Type keyword(s) to search

Marvelous Media for Mrs. Maisel

• Start Topic

‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ Review: Lots To Be Thankful For In ‘Gilmore Girls’ Creator’s New Amazon Series by Deadline's Dominic Patten

With traffic jams and family affairs upon us for Thanksgiving, there are really just two things you need to know about Amazon’s November 29-launching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

First, the adjective in the title of the Amy Sherman-Palladino-created series is more than apt, and the Beat Generation-set dramedy starring Rachel Brosnahan is well worth a binge. Second, what was Jeff Bezos’ streaming service thinking scheduling Mrs. Maisel for next week?

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nominations:

Best Television Series – Comedy
Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan

Wow. I'm not sure it deserves best comedy (one could even argue the show itself is not a comedy), but Rachel Brosnahan has a good case for winning.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ae2 said:

Wow. I'm not sure it deserves best comedy (one could even argue the show itself is not a comedy), but Rachel Brosnahan has a good case for winning.

I think it is one of those shows that doesn't quite fit in either category, but I'd much rather see it in the comedy category than up against The Handmaid's Tale and The Crown in the drama category.

Thanks Wonderwoman. I also laughed and felt appreciative when he said Joel is just a drip and does not work. The show is so good at making things zippy it helps you not notice, but he is such an extreme downer. I also liked when Sepinwall said Joel lingering on and on may be realistic, but it's not dramatically satisfying. Yes! THAT's the problem. I watch and am like, yeah, he's the father of her kids, til he bailed on her they were "happy", so I get where Midge is - but I don't CARE! I don't want to see it. The inevitable sequence where they slept together was torture. I wonder how many other critics have pointed this stuff out.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ae2 said:

I think it's a comedy (certainly more of a comedy than Get Out!). I don't think it's the best in the category, but it's far from the worst (Will & Grace) and there were some serious snubs (The Good Place). I agree Rachel Brosnahan would make a fine winner for best actress in a comedy (although so would Issa Rae; and, again, Kristen Bell should be in there, along with several others).

Still: glad this was recognized. 

Free binge window:

“Marvelous” news from Amazon.

The streaming giant announced Thursday that “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” will be available to stream at no cost starting Friday, January 12 at 12:01am local time and concluding at 11:59pm local time Monday, January 15, using the Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including the Fire TV and mobile devices, and online. (http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/marvelous-mrs-maisel-amazon-free-1202661619/)

• Love 1

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Zachary-Levi-To-Join-Second-Season-of-Amazons-THE-MARVELOUS-MRS-MAISEL-In-Recurring-Role-20180523

I'm trying to not get too excited. I loved Chuck but there's no word on whether he'll be a love interest and anyway, if there's anything I've learned from watching TV it's that shows can and will f*** up a guest star/cameo/supporting role at the earliest opportunity because God forbid characters be settled and happy in any way because unrelenting chaos is necessary for drama. (This is sarcasm. I've seen plenty of shows go stale even when characters are single or still haven't resolved whatever their big issue/mystery was. It's just fear and lazy writing.)

• Love 1

Yes, an "eccentric" doctor, says Broadway World. And if ASP didn't see and fall in love with Levi in the recent revival of the musical She Loves Me, I'll eat my hatbox. It's the signature role in 20th-century musical theater for what we now know as sexy nerds. (Just as Prof. Harold Hill is the signature role in 20th-century musical theater for charismatic talkers who can turn a small town on its ear: male Lorelei Gilmores.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Hollywood Reporter comedy actress roundtable with Molly Shannon (Divorce), Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), Frankie Shaw (SMILF), Drew Barrymore (Santa Clarita Diet), Debra Messing (Will & Grace), Alison Brie (GLOW), and Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 4/5/2018 at 10:46 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Eight friggin' episodes where I laugh a few times each and it will probably win over what has been the consistently best, funniest, and socially relevant comedy, for 22 episodes a season, for the past five years:  Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

• Love 1

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has been nominated for 6 Primetime Emmy Awards:

Outstanding Comedy Series

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Rachel Brosnahan 

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
Jane Lynch 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Alex Borstein 

Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series
Amy Sherman-Palladino 

For episode "Pilot"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Tony Shalhoub 

• Love 2

Additional Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Writing For A Comedy Series - Pilot by Amy Sherman-Palladino
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More) - Ya Shivu v Bolshom Dome Na Kholme
Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - Pilot
Outstanding Period Costumes - The Disappointment Of The Dionne Quintuplets
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series - Pilot
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series - Pilot
Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Outstanding Period Costumes - The Disappointment Of The Dionne Quintuplets

Is there only an award for a specific episode?  Because this show should win this award for the whole season.

