Type keyword(s) to search

Heartaches, Bromances, True Love and Team Arrow: the Relationships Thread

quarks
  • Start Topic

6 seasons in and I still have no idea how many days jump during the episode

I interpreted things like this:

*Felicity tutors William, he asks her to tutor him again

*I then assumed that she did tutor him a few more times, leading him to get an A

*Oliver visits Felicity with key. Gives Felicity key as a sign that they are getting back together full throttle and I assume he is going to have a conversation with William along the lines of "You know Felicity your tutor? The one that you think is cool? Well we used to be engaged, long story, it was complicated but I am totally going to marry her now buddy."

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I guess they were afraid he could think they were trying to replace his mom?

I think that's what they were going for.

It's hard enough for William to suddenly have to accept Oliver as his father.  To have a strange woman living with his father in the place that his mother should have been in (in a perfect world) might have made his new reality even more difficult to deal with.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, bijoux said:

The quirky thing Felicity has done there was shamelessly ogling Oliver in various states of undress. And let's get real, that's not pining, it's just common sense.

I'm too lazy to look it up but did she build the new lair in S2 and then said something to him about keeping the salmon ladder?

Or was that in one of the later seasons?

• Love 1

That was in season 2. In season 3, we had Caitlin asking Felicity what Sally was for in the first (and superior) crossover, and Felicity replying, To distract [her] from work. Season 4 had her coming upon Oliver doing it and commenting she was so glad they're back, and season 5 had the 'hot, I mean, not' moment. And of course, there was 520. Really, looking back, Sally has been an active and constant participant in Oliver and Felicity's love story since the start.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 11

I watch those early scenes and look back on the show and sometimes I can't believe where we are.

When I started Arrow I honestly thought I was shipping something that would never happen. I thought they would always tease Olicity but the show would never leave their original plan. I was fully prepared to live my shipping preferences in fanfic.

And yet here we are. Kisses, proposals, heart to hearts, I love yous. 

I'm all melty over this ship.

• Love 19

Their chemistry is incredible.

I have always swooned over the earlier seasons and they have always had amazing chemistry but 603 was just crazy levels! 

I honestly thought they had reached their peak and I was perfectly content with that because it was glorious but then 603!!!! *happy sigh*

• Love 7

There have been three Arrow lairs (iirc) and the salmon ladder has survived the move to each one...

1. Oliver set up his first lair in the basement of an old Queen Consolidated factory (the "Foundry"). During the summer between S1 and S2, Felicity made improvements to this lair, which she showed to Oliver at the beginning of S2 after she and Diggle retrieved him from Lian Yu. Unfortunately, Quentin and the SCPD found and raided this lair.*
  2. The second Arrow lair was located on a lower level of Palmer Tech, that was accessible only by a special elevator.
  3. The third and current Arrow lair is the brand new bunker (the "Bunker") that was built under Oliver's mayoral campaign headquarters.

(* In Season 2, we found out that Oliver had a backup lair that he hid in during his mother's memorial service. ARGUS knew about it, however, and that's how Diggle and Felicity found him. I don't recall, or maybe the show never said, what happened to this secondary lair.)

Olicity's Salmon Ladder Highlights:

118 (Salvation) – A shirtless Oliver worked out on the salmon ladder high above Felicity’s head, while she watched.

201 (City of Heroes) – Felicity showed Oliver an upgraded Arrowcave and gave him a new compound bow:
(Oliver looks at salmon ladder.)
Felicity: "I kept that. I liked watching you do that."

The Flash 104 (Going Rogue) – Felicity gave Barry a pep talk in which she mentioned the salmon ladder:
Felicity: “Barry, when you met us – me, Oliver and Digg, we were this well-oiled archery machine. But it didn’t start out that way. And unlike you guys, we weren’t tossed together overnight. We came together one at a time. Believe me, it took much more than watching Oliver do the salmon ladder to make me trust him.

308 (The Brave and the Bold) – Caitlin and Cisco visited Felicity, and Caitlin asked about the salmon ladder: 
Caitlin (pointing to salmon ladder): “Hey, what's that for?”
Felicity (sighing): “Distracting me from work.”

