Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: The Girl Who Told Time

So, first off, Margo majorly fucked up and it kind of annoys me that she doesn't seem remotely sorry toward Fen. Not okay.

Second, the ending to the episode got me majorly excited for next week. Quentin and Julia going to the underworld for her shade! And what looks like a dragon! Yassss!

The scene with Q and Alice from the 27th iteration broke my heart a bit. Poor Alice from that universe looks so exhausted and just emotionally broken. I really thought for a sec that Q would break Fogg's rules and try to touch Alice but he didn't. He said he loved her <3 I'm really feeling their relationship MUCH more this season than I ever did in the first. Chemistry is more apparent or something between the actors.

Todd, Josh, and the librarian are some of my favorite reoccurring characters!

Edited by grandemocha
Added detail.
  • Love 6

Okay, those faeries are freakin creepy.  Yikes.

Why doesn't Reynard show up and kill Julia and Kady any time they're not at Fillary or Brakebills?

Poor Fen.  Well, at least she knows now.

Dragons?!?  Cool.

Something I've been wondering for a while.  Is it possible to restart the time loop?  I'm wondering because in previous loops Reynard was not invoked.  In this loop, Reynard is continuing to wreak havoc.  At what point is it no longer justifiable to continue this loop in order to save the students from Martin when untold numbers of people are being killed by Reynard?  It's just a philosophy question.  I'm not expecting them to reset the loop again if they even can, and I don't really want them to.

2 minutes ago, Poltargyst said:

Is it possible to restart the time loop? 

I don't think it's possible to restart the time loop because the watcher woman/ Jane Chatwin was murdered by Martin last season and she had the magical stopwatch that allowed her to do so...without her/it, nothing can be restarted or reset.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, grandemocha said:

I don't think it's possible to restart the time loop because the watcher woman/ Jane Chatwin was murdered by Martin last season and she had the magical stopwatch that allowed her to do so...without her/it, nothing can be restarted or reset.

Ah, okay, thanks.  I just remembered too that maybe Reynard's son is keeping him busy at the moment.

• Love 1

I love when Margo gets to be the Cordelia of the show and do some truth telling - nobody likes emo Quentin!

I knew Marlee Matlin had to be up to something! But at least she gave Kady some useful information. Now she just needs to figure out how to use Penny's library connections to actually get her hand on that book. And damn, Penny learned that being a librarian is hardcore! I found it interesting that even without knowing what books are locked up, he took the library's side. He's already turning into one of them! The faux BuzzFeed place was hilarious. "That's just guys taking children's vitamins."

One thing I'm really enjoying this season is how much the show has veered away from the books but is still finding ways to incorporate plotlines from the books. I can't be easy to do that, so high five to the writers/producers for that.

I was afraid that Josh was going to be found out and killed on his undercover mission so I'm glad he's okay. I wonder why Margo let the original message go through, but I guess sending them a fake message AND using the potion seemed like overkill.

So do they know for sure that the message came from the FU guy in the dungeon? It could have been anyone in the castle, right?

I am simultaneously annoyed with Eliot and feeling sorry for him that he is so concerned with being liked. I know that part of the reason is to quell any rebellion, but I think a large part of it is also due to Eliot just wanting to be liked (unlike Margo who clearly has no fucks to give about being liked).

I love how annoyed everyone gets with Todd. At least he was somewhat helpful this time!

I really need to try some of Josh's creations! And I want to see him hanging out with Thomas Keller!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

...nobody likes emo Quentin!

And yet that's what we've gotten almost the entire two seasons. I let up on him a bit recently because his heart is broken, but not really.

Buzzfeed is magic! Who knew?

• Love 2

Man, I love this show. 

First off, the scene between Alison (23rd iteration and Quentin was damn heartbreaking. Alison looked so damn beat down and it was obvious she was going to great lengths so that Quentin could find some measure of peace. I think that speaks volumes about their bond. Their relationship arc this season has been so damn tragic that, honestly, I would accept our Alison riding in on a unicorn and telling them she mastered all the magics and is alive again. While I'm definitely not a fan of emo!Quentin, I don't find it nearly as annoying as it was in Season 1 because, honestly, just the shit he's gone through with Alison this season has been excruciating. This season's emo!Quentin at least has context. By the way, if they decide not to bring back Alison, I think Quentin should get with Margo. I definitely don't want it to be Julia and I think the two actors have really good chemistry. Plus, I think the characters' personalities would create a wonderful dynamic. 

