Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: 7pm - 8pm

Mullins and CTU search for Carter; Andy must do something against his will; Rebecca's interrogation techniques make Donovan question her judgment; Isaac looks to his friends for help.

Eh, Eric's plan was a bust. Isaac coming back is what flipped the script- and no way could Eric have counted on Isaac's help. He got lucky.

Andy did indeed come through. Boo to no Tandy reunion kiss. 

Mullins and Rebecca both came up with zip in their stories. Mullins not taking a stand on the missile sortie- which ended up being a waste of a missile since everyone got out and Major Dad not giving up anything on his connection to the terrorist. Both need to turn the corner to show what they're kickass at and soon. As does Locke.  So far they've been a step behind or 'wrong' in the narrative. 

John not knowing what Rebecca's job entails doesn't fly. 

Isaac and Nicole for the win. He took out the assassins, got the address for Eric, rallied his bannermen, and took care of business. Gotta say, they did better than CTU! Maybe Issac needs to be their field ops guy.

• Love 3

Good for poor old Andy. Dude won the "facial expression of the hour" prize when he was told about the missile strike.

I didn't know Oded Fehr was going to be on this show! Wild.

• Love 2

The destroyed building was very nicely shot. I did laugh at the "We are going to destroy a tiny flash drive with a huge missile," strategy. Likewise with the CTU Perimeter, because they always work.

How can Eric possibly be up walking around at this point?

So is that the end of Tony’s role? He just guest star to torture a guy?

Edited by marinw

That grenade scene was totally bogus.  Even a flashbang would have knocked people to the ground, given a huge headache, and temporary blindness--and then if it were a real grenade...

Apparently Nisr is the "big bad".  OK, who is he?

Should the terrorists be wearing red shirts?

Given Eric's misadventure(s) it seems he should be detained, cuffed, and interrogated at CTU HQ at the start of the next episode.  It's not like he actually has any authority or is "part of the team" to use as an "Jack Bauer excuse" for his actions.

4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I liked when the woman told Andy to get out of there and he was like "you think?" Ha.

I'll credit David Fury for that one. He's one of Joss Whedon's proteges, hence master of the deadpan snark in the midst of extreme danger.

3 hours ago, Stratego said:

That grenade scene was totally bogus.  Even a flashbang would have knocked people to the ground, given a huge headache, and temporary blindness--and then if it were a real grenade...

Apparently Nisr is the "big bad".  OK, who is he?

Should the terrorists be wearing red shirts?

I thought Carter was going to throw the grenade over to the computer table and blow up Andy, the flash drive and the terror-IT guy.

As for this new dude, Nasir... I have the feeling he's a good guy turned bad. Like he was once an asset but he double crossed the US and got a bunch of people killed... As Jidallah (quoting my favorite T-888 terminators) said, we'll see.

The terrorists should certainly be wearing red shirts... and brown pants.

Edit: might have also caught a super-sly reference to 90's gangsta rap, although it's a Snoop Dogg song rather than Dr. Dre (Dre being played by Corey Hawkins in Straight Outta Compton)... the casualty count for the bridge attack was 187. All because Officer Jenkins didn't go for the kill shot. So that's 187 on a muthafuckin' cop?

Edited by dwmarch
2 hours ago, cigar95 said:

I can't recall - have we seen him before this episode?

No. And Team Bin Khalid knows him by a completely different alias than Carter does.

6 hours ago, marinw said:

Hook up with Rebecca....she sees now that Donovan is not POTUS material and has no reason to stay with him...

• Love 2

This season is terrible, so I guess it really is a legacy with 24. How many eps have been spent now fiddling with this flash drive? And another Carter endangers the world to bait a bad guy out of hiding gambit we're supposed to view as heroic and not insanely stupid? At least Jacks insanely stupid plans usually only ended in him being tortured, not the nation at large. Are we sure Carter isn't the mole? I mean, I guess the main mole has to be Mullens/Rebecca, since we got that setup, but he has betrayed his country for his wife who doesn't even seem to like him several times now.

