Type keyword(s) to search

Heartaches, Bromances, True Love and Team Arrow: the Relationships Thread

quarks
  • Start Topic

Don't forget this

tumblr_mxne17mAwh1qjozueo2_250.gif

The first "Damn girl! Is Felicity hot?" Moment. 

Or my personal fave season 2 underrated moment:

fEBxaftVyrcPM0DMqwnSK79tpMWrfieQ_tYFKLN8

Look at two platonic friends:

tumblr_oxscusfEYZ1sih5kxo5_400.gif

And this:

tumblr_inline_nilhqlkESE1rkf4dx.gif

And of course the "why are you looking at her Barney?"

T3yGjeKpp2CTsJDRtKZy2xuleTlgNeWvOslhSP58

• Love 16
30 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Yep! Speaking of not a time for bone jumping between friends . . . "I'm gonna go turn myself over to Slade, but first I'm going to eyefuck you for days."

bf809e3a1c6a44c3fe64069ffc5d208a.gif

I caaaaaaaaan't. 

This is still one of my fave moments. When I first watched this I thought he was gonna kiss her before I remembered I was watching Arrow and it was only s2 so...too soon! ?

But to me SA played it as Oliver wanting to kiss her before he handed himself over to Slade, almost like a regret that he'd never get that chance. There's so much longing in this look. ?

• Love 16
1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

OMG, all the time. My favorite is in 207 when he comes back to the lair after Moira is acquitted. 

When he tells Digg and Felicity, "I just wanted to check in on you. And you," the look he gives Felicity is so not platonic. 

ICAM. I honestly feel like they were willing Olicity into existence by adding all those unscripted looks and touches into their scenes together. And it worked. Bless these angels.

2.07 was such a treasure trove for Olicity moments.

giphy.gif

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'd forgotten that he inspected her hair after she revealed the Big Secret.  Had to be an improv by Amell and a solid comedic choice at that.

Yep. 

We were happy to welcome Stephen Amell, the one and only Oliver Queen, to our table, and he let us behind the curtain about all of those favorite Olicity moments that we’ve drooled over the last 3 seasons. When we asked about how he and Emily Bett Rickards take time to make sure that their relationship comes off as realistic and natural as possible through little touches, Stephen talked about one example, “I think when I left in 3×09 last year, I don’t think it was scripted that I kissed her on the forehead.” He went on to say that, “With Emily, it always tended to be little physical things, like, her touching my shoulder, or her mentioning that she dyes her hair.” With a pairing as important to the fandom as Olicity, it’s comforting to know that the actors are as dedicated to make it special as we are excited to watch for each little touch.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

When we asked about how he and Emily Bett Rickards take time to make sure that their relationship comes off as realistic and natural as possible through little touches, Stephen talked about one example, “I think when I left in 3×09 last year, I don’t think it was scripted that I kissed her on the forehead.” He went on to say that, “With Emily, it always tended to be little physical things, like, her touching my shoulder, or her mentioning that she dyes her hair.” With a pairing as important to the fandom as Olicity, it’s comforting to know that the actors are as dedicated to make it special as we are excited to watch for each little touch.

Are they saying that Felicity being a bottled blond was improvised?  

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:56 AM, Soulfire said:

Compilation of Felicity touching Oliver's chest --

tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo1_400.gif tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo2_400.gif

tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo3_400.gif tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo4_400.gif

tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo5_400.gif tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo6_400.gif

tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo7_400.gif tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo10_400.gif

tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo8_400.gif tumblr_p6qz3miNSh1upkpglo9_400.gif

From Tumblr. (I have no reason for posting this other than, well, I like it.)

If it were up to SA we would have a compilation of Oliver touching Felicity's butt.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

Yep! Speaking of not a time for bone jumping between friends . . . "I'm gonna go turn myself over to Slade, but first I'm going to eyefuck you for days."

I caaaaaaaaan't. 

That's one of my fave Olicity moments too...

