Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Liz & Michael

Vyk
  • Start Topic

Great improvement!  Last to first thanks to being on the third flight, picking the right Detour for them, and Liz killing the Roadblock!  Taking a cab to the Pit Stop rather than running was also smart, as it gave them edge they needed over Vanck & Ashton.

Well done, guys!  And good on you, Michael, for showing a much more pleasant mood.

• Love 3

I wonder why Liz needed Michael to carry her backpack to the mat -- he's probably stronger, but she's probably faster. Could she have been that wiped from the window cleaning task? (I've never rappelled, so I don't know.)

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Chyna said:

I wonder why Liz needed Michael to carry her backpack to the mat -- he's probably stronger, but she's probably faster. Could she have been that wiped from the window cleaning task? (I've never rappelled, so I don't know.)

I think it's because the task seemed to require a lot of upper body strength, so I imagine her arms were sore afterward. Though why others didn't need their partners to carry their bags, your guess is as good as mine. It could be that she wanted to get to the mat faster and she felt like her backpack would slow her down. 

• Love 4

Still holding it strongly.  Michael's carpenter skills really helped them at the Build It Detour, and when they missed one piece, Liz didn't panic, instead just buckling down to find it.  Michael also delivered very easily at the Roadblock, got out of it fast, and landed their team their second win in a row.  Nice work after such a weak start!  They may have moved into the new team to beat!

• Love 2

I would not have predicted that this team would do so well, after the way they performed (and got pretty defeated about it) on the first leg.  They're really enjoyable to watch so I'm glad to see them doing well. (And when I saw Joey take a live chicken and declare it "halal," I figured that would set them back so Michael could pull ahead. A butcher certainly wouldn't make that mistake!)

• Love 3

I'll be glad when the argument shown in the pre-season previews is finally aired so I know whether they move past it or disintegrate.  I like the team, so I'm hoping for the former.  

• Love 1

I really like this team. As a small, unathletic woman, I probably would have been eyeing up Michael as my partner from the outset. I'd want someone big and strong to balance out the fact that I'm not, but I wouldn't want a Matt or a Redmond because I think my lack of athleticism would hold the team back in the sporty challenges and make them resent me. I'd want the lack of footracing ability to be on both of us, not just me.

They seem to have found their groove pretty quickly and their profiles both indicate an excitement about the travel aspect of the race, so I think they're probably very well-matched in terms of keeping each other company. And given that they seem to have figured out how to work together, I think all the things that make them an unlikely pairing are actually going to work in their favor: complementary skills, life experiences, and so forth.

Edited by Hera
  • Love 1

I understand Michael's initial frustration with Liz because she misspoke and said north and didn't articulate that it wasn't magic but she saw the buildings and how they were shown in the map but after he realized his mistake and apologized to her at the building is thought he got it. But nope. He hit a car, told her to go into a parking garage, ignored the advice about walking up the hill etc. But when he was on the mat saying that she didn't listen while she acknowledged her mistakes even though she was right entirely on this Norway leg.

Michael figuring out the boxes, getting the ladle made etc. Awesome listening to his partner, not so much and being a petulant asshat when things are not going well not a good look.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I understand Michael's initial frustration with Liz because she misspoke and said north and didn't articulate that it wasn't magic but she saw the buildings and how they were shown in the map but after he realized his mistake and apologized to her at the building is thought he got it. But nope. He hit a car, told her to go into a parking garage, ignored the advice about walking up the hill etc. But when he was on the mat saying that she didn't listen while she acknowledged her mistakes even though she was right entirely on this Norway leg.

Michael figuring out the boxes, getting the ladle made etc. Awesome listening to his partner, not so much and being a petulant asshat when things are not going well not a good look.

right -   His condescending sarcasm really got to me.  "I listen to you, you're right, you're always right"  said in a sarcastic tone, is just another way to tell her to shut up.  

With the map, she was matching the pictures on the map to the landmarks she saw in order to be oriented.  IT made sense to me, he needed to shut up and let her use that process to get her bearings. 