None of these stories land. CarterWife-Bro are in cougar country, the family dynamics on the Smits side are too undercooked to play as anything but filler, and far away and easily the worst CTU characters of any season, certainly starting with but not ending at everything Andy. I'm surprised his character name isn't Gay McJewerson, since his only traits are broad stereotypes. 

Also, the Carter busts out of the chair to go for grenades was some of the worst staging there's been on this show. It took a laughably long time for that play out. And did we even get a token reason they didn't just kill him right away? 

And dont these sleeper cells know that they are sleeper cells? So can't they just make a Youtube vid saying "Flash drive gone. Activate!"?

Ugg.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, NoirDetective said:

did we even get a token reason they didn't just kill him right away? 

I think Bin Khalid Jr wanted Carter to see Andy die first... 

24. Failing to establish 'perimeters' since 2001. 

I actually thought this was an ok episode compared to the rest of the season. Kind of rolling my eyes about there being another big bad after the whole season was about that one family that I won't try to spell. But I suppose that's standard fare for 24.

• Love 4

AFAIC, Carter is a lone wolf idiot. He's not trained to do this CIA black ops stuff he's trying to do and mainly operates on emotion driven by personal factors. Meanwhile, his ineptitude basically helps the terrorists until some other entity shows up to save the day. I'm watching to see all the ways he's going to keep failing forward after he makes his patriotic speeches which accomplish nothing.

Yay, Andy made it out alive despite Carter's efforts to get him killed. Not sure why the person who found him in the rubble needed to be the guy who spurned him romantically.

How does Rebecca have the authority to be renditioning people? Not that it wasn't appropriate or necessary but what gives her the official right? Meanwhile, why would the Senator want to watch his father being tortured? And then the whole thing was for naught anyway since they got nothing out of old man Donovan.

I think the British guy playing Isaac really should quit with the "urban speak." (Or the writers should stop putting it in his lines.) I had to laugh at the way he kept saying "aight?" Idris Elba playing Stringer Bell he is not.

Oded Fehr is Israeli by birth and usually doesn't play stereotypical Middle Eastern terrorists. I was surprised to see him playing one here. Hope he's getting paid well.

Maybe Issac needs to be their field ops guy.

Right? I keep wondering why that actor wasn't cast as the lead. Not enough name recognition, I guess.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oded Fehr is Israeli by birth and usually doesn't play stereotypical Middle Eastern terrorists. I was surprised to see him playing one here. Hope he's getting paid well.

You missed the Showtime series called "Sleeper Cell" He was a cell leader masquerading as a Jew in L.A. Michael Ealy was a Muslim FBI agent assigned to infiltrate the cell.

• Love 2

You missed the Showtime series called "Sleeper Cell" He was a cell leader masquerading as a Jew in L.A. Michael Ealy was a Muslim FBI agent assigned to infiltrate the cell.

Nope, I was aware of Sleeper Cell and saw some of the episodes, hence the use of "usually" versus "never" in my post. That role was over ten years ago and the show only lasted two seasons. Fehr generally hasn't played that kind of role since and I'm still surprised he's doing it now. Heh, maybe we'll find out Naseri's deep undercover for the Mossad and this is yet another thing Carter is wrong about.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

Can someone please confirm that I am not crazy-When Andy called the woman (cant remember her name) back at CTU, she said he had less than 30 MINUTES to escape, but the explosion happened within like 30 SECONDS. I was super confused because I thought they had more time to get out. Was this an actual error in her lines, or did I misunderstand something?

18 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

^Mariana said they had 3 minutes to get out. 

I think someone in this forum said Mariana is a mole, why would she tell them to get out? Was it to save the flash drive? :/

Thanks!! I was totally thrown off!

On 3/20/2017 at 6:34 PM, marinw said:

The destroyed building was very nicely shot. I did laugh at the "We are going to destroy a tiny flash drive with a huge missile," strategy. Likewise with the CTU Perimeter, because they always work.