308 (The Brave and the Bold) – Caitlin and Felicity watched Barry do the salmon ladder in the Arrow lair at super speed:
Caitlin: “How often does Oliver do this?” 
Felicity: “At least every Wednesday. There's a lot of sweating.” 
Barry: “I don't see what's so hard about that.”

404 (Beyond Redemption) – Felicity entered the Arrow lair to see a shirtless Oliver working out on the salmon ladder:
Felicity: "Ohh. Oh, I am so glad we came back."

502 (The Recruits) – Curtis tried the salmon ladder, but then Oliver did it while wearing his business suit:
Curtis: "How does he do this?"
Oliver: "It's all in the core. So, Curtis - I'm guessing this wasn't part of your Olympic training." 
(Oliver then does the salmon ladder while still wearing his business suit)
Curtis: "Impossible."
Felicity: "It's really hot - I mean, not. It's not."

520 (Underneath) – In flashback scene, Oliver taught Felicity how to do the salmon ladder; and then Oliver & Felicity had sex:
(Felicity is trying the salmon ladder, while Oliver watches.)
Felicity: "Remind me again why I thought this was going to be a fun idea."
Oliver: "I don't know. Hop down. Hop down. (She jumps down) Excuse me. (He stands under the salmon ladder) Right. Okay. So. This is just a chin-up."
Felicity: "Okay."
Oliver: "Everybody knows a chin-up."
Felicity: "Well..."
Oliver (demonstrating): "It's a chin-up. With a flourish. At the end." (Jumps down)
Felicity: "Yeah. I can't do a chin-up."
Oliver (smiling, crooks his finger): "C'mere.
Felicity (going over): "Um. I don't flourish well."
Oliver: "I believe in you. Ready?" (Lifts her up to the bottom rung of the salmon ladder)
Felicity: "Oh! Oh my god. Hey! I'm chinning and upping!"
Oliver (laughs): "Okay."
Felicity: "Oh, oww!"
Oliver: "Alright."
Felicity: "Okay."
Oliver: "Ready?"
Felicity: "Yeah."
Oliver: "One! Two! Three! Go!"
Felicity (trying to lift up and failing): "Nope! Nope, nope! Help, help! That's too high."
Oliver (going over to grab her): "I gotcha. I gotcha, honey."
(They look at each when they're almost nose-to-nose in a clinch, and then awkwardly disengage.)
Felicity: "Uh. Yeah. I kinda did it. I think."
Oliver (stepping back): "Sure."
Felicity: "There's the chin-up part I think we can work on."
Oliver: "You did a half of one."
Felicity: "A half. I'll take a half. (Oliver laughs) Sorry. I don't think that's really my thing."
Oliver: "In all fairness, you've had a little bit to drink."
Felicity: "I had a lot to drink." (Kisses him)
(They kiss and remove each other's shirts, Oliver lifts Felicity, and they move to the floor of the mat, smiling at each other.)

520 (Underneath) - Oliver, while carrying Felicity on his back, climbed up the elevator shaft ladder, to get to Diggle:
Felicity: "I've always appreciated you doing the salmon ladder, but never as much as this moment."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

I watch those early scenes and look back on the show and sometimes I can't believe where we are.

When I started Arrow I honestly thought I was shipping something that would never happen. I thought they would always tease Olicity but the show would never leave their original plan. I was fully prepared to live my shipping preferences in fanfic.

In season one I was 50/50 that they would happen but I remember by 2x06/2x07 I felt pretty confident they were setting Olicity up for a slow burn to endgame. Really I was more surprised by how quick they got them in a relationship. Any other show and Olicity probably would have only just started being together in season 5-6.

• Love 3

Yeah I think it's really to do with people's expectations for this kind of thing.A lot of shows and movies usually do the whole nerdy girl pines for the hot guy thing so a lot of people jumped to that when Felicity showed even the slightest bit of attraction to Oliver and because olicity seemed impossible because comics any attraction Oliver showed was ignored or written off as nothing.I like that the writers didn't go that way and Felicity never pined but always moved on with her life and refused to settle and is a lot less insecure about herself than people wanted to believe in the first 2 seasons.I feel like season 3 should have killed the Felicity pined and was friendzoned narrative for good because it's so obviously opposite of that and showed the attraction was mutual from the start and that Oliver was way further gone for her and was just better at hiding it for a while so it's weird to me when I see someone still claiming that.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 4

Yeah I've read some really well written fics where Felicity is extremely insecure and has a whole "How could Oliver like someone like me" thing going.

