Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Return: Part 8

(edited)

So...Bob vs. Laura Palmer super-villain/hero origin story?

LOL thinking back to simpler, child-like times when we were wondering if last week's credit sequence in the Double R diner had a time slip.  So innocent, so young were we.  

Stanley Kubrick: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Terence Malick:  Tree of Life

David Lynch:  Hold my coffee...

Edited by Penman61
Because "coffee" is way funnier than "beer," right?
  • Love 21

First, I am super grateful that episode didn't give me an ocular migraine. 

Evil Cooper is dead! But, no he's not! The soot people resurrected him -- I think! Who knows! 

The sequence in Club Silencio (I think that's where ????? was floating with his lady friend) was so fucking beautiful and disturbing. I've never seen anything like it.

All the fucking hats off to you, David Lynch. That was some audacious television even if I have absolutely don't have the intellectual capacity required to process it.

The two teenagers were just credited as "Boy" and "Girl", interestingly enough; I was wondering if one of them was supposed to be a younger version of a character we're already familiar with.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

So...Bob vs. Laura Palmer super-villain/hero origin story?

LOL thinking back to simpler, child-like times when we were wondering if last week's credit sequence in the Double R diner had a time slip.  So innocent, so young were we.  

Stanley Kubrick: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Terence Malick:  Tree of Life

David Lynch:  Hold my beer...

bomb either opened the gateway for evil or brought evil to the world.  the giant sent laura to save it.  that's some deep sh t.

the hype was warranted - whoa. 

imho, the greatest hour of television.

1 minute ago, SeanC said:

The two teenagers were just credited as "Boy" and "Girl", interestingly enough; I was wondering if one of them was supposed to be a younger version of a character we're already familiar with.

i was thinking the kid was leland but maybe the girl is sarah with the laura bug inside her.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

The last time I thought that to myself before tonight was after watching the very first episode of Twin Peaks when it first aired. 

2 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

i was thinking the kid was leland but maybe the girl is sarah with the laura bug inside her.

I thought that too at first but that would have made Laura about 22 when she died, unless they were saying that Sarah didn't get pregnant for several years. 

At first I thought that they were still in 1945 and this might have been Leland being conceived but then I remembered that wasn't the right age either. And then I realized it was 1956.

7 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

The sequence in Club Silencio (I think that's where ????? was floating with his lady friend) was so fucking beautiful and disturbing. I've never seen anything like it.

I didn't even think it might have been Club Silencio. That would be brilliant.

• Love 1

I feel like we all just experienced a mass hallucination.

The final 10 or 15 minutes was some of the most disturbing imagery I think I've  ever seen.

I don't have nightmares, but I'm gonna have nightmares. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

bomb either opened the gateway for evil or brought evil to the world.  the giant sent laura to save it.  that's some deep sh t.

the hype was warranted - whoa. 

Yeah, I was literally thinking that Lauren was the 'chosen one' to be sacrificed to 'bring balance to the force', so to speak, which was pushed out of whack when Bob was spat out.

So what are we to take from last week when Gordon was sitting in front of a picture of a nuclear bomb going off?

• Love 1
(edited)

(Also, if we're positing a Lynch Cinematic Universe, we now have a second explanation for Sheryl Lee in the bubble at the end of Wild at Heart.)

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 4

Even with the bug (which was...awful and I'm afraid will give me a nightmare, which I usually don't get from TV or film) and the Tim Allen-esque radio guy slowly being killed, the most disturbing part for me was the ethereal hobos smearing Bad Cooper's blood all over him with those fiendish and satisfied looks on their faces. I have no idea if they were feasting on him or bringing him back to life, but it truly got to me. 

I really found the theater parts, once I got past my internal joking about this being a spinoff of Addams Family gone wrong, to be beautiful and enthralling. I don't know who played the "mother" but she did a terrific job. I love silent movies, I feel they are a lost artform and even today they can say so much and teach us so much, and I think that those sequences are a great example of their power. And I felt a huge rush of emotion when I saw Laura's face in the bubble as it was another reminder that for all the damnation and torment she received in her life, for all her flaws and mistakes, and for all the men who used her and saw her as some sad trip to get over, she was a good and special person who only wanted to help. If the new Twin Peaks is about continuing the more complex heroic narrative set up for Laura in FWWM, then I'm very pleased.

I have to give Showtime a lot of credit for not saying anything about this episode, not throwing a fit. It's the exact type of episode that will probably drive many viewers away, but they still let Lynch do what he wanted to do and let the experience be...an experience.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

twinpeaks-3x03-0417.jpg

Can't believe I didn't catch this before but gotta laugh at the wink of Gordon talking on a red phone like Commissioner Gordon had on the 60s Batman series. 