How can Eric possibly be up walking around at this point?

I think it was just to have someone from the classic show. Considering their age by the time they went through the Rangers/Special Forces to join CTU Bauer's associates, soldiers and techs with a new generation emerging are no longer the top at the game. As for Eric. he is the lead of 24

On 3/20/2017 at 6:14 PM, TobinAlbers said:

Eh, Eric's plan was a bust. Isaac coming back is what flipped the script- and no way could Eric have counted on Isaac's help. He got lucky.

snip.

Isaac and Nicole for the win. He took out the assassins, got the address for Eric, rallied his bannermen, and took care of business. Gotta say, they did better than CTU! Maybe Issac needs to be their field ops guy.

I was thinking that after watching special ops/SWAT on TV it was a trip to watch them walk in Omar style and take down a terrorist cell

I was surprised that Oded Fehr didn't run into/kidnap Nicole on the way out, as she just randomly taken out of the action and left with a non-regular who I assumed would be killed! She's been really capable through most of this, but tradition requires the loved-one-in-peril to up the stakes.

Tony was Special Guest Torturer? That was silly. Plus, if you're going to do "enhanced interrogation", it's supposedly because you are running out of time, and traditional, more polite means won't work. That took a long enough amount of time for last episode's "good-bye" scenes, the calling for a missile strike, Isaac's crew to get there and be persuaded, etc. They need to rethink.

Wasn't Nicole in the building where she and Isaac battled the terrorists who tailed them?  Isaac wouldn't bring her back to terrorist central.

As for Oded Fehr, we know next to nothing about his character, he could be a white hat for all we know.  That scene he had with Carter, he may have been afraid Carter was blowing his cover.  On the other hand, OF could be Tony's BFF

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1

Hipster Kid Terrorist proving he was the smartest man in the room was actually unexpected and rather impressive.  (Andy officially becoming the new Chloe, a little less so...but still.  Dan Bucatinsky basically has to be expressive enough for two people, Andy and Eric, and he's actually doing it.)  That said, as perhaps inevitable as it was, Action Bae's big "Family used to mean something" speech to help Isaac rally CTU: Urban Division was just a bit too sledgehammerily schmaltzy for my taste...see also HKT's entire monologue to Eric, also inevitable as that was.  OTOH, the shootout between CTUUD and HKT's men was fairly well done...even allowing for Isaac just striding in like a boss with a shotgun.  Because of course he would.

Pa Donovan not giving anything up to Rebecca and Almeida...I don't know where that leads at this point, apart from the fact that John's uncle whatshisface's involvement in all of this still hasn't been outed yet.  But with the events in the rest of the ep, it ultimately felt like space filler and that wasn't cool.

And yet the entire episode kind of got eclipsed by Wait, That's Not The Big Bad After All, This Is! (but, hey, Oded Fehr!) and that split-second shot of Mariana transmitting a "data pack."  Mole check?

On 3/20/2017 at 9:14 PM, TobinAlbers said:

Isaac and Nicole for the win.

7 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

She's been really capable through most of this, but tradition requires the loved-one-in-peril to up the stakes.

Bah.  She's been "damselled", complete with trip during the get-away since her set-to with Aisha.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:28 AM, dwmarch said:

I thought Carter was going to throw the grenade over to the computer table and blow up Andy, the flash drive and the terror-IT guy.

That was his plan.  Bur as usual, he's an idiot and doesn't figure out ahead of time the steps he needs to do that.  "Hey, there's a box of grenades!  I'm sure they won't mind if I help myself.  So what if there are three guys between me and the box? What's the worst that could happen?"

On 3/21/2017 at 8:12 AM, NoirDetective said:

Did we even get a token reason they didn't just kill him right away? 

And dont these sleeper cells know that they are sleeper cells? So can't they just make a Youtube vid saying "Flash drive gone. Activate!"?