3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Is there only an award for a specific episode?  Because this show should win this award for the whole season.

They submit specific episodes, it’s why sometimes shows have multiple nominations in the category.

On July 18, 2018 at 6:51 PM, OtterMommy said:

On July 18, 2018 at 4:03 PM, DianeDobbler said:

Well deserved except, IMO, for Jane Lynch.

Yeah, that one seemed a little odd to me.  It was just Jane Lynch...being Jane Lynch.

Maybe so, but I thought she brought a lot to that part of the story as a foil to Midge, triggering character development.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe so, but I thought she brought a lot to that part of the story as a foil to Midge, triggering character development.

I'm not arguing that...I just don't think that Jane Lynch gave such a unique performance that no one else could have done the same (or better). 

That being said, I've always kind of felt that the guest star awards are more about star power than actual performance.  There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of guest stars in TV shows in a season, yet the only people who seem to be nominated are the ones that everyone knows.

• Love 4
On 7/12/2018 at 12:45 PM, ProudMary said:

Rachel Brosnahan 

Jane Lynch 

Alex Borstein 

Amy Sherman-Palladino 

For episode "Pilot"

Tony Shalhoub 

I wish Marin Henkel would have gotten a nod. She was hysterical as Midges mom.

• Love 1

I straight up didn't like what Lynch did with the role. It was all concept. The costume and set did all the work when we found out that her character was secretly rich and refined. I don't think the performance had any insight - it was all one note and mannerism that struck me as kind of applied, not real.

• Love 3

Interesting article from The Hollywood Reporter.  Season 2 will have 10 episodes, up from S1's 8.  They've also been given a third season by Amazon.  (I can't remember if we knew that already.  I didn't look back at earlier articles.)  Other interesting topics too.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvelous-mrs-maisel-producers-very-ambitious-season-2-1133256

Also, new S2 trailer at this link:  

Edited by ProudMary
  • Love 1

Love the trailer^^. So glad it's coming back. This is the story of my family in one of the alternate universes where we exist having taken a different road or two. And Rachel Brosnahan is the reincarnation of my too soon departed high school girl friend. 

• Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, ProudMary said:

Rachel Brosnahan 

Jane Lynch 

Alex Borstein 

Amy Sherman-Palladino 

For episode "Pilot"

Tony Shalhoub 

I want it to win everything, especially Rachel, Alex and Tony.

• Love 3

The Creative Arts Emmys are being presented tonight and tomorrow night in advance of next week's Primetime Emmy Awards.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel just won its first Emmy of the evening!
https://www.emmys.com/news/awards-news/2018-creative-arts-awards-saturday

Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel • Prime Video • Amazon Studios
Meredith Tucker, Original Casting by
Jeanie Bacharach, CSA, Original Casting by
Cindy Tolan, CSA, Casting by

• Love 2
On 10/07/2018 at 1:00 PM, Inquisitionist said:

Eight friggin' episodes where I laugh a few times each and it will probably win over what has been the consistently best, funniest, and socially relevant comedy, for 22 episodes a season, for the past five years:  Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

agreed. love mrs maisel but if we're judging it as a comedy, something like b99 deserved to get nominated over it. in fact b99 is a funnier show than most, if not all of the nominees this year. still a decent category but we need actual comedies to be considered, not ones that have a hint of it.

• Love 1

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel won the following awards at last night's Creative Arts Emmys:

Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series
Outstanding Music Supervision - “Pilot”
Outstanding Picture Editing (Single Camera Comedy) - "Pilot"

Here are the people that beat TMMM in the other categories

Saturday Night Live's Tiffany Hadish beat Jane Lynch for Outstanding Comedy Guest Actress
The Crown's "Beryl" beat "Pilot" for Best Cinematography (Single-Camera Series, Hour)
The Crown's “Dear Mrs. Kennedy” beat “The Disappointment of the Dionne Quintuplets” for Best Period Costumes
Westworld's "Akane No Mai" beat "Pilot" for Best Hairstyling (Single-Camera Series)
Game of Thrones' "Dragonstone" beat “Ya Shivu v Bolshom Dome Na Kholme” for Best Production Design (Narrative, Period/Fantasy)

Just now, shumalek said:

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel won the following awards at last night's Creative Arts Emmys:

Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series

GLOW deserved this one imo. TMMM has great casting but GLOW definitely is better here.

• Love 1

Total list of Emmys won tonight:

Comedy Series
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Rachel Brosnahan
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Alex Borstein
Writing for a Comedy Series - "Pilot" written by Amy Sherman-Palladino
Directing for a Comedy Series - "Pilot" directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino

• Love 2