Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Freedom

5 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

I gave up about 4 episodes ago because I wasn't digging this season at all. Did it ever pick up? I felt guilty after investing over 3 seasons.

It's been pretty meh, some of the ideas would've worked with better execution.

S2 finale would've been the best series finale imo had they also touched upon the other Horsemen and Moloch wasn't a huge disappointment

I would have forgiven this show for a lot of things if they had Tom Ellis play The Devil.  That would have been too awesome, I guess.  Can't wait for Lucifer to come back!

Anyway, not bad, but nothing too surprising.  Dreyfuss unleashes the Horsemen and kidnaps the President, but he is defeated by a combination of Jobe betraying him, Ichabod making a deal with The Devil (yep, that happened), Ichabod having a heart to heart with Henry who decides to give up for freedom and all that shit, Jenny and the kids distracting the other Horseman, and then Diana shoots him, while Ichabod holds some kind of tome that screws up his immortality.  And then Jobe takes him to Hell.  The end.  This show sure knows how to make its villains be underwhelming, despite being played by actors I normally like.  First, John Noble, then Peter Mensah, and now Jeremy Davies.  I miss early S3 Pandora.

Alex finally declares her love for Jake and they make-out.  I guess Jake already forgot about the bartender he was dating.  Speaking of forgetting, wasn't Jenny considering leaving?  That wasn't brought up at all and she apparently is sticking around still.

Lara is staying, but is going off now to clear her head or whatever.  I almost feel bad for the actress playing Young Molly, because she starts out as the Witness, only for her role to basically be assumed by another actress.  To be fair, I get why (Molly physically fighting the Horsemen would be a stretch), but I wonder if this was the plan all along, or if things changed.

I guess if this show does come back, it will be about Ichabod trying to find a way not get out of his "deal with the Devil."  But, really, if this show is renewed with these basement dwelling numbers, it either has to be because the entire FOX pilot season was a bust, or Atlanta is actually paying the producers to film in their city.  But weirder things have happened, I guess.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I would have forgiven this show for a lot of things if they had Tom Ellis play The Devil.  That would have been too awesome, I guess.  Can't wait for Lucifer to come back!

It's funny you mention that show, that reminded me of Sleepy Hollow in its glory days had it not taken the turn it did in S2.

• Love 2

What it the world was THAT?

There were 10 different plot lines. Headless isn't even intimidating anymore.

So Ichabod makes a deal with the Devil but he doesn't do it to get Abbie back? He'd make a terrible Winchester.

Ichabod and Henry shooting each other really should have been the series finale.

Meh

• Love 5
5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

What it the world was THAT?

There were 10 different plot lines. Headless isn't even intimidating anymore.

So Ichabod makes a deal with the Devil but he doesn't do it to get Abbie back? He'd make a terrible Winchester.

Ichabod and Henry shooting each other really should have been the series finale.

Meh

Headless was completely wasted especially given that they did the Horsemen thing for the past few episodes.

I'm tired of Ichabod/Henry's never ending issues, of all the things to bring back...

• Love 1

I've been wondering why the kid that plays Young Molly seems so familiar, but until I saw her name in the opening credits it didn't hit me that she'd been a contestant on one of the few Masterchef Junior seasons that I've watched.

I'm going to miss Tom Mison's pretty face, but this show...not so much anymore. 

• Love 1

I was going to tune in, but when I realized it was the finale, I decided to skip it. I didn't want to open myself to the possibility that my last memory of the show would be a snarled mess of nonsense and dangling threads.  From what I'm reading it was a good call. The season was already sufficiently unsatisfying that the episodes couldn't hold my interest, of course it didn't help that the one I did sit all the way through was that dull trial episode with Henry. Glad I missed more of his whining.

• Love 2
(edited)

I do not understand why they bought John Noble/Henry back. I do not think it did much to help the show. It was more of the same, whining about how Crane did him wrong. Been there done that. It was part of the reason that most of Season 2 was a flop. They would have been better off leaving him dead.

The last episode 'Tomorrow' led us to believe at the end he was going to do something spellbinding/mind blowing, but in 'Freedom' he did a little spiel and walked away. Just lame.

