Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Self-Portrait

• Start Topic

The girls go to their fancy new salon for the first time. Desna and crew decide to compete in Florida's premiere nail design competition for a cash prize. Feeling left out, Virginia does something shocking to get some of life's finer things.

WTF with Jane Adams?? A pubic hair sculpture (from inmates no less - how do you even get that much pubic hair out if a prison?) and I'm assuming the ceiling art is the same medium. 

Jen is in denial with that house, but she's got a point with Desna. Next week looks interesting.

I like that Virginia is getting more interesting. Still an idiot though.

Silent Ann's new cop girlfriend ,  I smell a sting, I'm calling her as UC now.

• Love 7

I am also suspicious on Quiet Ann's new girlfriend. Also very cautious of Desna's new gynecologist suitor as he's a little too good to be true.

I still don't like Virginia cause I don't think she's ever tried to make up for how she screwed over Desna and was an entitled bitch towards her when we first met her. If she showed some remorse for that, I could maybe start forgiving her character and wanting more for her than death. What I don't want to see with Virginia is the show putting her in situations where she is victimized as a way to redeem her or to force sympathy. It is too close to that terrible soap trope of rape by redemption that hack/lazy writers do to 'bad girls' to make them totally sympathetic to the audience instead of writing redeeming behavior.

Dr. Ken seemed incredibly turned on by Polly smacking him. I think he has a crush now.

I have a feeling I will be in the minority about this but... I don't like this Roller story. I'm one of the few who is glad he isn't dead but I am not feeling this story at all. I know it's played for laughs but seeing him being held captive and forced to screw some crazy woman or be shocked via a collar - so basically rape -is not entertaining to me. I hope it ends soon cause this story has been the only dud for me in an otherwise mostly original show. This crazy swamp lady story comes off like bad filler to me instead of kooky but charming fun. The actors are doing their best to sell it but I'm disappointed with this arc big time. 

Desna is a mess overall and Jen putting it together that Desna set up the Coombs to be taken out... I am worried about their friendship. Not necessarily that it'll end but that the damage from lack of trust will cause serious harm. 

• Love 6

Desna slayed in the blue romper but then ... the "sophisticated" date look. Yikes.

Not surprised that they won Nail Palm, not only because it was the predictable outcome but because the season previews spoiled it.

LMAO at Polly slapping Dr. Ken around in that chair, she's becoming my favorite B character.

I want Roller to hurry up and escape from Crazy Lady, I want the shit to hit the fan already.

• Love 3

"Chinese" Virginia being part Vietnamese  in a world were the Koreans and not the Vietnamese have a lock on the local nail salon industry. I guess it is the deference in the perceived racist attitudes we assign to different ethnic groups resulted in the plot, or was it casting Linda Park and not crossing nationalities with her?.

• Love 1

I can only think of the lady holding Roller hostage playing Nile's 2nd wife Mel on Frasier, so I'm dying at this turn.  I would have preferred Roller stay dead, but clearly he's going to circle this crazy for a bit before he causes Desna more trouble.  I hate myself for noticing it, but Roller does have a nice body.  

Niecy was truly SLAYING in that blue romper.  She looked amazing!

I love hot Haitian gyno, but I agree with some of you:  I think this is a set-up or sting or something terrible.  B/c that is clearly Desna's luck.

Jenn and Desna's argument felt really grounded.  In a show like this, I really notice moments like this that feel real.

I don't think I really appreciated the actress playing Jenn's comic chops until today.  She was funny.

As a Floridian, I think I'm a little too comfortable with the level of FLA trash and insanity.  LOL.  I've seen various versions of all these people for years.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

how do you even get that much pubic hair out if a prison?

Put that question out of your mind.  Sometimes it is best to not entertain our curiosity because the answers are so disgusting that they scar our brains for life.  This is one of those times. :)

• Love 11

I'm not enjoying the multiple rape scenes with Roller.  I hope he gets away from that crazy bitch.

