Type keyword(s) to search

Cody Nickson: Just Doesn't Like You That Much

Former Air Force / Marine vet, current single dad.

Will tell you what he doesn't like, and he doesn't like much.

Took me a while, but I finally figured out who Cody reminded me of:

george_harrison_small.jpg

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/1/2017 at 2:58 AM, Nashville said:

Former Air Force / Marine vet, current single dad.

Will tell you what he doesn't like, and he doesn't like much.

Took me a while, but I finally figured out who Cody reminded me of:

george_harrison_small.jpg

You are so right!!! At first I thought, nah.  Then, I was on all access. The picture for episode 3 is Cody and Jess.  Cody in profile.  I was like, Holy crap! He does look like George! Now that's all I see.  

Edited by Cherry Cola

I'll admit that Cody is hot, but he has a terrible hairstyle. His personality is the pits as well. I imagine the producers must hate him, as he is charisma-free on the show. How did he get cast?

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I think Ramses looks more like Gilligan - in expression - than Cody does.

I get what you mean; every time I look at Ramses, however, I am reminded of Family Matters' Steve Urkel more than anybody else, in both appearance and behavior.  :)

170704145417-urkel-1-large-169.jpg

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
On 7/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, Congo said:

I'll admit that Cody is hot, but he has a terrible hairstyle. His personality is the pits as well. I imagine the producers must hate him, as he is charisma-free on the show. How did he get cast?

The bad haircut - exactly what ruins his looks. (Not counting his ugly personality.)

I can't figure out how to copy and paste photographs, but take Cody's picture from above and picture it in a frog costume with giant googly eyes.

That is a sight for sore (googly) eyes.

I can't put into words how much I dislike this guy, what a total asshole. I have come across my fair share of stereotypical macho military douchebags but Cody took the douchebaggery to the nth degree. If my memory serves correctly, he was once denouncing someone for saying "retard" and in the next breath he used the term "tranny." When someone said something about it, his reply was something to the effect of, "Do you really think America is going to care if a Marine vet says 'tranny'?"

And he was so worried about looking like a fool on TV that it made him look like an even bigger idiot. Thank you to the show for making his awkward, dull-as-driftwood personality shine in those THs.

Good riddance, Jackass.

• Love 3

I think I can pinpoint why I really fell in love with the guy; he's not like any other reality TV personality out there. He genuinely is just any other normal guy that you could know in real life. Not only that, but it doesn't seem like he came on the show for the fame; in fact, I am positive he didn't come for the fame. I was rewatching the Weather Veto, the week that the Hex was used, and while everyone else was mugging the cameras in the competition, Cody was just reciting the words and he genuinely wasn't caring about looking good. He seems like a very simple guy who probably just wanted the money, and he'll be totally fine with moving on completely after the show's over. 

His personality isn't out there and he's certainly said very ignorant things, but he's shown some willingness to grow and change, and he's not a total asshole. His two interviews with Julie shows that he's very respectful. I guess with his military background, he's gone through some shit. I think Jessica could whip him into shape with his ignorance and I'd hope that his transphobic comments are due to his ignorance and him not knowing any transgender people in his life. He never really spoke badly of others; he just didn't care about them and ignored them. Does it work for this show? Absolutely not; I assume he was supposed to be on Survivor and they gave him this instead. 

We've seen Paul make worse comments and done worse things in two seasons now. People suck; I've just seen that Cody is just different but he's not mean or spiteful. He's just more introverted and antisocial. It definitely didn't work on this show so he had to go, but I don't think he's a lost cause in terms of being able to grow and change. He seems to love his daughter enough to protect her from these people who might have used her as a tactic. 

I guess I just love that he never sucked up to Paul and he never sucked up to the cameras in general. He feels like just a regular guy you'd run into in real life. What you see is literally what you get, and I guess having a different type of personality being shown in reality TV is a nice change than what we always see. 

Plus, I know some people who say extremely ignorant things, but I also know there's more to them than that. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

We've seen Paul make worse comments and done worse things in two seasons now. People suck; I've just seen that Cody is just different but he's not mean or spiteful. He's just more introverted and antisocial. It definitely didn't work on this show so he had to go, but I don't think he's a lost cause in terms of being able to grow and change. He seems to love his daughter enough to protect her from these people who might have used her as a tactic. 

I agree.  Cody seems like he has a good heart, has empathy, is a mostly good person who has some bigoted ideas that, a decade or two ago, were not seen as awful.  Yeah, he's a macho guy  that's what the Marines look for, and that's what they reinforce.  He needs some education about things, but I don't  see him as a total asshole.  I have friends and relatives like him, they are capable of growth and caring. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, backformore said:

I agree.  Cody seems like he has a good heart, has empathy, is a mostly good person who has some bigoted ideas that, a decade or two ago, were not seen as awful.  Yeah, he's a macho guy  that's what the Marines look for, and that's what they reinforce.  He needs some education about things, but I don't  see him as a total asshole.  I have friends and relatives like him, they are capable of growth and caring. 

