Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media: What's Up With Her?

Culture Check: How can we come up with catchy or snarky topic titles and still remember the human behind the title? 

Please review the Primetimer Guidelines.

• Start Topic

I have no idea what happened to her in her past, but having an army of followers to back her every word has turned all of them into raging bullies--precisely what she claims to be against.

I've seen this happen to a few people who were teased growing up--they become emboldened and do the same thing to others like it's some kind of payback. It's not right to bully others just because one has been bullied themselves, it's just perpetuating a circle of hate. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Me from ME said:

It's possible her psychic hunger (not quite measuring up while at home)  resulted in promiscuity and it was at  that time she was sexually abused which resulted in her present state.

"It's possible her psychic hunger (not quite measuring up while at home) COULD HAVE LEAD TO promiscuity WHICH COULD HAVE LEAD TO sexual abuse which WOULD VERY PROBABLY result in her present state."

FTFY

How one uses words really matters, especially when used in speculation. You DON'T know if she was promiscuous and you DON'T know if she was sexually abused.

• Love 1

You DON'T know if she was promiscuous and you DON'T know if she was sexually abused.

Yes I am aware that speculation is a reckless path. However, didn't one of her friends refer to her as "a vixen" in high school  which some others defined as a certain pattern of behavior? And, I have not entered into the speculation whether she was sexually abused  I just offered another way of thinking about her current highly sexualized behavior with various platonic friends e.g. lewd jokes with Babs, forced cuddling...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

I think we can say for sure that Whitney likes sexual attention, but I don't think you can say for sure she is/was promiscuous.

Tal said she was considered "evolved sexually" in high school, which was his euphemism for her being known for putting out to anyone, any time.

• Love 7

Here on Ptv, I think we are all about speculation, based on her talk/actions on the show, in her book, and social media, etc. 

We can say whatever we think. 

No one is wrong or right.

It's just speculation (not a professional therapist's diagnosis),  which gives me other perspectives about why the fuck Twit acts the way she does, AND I really enjoy the  funny, witty snark here, which makes me laugh.  

Edited by Tosia
Lighten up and enjoy the snark--even if you don't agree with it.
  • Love 8
On 8/13/2017 at 8:42 PM, qqererer said:

I'm going to disagree.  If that behaviour were to be seen in men, it would just be considered just regular creepy dude behaviour due to the 'male sex drive'.  I don't understand why women can't be just as creepy as dudes without having some sort of abuse in the past.

Whitney has obsessions about EVERYTHING.  Nobody is required to be abused to behave the way that she does.

In her book she already had obsessions about CHOCOLATE MILK as a CHILD.

I'm not a therapist, but it doesn't make sense to get abused, then pack on 250lbs to protect one self, then seek more attention for male gaze and/or public attention through her social media activities pre MBFFL.

Simplicity being what it is, I think it's better to assume that she loves sex, food, attention, and drama absent from any form of trauma.

You'd be surprised, often those "creepy" dudes have been sexually abused too. 

My education is as a therapist, and although that doesn't automatically make me an expert, it does mean I know that obesity and promiscuity can be associated with sexual abuse as a child, and it doesn't confine itself to women by any means.  I have a male friend that is obese and after 20 years of knowing him he came clean about his sexual abuse as a child, something I suspected for a long time.  BTW, he was also sexually promiscuous to the point of being a "sexaholic", and it ruined his relationship with my best friend.  When I was young he was always sexually provocative with me but I managed to avoid him that way. 

I also know first hand of a court case involving a serial abuser of both boys and girls that went on for many years.  An amazing number of his victims grew up to be obese and promiscuous, and all had some pretty dysfunctional relationship histories.

Of course applying this to Whitney is just speculation but that's what we do here on this board.  Who knows what her real story is?

I found this article on the subject interesting:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/sexual-abuse-victims-obesity/420186/

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

You'd be surprised, often those "creepy" dudes have been sexually abused too. 