Hav to say, I LOVED Penny's reaction to the deaf magician using sign language. The actor perfectly sold the fact that when fingers start twisting, shit is going down. Pretty sure no magician would ever enjoy a hand puppet show. 

Edited by Inquiry
  • Love 6

Loved this episode! As much as adored some of the really off-the-wall stuff like the Les Mis number that they seem to have been veering off on over the past few weeks, this one gave me more of a feeling that they were getting some focus back. Maybe with a little more Brakebills back in the balance, and Dean Fogg's stabilizing influence,it just felt a bit more grounded. At any rate,  can't wait to see what happens next! 

How convenient that the first thing the library had Penny do involved someone who knew exactly where the answers they were looking for could be found! 

• Love 4

Overall I felt like this episode flowed a bit better than most - I didn't feel like there were big chunks missing like I usually do. And I liked the references to Nate Silver and Bob Ross being magicians (makes total sense for Bob Ross!). But I didn't understand why Eliot kept calling Margo "Bambi." Is that his new pet name for her? I've never heard him call her that before.

I'm not sure what to make of this bit with contacting Alice from one of the previous time loops - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If time was reset, then how can that version of her still exist? It's not like this is a different dimension/plane, it's just a reset of time. And she said she'd "traveled the world" trying to find Quentin's shade - how did she have time to do that? Didn't Jane Chatwin reset time as soon as everyone else was killed? 

• Love 3

I thought that every time Jane reset time, a new reality was created - so she created 39 (or 40, whatever) new timelines parallel to the present timeline and in each one of them, except this one, her brother doesn't die. So, presumably, there are 39 other timelines out there in which some or none of the group are alive after the clash. Although the parallel worlds are similar up to the point that the students enter Brakebills, they start to widely diverge after meetings with the Beast, such that the reality they pulled Alice in from is fairly divergent by this point, especially in realities where there is no more magic.

The thing I liked about this show is that it seemed like they were really pumping up Quentin as the pivotal character in the first few episodes, when it turns out that it is really Julia and Alice who are the characters that matter, as far as the main plot of the Beast (which is now a closed plot, although I am pretty sure

Spoiler

the shade Julia sees in the next episode is Martin's, and maybe Jane's. Julia's shade said she was lost, so she is probably not in the place All Good Shades Go To After They Die (or are killed horribly, whichever).

Still not liking the Fillory episodes or any of the characters in Fillory. I like the addition of the Library, though, it's pretty clear the Poison Room is one of our next big plots.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One thing I'm really enjoying this season is how much the show has veered away from the books but is still finding ways to incorporate plotlines from the books. I can't be easy to do that, so high five to the writers/producers for that.

As for the books:

Spoiler

The dragon was in the books, though in a different plot line, as well as Quentin going to the Underworld, though for a different reason. Still, I'm glad to see them at least trying to incorporate a bit more from the books, because a lot of the TV plots are not in the books at all (fairies, Eliot being married, Alice being trapped in Q's tattoo, Reynard having a son, Julia getting pregnant, the gang robbing a bank...none of this is in the books.)

"I really need to try some of Josh's creations!"

"It's like getting hugged by a rainbow!"

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the opening minutes of this episode. From the timeline where we understood what Julia would have mastered in, had that timeline existed, to Margo getting all over Quentin about being Emo for 3 months, Q's surprised "You liked one of the Quentin's?" and Margo telling him she needed to rub one out in a hot bath. I also liked the scene with altAlice and Quentin, it was touching. I'm mildly amused that Penny's job is collecting over due books and I finally realized where I knew the female librarian from (Toby Maguire Spiderman as the girl in the next apt who always wanted to make him cookies). Penny did aggravate when he was so short with the deaf woman though just because he couldn't understand her.

So Q and Julia have to face down a dragon? That should be interesting..

• Love 1

I know Mageina Tovah as Glynis on Joan of Arcadia but she has guest starred on everything from Buffy, Boston Public, NYPD Blue, Bones, Private Practice, The Shield, and The Mentalist to You're the Worst (where she was a recurring character), Hung, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder.

Making Magic:

On 3/29/2017 at 10:10 PM, Poltargyst said:

Why doesn't Reynard show up and kill Julia and Kady any time they're not at Fillary or Brakebi

I presume he's busy getting to know his son atm.  But he'll be back soon.

It was nice to see what Julia could have been/was with Brakebills.  She definitely looked happier.

Since Alice was trying to help Q's shade in a different timeline, this means that all the timelines still exist in some fashion?  

