Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Here We Go Again

• Start Topic

(edited)

"Did I just see the lead singer of Dr. Tobias'100% Natural Good Time family Solution Band finishing up a massage in there with the guy from Bluth's Banana Stand? I gotta call TMZ!"

FunkeTents.jpg

Also, Kelly's jeans in the last picture look to be from the Shawshank Correctional Supply Closet. 

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • Love 1

I remember hating this episode when it aired and I still do. It always seemed unnecessarily and unrealistically melancholy. Why are Steve and Kelly all torn up over something that happened 7 years ago? 

And how did Claire not know about Steve and Kelly? Wasn't she there in the Unreal World episode when Steve said he would get back together with Kelly in a heartbeat?

I don't think that Val necessarily believed Kenny's lies, since she is a lot smarter than that. I think she wanted to believe them because she was lonely and was attracted to him (God only knows why) but she didn't want to straight up have an affair with a married guy. His lies gave her plausible deniability, both for herself and for others

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MerBearStare said:

And how did Claire not know about Steve and Kelly? Wasn't she there in the Unreal World episode when Steve said he would get back together with Kelly in a heartbeat

Yes she was!

This episode is so confusing.  I thought Steve was discussing their first time as being on the beach also.  

The way they play Donna and David is confusing too.  Are they broken up?  Are they hanging out?  Are they together?  It's so odd.

1 hour ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Also, Jelly's jeans in the last picture look to be from the Shawshank Correctional Supply Closet. 

Seriously. Those jeans do nothing good for Garth's figure and make her legs look about two feet long. 

2 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

I don't think that Val necessarily believed Kenny's lies, since she is a lot smarter than that. I think she wanted to believe them because she was lonely and was attracted to him (God only knows why) but she didn't want to straight up have an affair with a married guy. His lies gave her plausible deniability, both for herself and for others

I have to admit, I have mad love for Joe/Joey/Joseph Gian from his "Knots Landing" days, I loved him on that show! I actually think he's pretty attractive, not the cheating character Kenny, but Gian himself is attractive I think. Full-confession: I also think Jason Wiles who plays Colin is smoking hot; he's actually on my laminated list, more for his post-"90210" career, primarily "Third Watch", than as Colin. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought Donna and David broke up in the last episode so I couldn't figure out why they were hanging out together.  

Also, wasn't it just a season ago David was lamenting that Donna was was the one who got away and he was so stupid for cheating on her and she'd always be the love of his life?  Why, when he finally gets back together with her, does he immediately become such an ass?  Why, having gone through a breakup and having to see her with other guys when he was still in love with her, does he not just think to himself, "hey, I don't want to be in that sucky position again so maybe I should work on my attitude so I don't wind up pushing her away and have to watch her make out with Ray Pruitt 2.0." 

Gotta give the writers credit for one thing - they consistently portrayed David as immediately treating Donna like shit the minute he encounters any type of stress.  It's the only continuity in this entire episode!

(edited)
3 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

And how did Claire not know about Steve and Kelly? Wasn't she there in the Unreal World episode when Steve said he would get back together with Kelly in a heartbeat?

I thought the exact same when Claire kicked off about it.  And thank you, Tara, for noting Claire's hypocrisy re: The Gang's incestual dating habits.

Not only was this retcon egregious, but it was also extremely pointless.  Why even bring it up if it was all going to be resolved ten minutes later?

The thing that always annoys me about these amazing opportunities Brandon keeps getting offered - aren't there people who've been working their way up for years at the Condor, at the campus television station, etc. who would be in place to take these jobs versus Brandon?  In other news, I had completely forgot Mark existed until now. 

Is this the season where David starts exhibiting manic behavior a la his mom?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Halo said:

Seriously. Those jeans do nothing good for Garth's figure and make her legs look about two feet long. 

Agreed.  However, I think this is the season that Garth is pregnant with her first child so maybe she had to start sporting more comfortable clothes?  She is visibly pregnant by the end of the season, although they keep trying to hide it behind bags, purses, and furniture.

(edited)
2 hours ago, nkotb said:

I have to admit, I have mad love for Joe/Joey/Joseph Gian from his "Knots Landing" days, I loved him on that show! I actually think he's pretty attractive, not the cheating character Kenny, but Gian himself is attractive I think. Full-confession: I also think Jason Wiles who plays Colin is smoking hot; he's actually on my laminated list, more for his post-"90210" career, primarily "Third Watch", than as Colin. 

I googled Joe/Joey/Joseph Gian because I love cheesy old soap opera photos and I found this. WTF was even going on in this scene? "Honey, lie still so I can build a house of cards on you."