My education is as a therapist, and although that doesn't automatically make me an expert, it does mean I know that obesity and promiscuity can be associated with sexual abuse as a child, and it doesn't confine itself to women by any means.  I have a male friend that is obese and after 20 years of knowing him he came clean about his sexual abuse as a child, something I suspected for a long time.  BTW, he was also sexually promiscuous to the point of being a "sexaholic", and it ruined his relationship with my best friend.  When I was young he was always sexually provocative with me but I managed to avoid him that way. 

I also know first hand of a court case involving a serial abuser of both boys and girls that went on for many years.  An amazing number of his victims grew up to be obese and promiscuous, and all had some pretty dysfunctional relationship histories.

Of course applying this to Whitney is just speculation but that's what we do here on this board.  Who knows what her real story is?

I found this article on the subject interesting:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/12/sexual-abuse-victims-obesity/420186/

Thank you for your insights & for the informative article you provided.

I guess the key reason I don't believe Twit was molested as a child is that that has never been a story arc on MBFFL. Given some of the outrageous crap she & the producers have come up with -- lesbian attraction, Mr Fit wanting her to tour with him, etc. -- I can't believe they would ignore this if it were an actual event in Twit's early life. And why wouldn't it also get a mention, along with PCOS, in her TED-X & other talks? She constantly interjects sexual references into all her conversations. Why would she avoid mentioning childhood molestation if it had happened to her?

• Love 1

Why would she avoid mentioning childhood molestation if it had happened to her?

it stands to reason she would have brought it up if it were true

I absolutely agree considering that TLC has used possible child molestation in the story arcs of several people on My 600lb Life. I was leaning toward something happening at college that caused her to be very large. (I know she said she stopped purging because she didn't want to limit the effectiveness of her birth control pills. So she was sexually active during that time.)

• Love 2

I have noticed on this show they really shy away from any mention of Whitney's childhood/teen years, except to say she "used to be thin," then gained 100 lb in her first year of college because PCOS. The very sudden onset of *that much* weight gain tells me there was more going on than PCOS. Maybe she was just miserable in general, maybe there was friend drama, or maybe (yes, MAYBE) there was some sort of abuse. It is reasonable to speculate on the real reasons for her weight gain, because we all know for a fact it wasn't just PCOS.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Dot said:

I guess the key reason I don't believe Twit was molested as a child is that that has never been a story arc on MBFFL. Given some of the outrageous crap she & the producers have come up with -- lesbian attraction, Mr Fit wanting her to tour with him, etc. -- I can't believe they would ignore this if it were an actual event in Twit's early life. And why wouldn't it also get a mention, along with PCOS, in her TED-X & other talks? She constantly interjects sexual references into all her conversations. Why would she avoid mentioning childhood molestation if it had happened to her?

Oh I could understand it very easily - If the abuser was a close relative or friend of the family there's NO WAY she would talk about that on TV.  Plus it may be something she's never shared with her own family so as not to "hurt" them or "out" the abuser.  Often victims of childhood abuse don't tell anyone and keep it inside for decades before coming out with it, if ever, because they often harbor guilt about it or think their families will think they're to blame.  It's not even rational but that's how a lot of them feel.  I've known of cases where the victims themselves don't even remember the abuse until later in life if it was that traumatic or happened when they were that young that they "buried" the memory.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I have noticed on this show they really shy away from any mention of Whitney's childhood/teen years, except to say she "used to be thin," then gained 100 lb in her first year of college because PCOS. The very sudden onset of *that much* weight gain tells me there was more going on than PCOS. Maybe she was just miserable in general, maybe there was friend drama, or maybe (yes, MAYBE) there was some sort of abuse. It is reasonable to speculate on the real reasons for her weight gain, because we all know for a fact it wasn't just PCOS.