I'm surprised Virginia's friend set her up that way, I thought she had her back.  I was laughing at the roller skate shoes, though.  I've only seen 13 year-olds wear those things.

The Dr. at the clinic is super annoying, I hope Polly doesn't hook up with him.  Although she might, since her batteries ran out.

I'm glad the other salon didn't win the competition, they were such assholes for throwing tampons into the toilet. 

I'm also surprised Jenn went to the dark side.  There's no way Uncle Daddy will ever let Bryce go if he accepted the house.  I thought she was concerned Bryce would start using again?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I have a feeling I will be in the minority about this but... I don't like this Roller story. I'm one of the few who is glad he isn't dead but I am not feeling this story at all. I know it's played for laughs but seeing him being held captive and forced to screw some crazy woman or be shocked via a collar - so basically rape -is not entertaining to me. I hope it ends soon cause this story has been the only dud for me in an otherwise mostly original show. This crazy swamp lady story comes off like bad filler to me instead of kooky but charming fun. The actors are doing their best to sell it but I'm disappointed with this arc big time. 

I don't find this storyline funny at all and I'll be glad when it ends.  

• Love 7

I'm surprised Virginia's friend set her up that way, I thought she had her back.  I was laughing at the roller skate shoes, though.  I've only seen 13 year-olds wear those things.

I don't think she set her up, the guy that Virginia went to wasn't the same guy. The friend told her that the guy she was posing for had other clients, so I'm thinking her friend just assumed that Virginia would get a halfway decent client just like she did. But the guy ended up being a rapist and flipped the script. I don't think her friend knew that would happen.

Quiet Ann's new toy? So she's playing quiet Ann? Because that's what I thought after seeing her spying on Uncle Daddy at his club.  I also don't trust handsome, decent all around great looking guy that's stepping to Desna. Nope, too good to be true, and Desna's not going to get the good she deserves in the world until the end of this show, that's my thinking. She'll get a step forward then lose time and time again until the very end. 

By the way, Desna's intent was not to get those foster parents killed, though they deserved it, she was trying to get them jailed. She thought they'd end up in jail for drug dealing, not killed and definitely not by Bryce.

I don't blame Desna for having a hard time being happy for Jen and her house. Uncle Daddy would never give Desna a house like that and MOST importantly, continues to keep from paying her enough to save to buy a half way decent house. But Bryce and Jen get one because they are family. I mean that's what she wanted, she wanted to get paid fairly so she could at least by now have saved enough money to buy something better.  I don't know why Jen is acting like the circumstances aren't special in her favor for material things because she has the family connection. He did it for Roller, now he's done it for Bryce and his family, meanwhile Desna has put in the same amount of work if not more than Roller and Jen, and still has not much to show for it. She doesn't want him to give her a house but she wants to get paid so she can buy her own damn house and that will never happen and I don't blame her for not being able to jump for joy at Roller getting a house and now even though she is her best friend, Jen getting house. 

OK, Dr. Ken is now turned on by Polly slapping him, good lord. 

WTF? Misery lady is off the chain, pubic hair? ugh. And she's raping Roller right? I know that's what she was doing in the opening scene with him in that tub.

They put this show on the same time as GOT, so I have to DVR it, although it comes on again at 10. Because I must watch GOT live.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh come on yall, this is Roller we're talking about. I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel like he's being raped because he's LOVING it, sleazeboy that he is. I totally have my eye on Dean in the next episode. 

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 4

I'm not surprised that Dean is sweet on Virginia.  I've wondered about how Desna would handle the fact that he would have normal sexual urges.

Since Roller was able to call Uncle Daddy, he should be able to track that crazy bitch down.  

6 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

Oh come on yall, this is Roller we're talking about. I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel like he's being raped because he's LOVING it, sleazeboy that he is. I totally have my eye on Dean in the next episode. 