Why didn't HKT kill Eric: PLOT!!!!!!!

How would the sleeper cells know which video to watch?

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Because the terrorists would title it "Attention allay eeperslay ellscay"!  :)

لاهتمام الطين  إيبيرسلاي إلزكاي !!!

• Love 2

Loved the show so far but this latest episode was ridiculous in the big plot point of the missile strike by the DOD. As everyone should know, the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 prevents the use of the military/federal forces within the United States for any law enforcement activities. Thus there is NO WAY that the DOD could have military jets drop a bomb or that missiles as described in the episode could be used in the fashion depicted.

Come on 24 Legacy writers. Give the audience some credit.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, BXD said:

Can someone please confirm that I am not crazy-When Andy called the woman (cant remember her name) back at CTU, she said he had less than 30 MINUTES to escape, but the explosion happened within like 30 SECONDS. I was super confused because I thought they had more time to get out. Was this an actual error in her lines, or did I misunderstand something?

no she said he had less than 3 minutes... even so as I stated already the whole missile thing was nonsense since it would be illegal for the DOD to do such a thing without first getting Congress to suspend the Posse Comitatus Act

26 minutes ago, Oroborus21 said:

Loved the show so far but this latest episode was ridiculous in the big plot point of the missile strike by the DOD. As everyone should know, the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878 prevents the use of the military/federal forces within the United States for any law enforcement activities. Thus there is NO WAY that the DOD could have military jets drop a bomb or that missiles as described in the episode could be used in the fashion depicted.

If F-16 intercepts small plane violating White House airspace, does it need Congressional approval to fire? If a heavily armored truck full of terrorists was driving towards the White House, could drones drop Hellfires on it without Congressional approval?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, paigow said:

If F-16 intercepts small plane violating White House airspace, does it need Congressional approval to fire? If a heavily armored truck full of terrorists was driving towards the White House, could drones drop Hellfires on it without Congressional approval?

Good question.  5 Fighter jets were launched on 9/11, but due to screw-ups from the FAA, none reached any of the hijacked planes.  NORAD wsas apparently ready to shoot down the planes, and two pilots were ready to ram any hijacked plane they found.  So the answer to the first question is YES.
But the military can't legally operate drones in civilian air-space, so the answer to the second question is NO.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:08 PM, Bill C. said:

Hipster Kid Terrorist proving he was the smartest man in the room was actually unexpected and rather impressive.  (Andy officially becoming the new Chloe, a little less so...but still.  Dan Bucatinsky basically has to be expressive enough for two people, Andy and Eric, and he's actually doing it.)  That said, as perhaps inevitable as it was, Action Bae's big "Family used to mean something" speech to help Isaac rally CTU: Urban Division was just a bit too sledgehammerily schmaltzy for my taste...see also HKT's entire monologue to Eric, also inevitable as that was.  OTOH, the shootout between CTUUD and HKT's men was fairly well done...even allowing for Isaac just striding in like a boss with a shotgun.  Because of course he would.

You said it better than I ever could. This show has become an untethered mess of nonsense although I found the CTUUD's entrance into the Den of Jihad so entertaining and hilarious. Can we just make this show into 24: Isaac & His Crew? 

The actor playing Eric simply cannot carry this show. He doesn't have very much range and the bad writing makes it even more painful to watch. And what the hell is Jimmy Smits doing? I used to think he was a pretty good actor. He's bringing the boring. Or maybe he's also an innocent victim of a horrible script.

• Love 1

It just occured to me that one more thing Legacy lacks is a dynamic POTUS. With the possible exception of Wayne Palmer, 24 had some wonderful Presidents played by some great actors, and he or she was central to the plot. It was only Day 1 when David Palmer was a candidate rather than the POTUS, and he was a thousand times more interesting that Jimmy Smits. 