(Olicity Queen)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

The difference between that scene and the scene between Oliver and Laurel in the next episode is crazy. The intimacy the actors achieved and the way the director shot the scene. Looking back, Olicity wasn't that subtle.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Speaking of great unscripted SA moments, my favorite part of this scene is Oliver's wave when he sees Felicity approaching. On its own, it's just a cute moment. But just before this clip starts, Oliver has a flashback to Lian Yu that leaves him unsettled. Then he sees Felicity and he's smiling and dorkily waving. It's a really small moment, but every time I see it, it reminds me what he told her in 301 about how she was the first person he could see as a person once he came back. It blows my mind that the writers were able to create that narrative based on Stephen's reaction to Emily in 103 and his subsequent choices in his scenes with her.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

I caaaaaaaaan't. 

Oliver: "I'm probably gonna die soon so let me look at your eyes and your lips with all the longing in my soul"

• Love 11
5 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

Speaking of great unscripted SA moments, my favorite part of this scene is Oliver's wave when he sees Felicity approaching. On its own, it's just a cute moment. But just before this clip starts, Oliver has a flashback to Lian Yu that leaves him unsettled. Then he sees Felicity and he's smiling and dorkily waving. It's a really small moment, but every time I see it, it reminds me what he told her in 301 about how she was the first person he could see as a person once he came back. It blows my mind that the writers were able to create that narrative based on Stephen's reaction to Emily in 103 and his subsequent choices in his scenes with her.

That 112 Olicity scene is when I really started shipping them. IDK what it was about it that stood out to me? The lighting, the way it was shot, the way she sees right through him putting on an act. Loved it all.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 11
19 hours ago, Angel12d said:

That 112 Olicity scene is when I really started shipping them. IDK what it was about it that stood out to me? The lighting, the way it was shot, the way she sees right through him putting on an act. Loved it all.

I think the show wanted you to ;) It was the first time they placed Oliver and Felicity in a "romantic" setting. You mentioned the lighting, the way it was shot (soft filter). It was also outside of "work" and was a big relationship moment in the sense that Felicity told Oliver she trusted him. A couple of episodes later, he showed he trusted her — with his secret and his very life.

• Love 14

WHY IS THE OLICITY CHEMISTRY SO AMAZING!!!!!???

It's starting to mess with my enjoyment of other series. I've come to realise I enjoy other series for plot etc but not for the OTP. And it's not like I don't like the other OTPs because I do but I wish they had that Olicity magic because they just don't! 

And the chemistry between the couples in my other series is not bad by any means. It's not Loliver bad or WestAllen dull but it just doesn't have that Olicityness that I am starting to hold as the OTP standard. 

Olicity are ruining things for me *wails*

• Love 6

Your post made me realize how ambivalent I usually am when it comes to shipping. I had to actually run through the list of shows I watch to figure out if I shipped any other couples. I passively ship Jane and Rafael on Jane the Virgin and Rebecca and Nathaniel on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, meaning I enjoy watching them together, but my investment in those relationships ends at the end of each episode. I also love Randall and Beth on This Is Us, but since they were already an established couple when the show started, I've never considered it as "shipping."

I think the only other couples I've truly shipped were Sydney and Vaughn on Alias and Veronica and Logan on Veronica Mars, and in both cases, it was due to the insane chemistry between the actors. And I shipped them hardcore, but if I had to choose my favorite, Olicity would win hands down. There are couples with good chemistry and couples with great chemistry, but I think the reason Olicity is my ultimate OTP is because ever since 112, there's been an emotional intimacy in their scenes that I'm not sure I've ever seen with another couple. 

Long before their relationship became romantic, I completely bought the bond between them and believed they'd do anything for each other. There's just something about them; even when they're in scenes with other people, they seem to vibrate at a different frequency from everyone else and you can always feel the connection between them. Even when they haven't been together, they've still had that "team within a team" dynamic. As much as I hated the way the writers wrote away from them in S5, I kind of understand it? Because their chemistry can't be contained and every time they did interact, they still felt like two people who were more connected to each other than anyone else.

Anyway, that's a longwinded way of saying that Olicity haven't ruined shipping for me because I'm apparently apathetic about shipping to begin with. But I totally agree that the Olicity chemistry makes other ships pale in comparison.

