Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E09: I Thought We Were Playing It Nice / S29.E10: Riding a Bike Is Like Riding a Bike

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

had to go back twice.  The first time, he had dropped traps pretty much as soon as he started, so he had to go back all the way anyways.  The second time, I thought he did find the trap he had dropped in the middle of the road (the one the London saw and commented on).  But I could be mis-remembering.  At that point they were going to be eliminated anyways as everyone else had passed them.

Yeah the second time he only dropped one set so he didn't have to go all the way back to the start. 

Joey appeared to be suffering from heat stroke in the first leg, shaking in the cab nearly collapsing on the mat no one declared that leg was to strenuous.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah the second time he only dropped one set so he didn't have to go all the way back to the start. 

Joey appeared to be suffering from heat stroke in the first leg, shaking in the cab nearly collapsing on the mat no one declared that leg was to strenuous.

As soon as they got to Vietnam, in the cab from the airport, Tara said Joey wasn't feeling well and neither was she.  I assumed that was the cause of his stumbling.

2 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

As soon as they got to Vietnam, in the cab from the airport, Tara said Joey wasn't feeling well and neither was she.  I assumed that was the cause of his stumbling.

I think it was a combination he looked like a classic example of heat stroke.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, fishcakes said:

I think Floyd didn't have his traps secured properly. Someone upthread mentioned that you have to loop the cords over the bike or they can come unhooked and fall off. If that's the case, then once some of his traps started falling off, the bike would be unevenly weighted and he'd have an even harder time staying upright.

They showed someone else (Matt?) taking the time to securely fasten the traps so yeah, that was Floyd's problem.

21 hours ago, Netfoot said:

But it wasn't impossible.  As witnessed by the fact that locals do it every day and all the other contestants did it without a hitch.  If anything, it reflects upon Floyd's failure to hydrate and pace himself.  

Floyd's problems stemmed from his mistake in not securing the traps, had he done that properly he would have finished on his first try and not had his heat stroke attack.  Because he was stressing about the task (and because it was hard as hell) he might not have worried about hydrating himself.  But I'm having a tough time blaming his collapse on leg design.

• Love 2

Tara/Joey seems to be the team the edit is trying to make us want win. The dirty things they do are the most hand waved away out of this F4.

I think at this point, Tara and Joey winning would be my last choice, even over awful Brooke. I just can't get past the idiotic ranting about Scott and Brooke not telling them there weren't any ladders left. That right there just shows what a couple of entitled sore losers they are. "They didn't sacrifice themselves so we could win! They're mean!" I mean, really. Also, Joey was really being an ass to Tara in the boating task. She takes it pretty well and he's usually more even tempered with her, but saying "I'm sorry" later doesn't mean you aren't an ass. I want to say she's ok but she was in full-on bitch mode at the mat saying "Oh, now you care?" Plus she was right there with Joey bitching about Scott and Brooke knowing there were no ladders and . . . horror of horrors, not telling them.

I still think London and Logan are probably the least objectionable team left. It's too bad they're just so boring.

• Love 6

I think Team LoLo comes in 4th. They are perfectly harmless team. Also, Logan is a Greek God but they're boring. Also, the edit hasn't shown them much so I assume they come in 4th. I wouldn't be terribly upset if Joey & Tara won. Granted they are being pretty hypocritical on certain things but overall they are a strong team & who have done well. Matt & Redmond are super strong dudes & Matt can climb anything. I didn't like Redmond the first few weeks but he doesn't bug me as much now. That leaves Brook & Scott. I loathe her and him less. I would be thrilled if they came in 4th but the edit tells me they make the Final 3 & possibly the win. Yuck!

On 5/19/2017 at 1:34 AM, kris4n6 said:

I don't think teammates are allowed to assist the one doing the roadblock. They can yell out encouragement, but that's it.

Yep, that's what Becca said in her Youtube recap with Floyd. And because she's had all this time to rehash it in her mind, she said she has wondered if--knowing what she knows now--if it would have been worth it to help him and take the penalty. 

In the recap, it also sounds like Floyd's heat exhaustion episode was much worse than we saw--he was hallucinating, and he had fallen off his bike multiple times and was all cut up from that.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2017 at 2:36 PM, iknow said:

London and Logan are somewhat boring and lack hustle, but they support each other through the tough parts. London kinda reminds me of Ellen DeGeneres with those twinkly blue eyes and kind smile.

