Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: Journey into Fear, Part 1

OK, so far, so good........howevah.  I'm not a big fan of floaters.  I don't like being confronted/touched.  That right there will skeeve me out but if it is just for the challenge, that's aight.  I wish I could have been in the test group though....been a while since I've had a good haunted house.  Me, I'm more of a Universal Studios Monster gal.

OK, here I go re-imaging what they should have done.  Once the three creatures were done, then have Roy come in and fabricate  some part of it to be mobile.  They did the fabrication way too early (horns didn't fit), arms' fingers didn't move, etc. before enough of the creature was done to make the fabrications fit in. 

Did they have two days or three to do this?  Used latex could cut it to two?

Did we see insectoid features anywhere?  

(The invited audience did make me feel aged, which is valid and probably exactly the market Glenn is targeting.)

• Love 1

I would think the haunted house would be in the 18-45 range - if alcohol is served. Or is the legal age in CA 21? Other than that, drop it to 14 with adult accompaniment. Am not sure I would want the 'cast' touching me, but that is just me.

I liked both Glenn's and Mr. Westmore's critiques. And more of a role for Mr. Westmore than his two minutes of mentoring. It would be really fun to hang out with both of them and learn about Hollywood makeup and camera work. Any criticism was constructive and professional, plus intelligent and respectful. No tearing apart the design - just suggestions for improvements.

I do wish they had more time to do their work. Roy is a good fabricator - unfortunately he came along waaaay too soon. The facetestants could simply have used a prototype until they received these initial comments and feedback. I didn't love any of them but the creepy German lab doctor was decent.

• Love 2

Wow, poor KC.  If they were awarding the championship for coolness and self-possession, she would definitely be the winner. I groaned when I saw she was stuck with Jill - based on her past performance, I knew there was no way Jill would pull her weight, leaving the other 2 to pick up the slack.  I never expected she would actually screw up  something so important (apparently there was a lot of emphasis on hand, reaching toward the guests),I guess the best approach might have been to have her sit int he corner.  Of course, there probably was major editing, but KC is still my fave. 

I thought Andrew's scientist was quite good, but I didn't really understand the bug/ thing.  Or, why the bug had clearly human clothes on?  Why one wing?  Perhaps there could have been the stump of the other wing. 

Finally, I was impressed by Kiersten's creations, which is funny because I thought her work throughout the season (except, possibly, last week) was sub par.  I guess she really is stepping it up, which is good.

• Love 3

I think running into Glenn unexpectedly in a dark room would be just as scary as meeting a costumed "monster."  I like him but I'll never understand his "fashion" choices.  

I enjoyed seeing Roy again.  I was happy to hear that he continues to be successful.

Every time I see Kiersten, I think she's Brooke from Top Chef.  

I hope Andrew can pull out the win.

• Love 9

So.... when does part two air, hmmm Syfy? Next week has tonight ep rerunning before Game Face premieres, so assuming my satellite's guide isn't lying (which it does, frequently) does that mean the second part of the finale is airing in two weeks?

Haunted houses are not my cup of tea at all, so I'm just going to sit here in the corner and be quiet.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

So.... when does part two air, hmmm Syfy? Next week has tonight ep rerunning before Game Face premieres, so assuming my satellite's guide isn't lying (which it does, frequently) does that mean the second part of the finale is airing in two weeks?

My guide is showing part 2 airing before Game Face, sounds like your guide is wrong.

• Love 1

That was....... not a bad episode.  I still don't know or care about any of the contestants, but I liked the challenge.  It's not quite as "out there" as some of the past finale challenges, but I like that Glenn and Mr. Westmore were able to give constructive critiques and the finalists have a chance to go back and make improvements.

• Love 3

I wish they had offered a fourth choice of room because it sucks to be last one to choose and be "stuck" with whatever everyone else didn't want.  At least having to choose between two things would give you some sort of agency/control over what you end up doing.  I didn't think they were that scary, and it was worse because they all did that roaring growl thing at the audience members during the test run.

• Love 1

Last night, Jill was sitting in back of Glenn as he and Mr. Westmore as they critqued the critters.  She must have been very tired because she didn't appear to be at all invested in the learning process.  

I would have thought that the two helpers would have been madly taking notes to make sure that they got all the comments.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, GaT said:

My guide is showing part 2 airing before Game Face, sounds like your guide is wrong.

Thanks, GaT - I suspected as much, but it's good to know.

And how did I forget to say this last night, but ROY! <3 I enjoyed watching him so much in both of his seasons. I'm only sorry that they had him come along too soon, as Frozendiva said, so that his creations didn't work out.

• Love 1

Did Andrew have his German doctor in a Nazi uniform?  Wouldn't a lab coat have been more appropriate?  Otherwise, I didn't see anything particularly scary about any of the characters.  I've never been in a haunted house but I'm guessing that people scream more because of the atmosphere and the "ooga  booga" factor of something suddenly jumping out at them.

I was a bit put off on the "German/Nazi" lab, like there are not others, but was overall ok with the ideas.  I think Andrew has this, though I'm obviously rooting for KC.  I can't root for Kiersten.  I just can't.  But may everyone put on one hell of a show.  To answer above, I'm seeing Pt. 2 next week, 22nd, followed by Game Face.  That'll be interesting to balance with Ink Master............

