Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Point Person Knows Best

So Yoda WAS a little kid. An asshole little kid, but he's survived on his own for this long, it's to be expected.

Carol was super annoying tonight. And yeah, I've missed Gail. She was trapped in an elevator for as long as she was, she's done with bullshit.

RIP Gary.

• Love 4

Ugh. This season hasn't been great but this is still one of my favorite shows. Tonight's episode was the first one I found totally un-funny and annoying. I literally couldn't wait for it to end. The only tiny moment I found funny was Melissa's face when Gail discovered and announced the cigarettes that Tandy was giving to the kid. Last week and this week both had not enough Gail and wayyyy too much of Tandy trying too hard to accomplish something. Shut up, Tandy.

• Love 5
(edited)

Poor Gary. :(

Good on Gail -- whatever she and Todd have going on, it really shouldn't be any of Carol's business (especially when Carol could've been watching the kid with Tandy).

Also, not impressed with the kid so far; I was hoping for a potentially interesting character in his own right, but for now it appears he's just a prop for Tandy, Carol, and Erica to test their parenting skills.

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 2

Tandy was just an asshole tonight -- especially with the hand-flick of cigarettes at Erica.  Gail was right -- Tandy is an idiot.
The hot fudge sundae pool was so stupid on so many levels.  Really Tandy -- the whipped cream can literally says on the outside that it needs to be kept refrigerated, and it hasn't likely been refrigerated for 3+ years and even then it passed the expiration date 3 years ago, so why was he surprised that it had gone rancid ?  That's right, he's an unfunny idiot.

Agreed with @GRChereck -- why did Carol even give a shit about Gail and Todd ?  It's none of Carol's business.

January Jones did some of her best acting as a practically comatose, sweaty Melissa.

As mentioned upthread, the kid added absolutely nothing to this show.

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked the episode too. Tandy trying too hard got old quick, as it does these days, but I liked little Jasper.  Of course the kid is going to be extremely maladjusted living on his own for 3 years eating nothing but candy, but the choosing Erica part was great (best of 49!) and the end was sweet with him cradling Gary.  

And I did like Tandy's line about adding rules to the game after it started, because he was trying to bribe the kid with cigarettes.  I also loved sweaty, comatose Melissa smiling and nodding a little when it's revealed Tandy was bribing Jasper with smokes.  Even in that state she still calls BS on the Tandy-man.  

Edited by HotRats2112
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, sarahthenerd said:

I liked this episode. The bit with the cigarettes was funny, and thank God Erica finally has something to do.

Agreed about Erica, and I hope the show finally gives her a break; she may even bring some positive development (or at least more interesting responses) out of the kid that Tandy's desperate-to-please antics certainly couldn't. 

And I guess it sort of makes sense that Tandy's paternal instinct would lean towards trying to be the "fun," permissive parent (including resorting to bribes to encourage better behavior)... In the coming episodes, I'd like to see more of Erica's approach and what the kid brings out of her.

4 hours ago, HotRats2112 said:

Tandy trying too hard got old quick, as it does these days, but I liked little Jasper.  Of course the kid is going to be extremely maladjusted living on his own for 3 years eating nothing but candy, but the choosing Erica part was great (best of 49!) and the end was sweet with him cradling Gary.

Yeah, while I think the introduction of a child character could've been handled better -- especially since he not only spent the last few years on his own with no older people to do anything for him or tell him what to do, he also would've been all the more traumatized by his loved ones dying -- I'm not totally ready to write Jasper off. Like I said, having him paired with Erica could be a great way to develop both characters. :)

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 2

I said last week that the episode suffered from the serialization, and I think this week was the fall out from that. You could have combined most of the story of the past two weeks together into a single episode and the pacing would have been much better for it. It's not a stretch for us to believe that the kid would be anti-social and maladjusted, we didn't need two extended segments in as many weeks to drive the point home.

That said, the episodes have done a lot for Erica's character. And show that she is probably ready to have the child, if it ever comes to that. Gail has been kicking ass too, but having Carol go through the extended accusatory segment also felt like it dragged.

I hope we're setting up a good finale. I miss Lewis. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

You could have combined most of the story of the past two weeks together into a single episode and the pacing would have been much better for it. It's not a stretch for us to believe that the kid would be anti-social and maladjusted, we didn't need two extended segments in as many weeks to drive the point home.

I think you nailed it; while I thought this episode was definitely an improvement over last week's (as far as plotting goes), it could've been stronger with some tightening. :\ (It didn't help that Carol's plot was kind of a waste -- as awesome as Gail's response was, Carol's time probably would've been better spent with her and Tandy handling Jasper together than simply repeating her plot from 2x12, "Valhalla.")

• Love 1

If we are voting, I would like to vote to have Tandy killed next.  I literally hate him and have never liked him.  Just think where the show could have gone without that character.  He is not funny.

• Love 4

I think this is the first ep I was completely disappointed by. For one thing, I was hoping the child would be Albert Tsai. Oh well. Whoever the actor is playing Jaspar doesn't impress me. A couple of times I thought he was close to breaking or smiling. I wonder if he'll continue to be a mute. Character-wise, that would make sense, what with all the trauma he's certainly been thru, esp as a child. I just wish the show had cast a better actor. Maybe I'm being too critical. After all, he has had much to do yet.