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, marinw said:

It just occured to me that one more thing Legacy lacks is a dynamic POTUS. With the possible exception of Wayne Palmer, 24 had some wonderful Presidents played by some great actors, and he or she was central to the plot. It was only Day 1 when David palmer was a candidate rather than the POTUS, and he was a thousand times more interesting that Jimmy Smits. 

And there's also not really a SHERRY Palmer figure, who in my opinion was also really important as a plot driver (and source of entertainment).  Who in our current cast could yell a man to death?  Edit: I think Rebecca is a solid character but she's in the "CTU" cast of characters more than the "White House/political" cast of characters; Donovan needs a devil-on-the-shoulder character like Sherry, Olivia Taylor, President Anil Kapoor's various family members, etc.

Jimmy Smits is a solid actor but his character is in a fairly passive mode. Maybe they'll fix that soon.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 1
On 3/21/2017 at 9:59 AM, icemiser69 said:

Speaking of Isaac, he is starting to grow on me.

But he has got to stop with the 'aight's -- enough already.

The biggest disappointment --  the missile strike occurred off-screen.  WTF ?
In 24: Day 6, they actually showed the mushroom cloud over Valencia, California.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The biggest disappointment --  the missile strike occurred off-screen.  WTF ?
In 24: Day 6, they actually showed the mushroom cloud over Valencia, California.

Blowing up Wembley Stadium used up the budget for 5 sequels.....

• Love 2

I never watched the original-wait, I think I saw the first couple but can't recall why I didn't stick with it.  That said I didn't have any interest in watching this, except my parents are loving it. It's airing in India, where they live, so they're watching it while they're here.

That said, I've ended up watching and it's not keeping my interest until I saw this episode. (Please cover your ears)...

DR. FAAAAAAAATE!!!!!

❤️?❤️?❤️?❤️ODED FEHR!!!!!❤️?❤️?❤️?❤️

I got the feeling he's someone who is undercover and that Eric Carter just continued to prove what an idiot he is with his blathering and threats to kill Naseera.?

Honestly, that whole scene and then the one where Eric told Chase Bailey's character about him, reminded me of a book I'd read years ago about this dangerous and murderous terrorist, and it turned out that he was actually CIA, who had been in deep undercover under this alias for YEARS.

And in shallow enough to tune in just to get my Oded Fehr Fix.???

On 3/23/2017 at 4:06 PM, Oroborus21 said:

Come on 24 Legacy writers. Give the audience some credit.

no she said he had less than 3 minutes... even so as I stated already the whole missile thing was nonsense since it would be illegal for the DOD to do such a thing without first getting Congress to suspend the Posse Comitatus Act

So I guess if it was an internal CTU as opposed to a CIA or USAF armed drone the episode works?

CTU Agent Jack Bauer after murdering a federal prisoner to provide a cover story: "I'm gonna need a hacksaw"

• Love 1

After two weeks showing solid improvement, this was a definite backslide.

The problem with doing a show with three parallel torture plots is that the comparisons count.  Having the terrorist give up his boss's location really easily but the heroes makes the villains less credible and the whole thing falls to pieces.  Also, the Henry plot is beyond boring and even Tony (so far, very underused) isn't saving it at present.  Smits did some good scenery-chewing but the whole torture or not storyline feels so 2009.

Eric's plan was pretty crazy and, true to form, it looks set to backfire.  Isaac coming to the rescue was cheesy but cool to watch.  The bombing looked cheap -- the show needed an equivalent of the gas explosion hero shot from S5 to cement Carter. 

But the handover from one boring terrorist who, at least, has some kind of past connection with Carter to another one who is only distinct because he seems like he might know parkour just makes me roll my eyes.  Who cares?

The trouble with doing a 12-episode run is that the show needs to find its groove quickly and well.  I have no problem with a post-Bauer 24 whatsoever -- some of the strongest storylines over the years have been the non-Jack ones (especially Logan).  But the characters are all boring or stupid or both, the plot feels undercooked and trite and the show just doesn't have its mojo.  It's so disappointing and I hope it doesn't close off opportunities for more 24 in future.