central High School is known for winning, you'll recognize a few faces in this video I'm gonna post. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB880dWY2vQ

To be a good dance coach, you don't really need to be a dancer yourself. If you can memorize a score sheet and know how to hit it, you can win. Of course, he has help with choreography but Todd can hit a score sheet, motivate a team and help produce winning routines. That is really all he needs, but after coaching for as long as he has, he also knows what good and bad technique looks like, when formations aren't in line, placing...etc. In a few rare glimpses we've actually watched him give dance teacher type feedback in terms of leg placement, foot turn out...etc. 

Also, there are teenagers who will pick their colleges based on what is offered. Eric Ortiz, one of the guys you see in the Hip-Hop, cheered at their national winning UofL CoEd team for the 4 years prior. UofL is known for both their dance and cheer teams and people will apply to the school just to be on them. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 2

Iggy - so glad to see someone agrees with me - of course that was scripted as with all that's going on I doubt Todd could really care about Marissa's opinion on Gabrielle at this point - but I was going to say the same thing - she'll make a good attorney - not one you trust - but one that will rip you to pieces. There are people like that who are respected because of how they treat a client - then there are those like Marissa who will be despised by people and attorneys alike because they are so nasty and self absorbed. I am sick of Gabrielle's incessant whining but can see she really does try hard to be on the team.

• Love 2

I really like  watching him but i do not like his way of encouraging/discouraging the drama.  It's so uncomfortable. I like that he tries to stop the negativity but he needs to stop a few favored members of his team.  The shitty sleepover thing needed to be shut down by him and hard. 

• Love 3
On 9/20/2017 at 9:52 AM, Loves2Dance said:

"Originally from Floyds Knobs, Indiana, he graduated from Floyd Central High School the same school where he now coaches. Initially Sharp was approached by a friend to help coach the Dazzlers. It was supposed to be a one-time thing but when a position opened up he decided to apply and the rest is history. He thought he’d coach for one or two years later but twenty years later, he credits coaching as one of the greatest things that has happened to him and keeping him young. After coaching the Dazzlers for a few years Sharp opened Planet Dance Studio. Planet Dance All-Stars is now a competition dance studio for students ages 3 years to collegiate. The studio is the permanent training home for the Dazzlers and the Ladybirds."

Floyd Central High School is known for winning, you'll recognize a few faces in this video I'm gonna post. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB880dWY2vQ

To be a good dance coach, you don't really need to be a dancer yourself. If you can memorize a score sheet and know how to hit it, you can win. Of course, he has help with choreography but Todd can hit a score sheet, motivate a team and help produce winning routines. That is really all he needs, but after coaching for as long as he has, he also knows what good and bad technique looks like, when formations aren't in line, placing...etc. In a few rare glimpses we've actually watched him give dance teacher type feedback in terms of leg placement, foot turn out...etc. 

Also, there are teenagers who will pick their colleges based on what is offered. Eric Ortiz, one of the guys you see in the Hip-Hop, cheered at their national winning UofL CoEd team for the 4 years prior. UofL is known for both their dance and cheer teams and people will apply to the school just to be on them. 

Can you give me a hint who I should recognize - I'm horrible at it.

On 14 August, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Cupcake04 said:

I liked seeing more of the dancing in this than we see on DM. And I was digging the head guy (don't rememeber his name!).....until he thanked the snotty tattle tale....I thought for sure he was gonna go off on her for tattling, but no, instead he thanks her? Could she have been any more phony? Jealously is rampant in dance, so not surprised at any of the party conversation or the running to teacher with it, but it is his responsibility to put an end to that shit and I was disappointed he didn't.

I do enjoy watching the various dance/cheer routines, but like you I do not understand the story arc behind commending Marissa (goth misery queen) for her constant exaggerated gossip. Is she his secret kid? What makes her opinion even worthy of showcasing. So, because of her I am bowing out. Good luck to Todd though. I like his personality. I like Patrick too. How about the two of them go into a sitcom about health and weight?