The good thing is that seemed to be the stuff written during the earlier seasons. I think the show has done well to establish that she is pretty confident and lets Oliver know what she wants. 

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the media thread but, the suggestion was to bring it here.

I get very annoyed with this claim because it's been going on Since S1 and it never changed even though it doesn't have a basis in fact/show. I've seen it so often and have thought about it for years and I think it comes down to a few things.

1. It's all Smallville's fault! Sort of. One of the biggest arguments against Olicity in the summer after S1, was that Clark/Chloe never happened therefore Olicity could never happen. Logic being Oliver HAS to be with Laurel because comics! Just like Clark could only get with Lana and Lois because comics! 

<snip>

3. The Hot Jock/Nerd Girl Trope (again Smallville's fault). <snip>Meanwhile the geeky/nerdy girl crushes on Hot Jock but he never sees her as anything other than a sidekick (Clark/Chloe).

<snip>

I hate to boil it all down to Because Comics or Smallville Sucks! But I do believe both of those contributed to how early media, fans, etc regarded Olicity/Felicity and how that initial mistaken view (based on preconceived notions) continues to play into how Felicity is constantly referred to as "pining" for Oliver. 

Them’s fighting Woirds, @Morrigan2575! You take that back!!!???

Stupid AlMiles didn’t even give them a chance! It was a Big Giant Tease that they didn’t follow through on! Clark has those feelings, but his obsession with that Pink Pestilence kept getting in the way. And whenever anyone else looked Chloe’s way, the Green Monster reared its HUGE HEAD. They clearly weren’t following comics, but allowed to have it be its own universe (this changed when the original runners left and the new ones decided to pull a lightswitch and change everything because COMICS!??) Paging @BkWurm1!!!

I have to disagree with No. 3 because Clark didn’t become a jock until his senior year. They were the Scooby Gang until Pete left at the end of season three, And then we got that awful Reincarnation and Witch Season and the rage inducing turning Dean Jason into Uber Evuhl.  And the introduction of arrogant, obnoxious, grating “Lois.” 

As bad as Smallville ended up, it paved the way for Berlanti and company. A good number of Smallville writers and producers and directors ended up on this show, Flash and Supergirl.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Yeah I've read some really well written fics where Felicity is extremely insecure and has a whole "How could Oliver like someone like me" thing going.

The good thing is that seemed to be the stuff written during the earlier seasons. I think the show has done well to establish that she is pretty confident and lets Oliver know what she wants. 

I’m really glad to see that that has faded a bit in fics, but I still see it. It bothers me so much. I can read a fic where Oliver is a cheating asshole, Felicity is a ditz, and Dig is a total Lauriver fan, and the most rage inducing part would be Felicity not being able to believe that Oliver could like a nerd like her. (That sentence does not describe an actual fic I’ve read, although I’ve read each of those things in separate fics.) 

I think that whole idea of Felicity being insecure about Oliver’s affections definitely comes from preconceived notions and expectations of a stereotypical jock/nerd romance. (Which isn’t even what Olicity are, but I digress.)  The only time I can ever remember Felicity being insecure was when Sara joined the team, and that had nothing to do with physical attractiveness or romantic feelings. 

• Love 1

Yeah, if anyone ever pined, it was definitely Oliver. He spent damn near all of Season 3 brooding over the fact that he couldn't be with Felicity and being jealous of Ray. By contrast, pretty much every time he's disappointed her relationship-wise, she's been full of resolve to move on with her life.

In any case, I'm just glad he's finally gotten his ish together. Like he said during their dinner, he's ready now. We are all ready now, Oliver!

• Love 14

I have a theory! And it's from watching bits of S3 quite a few times.

