Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: The Big Day

So wait...this was a six month time skip? So I guess Carol really was pregnant after all. This episode was Goddamnit Tandy via Goddamnit Carol. They really are perfect for each other.

Jasper finally speaks! I kept waiting for him to tell everyone his name wasn't Jasper. Then again, Tandy isn't his real name either, but everyone still calls him that.

I'll admit, Tandy without eyebrows looked weirder than him with the fake ones. Kind of looked like David Letterman without the glasses.

Next week: A one hour season finale?!

• Love 3
(edited)

That was mostly stupid and meaningless -- and that's saying something even for this show.    The only thing that happened of any significance was Erica's water breaking.  The only real difference I noticed during the time jump other than the baby bumps were all the vegetables growing indoors.

Todd's re-virginalization including the physical and the legal way -- what the hell does that even mean ?  Better yet, why ?

The 20+ chairs at the wedding when there were only 2 people sitting -- man, these guys have way too much time on their hands.

6 month time jump in show time -- and still no sign of Pamela Brinton.  Is she dead in a ditch somewhere ?  
And no repercussion from the satellite impact last episode -- nothing at all.  So what was the point ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Matt1 said:

Is that the first time we learned Todd's last name?

I believe so, yes -- apparently he shares his surname with the actor who plays him. :D

Some good stuff here... Gail and Erica's cold-open callback to the intimate relationship they had shared before meeting the other survivors in Tucson (hinted at in 1x9, "The Do-Over"), the callback to "She Drives Me Crazy" as Todd & Melissa's sex soundtrack, T&M pop-and-lock dancing together, how Phil 2's death continues to haunt the group (plus the return of Doctor Gail), Tandy talking about delivering Carol's baby in terms of wanting to make his late parents proud -- overall, I thought this was a sweet episode. :)

• Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I kept waiting for him to tell everyone his name wasn't Jasper.

He might not remember his real name.

I hope he spends limited time with Tandy. That whole endless "thank you"/"you're welcome" cycle borders on child abuse.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

Tandy is too stupid even for sitcoms. He seriously thought he was preparing with that baby catapult and jello BS? He wasn't even looking at actual info about childbirth all this time? I basically hate his character.

• Love 6
(edited)

And what will they replace it with?  Name that Tune hosted by Jamie Foxx (nice career choice) where you go up against a cell phone app?????  

Oh... wait a minute.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by HotRats2112
  • Love 2

I have to give Forte credit, he really does not mind looking as ugly as possible for the sake of comedy.  I probably be shocked when I see how good he looks in real life.  I am surprised this quirky little show made it this long, so hopefully it will get another season (little engine that could).

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

So wait...this was a six month time skip?

Oh is that what it was?!!?!!  I was so confused.  It's like did I miss an episode or something? No I didn't.. Strange they did a 6 month time jump.  I wish they hadn't done that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I have to give Forte credit, he really does not mind looking as ugly as possible for the sake of comedy.

Think of him walking around Los Angeles for months with half his body shaved.  And I read that he never breaks.  Not on SNL. Not even with Kristen Schaal farting on him during a sex scene.  

Guys a pro.

• Love 5

I thought Erica and Gail were getting married :P 

I hope the delivery of the baby will be smooth and easy. :/

Maybe Pamela will help? if she has medical background before being a super rich housewife.

I thought she will see the plane explosion (no) and the fire from the satellite (no) where are you Pamela?

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, sarahthenerd said:

This episode left me on a real high, I loved it.

Then I went on Twitter and that high came plummeting down...

Aww. :( I think I may have mentioned it here before, but depending on how it ends next week, I seriously hope it gets at least one more half-season and the writers know ahead of time whether it'll be their last...

Also, a couple more funny callbacks on last night's show: Crickets at the wedding (I guess they must have rebuilt their population after the gang ate most of them back in 2x5) -- not to mention the use of way more chairs than needed, recreating the wedding scene in 2x16 -- and Carol's "I have diarrhea" excuse (going way back to 1x4 -- I think it was Phil 1 who had that line...). :D

Edited by GRChereck
(edited)

After some really plodding episodes I loved the time jump and all the inherent comedy they added to that. Everyone wearing wedding dresses and tuxedos, Tandy referencing all the adventures of the past six months. The Jasper speaking fake-out. I thought they may have some flash backs to reveal some of that, but nope! This show revels in its alternative comedy space.

Gail's steadfastness was wonderful. She kept her cool, but didn't put up with any of Gail or Tandy's BS. I like how the show has evolved the characters to show that they know how to handle each other without flipping their shit like they did early on.

"Todd, do you want me to go crazy again?" This is the perfect role for January Jones.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

After some really plodding episodes I loved the time jump and all the inherent comedy they added to that... I thought they may have some flash backs to reveal some of that, but nope! This show revels in its alternative comedy space.

