Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: Strife on Mars

8 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

They can't. Walter is their boss. They could all quit in protest though. 

Then fire the writers, writing him.

He's easily one of the worst characters on tv.

I hope Paige goes to Tim.  Oh yeah, and thanks for firing Toby's Best Man, b4 the wedding.

• Love 2

"Hey, we need to cool down the reactor that's turning us all into jerky! Let's use the insta-freeze fertilizer to freeze some dirt that we could have shoveled out by the time we did the freezing! Oh, it's at least still big chunks of ice? Let's use that ice to melt into water to form mud to spackle some vents!" This show is increasingly making the new MacGuyver look like true rocket science.

Also, WTF magic material were those dome walls made of that they couldn't cut a hole in it but instead had to blow up a reinforced airlock by making homemade explosive putty and... ok, I have no idea how the flames got through the airlock seal? 

• Love 1

Do these fuckers have no concept of a risk registry? Seriously. I suppose the conditions on Mars are probably worse outside than in, but in the event of a massive power failure, you get locked in? There's no manual way to open a door? And they have all this dangerous shit that can go wrong and kill people in 30 minutes due to rising temps? And it didn't seem like all that odd a sequence of events to cause it, so basically multimillion dollar deathtrap is what that guy was building. Usually they at least fake some rare circumstances that cause whatever improbable thing to happen. But this was just garden variety stuff breaking and humans being assholes.

Also that air conditioning unit looked pretty standard through the wall, so when they were trapped instead of turning the compressor into an injector whatever, why didn't they just try to remove the whole thing from the wall and crawl out?

I'm also really sick of these genuises being unable to lie to literally save their lives. Don't just pretend and hope Walter won't remember. They didn't even need to acknowledge knowing anything. Tell him he was unconscious most of the time he was in space and clearly hallucinating but was incoherent and they didn't know about what and then just let him think that he's the only one who knew what those "memories" were. It doesn't make sense that they'd just be like "yup! ya made an ass of yourself!" And Ralph's whole bullshit to his mom was super bullshit. Has he never heard of the concept of believing something because it's what you wanted to hear? I do not for one second buy this whole "he's too intelligent to believe the lie even when hypoxic" malarkey.

The preposterousness keeps getting worse on this show but not in a fun way. Maybe they think they keep going farther it'll go past ridiculous and loop back around?

• Love 2

Was this the season finale?   Kinda anticlimactic.  Paige and Walter are the worse pairing on TV.  Yeah.  Paige can stay gone.  

I for the writers being replaced.  CBS needs to clean house. 

I love this show. It's pure popcorn fun. It has the heart of the soul of ridiculous/cheesy 1980s action-adventure series. The problem is that time has marched on and while the writers have no problem acknowleding that modern technology exists, they don't realize or don't care that there are people out there who have a deep understanding of all of it, and the means to broadcast thier opinion (the internet/message boards/social media). 

I loved that Walter said that Ralph was the smartest person in the room. Based on how much Walter cares about being the smartest person in the room, him being willing to admit that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, which lasted until the end of the episode. I can't wait to see how the writers get out themselves of this mess. I'm guessing Paige gets into a horrible car accident, and Walter realizes he was wrong. 

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They didn't even need to acknowledge knowing anything. Tell him he was unconscious most of the time he was in space and clearly hallucinating but was incoherent and they didn't know about what and then just let him think that he's the only one who knew what those "memories" were. 

That would have worked. They could have told him he was remembering a dream/hallucinations, not something that actually happened. 

• Love 2

I obviously don't retain anything from this show.  I had no idea that everyone was hiding Walter's space hallucinations from him.  I actually felt for Walter, how embarrassing.

As his friends, everyone should have told him what happened and as "geniuses" known that the memories would be probably be triggered someday.  It's pretty obvious that Walter only fired Paige to save face and because he was embarrassed.  So unfortunately Walter is still immature.  If he really believed the crap he was trying to sell, he would have talked to the team about whether or not Paige was still needed. 

I don't mind Paige and they're both attractive people, but Walter and Paige just don't work as a couple for me.

Who's paying for all the van deposits, Abracadabricus, etc??  They're so casual about it.

Toby, Happy and the Toby Dick painting reminded me of When Harry Met Sally and the wagon wheel coffee table.  The coffee table didn't stay though.

The bio dome guy just takes off when an emergency happens?? They neededed Mark Watney, not the Scorpion team,

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

It's pure popcorn fun. It has the heart of the soul of ridiculous/cheesy 1980s action-adventure series.

I agree with this; it's why the overly dramatic Paige/Walter stuff doesn't work.  Paige and Tim made sense and I like Happy and Toby - no major drammma.   The show works best with the cheesiness and regular interpersonal stuff.

• Love 3

The thing that bugs is that Walter's all "my team, we're a team" and then goes and makes some big unilateral decision without talking to his team about it, heh.

• Love 1

Walter should be mature and genius enough to understand oxygen deprivation and hallucinations. There was nothing to be embarrassed about. Instead he should have thanked Paige and laughed about it all.  He acts like a 10 year old with a crush.   It's obvious Paige's job isn't finished  by his reaction, so who is lying now,Ralph? 

Paige doesn't fit with Walter, nor did she with Tim( no chemistry). She actually fit best with Ralph's father.  I wish they would quit trying to shoehorn Walter and Paige together while causing havoc on the team. 

Happy is really expanding her relationship skills. Framing Toby Dick - she's ready for marriage. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

Dumbass Walter. He starts to be a little better this season, and then he does something like this. And screw the writers for dragging this shit for so long. At least they haven't messed up Toby and Happy...yet. Ralph seems to be the only person who gets it. 

• Love 1

IMDB indicates that there are 25 episodes this season so I guess this wasn't the season finale.   This episode was absurd even by Scorpion standards but whatever.  I've given up being put off by the "science" these writers come up with.  If my head hasn't exploded by now, it probably won't regardless of what nonsense they produce.

I don't really dislike Paige as a character but the more I think about it the more I realize she's not necessary to the show anymore other than as a romantic foil for the lead.  Frankly in that capacity the character seems to frustrate more fans than encouraging interest so maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if they wrote her off the show and brought in some new blood to change the dynamic.  For those calling for Walter to be written off, it's simply not going to happen.  This show is loosely based on someone's life, it's "about" him.  Like him or not, that character is going to be around as long as Scorpion is.  

Hopefully next season they hire a scientist that graduated high school as an advisor.

8 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Best part of this episode is that Ralph still has a halfway decent haircut.

Anyone willing to bet that Ralph is the one who can convince Walter to hire Paige back? Confession: I think Ralph is adorable and one of my favorite characters on this show

I would not make that bet because it's almost certain to happen. There are never consequences on this show. That said, I do think it would be delightful if they just got rid of the Paige-role on the team, went back to being buncha geniuses, and if they fuck up because they have no social skills either Cabe can be the one to try to smooth it over in the moment, or no one does and things just play out as they do. Paige can still pop up now and again in a Ralph's mom capacity. Basically, flip flop the amount of screentime Ralph and Paige get. (although I realize that's tricky mainly due to child actor laws). Still, it'd be more interesting to me than all this will they won't they they already did but maybe they will again malarkey.

• Love 2

Sigh, maybe I am wrong (since I might not be a genius) but seriously Scorpion just because someone is "smart" and has genius level IQ doesn't mean they will instantaneously have skills acquisition to do anything.  I mean to just say flippantly, "He is the smartest one in the room" to explain how Ralph hacked the Dome is stupid.  I mean we all know Ralph has hacking/computing skills, he has shown it in previous episodes, but he has a background in use of computers and hacking, it isn't like he just randomly picked up the computer for the first time ever and did what he did. 

I really don't know why anyone made the whole space thing such a big deal.  Seriously, Walter is an idiot to be embarrassed, and everyone else was an idiot to make it more of a big deal than it was, I mean if they had just told him when he first asked about it then any normal human being would have just laughed it off (of course Walter is "different" so who knows) but you know what they say, the cover up is worse than the crime.

And again Scorpion, since when was being a "genius" makes you an automatic lie detector?  Ralph pulling that BS out of his ass was ridiculous.  Oh Mom, Walter is a genius, and geniuses can't be deceived.

And the ridiculing of the mathacadabra was just plain mean.  Not a smart move by Paige (what was she thinking) but still not nice by the team to take it out on the guy.

8 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Sigh, maybe I am wrong (since I might not be a genius) but seriously Scorpion just because someone is "smart" and has genius level IQ doesn't mean they will instantaneously have skills acquisition to do anything.  I mean to just say flippantly, "He is the smartest one in the room" to explain how Ralph hacked the Dome is stupid.  I mean we all know Ralph has hacking/computing skills, he has shown it in previous episodes, but he has a background in use of computers and hacking, it isn't like he just randomly picked up the computer for the first time ever and did what he did. 

I hear what you're saying, but I think the guy hired them with knowledge of who Scorpion is and their general skillsets. So he probably knows that, in addition to having the skills to solve the problem he hired them for, they are skilled hackers. So the offhand casual remarks that the kid was the smartest in the room, I took to mean they were basically saying, no he's one of us, not a random coworker's kid (even though he's both). They were implying he can and does do what they do, which is true. So the issue wasn't just that Ralph is smarter than they are, although I believe the show regularly indicates he is, and I don't think the intention was to imply that high IQ=skills. I think they were just being cheeky about saying without saying that he could basically do their jobs as well as they can. That's how I took it anyway.

15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I would not make that bet because it's almost certain to happen. There are never consequences on this show. That said, I do think it would be delightful if they just got rid of the Paige-role on the team, went back to being buncha geniuses, and if they fuck up because they have no social skills either Cabe can be the one to try to smooth it over in the moment, or no one does and things just play out as they do. Paige can still pop up now and again in a Ralph's mom capacity. Basically, flip flop the amount of screentime Ralph and Paige get. (although I realize that's tricky mainly due to child actor laws). Still, it'd be more interesting to me than all this will they won't they they already did but maybe they will again malarkey.

I'm delighted you think my prediction is accuare. It's fun when you make a prediction, and it turns out to be right. The flip flop wouldn't be as hard you think. I don't think it's as hard to work around child actor laws as you do. They seem to be doing fine with it so far. Ralph doesn't appear in every single episode, so they could just continue having him appear when they need/want him to. Paige could drop him off and pick him up in mom capacity, as you so perfectly described it. 

• Love 1
On 4/18/2017 at 2:02 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

"Hey, we need to cool down the reactor that's turning us all into jerky! Let's use the insta-freeze fertilizer to freeze some dirt that we could have shoveled out by the time we did the freezing! Oh, it's at least still big chunks of ice? Let's use that ice to melt into water to form mud to spackle some vents!" This show is increasingly making the new MacGuyver look like true rocket science.

Also, WTF magic material were those dome walls made of that they couldn't cut a hole in it but instead had to blow up a reinforced airlock by making homemade explosive putty and... ok, I have no idea how the flames got through the airlock seal? 

Love that last line in the first paragraph!

And I told Mr.Roamyn the same thing....That door looked like the only sturdy part of the whole work-up.  Cut a fricking hole in the side!

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

The flip flop wouldn't be as hard you think. I don't think it's as hard to work around child actor laws as you do. They seem to be doing fine with it so far. Ralph doesn't appear in every single episode, so they could just continue having him appear when they need/want him to. Paige could drop him off and pick him up in mom capacity, as you so perfectly described it. 

It wouldn't be hard, per se, to increase Ralph's screentime, but it would potentially be expensive, which is why I don't expect them to completely do it. The flip-flop I was hoping for was explicitly: Ralph is in every episode; Paige is in every third or less. They could use him more but still not all the time, but that's not really what I was hoping they'd do. Not that this show have ever done anything I hoped it would.

17 hours ago, bros402 said:

The only thing I was wondering at the end of the episode is if the season finale will continue the trend of Scorpion season finales with Walter speeding off somewhere.

This time I was thinking they might flip it. My prediction: Paige speeds off somewhere, and gets into an accident. Walter realizes he was responsible, feels terrible about it, and vows to be a better person in the future. The last part won't stick beyond the first few episodes of the next season. 

6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

This time I was thinking they might flip it. My prediction: Paige speeds off somewhere, and gets into an accident. Walter realizes he was responsible, feels terrible about it, and vows to be a better person in the future. The last part won't stick beyond the first few episodes of the next season. 

Let's have it be totally bonkers and it is Ralph speeding off.

Or Walter invents a self driving car to speed off for him.

Though yours makes sense.