Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Operation Chronicle

With Larrick closing in, Elizabeth rushes to exfiltrate Jared while Philip readies Fred for a crucial mission. Arkady finally plays his hand, forcing Stan to make an impossible choice.

OMG!!!!  It looks awesome!!  I don't want there to be only 2 episodes left!  I wonder how E got Jared to go with her?  That poor kid.  Get shipped off to the USSR or what??  DIE?  Remember, they killed that woman and shipped her infant to her dead husband's very elderly parents in the USSR because she figured out that they were spies and she was innocent too.  Someone said maybe Canada but to live with who?  Another family of illegals?  I wonder if Arkady and Nina are going to squeeze Stan for Echo info in the scene that looks like S & N's "love shack."

• Love 1

I know, this looks so great. I have a hard time imagining the Canada scenario because once Jared knows the truth, he's a huge liability unless there's a reason he won't talk. There would be next to no risk he'd rat on his own parents, but a strange family he feels no loyalty to? That's a huge risk to the KGB for little reward. It would be much easier and safer for them to simply return him to the Soviet Union where he could be with family and where he would have little to no way of getting word out to anyone.

• Love 1

There would be next to no risk he'd rat on his own parents, but a strange family he feels no loyalty to?

If he did rat on his dead parents now, would the KGB even need to kill him?  Assuming that is all he knows and wasn't activley working too, how valuable would he be?  Our gov't knows that illegals exist and probably how they basically operate but jut not who and the details. On the other hand, like Philip and Elizabeth have stuff in their laundry room, wouldn't all of the illegals have things in their homes that would be very, very valuable to our gov't.  I wonder if their handlers clear all of that out when the couple can't so it isn't found.  I could see Gregory and his team being a good moving company!! 

P.S I just got a warning point on another site and an unnecessary comment about using only initials when posting.  Still be careful there!!  

(edited)

Oh,man, is it getting tense in here, or is it just me?

I don't understand how Larrick was tracking them, and what was that backpack, and what was that building in the snow? Help, I bleat.

I'm now officially haunted by the question, Why did Kate meet Jarred with no disguise?

Jarred's got to turn on these people at some point, if he doesn't get killed first.They've ruined his life, and now intend to make it more awful. He should meet Paige and they could team up to get kid revenge. He seems so suspiciously passive.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 1
(edited)

It looked like Larrick was using the transmitter in Jared's backpack to track them as far as that restaurant (the building in the snow).  Elizabeth used the restaurant bathroom as a location for Jared to change clothes because the actual restaurant was closed for winter, which meant that there wouldn't be many people around. It's not clear how that transmitter got into Jared's backpack in the first place, maybe Larrick put it there previously, maybe Kate?  After Jared changed into his new stuff, the old backpack with the transmitter was left in the trash.    I don't understand how Larrick then tracked Jared to the train station just by using a paper map and making a few circles on it.  Did he just drive to the nearest train station?  And at the station in upstate New York, the janitor told him that Jared was picked up by a woman with a truck.  Pray tell how Larrick is going to use that tiny bit of information to track Jared to the cabin?

Oleg gave Nina the money so that she could escape if Stan doesn't come through with Echo.  Did he seem to be trying to silently tell her that the operation was not looking good and that she should book it now?  Or just hold on to the money in case things take a turn for the worse?

Finally, the special paint sample absorbing shoes.  Really?  The Russians are going to give Fred some special shoes that are going to get enough of a sample of the radar absorbing paint just by his walking around near the project?  Not buying it.

Edited by Hollybeez
  • Love 2

Hollybeez, thanks. Maybe the truth is topsy-turvy. Maybe Jarred is actually working with Larrick for some reason, and that's how the transmitter got in the backpack. That would also explain his (to me) strange passivity in going along with everything, and might be connected to the mystery of why Kate wasn't in disguise.

Or, oh so totally, not.