I love that we're getting the dragons, even though the plot line is different from the books.

I was a bit surprised that Penny was suddenly all "yay library, must follow blindly."  That is definitely not the Penny we know.  Especially since just an episode ago Penny was saying he'd do anything to help Kady.  I guess that's only when he's the only one that she can turn to.  Now that she can get info from Marlee Matin (and I love that magic is so universal - and Buzzfeed, lol), does Penny think Kady won't need him and she'll leave again?

I so feel for Elliott that he's trying to do good for Fillory and is being reviled.  I loved Margo's solution for the FU, too bad she couldn't figure out a better solution to the well, but she was under more of a time crunch.  Fen is obviously not so "yay Elliott, anything for Elliott" now that she knows she'll have to share his affections (and more than likely, Elliott will spend more time with the other king).  I have no doubt she'll be all 'rally the FU' once the fairies kick her back after taking the baby.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:08 PM, grandemocha said:

So, first off, Margo majorly fucked up and it kind of annoys me that she doesn't seem remotely sorry toward Fen. Not okay.

Second, the ending to the episode got me majorly excited for next week. Quentin and Julia going to the underworld for her shade! And what looks like a dragon! Yassss!

The scene with Q and Alice from the 27th iteration broke my heart a bit. Poor Alice from that universe looks so exhausted and just emotionally broken. I really thought for a sec that Q would break Fogg's rules and try to touch Alice but he didn't. He said he loved her <3 I'm really feeling their relationship MUCH more this season than I ever did in the first. Chemistry is more apparent or something between the actors.

Todd, Josh, and the librarian are some of my favorite reoccurring characters!

Margot is being a brat because she doesn't have to stay in Fillory. Eliot is stuck there, which is why he's concerned that the wellspring can still produce magic, the people can grow food, he can quash a war and a rebellion, and that people like him. It's his kingdom and his prison. It's to his benefit to make it as comfortable as he possibly can. His privy council continues to be fairly terrible. I still find it completely ridiculous that the FU Fighters have organized themselves to depose the children of earth who rule Fillory when it's pretty obvious that native Fillorians are just as clueless if not more so than the children of earth.

Alice 27 was so sad and broken. It is funny that Quentin and Alice's feelings seem so much deeper now that Alice is gone.

If the books in the restricted section of the library don't show up in the card catalogue, how would Marlee's character know what's in the restricted section? It would be interesting to explore that mystery.

• Love 1

Poor Alice 27! She looks so miserable and broken down, and she was so happy to see Q, even though she knew it wasn't "her" Q. I thought they were pretty cute last year, but this year I'm way more into their tragedy. I don't care if its contrived, I want them to be happy damn it!

I like seeing more of the magical library, I love the Librarian. I feel like behind her Hall Monitor looks, she can kick major magic ass. I like that Penny is already starting to fall in with them, it seems like an interesting story for him. Penny hates authority, but maybe he can get behind them if he really believes that they're a authority doing something worthwhile. I'm with Penny on this one, I think. I'm sure the Librarians have secrets, but its probably a bad idea to have books about how to unwrite reality just laying around for anyone to find.

I love Margo, but I'm pretty annoyed with her right now. She doesn't even seem to feel that bad about selling Fen and Elliot's kid. I hope Elliot seriously reads her the riot act when he finds out what she did. I know she was trying to help, but still. Those Fairies are creepy as hell.

Next up? Underworld, magic shades, and DRAGONS! Sign me up baby!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Since Alice was trying to help Q's shade in a different timeline, this means that all the timelines still exist in some fashion?  

That's interesting. Is this an Alice from long after the reset should have occurred, or did they try to kill the Beast sooner and Alice had to live with it longer?

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Margot is being a brat because she doesn't have to stay in Fillory. Eliot is stuck there, which is why he's concerned that the wellspring can still produce magic, the people can grow food, he can quash a war and a rebellion, and that people like him. It's his kingdom and his prison. It's to his benefit to make it as comfortable as he possibly can. His privy council continues to be fairly terrible. I still find it completely ridiculous that the FU Fighters have organized themselves to depose the children of earth who rule Fillory when it's pretty obvious that native Fillorians are just as clueless if not more so than the children of earth.

Alice 27 was so sad and broken. It is funny that Quentin and Alice's feelings seem so much deeper now that Alice is gone.

If the books in the restricted section of the library don't show up in the card catalogue, how would Marlee's character know what's in the restricted section? It would be interesting to explore that mystery.

