Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Housewarming

• Start Topic

I couldn't place the actor who plays Dick, but it finally came to me. He's Dan Gauthier, who Tara would probably remember as Chip Matthews on "Friends" and who I remember as Kevin Buchanan on "One Life to Live".

• Love 1

Dick is Dead has also starred in several things with Tiffani-Amber Thiessen: Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian StyleSon in Law (Pauley Shore's best movie really), and now 90210. But I can't remember if Dick and Val cross paths. Also, do you think the writers had him go by Dick (rather than Rick or Rich or Richard) for the alliteration of "Dick is dead"? I mean, probably not, but "Dick is dead" just rolls off the tongue so well.

5 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

Dick is Dead has also starred in several things with Tiffani-Amber Thiessen: Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian StyleSon in Law (Pauley Shore's best movie really), and now 90210.

OMG, that's right, he's the shady lawyer secretly trying to bankrupt Kelly Kapowski's grandfather's hotel in Hawaiian Style!

(edited)

I like the idea that, after Brandon asked Val if she'd ever seen a soap opera before (how meta, Show), she sat down to watch one, saw Erica Kane or somebody pulling a pregnancy scam, and started taking notes, heh.

Tracy and Mark are so insanely blah, I miss Susan and (kinda) Colin.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

OMG, that's right, he's the shady lawyer secretly trying to bankrupt Kelly Kapowski's grandfather's hotel in Hawaiian Style!

Kelly's grandfather owned a hotel?  I guess it was just Kelly's father who was poor.

Is it wrong to think that Donna's outfit is kind of cute? (At least she would have looked good the ladt tine anyone saw her if she'd died while trying to rescue Bambi). On the other hand, Kelly looks SO bad. I really hope Garth is pregnant, there's no other excuse to dress her in that dress.

2 hours ago, benteen said:

Kelly's grandfather owned a hotel?  I guess it was just Kelly's father who was poor.

He sure did.  There was a whole thing about his small, charming hotel under threat by a bigger hotel chain.  Dan Gauthier's character was a lawyer working for the grandfather (and who also romanced Kelly), but was actually sabotaging things behind the scenes.

Rena Sofer was also in the movie, IIRC, as Zach's love interest.  Screech was also made, like, the king of a local tribe or something. #themoreyouknow

• Love 2

Dick was also in one of the greatest movies of all time, Teen Witch! 

I mentioned this a few episodes ago and I don't know how to spoiler tag this so I will put in the rest of what I said at the time, but he does get a pretty hilarious arc.

The actor that played Dick was in the movie Son in Law. He was the bad boyfriend that drugged Pauly Shore and Tiffani's characters.
The whole Mark thing is crazy. The actor was supposed to be on the show the entire season but Jennie Garth didn't be like him and told Spelling that he was anti Semitic. That was the end and they had to write him out in a hurry. I don't know if it was more of Garth's dislike and refusal to roll around in bed with him but Kelly and Mark never sleep together either. Kelly kept saying how she wants to wait. When has Kelly waited?

I can't really blame Donna for doing what she did, because if I found myself in the same situation I'd do the same. Not that I would be stupid enough to not evacuate, but if I somehow got caught through no fault of my own. I'm a sucker for animals and just the idea of an animal suffering is too horrible for me, so if I actually saw them in the path of danger I would do anything to try and rescue them.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, benteen said:

It was a crappy hotel that started to turn around thanks to Zack and the gang ::eyeroll::

Kelly's father lost his job the episode where she finally picks between Zack and Slater and her family is poor thereafter.  They don't go into detail but I've always assumed his job had paid fairly well but they didn't have much saved due to the expenses of all the Kapowski children (I think there were at least five or six based on who we met and heard about). 

This episode is so frustrating.  If the deer had been injured then I could understand Donna's reckless act but the deer was perfectly healthy and lived in the area.  It would know where to go for safety better than Donna.  She put her life and the lives of the firemen at risk chasing after an animal that didn't need her help.  She's so stupid.

• Love 2

I think what annoys me about the Donna/deer situation is not so much that she goes after the baby deer (it's a dumb thing to do, but I do think it's understandable), but that she gets rewarded for it and has everyone, including fucking FIREFIGHTERS who should know better, heaping praise on her and literally (in the next episode) calling her a hero. For following a baby deer into a forest fire and requiring several firefighters to risk their lives to save her dumb ass. It's understandable to go after an animal in a situation like this, but firefighters then having to come rescue you is exactly why you're not supposed to do that.  

• Love 2

Dick is Dead has also starred in several things with Tiffani-Amber Thiessen: Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian StyleSon in Law (Pauley Shore's best movie really), and now 90210. But I can't remember if Dick and Val cross paths. Also, do you think the writers had him go by Dick (rather than Rick or Rich or Richard) for the alliteration of "Dick is dead"? I mean, probably not, but "Dick is dead" just rolls off the tongue so well.

I maintain that Son-in-Law is actually quite funny and enjoyable. I am not a crackpot.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I maintain that Son-in-Law is actually quite funny and enjoyable. I am not a crackpot.

I thought I was the only one who liked Son in Law!

78f23750ace80c7af726bc4917eb2c7a37e5bc10b891d25712828b060c3118c4.jpg

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 5

I thought it was odd that Val let Kenny's change of story go unremarked. When they meet he claims he is separated, and continues to do so, and yet NOW he and Diane are talking about how unhappy they are in the marriage? Get 'em, Val.

• Love 2

I couldn't place the actor who plays Dick, but it finally came to me. He's Dan Gauthier, who Tara would probably remember as Chip Matthews on "Friends" and who I remember as Kevin Buchanan on "One Life to Live".

Yes! I was trying to place him from "Friends" and kept thinking, "What have I watched him in where he is a total choad who is somehow still convinced that he is great?"

The Dan Gauthier conversation is another testament to how utterly boring this episode was, even though it was supposed to be tense with the threat of a fire.  

Oh, and here's another not-a-crackpot vote for enjoying Son-In-Law.

16 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

I think what annoys me about the Donna/deer situation is not so much that she goes after the baby deer (it's a dumb thing to do, but I do think it's understandable), but that she gets rewarded for it and has everyone, including fucking FIREFIGHTERS who should know better, heaping praise on her and literally (in the next episode) calling her a hero. For following a baby deer into a forest fire and requiring several firefighters to risk their lives to save her dumb ass. It's understandable to go after an animal in a situation like this, but firefighters then having to come rescue you is exactly why you're not supposed to do that.  

THIS.  Only on 90210 would Brandon's braying allow him to stay and help the firefighters who would have told him in no uncertain terms to get his ass out of the area.  Don't even get me started with Donna...

• Love 1
On 6/27/2017 at 6:36 PM, Cekrypton1 said:

I thought it was odd that Val let Kenny's change of story go unremarked. When they meet he claims he is separated, and continues to do so, and yet NOW he and Diane are talking about how unhappy they are in the marriage? Get 'em, Val.

Damn, this is how bad the show was for me at this point in the series (and how little I retained whenever I had the strength to rewatch it all), I didn't even NOTICE this discrepancy, but, good catch Cekrypton! I just can't get over how derpy Kenny is and totally unworthy of Val (Good Lord, that . What is the appeal? Surely, if she's the successful owner/manager of a hot LA nightclub, she can afford her own apartment/f*ckpad with a fully-stocked fridge, right?! The Visual AIds of him tasting her honey dust * shudder * - so, so, cringeworthy.

"GIVE ME THE HOSE" feels like the new "working Shadowcaster" somehow. Maybe instead it's a weird sexual kink?