• Love 2
(edited)

When Phillip said that Fred had a closet full of toys for Jared, I immediately thought that Fred was the one who killed Emmett and Leanne.  Their deaths might not have had anything to do with spying, but might have been the result of the fantasies of a lonely man.  Maybe he told Jared about his parents, but the million dollar questions remains:  Why did Kate meet with Jared without a disguise? 

I don't understand why Larrick is after Jared.  If he was after Elizabeth and Phillip, why didn't he make his move when Elizabeth showed up?

Arkady came hard at Stan, and it was clear that he wasn't fucking around about Nina.  The situation really was do or die for her even though she was in on it.  Real talk combined with real bruises went a long way.  It looks like Stan is gonna turn, but maybe not.  He's certainly ripe for the picking now that Sandra's gonna move in with her boyfriend.

I am officially in love with Oleg.  If he and Nina end up together, I see the two of them running serious game on folks.

I don't really get Paige's obsession with what her parents are doing.  At that age, I was totally into myself and only interested in the activities of my parents to the extent that they were trying to ruin my life!  Maybe she just craves adult attention.  At the end of that scene on the bus, it looked like she had the glint of a crush in her eye watching the pastor walk away.

Elizabeth is having serious second thoughts about everything.  When she said that Paige and Henry would be dead in an alley within an hour if something happened to her and Phillip, I knew she had mentally moved on to Plan B.

Martha mentioned the toupee.  Poor Martha.

Edited by sukeyna
  • Love 4

I have to voice some concern over certain parts of the writing.  I agree that this obsession that Page has with her parent's activities is odd.  Most teens are concerned with doing their thing and if parents are out of their business, then fine. And the plea about her mom helping her pack for an overnight trip? NO way.  I've never heard of a 15 year-old girl wanting her mom to help pack her overnight bag.  Ridiculous.  

I'm also don't understand why smart agents like Philip and Elizabeth wouldn't have their minds on top alert with the culmination of certain events.  They should be putting some things together not just mulling along.  It's shocking to me.  They trust that Larrick just went away and is playing nice, especially after what they have been warned about him.  Kate is missing, Jared's in danger.....come on.  Add things up. 

What house was Larrick standing in when he was looking out the window at Jarred and Elizabeth pull away? Was he in Jarred's house?  Is he Jarred's guardian?  I know we saw the family friend that Jarred had been staying with, but did they ever show her husband?

(edited)

Oh,man, is it getting tense in here, or is it just me?

Same here. No other show feels so tense. Even right at the end, when Elizabeth walked into her house, I knew Larrick wasn't anywhere near and yet I felt relief when Philip came down the stairs, at least 2 of them can take him. This season has made me paranoid.

Otherwise, logically I could see how Larrick followed the clues to where Jared was but I think he got lots of help from the plot. The lady at the station was too eager to help, Elizabeth should've bought a ticket with a different destination to the real one and the guy at the end just happened to see the kid getting onto a truck. Too easy for my liking. Anyway, why is Larrick after Jared? Is that connected to his revenge agenda? He's already killed the KGB radio  guy, a KGB handler and he was really close to a KGB operative and he let her go so that he could track Jared? Why Jared? Why did Kate meet Jared without a disguise and why did she immediately assume Jared (and not Elizabeth/Philip) was exposed? And how is all this connected to Emmet's family's murders?

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 1

I so don't want anything bad to happen to Jared.

Why didn't Clark just say next year or something? Avoid an argument and keep her docile.

But back to the kids-- it bugs me that neither Paige nor Henry ever drop their friends' names in conversation-- it makes the dialogue strange. And what about Jared? Doesn't he have friends too?

I also love Oleg now. I like him and Nina together. I have no use for Stan and don't know how Nina can bear him at this point.

• Love 2

I so don't want anything bad to happen to Jared.

Why didn't Clark just say next year or something? Avoid an argument and keep her docile.

But back to the kids-- it bugs me that neither Paige nor Henry ever drop their friends' names in conversation-- it makes the dialogue strange. And what about Jared? Doesn't he have friends too?

I also love Oleg now. I like him and Nina together. I have no use for Stan and don't know how Nina can bear him at this point.