I love this whole post.  Not just about Cody, but all the people these days who are getting absolutely blasted with hatred for ( ironically) being intolerant about issues that were totally different while they were coming up. I think old people in particular should be given a little time to catch up.

Where Cody irritates me more than the "tranny," word was his assumption that no one in  America would fault him for anything because he's a Marine vet.  

• Love 4
On 8/31/2017 at 3:20 PM, JudyObscure said:

Where Cody irritates me more than the "tranny," word was his assumption that no one in  America would fault him for anything because he's a Marine vet.  

THIS so much! Like he gets a pass for being an asshole because he's a vet. Like anything bad he says or does is nullified by the fact that he served in the military. I'll bet he's the type to demand a military discount when he shops. (Sorry, touchy subject for me.)

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, QTBlueMoon said:

Yeah, Cody's a little brusque, but to be honest, he shouldn't have to demand a military discount, that should be an automatic.

You have to ask for it unless you are in uniform. Since he has been discharged, he would not be wearing a uniform. I have no problem with people who ask for discounts that are meant for them, that includes my parents who are over 55 years old and members of the military, past or present.

I suspect Cody has not lived in a very diverse environment and has not been exposed to too many people who are LGBT. I work with a lot of former military and all of them seem to be very hung up on the Transgender issue. OK, so many are hung up on the whole homosexuality issue. The language that a large percentage of my coworkers uses is offensive. I call them on it and they stop but their attitudes have not exactly changed. THey just know that I won't let them say that crap. Needless to say, I am not surprised at Cody's attitude. I am hoping that exposure to people outside of his norm will change his language and his attitude.  He seemed to be pretty open to discussing some hard topics with Jessica and was vulnerable on more than one occasion on the show.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, QTBlueMoon said:

Yeah, Cody's a little brusque, but to be honest, he shouldn't have to demand a military discount, that should be an automatic.

Not every retailer has a military discount -- I've seen people demand a military discount when there was no military discount available, and pitch a fit when they were told so. Not that I'm saying most, or even many, past/present members of the military act like that (my mom never did), but I've seen enough to make me suspect he's that kind of person.

• Love 1

I'm  a bit surprised that Cody is still asking for such a discount.  I absolutely think active or recently discharged military should receive a discount when available, but don't feel it should be a life-long advantage.

If I'm correct, Cody told someone (his 2nd time back in the house) that he went into the service right after high school and served a total of 4 years.  That means Cody is out of the service 10 years, and should have gotten himself settled enough not to be quibbling about a 5 or 10% price break.  IMOO,  of course. 

Just for the record, I have never been in the military, but my grandfather, father, two brothers, 11 uncles and 19 cousins have been, and none of them even knew there was such a discount.  My grandfather and father do take advantage of Senior Citizen discounts, however.

26 minutes ago, Sayla Vee said:

I'm  a bit surprised that Cody is still asking for such a discount.  I absolutely think active or recently discharged military should receive a discount when available, but don't feel it should be a life-long advantage.

If I'm correct, Cody told someone (his 2nd time back in the house) that he went into the service right after high school and served a total of 4 years.  That means Cody is out of the service 10 years, and should have gotten himself settled enough not to be quibbling about a 5 or 10% price break.  IMOO,  of course. 

Just for the record, I have never been in the military, but my grandfather, father, two brothers, 11 uncles and 19 cousins have been, and none of them even knew there was such a discount.  My grandfather and father do take advantage of Senior Citizen discounts, however.

Technically, we don't know if Cody's actually asked for any discounts. For all we know, he has, but it's not proven (to my knowledge). I think it was just a theory up above. It stems from his comment about people not coming after him for saying "tranny" because he's a Marine Vet. Definitely not right to say, by the way. Even if I personally don't hate the guy, he has said some very problematic things and I won't agree with everything he says. Not that I'll care about a week after the finale, as he'll most likely be forgotten until next summer. 

As for his service, I decided to glance into it. He served in the Marines from December 2008 to 2012 (this timeframe is correct because his brother's death in, I believe, 2011 had his obituary mention that he was sending a care package to Cody overseas; also, there's a picture of Cody in military gear holding his, at the time, infant daughter). He also served in the Air Force before that, which probably accounts for his statement that he enlisted after high school. 

Just further knowledge that might be helpful. So, he's been out of the military for less than five years. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Sayla Vee said:

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Technically, we don't know if Cody's actually asked for any discounts.

To the best of my recollection, Cody has never so much as mentioned military discounts. The only reason it's become a topic of discussion here was an editorial comment in a user post (quoted below).

On 9/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, link417 said:

THIS so much! Like he gets a pass for being an asshole because he's a vet. Like anything bad he says or does is nullified by the fact that he served in the military. I'll bet he's the type to demand a military discount when he shops. (Sorry, touchy subject for me.)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Sayla Vee said:

Why not? He volunteered to but himself on the front line and risk his life to defend his country and all the people who live in it. All that with crappy pay and poor benefits. I am fine if he, and other Vets, receive a 5-10% discount for the rest of their lives if a company offers it. Not all companies offer them but they are a nice nod of thanks to a small percentage of people who were willing to risk everything so that I can bitch about a TV show. There is not a Marine that I know of who does not have some permanent injury due to their training, not to mention injuries from deploying. Give them their 5-10% off of their Chick-fil-a or wherever it is that they offer the discount.

