Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

9 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Sara Gilbert is unrecognizable to me. She doesn't even sound the same. Were there drugs involved?

I think she just aged really poorly. Rewatching the show, she can see that she's unconventional looking (at best), but she doesn't look dramatically different now, just older and saggier.

• Love 1

I've never seen Shameless (I don't have Showtime), so I don't know anything about her acting abilities, but based on the photo in that article she certainly looks like she could be their daughter.  Hopefully the fact she's been on there for eight years means she's good, and has successfully transitioned from child actor to young adult actor.  Does anyone here watch the show to give an opinion on her skills?

So the Conner-Healys will be moving back to Lanford from Chicago as we catch up with the Conner clan.  I'm glad Darlene's emotion-driven "I just want to live at home forever" lapse of judgment from the finale was overruled by her good sense when she snapped out of it, and that they've been living in Chicago.  I wonder what brings them back - job loss, perhaps, given Harris being the next one to dream of breaking the cycle.  This series did such a good job of showing just how hard it is to climb up from the rung on the socio-economic ladder one is born into, so hopefully this is just as nuanced and realistic. 

And Roseanne dealing with a mini-Roseanne was amusing, so Darlene trying to parent a mini-Darlene should also be good. 

• Love 5

I'm thinking the Revival is perhaps set maybe around 2010 to 2012. The article reference Harris as being a teenage daughter. She was born in 1997 and if we are sticking with current-day, that would make her 20 years old and most likely not being dragged back to Landford from Chicago. Taking about five years off the timeline puts her at 15, which makes more sense. And also makes watching Darlene parent a teenager much more enjoyable and entertaining.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I'm thinking the Revival is perhaps set maybe around 2010 to 2012. The article reference Harris as being a teenage daughter. She was born in 1997 and if we are sticking with current-day, that would make her 20 years old and most likely not being dragged back to Landford from Chicago. Taking about five years off the timeline puts her at 15, which makes more sense. And also makes watching Darlene parent a teenager much more enjoyable and entertaining.

That would make more sense..and perhaps Darlene and/or David have been laid off from their jobs and they're moving to the less expensive lanford to regroup and plan their next move.

I always figured Darlene was still reeling from almost losing Harris when she said she wanted to live at home forever.  Probably once Harris got a little older, she and David moved back to Chicago (I could so see them living in Wicker park).

I am weary of Whitney Cummings being involved behind the scenes.  I guess the mean spirited tone of the original show will be maintained.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Darlene saying she wanted to stay home forever and Harris almost dying were in Season 9 weren't they?

Yes. Harris was born very premature early and it was quite uncertain whether or not she'd survive. Darlene was very shaken by the experience and in the finale discussed with Roseanne staying home for a while until she was more settled with the baby. Of all the reasons for Darlene to want to stay and Lanford, that seemed pretty dang good one.

• Love 3

We know they're erasing Dan's death, and that Becky was actually with David and Darlene with Mark, but other than that we don't what else from season nine will also be ignored/explained away.  And we know Harris exists, but not yet anything else from season nine that will be included.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

So it was Season 9. I thought we had all agreed that Season 9 never happened? That we could discount all of that season and so we didn't have to apply events in Season 9 to the revival?

This isn't like Star Trek. There's no Roseanne "canon". If they choose to pick some things but ignore the rest of season 9 I don't think anyone will care.

• Love 2
On 09/23/2017 at 0:05 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

This isn't like Star Trek. There's no Roseanne "canon". If they choose to pick some things but ignore the rest of season 9 I don't think anyone will care.

If there is anything I've learned talking about TV on the internet it's that way too many people care about meaningless details and inconsistencies. And I'm sure there are some people that hate that terrible last season so much they don't want them to use anything from it. But yeah most of us just want it to be good and will roll with it if they pick and choose.

• Love 1

Interesting that they have a child of color at the table read. I hope its not just a "friend of" character.  Like I said earlier, I would love it if Chuck Jr and Becky hooked up after Mark's passing. Or perhaps its DJ's child.

I get that the set is iconic and they want it to be recognizable for nostalgia's sake but I do hope they've upgraded SOME furniture and appliances. It would just be unreal that the fridge or stove didn't conk out at some point over the last 30 years.

At least the chair near the fire place has been updated. It gives me hope that they they obscuring the rest of the living room set because they don't want to show the upgrades just yet.

• Love 4

I like the two Beckys sitting next to each other, and can't wait to see who Sarah Chalke plays.  It would be great if she's Becky's girlfriend.

Since the actor playing Darlene's son is sitting next to Sara, I wondered if the kid next to Michael is D.J.'s, then I thought D.J. seems too young to have a kid that old, then I thought, wait, not in this family, and then I realized just how old the Conner "kids" all are now.  D.J. is in his mid thirties!  Time flies.