Well put -- while I thought last week's ep ("...20 Picnics...") was a slight improvement over the two previous ones ("Find This Thing..." and "Point Person..."), I'd say this was exactly what the show needed to get past its recent wheel-spinning after Lewis' departure and the Akron road-trip / Gail's return. :) 

1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

After some really plodding episodes I loved the time jump and all the inherent comedy they added to that. Everyone wearing wedding dresses and tuxedos, Tandy referencing all the adventures of the past six months. The Jasper speaking fake-out. I thought they may have some flash backs to reveal some of that, but nope! This show revels in its alternative comedy space.

So true. And now I love that we were complaining about nothing happening in the previous eps of the season, and then we get this one. A time jump. Where so much happened that we didn't get to see. That's pretty damn funny. I cracked up when Tandy commented on all the women wearing wedding dresses, saying, "We all know who's getting married, so that was not confusing at all." And at the beginning was the bit with Jaspar TALKING! There's the fakeout about Tandy being surprised by this, but he's actually surprised by Jaspar having painted the car pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness.

I like Jaspar so much more now that he's talking. 

Jaspar: Here are two rings around the rosy.
Tandy: Jaspar???
Jaspar: Boom.

I can't tell if the others are aware of Gail's and Erica's relationship. I hope this doesn't affect Gail's ability to deliver her baby. Maybe Tandy will actually be helpful. I hope so.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know from the Andy Bobrow interview that they weren't considering this the end but that really had a finale vibe to it.  Of course in true Last Man fashion that wasnt the last episode of the season.  

Edited by HotRats2112
Awful spelling
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The one thing that really surprised me was the presence of the calf (now fully grown) at the wedding.  

Oh, for me, it was that Melissa was finally back to her old self.  I had gotten so used to crazypants Melissa that I had forgotten how much of a dry wit she had before she went off the deep end.

And Jasper not only talking but rolling his eyes at everything that comes out of Tandy's mouth or that Tandy makes him say?  The kid's going to be all right, I think!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, HotRats2112 said:

Todd and Melissa P&L'ing was my favorite

What is P&L'ing?  Man I love this show! :) They should really change the name of the show to the last people on earth. That's what I call it. :)

(edited)
On 5/1/2017 at 9:53 AM, TheRabbi said:

That scene with the Jello was hilariously disturbing

It kind of reminded me of the bit from Forte's movie "The Brothers Solomon" where he and Will Arnett were practicing how to change diapers by using diapers filled with dead birds and popcorn.

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, sonyab said:

What is P&L'ing? 

Pop & Locking.  Dancing but continuously changing your moves.  Sort of like break dancing. Mel Rodriguez is a master of it. Obviously.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, CofCinci said:

This is the only series I watch on Fox and it's only one the rare series that I'll watch live or in less than 24 hours after airing.  I hope Fox keeps it. 

I watch, but don't know quite why. I guess because I don't have many shows left to watch, and I do like some of the characters. I really can't stand OTT Tandy. And why can't he go back to Phil? I'm torn about it continuing. 

On 5/2/2017 at 10:52 AM, HotRats2112 said:

Pop & Locking.  Dancing but continuously changing your moves.  Sort of like break dancing.

Ohhhh. I never heard of that kind of dancing before.. Cool!

"Mel Rodriguez is a master of it. Obviously."

Haha. Obviously! :)

It was good to see Jasper finally speak, and Melissa being back to her old self again. These events happened AFTER the six-month time jump, right? Oh man, I'm gonna have to rewatch this episode just to be sure!

Someone mentioned above that we learned Todd's last name in this episode when Tandy said that they were now "Chartres-Rodriguez". I find it fascinating that Todd's been a regular who has been in every episode since he first appeared (except the S2 episode that focused on Mike when he came down from space) and it took us this long to find out his last name. :P

9 hours ago, Virtual Side said:

It was good to see Jasper finally speak, and Melissa being back to her old self again. These events happened AFTER the six-month time jump, right? Oh man, I'm gonna have to rewatch this episode just to be sure!

Yup, that would've happened sometime during the time-jump (probably not too long after the events of the previous episode, considering how they were laughing and bonding at the end of 3x15). :)

9 hours ago, Virtual Side said:

Someone mentioned above that we learned Todd's last name in this episode when Tandy said that they were now "Chartres-Rodriguez". I find it fascinating that Todd's been a regular who has been in every episode since he first appeared (except the S2 episode that focused on Mike when he came down from space) and it took us this long to find out his last name. :P

Plus, even after the s.3 finale, we still don't know Erica's last name. :\

It annoys me terribly that Erica doesn't have a last name. It makes me feel like the writers don't care about her as much as they do the others. They could at least reveal it on Twitter or something. :/

I wonder if the "no last names" thing is a deliberate choice, since they're down to so few people, what do they matter?  Of course, now that Erica has her baby and Carol's is on the way, they might be more useful (or at least part of teaching the kids about how things used to be).

• Love 1