That's like saying a prostitute can't be raped.  Even Roller has some taste and sleazeball that he is, I imagine that there would be some women he wouldn't want to screw.  

• Love 8
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm not surprised that Dean is sweet on Virginia.  I've wondered about how Desna would handle the fact that he would have normal sexual urges.

Since Roller was able to call Uncle Daddy, he should be able to track that crazy bitch down.  

That's like saying a prostitute can't be raped.  Even Roller has some taste and sleazeball that he is, I imagine that there would be some women he wouldn't want to screw.  

I'm sorry, but if Roller has taste, I've yet to see it. As for Virginia, I'm thinking more that she's coming on to Dean and using him.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Exactly, all that matters is consent, no consent, then it's rape, period, doesn't matter how sleazy the background of the individual being raped. He can't give consent because she keeps a shock collar around his neck and keeps pressing the button to zapping his ass all over the place. The only good that can come of this is if he never tries to rape another woman again, because that's what he was doing to Virginia.

• Love 8
(edited)

Mileage obviously varies on the Roller/crazy lady story, but I'm just not going to be bothered by it, not from an overwhelmingly sleazy show like this. I've changed my mind about Roller not having taste, he does, BAD TASTE! So what is happening with him works for me.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

The only good that can come of this is if he never tries to rape another woman again, because that's what he was doing to Virginia.

Yes, maybe he will have at least learned that lesson.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Syndicate said:

That's really gross, IMO. Male rape is not a joke and his face when he had the shock collar go off pretty much said he didn't want to but would if it meant not having that collar go off.

1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

The only good that can come of this is if he never tries to rape another woman again, because that's what he was doing to Virginia.

That wasn't the impression I got. I think they were having sex and then it got ugly with the choking. There's a consent issue there with the choking that should be reviewed, for sure. but did Virginia say it was rape and I missed that? Did any other character say it was rape and I missed that? Then again  I  also think that well since he was raped now he knows what it feels like is a problematic sentiment. It's making light of rape and in general, almost saying he deserved to be raped so he'd "learn." He's a cheater and an asshole but deserving to be raped? Pass on that type of thinking. It's another reason why I hate this storyline as well as the show putting Virginia in situations to be victimized. 

• Love 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

That wasn't the impression I got. I think they were having sex and then it got ugly with the choking. 

Then again  I  also think that well since he was raped now he knows what it feels like is a problematic sentiment. It's making light of rape and in general, almost saying he deserved to be raped so he'd "learn." 

Let me make this very clear, I have absolutely  no empathy for rapists, none and I don't believe sexual predators can be reformed.  If they get raped in return then so be it. I just wanted to make it clear in my previous post, that, that is exactly what Misery lady was doing to Roller, no matter how much of a rapist he is, he was in fact, being raped now. This is the problem in our society especially with these younger generations they don't have a full understanding of what constitutes as rape and sexual harassment.  When Virginia and Roller started having sex, it was probably consensual, but when Desna showed up it turned into a non-consensual situation, rape. He was in her and choking her, and I'm not going to assume that at that point she just wanted the choking to stop, oh please stop choking me but let's continue to have sex, yeah, can't buy that. It was rape, he was raping her. 

She wanted him to stop that was a clear as day to me, get off of me, and he wasn't until Desna showed up and made some noise.  

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Syndicate said:

I'm sorry, but if Roller has taste, I've yet to see it. As for Virginia, I'm thinking more that she's coming on to Dean and using him.

I don't think Virginia is coming on to Dean. She knows he is special needs, she knows on some level he is attracted to her. She is being friendly and nice but knows there is a line even if he doesn't. I believe Dean is one of the few people Virginia wouldn't use. She sees that he is kind to her, and sees her as having value. That is gold to her.

I could be wrong but I hope not.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 4

As a Floridian, I think I'm a little too comfortable with the level of FLA trash and insanity.  LOL.  I've seen various versions of all these people for years.  

Yup.