• Love 1
On 8/16/2017 at 0:31 AM, mlp said:

I think running into Glenn unexpectedly in a dark room would be just as scary as meeting a costumed "monster."  I like him but I'll never understand his "fashion" choices.  

Yeah, Glenn looks scarier than any of the looks the contestants came up with. 

As for the haunted house visitors, of course you will scream if something jumps out at you.

• Love 2

One thing I like about this finale format is that it is a little more practical. Normally they are just told what the challenge is and then they two or three days to make it with only brief feedback from Mr. Westmore (sometimes when they've barely started sculpting). With the finale, they get to see what their creations look like in the actual setting and then they get notes from Glenn so that they can make adjustments. I'm sure there are some jobs that are closer to the challenge circumstances, but given what I've seen from behind the scenes stuff on shows like The Magicians, it seems more realistic that on a real set, they would be given a more detailed description of what they should be creating, more feedback, and more time to create. The discussions that all three of the finalists had with Glenn seemed very collaborative (both during the initial consultation and after seeing their creations on set), which I liked.

22 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Last night, Jill was sitting in back of Glenn as he and Mr. Westmore as they critqued the critters.  She must have been very tired because she didn't appear to be at all invested in the learning process.  

I would have thought that the two helpers would have been madly taking notes to make sure that they got all the comments.

She felt ashamed she messed up and probably tired and at the end of the day, she's just a helper. KC (the actual competitor) would likely repeat the critiques back anyway when they got back to the workroom.  I wouldn't sabotage someone if I was in that role but I'm not going to break my back for them especially if it's not my work or visual, i'm only supposed to do what I've been told and we aren't that close.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Lilacly said:

I wouldn't sabotage someone if I was in that role but I'm not going to break my back for them especially if it's not my work or visual, i'm only supposed to do what I've been told and we aren't that close.

I would be looking at the bigger picture of making connections in the industry I'm trying to work in and making a good impression on people who could get me a job down the road. Even if I hated the person I was working for I'd want to impress the hell out of Glenn, Mr. Westmore, anyone who might watch, because they are in a very close knit industry and people talk. I wouldn't want anyone talking about what a lazy slacker I was. I'd want them to be talking about how amazing my work was even though I wasn't in the competition anymore. I'd want people to be like "Damn, I want to work with that girl!" Though, I suppose that ship has already sailed for Jill. I don't think her turn on this show has done her any favors.

• Love 11

I was glad to see Roy again but yes it was too early for his work.  Every single thing he made was somehow a failure.  The wing broke, Glenn didn't like the fingers (though I thought they looked really cool on film), and the horns weren't even used.  I agree strongly with @KCMussman, you're the horn queen -- why on earth didn't you make your own horns?  Surely there must have been something else for Roy to do for you?  She was talking about obsidian-looking horns and he produced foam horns.  Not even close. I was bummed the wing broke because it looked like it might have been cool.  I thought Roy's suggestion to attach it to the table was odd though, as the performer was going to jump off the table after the wing began to move. Maybe they neglected to tell that to Roy?  I was glad they decided to leave the mechanism on the actor.  Hopefully next week it will work well.

Face Off is still my favorite show, but this season has been the worst ever.  

• Love 4
On 8/18/2017 at 8:16 AM, Cowgirl said:

I was glad to see Roy again but yes it was too early for his work.  Every single thing he made was somehow a failure.  The wing broke, Glenn didn't like the fingers (though I thought they looked really cool on film), and the horns weren't even used.  I agree strongly with @KCMussman, you're the horn queen -- why on earth didn't you make your own horns?  Surely there must have been something else for Roy to do for you?  She was talking about obsidian-looking horns and he produced foam horns.  Not even close.

Roy said he had just done huge horns that looked very realistic, unfortunatly with everything else going on it was impossible to sculpt the horns, they would have taken me all challenge and there where a lot of hardships and struggles (each challenge is only 15 hours lab work)

One of my greatest struggles was sculpting everything large scale to fit oversized 6 foot feet they built from wood into the chair. 

That made would make the makeup very heavy and unstable.

Also the chair is going to move so I struggled to figure out how to make large scale pieces that did not flop or wobble off, without knowing how the chair will move- we could not test it. 

. When roy offered to do the horns it was like angels singing. And he did awesome work on the foam but they only gave us 2 hours with him... That was not enough

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

When roy offered to do the horns it was like angels singing. And he did awesome work on the foam but they only gave us 2 hours with him... That was not enough

It kind of looked that way from over here in the cheap seats, KC.  I don't think  I'm the only fan that isn't happy about the reduced times given for the challenges - we're all really eager to see just what you talented people can accomplish!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6

I didn't watch this episode until the finale actually aired, so I could watch them in a double feature. As much as I like Roy, his guest appearance was probably the most pointless thing ever this season, especially with those horns for KC. I'm glad he offloaded some of the work for you, but it ended up being useless. I was not happy about hearing from Jill again. The only make-up I really liked was Andrew's mad scientist, though KC's big demon was a pretty good as well.

Edited by Richness
A demon is not a demo.
  • Love 1