If they do do a Season 5, please do not bring back Henry. Enough is enough.

Edited by Sariah
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Sariah said:

I do not understand why they bought John Noble/Henry back. I do not think it did much to help the show. It was more of the same, whining about how Crane did him wrong. Been there done that. It was part of the reason that most of Season 2 was a flop. They would have been better off leaving him dead.

The last episode 'Tomorrow' led us to believe at the end he was going to do something spellbinding/mind blowing, but in 'Freedom' he did a little spiel and walked away. Just lame.

It was disappointing, more Henry/Ichabod drama that was already played out in S2.

• Love 2

Now that it's over and quite possibly done, are there any individual episodes from this season that anyone would particularly recommend as representing what worked best in lieu of watching the finale? 

(edited)

That was rather tepid. The horsemen were defeated rather easily because oh look here's the magic weapons. This really could have been 2 parts. I would have liked to see a battle of wits with Crane and the devil. 

I think it was a huge misstep to not have Jobe a better character. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Hey, Henry, you want some cheese with that whine?

Magic meat cleavers? Really, show?!?

So we never got any follow-up with the murderous FBI official or the shady senator from last season who were keeping an eye on the witnesses and took off with Crane in the season finale? Did they just dump him on the beltway and expect him to fend for himself?

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Hey, Henry, you want some cheese with that whine?

Magic meat cleavers? Really, show?!?

So we never got any follow-up with the murderous FBI official or the shady senator from last season who were keeping an eye on the witnesses and took off with Crane in the season finale? Did they just dump him on the beltway and expect him to fend for himself?

Oh I forgot about them, I just assumed they were just killed off or something.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

That was rather tepid. The horsemen were defeated rather easily because oh look here's the magic weapons. This really could have been 2 parts. I would have liked to see a battle of wits with Crane and the devil. 

I think it was a huge misstep to not have Jobe a better character. 

I figured he would turn on Dreyfuss, but yeah, the Horsemen were just disappointing.  It only came up in the last few episodes.

It was a nice season, er, series finale. Ichabod became an official US citizen!

The deal with the devil? You do have to beware the fine print.

Henry should have stayed dead and buried.

The siren/sea monster was quite large. And why is it in that lake?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm trying to decide which finale was less satisfying: Grimm or Sleepy Hollow. At least with Grimm, it was the series finale so I know that it's over and done!

This one, Grimm felt more like a non event that just tacked on a HEA after next to nothing has happened all season long.

SH brought back the Horsemen only to waste them again, a poorly conceived main villain, wasted more time on Henry's never ending issues, etc.

3 hours ago, Free said:

This one, Grimm felt more like a non event that just tacked on a HEA after next to nothing has happened all season long.

SH brought back the Horsemen only to waste them again, a poorly conceived main villain, wasted more time on Henry's never ending issues, etc.

I don't know if anyone way back in the day watched Highlander: The Series but every time I saw the Horsemen in their masks and riding, I just kept expecting it be Methos and Kronos leading the way.  Somehow the supernatural Horsemen seemed decidedly disappointing in comparison to 4 immortals from 20 years ago. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I don't know if anyone way back in the day watched Highlander: The Series but every time I saw the Horsemen in their masks and riding, I just kept expecting it be Methos and Kronos leading the way.  Somehow the supernatural Horsemen seemed decidedly disappointing in comparison to 4 immortals from 20 years ago. 

Even Supernatural handled it better by comparison, at least they were fleshed out there, the closest thing we have is more of Henry's daddy issues.

• Love 1

Yes!  I kept thinking this every time the horsemen were on the screen.  Did I just date myself?

Can someone remind me why Henry hates his dad so much?  Is it really "you were dead and not around when I was growing up and needed you" thing?  I mean, that's hardly Ichabod's fault.  Really, it's just repetitive and dull at this point.  They have nothing else to do with Henry but retread and retread and retread this one thing.  Waste of John Nobel.   Only good thing about him coming back is the episode when he first appeared, Diana made a comment about that being Crane's son and Jenny made a comment like "isn't that your grown daughter over there?".