Oh please nothing happen to Jared. I was holding my breath that Larrick was going to get him.

The whole Paige thing took a weird turn - when I was that I age I didn't care what my parent was doing and I wished they didn't care what I was doing. 

Oleg and Nina killed me tonight. I thought that scene was beautiful and he was telling her without words how he felt and she him. Mr. Soapfan thought Oleg was playing Nina until that point. I was really hoping her face was make up and not the real thing.

Ewww, Stan. Why do I have a feeling he's going to let Nina down the same way he's let everyone else down? I loved that his family showed him they had a life completely apart from him and he didn't get to just check back in when he wants. 

Elizabeth seems way off her game to me. I thought 'Clark' jumped on the no kids bandwagon to start to drive a wedge between him and Martha so she can get fed up and get a divorce later on. 

Poor ignored Henry.

• Love 1

I've always kind of assumed that Emmett was having an affair with Fred. I think it has been suggested a few ways, including when Stan interviewed Fred and I think it was implied between the line that Fred was gay. I think that is also how they got to Larrick and how they knew he was gay. I think Emmett honey trapped him.

• Love 5
(edited)

What I found somewhat perplexing/frustrating, is that it doesn't seem as though Elizabeth asked Jared any actual pertinent questions while she was driving him around, unless I missed something. About meeting Kate. About how it is that he knows about his parents. About how much he actually knows about who his parents are and what they did. About how involved he was (or wasn't) in their work. Whether he knows or was told anything about his family's murders. I understand wanting to keep some things hanging for the finale, or next season (ack!), but I was surprised we didn't see Elizabeth at least try to get some info out of him, even if it didn't work (I would have no problem believing that Kate or whoever would have given him replies for anyone asking questions he shouldn't be answering, even other "safe" KGB). I didn't mind Jared's passivity (since we have no idea what his deal is) as much as I questioned Elizabeth's.

I don't think Jared killed his parents -- if he was acting in when he got back to the hotel room, he will be an UBER-SPY, the likes of which neither side has ever seen. If the KGB had done it, I would think they would at least remove the code book from the room; Phillip barely got it out of there. Even Larrick might have done that. That's my main confusion about who potentially killed them...it looks like a professional hit, as they got the drop on two super-professional spies/assassins, got head shots, etc., but who has the understanding of who they really are, the motive to kill them, the ability to do so with professional speed and brutality, BUT has little to no interest in ensuring their identities as KGB spies wouldn't be exposed?

Between that and trying to figure out Nina -- what she actually wants, what will happen to her, etc. -- this show has me kind of turned around and exhausted in the best possible way, lol. I have no idea if Nina actually truly cares for either Stan or Oleg (I kind of think both, a little), I do think she is a true-blue lover of Mother Russia (otherwise she was crazy to admit her betrayals to Arkady last year, I thought that was a move of conscience after Vlad was killed), but such a consummate survivor that probably none of it matters at all. Snaps of respect to her for having one guy on each side so willing to risk everything to her (unless Stan or Oleg or Arkady is running yet another angle here!). She's still in an impossibly tight bind, but she knows how to keep those options available!

I've liked Arkady since he was spray-painting cars in the Season 1 finale. He was a boss in the episode for sure. More of him (and him with Gaad, when possible) please!

I don't think Paige's behavior is that out of bounds -- maybe if Elizabeth hadn't suddenly and mysteriously disappeared after she was shot (shortly after her parents had separated for no real given reason to boot), Paige would shrug off her suspicions about her parents' lies, but I think that was just too much for her to take without trying to get something more out of them. This, more than protesting the American military, is why it'd probably be smarter for Elizabeth to let Paige go all out with the church. It will be a consuming distraction for her until she (possibly) grows out of it, giving her something to throw herself into rather than being so frustrated by not understanding what's actually happening with her parents/family. Let her go to camp all summer!

Is Stan's son going to stay with him or move out with his mother? Is he college-bound regardless (I can't remember how old he's supposed to be)?