I don't think Virginia coming on to Dean. She knows he is special needs, she knows on some level he is attracted to her. She is being friendly and nice but knows there is a line even if he doesn't. I believe Dean is one of the few people Virginia wouldn't use. She sees that he is kind to her, and sees her as having value. That is gold to her.

I agree, but I think this where she is going to run into problems. I think she is turning to him because she believes he is sweet and innocent and adores her. However, he is still a man that is attracted to her and he is very likely going to want intimacy eventually. And I don't think he understands that her being friendly towards him doesn't mean she's attracted to him .And Desna is going to be the one to deal with Dean's lashing out/heartbreak when he doesn't get what he wants. And if Virginia is stupid enough to get physically intimate with him knowing damn well she can't handle all that comes with Dean in the long run, I really hope Desna would kick her out of the circle once and for all.

I'm also surprised Jenn went to the dark side.  There's no way Uncle Daddy will ever let Bryce go if he accepted the house.  I thought she was concerned Bryce would start using again?

I'm not. Jen seems like a decent person, but she's wasn't about to let her principles stand in the way of providing a better life for her children. She wasn't all that impressed with the house and still wanted out, until Uncle Daddy went on about how good the schools are in that neighborhood. That's when it all changed for her. And I guess with Bryce not falling off the wagon after killing the Coombs, she figured he was in an okay place to handle Uncle Daddy's work.It's all going to come bite her in the ass eventually (and I bet she knows that deep down), but I can see how and why she accepted the home. The struggle is hard and real, and if someone offers you & your kids  a way out, you don't always think twice.

I love hot Haitian gyno, but I agree with some of you:  I think this is a set-up or sting or something terrible.  B/c that is clearly Desna's luck.

Like any TV love interest trope, he will either: 1) not be who he says he is 2)or be Mr. Perfect and man of Desna's dreams, only for Roller to come back and blow up Desna's life and ruin her chance with Prince Charming.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags to avoid revealing future information about episodes. But Dean looks surprisingly hot and out of character sl***ing someone in the next episode! I wonder who he's sl***ing?

(edited)
3 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

He was in her and choking her, and I'm not going to assume that at that point she just wanted the choking to stop, oh please stop choking me but let's continue to have sex, yeah, can't buy that.

Nah, it's not unusual for completely consensual rough sex to get a little out of hand and a line to get crossed and it just means stop doing that thing or be more gentle but continue having sex with me. I can only speak to my personal experience but sometimes my partner likes be lightly choked during sex and sometimes my hands get a just a little too tight (For comfort, not safety) and he asks me to stop but most definitely wants to continue having sex. And the choking is a thing that he wants, not something that I am particularly into.

Edited by John M
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I agree, but I think this where she is going to run into problems. I think she is turning to him because she believes he is sweet and innocent and adores her. However, he is still a man that is attracted to her and he is very likely going to want intimacy eventually. And I don't think he understands that her being friendly towards him doesn't mean she's attracted to him .And Desna is going to be the one to deal with Dean's lashing out/heartbreak when he doesn't get what he wants. And if Virginia is stupid enough to get physically intimate with him knowing damn well she can't handle all that comes with Dean in the long run, I really hope Desna would kick her out of the circle once and for all.

I agree.  I think Virginia is trying to be nice to him but doesn't realize that he's a grown man who wants--let's face it--sex, and he's attracted to her.  It would be nice if he and Virginia could be friends but, sadly, I don't think that this is where the relationship is headed and I fear things will get ugly.  

However, it does raise the issue that he's at the point where he wants intimacy and I wonder if Desna has even considered that.   Not sure what she could do about it but she has to realize that this would come up at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Desna's gyno doc is married with children.  Whatever it is, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  

• Love 4
(edited)

The Virginia/Dean thing is bound to get ugly! That's why it's happening. LOL. Desna was already quite skeptical of Virginia to begin with. Now the possibility of her giving her mentally challenged brother a "piece of ass"? NAUGHTY! 