• Love 4

Yeah, as I said in the episode thread, I think he was being pouty because they weren't doing the detour he wanted to do. I also think he was aware that Liz was way more competent on this leg than he was and didn't like being shown up by someone over a decade younger than he is. I'm hoping he pulls it together, because a) I really enjoyed both of them before all of this happened and want to go back to that and b) Liz deserves better.

• Love 3

I'm going to give Michael the benefit of the doubt here, and maybe chalk this up to killer fatigue setting in.  He's been really supportive of Liz at all other times.  I watched an "extra" clip (Amazing Race youtube channel) where she's having a hard time eating the salted fish.  (She's not being a total crybaby about it like Brooke.)  And he's being super supportive, where it could have been a "come on!  it's just fish!" type of response.  Afterwards, in the car, he was still supportive, giving lots of positive feedback.  And he was a total cheerleader when she was climbing the pallet mountain.  I see him in a big brother role with her, and the end of the episode seemed to devolve into a classic (adult) sibling squabble.  She was right on the map issue.  But he was also right that they could have driven up the hill to the pit stop - he just made the mistake of trying to do so without directions.  I'm not going to make any judgment until next week.

Also, I'm surprised he wanted to do the kayak.  They kept rolling the canoe/long boat in the first challenge.  It seems that wasn't their strong suit.

• Love 5
(edited)

Their winning streak ended, but they still ran a strong, solid leg.  Michael helped them not take so long with the Lock Detour by figuring out the secret compartments being an element of the task, and he killed the Roadblock with his physical skills.

If they'd figured out the Lock Detour a bit faster, they might've been the only team on their ferry and had a comfortable lead in going to the Roadblock and won their third leg because of it.  But third place isn't bad.

Was really shocked to see them collapse so utterly in the second episode, though, after doing so well together on the last three legs.  They had navigation problems on the way to the lighthouse, they didn't take the easier Troll Detour even after Michael thought they should since they stumbled upon it (just because Liz didn't want to), they had a hard time navigating through the Trolls Detour because neither could read a map for beans, they had an accident that could've doomed them, and then, they try that parking garage in the hopes of using an elevator that just doesn't get them to where they're hoping.

A complete, utter implosion, and they were lucky that this was a "to be continued" leg.

It'll be interesting to see if they can get back into it, but they'd better hope they can with another Double U-Turn coming up.

Edited by Vyk
On 4/21/2017 at 1:49 PM, Hera said:

I think he was being pouty because they weren't doing the detour he wanted to do.

Yeah, and I don't blame Liz, who probably didn't enjoy him rolling the boat in the first challenge, as chaifan points out they did.  Just him saying "I know how to kayak!" is not necessarily more convincing than her soggy memory!

• Love 1

I really hope this team pulls it together and apologizes after some time to breathe, because I want to keep liking them. They can be very competent, in a practical life-experience way, which I appreciate.

After rewatching the map scene, it seems to me that they were both sort of correct but were both explaining it terribly.

• Love 2

navigation is their problem in the first episode as well. not a good skill to lack in the race, but his useless pouting and nastiness was not only uncalled for but delayed them doing the task.  Apparently he is hung up on the man knowing everything. Woman just following even if it was a losing way of doing things.

• Love 2

Michael has "an IQ around 140" and doesn't know how to read a theme park map.

He is nice enough when they are doing well, but a total jackass when things go wrong.

22 hours ago, Chyna said:

I really hope this team pulls it together and apologizes after some time to breathe, because I want to keep liking them. They can be very competent, in a practical life-experience way, which I appreciate.

After rewatching the map scene, it seems to me that they were both sort of correct but were both explaining it terribly.

Michael never gave Liz a chance to explain.  He immediately started loudly mocking her and assumed she was trying to use the map as a compass. 

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 3

Shocked by the total meltdown of this team, as they did seem to work together and get along very well. I'm sure there were signs, but I completely overlooked them.  