If she checked out a book, one would presume that Marlee's character has a library card. There may even be different levels of card holders. Katy was essentially walking in with no card asking about killing gods.

• Love 1
On March 29, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Poltargyst said:

Okay, those faeries are freakin creepy.  Yikes.

Why doesn't Reynard show up and kill Julia and Kady any time they're not at Fillary or Brakebills?

Poor Fen.  Well, at least she knows now.

Dragons?!?  Cool.

Something I've been wondering for a while.  Is it possible to restart the time loop?  I'm wondering because in previous loops Reynard was not invoked.  In this loop, Reynard is continuing to wreak havoc.  At what point is it no longer justifiable to continue this loop in order to save the students from Martin when untold numbers of people are being killed by Reynard?  It's just a philosophy question.  I'm not expecting them to reset the loop again if they even can, and I don't really want them to.

I think Julia has that stone that the illusionist gave her to maker her undetectable to gods. 

• Love 1
  • If I was Elliot, I tell Margo and crew to go back to earth and bring back some heavy weaponry: assault rifles, tanks, attack helicopters using the button. Then train the fillorian army how to use the weapons  they would be unstoppable.  
  • Why didn't the librarians provide Elliot and crew with the info on how to revive the wellspring. After all, the librarians need magic too. 
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2017 at 8:21 AM, Inquiry said:

By the way, if they decide not to bring back Alison, I think Quentin should get with Margo. I definitely don't want it to be Julia and I think the two actors have really good chemistry. Plus, I think the characters' personalities would create a wonderful dynamic. 

I agree.  I hate the  idea of Quentin and Julia, but Quentin and Margo?  Love the idea.  They are SO opposite and yet wonderfully snarky together.  I would be behind that pairing.  Quentin needs some happiness.  Geez!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Bishop said:

I agree.  I hate the  idea of Quentin and Julia, but Quentin and Margo?  Love the idea.  They are SO opposite and yet wonderfully snarky together.  I would be behind that pairing.  Quentin needs some happiness.  Geez!

Exactly! Hell, they've already been in a three way together. Hell, they and Elliot have always been a weird little trio. Even Margo, in one of her bitchiest moments, said that Alison was just a package deal with Quentin. In some of their scenes, I just see this spark. Given that Eliot is now stuck in Fillory forever and Margo surreptitiously sold his child, I can definitely see their relationship damaged (if not irreparably destroyed). Who can Margo not mourn with if not another King of Fillory? Unfortunately, the show seems to be leading to a Julie/Quentin hook-up at the very least. If not a full-on romance. Which really seems nonsensical to me. I understand that Julie has been through a horrific time, but she did terrible things to Quentin both before and after those events. She nearly killed him with the mind spell. She took the blade, seemingly not giving a fuck that she's living her best friend with a bunch of dying or dead friends. Not to mention that the act ultimately led to Alison's death. She nearly killed Quentin again (at least this time she was shadeless). I know the character's stated some remorse, but the actress didn't sell it and a few lines don't erase what Julie did. Hell, just a few episodes ago (shade still intact), Julie complained to Kady about being around a bunch of people who "think she killed Alison." Maybe it was just a badly written line, but it implies Julie still hasn't taken accountability for her actions and the consequences they wrought. Yet, Quentin is just supposed to shrug his shoulders and be like "Besties, again?". One of the many reasons I love Margo is because she doesn't let Julie off for the things she's done. Of course, Margo should probably look in a mirror and lecture herself over her recent decision.      

• Love 3
(edited)

Even Margo, in one of her bitchiest moments, said that Alison was just a package deal with Quentin.

Who is Alison?

ETA: Oh, never-mind, I just realized you meant Alice!

I don't personally see a Julia and Q hook-up coming any-time soon or ever. Q and Julia are those type of best friends that are just always going to be very close even though they might do horrible things to others and to each-other on occasion. He did have that huge crush on her in Season 1 that she thankfully did not reciprocate because if she wasn't feeling it then she didn't owe him anything romantic..but they seem to have moved forward. Margo and Eliot are the package deal it appears and I wish the show would give Margo her own plot, even with Fillory..she shares that story-line with Eliot.

The writing for Margo is better this season and she she has the fun one-liners but I'd like more for the character. If anything, Alice's death has kind of really reinforced the validity of Q and Alice in a strange way (to me). I like that the writers didn't attempt to rush or gloss over Quentin grieving the loss of Alice. Also, it's nice to see that the characters acknowledged on more than one occasion the sacrifice Alice made with her life to get rid of The Beast. JMO though!