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

Do we know that Dean is mentally challenged? He appears to have autism but it doesn't mean he has cognitive impairment or lessened desire for a romantic relationship.

• Love 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, John M said:

Do we know that Dean is mentally challenged? He appears to have autism but it doesn't mean he has cognitive impairment or lessened desire for a romantic relationship.

I wasn't suggesting that he didn't have the capacity or the desire to get laid. I'm sure his dick can get hard independently of his brain, but overprotective sister Desna will likely see him as an innocent, vulnerable, and presumably inexperienced victim to Virginia.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

While whats happening to Roller is wrong, if anything Roller is getting a taste of his own medicine. His "shock collar" on Desna and Virginia is subservience. He will dangle dreams and sweet talk them then choke them out in the next breath, and after that make sure they understand where they are in the pecking order. "You work for me." 

I don't believe his change in circumstances of being forced to have sex with the Swamp Princess Pube Artist will change him. He will never relate what she is doing to him to the way he treats women. He doesn't treat them with love and respect they are there to service his needs what ever they may be at the moment. The same as Miss Honeychurch is doing to him at the moment.

King must love this. This plotline has Misery written all over it. I wonder if she will hobble him in some fashion that he never forgets her.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Giselle said:

While whats happening to Roller is wrong, if anything Roller is getting a taste of his own medicine. His "shock collar" on Desna and Virginia is subservience. He will dangle dreams and sweet talk them then choke them out in the next breath, and after that make sure they understand where they are in the pecking order. "You work for me." 

Being held captive and electrocuted while being forced to have sex with someone who is insane is not on the same level as infidelity or cheap sweet talk. Not even close, in my book. Also, while I am not in to sexual/erotic asphyxiation, there's nothing inherently wrong with someone liking to have it done. Some people get off on it, much like spanking, bondage, and other erotic acts.  

I think it's a sweeping statement that Roller did what was quoted that is not totally substantiated by what was shown in the pilot as that was the only ep we saw him interact with Desna (which was a mix of conversations and sex) and Virginia (which was just sexual). There were also Dean's comments about Roller that belie a one-note character that just uses women.  Roller is an asshole but I think he has rape coming to teach him a lesson about women is a bad line to cross.  Would it be ok for any of the women to be raped and held captive as way to "teach" them not to lie, steal, or use people for their own gain? Despite knowing Roller isn't a popular character, I'm really taken aback by the belief anyone deserves to be raped for any reason, let alone to "teach" a lesson about compassion for others. 

Anywho, this may be the first ep I don't watch all of for my second viewing. I really despise the bad Misery take and hope it ends soon. I thought it was a good episode aside from that stuff. And the nail art in the competition is amazing.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, John M said:

Nah, it's not unusual for completely consensual rough sex to get a little out of hand and a line to get crossed and it just means stop doing that thing or be more gentle but continue having sex with me. I can only speak to my personal experience but sometimes my partner likes be lightly choked during sex and sometimes my hands get a just a little too tight (For comfort, not safety) and he asks me to stop but most definitely wants to continue having sex. And the choking is a thing that he wants, not something that I am particularly into.

Yes, it can definitely happen as such. This is what I was trying to say earlier. 

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Being held captive and electrocuted while being forced to have sex with someone who is insane is not on the same level as infidelity or cheap sweet talk. Not even close, in my book. Also, while I am not in to sexual/erotic asphyxiation, there's nothing inherently wrong with someone liking to have it done. Some people get off on it, much like spanking, bondage, and other erotic acts.  

I think it's a sweeping statement that Roller did what was quoted that is not totally substantiated by what was shown in the pilot as that was the only ep we saw him interact with Desna (which was a mix of conversations and sex) and Virginia (which was just sexual). There were also Dean's comments about Roller that belie a one-note character that just uses women.  Roller is an asshole but I think he has rape coming to teach him a lesson about women is a bad line to cross.  Would it be ok for any of the women to be raped and held captive as way to "teach" them not to lie, steal, or use people for their own gain? Despite knowing Roller isn't a popular character, I'm really taken aback by the belief anyone deserves to be raped for any reason, let alone to "teach" a lesson about compassion for others. 