THAT'S IT!! Thank you for this. I knew London's face reminded me of some celebrity, but couldn't put my finger on it. It was driving me nuts.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

THAT'S IT!! Thank you for this. I knew London's face reminded me of some celebrity, but couldn't put my finger on it. It was driving me nuts.

I think she is the spitting image of a young Patricia Wettig.  She could be circa-1987 Nancy Weston's sister.

• Love 8

There was a scene where Brooke is riding the bike, making sounds like a wounded water buffalo and a worker in a rice paddy looks up to see what the commotion is.

I couldn't help but contrast  scenes from Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, The Killing Fields, and other Vietnam war movies.   I couldn't remember any where characters in those films complained more frequently or loudly than Brooke on her bicycle tour through the Vietnam scenery.

(edited)
16 hours ago, Archery said:

When Margery of "Margery and Luke" passed out at the Pit Stop a couple of seasons ago, was that in Southeast Asia as well?  In any event, I would have thought that the producer following Team Fun would be alert for signs of heatstroke, given both the conditions and the challenges.

Margie- and I believe it was in India Thailand that she collapsed at the mat- she was the one pulling the rickshaw since Luke couldn't do it as he's deaf and the rickshaw puller needed to hear directions/sounds around them (or so I thought/remembered).

Edited by Ducky
Had the wrong country.
3 hours ago, AussiesRule said:

Remember Amy and Maya?

Yeah, I didn't think they had a shot at all. To this day, I'm amazed that they did the container task and they weren't allowed to write anything down. I would still be there and not even close. That task boggled my mind.

• Love 1

I can't speak to anyone else's opinion, but my feeling that the leg was poorly designed had less to do with the specific task that did Floyd in, and more to do with the leg overall. You take the insane heat and humidity, and have the teams do a string of physically demanding tasks:

1. Ride a bike up to the first task (Don't remember if they said how long or how much elevation was involved, but it didn't look particularly leisurely.)
  2. Do the roadblock task, also involving a somewhat strenuous bike ride (although at least those traps should theoretically provide some shade).
  3. Ride to the next task.
  4. Complete another task that seems like it should also be pretty physically demanding, on the water, with no shade.
  5. Climb some ridiculous number of stairs to find the pit stop.

Maybe some of those things were less demanding than they looked, but it seems to me that, even if you do the roadblock in one go (which did indeed seem to be perfectly doable if you did it correctly; not arguing that point), that's still a lot of opportunity for heat-related problems. The fact that only one person — the person who had to do one of those things several times — succumbed might be an indication that it wasn't actually that bad, but I don't know. I'm still side-eyeing it a little.

And regardless of the heat, I shudder to think how all those people's legs will be feeling in the morning...

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I just watched and will go through the thread, but not before saying SHUT.UP.BROOKE!!

No going through the thread is needed. SHUT.UP.BROOKE will suffice.

That leaves Brook & Scott. I loathe her and him less. I would be thrilled if they came in 4th but the edit tells me they make the Final 3 & possibly the win. 

I'd say a Brooke and Scott win is highly unlikely. I'm more inclined to explain their screen time on the fact that they bring the drama, and the producers love that. It's very rare for someone who's never had a first place finish win the whole thing - I can only think of maybe one or two teams that ever pulled that off.

(edited)

It's not that uncommon...  Amy and Maya, Joey and Kelsey, Beekman Boys, I think Kisha and Jen.  All won without ever finishing first.  And I think those are all within the past 5 years or so.  I could easily see Scott and Brooke winning.  For those that think that she is too unlikeable and too screechy and there's no way the editors would make their winner look so unlikeable, I give you Dana and Matt from last season.  Dana was awful, she was constantly berating him and complaining about everything.  She was more competent than Brooke but the personality was about the same.  (And then there's always.... Flo.  And Kendra.  And probably several other examples of unlikeable winners.)

I have said this before in earlier threads, but I'm still very curious about when the team intro clips were filmed.  The teams met each other on the first day.  Right after they paired up, Phil sent them running and they were off to Panama.  So unless they took a break and filmed clips, these clips weren't filmed that day.  I can't really tell where they were filmed but it has to be some place warm, it looks like it could be L.A.   Would production really stop the race somewhere in the middle and film these clips?  That leads me to suspect that the clips were filmed after the race is done.

