Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I still can't get over this episode. It has my thoughts go to places I don't want to but just for good measure I will share...so I eat 1500 calories a day (I track it in my fitnesspal, I have struggled with my weight my whole life and to track every bite is the only way to keep my BMI in a healthy range). Ok....and I crap once a day. If James takes in between 15000 and 20000 calories a day...does he have to crap 10 to 15 times a day? Which would be more than once an hour? Does it mean that Lisa and Bayley have to clean poopy pads and poopy butt all the time?? I am not asking because of the poopy but because it seemed like it was very hard on them to roll him over to do the changing. You would think he would feel tremendous guilt and would reduce his food intake to make life easier on them. 

Love your screen name!  Perfect :)

It looked to me like James' ass was beet red when they "rolled" him over to wipe him.  He's probably got the worst case of diaper rash without the diaper, from constant shitting and being wiped.  Their house must reek something awful.  I thought for sure when James' dad was throwing up, it had to be from the smell, although it was explained away by the stroke he had.

The most disturbing episode yet, for sure.  That poor Bayley, what a life.  I hope she's able to break free from that mess.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

There used to be a show on British TV where a nutritionist would go to the homes of obese people, would put out on a table a replication of what they ate in one day (the table was usually overflowing); then she would have them provide an entire bowel movement in something that looked like a 9x13 glass baking dish.  She would look at just one movement and go on and on about how abnormally large it was, and usually about how stinky it was.

I remember that show.  I loved her.  I think her approach with the table (a large table at that) laden with all the food & drink an individual consumed in a week was an interesting one.  It might help some people, but I wonder if it would have sunk in to James or Lisa?  Probably not.

Edited by Dru Blood
typo
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

OK, I wasn't going to mention this, but you just had to go there...I noticed on the James episode that he consumed 2 HUGE plates of steak, mashed potatoes, and corn (2 starches!  WHY?).  Corn...think about that.  Corn on a chux.  Corn on a chux YOU don't have to change and clean up the residue of.  Corn doesn't digest very well.  It also tends to give some people diarrhea.  Why would someone who has to clean that mess up give the bed bound patient corn?

Also, why do so many of the clients on this show even eat corn!  It is a starch, not a vegetable.  Don't bother telling me it is one, because it isn't.  And I guarantee you, it isn't on Dr. Now's diet either.

Yeah I wouldn't feed them corn, either. I don't know how his caretakers don't vomit every time they have to clean his messes--human feces is a terrible biohazard.  A bit off topic, but most cases of diarrhea in the field is because of poor sanitation; some poor schmuck accidentally ingested his own feces. Wonder if that's why James had diarrhea himself. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

poor sanitation; some poor schmuck accidentally ingested his own feces

From the conditions of the parts of the house we saw and the reptile cages, not to mention the less then sanitary conditions in the kitchen and his choice of eating from his bed/chest, it is no wonder.  Uggh!  Her choice.  She didn't have to keep feeding him that junk.  They make some pretty good ear plugs these days, available at every corner drug store.  My suggestion, buy some, put them in and just follow the diet.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

There used to be a show on British TV where a nutritionist

Gillian McKeith!  You are what you eat!  Loved that show!!!

Oops.  I loved her show, but in reading a bit further, she sounds like a bit of a wacko...too bad :(

Edited by Dru Blood
Further reading
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Dru Blood said:

I used to watch it all the time. She was a bit much. If tippy think Dr. Now is mean..

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dru Blood said:

Also, why do so many of the clients on this show even eat corn!  It is a starch, not a vegetable.  Don't bother telling me it is one, because it isn't.  And I guarantee you, it isn't on Dr. Now's diet either.

THANK YOU!!  I actually got into an argument with some idiot on Youtube who swore left and right that corn was a vegetable and not a starch.  I've known it is a starch for years.  It is even listed on my Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal cards as a starch.  I can have 2 servings corn, bread, peas, beans, rice, potatoes, oatmeal or cream of wheat a day but never in the same meal.  I could have them in the same meal if I choose too but I personally like to split them up. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lizzie Jones said:

THANK YOU!!

You're welcome!  I got into an argument with my Mom's care-giving assistant yesterday about corn - starch vs. vegetable!  She had her phone out and was googling "is corn a vegetable"!  Of course it is a vegetable!  It grows in the ground!  But it is way full of sugar and you make FLOUR out of it!  You don't make flour out of spinach, broccoli or zucchini!  I mean you find them as ingredients in tortillas and pasta, but it isn't made completely from them!

On a side note, my husband's brother once, as a kid, ordered a meal in restaurant that came with 2 sides.  He ordered mashed potatoes and a baked potato as his sides and my husband asked "do you want fries with that."

• Love 4

Another person registering just to post in this thread. Someone mentioned Walter Hudson a few pages back, and I think that summoned me...