Anywho, this may be the first ep I don't watch all of for my second viewing. I really despise the bad Misery take and hope it ends soon. I thought it was a good episode aside from that stuff. And the nail art in the competition is amazing.

I stand by my statement. I said it was wrong and in no way did I say the raping of Roller is right only that he was getting a taste of what he dishes out and he would probably not realize the correlation of someone exerting their power over him and being held as their prisoner and way he has exerted his power over Desna and Virginia.  He wasn't allowing Desna to stop money laundering for them nor giving her the money he promised her. He is keeping her, he and the Dixie Mafia owns her. The chain around Desna's neck may be invisible but it's there and Roller will jerk it to let her know who is boss and bring her back into line. Roller's shock collar is his hand on Virginia's neck. Virginia's gasping  and crying out "Roller, please stop" "Stop choking me." while Roller is screwing her is withdrawal of consent. She is saying no, or it's crossing her line and he needs to lighten up. We saw him only stop because Desna showed up and made her presence known. Apparently Roller is in to erotic asphyxiation, Virginia now not so much and it went too far. Far enough for her to shoot him.  YMMV.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2
(edited)

Seriously, are there those who see Roller as a rape victim? Given how he was portrayed in the very first episode, I just can't. LOL. If he were a religious person involved with the church or something, most definitely I'd see it as a violation. But I just don't feel sorry for him here and I feel like he kinda deserves it. Wow, just wait until Roller starts sleeping with MEN (you know it's coming because THIS SHOW AND Roller comes across as lying down with anyone and anything).

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

Seriously, are there those who see Roller as a rape victim? Given how he was portrayed in the very first episode, I just can't. LOL. If he were a religious person involved with the church or something, most definitely I'd see it as a violation. But I just don't feel sorry for him here and I feel like he kinda deserves it. Wow, just wait until Roller starts sleeping with MEN (you know it's coming because THIS SHOW AND Roller comes across as lying down with anyone and anything).

Roller is being raped. Repeatedly. He is her sex slave. Hence the shock collar with the padlock on it. Not screaming "No!" or "Stop!" doesn't mean it's not rape. Neither does feeling any kind of physical pleasure from the act.

Not all victims of rape are good people. Roller certainly isn't. None of these people are, except Dean and the kids.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

stand by my statement. I said it was wrong and in no way did I say the raping of Roller is right only that he was getting a taste of what he dishes out and he would probably not realize the correlation of someone exerting their power over him and being held as their prisoner and way he has exerted his power over Desna and Virginia. 

I understood you. You believe he deserves it as a lesson to grow from for his past behavior towards Desna and Virginia. I disagree. Obviously we won't agree. I will just remain appalled that rape is deemed ok to be subjected to if you're not a good person, even though IMO no one on this show over 21 save Dean is a good person, and focus on other things. 

Anywho, I am very curious about Desna's gynecologist man and if he' s going to turn out to be something else as he is a little too good to be true currently. If he is a good guy, here's hoping he stays away from Virginia and vice versa. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I understood you. You believe he deserves it as a lesson to grow from for his past behavior towards Desna and Virginia. I disagree. Obviously we won't agree. I will just remain appalled that rape is deemed ok to be subjected to if you're not a good person, even though IMO no one on this show over 21 save Dean is a good person, and focus on other things. 

Anywho, I am very curious about Desna's gynecologist man and if he' s going to turn out to be something else as he is a little too good to be true currently. If he is a good guy, here's hoping he stays away from Virginia and vice versa. 

I just felt the need to point out (to everyone, not to Chick2Chic personally) that a lot of people felt that way about the Coombses in regard to murder. As they say, YMMV, particularly on sensitive topics such as rape, murder, morality, etc.