Now that you mention it, it could even have been rape.  I knew a woman that was raped as a teenager and it messed up her adult life in many ways.  After that she became very wary of men and her reticence to be sexual messed up her marriage.  But I've heard of cases where the opposite happens and people become very promiscuous.  It's actually pretty common. I think it depends on their personality.  Being a narcissistic ultra-extrovert, Whitney might be more the type of person to become promiscuous and eat to "medicate" her trauma.  In my experience introverts turn inward with things like this and uber-extroverts turn outward.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Me from ME said:

I absolutely agree considering that TLC has used possible child molestation in the story arcs of several people on My 600lb Life. I was leaning toward something happening at college that caused her to be very large. (I know she said she stopped purging because she didn't want to limit the effectiveness of her birth control pills. The "signal to noise" ratio does seem to swing wildly here; some days it seems like every question is a good one and most of the answers are helpful. Other days, not so much... she was sexually active during that time.)

I don't buy that one. As a former anorexic who sometimes purged, everyone with an ed knows you take medication long before eating anything, let alone purge it. Let the medication get absorbed and go from there, unless she was too dim to figure that out. 

If anything did happen to her during those years, maybe it's something she can't stomach admitting. I know that's a long shot given she seems to share EVERYTHING, but perhaps it's not that simple. 

I dunno, but given all she's dealt with you'd hope empathy would have developed by now versus the self-absorbed ego-maniac we're shown. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

It is reasonable to speculate on the real reasons for her weight gain, because we all know for a fact it wasn't just PCOS.

No need for speculation for me. It's cuz she puts way too much pie in her piehole, along with Starbucks with extra heavy cream, ranch dressing on her iceberg lettuce, pasta, and -- yes -- even CAKE no matter what she claims.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Dot said:

No need for speculation for me. It's cuz she puts way too much pie in her piehole, along with Starbucks with extra heavy cream, ranch dressing on her iceberg lettuce, pasta, and -- yes -- even CAKE no matter what she claims.

Definitely! I just wonder what made her start eating so much, and what makes her in such denial about how much she is eating. It seems like most fat women I know are well aware that they overeat, even if they don't necessarily want to do anything about it.

• Love 3

Sexual abuse is not fabulous. 

Maybe it's good that Twit hasn't gone there, Iif it's true or not,  cuz imagine her loyal minions multiplying with so msny with their sad stories about abuse!!!!  

Unfortunately, horribly, there's alot of rape and child abuse going on. I don't want Twit to be a poster child. Let her day PCOS  was the issue and go away. 

When I saw Roxane Gay, who over- ate due to a gang rape, her spokesperson stayed that Roxane could not/would not hear abuse stories cuz its just too much, and she had to deal worth her own issues. 

6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Definitely! I just wonder what made her start eating so much, and what makes her in such denial about how much she is eating. It seems like most fat women I know are well aware that they overeat, even if they don't necessarily want to do anything about it.

The Book of Whitney: Chapter 2 Verse 1

Oh, honey, that’s not chocolate milk.” My mother tapped her long red nails
against the gallon of chocolate milk at which I was pointing. “That’s just
white milk in a brown container.”
I may have been only five, but I knew that my mother, who was now pushing the
grocery cart past the milk—the chocolate milk—and shooting me a backward
sympathetic glance, was a liar. She desperately needed an excuse to explain why I
couldn’t have my favorite drink, when the truth was that my pediatrician had
concerns about my weight and had instructed my mother to restrict my chocolate
milk and ice cream intake.

Further on in the chapter she labels THIS MOMENT as her introduction to "Diet Culture".  JFC just because you can't have dessert all day every day doesn't make it diet culture.

If she became an overeater and a sexual vixen because of abuse or trauma, then it happened before she was age 5.  If she was abused or suffered trauma after the age of 5, then she used sex and food as medication.

Many abuse survivors use destructive behaviours to self medicate, but that doesn't mean that all people that have destructive behaviours are survivors of abuse.

I'd just like to think that Whitney is a really lazy self absorbed person.  Either through nature, or nurture, and not through any trauma. Absent of any real proof, as they say in acting, just read the lines on the page for what it is.

But yeah, it's kinda fun to speculate.  But it's also important to keep it not r/fatpersonhate.