Carol getting bent out of shape over Todd and Gail seemed like just an episode filler. 

I guess there were a couple of things I liked:

- Melissa chuckling at Tandy's cigarette thing

- Carol saying, "Watching you like a hog [snort snort]"

- Gail playing Whip It on the accordian

• Love 2
(edited)

That sundae pool is gross, yuck! yes Carol mind your own business! Tandy is annoying in this episode, was that pizza home made? I thought Jasper will choose Melissa lol! When will Jasper talk?

Also, if Pamela is wandering around Cali and she saw that plane explosion, she might meet with the gang soon.

Edited by piequinn35
1 minute ago, piequinn35 said:

was that pizza home made?

I;m pretty confused about what food is still available to them.  It would also make a lot of sense for Carol to devote her energy to a giant vegetable garden, assuming seeds are available.  Don't she and Erica need fresh food during their pregnancies?  Won't the babies, eventually?  What kind of protein do they have?  Shouldn't they try to grow beans?  Even if their electricity fails them at some point or they need to move, dried beans would last a very long time.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, GRChereck said:

When they first moved into the office building (3x5, "The Power of Power"), the found a stash of frozen pizzas (and even sang a little song about it). :D

You're right!

The garden still makes sense-they seem to have plenty of time and the pizza won't last forever.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Whoever the actor is playing Jaspar doesn't impress me

Keith L. Williams. I enjoyed his one episode appearance in the gone-too-soon Selfie, but I agree that he didn't have much of a presence here. I'm hoping that was just a combination of him being mute/traumatized and Tandy going overboard trying to bond with him, and that he'll have more to do in future episodes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I'm hoping that was just a combination of him being mute/traumatized and Tandy going overboard trying to bond with him, and that he'll have more to do in future episodes.

Same here. :\ 

20 hours ago, possibilities said:

How old is the kid? He looks really young to me, like if it's 5 years post-virus, he'd have been alone since pre-school?

To me, he looked about 11 or 12, in which case he probably would've been 6 or 7 around the time The Virus hit. 

• Love 1
On 4/3/2017 at 1:35 PM, jumper sage said:

If we are voting, I would like to vote to have Tandy killed next.  I literally hate him and have never liked him.  Just think where the show could have gone without that character.  He is not funny.

I agree.  He's just not funny, and he's gotten so stupid it's ridiculous.  They should have killed him off instead of Lewis.  I'd also like to see them start thinking about the future.  They've had long enough to start farming and actively hunting for other survivors.

• Love 3

They might as well have called the kid Cousin Oliver. What a boring episode.

You beat me to it. Adding a kid to a show is never the answer, folks. In fact it's usually the moment when you realize they've run out of ideas. And I'm sorry but this kid is just weird looking. He actually does look like a Benjamin Button. 

• Love 2

I was actually really happy when I saw the actor playing Jasper. I enjoyed him in Selfie and Teachers. 

They really dialed up the annoying behavior of both Tandy and Carol this week. 

I said last week that the episode suffered from the serialization, and I think this week was the fall out from that. You could have combined most of the story of the past two weeks together into a single episode and the pacing would have been much better for it. It's not a stretch for us to believe that the kid would be anti-social and maladjusted, we didn't need two extended segments in as many weeks to drive the point home.

Yes. The pacing has been off for a few episodes now.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2017 at 11:02 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm sorry but this kid is just weird looking. He actually does look like a Benjamin Button.

He's a cute kid in my opinion. Not sure what is weird looking about him. Maybe once he speaks we can decide how we feel about him. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

I totally thought the kid would turn out to be a girl. As in, that would be his (her) first statement, "I'm a girl, dumbass!" 

I would love that, but I honestly don't give this show that much credit. It would be fun to be proven wrong.

Not a great episode.  The show has definitely been on a downward trajectory lately.  But it's weird: I feel like it's probably got me hooked for the duration--and I'm notorious for being willing to cut bait on shows, especially comedies (among those I've watched 30-50 episodes of before getting tired of them and dumping them: Veep, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and Curb Your Enthusiasm).  This one, I just have too much of a curiosity about somehow, and it's only about four hours of content a year, so...yeah.

(What a rave review, eh?  But they got my eyeballs regardless.)

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm with you on this. 

Since the beginning of the show I watch to see what will happen when the're is really notting happening.  But the habit is there, so...

I feel like I am watching a bunch of children playing together while the adults who were on the show got killed one way or another.

Who cut the kid's hair in the past four years? You'd think it'd be waist length by now. And how are his clothes not destroyed? Is he that smart that he was able to get by on his own for so long?

It seems that the kid is suffering from severe PTSD from the way he's behaving. or he was a disabled child to begin with - he reminds me of my non-verbal autistic son somehow....

• Love 1

Wow. Tandy used ABA therapy on Jasper. He used the wrong reinforcers (cigs), but he's better at this parenting thing than he thinks. I did feel very sorry for him. He means well but doesnt know what he's doing.... I'm starting to think he may be high-functioning autistic himself LOL.

Awww jasper chose Erica.

ha! I legit cried at the end scene. and then i laughed out loud.