Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Qatar

• Start Topic

How has Selina not yet learned to stick to her guns on these last minute "enlightenments"? The uneeded submarine, the Georgian election, now her human rights speach? Stick to your fucking guns, Mrs. President. 

I would watch an entire series of "The Furlongs Dinner Parties"

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not feeling Veep as much as I used to.  If she's going to be such an unrelentingly terrible person, I want her to at least be good at what she does.  I can't find anything to invest in, anymore. 

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 8

I *think* where this is going is she will do just well enough to succeed through events unrelated to her actions. Or will end up in jail. I love having the team together again. And we need more angry and indignant Jonah.

• Love 2

I loved that Ben's reaction to Jonah's new office was to lament that now that they're on the second floor, he can't commit suicide. Kent's offer to use his key for the roof to jump off was hilarious.

Jonah spewing about how Hamilton was the first Puerto Rican president cracked me up. OBVIOUSLY that's why Some People think we shouldn't have color blind casting. I also want to know what Sammy Hagar did to make it to the top of Jonah's shit list. Then again, if running out of curds at a party is enough to get him to place Wisconsin in a tie for first place on the list, I'm guessing Sammy Hagar did something horrible like not thanking Jonah in his liner notes.

Gary and Selina only had a few moments in this episode but damn. First when he pulled her off the couch, I was surprised that she didn't chastise him. His "OMIGAWD" when she asked Amy how to say "morning after pill" in Qatari was priceless.

Poor Catherine and Marjorie! Their happy announcement got completely lost in the chaos. At least Richard seemed happy for them!

• Love 6

I love when Marjorie says things like, "crystal clear, like your eyes" to Catherine and looks at her so lovingly. 

Enjoyed (paraphrasing):

Gary: Apparently, she is quite a bitch.

Selina: Well, the girl was slow with the tea.  

Why was Ben so dismissive with his wife at the dinner? I watch this pretty late at night, so I usually forget backstories. 

I predict this episode will get nominated for a writing Emmy for the dinner scene alone.

when she asked Amy how to say "morning after pill" in Qatari was priceless.

It was surprising to say the least. Surely Selina is well past having to worry about getting pregnant. I guess that was her way of letting them know she had slept with Jaffar without just straight up saying it?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Catherine and Marjorie! Their happy announcement got completely lost in the chaos. At least Richard seemed happy for them!

And he doesn't have to masturbate anymore!

1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Why was Ben so dismissive with his wife at the dinner? I watch this pretty late at night, so I usually forget backstories. 

I think it was just that her inserting a remark about the food had the chance to derail the conversation betw Jonah & Roger. Ben was enjoying their subtext-filled dueling so much.

1 hour ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

Richard: "This goat has an ear infection."

OMGosh! I loved this! Richard is the best. I was cracking up.

Selina is so horrible. Even though she's a terrible person, I still want her to succeed, maybe because everyone else in politics is horrible too.

I love how the Chinese leader won't speak English with Selina when he doesn't want anything to do with her. I also love the interpreter. When they're all speaking English, Selina said to the interpreter, "How are you doing?" and the interpreter says, "Pretty good." It doesn't sound funny, but in the moment it was. To me.

That Qatar guy was hot. Too bad about the white thing.

The war criminal guy from the fictional African country was so funny standing in the background of Selina's picture. What was it she said? "He's a bomber AND a photo-bomber!"

There were a lot of hilarious scenes and lines in this ep, like both times with the woman in Sudan. 

Selina's wimpy speech at the Human Rights meeting made me cringe so hard that I literally was covering my eyes.

I'm glad Dan got Jane. I really didn't expect that to happen. The goodbyes on the couch were a feel-good moment.

Sunburnt Mike was great, and his panic over roaming charges was hilarious.

• Love 2

Hey . . . Kent was wrong! Someone referenced "The Island of Misfit Toys" and Kent interjected to correct with "Isle." But . . . that's not right. It's Island of Misfit Toys, not Isle of Misfit Toys. I love all Kent's little corrections but he was wrong this time. Now I have to re-think all the other things he's "corrected."

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Even though she's a terrible person, I still want her to succeed, maybe because everyone else in politics is horrible too.

I really wanted her to succeed on this particular deal because it was one of those rare occasions where she actually did something and deserved the credit. She was the one who did all the work on the Tibet deal and Montez got the credit for it, so for me it was more than fair for her to tell Liu that she wanted that to be the final element of the deal they were brokering this week.

Mike freaking out over not wanting to pay for roaming charges was great. Plus you know his wife would kill him if he came home from a business trip and found out he had run up an obscene amount on his phone bill for the month. I can already hear her asking him what kind of person would do that he has a family at home to feed.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Hey . . . Kent was wrong! Someone referenced "The Island of Misfit Toys" and Kent interjected to correct with "Isle." But . . . that's not right. It's Island of Misfit Toys, not Isle of Misfit Toys.

AAAAHHHH! He's wrong?!? I had meant to look this up because it was such a funny correction he'd made.