It's only fun when we go high when she #cantgetlow and can see the hypocrisy for what it is.

Edited by qqererer
Chapter 2 Verse 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Dot said:
12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

It is reasonable to speculate on the real reasons for her weight gain, because we all know for a fact it wasn't just PCOS.

1 hour ago, qqererer said:

The Book of Whitney: Chapter 2 Verse 1

Oh, honey, that’s not chocolate milk.” My mother tapped her long red nails
against the gallon of chocolate milk at which I was pointing. “That’s just
white milk in a brown container.”
I may have been only five, but I knew that my mother, who was now pushing the
grocery cart past the milk—the chocolate milk—and shooting me a backward
sympathetic glance, was a liar. She desperately needed an excuse to explain why I
couldn’t have my favorite drink, when the truth was that my pediatrician had
concerns about my weight and had instructed my mother to restrict my chocolate
milk and ice cream intake.

Further on in the chapter she labels THIS MOMENT as her introduction to "Diet Culture".  JFC just because you can't have dessert all day every day doesn't make it diet culture.

I think PCOS became a convenient target to explain her weight gain. I suspect that growing up, Babs laid down the law about Twit's weight. For all that they give into her, Babs and Glenn have both brought up her weight and diet before on camera. I'm sure it came up while she was growing up, even if it was just explaining away why she couldn't have all the ice cream and chocolate milk she wanted. When she went off to college, that was no longer there. All of a sudden, she was no longer at home to be kept in check by Babs and could access her own food choices without supervision, she gained the "Freshman 15" or more. I've seen it happen before. I've seen it start individuals down the path of eating disorders because the weight had crept on. With Twit, although she says she had an eating disorder, I don't know how much veracity I place in that, especially since it doesn't seem from her statements, that her bulimia matches a lot of other bulimics' life stories (like the medication knowledge mentioned above) and since she seems to have such a histrionic personality. I think that PCOS was easy to blame without taking any personal responsibility. We've seen before that when possible, it's never Twit's fault. She's not heavy because she eats too much, she's heavy because she's got PCOS. She didn't send Will the pictures of her meals because she was so busy, not because she had no interest in actually doing the hard work. She ran out of the snacks Will told her to get so she was justified in getting the Starbucks because she was so busy and she did so good only eating half of it. She lost the dance battle because a judge threw the competition, not because her choreography was terrible.

PCOS is just the current excuse. I think she also leans on it because it's "a medical issue" and not "a personal responsibility issue" with Babs and Glenn. I've been there and done that, but at some point, she's going to have to take personal responsibility if she wants to have long term weight loss. But now, she's seeming to even dismiss that as a possibility since she wants to be fat and never lose another pound.

• Love 7
On 8/14/2017 at 10:15 PM, Dot said:

The producers would ignore it because there is nothing "fabulous" about the subject. And I'm sure Whitney has no interest in bringing it up outside a therapists office. (if she goes) The original idea of the show was NOT to show a tearful sorry wounded soul, but a fabulous strong active woman who "happens" to be big and fat.

The other "outrageous" stories like maybe being a lesbian are kinda in fashion now. No body shaming/size acceptance also in fashion. Maybe even eating disorder recovery is in fashion now (?????) Not that these arcs are even outrageous. Whatever.

I still think IF there was sex abuse it remains the elephant in the room. (Pun intended? NO! that would be body shaming!)

• Love 3
On 8/15/2017 at 6:44 AM, ClareWalks said:

Whitney apparently posted this on FB late last night, and of course all of her followers are commenting that they are siding with Golden Corral. WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED

20883007_10103105130016648_6484543907089997511_n.jpg

The Nit-Whits are NOT happy with her post. Their attitude is best expressed by one of them: "Stick to your fat shtick. . . shut up and dance."

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Dot said:

The Nit-Whits are NOT happy with her post. Their attitude is best expressed by one of them: "Stick to your fat shtick. . . shut up and dance."

Did she delete it? I can't see the post. Was it on IG?