I like the idea of the same cabinets in the kitchen (and the wallpaper, too, because I can buy that nobody ever wanted to bother stripping it), and think it would be nice to see mismatched appliances -- the old stove still works, but they had to get a new fridge, so they have brown and white.  And some new furniture in the living room, but that afghan has still got to be around somewhere.  A mix of new and old items displayed on the mantle and walls, etc.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I like the two Beckys sitting next to each other, and can't wait to see who Sarah Chalke plays.  It would be great if she's Becky's girlfriend.

Since the actor playing Darlene's son is sitting next to Sara, I wondered if the kid next to Michael is D.J.'s, then I thought D.J. seems too young to have a kid that old, then I thought, wait, not in this family, and then I realized just how old the Conner "kids" all are now.  D.J. is in his mid thirties!  Time flies.

I like the idea of the same cabinets in the kitchen (and the wallpaper, too, because I can buy that nobody ever wanted to bother stripping it), and think it would be nice to see mismatched appliances -- the old stove still works, but they had to get a new fridge, so they have brown and white.  And some new furniture in the living room, but that afghan has still got to be around somewhere.  A mix of new and old items displayed on the mantle and walls, etc.

Afghan is definitely around - Whitney Cummings posted a pic of it on her Twitter a while back. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Hard to believe that Harris Conner Healy would be 20-almost 21 if they kept her age the same (it sounds like they casting her as a teenager).If this were real life,  Dan and Rosie could possibly become great-grandparents in the next few years. Hows that for making you feel old LOL?

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Interesting that they have a child of color at the table read. I hope its not just a "friend of" character.  Like I said earlier, I would love it if Chuck Jr and Becky hooked up after Mark's passing. Or perhaps its DJ's child.

I get that the set is iconic and they want it to be recognizable for nostalgia's sake but I do hope they've upgraded SOME furniture and appliances. It would just be unreal that the fridge or stove didn't conk out at some point over the last 30 years.

At least the chair near the fire place has been updated. It gives me hope that they they obscuring the rest of the living room set because they don't want to show the upgrades just yet.

Maybe Chuck Jr and DJ hooked up?

I have no issues with interracial relationships but part of me hopes she isn't the child of one of the original cast.

I've said all along I don't want this show to be overtly political or have some Hollywood social justice message.

I can see an episode around the child confronting racism in Lanford or DJ and his black wife having to describe their struggle through life or something.

I just want to watch these 13 episodes and laugh.

It's great to deal with real world issues but it has to be done in a funny way. Take the gay issue. Roseanne was truly groundbreaking in this regard but it was funny as hell.

Sure Nancy and Leon were gay but there were so many killer jokes at their expense. People watching became more comfortable because they could laugh about it. It was no longer a taboo subject or something to be derrided.

In the current climate around race in America I think everything has to be dealt with 100% sincerety. There can't be any jokes made about it.

• Love 2

I would love it if Chuck Jr and Becky hooked up after Mark's passing. 

That would be lovely. The kid who played Chuck Jr. was gorgeous.

It is insane how happy that makes me.

I hope they put it back in the Smithsonian when they're done with it. If it hasn't been there it should be, right next to Archie Bunker's chair and Fonzie's leather jacket.

• Love 4

I took a closer look at this picture and you can see in the rows of people near the fireplace that Johnny Galecki is there wearing glasses and the hairstyle of Leonard from Big Bang Theory. I wonder if the two soundstages are close by to each other. If they are, it might make it easier for him to appear even though Big Bang is currently in production.

I am not sure that is Johnny Galecki. But if it isn't, it sure looks like him. But why would he be not sitting at the table with the other actors? Even the kids are sitting at the table. If nothing else, I hope he at least appears in a few scenes just for continuity.

I am so anxious for this next year. Do we have any idea what month to expect it?

• Love 1

Only the episode's actors, director, writer, and exec producers sit at the table; network execs, other producers, etc. watching the table read sit in those chairs you see.  If Galecki was there not as an actor appearing in the episode, but as a "friend of the show" invited to drop by and observe the first episode's table read, that's where he'd be sitting.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2017 at 8:08 PM, Bastet said:

I noticed in the photo that the little girl's character's name is Mary.  Maybe after Nana Mary?

• Love 5

From Whitney Cummings Instagram:

A video introducing the actors. You can see the stove and fridge have been updated.

And then a photo of her in the living room:

I am irrationally annoyed by the couch.  I cannot believe that two larger people like Dan and Roseanne plus all the kids and grandchildren wouldn't have worn it out already.

Edited by AgentRXS

It's just a look alike couch too I think.

Wouldn't it be funny if they just all pretended they were still like in Season 4 or something? Roseanne still works at Rodbell's and Dan has a bike shop. 