Loved when Shawnee walked in and greeted Ben and Kent by calling them Bent. :D

• Love 3

Not a whole lot of laughs in this one for me. I thought the last few were really good, so this episode was a bit of a letdown.

I agree with @LADreamr - as much as Selina's misfortunes are amusing, I want her to succeed sometimes. I enjoy the show much more when it's a combination of outcomes, not just Selina sucking at everything in life.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I predict this episode will get nominated for a writing Emmy for the dinner scene alone.

It was surprising to say the least. Surely Selina is well past having to worry about getting pregnant. I guess that was her way of letting them know she had slept with Jaffar without just straight up saying it?

Well there's that.  But there's also the fact that Selina is often shown as being in denial about her age. 

And she did get pregnant in season one (although that was 5 years ago for us, I'm not sure how many years it's supposed to be in the show universe)

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I love how the Chinese leader won't speak English with Selina when he doesn't want anything to do with her. I also love the interpreter. When they're all speaking English, Selina said to the interpreter, "How are you doing?" and the interpreter says, "Pretty good." It doesn't sound funny, but in the moment it was. To me.

To me, too! Also, she hardly had any accent when she said it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Didn't like this one.

Steve Hely wrote it.  I actually am a fan of his novel. But this episode was trying so hard to offend me.  I didn't find it at all funny.

I like this show (in these past 2-3 seasons) when Richard has a big part in it.  He didn't, this time.  Not good.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

as much as Selina's misfortunes are amusing, I want her to succeed sometimes. I enjoy the show much more when it's a combination of outcomes, not just Selina sucking at everything in life.

I want to see some passion from her, beyond the ego stroke of being president.  If she doesn't genuinely care about anything beyond that, then who cares?  It might be funnier if we weren't dealing with someone like that in real life. 

Sorry for the off-topic, but I kind of wonder how House of Cards is going to top all the awful - fictional and not. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Remember how resistant she was to Amy suggesting menopause as the reason for her symptoms, and how happy she was to learn it was a heart attack?

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Kent was wrong! ... . Now I have to re-think all the other things he's "corrected."

He's right about daylight saving time, I tell you!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, marymon said:

Ha  loved one the Sudanese children was a wearing a Johan Ryan campaign tee shirt he must of have gotten from some charity donations.

You mean Jon H Ryan?

• Love 2

I was so tickled by the fact that the bomber/photobomber was played by Raj from "What's Happening!!"

Poor Catherine and Marjorie. But I did get a kick out of Selina claiming that Skype was acting up because Catherine's voice sounded very whiny...but Marjorie's sounded normal. 

• Love 2

I had expected Jonah to end up as the sperm donor, suppose he still could somehow. The casual and shameless anti-semiticm might be funnier if it weren't so true.

On 5/22/2017 at 5:31 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Catherine and Marjorie! Their happy announcement got completely lost in the chaos.

If Catherine didn't know that skyping with Selina would be a disaster, then she needs a ton more therapy because there's no way Selina was going to stare at a laptop for more than 30 seconds. 

On 5/22/2017 at 8:21 AM, Eyes High said:

Furlong not cursing around his wife was screamingly funny. And Shawnee proved more than a match for him, which is also fantastic.

She's been a great addition because if suddenly Jonah got competent, it wouldn't feel earned, so Shawnee can bring that. Getting a new office for an airport vote isn't a huge request either. I'm surprised Furlong dug his heels in as long as he did, risking a bigger request. 

23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

When they're all speaking English, Selina said to the interpreter, "How are you doing?" and the interpreter says, "Pretty good." It doesn't sound funny, but in the moment it was.

I wondered if that was an ad lib. It worked though because it was on the tail end of the "oh look who's found his rosetta stone CDs."

Selina talking to Amy about 'dating' a Muslim was a short great scene. Amy's facial expressions was better than her dialogue. She's a super good looking woman, and can contort her face so expressively. 

I guess Selina's 'role' is kind of some international goodwill representative, which, oy, but I think she needs a more defined role. She keeps hopping from thing to thing. I want her to succeed, and she's still going to be self centered, but there's an aimlessness that's taking away from the show. 

Poor Catherine and Marjorie. 

In addition to what ganesh posted above, if Catherine and Marjorie actually thought Selina was going to be excited about their pregnancy they're delusional. Nobody knows Selina better than Catherine. The fact that they were trying to get pregnant barely even registered with her. Did either honestly think Selina was going to get all warm and fuzzy over this news? 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

I was so tickled by the fact that the bomber/photobomber was played by Raj from "What's Happening!!"

OMGosh! Was that him? I'll have to look again.

• Love 1

Favorite dialogue ever:

Gary: Oh, my! Look at those curtains. Where can I get those?
Nyaring: I made them from my husband's death shroud.
Selina: What a touching tribute, Nyaring.
Nyaring: No, it was a purposeful desecration of the man who beat and raped me.
Selina: Well, they go with everything.

• Love 1