Can't wait for the finale!

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 3
(edited)

If Paige thinks her parents are having an affair or keeping some big secret I could see her having a higher than normal level of interest in what they are up to. Particularly since they already split up once and then Elizabeth disappeared for awhile.

I was actually more bugged by them allowing Paige to have a phone in her room, given that it seems an unnecessary risk of eavesdropping.

Granted, I was much less interested in talking on the phone than your stereotypical teen, but I never had a phone in my room nor did most of my friends, so I don't see it as being a particularly suspicious thing to refuse.

Larrick's super tracking ability did seem a bit dubious. I also kinda doubt the randoms he asked about the kid would be all that likely to remember him and what he did in such detail.

I hope Jared & Nina make it out alright. Martha is headed down a bad road. I really hope creepy pastor guy is just concerned and not actually creepy, cuz ick.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 2

Between that and trying to figure out Nina -- what she actually wants, what will happen to her, etc. -- this show has me kind of turned around and exhausted in the best possible way, lol. I have no idea if Nina actually truly cares for either Stan or Oleg (I kind of think both, a little), I do think she is a true-blue lover of Mother Russia (otherwise she was crazy to admit her betrayals to Arkady last year, I thought that was a move of conscience after Vlad was killed), but such a consummate survivor that probably none of it matters at all. Snaps of respect to her for having one guy on each side so willing to risk everything to her (unless Stan or Oleg or Arkady is running yet another angle here!). She's still in an impossibly tight bind, but she knows how to keep those options available!

I've liked Arkady since he was spray-painting cars in the Season 1 finale. He was a boss in the episode for sure. More of him (and him with Gaad, when possible) please!

My favorite part of the show this season has definitely been the scenes between Arkady, Oleg, and Nina. I'm going to whimper like Mrs. Beeman when they're inevitably split up by whatever happens (no spoilers here, only assumptions based on what has been building up). All three actors have knocked it out of the park in my opinion, and the lead up to what will happen in the finale was expertly done. I can't wait for next week. 

• Love 1

The only thing I can imagine is that Kate had something in her apartment that led to Jarred, though if she was that good at hiding info about Phillip and Elizabeth, would she also have hidden good info about Jarred?  Maybe PE are 'worth more' than Jarred?  Did Larrick follow Kate before he attacked her and saw her with Jarred? And then follow Jarred, which allowed him access to bug the backpack?  Who else would have bugged the backpack?  I have to assume Larrick bugged the backpack because otherwise how could he get the correct signal?

Did he then presume Jarred, as a kid, was likely 'innocent' but somehow connected, so he watched Jarred and that's when he saw E, whom he either recognized, or at least suspected was also part of the spy network, so that's why he followed them?

But then, why would he assume that E took J to a train station, as opposed to a bus station, or any other drop point?  Did Larrick figure out who Jarred was (and how did he do that, in such a short amount of time?), and thus presumed that he was being moved by the Russians?  There's just a lot of holes here.

• Love 2

I think that Larrick's intuition to go to the bus station was quite impressive.  Then he encounters almost deserted train stations who have extremely observant and cooperative employees.  He is a lucky guy. 

The place that the lady on the truck took Jared, that's the same place Elizabeth stayed after she was shot, right? Recall the first episode this season, she was shown leaving that cabin and a deer ran out in front of her car, almost hitting her.  Wasn't it a mother deer with her fawn?  A message?

You know that Jared is going to run off as soon as he gets into the cabin and discovers there is no TV, and nothing to watch but two copies of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.  ;-)

• Love 2

Something that just occurred to me. Is it possible that Emmett and Leeanne were using Jared to honey trap some of these guys? That could be why Fred had a closet full of gifts for Jared. What if Fred realized they were basically turning Jared out and killed them to protect him?