Somehow I doubt that his "I'm done" meant he's dropping out - though you never know - or if it did, that Phil didn't Race Whisper him out of it. If they're still in it, I hope they get it together quickly. And with sincerity.

• Love 1

I blame dyssentery.  They fell in the not-so-sanitary looking water in Panama, which could have done the trick.  

Michael was being an ass, but it seemed like a failure of energy for politess rather than intentional assiness (ala Redmond). 

• Love 2

Glad to see them recover after what'd happened on the previous leg.  Michael rocked out the Roadblock by working with Tara, and he and Liz got the second release time.  I was disappointed that they decided to play Brooke & Scott's game and U-Turned the only moderately-threatening Vanck & Ashton rather than a more threatening team like Matt & Redmond.  They blew away their lead with another directional snafu in looking for the dock to the Grab a Hold Detour and lost three places.  But Liz made up some time by climbing well and fast at that Detour.

Fourth place isn't bad, and glad they're back on track.

Edited by Nalan
6 hours ago, holly4755 said:

well, they never tell us about dysentery, so who knows, I just find many of Michaels off screen remarks pretty pointed and nasty.  I wonder if his wife appreciated the break? 

I saw the clip about their car ride and how Mike obviously has the nerd-hate on Vanck.  First, he complains about how Vanck always is reading and thinking he knows more, yet somehow they are "back-biting"?  

And it is HILARIOUS how Mike tries to say that Vanck can't win without a U-turn and they will definitely outlast Vanck and Ashton.  Big words coming from someone that should have been eliminated in Norway if they didn't luck into a pseudo-NEL.

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
  • Love 7

Mike is such an asshole. In his bio he he's quoted as saying he hopes he makes his daughter proud.

That's a great example you're setting for her, Mike. Calling Vanck and Ashton "poor quality" and equating them to meat he'd never sell as a butcher.

Fuck. You.

Sorry but unless someone explains in an exit interview that Vanck was truly an asshole, I am just baffled at the vitriol being spewed his way. Because he likes to read? I don't fucking get it.

Did anyone stop to consider that maybe he's not neurotypical? Or maybe he's just a really awkward guy who isn't the most skilled in social interactions and what they perceive as him being a know it all is honestly him trying to prove his worth?

Their shit talking in the cab struck a nerve with me, and I'm honestly fucking done with most of these assholes after this episode. Liz too for that matter. She's no better than her gross partner. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Sorry but unless someone explains in an exit interview that Vanck was truly an asshole, I am just baffled at the vitriol being spewed his way. Because he likes to read? I don't fucking get it.

Naw...because he is "too calculated" and he is a "scrawny old chicken" and he has the "air of superiority" and has his head in a book and "acts like he knows something we don't".  Vanck tries to "over-calculate" everything and everything is a "competition".  Funny coming from Michael who just smack talked about how Vanck and Ashton suck and can't survive without a U-turn (and again rich coming from the team that couldn't survive without the pseudo-NEL).  Taking what they are saying and taking what Team Lolo said about Vanck and Ashton and how they researched stuff and were sharing information (which caused Team Lolo to quickly say they were the team they would give a favor to) my conclusion is Vanck did read a lot to try to learn stuff about the areas they were in or were going and were more than happy to share what he learned with other people.  Of course people like Liz and Michael thought he was trying to "act like he knew everything" or had an "air of superiority", yet...somehow him sharing information was him being "calculating" and "cutt-throat".  In other words, the problem wasn't what Vanck was doing, but their own feelings Vanck had some sort of negative agenda in sharing the information he provided, or wanted to "act superior".