Edited by grandemocha
typo
  • Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:22 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know Mageina Tovah as Glynis on Joan of Arcadia but she has guest starred on everything from Buffy, Boston Public, NYPD Blue, Bones, Private Practice, The Shield, and The Mentalist to You're the Worst (where she was a recurring character), Hung, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder.

Of all the shows you listed, I have only watched 3. Buffy (long ago), The Mentalist (scattered repeats on TNT or USA whichever station use to air it) and Bones for only a few seasons.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I knew Marlee Matlin had to be up to something! But at least she gave Kady some useful information. Now she just needs to figure out how to use Penny's library connections to actually get her hand on that book.

I thought that was Marlee, but it's been a long time since I have seen the actress so I wasn't sure.

I'm still working thru a backlog on my DVR and just now catching up to this episode. Did you know https://fuzzbeat.com/ exists? I didn't find any indication that it is official or affiliated with SyFy in any way, but it does have the alternate screen with the magic stuff.

Tons of funny one-liners in this ep, too many to remember for the quotes thread.

Wow, Quentin slayed me in this episode. His scene with Alice was heartbreaking. Jason Ralph impresses me every episode with what he brings to the character.  I would like to see Quentin use more magic though. He's always standing behind while everyone else does it. I can't decide if this is because he's a passive personality or if he's supposed to be magically incompetent? I'm assuming he's still enrolled in school? These are the kind of details this show regularly lets slide.

On 01/04/2017 at 2:09 AM, Hanahope said:

I was a bit surprised that Penny was suddenly all "yay library, must follow blindly."  That is definitely not the Penny we know.  Especially since just an episode ago Penny was saying he'd do anything to help Kady. 

He did just see somebody commit suicide rather than let the Poison Room knowledge get out. I wasn't surprised he took the position that the knowledge should be kept secret.

On 06/04/2017 at 9:16 AM, grandemocha said:

I don't personally see a Julia and Q hook-up coming any-time soon or ever.

Regardless of how the characters may or may not feel about each other, Julia has fucked him over too many times. And killed his girlfriend - twice.  I think the audience would projectile vomit if they went there. I'm still heaving from the ridiculous second marriage twist.

On 4/24/2017 at 2:32 PM, AudienceofOne said:

He did just see somebody commit suicide rather than let the Poison Room knowledge get out. I wasn't surprised he took the position that the knowledge should be kept secret.

Penny knows how much trouble the group has gotten into with a children's book series and messing with Gods, so it's not unreasonable to think that maybe some knowledge is better kept to people who know what they're doing instead of some random people who feel that information should be shared freely regardless of the consequences. 

Also it's his first day on the job and his first assignment and it's already led to the death of the only other Librarian we've seen. 

I think this might be the episode I've liked the most so far this season.  

The other iterations/timelines concept intrigues me, and seeing Julia in that other timeline, and having her work with the Dean and Quentin and actually trying to be a normal human being actually made her much more watchable this episode.  

The scene with Alice 23 was heartbreaking, and well done.  

I really like the head Librarian, so I also liked Penny and Kady's library subplot.  Still, it's frustrating the book they need to kill Renauld is out of bounds.  Who would have the authority to enter that room anyway?  Surely, Magicians can agree that having a trickster god loose in the world is not good for anyone.  

As usual, the Fillory parts were the least engaging but there were parts I liked.  The fairies are so creepy and Margot is being very unfair to Fen.  Having Josh there made it all a little better than usual, though.  I had hoped Eliot really got through to that resistance guy but I'm glad they foiled their plan.

On 3/30/2017 at 4:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was afraid that Josh was going to be found out and killed on his undercover mission so I'm glad he's okay. I wonder why Margo let the original message go through, but I guess sending them a fake message AND using the potion seemed like overkill.

So do they know for sure that the message came from the FU guy in the dungeon? It could have been anyone in the castle, right?

It's funny how it was just handled offscreen. "Whew! That was a tough mission! Glad we made it out okay!" If Josh's potion was strong enough to put them out for a week, it doesn't matter if they get the right intel, they can't act on it.

Yes, the message came from FU guy. He had the nachos, and he put the note under them. He's also the only prisoner (we know about) that recently tried to kill the king, and Elliot blabbed to him about his wedding, so it was pretty obvious.

"Elliot, you know that rehab isn't just about nachos and backgammon!"

"Do we, Margo? Do we?"