I find that Felicity gives Oliver her all and puts up with a lot until she hits that point where she can't give any more (and she shouldn't imo!) so she shuts down and moves on when he does something to push her over the edge.

In S2 she supported him fully with Slade, didn't give him grief over his "I love you", helped him try to get his company back over summer. When the date blew up in early S3 and he was dangling maybes and wanting to die alone, Felicity tried to move on.

Then end of S3 she forgave him pretending to kill them all plus all the other dumb shit he did in S3 and ran off with him.

Then we have BMD in S4 which pushed her over the edge again and she walked off.

Bunker sex was a moment of weakness. I felt like she didn't have any hope for them, any hope that he would ever be truthful with her so she moved on and tried to be happy with the lamest candidate possible.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Honestly, I could have done with some more pining on Felicity's  part  She moved on to Billy awfully fast.

I had no problems with how she moved on to Billy, like even if she had that talk with Oliver that afternoon, then met and hooked up with Billy that night I still wouldn't have had a problem. I just needed to know the why and how. But Arrow was never interested in providing that.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Them’s fighting Woirds, @Morrigan2575! You take that back!!!???

Stupid AlMiles didn’t even give them a chance! It was a Big Giant Tease that they didn’t follow through on! Clark has those feelings, but his obsession with that Pink Pestilence kept getting in the way. And whenever anyone else looked Chloe’s way, the Green Monster reared its HUGE HEAD. They clearly weren’t following comics, but allowed to have it be its own universe (this changed when the original runners left and the new ones decided to pull a lightswitch and change everything because COMICS!??) Paging @BkWurm1!!!

I have to disagree with No. 3 because Clark didn’t become a jock until his senior year. They were the Scooby Gang until Pete left at the end of season three, And then we got that awful Reincarnation and Witch Season and the rage inducing turning Dean Jason into Uber Evuhl.  And the introduction of arrogant, obnoxious, grating “Lois.” 

As bad as Smallville ended up, it paved the way for Berlanti and company. A good number of Smallville writers and producers and directors ended up on this show, Flash and Supergirl.

I agree that Clark was never the stereotypical jock on Smallville.  I mean he spent the first three seasons wanting to play football but not being allowed and in in the pilot, he’s strung up like a scarecrow BY the football team.  Early on, the show more often than not treated Clark like he was a geek and that no one could see how hot he was (except for Chloe)   But of course just the fact that dude becomes Superman elevates his status in everyone’s minds.  Season4 he did join the team and that was the year Lois showed up on the show but while she was dismissing him as a dumb jock farmboy, Chloe was the one believing in him and knowing he could do more with his life.   Chloe wasn’t a cheerleader (except when drugged on kryptonite laced Gatorade) but she wasn’t portrayed as lesser because of it.  Season one Clark was crushing mutually back on her and while no romantic relationship was ever explored after the first season beyond one off episodes, the show established early on that Clark was attracted to her.  

Smallville suffers from its own rewritten history and denial in great part because while the show did explicitly tease a romantic relationship between Clark and Chloe up through the beginning of season six and even after that still peppered seasons with declarations of love and comments about being more than friends and acts of jealousy on Clark’s part, the show had comic destiny hanging over it’s head and it I think translated into many viewers dismissing things that actually happened as not counting or being misread because even the possibility upset the expected narrative.   Which of course was very much what was happening in seasons 1&2 on Arrow.  

When I watched Smallville I frequently said that on any other show the stuff that was constantly teased would translate down the road into a full blown romance, even the end game ship.   And when I watched Arrow, the same damn thing started happening, lol.  All my tv viewer instincts screamed Olicity was going to happen but ten years of Smallville’s mindgames taught me that “because comics” could trump all logic and to remain wary.

I was sooooo sure after 2A that Olicity was going to happen and then there was this horrible stretch in the back half where I was half convinced they’d abandoned their plans, just like Smallville seemed to do over and over, ignoring all the groundwork they might have been laying.  And then we got those final handful of episodes culminating in the not Fake, fake I love you.   