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Naw...because he is "too calculated" and he is a "scrawny old chicken" and he has the "air of superiority" and has his head in a book and "acts like he knows something we don't".  Vanck tries to "over-calculate" everything and everything is a "competition".  Funny coming from Michael who just smack talked about how Vanck and Ashton suck and can't survive without a U-turn (and again rich coming from the team that couldn't survive without the pseudo-NEL).  Taking what they are saying and taking what Team Lolo said about Vanck and Ashton and how they researched stuff and were sharing information (which caused Team Lolo to quickly say they were the team they would give a favor to) my conclusion is Vanck did read a lot to try to learn stuff about the areas they were in or were going and were more than happy to share what he learned with other people.  Of course people like Liz and Michael thought he was trying to "act like he knew everything" or had an "air of superiority", yet...somehow him sharing information was him being "calculating" and "cutt-throat".  In other words, the problem wasn't what Vanck was doing, but their own feelings Vanck had some sort of negative agenda in sharing the information he provided, or wanted to "act superior".

Yeah, I know. I was just being facetious.

And I watched the vid but seeing it in words is even worse. Ugh. Again, shut up Mike and Liz.

I find it amusing that Mr. "I got a 160 IQ" thinks Vanck has an air of superiority about him. RME.

• Love 3
Just now, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Oh I know, I was just adding to it.

It's all good :)

You know, I don't think in all the years I've watched TAR that I've gotten this upset at a team so fast, but they were ugly this week. 

And to think I was rooting for them in the first episode.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

It's all good :)

You know, I don't think in all the years I've watched TAR that I've gotten this upset at a team so fast, but they were ugly this week. 

And to think I was rooting for them in the first episode.

Me too, I thought they were a good underdog story, someone other teams would under-estimate by not being generically from Central Casting.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can see very clearly why Michael didnt like having a boss.  He is remarkably self satisfied and unaware of his own limitations and weaknesses.  To hear him, after the leg he had in Norway, saying Vanck essentially wasnt likeable?   Smh.

Free Liz. 

Edited by fib
Added a thought
  • Love 1

I wanted to give Michael the benefit of the doubt last week, but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory this week either. It seems that it's easy for him to be pleasant when things are going well, but he gets whiny and yelly if anything goes awry at all. And his whole "how much do you love me?" BS was obnoxious, especially after his partner had climbed up the side of a cliff while he held the rope.

• Love 2

They actually didn't have that bad of a start to the leg.  They did as well as they could at the Sing It Detour and made it to the Roadblock in a decent spot.  But then, Liz blew that good spot away by not paying attention to the demo and allowed Brooke and London to pass her up.  I imagine that if she and Michael had taken the water taxi, they might've avoided last.

Now they have a Speed Bump with which they must contend.  But with a self-driving leg coming up and them being terrible at directions, I doubt they can overcome it.  And I'm betting that they also get U-Turned next week, which would only be the final nail in their coffin.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:43 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

How many times in a row will Michael have to come in dead last before he gets off my TV screen?  

Hopefully, in the next episode. Now, Liz is getting on my last nerve. If we are lucky the speed bump will be their undoing.

• Love 1

I was liking Michael for a while, but he's turning out to be a big crybaby. LoLo blows them off once, and *hours* later he's still whining about it? Let it go, man.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chyna said:

LoLo blows them off once, and *hours* later he's still whining about it? Let it go, man.

And at that point he knew he was ahead of them so it didn't even matter.

• Love 4

Hmm...so not only a U-Turn aided them in outlasting Vanck and Ashton (the irony I am sure is lost on them after their taxicab confessional) but now they are still in the race because of a Pseudo NEL and a true NEL.

• Love 2

And.... they're done.

Like so many other teams over the years, they were pretty classy at the Philimination. Not enough to make me wish they were still there - especially if that meant losing Team Fun - but I do tend to admire the teams that can pull it together for a decent farewell. Phil seemed honestly sad to see them go.

I did like Michael's enthusiasm for the Speed Bump, and the way he coaxed a grossed-out Liz through it.

They should never have let him drive again.  He was stubborn about the compass directions again.

Despite what they said at the mat, she will probably not plan to have anything to do with him ever again.

• Love 1
(edited)

She's still talking him up on her Twitter feed:

ETA:  Not so much, really...
Someone on Twitter asked why Michael didn't drive, she replied "Good question".  she liked my answer of "Because Michael's hyper-masculinity couldn't handle being in the backseat to a woman."