IIRC, Hudson used the toilet (and by toilet I mean bathtub) only once a week or so, either from constipation or inhibition or sheer will power. At least Hudson could make it to the bathroom. (I can't believe Walter Hudson comes out on top in any comparison.)

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Moloch Must Die said:

Another person registering just to post in this thread. Someone mentioned Walter Hudson a few pages back, and I think that summoned me...

IIRC, Hudson used the toilet (and by toilet I mean bathtub) only once a week or so, either from constipation or inhibition or sheer will power. At least Hudson could make it to the bathroom. (I can't believe Walter Hudson comes out on top in any comparison.)

That was me. As I looked at pictures of him, one was of him exiting a house with some blue robe/jumpsuit thing on. I swear he reminded me of Qaddafi in his hey day. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I still can't get over this episode. It has my thoughts go to places I don't want to but just for good measure I will share...so I eat 1500 calories a day (I track it in my fitnesspal, I have struggled with my weight my whole life and to track every bite is the only way to keep my BMI in a healthy range). Ok....and I crap once a day. If James takes in between 15000 and 20000 calories a day...does he have to crap 10 to 15 times a day? Which would be more than once an hour? Does it mean that Lisa and Bayley have to clean poopy pads and poopy butt all the time?? I am not asking because of the poopy but because it seemed like it was very hard on them to roll him over to do the changing. You would think he would feel tremendous guilt and would reduce his food intake to make life easier on them. 

You know meow-mah-leg what you said so well in your post is exactly why I can't criticize Lisa about the condition of their home. I have read here how her poor housekeeping skeeves out a lot of folks here, but I really have to give her a pass on this.

Imagine not just the physical toll taking care of this adult man-baby takes on her physically, even with the help of Bayley, but also the emotional and psychological drain that man is. One of the screen pop-ups said she had hernias from literally all the heavy lifting she's done for him over the years. And just look at her. She obviously does nothing girly girl for herself: makeup, going to a hair salon, mani-pedis, nothing. I think that selfish bastard inhales, on a daily and hourly basis, every ounce of energy she has. FFS, just leave him Lisa!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To correct typo.
  • Love 8
On 3/18/2017 at 11:02 AM, Trees said:

I just clicked "Report" on this campaign for reason "factually incorrect information".  She alleges "James needs a lot of medical attention that he cannot receive.", however, we all saw that he DID receive help and threw it away.  Urge others to report if this campaign bothers you.

Must have worked because the campaign isn't there anymore. 

• Love 5
On 3/18/2017 at 1:20 PM, wings707 said:

I expect to hear of his death soon.  He is on the verge of an amputation, heart failure or systemic infection.  Aside from the cellulitis he has not bathed in years.   

Gasoline pants firmly in place, who gets him out of the house, is he too big to fit in the cremation furnace, who pays for it?  

Maybe another house fire? I mean, it would kinda be fitting since he seems to have been prone to having more than his share of them... somebody pass me another pair of gasoline-soaked bloomers, please. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

You know meow-mah-leg what you said so well in your post is exactly why I can't criticize Lisa about the condition of their home. I have read here how her poor housekeeping skeeves out a lot of folks here, but I really have to give her a pass on this.

Imagine not just the physical toll taking care of this adult man-baby takes on her physically, even with the help of Bayley, but also the emotional and psychological drain that man is. One of the screen pop-ups said she had hernias from literally all the heavy lifting she's done for him over the years. And just look at her. She obviously does nothing girly girl for herself: makeup, going to a hair salon, mani-pedis, nothing. I think that selfish bastard inhales, on a daily and hourly basis, every ounce of energy she has. FFS, just leave him Lisa!

This just made me dislike James even more. That poor woman, despite her own issues, deserves a life where she has at least a little time for herself, and Bayley also deserves a normal life. 

They ought to give James an ultimatum like they do on "Intervention": Accept the help and go along with the program, or your servants will walk out the door (and with this, the servants need to stop over-feeding him).

Edited by Runnergirl
add-on thought
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

This just made me dislike James even more. That poor woman, despite her own issues, deserves a life where she has at least a little time for herself, and Bayley also deserves a normal life. 

They ought to give James an ultimatum like they do on "Intervention": Accept the help and go along with the program, or your servants will walk out the door (and with this, the servants need to stop over-feeding him).

Wow, we must have a psychic connection because yes, absolutely yes I was thinking exactly the same thing Runnergirl! I've watched this asshole a total of three times, two regular episodes and the Supersized one.

On the Supersized episode one of the screen messages said that they were going be in couples counseling. That thoroughly enraged me. Them being in couples counseling is like a rape victim being in counseling with her rapist! Whoever came up with that is a stone cold idiot.

Lisa AND Bayley each need independent counseling, especially Lisa. She needs to have therapy that has her, and ONLY her, best interests at heart.