The kids are clearly middle aged yet still live at home lol. Darlene and Becky still fight like teens. DJ is mostly seen and not heard.

The Bowmans still live next door and Jackie is a trucker.

Might work for one ep but not a 13 ep series lol.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 4

It's similar to the original, obviously, in that they're both plaid with the same general colors, but that's a different fabric on the couch.  The original didn't have that green in it, there were light red horizontal stripes making a faint crisscross pattern, and the buttons may have been different, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I’m guessing it’s just a similar pattern so that they didn’t have to change out the carpet and repaint. The kitchen table looks updated. 

I’m glad the show is back, but I’m disappointed that it will be in the spring. I’ve always enjoyed their Halloween and Thanksgiving episodes. 

• Love 1

I just found out that there will be a Roseanne revival, and I am totally thrilled.

I would love to have Beverly, David, Leon, Fred and Crystal back. But to know that all of the original six will be back is incredible news already.

Could do without Nancy, Leon's hubby and false Becky.

As for the unknown kid at the table read, if it was DJ's child it could be interesting, as child DJ did not want to kiss a black girl in a school play if I do remember that correctly? So DJ could be the father, maybe that girl from school became his wife, what do you know.

I have a feeling that the first new show will do a Will & Grace (just saw the first new episode yesterday, too. That is how I found out about the return of Roseanne), sort of joke right at the beginning to leave the entire topic of season 9 behind, and I hope they will put the joke on Roseanne.

I am wondering if, contrary to what Roseanne said about a possible revival some years ago, Mark will possibly get a "funny" in character death to honour him doing such a wonderful job back in the original show.

Thanks for sharing the video fron the cast, so great to see them back in action.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, IDFfm0870 said:

I just found out that there will be a Roseanne revival, and I am totally thrilled.

I would love to have Beverly, David, Leon, Fred and Crystal back. But to know that all of the original six will be back is incredible news already.

Could do without Nancy, Leon's hubby and false Becky.

As for the unknown kid at the table read, if it was DJ's child it could be interesting, as child DJ did not want to kiss a black girl in a school play if I do remember that correctly? So DJ could be the father, maybe that girl from school became his wife, what do you know.

I have a feeling that the first new show will do a Will & Grace (just saw the first new episode yesterday, too. That is how I found out about the return of Roseanne), sort of joke right at the beginning to leave the entire topic of season 9 behind, and I hope they will put the joke on Roseanne.

I am wondering if, contrary to what Roseanne said about a possible revival some years ago, Mark will possibly get a "funny" in character death to honour him doing such a wonderful job back in the original show.

Thanks for sharing the video fron the cast, so great to see them back in action.

I heard bits of pieces of the Will and Grace revival as it was on in the background at home.

I noticed the audience reaction was REALLY raucous and they seemed to hysterically laugh at very line, even if it wasn't a joke.

The actual jokes weren't even funny and sounded really hacknied. 

I'm sure the studio audience was all people very close to the show and must have had all the goodwill in the world. They were probably so exicted to see the characters back that they were genuinely excited. 

Me watching it in the real world did not have the same reaction lol.

I hope Roseanne isn't the same.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

It's just a look alike couch too I think.

On Fuller House, the original couch gets destroyed and they basically just reupholster it to look exactly the same. Stephanie then gets a blazer made out of the original fabric cover and gives it to Danny.

Lecy looks really good. I hope she's past whatever substances she was clearly using in this interview from her 30's.

Emma Kenney posted a photo of herself on set. She definitely looks the part:

I would love it if Harris was a conservative Republican cheerleader type dating an avid sports hunter. That would drive Vegan Darlene absolutely insane.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7

Yeah, when that casting was announced, I said that while I didn't know anything about her acting ability - I don't watch the show she's on, but the fact she's transitioned on it from child to young adult actor hopefully bodes well - she certainly looks like Darlene and David's kid!  Almost eerie casting on that front, and I hope that's not the only way in which she's right for the role.

As for Lecy, that's just how she talked then, sounding like every other overly-earnest and -deep person of that age, especially when speaking to a wider audience than normal.  She didn't sound like that in her roles of that time, so I never thought substance abuse, just your stereotypical mostly interesting/partly annoying artist of a certain age.

Edited by Bastet
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, when that casting was announced, I said that while I didn't know anything about her acting ability - I don't watch the show she's on, but the fact she's transitioned on it from child to young adult actor hopefully bodes well - but she certainly looks like Darlene and David's kid!  Almost eerie casting on that front, and I hope that's not the only way in which she's right for the role.

Emma's a great young actress. In fact, the character she plays on Shameless, is a perfect mix of original Becky and pre-college Darlene imo. I think she'll fit right in with the original cast.

• Love 2