She posted a picture of herself looking really happy.  I asked "So happy to be done with "keep going -- no back-tracks"?"; she liked it and said "You have no idea".

Edited by jhlipton
Updates from Twitter
  • Love 4

Michael has "an IQ around 140" and doesn't know how to read a theme park map.

He is nice enough when they are doing well, but a total jackass when things go wrong.

I wonder if his wife appreciated the break? 

This guy reminds me so much of my ex husband in both looks and demeanor that I disliked him on a visceral level. He was frequently very competent and sometimes bitingly funny, but overall just a horrible boor for Liz to be stuck with. He always had to be right, even when he was clearly wrong, so he rewrote history in his own mind to make his mistakes her fault, or LoLo's fault or Vanck's. Glad he's gone. Sorry he couldn't take Brooke with him. 

• Love 3

It had to happen eventually, and sadly for them, it had to happen on a self-navigation leg.  Michael should've listened to Liz about turning back around when they noticed that the other teams had disappeared.  Then, they could've gotten there in time to do both the For the Bride and For the Groom Detours in plenty of time before Becca & Floyd arrived.  Even worse, Michael lost them more time by not taking a goat at the For the Groom Detour.  Without those errors, the Speed Bump could've been meaningless (even though they did that one well), especially given how quickly Liz seemed to complete the Roadblock.  Nonetheless, when Michael is relaxed, he can come off quite charming.

I'll miss seeing that side of him, but not so much his jerk side.  And Liz was generally lovely, so I'll miss her, too.

13 hours ago, HavartiHead42 said:

This guy reminds me so much of my ex husband in both looks and demeanor that I disliked him on a visceral level. He was frequently very competent and sometimes bitingly funny, but overall just a horrible boor for Liz to be stuck with. He always had to be right, even when he was clearly wrong, so he rewrote history in his own mind to make his mistakes her fault, or LoLo's fault or Vanck's. Glad he's gone. Sorry he couldn't take Brooke with him. 

You must have married him after I broke up with him!  I had the same reaction, he is so much like a red-headed, bearded guy I dated.  A friendly, funny guy who had a stubborn, egotistical side that I couldn't tolerate.  Always right, and when he's wrong it was my fault, so he was still right. 

• Love 3

The schadenfreude is strong on this one because he boasted of his 140 IQ and talked about how he's such a fan.

Did he study the previous seasons, especially about people losing the legs because of navigation problems, especially those stubborn racers who doubled-down after taking the wrong turns?

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if Michael (or any douchebag we've seen over the years) sees himself on TV and realizes what an ass he is, or if he's still going, "See? See how Liz screwed me over by missing the turn in the first place, and then not finding a nonexistent road around the mountain?" 

Edited by majormama
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, majormama said:

I wonder if Michael (or any douchebag we've seen over the years) sees himself on TV and realizes what an ass he is, or if he's still going, "See? See how Liz screwed me over by missing the turn in the first place, and then not finding a nonexistent road around the mountain?" 

Here's the relevant part of his Facebook post:

Liz Espey. I could not have asked for a better partner. Seriously. This is one truly remarkable young lady, and I will treasure our time together and our friendship for the rest of my life. You deserved a better partner than me, especially in Norway and Greece. I can’t apologize enough for my damned bullheadedness and temper. I truly do love you like a little sister, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you.

Re Brooke and Scott:

For those of you wondering, I’m not mad at Brooke and Scott. They outplayed us within the rules of the game. Yes, at the time, I was hurt and betrayed. But life is too short to carry around anger and grudges. It eats away at you. I won’t fall into that trap. Knowing what I do now, I would’ve still helped them in Tanzania, because to not do so would betray my nature. I love you all to bits and cannot wait to see what’s next.

Worth reading the whole thing.

• Love 1

After that, I mind him a whole lot less. People who learn from their mistakes - including recognizing their own douchebaggery when presented with the evidence - are generally okay in my book.

I'm still relieved that it wasn't Team Fun that got eliminated, though.

• Love 5