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

To the best of my recollection, Cody has never so much as mentioned military discounts. The only reason it's become a topic of discussion here was an editorial comment in a user post (quoted below).

Yup, Cody never mentioned it, a poster suggested it.

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think it was just a theory up above. It stems from his comment about people not coming after him for saying "tranny" because he's a Marine Vet. Definitely not right to say, by the way. Even if I personally don't hate the guy, he has said some very problematic things and I won't agree with everything he says.

What he said was not right and Jessica called him on it. I maintain that he comes from an environment were those type of comments are common place and are seen as acceptable. I am telling you, the jokes from the dudes in my office are bad and in no way safe. They shut up if I tell them to but I could careless about most of the jokes. They know that my lines are homophobic, transphobic, sexist humor. I suspect that Cody will change when he meets people who are different then he is. And if he doesn't, then that is sad.

• Love 7
On 9/5/2017 at 3:55 PM, link417 said:

I'll bet he's the type to demand a military discount when he shops. (Sorry, touchy subject for me.)

Is this something that he has talked about? That he demands the military discount? He doesn't seem the type that would.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

What he said was not right and Jessica called him on it. I maintain that he comes from an environment were those type of comments are common place and are seen as acceptable. I am telling you, the jokes from the dudes in my office are bad and in no way safe. They shut up if I tell them to but I could careless about most of the jokes. They know that my lines are homophobic, transphobic, sexist humor. I suspect that Cody will change when he meets people who are different then he is. And if he doesn't, then that is sad.

Probably going to get flamed for this, but I don't fault Cody extremely much for some of his objectionable comments because I think Cody's remarks originated not from transphobia, but from ignorance - and I'm not using "ignorance" as an insult, but in its simplest base form: a lack of knowledge or information.  

Cody comes from a rural background, went straight from that into the military, and after his second discharge ended up working in the construction field - none of which would normally be considered fertile ground for productive discussion centering on alternative lifestyles.  I doubt Cody has ever met a transsexual (or if he did, he didn't know it), much less given much serious consideration to what a transsexual's life would be like; his remarks were the kneejerk responses of his environments.

One good thing about ignorance, though - it can be corrected through education, whereas stupid is forever.  Which leads to the question: if one knows they are ignorant on a subject but actively rejects opportunities for education, does Ignorance then cross the state line to reside in Stupid?  :)

• Love 8
6 hours ago, CertainJewel said:

Is this something that he has talked about? That he demands the military discount? He doesn't seem the type that would.

LOL, no -- that was the vibe I got from him, so I stated my opinion.

4 hours ago, CertainJewel said:

I get why you don't like him but why state that he does something else that is objectionable that may not even be true? To disparage him all the more?

Please re-read what I wrote. I didn't state that he does something objectionable, which would be stating an alleged fact; I stated my opinion, as I am allowed to do.

I'll bet he's the type to demand a military discount when he shops.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2017 at 8:17 AM, Lamb18 said:

I can't figure out how to copy and paste photographs, but take Cody's picture from above and picture it in a frog costume with giant googly eyes.

That is a sight for sore (googly) eyes.

When your reply box is open you can see the Drag files here to attach or choose files, just below where you type.  I find it easier to save pics as a jpeg then choose files.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:20 PM, backformore said:

He needs some education about things, but I don't  see him as a total asshole.

I do.  If he was my parents age, late 70s then maybe I would just walk out, but even they had a reality check and more compassion for people different about themselves.  There is the whole, "Watch out for vets because they can be nuts and are dangerous", attitude too.  I don't go in for it but having many family members currently serving or are vets I know it all too well.  I wouldn't excuse that and I can't excuse bigotry.

On 8/31/2017 at 0:11 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Cody was just reciting the words and he genuinely wasn't caring about looking good. He seems like a very simple guy who probably just wanted the money, and he'll be totally fine with moving on completely after the show's over. 

Well looks like that's not going to happen as he is staying in LA and off on another game show.

His personality isn't out there and he's certainly said very ignorant things, but he's shown some willingness to grow and change, and he's not a total asshole. His two interviews with Julie shows that he's very respectful. I guess with his military background, he's gone through some shit. 

See my above reaction to the same ideals.

We've seen Paul make worse comments and done worse things in two seasons now. 

But we all know Paul IS AN ASSHOLE.

Plus, I know some people who say extremely ignorant things, but I also know there's more to them than that. 

Sigh.....

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

They named her Paisley. Like Jessica is going to do anything to her worse than that.

I grew up in the 60s-70s - so of course my immediate reaction is, "Why the hell did they name her after a shirt pattern?"

• Love 3

Maybe they are Prince fans.

I saw Cody's great-aunt a couple of weekends ago. Actually last week, too. I asked her about him but she didn't know who I meant. I guess she is not following the exploits of her sister's grandchildren. (Her own children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren probably keep her mind occupied!)

• Love 1