• Love 13

I don't usually ship. I mean, I like couples on shows (FitzSimmons on AoS, Lyatt on Timeless) but I can enjoy a show without liking the ship (whatever the ship name is for Lucifer. Lauren German has no chem with Tom Ellis, IMO). My only ship really is Olicity. I keep swearing off Arrow but Olicity keeps pulling me back in. I don't know that I'm willing to go through another season of crap from Arrow, though, with very little Olicity to show for it.

• Love 2

My gold standard for a ship is D'Lenn/ Sheridan. Olicity is right up there. Both ships are loyal and fierce and smart. Hopefully Oliver and Felicity's relationship will last at least as long.

I'd forgotten that KC thought season three was a love triangle between Laurel, Oliver and Felicity.  I remembered that she made it clear at first that she was just biding her time until she thought Oliver got over his confusion.  I talked to some that are convinced that Oliver just didn't know that Laurel thought of him that way until she was on her deathbed otherwise he totes would have chosen her, lol.  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'd forgotten that KC thought season three was a love triangle between Laurel, Oliver and Felicity.  I remembered that she made it clear at first that she was just biding her time until she thought Oliver got over his confusion.  I talked to some that are convinced that Oliver just didn't know that Laurel thought of him that way until she was on her deathbed otherwise he totes would have chosen her, lol.  

Is this where the "Oliver settled for Felicity" arguments come from?

I don't know about you but when I settle I always try to trick the girl into marrying me even after we broke up, hound her to marry me at someone else's rehearsal dinner and then lament to Barry that she doesn't love me as much as I love her cuz she won't marry me. 

• Love 19
16 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is this where the "Oliver settled for Felicity" arguments come from?

No, I think those arguments come from the alien brainwashing that Diggle described as their ~perfect lives. 

Oliver was apparently too overwhelmed by Laurel telling him he was the love of her life to reciprocate as he desperately wanted to deep deep down inside, and then it was too late and his truest love was dead, so he had no choice but to go back to the woman he proposed to in front of said truest love (Which he only did because he believed Laurel hated him and he didn't really have a chance with her). 

• Love 2

Once upon a time, Oliver was willing to give up his entire life to save Thea's. But he was willing to leave her behind in alien brainwashing world because he knew a world where he had Ollie Queen's life wasn't right. LOL.

• Love 12

That was so bizzare!!! It wasn't like she was moving to Woolloomoolloo to start a new life. She was plugged into a pod. ANYTHING could have happened to that pod and he was ok with that. 

The writing on this show sometimes!

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Of course!  Oliver would totes  have chosen Laurel if only he knew.  I guess the time in 2A when she invited him into her room for the night just went over his head.

Oh, but she was drunk that night and he couldn't take advantage!  It would be like rape if he did!  ---Except that it's in the script that she hadn't had one drop to drink.  Then it turns to she clearly was emotional and sad so he didn't want to take advantage of her.  Except there was NO indication she was sad until AFTER he turned down the pass she made at him.  I even asked why even if he thought she wasn't in a clear state of mind that night he didn't check back later if he was interested since she'd clearly opened the door they previously had both closed.  Then the answer was  a mix of well, he was still respecting her earlier wishes and that Oliver always lets the women make the first move in something like that to which they say that it took until Season four on her deathbed for her to tell him but it was too late but that thus was why he was dreaming about her in his perfect world.  Ignoring that it was all an alien trap just to temporarily distract them.   

3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

That was so bizzare!!! It wasn't like she was moving to Woolloomoolloo to start a new life. She was plugged into a pod. ANYTHING could have happened to that pod and he was ok with that. 

The writing on this show sometimes!

I still have to believe that he just planned on grabbing her on the other side somehow.  Or thought he could come back for her later.   Cause yeah, makes no effing sense.  

• Love 6
21 hours ago, lemotomato said:

The 100th episode was a big juicy steak given to O/L fans that had subsisted on bones or starved for the better part of 3 seasons, so it’s going to sustain them for a while. 

Or at least that is what their delirious minds saw it as.  When you start breaking the episode down without the hunger making it taste like a five-star meal, all the flaws start showing up.  Lots of gristle and fat and clearly cut from the cheapest part of the cow.  