Edited by link417
Because the murdered SOBs were the "Coombses," not the "Coonses."
  • Love 1

True, Link417. I didn't cry over the Coombs murder, though I felt sympathy for Jenn over Bryce doing it. I think that will crush them both when the truth comes out and I'm not sure how they'll handle knowing what Desna, Virginia, and Polly set in motion re: the Coombs. I am not a fan of street justice although I understood why Desna set them up to take care of two situations with one stroke with Uncle Daddy on the warpath and Bryce thinking it was Dr. Ken. I don't understand cheering on someone being raped and tortured as a lesson on how to treat others better or deserving it. I won't dwell but I appreciate your point on grey morality moments, Link417. I just continue to hope this storyline very ends soon.

Plus there's still the Russians to factor in before the season ends in a few eps. I feel like the Russians have been put on hold to the point of disappearing. Unless they'll be pushed to S2. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

True, Link417. I didn't cry over the Coombs murder, though I felt sympathy for Jenn over Bryce doing it. I think that will crush them both when the truth comes out and I'm not sure how they'll handle knowing what Desna, Virginia, and Polly set in motion re: the Coombs. I am not a fan of street justice although I understood why Desna set them up to take care of two situations with one stroke with Uncle Daddy on the warpath and Bryce thinking it was Dr. Ken. I don't understand cheering on someone being raped and tortured as a lesson on how to treat others better or deserving it. I won't dwell but I appreciate your point on grey morality moments, Link417. I just continue to hope this storyline very ends soon.

Plus there's still the Russians to factor in before the season ends in a few eps. I feel like the Russians have been put on hold to the point of disappearing. Unless they'll be pushed to S2. 

I don't think any one of us here is cheering on rape. Some may feel it's just hard to have sympathy for someone like that or Karma is biting him in the ass. I can understand someone having those feelings just like you understand Desna's willingness to set up her foster parents. There is no difference.

As for a lesson Roller has to learn. I never said that. I have said that I find his  character may be incapable of  connecting  the fucking dots, that he has behaved exactly the same way, in keeping people at his mercy and under his thumb. That is a statement about his intelligence not about rape being used an educational tool. 

No one has said what's happening to Roller is right.

3 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I never said any such thing. Nor do I believe he deserves to be raped.

Another poster said it was a lesson not me. 

Edited by Giselle
6 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I just continue to hope this storyline very ends soon.

Hear, hear! This storyline really feels like more of an afterthought, like after the decided to make Jack Kesy a regular they had to scrounge up some idea for how he survived and to try to fit that within the crazy Claws world, but they really missed the mark. Also a total waste of Jane Adams.

I hope they are able to dive into the Russians before the end of the season, maybe create some cliffhanger that leads into Season 2. I feel like that plot would be infinitely more interesting, particularly what the matriarch is all about. I still don't get what she was trying to do when she told Desna that if what happened to Roller had happened to one of her own that she would hunt down the perpetrator(s).

• Love 1

I'm disappointed in it too because it's pretty much the R-rated version of a controversial story arc from The Young and the Restless a couple of years ago. Some of the scenery is almost identical and there are scenes staged in the same ways. Stephen King's Misery aside, someone associated with this show likely is a fan of Y&R as well.

Roller does have a great body but I'm not a fan of watching someone get raped, especially repeatedly.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think any one of us here is cheering on rape. Some may feel it's just hard to have sympathy for someone like that or Karma is biting him in the ass.

This is exactly where I'm coming from.

I'm not sitting around wishing that he gets raped, but he is and so be it, because I stand by what I said, he was in fact raping Virginia. It didn't start out as rape, she had been having sex with him before of her own free will, we saw it, and Desna saw it and walked away. But the day of his "murder" that sex turned from consensual to rape. What is happening to Roller now is rape, repeated rape, I'm not condoning it as punishment, but I also don't give a shit that a rapist is getting raped.   I can't feel outraged on his behalf, sorry, not sorry. By the way, they need to tie up this Misery plot and fast, it's getting old.