Pretty smart of Lynch to serve up a whole heaping bowl of answers/plot movement last week so that tune in would uptick this week for such a swerve narratively speaking. 

• Love 5

The scene with the ghost soot people dancing around Evil Cooper? At some point during the blood smearing ritual, BOB appeared in the scrum. The scene was too dark for me tell whether it was just his head or his whole body. He was kinda crammed down by Cooper's stomach. 

And maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Evil Cooper shot in the same area of the body as Dale Cooper back in room 315 at the Great Northern? Even while he lie in the woods, it reminded me of Dale lying on the floor of his hotel room. And I think Dale spent a good amount of time in the Black Lodge bleeding from his gunshot wound, even though it had healed. Is it future or is it past?

I didn't get the hype.  I thought this was a complete waste of film and of 60 minutes.  I don't mind abstract stuff, but I don't see how it added to the story in any meaningful way, unless I missed something.  To me it seemed like a bad acid trip!   

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Fable said:

I didn't get the hype.  I thought this was a complete waste of film and of 60 minutes.  I don't mind abstract stuff, but I don't see how it added to the story in any meaningful way, unless I missed something.  To me it seemed like a bad acid trip!   

this was the origin story for the lodges in our world along with the birth of bob and laura.

long story short

- nuclear bomb was the reason the black lodge spirits were able to enter our world.  

- the white mother thing spit out bob

- the giant (or maybe god) sees this as he oversees everything (maybe just our world) and created laura to combat bob and the evil spirits

the bug could either be bob or laura that entered the little girl.

• Love 9

I watched the opening scene again (I can't take watching the whole thing again right now). But when Evil Cooper wakes up, I don't think it's Evil Cooper anymore. I think it might be Dale. There was just ... something off. I am very open, however, to being very wrong.

8 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I watched the opening scene again (I can't take watching the whole thing again right now). But when Evil Cooper wakes up, I don't think it's Evil Cooper anymore. I think it might be Dale. There was just ... something off. I am very open, however, to being very wrong.

When Leland died Bob when into cooper. I assumed when cooper died he would go into Ray. Did that happen?

52 minutes ago, djsunyc said:

this was the origin story for the lodges in our world along with the birth of bob and laura.

long story short

- nuclear bomb was the reason the black lodge spirits were able to enter our world.  

- the giant (or maybe god) sees this as he oversees everything (maybe just our world) and created laura to combat bob and the evil spirits

Also this: The white mother thing is the same creature that killed the couple in New York. The same actress is credited in both episodes as "Experiment Model" in part 1 and "Experiment" here. 

• Love 7

Still processing.

In typical Lynch fashion, it was both frustrating and mesmerizing, beautiful and grotesque/disturbing.

I found the sequence with the giant & the woman in the long sparkly dress extraordinarily beautiful if somewhat baffling. I understood that this episode was an origin story, but can't make much more sense of it than that. 

Things I'm curious about:

Are either of the two teenagers characters we will come to know in Twin Peaks? They seem about the right age to be Laura's parents.

What's happened to Evil DoppelCooper? Is he still evil? Or did Bob inhabit someone else? One thing that's confused me about the Lodge universe is why Evil DoppelCooper is fully sentient and functional while Good Cooper is stuck in an infantilized state.

I wonder if the smoke person wandering the halls of the morgue last episode is an associate of the phantom hobos in this episode.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

What's happened to Evil DoppelCooper? Is he still evil? Or did Bob inhabit someone else? One thing that's confused me about the Lodge universe is why Evil DoppelCooper is fully sentient and functional while Good Cooper is stuck in an infantilized state.

I wonder if the smoke person wandering the halls of the morgue last episode is an associate of the phantom hobos in this episode.

As the Charredly Angels were rubbing Evil Cooper back to life, we saw Bob appear in Coop's thorax, basically in egg form.

But, unless I missed something, and God knows I could have, Bob didn't leave EvilCoop.  So I think Bob is still inhabiting EvilCoop.

4 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

I would say that's most definitely true.  They seem to help bridge the two worlds, esp. the Black Lodge, which is why we see one associated with Major Briggs' body.  My guess, anyway.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

As the Charredly Angels were rubbing Evil Cooper back to life, we saw Bob appear in Coop's thorax, basically in egg form.

But, unless I missed something, and God knows I could have, Bob didn't leave EvilCoop.  So I think Bob is still inhabiting EvilCoop.