• Love 19

I don't think MG meant it to be a love letter to Laurel/Oliver shippers, or even for Laurel fans.  It was just his way of patting himself on the back for what an awesome show he thought he was creating.  He tends to be really blind like that.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Wasn't it 209?

I have no idea but I'll take your word for it!

I just rewatched it! It was so cuddly I felt like maybe they had done it before but I don't recall them hugging in S1.

(edited)

THAT hug! Yep, definitely the first hug and fuel for a thousand fics, LOL! And of course, at the end of this episode was Slade's monologue and the camera pans to Felicity when he talks about those Oliver's loves. Sigh. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 9
(edited)

There's so much touching between them before that that it's almost shocking to realize they didn't have their first hug until 209.

31a4ff6402944124dadfc716513e22e9.gif

tumblr_nlgu8yasGv1s2prmyo1_250.gif

USTy-Olicity.gif

latest?cb=20160319134209

giphy.gif

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 17
47 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

This isn't a vertical hug, but they've got their arms around each other and full body contract, so... ;)

giphy.gif

You know, I watch this episode again and I wonder how some people can still think Olicity came out of left field in the S2 finale or in Season 3. I may not have been sure that Olicity became "endgame," but I sure as heck realized the show was pivoting away from the other ship from the very first scenes of Season 2.

• Love 12

I honestly think some people were so wedded to comic book canon that they couldn't let themselves believe that the show would diverge from it, in spite of Felicity's popularity and chemistry with Oliver. They were convinced that the show would just pander to fans by throwing in shippy Olicity moments here and there, but keep Oliver and Laurel as  the show's canon couple.  There are people who still think that, despite everything, LOL.

• Love 12

I'm not sure how this happened exactly but I was rewatching Friends and that made me want to revisit season 2.  I'm still in the early episodes and it's really great (Sin, Sara's sonic bombs, Q's snark, OTA back when they were still OTA), but I'm realizing something that I didn't pick up on the first time around.  Namely that Amell and Caity getting along in real life had a direct impact on my personal investment.  Obviously, Amell adores Ramsay and Emily the most, hence OTA being everything.  But, while Amell and Caity will never be vacation buddies, it's clear they enjoy working together and that plus the story is part of why I fell so hard for Sara that season.  It's also why I never had an issue with their characters hooking up in the second half.  I never thought they'd be endgame so I was able to enjoy it for what it was.  It's a good thing Felicity exists because otherwise Oliver and Sara would be my pick for show OTP and I'd end up being super annoying in my shipping.  But Felicity's existence means Sara is not OTP which resulted in the relationship evolving into a solid friendship that Amell and Caity both demonstrate well during those few crossover moments. 

I'm guessing they had Caity to a chem test with Amell and they saw what I'm seeing.  I know they said they were making a point of doing that after the pilot was picked up but I can't remember if they did it with every new actor brought to the show.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 8:37 PM, lemotomato said:

The 100th episode was a big juicy steak given to O/L fans that had subsisted on bones or starved for the better part of 3 seasons, so it’s going to sustain them for a while. 

LOL a big juicy steak of Olicity written flirtations.  I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at LOLivers using that episode as it meaning something. 

When you have to use cues from the OTP of the show then you got nothing for LOLiver. 

Edited by EmilyBettFan
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm guessing they had Caity to a chem test with Amell and they saw what I'm seeing.  I know they said they were making a point of doing that after the pilot was picked up but I can't remember if they did it with every new actor brought to the show.

I think after the KC/SA fiasco, they chem tested all the planned potential love interests. IIRC, Caity chem tested with Katrina Law before she was cast as Nyssa. 

Interestingly enough, according to EBR, the first time she met SA was on set right before they filmed the bit for 103. So technically they didn't do a chem test either. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I think after the KC/SA fiasco, they chem tested all the planned potential love interests. IIRC, Caity chem tested with Katrina Law before she was cast as Nyssa. 

Interestingly enough, according to EBR, the first time she met SA was on set right before they filmed the bit for 103. So technically they didn't do a chem test either. 

Didn't need it she's just too adorable ?

• Love 1