But I digress, if I was ever raped you can be fuck sure that I'd wish my rapist jailed and to go through exactly what he put me through, exactly and I'd want him to lose his "toy weapon" at the end of it all.  I wouldn't feel one bit of guilt for not being able to be spiritual enough, forgiving enough, to rise above it by not wishing my rapist the same fate.  That's all I was saying in pointing out that maybe his experience might push him to put himself in the same shoes as Virginia and any other women he's forced himself on,because I doubt she was the first. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I imagine that part of being Dixie Mafia  heir apparent meant that every dancer at their strip club had to serve Roller 

If he took a fancy to them, or wanted a quick BJ and they needed their job you know it happened.

(edited)

I just felt the need to point out (to everyone, not to Chick2Chic personally) that a lot of people felt that way about the Coombses in regard to murder. As they say, YMMV, particularly on sensitive topics such as rape, murder, morality, etc.

Yes, those can be triggering topics, and I certainly would address this in real life or if this were a documentary. However, this is the purplest of pulp TV, and all kinds of shit goes down that's not realistic. Does TV inspire creepy or mentally ill people to take actions that they've seen depicted on film? It does. But underneath all the bam/shock/pow, there are some moral points of view. Who said "we are bad people" last episode? They are certainly morally ambiguous. And each step down the road leaves them further from their own moral compasses. Course correction based on, say, a large house in a good school district, if you will. I am betting that at some point, someone will confront Roller's victimization. It probably won't be him, but someone will see it and call it.

That's actually one of the reasons this show has rapidly become a favorite: watching good people become unmoored (or somehow stay true to themselves) is always compelling if it's well done. the other shows I follow/followed here are similar with shades of gray: The Good Wife, Person of Interest, The Mentalist (but not Blue Bloods! I hate watch Blue Bloods!) etc.

Edited by kwnyc
adding another show
4 hours ago, Keepitmoving said:

This is exactly where I'm coming from.

I'm not sitting around wishing that he gets raped, but he is and so be it, because I stand by what I said, he was in fact raping Virginia. It didn't start out as rape, she had been having sex with him before of her own free will, we saw it, and Desna saw it and walked away. But the day of his "murder" that sex turned from consensual to rape. What is happening to Roller now is rape, repeated rape, I'm not condoning it as punishment, but I also don't give a shit that a rapist is getting raped.   I can't feel outraged on his behalf, sorry, not sorry. By the way, they need to tie up this Misery plot and fast, it's getting old.

But I digress, if I was ever raped you can be fuck sure that I'd wish my rapist jailed and to go through exactly what he put me through, exactly and I'd want him to lose his "toy weapon" at the end of it all.  I wouldn't feel one bit of guilt for not being able to be spiritual enough, forgiving enough, to rise above it by not wishing my rapist the same fate.  That's all I was saying in pointing out that maybe his experience might push him to put himself in the same shoes as Virginia and any other women he's forced himself on,because I doubt she was the first. 

I agree with your entire post.

9 hours ago, link417 said:

Hear, hear! This storyline really feels like more of an afterthought, like after the decided to make Jack Kesy a regular they had to scrounge up some idea for how he survived and to try to fit that within the crazy Claws world, but they really missed the mark. Also a total waste of Jane Adams.

That's pretty much what I said to a few friends about it. Like they decided to keep him but didn't know what to do before integrating him back in to the main stories. So he got this... and he & Jane Adams have my sympathy. They're doing their best to sell what they were given. 

6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Roller does have a great body but I'm not a fan of watching someone get raped, especially repeatedly.

A friend of mine who watches it too thinks his great physique being exploited is one reason why this story was done. He had commented to me about all the butt shots in the pilot that someone behind the scenes was a big fan of that actor's body. 

• Love 2