• Love 2

With an asset like Martha they're going to want to keep it going as long as possible. Years, hopefully. There's no reason to invite a huge problem in the future (you said yes and now are saying no) when when you can have a smaller one and less trouble going forward (we talked about this and you were perfectly aware I wasn't going to want kids.) With Paige and Henry, I think we have heard them mention friends. Henry mentioned quite a few other kids in "Comrades." Paige mentioned a friend having trouble with a boy in another episode. I think the friends just aren't a huge part of the plot, but Paige and Henry are perfectly normal socially.

Something that just occurred to me. Is it possible that Emmett and Leeanne were using Jared to honey trap some of these guys? That could be why Fred had a closet full of gifts for Jared. What if Fred realized they were basically turning Jared out and killed them to protect him?

I think you have to be a complete sociopath to do that to your kid. Not that some people don't, but we've really seen no indication Emmett and Leanne were like that and I would have to think Philip and Elizabeth would've picked up on it if they had. Jared and Amelia also seemed very happy and at ease with their parents at the fairgrounds. Seems like that wouldn't be the case if he was being prostituted out.

• Love 1

I don't think Jared killed his parents -- if he was acting in when he got back to the hotel room, he will be an UBER-SPY, the likes of which neither side has ever seen. If the KGB had done it, I would think they would at least remove the code book from the room; Phillip barely got it out of there. Even Larrick might have done that. That's my main confusion about who potentially killed them...it looks like a professional hit, as they got the drop on two super-professional spies/assassins, got head shots, etc., but who has the understanding of who they really are, the motive to kill them, the ability to do so with professional speed and brutality, BUT has little to no interest in ensuring their identities as KGB spies wouldn't be exposed?

The Mossad? I really, really have no clue, so I guess the Mossad is as good a guess as anyone. They've met and dealt with the Illegals, so they know they exist, I'm sure Philip wasn't the first encounter for that Mossad agent. The people who killed the Connors wanted them caught, a professional hit, bound to attract media attention, with espionage written all over them (Philip did remove the most damaging evidence but as Gaad showed, an experienced eye would recognize the details). Could it have something to do with Moscow infighting alluded to last season? That might also explain why one, Kate replaced Granny and two, Kate revealed herself to Jared, but kept Philizabeth in the dark. Hell, at this point, even the Afghans can make reasonable suspects.

I really hope creepy pastor guy is just concerned and not actually creepy, cuz ick.

That would make him the third perv to hit on poor Paige in just two seasons. Wow.

Crgirl412 wrote on May 14, 2014 at 11:08 pm:

This episode was odd and disjointed to me but I'm not sure why. 

I am in the extreme minority according to two forums!!  I need to watch it again!   

Elizabeth: If Paige and Henry were left on their own they'd be dead in an hour!

Philip: Paige is too smart of that. She'd have bad guys begging for mercy. And Henry - well, at least we'd still have Paige.

I'm thinking it's time for Phillip to use his Young Pioneer training and take Henry out on a few "survivalist" trips.

I agree with those who have said that Paige is more concerned that one or both of her parents are having an affair. They've been really hard on her lately (as opposed to Henry, Mr. Breaking-and-Entering) and she probably senses that something is not right.  And if the FBI lets it leak to the media that the murdered family were KGB spies, Paige will have all sorts of red flags showing up.

Having said that, I don't believe at all that the FBI would let that info leak. It would have to come from a Double-Special-Super-Duper-Top Secret file that somebody carelessly left on a shelf somewhere. If only Clark were a real dude with a real job that actually checked on stuff like this. Those FBI guys would get the talking-to they deserve.

Why is Larrick chasing Jared? He went after Kate because he traced her to the people who killed his soldiers at the camp. But how did he learn about Jared? And why does he give a hoot about a kid who knows nothing about his spy parents who had nothing to do with him? 

• Love 1

I am in the club that believes that Jared murdered his parents. I also believe that he didn't want to murder his sister so Larrick ended up having to do it for him.

• Love 1

I am in the club that believes that Jared murdered his parents. I also believe that he didn't want to murder his sister so Larrick ended up having to do it for him.

Wow!! I like your imagination.