Arrow and Olicity basically has retroactively vindicated everything I picked up and expected from Smallville and the teased Chloe/Chlark ship.  It proved IMO that yes, “on any other show” Chloe would not have been relegated to friends only status so even though in the end, Smallville didn’t go there, I can’t so easily dismiss that it didn’t WANT to go there.  The show runners have even admitted how real a possibility they kept it long after Lois aka comic canon was introduced.   What was happening episode to episode and season to season was more complicated and up in the air than the very comic canon friendly ending indicates and because of how gung ho the new show runners brought in in the last few seasons were in lining up the show to canon , so much of what came before now gets dismissed or reframed in a way as to suggest it never was happening.

With Arrow and the the claims that Felicity pined, we instead get claims of something happening that never happened but I agree it comes from Smallville and the because comics narrative that got locked down when Smallville finally went off air.  Felicity, in many minds, was SUPPOSED to have pinned in the background only getting the occasional supposedly meaningless ship tease to keep stringing viewers along.  So even though full on epic love happened (as it should have) some still can’t let go of their expectations.

Or at least that’s my theory.  

???

• Love 7

I think there are several reasons why Clark/Chloe was always much less likely to happen than Olicity.

1) SA and KC’s chemistry is sooo bad. Tom Welling and KK/ED had pretty decent chemistry. 

2) SA and EBR’s chemistry is sooo good. TW and AM had good chemistry, but I never thought it was off the charts, and it didn’t have an example of bad chemistry to be compared favorably against. 

3) No matter what any GA fans say, Clark Kent and Lois Lane are a billion times more iconic than GA/BC will ever be. There was a level of expectation that Clark would eventually end up with Lois that didn’t exist for Oliver/Laurel in Arrow. Half the people who watched the pilot probably didn’t even know who Laurel was. 

Anyway, all this talk is making me think about how tired the pining nerd(or art kid/otherwise uncool clique)/confident jock(or cheerleader) cliche is. I’d like to see more popular/jock character pines after nerdy/uncool but confident character stories. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

So maybe some of the Arrow writers did pay attention to stuff in the past. Or at least the ones who wrote "Reversal." Here's an excellent gif set of the many callbacks to Oliver & Felicity's history. They sure did pack them in (some examples):

tumblr_oyygyubzXk1upkpglo1_500.gif

tumblr_oyygyubzXk1upkpglo2_500.gif

tumblr_oyygyubzXk1upkpglo3_500.gif

I don't know, does this make up for repeatedly having to hear "in my your bones"? ?

Edited by leopardprint
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm rewatching Olicity scenes from S3 in anticipation of various events. *sniffles*

So many feels! Especially when he asks her to go away with him. 

Going to start of my Raylicity scenes next! 

BEST SEASON EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it when he asks her to go away with him.  It's really the most perfectly logical choice in the moment.  But does retroactively also make me sad for what he loses in season four and even now, I am really curious about how he ever can happily put the suit on again.  Right now he's telling himself it's just temporary so it doesn't count but I have to assume that changes down the line.  I hope they do it in a way where he realizes that with a balanced approach and NO SECRETS with his loved ones, he can have it all.  Of course him lying to William will come to bite him in the butt. I wonder if the season will end with William refusing to live with him and moving in with his Grandparents for the summer.  (Or forever if they want to make him a single season character)

• Love 10

Ooh good speculation about William @BkWurm1. Oliver will be so sad though and I don't want him to be sad *cries*

I'm totally loving the s3 heart eyes and pining tortured looks. 

Just saw "and you know how I feel about her". Then they show Felicity and you can see her shut down. 

And the scene where she kisses him on the cheek to thank him. Sooooo loaded. Gawd it was a great season. 

I spin around like a yoyo when I watch it, mainly because I ship the entire triangle.

9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Of course him lying to William will come to bite him in the butt. I wonder if the season will end with William refusing to live with him and moving in with his Grandparents for the summer.  (Or forever if they want to make him a single season character)

Well since they did drop the grandparents nod in ep 1 or 2 he's probably going to be staying with them at some point. It might just be a one ep appearance (like Raisa - again) and he'll be visiting whenever they need him to be off screen for a string of eps. Or he'll be a 1 season character and live with them more permanently. I wonder if they writers know which yet? 