Knots_061.jpg

I have to say, I kind of agree with you on Jason Wiles. He wouldn't be on my laminated list, but I was surprised that I found him kind of hot when going through the season 6 visual aids. I definitely did not find him attractive when these episodes first aired.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 3

yes thank you Podcast for calling out how many times they seem to retcon Kelly being called a slut. God. It changes again when we meet Russ and/or Ross. Seriously were the writers just out of it? "We need a conflict. Hey didn't steve and Kelly date? dont we have a flashback of them dating and fighting?" "Well we have a clip of them fighting.. but-" "yeah use that clip!"

And word on Claire not having a leg to stand re the gang all dating each other.

This episode was stupid.

• Love 2

My dad had this weird thing about wearing high tops with shorts (I don't KNOW, it was a dad thing, ok?) so that last photo made me twitch. That would not fly in my house, Brandon!
I remember the guy that played Mark as the hunk character in the classic "My Father the Hero."

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Meanwhile, I thought Kelly's hair looked kinda good for a change in these visual aids.

I think Kelly looked really pretty this season , but next season the haircut ages her 10 years 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

And word on Claire not having a leg to stand re the gang all dating each other.

The writers really didn't think about the irony and hypocrisy of the words they had their writers speak.  Claire complaining about how incestuous the group is and as someone pointed out recently, Kelly having the nerve to say that trouble follows Val everywhere while ignoring the last year and a half of drama and trouble that's happened to her.

Bravo with the description of the David and Donna relationship: "He is abusive.  He hasn't pushed you down the stairs yet but he will.  As soon as he frees an arm from his giant shirt."

Good lord, I can't stand Donna but David was such a raging asshole in that clip.  David was a raging asshole in general.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

What I hate about this episode is that it makes it seem like Kelly and Steve had this one night of passion vs. were actually dating for a while.  The timeline was wonky but I assume Frosh year was Kelly pining after Ross Webber (ending in blanketless sex), then Soph year was dating Steve/sowing her wild oats, the Junior Year (when the twins arrived) was newly single and with a nose job.  Then, they redid their junior year where Kelly was still single/trying to snag Gay Kyle.  Senior year started with Summer of Deception and ended when Dylan "chose" her, right?

Ok, so let's buy the retcon that Steve and Kelly boinked just once.  Why would Clare be upset about the past?  If Clare/David can date and be friends, why can't Steve/Kelly have had a night of passion and then move on? And if Clare feels the group is incestuous, then maybe she should stop dating all the guys in the group?

About David and his "career", what's up with people thinking that everyone must chose a career/lifetime love in college? I wasn't this worked up about my first 3 post-college jobs that ended in layoffs.  David keeps thinking that this is his last chance for any career. What's his major anyhow?

Final rant: if Kenny's son is 6, then Kelly would have babysat when Kelly was just 15.  Why can't Val have anyone (other than rando FBI guy) who likes her first and isn't taking sloppy seconds over Kelly??  So far, everyone has wanted Kelly first (Brandon/David/Dylan/Collin/Kenny)

This show!!

• Love 2

I think she may be early pregnancy in this.  I think later she even goes through a pregnancy scare with Brandon (while she is actually preggo).  I didn't pay attention much but can attest that having kids will suck the life out of your face.  I used to have a crazy baby face (like folks thinking I was barely 18 when I was 30) and now, I only look about 8 years younger than I am.  Dang kids!

Mark is cute, IMO.  I do think he's a pig though and hated how he and Brandon "bro'd" down on the TV station and both said sexist things about Tracey.  I do like knowing the backstory that the poor actor was run out on a rail because Garth hated him.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, I don't get Claire being upset at all.  It's a past relationship, just like Claire and David was.  Not to mention Claire's obsession with Brandon.

Then again, this was the season where Claire was getting mad with Steve over everything.

Edited by benteen
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

Final rant: if Kenny's son is 6, then Kelly would have babysat when Kelly was just 15.  Why can't Val have anyone (other than rando FBI guy) who likes her first and isn't taking sloppy seconds over Kelly??  So far, everyone has wanted Kelly first (Brandon/David/Dylan/Collin/Kenny)

This show!!

In fairness, she does get Noah first, & he's quite a prize that I'd still be bragging about. She also gets Smith Jarrod, who doesn't even date anyone else in the group, the nerve of that guy! On a funny & related Smith Jarrod note, I've stated my Jason Wiles' love, & I have him as a favorite on our DVR. When something picks up with him in it, the picture isn't of Jason Wiles, it's of Smith Jarrod, who is actually named "Jason Lewis". I think my DVR is run by Val & she's confusing her castoffs.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I do like knowing the backstory that the poor actor was run out on a rail because Garth hated him.