Wild spec: I wonder whether Arkady and Nina are working together to get rid of Oleg. Arkady likely perceives Oleg to be a threat to his job due to his family connections. Perhaps he convinced/blackmailed Nina, the ultimate survivor, to join forces with him to demonstrate to Moscow that Oleg was planning to help a traitor and cannot be trusted? Yes, they want the ECHO technology from Stan but Arkady would surely like to get rid of Oleg at the same time.

Completely confused as to why Larrick would follow Jared and not Elizabeth once they split up. Also - why was he sitting on Jared (via the backpack and the visual surveillance)? Does he think that the kid will lead him to the people who killed his friends? Which "Friends" are we talking about - the military in the camp who Philip and Elizabeth shot - or Emmett and Leanne? Was Jared working with the people who killed Emmett and Leanne? If so, who were they? Grannie? Fred, who had a closet full of gifts for Jared?

• Love 1

I was thinking about how Stan said to Nina this episode, that he couldn't be traced as doing treason as there could very well be a mole at the agency. Then he mentioned how people leave classified reports on the robot mail cart all the time. Then Martha brings home some of those documents. When Phillip gave her that chilling look in response to her mentioning his toupee, I thought she was a goner. But maybe she won't die. Maybe she'll end up going to prison for the info that Stan took, maybe she'll be blamed for being the mole. That would get her out of Phillip's "hair" (hah!) and give Stan cover.  And when she starts talking about her husband Clark, they will likely think she's crazy too!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm with Beebie on this Jared matter.  Why is Larrick after him?  Is Jared really innocent or is he working with Larrick?  Is he playing the poor orphan child so the mother country will let down their guard and allow him in? This way he can leave a trail for Larrick to follow right to the safe house in the woods. I realize it sounds crazy, but I just don't get it otherwise.  How else would that tracker get into Jared's book bag?  How likely is it that he could do that without Jared knowing?   Unless, Larrick put it there and that's how Larrick followed the family to the hotel where they were killed.  So many questions.  I hope we get some answers soon. 

Does anyone still have this episode of where the family's bodies are lying dead in the motel room?  Can you see if that blue book bag appears in that room?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On ‎16‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 5:46 PM, Hanahope said:

But then, why would he assume that E took J to a train station, as opposed to a bus station, or any other drop point?  

I supposed it was only a educated guess on the basis of map. At least he made the right conclusion that changing clothes could precede changing from means of transport but of course even that wasn't sure.   

On ‎18‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 5:31 PM, LisaM said:

Completely confused as to why Larrick would follow Jared and not Elizabeth once they split up. 

Larrick had lost both of them when Jared changed his clothes and left a transmitter in his backpack. In the train station he asked after both (a teenage boy alone or with a woman) but learned only that a teenage boy had bought a ticket, so he no means to follow Elizabeth but had to follow Jarred, hoping that in the future Elizabeth would visit him.    

• Love 1
On ‎16‎.‎5‎.‎2014 at 4:22 AM, mattie0808 said:

What I found somewhat perplexing/frustrating, is that it doesn't seem as though Elizabeth asked Jared any actual pertinent questions while she was driving him around, unless I missed something. About meeting Kate. About how it is that he knows about his parents. About how much he actually knows about who his parents are and what they did. About how involved he was (or wasn't) in their work. Whether he knows or was told anything about his family's murders. I understand wanting to keep some things hanging for the finale, or next season (ack!), but I was surprised we didn't see Elizabeth at least try to get some info out of him, even if it didn't work (I would have no problem believing that Kate or whoever would have given him replies for anyone asking questions he shouldn't be answering, even other "safe" KGB). I didn't mind Jared's passivity (since we have no idea what his deal is) as much as I questioned Elizabeth's.

Spoiler

You are right: the revelation was made in the finale.

I think Elizabeth felt genuine empathy towards Jared: he was the child of her fried and collegue and she was afraid that the same fate could meet her own children. So she concentrated in the most important thing: knowing from her own experience how hard it was to leave all, she wanted to reassure him and prevent him from mental collapse. There seemed to be hurry to burden him with questions.