EDHIT- Nevermind- found it on IG

Edited by yogi2014L
17 hours ago, Me from ME said:

For every study there is one to contradict it but I wonder what the nit-whits would say if they knew about this: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/fat-but-medically-fit-is-a-myth-say-medical-researchers-a3612181.html

It's been a long time since I had a statistics refresher, so can someone help me with this? I'm reading it as follows: of the "half a million" subjects, they found "7,647 of them...suffered coronary heart disease incidents..." So in other words, about 1.5% of them? I must be interpreting this incorrectly somehow because that doesn't seem statistically significant to me. 

17 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

It's been a long time since I had a statistics refresher, so can someone help me with this? I'm reading it as follows: of the "half a million" subjects, they found "7,647 of them...suffered coronary heart disease incidents..." So in other words, about 1.5% of them? I must be interpreting this incorrectly somehow because that doesn't seem statistically significant to me. 

I think you're close.

Journalist never get the nuances of scientific studies correct, so the description in that article is really not helpful.

But I think they're saying that researchers looked at records from 500,000 and divided them up into a group that was "metabolically healthy" or "metabolically unhealthy".  

That total 500,000 group experienced 7,647 "coronary disease incidents".  

When they compared how many of those 7,647 were in the "metabolically health" group versus how many were in the "metabolically unhealthy" group, they found the "unhealthy" group had "more than double the risk".

So just dividing 7,647 by 500,000 would not be correct.  We'd have to know how many people fell into each group.  

Let's assume the 500,000 population was divided 50-50 between "healthy" and "unhealthy", and that all of the "coronary disease incidents" occurred in the "unhealthy" group.  That would still only be 3.0% of those 250,000.

Without seeing the actual study, I think this description in the newspaper just doesn't make sense.

Ultimately, relevant to MBFFL, while I think there may be something to the fact that a certain level of overweight-ness or obesity can be consistent with being "fit", or at least can be healthier than the risks of severe yo-yo dieting and weight loss/gain, that would not apply to Whitney, who is off the charts in terms of her obesity.  

• Love 1

Although I do love the London Evening Standard newspaper because it is free to commuters and because their site is easily accessible so I can keep tabs on my cousins across the pond,  it sometimes has rather poorly written articles. e.g. one of the markers for metabolic syndrome was referred to as low cholesterol rather than low HDL cholesterol. So it is understandable that you would draw the conclusion that the number cited is not statistically significant.

As I was looking for the original research paper I noticed that other news outlets have provided summaries of the study.

I read the study as having  followed a large number of people over a 12 year period and that it included normal weight persons deemed healthy by several biological markers, normal weight persons deemed unhealthy by the same measures as well as overweight persons deemed both healthy as well as unhealthy. Incidentally, it was a study of Cancer and Nutrition not just the effect of weight on coronary health.  Now, keeping in mind the relatively low numbers of overweight/obese persons who do not have hypertension, hypertriglyceridemia, hyperglycemia or acceptable levels of HDL cholesterol that would be a much smaller pool (although the abstract does not give the actual number but rather percentages.)

So, normal weight persons deemed to be unhealthy were diagnosed with coronary heart disease during the study period and overweight persons who were considered healthy did so as well.

note: (HR abbreviation for hazard ratios and CI is abbreviation for  confidence intervals)

From the abstract:

Compared with metabolically healthy normal weight people (reference), HRs were 2.15 (95% CI: 1.79; 2.57) for unhealthy normal weight, 2.33 (1.97; 2.76) for unhealthy overweight, and 2.54 (2.21; 2.92) for unhealthy obese people. Compared with the reference group, HRs were 1.26 (1.14; 1.40) and 1.28 (1.03; 1.58) for metabolically healthy overweight and obese people, respectively. These results were robust to various sensitivity analyses.

Conclusion

Irrespective of BMI, metabolically unhealthy individuals had higher CHD risk than their healthy counterparts. Conversely, irrespective of metabolic health, overweight and obese people had higher CHD risk than lean people. These findings challenge the concept of ‘metabolically healthy obesity’, encouraging population-wide strategies to tackle obesity.