8 hours ago, Featherhat said:

I wonder if they writers know which yet? 

Yeah, me too.  That's a question maybe people could start asking SA at cons.  Jack Moore, the kid, I don't think is considered a regular so budget wise, maybe that would give them more flexibility in having him on the show when they could in future seasons but per some EBR interview, I think she said he lives like three hours away.  I can't imagine making that drive for years.  

On 11/4/2017 at 10:52 AM, Chaser said:

In S1 I said TPTB should go there but I also didn't know how far it would go. I thought maybe they'll date then break up forever but stay friends. Then of course Oliver marries Laurel close to the end of the series. But I'm also happy it went a different way. ???

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

In S1 I said TPTB should go there but I also didn't know how far it would go. I thought maybe they'll date then break up forever but stay friends. Then of course Oliver marries Laurel close to the end of the series. But I'm also happy it went a different way. ???

When I binge watched the first two seasons, I had this great moment of joy when I realized (to use a Smallville analogy) they weren't going the Clark/Chloe route with Olicity, they were going the Oliver/Chloe route. 

• Love 7

It's so weird for me because I saw Felicity with Barry first and thought she was sooooo cute with him. Once I realised she was actually the female lead of Arrow I decided to watch it for her but didn't go mental about the ship yet. I was content to just watch it for Felicity. 

Then I saw a few scenes of Olicity together and it was like "OMG omg omg these people are made for each other, I haven't seen this kind of chemistry in 20 years. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

It's so weird for me because I saw Felicity with Barry first and thought she was sooooo cute with him. Once I realised she was actually the female lead of Arrow I decided to watch it for her but didn't go mental about the ship yet. I was content to just watch it for Felicity. 

Then I saw a few scenes of Olicity together and it was like "OMG omg omg these people are made for each other, I haven't seen this kind of chemistry in 20 years. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Did you see her on The Flash, or was it Barry's intro on Arrow?

40 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Did you see her on The Flash, or was it Barry's intro on Arrow?

Flash ep 4 was my first time seeing her.  The Flash was my intro to Arrowverse.

Train scene was so weird for me because I hadn't seen her with this Oliver fellow that she supposedly had a thing for. I thought she was super cute with Barry and was sad she wasn't actually on The Flash.

• Love 1

I think my first moment when I suspected they MIGHT actually do something with the chemistry between Oliver and Felicity, was in the episode when she shows up to some party in that short gold dress with her hair down and Oliver gets this LOOK on his face.  It was nearly a double take and the camera lingered on her.  I was already enjoying the potential of what might happen without any belief something would happen but that moment gave me that first real boost of hope something actually might.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 13

I LOVED that scene! I loved the looks on both Oliver and Diggle's faces!

Oliver totally had this LOOK like you said. Diggle looked like he thought she was pretty in a brotherly way.

Haha I remember complimenting DR's acting to Hubby because I'd just look like a perve if I saw her in that dress. I liked his face in contrast to Oliver's. Diggle thought she was pretty but he wasn't attracted to her. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Diggle looked like he thought she was pretty in a brotherly way.

Haha I remember complimenting DR's acting to Hubby because I'd just look like a perve if I saw her in that dress. I liked his face in contrast to Oliver's. Diggle thought she was pretty but he wasn't attracted to her. 

I have to give credit to the writers and DR/EBR because they established that brother/sister vibe so quickly. Like, Oliver had interacted with Felicity a lot before bringing her into the fold, but Diggle had only had a couple of scenes where he showed appreciation for Felicity's attitude toward Oliver. Then "Odyssey" comes around and they save Oliver's life together and bond and it just works. The next episode, I have no trouble buying Felicity's teasing him about his love life or thinking she's pretty without seeming attracted to her. Then whenever they have those little moments of affection, like the the kiss on the cheek in Russia in season 2, they consistently read as a brother/sister chemistry and nothing else.

God, I need more Delicity scenes.

• Love 20

After re-watching the above 1x03 clip of Oliver meeting Felicity for the first time, I hate even to mention this - but... 

Felicity even made evil Earth-X Oliver smile - just not in a good way. (I wonder if this smile was scripted or ad-libbed by SA.) 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3