Brooke and Scott look really really happy.  We have her leaping into his arms.  They have barely registered any kind of friendship or liking for each other at all.  And yet she is jumping into his arms and smiling?  Definitely not the Brooke we see on this race.   Seth and Olive look pissed.  Matt and Redmond look pissed.  Vanck and Ashton are smiling, she is beaming, but I think it's because she is going for a modelling contract.

So if the team intro clips are any indicator, it seems to me that Scott and Brooke might win.  If these clips were filmed after the fact, I just can't see her being so happy if they didn't win.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2

I have said this before in earlier threads, but I'm still very curious about when the team intro clips were filmed.  The teams met each other on the first day.  Right after they paired up, Phil sent them running and they were off to Panama.  So unless they took a break and filmed clips, these clips weren't filmed that day.  I can't really tell where they were filmed but it has to be some place warm, it looks like it could be L.A.   Would production really stop the race somewhere in the middle and film these clips?  That leads me to suspect that the clips were filmed after the race is done.

Brooke and Scott look really really happy.  We have her leaping into his arms.  They have barely registered any kind of friendship or liking for each other at all.  And yet she is jumping into his arms and smiling?  Definitely not the Brooke we see on this race. 

I mean, anything is possible but I don't think it's out of the question to guess that they took a break to film short clips after they'd chosen teams. The show makes us think that the racers just finish a task and then they're off. But of course they'll reshoot if Phil flubs a line or something that shouldn't be in the shot is in the shot. So taking maybe 10 minutes to pose doesn't seem crazy to me. Remember at the start of the race, Brooke and Scott were getting along. I think they called themselves Will and Grace. The complaining didn't really start until later. Not too much later but still, later. Of course, yes, maybe they did film things later but I don't think that suggests a Brooke/Scott win either. They're both a little hammy with his snark and her high school antics and dramatics. And maybe they did get along better once the show was over. 

(edited)

Screw Matt and Redmond. Screw Tara and Joey. I guess LoLo or nothing. I could have done without this season altogether. I didn't watch these episodes until Sunday, and I didn't miss them. I may just skip out of the rest.

It will serve them all right if Matt and Redmond win, though, considering the lame use of the U-Turn. Although, the whining and moaning if anyone had U-Turned Matt and Redmond would have been insufferable. I really do hate those assholes. 

Stop with the "alliances" and bring TAR back, please. 

Edited by azshadowwalker

I'm very impressed with Matt, and Redmont hasn't annoyed me for a long while.

I'm imagining a team of Matt and Becca - they would be unbeatable on ANY physical task, these two know no fear, and when they do, they befriend fear. They are so different from me that I can only be in awe of them.

Which is why I wouldn't mind Matt & Red winning, now that Floyd and Becca are out.

I'm very meh on Joey and Tara. Yes, they won some number of legs. Then again, they are stumped by the dumbest things (is this a clue? Matt and Red, what do yo think? oh, it's a clue, you think!? Well, help yourselves to one, just over there... Why is this display not correct with our two mannequins where the picture shows three? I don't understand what s wrong...). And they don't really seem to enjoy the race experience (except for Tara in Italy: yes, you speak Italian, I get it, I do too; you have fun speaking it, of course, it's a very beautiful language), they're just quietly efficient with tasks that don't require thinking out of the box.

And when I compare their approach to how much fun Becca and Floyd and Matt and Redmond were having, both with the task but also with competing with each other... That for me is a beautiful race. 

Brooke hurts my ears and my brain. With a little tweak, she coud - maybe - have been fun. She's not. Enough said.

And team Lolo is still an enigma, which is a shame because Logan is very easy on the eye and London is apparently (reading this forum, not sure if this thread or not) very entertaining. So less Brooke's screeching would have been nice, editors.  

• Love 2
On 5/23/2017 at 2:06 PM, blackwing said:

So if the team intro clips are any indicator, it seems to me that Scott and Brooke might win.

That would certainly be AMAZING :), yet strange things have happened before.

(edited)
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 3:35 AM, ichbin said:

Poor Team Fun.  This leg should have been the non-elimination leg instead of the one before it. I could swear they used to have non-elimination legs timed when the tasks were super strenuous. 