I see that Alapaki answered in a more clear and concise manner while I was looking for the original research paper. 

Since we all know that Whitney lurks here, I would like to be the 1st person to say this. ..Whitney! Don't get any big ideas and go blaming your Fat on Sexual abuse, just because we are speculating on it. We all know you have run out of excuses, don't sink that low please. Try personal responsibility.

Edited by Nancypants
  • Love 6

I don't know why I'm so put off by people that fully extend their tongue when they put food into their mouths.

It's like they're a bunch of baby chicks opening up their yams as wide as possible so they get fed first.

• Love 4

I don't know why I'm so put off by people that fully extend their tongue when they put food into their mouths.

Agreed! And I will raise you one...I am put off by people who stick out their tongues in public. Especially if they wrinkle their nose and think they look cute. Yeah, our girl definitely did that. And please don't ask which episode since I erase them but it was this season. At the time I had a feeling she had done it quite a few times when she was young as a way to melt certain peoples hearts.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, qqererer said:

It's like they're a bunch of baby chicks opening up their yams as wide as possible so they get fed first.

I'm totally baffled by it. What purpose does it serve? I've tried to recreate it since first noticing it (via awful Katie on Vanderpump) to see how it might enhance the business of eating, and I just don't get it.

• Love 2

I noticed a lot of folks do it on My 600-LB Life too. I would hate to think that it's a "morbidly obese people thing," but I haven't taken particular notice of any other demographic doing it so frequently. It's almost like Whitney thinks her tongue won't fit in there with all the food she wants to shove in.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I noticed a lot of folks do it on My 600-LB Life too. I would hate to think that it's a "morbidly obese people thing," but I haven't taken particular notice of any other demographic doing it so frequently. It's almost like Whitney thinks her tongue won't fit in there with all the food she wants to shove in.

It's like watching an episode of the Osbornes, or an Maori haka for obesity.

Edited by qqererer
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Dot said:

OK, I don't get it -- explicate, pls!

haka

Just because I love haka, 2 more:

School boys honoring their teacher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt6GRghrmaU

Father welcoming his Returned Missionary daughter (Mormon) back home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVcAyFiFeE0.  There are many Pacific Islanders who are Mormon and there is a big Polynesian Culture Center sponsored by the Church at BYU Hawaii. 

I used to show haka videos when I taught the class on teams in my management course.  Eye-opening for a bunch of peeps in the Midwest. : )

Edited by aliya
added stuff
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

For someone who claims she doesn't like cake, she sure shovels it in. 

Actually I kind of believe her. I don't like cake either, it doesn't mean I don't eat it when you put it in front of me but if you told me I could eat anything one day and have the calories not matter the last thing on my mind to eat would be cake or really any desert.

But I think Whit has a compulsive need to consume sugar and fat and cake will work if it is there. It's the same thing with her and her coffees, what she is drinking is not coffee, it's coffee flavored sugar, chocolate and heavy cream that she thinks is somehow more socially acceptable. I bet if you gave her the option of either a glass of black coffee or a glass of just cream, chocolate and sugar and told her no one would ever know which one she took she drank it wouldn't be the black coffee.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, John M said:

Actually I kind of believe her. I don't like cake either, it doesn't mean I don't eat it when you put it in front of me but if you told me I could eat anything one day and have the calories not matter the last thing on my mind to eat would be cake or really any desert.

But I think Whit has a compulsive need to consume sugar and fat and cake will work if it is there. It's the same thing with her and her coffees, what she is drinking is not coffee, it's coffee flavored sugar, chocolate and heavy cream that she thinks is somehow more socially acceptable. I bet if you gave her the option of either a glass of black coffee or a glass of just cream, chocolate and sugar and told her no one would ever know which one she took she drank it wouldn't be the black coffee.

If cake has the stuff she likes, she likes cake. 

• Love 1