Overall blah.  If this does end up being the series finale, it's a good way to wrap things up.  I'll miss Tom Mison, but the show just isn't the same without Abbie.  I do wonder at what point the writers realized having one of the Witnesses being a little kid wasn't going to work.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

"When mothers warned their children about the monster coming to get them, that was me! Is THAT what you wanted to HEAR?"

I would watch another season of mostly standalone episodes and Crane trying to outwit the devil. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Free said:

Even Supernatural handled it better by comparison, at least they were fleshed out there, the closest thing we have is more of Henry's daddy issues.

SPN's intepretation of the 4 Horsemen was pretty great IMO. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, catrox14 said:

SPN's intepretation of the 4 Horsemen was pretty great IMO. 

Agreed, it worked because each one of them were fleshed out and there was ample build up for the climax.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

As soon as Sirens were mentioned I had terrible flashbacks. Was that a nod to TVD?

Terrence Mann played the singing devil. He was the original Rum Tum Tugger in the original US production of Cats and the stage manager who ran the auditions in the Chorus Line movie. Always nice to see him.

Why exactly did the Witness mantle pass to adult Molly from the now-nonexistent dimension? Was that part of the deal too?

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

"When mothers warned their children about the monster coming to get them, that was me! Is THAT what you wanted to HEAR?"

I would watch another season of mostly standalone episodes and Crane trying to outwit the devil. 

Oh yes, the jimmy scene. :)  You know I'd watch that too.  I mean this season wasn't great by any means but there were some things they could build upon to make it better next season and outwitting the devil could be a good through line.

I got a good laugh out of Hell. It appeared to be the Marriot Marquis hotel in Atlanta. If you've ever been there for DragonCon and tried to get on an elevator, you might believe you are indeed in Hell.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Why exactly did the Witness mantle pass to adult Molly from the now-nonexistent dimension? Was that part of the deal too?

For me, it seems like the writers figured out the limitations of a little girl as a witness so they had a future version of her take over during the writing process, it would explain the shift in the last few episodes: future Molly, bringing back the Horsemen, etc.

3 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

I got a good laugh out of Hell. It appeared to be the Marriot Marquis hotel in Atlanta. If you've ever been there for DragonCon and tried to get on an elevator, you might believe you are indeed in Hell.

Ha! I was going to ask if anyone recognized the hotel. The elevator reminded me of the Marriott Marquis in NY, so you're probably right.

i wish Lara had been introduced earlier in the season. She was a good character and meshed well with Crane, plus they could have more easily moved the burden off child-Molly sooner.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Ha! I was going to ask if anyone recognized the hotel. The elevator reminded me of the Marriott Marquis in NY, so you're probably right.

It was a bit too white to be the NYC Marriott, but it made me think of it immediately. I've stayed at the Marquis and I swear it felt like hell trying to get an elevator. It was the worst.

One thing that stood out for me, in a good way, was how each hell was different for them. And how it was maintained when the camera would go to each of them. I'd begun to hate all those ridiculous rotating shots, but switching it around so that Crane was always in Valley Forge and Lara was in the orphanage was well done. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't have a problem with that. It was a reasonable TV handwave. 

It's more that they waited until the last few episodes, which made it feel rushed by the time they wrapped about everything up in the finale.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:26 PM, Frozendiva said:

It was a nice season, er, series finale. Ichabod became an official US citizen!

The deal with the devil? You do have to beware the fine print.

Henry should have stayed dead and buried.

The siren/sea monster was quite large. And why is it in that lake?

Ah, but it wasn't a lake.  The helpfully placed sign said Potomac River Overlook.

Yeah, right, of course it was a lake!  The Potomac north of DC is narrower than that, and fast moving water.  The Potomac south of DC is wide and can accommodate ocean-going vessels (in fact the bridge carrying the Capital Beltway over the Potomac between Alexandria & Maryland is a drawbridge, so that high-masted vessels can get through).  Also, the Potomac is tidal.  Finally, the river has lots of boat and helicopter traffic as well as roads along the shore on both sides, not to mention at least one vintage plantation whose front door still faces the river - a nice little place called Mount Vernon.  A Kraken would have been viral on the net long before they got there....  

Funny, I finally shrugged off all the historical silliness, but apparently I draw a line at the Potomac.