Oh, interesting.  Does the character just, poof, disappear?  Like I've said, I remember nothing about Mark, though I do remember that Kelly and Brandon get back together halfway-ish through this season.

I don't think it's that her face aged that much , but the haircut they gave her was very unflattering .

the Kelly/steve story never made sense . In the last episode , Kelly said when she was 15, she thought she was gonna marry steve .. and I remnber her saying that in season 1 too .. but throughout the seasons , even the beginning when they supposedly " just broke up ".. even though we never saw it ..she never seemed like she gave 2 ?S about him in any sort of romantic way . I'm not saying you're gonna pine after a guy you loved when you were 15.. but usually your first love stays on your mind for longer than , I don't know , a month ? I mean she was obsessed with Dylan and Brandon forever , but steve she just brushed right over . And besides that , why would either him or Kelly still care so much about what he said about her when they were 15 ? And why would Clare care that they were together especially when she already knew it ?  Why is Val so confused whether she wants to be best friends with the gang or enemies ? Why is the sky blue ? 

• Love 2
On 6/8/2017 at 2:30 PM, TeeVee329 said:

The thing that always annoys me about these amazing opportunities Brandon keeps getting offered - aren't there people who've been working their way up for years at the Condor, at the campus television station, etc. who would be in place to take these jobs versus Brandon?

one thousand times yes to this.  But I guess it will prepare the underclassmen of CU for the real world, where shitheads like Brandon Walsh routinely fail upwards. And also good schadenfreude for Mark later when the same thing happens to him when he is passed over for The Fellowship or whatever it is that Brandon gets awarded and then does nothing with.

• Love 3

From Clare's belly chain to Steve's butt on the counter, can the health department please shut down this kitchen?

Somewhere in Hong Kong, Cindy is getting intense pains in her stomach but isn't sure why...

• Love 1

I swear it feels like every time Brian Austin Green has to act with Tori Spelling as a couple, there is some contempt. The couple hasn't been a good one since the end of Season 3. He's a massive jerk to her on so many levels. 

I like to call this season to season where you can tell that some actors (e.g. BAG, Kathleen) stopped caring at all. Can't blame them cause if I was on this show I would stop caring and just get the $$$ for a while.  The retcon sucksss. Steve should play it in reverse and be like you dated David and tried to get with Brandon. 

3 hours ago, SoupThrower said:

I like to call this season to season where you can tell that some actors (e.g. BAG, Kathleen) stopped caring at all

I totally agree with this.  I think I've read that almost all the actors stopped caring at some point.  Around this time is when Priestly is given producer credits I think.  Does Garth direct?  I know I've been at jobs that I hated, but for most of these actors, they hit the lottery being on this show.  They aren't great actors at all, mostly "eye candy" (if that... none could compete in the looks department of most teen soapy shows now).  Why couldn't they at least not totally phone it in? 

I can imagine the shooting schedule (31-32 episodes a season) took a toll on everyone.  But I agree, they made the decision to stick around for a paycheck.  Least they can do is show up once and a while.

yeah one of the producers did an interview and said that all of them were checked out and wanted to leave the show but they all knew they would be giving up too much money and not necessarily have any opportunities after the show. When asked about Luke Perry leaving and coming back, he said he left the show looking for other opportunities but after realizing he had barely any, he needed the money and came back.

They did have a lot of episodes a season, more than any show. So I can see it taking a toll on you. But i'm sure looking back they are all glad they stayed. Most of them haven't done much since it ended. Certainly not big work.

16 hours ago, benteen said:

I can imagine the shooting schedule (31-32 episodes a season) took a toll on everyone.  But I agree, they made the decision to stick around for a paycheck.  Least they can do is show up once and a while.

Can you blame them with the scripts they get?

I've seen Brian on Anger Management (Don't like the show) but he's funny. I've seen Jason on Call me Fitz and his new show. Luke Perry in Riverdale and yeah they can do better than they did in 90210 but the scripts and inexperience probably didn't help. 

On 6/8/2017 at 4:50 PM, JennB said:

I will never understand why this show thought Val would go for a guy like Kenny.

THIS ^ ... Because it makes no sense. I could see Val having an affair with a married guy but with Him? No way in hell. He would be HOT. No way Val would go for some fuddy duddy Dadbro accountant with thinning hair and a derp face. C'mon! Was the actor related to one of the producers? That's the only thing that made any sense.