That's kind if what I thought Penman61, but I was having trouble viewing my screen because the lighting in that scene was so dark. So I missed glimpsing Bob.

I also missed fact that the charred hobos were bringing Evil DoppelCooper back to life - when I was initially watching, it looked like they were scavenging his body like carrion.

(edited)
1 hour ago, djsunyc said:

long story short

I hope the bug isn't Laura -- I got a definite evil vibe from it. Yuck! Good thoughts, though!! What an homage to the black and white radiation-monster horror movies of the '50s.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1

Pretty much everything i was about to say has been somewhat said - that my mind went to teens being Leland and/or Sarah - that after last week's largely straightforward narrative, most accessible episode so far, they immediately follow up with a Mythology/Origin Episode!  And it's done mostly via Showing and not Telling (appropriate that it's on Showtime!)

So i'll just be the first to say this... at least anyone who was tired of DougieCoop got a break this week!

Too bad this couldn't have aired July 4th weekend...

• Love 4

Last night, my friend and I were discussing the current season at dinner. We agreed that episodes 7 and 1/2 were the best, in that order. We were also talking about Lynch's short films, and I mentioned seeing a sculptural installation of "Six Figures Getting Sick" at PAFA (where Lynch went to art school) a couple summers ago and how the imagery and sound were simultaneously brilliant and intolerable. Finally, we also discussed what Lynch's inspirations are, and we weren't sure: Buñuel? Dali? De Chirico? There are echoes between Lynch and Guy Maddin and Craig Baldwin, but I can't say who is influencing whom, especially with the really hardcore difficult/surreal shit.

This episode was such a bizarrely apt extension of our conversation, although I was entranced by it for a lot of other reasons. I think it might surpass "Lonely Souls" and the X-Files episode "Home" as the most horrifying thing I've ever seen on TV. The whole thing was like Lynch x May Ray x Buñuel x Dali x Apichatpong x Lynch x Batshit x Nightmarish Trauma, and I love it.

Also, I agree with those upthread on the origin story take, although there was so much more going on--I'll need to watch it again and try to figure out the unfigureoutableness a bit more.

• Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

I also missed fact that the charred hobos were bringing Evil DoppelCooper back to life - when I was initially watching, it looked like they were scavenging his body like carrion.

I shouldn't say confidently the charred men revived EvilCoop, because a LOT happened in between their "ministrations" and his revival.  ETA they looked like they were rubbing Coop's blood all over his body and face.  Because...well, why not? 

But just thinking in terms of how these worlds interact, I would think the charred men would want to help Bob stay in this world.  You know, because Bob is EAGER FOR FUN <shudder> and he is doing the Dark Lodge's business in our world, causing suffering and creating garmonbozia.  

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Penman61 said:

I shouldn't say confidently the charred men revived EvilCoop, because a LOT happened in between their "ministrations" and his revival.  

But just thinking in terms of how these worlds interact, I would think the charred men would want to help Bob stay in this world.  You know, because Bob is EAGER FOR FUN. <shudder>

28 minutes ago, Cheezwiz said:

That's kind if what I thought Penman61, but I was having trouble viewing my screen because the lighting in that scene was so dark. So I missed glimpsing Bob.

The scenes were so disturbing to me I wasn't sure what was going on, but I took it at as their feasting on him and reviving him at the same time. One of the recaps mentioned that they seemed to "remove" Bob from him (the thing that he feared most while in prison), so I imagine that may be a big issue when he wakes back up.

This recap also brings up one of the early Red Room scenes and how much of the dialogue in it sort of corresponds to the glimpses of (I assume) the White Lodge in this episode.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/06/twin-peaks-episode-8-recap-easter-eggs-references-callbacks-woodsman-water-well-horse-white-eyes

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I hope the bug isn't Laura -- I got a definite evil vibe from it. Yuck! Good thoughts, though!! What an homage to the black and white radiation-monster horror movies of the '50s.

I don't think it is.  The cicada/frog was a mutant caused by the nuclear blast.  Laura's creation is a response to the forces let loose from that blast.

Also:  Is Bob's mother the thing that was in the glass box in Ep 1?  I think it was...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dwmckim said:

You Know You're a Twin Peaks Addict When:

The thing that baffled you most about Part 8 was Nine Inch Nails.

Because of course Nine Inch Nails would appear in a dive bar in a little town in  the middle of nowhere for an impromptu concert.

I also loved the nattily dressed gentleman on stage who introduced them as "THE Nine Inch Nails".

• Love 4