Snark - for gals in college, some of them look really old. Todd's demands must be the reason for all those forehead wrinkles.

• Love 1
On 22 August, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Chewy101 said:

This. These girls are less mature than other girls their age because this is what happens in competitive sports. They all face the pressure cooker and then act out. They are stronger than most, physically, but the acting out makes sense, too. I think Sharp defending the title and riding these girls hard is the right thing to do. What is with the coddling these days. It's why your kids live in your basement at 30. 

I agree with your reasoning (especially regarding competitive sports) but I watched three "So Sharp"shows today and saw maybe (being generous here) 5 or 6 consistently 'good' dancers. Otherwise, I don't get who is actually competing for spots, given these girls dance similar, and look mediocre. I'll be the first to say I could never do any of the steps they do, BUT these girls don't make me respond like the try-outs for America dance competitions. I don't care enough to even remember their names. As for the centre girl whose talent caused the coaches to cry? Sorry… don't get it. Maybe, because their game routines are on television, we don't get to see the real, full dance routines? Who knows? (Who cares?)

• Love 1
On 20 September, 2017 at 9:58 PM, LittleIggy said:

I'm so sick of Todd listening to Marissa's tattling and backstabbing. He should shut it down.  Speaking as a former attorney, the soulless Marissa should make a great attorney. I can see her working for an insurance company.

Littleiggy, what makes me roll my eyes though, is that whenever I find a character on television who is downright nasty, completely annoying, or just not essential to the show, they end up being the "star" or kept on as an audience "lure". Watch - Marissa will be the only one to continue on in entertainment.

What can't I see what makes these nasty people so employable in entertainment? Examples of characters who I've detested enough to get a shiver down my back (and who I would loudly protest wouldn't last) : Mohammed and Danielle, JB Duggar, the head guy of the Sister Wives, and that short little pyscho who's the head of Scientology. Now, Marissa… Sigh...

On 20 September, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Loves2Dance said:

"Originally from Floyds Knobs, Indiana…"

Completely off topic, but… what an unfortunate town name.

Edited by Chalby
On 10/4/2017 at 0:16 AM, Chalby said:
On 8/22/2017 at 9:54 PM, Chewy101 said:

I agree with your reasoning (especially regarding competitive sports) but I watched three "So Sharp"shows today and saw maybe (being generous here) 5 or 6 consistently 'good' dancers. Otherwise, I don't get who is actually competing for spots, given these girls dance similar, and look mediocre. I'll be the first to say I could never do any of the steps they do, BUT these girls don't make me respond like the try-outs for America dance competitions. I don't care enough to even remember their names. As for the centre girl whose talent caused the coaches to cry? Sorry… don't get it. Maybe, because their game routines are on television, we don't get to see the real, full dance routines? Who knows? (Who cares?)

When I mentioned this I was corrected about how many titles the team has won. Well,not these girls. It's a big team. I find it hard to believe these reality fame whores are the members of the team who are national champion winners. But when reality is scripted, things get confused. The only thing to watch this show for his Sharp and his brilliant blend of self deprecation and confidence. I love the guy.

• Love 2

Even I, not a dancer by any stretch of the imagination, noticed when Kayla fell out of her signature move in that final routine. Maybe the Ladybirds’ reputation gave them the added umph in the judges’ minds that pushed them over the top.

Next basketball season will need a distraction like the Ladybirds after the Pitino scandal! 

(edited)

This is so shocking.

I really enjoyed this one, for the amount of dancing they showed, not for the inter-squad drama.       

It's not just the university either:

https://www.wave3.com/2019/04/24/troubleshooter-exclusive-ex-uofl-dance-coach-was-also-investigated-local-high-school/

He apparently resigned from the high school also.   

I wonder how this has affected his dance studio, it was the training studio for both teams.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama