Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef Gauntlet: Gladiators Ready!

(edited)

Why is the Food Network trying to make Sarah Gruenberg happen?  Watching Iron Chef Eats for no reason and some of the food is making my mouth water (the New Orleans Israeli chef), but there is way too much Sarah.  The food she likes is mostly disgusting (gargantuan breakfast sandwich)  and she talks like a teenaged Valley Girl, with a rising inflection at the end of every sentence.

I notice that Stephanie has not been on these "Iron Chef Eats"episodes.  There is probably just somewhere that she drew the line.  I've wondered why she ever agreed to participate in the first place.  She has a James Beard award and 3 or 4 successful restaurants in Chicago.  Anyone care to speculate why she is on this show?

ETA: now she is rhapsodizing over chicken nuggets.  GMAFB.

Edited by susannot
chicken nuggets
  • Love 5

I knew N won just looking at his dishes and hearing their feedback.  But shocked when Alton  said the judges were not in agreement.  That led me to believe Giada didn't like his confusing talk about the lemon.  

I don't eat octopus because they are intelligent animals and I just cannot do it. 

Now that they are down to 4 it should get more interesting.  Go Stephanie!  

• Love 2

I cannot eat octopus either.  Tentacles. I didn't know they were considered intelligent animals.  All the more reason.  Yes, go Stephanie!!  I'm beginning to wonder whether The FN actually does want her as an IC?

Why is the Food Network trying to make Sarah Gruenberg happen?

I was going to ask the same question.  I don't like anything about her.  I'm also wondering how they got Mario Batali back to do Iron Chef Eats.

Giada just has to be the center of attention.  She started talking before Marc Forgione was finished speaking three times.  I thought blaming the chef because she used too much lemon was a little much.  If she orders prime rib and it comes with a side of horseradish does she dump it all on there before she even tastes it?

Watching the chefs prepare three dishes in a short time really makes me appreciate their knowledge and skills.  I was exhausted on their behalf.

• Love 4

It's difficult to type as I'm suffering temporary blindness from overexposure to LBH's overpowering expanse of white teeth and stainless steel nails.

It was disappointing to see Chef Gulotta get his marching papers.  He was an interesting chef - not to mention a really good-looking guy.

They can't eliminate Sarah G. soon enough.  Like two weeks ago.

Marc Forgione came across as a pleasant, thoughtful judge.  I liked him here, and I don't remember him leaving that much of an impression when he won ICA.

Right now it's Anybody But Sarah for the win.

• Love 6
(edited)

Until they get to the real Iron Chefs, this show is just another cooking competition to me.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

Not real excited here about anything. One would think that part of the show is to get to know the chefs involved. To relate to the next iron chef.  Not happening.  It's the opposite.  

• Love 1

The food that these chefs have been cooking looks fascinating to me.  I'm much more interested in trying their food than I was in most of the dishes prepared on The Next Iron Chef.  Whether that's a credit to the contestants or the straight forward nature of the challenges, I still appreciate it. 

I developed a theory last night about Chef Nakajima - his style is restrained which can come across as bland while Alton is trying food from a half-dozen people but comes across as elegant and subtle one-on-one.  In other words, I don't think it's a fluke that he's crushing it in the head-to-head challenge.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, wings707 said:

I don't eat octopus because they are intelligent animals and I just cannot do it. 

It's their intelligence that makes them delicious! :)  They are mildly flavored, which means they absorb seasoning well. A firm white flesh that can get gummy if overcooked, but it's pretty easy to not screw up. I don't think I've ever eaten the suckers, but the tentacles themselves are yummy sliced and grilled. They go well in all kinds of cuisines. I've had 'em on pizza, I've had 'em in Greek food, I've had 'em in Asian food. (There's a Greek restaurant downstairs from my job, where they do sidewalk seating in the nice weather  --aka now -- and every time I walk by and somebody has octopus on their plate, I have to fight myself to not spear a slice.)

Mopey GDL makes me laugh (at her). 'Waah. It's your fault I ruined my food!' I was kind of hoping we'd see the individual judge's cards (even though we never ever do), just to verify my suspicion that GDL voted for Gulotta, and MF for Nakajima.

The eyerolling at Alton's elaborate introductory remarks made me smile.

I wanted to try Sarah's beet shnitzel. That looked interesting!

I just bought my first ever bottle of fish sauce because of this show. Now I have to figure out how to use it...

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, attica said:

It's their intelligence that makes them delicious! :)  They are mildly flavored, which means they absorb seasoning well. A firm white flesh that can get gummy if overcooked, but it's pretty easy to not screw up. I don't think I've ever eaten the suckers, but the tentacles themselves are yummy sliced and grilled. They go well in all kinds of cuisines. I've had 'em on pizza, I've had 'em in Greek food, I've had 'em in Asian food. (There's a Greek restaurant downstairs from my job, where they do sidewalk seating in the nice weather  --aka now -- and every time I walk by and somebody has octopus on their plate, I have to fight myself to not spear a slice.)

Mopey GDL makes me laugh (at her). 'Waah. It's your fault I ruined my food!' I was kind of hoping we'd see the individual judge's cards (even though we never ever do), just to verify my suspicion that GDL voted for Gulotta, and MF for Nakajima.

The eyerolling at Alton's elaborate introductory remarks made me smile.

I wanted to try Sarah's beet shnitzel. That looked interesting!

I just bought my first ever bottle of fish sauce because of this show. Now I have to figure out how to use it...

Now see?  Look what you have done.  You made octopus sound so delicious, I have try it! Despite my concerns about their intelligence I will find it if I have to drive miles.  Damn. 

I agree with the bold and would put money on it.  She was quite bothered! 

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It's difficult to type as I'm suffering temporary blindness from overexposure to LBH's overpowering expanse of white teeth and stainless steel nails.

It was disappointing to see Chef Gulotta get his marching papers.  He was an interesting chef - not to mention a really good-looking guy.

They can't eliminate Sarah G. soon enough.  Like two weeks ago.

Marc Forgione came across as a pleasant, thoughtful judge.  I liked him here, and I don't remember him leaving that much of an impression when he won ICA.

Right now it's Anybody But Sarah for the win.

TOTALLY agree. Sarah  (fat ass)NEEDS to go. She's an obnoxious b and way too full of herself. I saw her on Top Chef - couldn't stand her then with her uppity attitude and can't stand her now.

Edited by Kallee
23 hours ago, susannot said:

Why is the Food Network trying to make Sarah Gruenberg happen?  Watching Iron Chef Eats for no reason and some of the food is making my mouth water (the New Orleans Israeli chef), but there is way too much Sarah.  The food she likes is mostly disgusting (gargantuan breakfast sandwich)  and she talks like a teenaged Valley Girl, with a rising inflection at the end of every sentence.

I notice that Stephanie has not been on these "Iron Chef Eats"episodes.  There is probably just somewhere that she drew the line.  I've wondered why she ever agreed to participate in the first place.  She has a James Beard award and 3 or 4 successful restaurants in Chicago.  Anyone care to speculate why she is on this show?

ETA: now she is rhapsodizing over chicken nuggets.  GMAFB.

Sarah loves gargantuan sandwiches, and it shows. She's REALLY overweight. LOVE her double/triple chins - LOL!

I was sorry to see Gulotta go, he seemed like an interesting guy.  I am always fascinated by Louisiana Sicilians as I'm of half Sicilian descent and being from the Northeast I didn't even know there was such a thing until I learned about Muffalettas.  Even more annoying for me was that their one note wunderkind Nakajima sent him home.  He doesn't seem to know much other than Asian cuisine judging from some of his comments and the fact that he only cooks Asian food.  The guy is American judging from his accent, he should be confident enough in his ability to cook something other than Asian food.  Most of the other chefs seemed to have no problem cooking Asian even though that's not their home culture.

That said, Giada's face made me think that (once again) she was pulling for her "paesan" to win.  I usually would try not to think such things, but given her constant favoritism for Italian chefs on "Food Network Star" I can't help it.

I went into this not having much of an opinion on Sarah even though I remember her from "Top Chef", but she is starting to annoy me.  I've been solidly on Team Stephanie from day one anyway.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, attica said:

Mopey GDL makes me laugh (at her). 'Waah. It's your fault I ruined my food!'

That was hilarious because she absolutely mangled that lemon.  It made me wonder if she did it on purpose. But, bear with me a moment, I did think she had a point.  While he did say add "a little" lemon, he didn't detail how to eat it until after he had presented it.  And with Iron Chef, since the chefs are supposed to be presenting creative dishes for a culinary experience, as much of the flavor should be controlled.  I think it's similar to when chefs present a dish with a sprig of rosemary for decoration that most people aren't just going to simply eat.  It shouldn't be there.

• Love 1

I'm curious if there's anyone here who doesn't remember Sarah G from Top Chef and consequently has a different perspective regarding her culinary abilities.

She was so horribly mean girl to Beverly Kim on TC.  I just can't get past it, and I'd never patronize her establishment because she was such a nasty, awful person.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That was hilarious because she absolutely mangled that lemon.  It made me wonder if she did it on purpose. But, bear with me a moment, I did think she had a point.  While he did say add "a little" lemon, he didn't detail how to eat it until after he had presented it.  And with Iron Chef, since the chefs are supposed to be presenting creative dishes for a culinary experience, as much of the flavor should be controlled.  I think it's similar to when chefs present a dish with a sprig of rosemary for decoration that most people aren't just going to simply eat.  It shouldn't be there.

Mixed feelings here.  A lot of judges feel a plated dish should be eaten as presented.  They're known for waving around garnishes and asking what they're supposed to do with them.

Personally, I don't care.  As long as it's visually appealing and tastes like manna from heaven, I'm fine with it.

Giada should really get over herself.  We know she doesn't swallow what she appears to eat on cam anyway.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, spiderpig said:

Personally, I don't care.  As long as it's visually appealing and tastes like manna from heaven, I'm fine with it.

Personally, I don't care either when I'm at a restaurant but I think I might if I were a judge on Iron Chef.  It is up to the chefs to present a dish that makes the secret ingredient sing.

3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

CNN just listed Sarah Grueneberg as one of the 10 women that every foodie should know.  Wow.

It appears to be true, she is killing it!  I don't remember her from Texas.  My memory is lousy for recalling past tv shows,  but I took an immediate dislike to her so there must be residue of her in my brain somewhere. Lol 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I'm curious if there's anyone here who doesn't remember Sarah G from Top Chef and consequently has a different perspective regarding her culinary abilities.

She was so horribly mean girl to Beverly Kim on TC.  I just can't get past it, and I'd never patronize her establishment because she was such a nasty, awful person.

I never saw her on Top Chef, and I think she is coming across fine here, attitude and culinary ability. 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Maya said:

I never saw her on Top Chef, and I think she is coming across fine here. 

Thanks for the perspective, Maya.  That's what these boards are here for!

• Love 2

I think I was one of the few TC watchers that neither hated nor loved Sarah.  I did find her annoying and eye-rolly at times, but that describes a lot of contestants.  I did lean more towards dislike than like, but recall there were much worse in that season.  I also remember thinking her food was good (even if I didn't post about it :-P ) so I'm not surprised she's doing well here.  That said, I love Stephanie and really want her to win, which I'm sure means she won't.  Hopefully she lasts a long time, at least.

• Love 3
(edited)

I haven't seen the latest episode but based on the comments that FN is pushing Sarah (which I totally believe)--- WHY? We need another chef doing PASTA????? 

Especially with so many folks (myself included) are trying not to eat a pound of carbs at every meal.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2017 at 5:29 AM, dleighg said:

I haven't seen the latest episode but based on the comments that FN is pushing Sarah (which I totally believe)--- WHY? We need another chef doing PASTA????? 

Especially with so many folks (myself included) are trying not to eat a pound of carbs at every meal.

I don't see FN pushing Sarah at all.  She is making better dishes.  Sure one could say that Alton has been told to like hers best.  I don't think this is happening.  First Alton has a reputation to protect and second, I have chosen her dish, in my mind, as the best one there just from listening to her description and seeing it.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I guess I see the "push" as in --- Sarah was featured on that other IC thing (Iron Chef Eats or something?) and it seems her "profiles" inside the show are more elaborate.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

it seems her "profiles" inside the show are more elaborate.

If you've ever listened to the PTV 'making the sausage' podcasts, which talk about how reality shows are made (and I'm specifically thinking about the one from a couple of weeks ago with the Story Editors), you'll find that what clips get included are likely less a product of a predetermined worldview, and more a product of the quality of the stuff filmed. That is to say, if Dady's interviews (for example) aren't making it to air, they must be pretty dull as compared to Sarah's.  (Or they're a sign that we'll have more time with him later, so might as well use up the footage with the ones who'll be gone soon...)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, attica said:

If you've ever listened to the PTV 'making the sausage' podcasts, which talk about how reality shows are made (and I'm specifically thinking about the one from a couple of weeks ago with the Story Editors), you'll find that what clips get included are likely less a product of a predetermined worldview, and more a product of the quality of the stuff filmed. That is to say, if Dady's interviews (for example) aren't making it to air, they must be pretty dull as compared to Sarah's.  (Or they're a sign that we'll have more time with him later, so might as well use up the footage with the ones who'll be gone soon...)

Where can I find these?  I have always thought that they show the most entertaining clips and DTs, entertainment first. 

22 hours ago, wings707 said:

Now see?  Look what you have done.  You made octopus sound so delicious, I have try it! Despite my concerns about their intelligence I will find it if I have to drive miles.  Damn. 

I agree with the bold and would put money on it.  She was quite bothered! 

I'm thinking Giada voted for N as she praised the entire meal for the finesse it showed.

10 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I didn't see Top Chef either so I wouldn't have known she was so awful because I'm not getting that impression here.

I know it's not really great strategy-wise not to go after one of the better performing chefs for the elimination challenge, but I can respect also thinking the best ones are who deserve to stay in it. Maybe she's doing that to have a better image?!

1 hour ago, Winter Rose said:

I didn't see Top Chef either so I wouldn't have known she was so awful because I'm not getting that impression here.

I know it's not really great strategy-wise not to go after one of the better performing chefs for the elimination challenge, but I can respect also thinking the best ones are who deserve to stay in it. Maybe she's doing that to have a better image?!

This is just the response I was looking for.  We all know the editors run the shows, so maybe I should clear the slate.

As we've said many times, editors can't use what you don't say.  So surely they made the Sarah/Beverley thing on Top Chef worse, but it did happen.  I'm having a hard time disregarding it -- I hate bullying of any form.  Also, it grates on me that she pronounces her name incorrectly -- in German, it would be something like "Groonaberk". 

32 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

As we've said many times, editors can't use what you don't say.  So surely they made the Sarah/Beverley thing on Top Chef worse, but it did happen.  I'm having a hard time disregarding it -- I hate bullying of any form.  Also, it grates on me that she pronounces her name incorrectly -- in German, it would be something like "Groonaberk". 

You're bringing out the rebel in me, rammchick.  I really don't like her at all, but I thought maybe I should play nice, even though it's against my nature.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I TOTALLY agree with your comments about fat ass Sarah. She's a nasty b. Hopefully, she'll be eliminated from the competition soon.

8 hours ago, Rammchick said:

As we've said many times, editors can't use what you don't say.

True but they can use things out of context.  Like an eye roll filmed after a judge told a corny joke but placed after another contestant saying they think they made the best dish. 

I didn't watch the TC season with Sarah so I have no opinion on it but they can do a lot with editing and with questioning (UnREAL was fascinating in that regard.)  So far, she's not my favorite but whatever focus/edit she got in that season so far hasn't translated to this show.  My Stephanie like, however, has and I'm rooting for her.

• Love 3

Regarding the choice of which chef should go into the elimination challenge ....  the first episode ... Stephanie won and decided to put the 'second worst dish' or Nyesha in the challenge ... Sarah is just following the same thing Stephanie did. 

Regarding Sarah and Top Chef ... I did watch that season and had her pegged as a mean girl ... got into a discussion on the Bravo site with a gentleman named Second Try (I think I enjoyed that more than the show) ... bottom line when the show was over there was a clip on the site of Heather, another 'mean girl' ... when I watched it I saw and heard Sarah and not Heather thereby proving Second Try's point that sometimes the lines get blurred ... not saying Sarah is or isn't a 'mean girl' just saying that sometimes it's the combination of personalities that determine how you come across to others.   Especially with the cameras following you around capturing every moment  

Regarding the final IC candidate ... am I the only one thinking the cheftestant that is going to win is Nakajima?  I wonder if he will be in the bottom two again next week.  He's now won two elimination challenges and though a risky strategy he's the one that we are  actually seeing and getting to know. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, attica said:

I'm increasingly impatient with Nakajima's refusal to cook out of his metier. I've no doubt his dishes are tasty, but: ::grumblegrumble::

The original Iron Chef Japan gave each Iron Chef a specialty - Iron Chef Chinese, Iron Chef Italian, etc.  It made sense to drop that for American TV but ever since I've kind of liked the chefs who espouse a specialty. Yes, they need to be able to handle all ingredients so Nakajima should be able to do more than seafood but I don't mind that he focuses on Japanese cooking and wouldn't really like seeing him make biscuits and gravy.  

I am, however, still rooting for Stephanie.  I've loved her ever since Top Chef even though I also like Blase (which I know is an unpopular opinion in these parts).

I also second the request to lay off the fat-shaming of Gruenwald. I didn't like her much in TC Texas but that was a brutal season messed up by the producers so I'l try to cut her slack here. I think what bothers me here is her false perkiness in everything she says.

Edited by rab01
  • Love 6

I'm enjoying this show. I like the low-keyness of it - no stupid goofy stuff, no manufactured drama, no contestants trying to be "big" personalities and hamming it up to the camera, no stupid elements to challenges that detract from competent food preparation. I like watching how the chefs master the challenge, and Alton's explanations on what they are making and how they are making it. The emphasis is on FOOD and its preparation. Also the contestants are all good chefs so the talent pool is pretty even.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm enjoying this show. I like the low-keyness of it - no stupid goofy stuff, no manufactured drama, no contestants trying to be "big" personalities and hamming it up to the camera, no stupid elements to challenges that detract from competent food preparation. I like watching how the chefs master the challenge, and Alton's explanations on what they are making and how they are making it. The emphasis is on FOOD and its preparation. Also the contestants are all good chefs so the talent pool is pretty even.

I like what you said here, lamb.  We kind of expect theatrics from Cutthroat Kitchen and GGG, but it's nice to see some serious cooking, and I enjoy Alton's surgical analysis of the chefs' performances.

Even at this point in life - and I'm older than most redwood trees - I learn something new about food by watching this kind of show.

• Love 2

I agree @spiderpig and @Lamb18.  I like this show, too, but never stopped to look at why.  The focus on food and easy personalities is it.   I like Alton.  I watched Cutthroat kitchen for a little while but could not get into that much.  I found my self FFing to see Antonia judge.  I love that woman and would like to see more of her.   She would be good on Masterchef in place of Tosi.  Well, anyone would.   I like Simon Majumdar, as well. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Sarah won a James Beard for Best Chef Great Lakes over the weekend. 

I googled her after the first episode and she is highly regarded.  She has many accolades. 

• Love 1

This is kinda oblique to topic, but I just learned that this year for the first time, the student body of the Culinary Institute is more than half women.

53 minutes ago, attica said:

This is kinda oblique to topic, but I just learned that this year for the first time, the student body of the Culinary Institute is more than half women.

Nice. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:29 PM, MerBearHou said:

CNN just listed Sarah Grueneberg as one of the 10 women that every foodie should know.  Wow.

NOT someone I would want to know - fat, mean, nasty, non-talented bully.

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I googled her after the first episode and she is highly regarded.  She has many accolades. 

Just goes to show man people have NO taste.

So this is the next challenge:

Classic Combos

Turning the ordinary into the extraordinary is an important tenet for Iron Chefs, and the Chairman's Challenge assigns each competitor a classic one-two flavor combo. Alton Brown's tasting determines the top and bottom chefs, with the least successful joining the winner's chef of choice in round two. A deceptively simple Secret Ingredient that may ruffle feathers is revealed, then the two chefs make their most sophisticated culinary interpretation of the item. Judges Ali Bouzari and Iron Chef Cat Cora determine who stays and who goes.

Doesn't say much except naming the two judges that we already saw at the end of the previous ep.

If it involves ordinary and ruffling feathers, we know it ain't divers scallops.

But the more I read the description, the confuseder I get.