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM, BusyOctober said:

Were the Race production planners trying to kill someone on these legs?  Bungee jumping and then torturous bike riding, ladder climbing, manequin-carrying. foot rowing AND climbing 500 steps in 90% humidity and 100+ degree heat???  Thank goodness Phil came down the mountain to meet up with Floyd and Becca for their elimination.  The only way Floyd could have made it up there was in an ambulance.

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Miles said:

Am I the only one here who is actually mad at the race designers for getting Floyd to that point? What dumb rule was it that you had to take all of that stuff back when you lost something, in that heat?! They must have seen it coming that somebody could very well get a bad case of heat exhaustion from this. It's not like this hasn't happened before, but until now there wasn't anything anybody could have done, here they could have.

Agreed to all of this. In fact that should be a rule that, NEL or no NEL, the teams get to stop for some rest after completing any leg in Southeast Asia. This isn't the first time a racer has collapsed for heat exhaustion in that region.

With Becca and Floyd gone, there goes my interest in who wins this saeson. Go Team That Brooke's Not On, I guess.

I echo someone else's statement about hoping Team Fun returns for an All-stars season.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, blackwing said:

I could easily see Scott and Brooke winning.  For those that think that she is too unlikeable and too screechy and there's no way the editors would make their winner look so unlikeable, I give you Dana and Matt from last season.  Dana was awful, she was constantly berating him and complaining about everything.  She was more competent than Brooke but the personality was about the same.

In fairness, she had more of a reason for it.  Several times, she threw out perfectly reasonable, sensible ideas, and Matt would ignore some of them while shooting down the rest of them and continue on doing his own thing, making all of the decisions for both of them.  It was understandable to me why Dana would often lose it on him.

Brooke . . . she just whines all . . . the . . . time.  Sometimes for a decent reason, but more often than not, for a lame one.  So AFAIC, Dana >>>>>>>> Brooke.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

In fact that should be a rule that, NEL or no NEL, the teams get to stop for some rest after completing any leg in Southeast Asia.

And a mandatory stop for a cup of hot cocoa in any temperate country like America, Canada, or anywhere in Europe, too!

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, Eolivet said:

And millions upon millions of people drink McDonald's coffee every day without spilling it, and it still carries a warning label "Caution: Hot" because one person got third degree burns when they spilled it. While others may fault the person for spilling the coffee, McDonald's did make a coffee that's so hot, it caused third degree burns. Same thing with this leg design. It was irresponsibly designed and playing with contestants' health.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, Netfoot said:

Because to make coffee, you use boiling water.   Water boils at 100°C or 212°F and there is no practical way to make it boil at a lower temperature.  Even if you do climb Mt. Everest, the coffee or tea tastes wrong because it is brewed at the wrong temperature.  So, it is impossible to make a decent cup of coffee or tea at any temperature less than 100°C or 212°F, and every human being on the planet should know that a cup of coffee or tea could potentially come out of the pot at that temperature.  And that for this reason, they should avoid bathing their genitals in it.  

I know this is off-topic, but facts matter. http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/default.asp?pg=mcdonalds_case      http://segarlaw.com/blog/myths-and-facts-of-the-mcdonalds-hot-coffee-case/       http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

No, you don't make coffee with boiling water - it ruins the taste.  Coffee is generally served at 130-150 degrees, and it is NOT supposed be  hot enough that it burns your skin off.   McDonald's served coffee at a temperature that was undrinkable, at 20-30 degrees above the industry standard.  You could not drink it without burning your mouth, you had to let it cool first.  They  now, since that lawsuit,  serve coffee that is hot, but not so hot it will take your skin off.

Back to the race -   I think there is some responsibility.  When the racers are competing in a hot climate, and are doing a physically draining task, I think the crew needs to be aware of the signs of heatstroke, and to remind racers to stay hydrated.  That leg, with all the walking and biking,  was particularly grueling.  I think the leg was poorly designed. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8
On 5/25/2017 at 10:08 PM, Netfoot said:

And a mandatory stop for a cup of hot cocoa in any temperate country like America, Canada, or anywhere in Europe, too!

In countries with extreme climates, the racers should be given the chance to stop for a few hours after reaching the Pit Stop to catch their breath. Especially hot climates. Not just "Here's your next clue. Keep it moving!"

32 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

In countries with extreme climates, the racers should be given the chance to stop for a few hours after reaching the Pit Stop...

I believe the norm is, and always has been, to allow them to stop for twelve hours after they reach the pitstop.

• Love 1