In my fantasy of her leaving him it would be her, Bayley, her adult son who helps bathe James on a regular basis, and her counselor as a group announce to James that, for Lisa's and Bayley's emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being, she and Bayley are leaving. Of course, as his caretakers, she will also inform this selfish prick that his care has been arranged for and then, Peace Out you Mutha.... Shut Yo Mouth, Asshole!!!

Edited by DC Gal in VA
For clarifications.
  • Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:00 AM, gardendiva said:

Have any of you heard of that fetish type of behavior that some people participate in called "Adult Babies"?

Yes, there was a show on either TLC or a Discovery channel on it, probably a My Strange Addiction one.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I thought for sure when James' dad was throwing up, it had to be from the smell, although it was explained away by the stroke he had.

I did some research (because I'm retired and have nothing better to do).  I did not find anywhere online that vomiting is an indicator of a stroke.  He may have had a stroke, but I seriously doubt it was related at all to the vomiting.  IMHO, the vomiting was stench-induced.  The stroke was stress-induced.

• Love 10

I love all these responses because I was feeling guilty that I couldn't stand this guy.  I felt like I wasted 2 hours of my life watching this whining baby ruin everyone's life.  I watch this show to get inspired by people changing their lives.  He was pathetic and I don't know why that woman kept feeding him.  I would tell him if you don't quit whining and try harder, I'll see you around.  And it's almost child abuse what they are doing to that daughter who is miserable. 

• Love 6
On 3/20/2017 at 8:45 PM, Lizz said:

I remember on episodes in the past some patients rambled out or were rolled out of Dr. Now's office holding what looked like a prescription sized paper.  I don't know if it's ever been mentioned, but do they get appetite suppressants?  

I don't know what meds (maybe differs based on co-morbidities?) but there was one patient that had a bad time and said something about not taking the meds prescribed because they couldn't afford them. But that may have been post-op. Seems like Dr. Now has mentioned meds pre-op before though on other eps. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I did some research (because I'm retired and have nothing better to do).  I did not find anywhere online that vomiting is an indicator of a stroke.  He may have had a stroke, but I seriously doubt it was related at all to the vomiting.  IMHO, the vomiting was stench-induced.  The stroke was stress-induced.

I think that his father is used to "smells" since he is a farmer. If HE is already throwing up like that, wouldn't the filming crew be puking all over the place?

• Love 3
On 3/21/2017 at 3:50 PM, operalover said:

Very well said, Hana Chan! But the way these people carry on, they think getting the surgery is going to magically erase 400 pounds. Every single one of them says "I don't know what I'll do if Dr. Now says no to me- I will have no options then except to die".  "This surgery is my only hope to save my life". It's not true. You can save your own life! They really don't understand that the surgery is only going to help a little bit with allowing them to eat less each time they eat and  make them feel full. This will help over the long run so you won't have a strong hunger feeling trying to limit calories. But you still have to diet- it just makes dieting a bit easier. But the super obese don't eat because they are hungry anyway! I love when they say "when I wake up I'm starving". 

It's like they think: step 1: be put to sleep and taken into the OR  step 2: some surgery voodoo happens  step 3: I wake up 400+ pounds lighter and I will never gain the weight back and can just keep on eating as much as I want of whatever I want, whenever I want. Good voodoo. And then Dr. Now lays the truth on 'em and some roll with (no pun intended), some need a come-to-Jesus moment for it sink in that there is WORK involved and others... James... just are so deep in the delusion that even Jesus ain't gonna penetrate that fog.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, meow-mah-leg said:

wouldn't the filming crew be puking all over the place?

Don't worry about that.  They had plenty of chux! Hah hahah!  That whole scene almost made ME want to blow chux!  I gotta stop!

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, meow-mah-leg said:

I think that his father is used to "smells" since he is a farmer. If HE is already throwing up like that, wouldn't the filming crew be puking all over the place?

Well, "farmer smells" are usually outside, with fresh air as an option, and farm workers DO adjust to them.  But the smell of someone who has been pooping in his bed in a closed in space would be something else entirely.

And I tend to visualize the filming crew (1) wearing those hazmat masks that the clean-up crew wears on Hoarders, and (2) being tested ahead of time to see whether they qualify for the filming of M600#L, along with the accompanying hazard pay.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Wow.  I had not found that information on any of the other sites I checked.  I stand corrected.  (But I still maintain the smell in that room must have been horrendous.)

I just typed in stroke symptoms vomiting and that came up first.

That room probably did smell. What grossed me out was the gross filthy carpeting. 

It looked like that room had never been vacumned. Ewwww.

• Love 4

Was just making myself a turkey fajita on a carb-friendly tortilla with tons of fresh pepper and onions.  My zeal for eating healthier has grown by leaps and bounds from watching James K.

(By the way, Mission makes a wonderful tortilla for those who are watching our carbs.  You can find them with the other tortillas in the grocery store.  There's a fajita size and a taco size.  I highly recommend them.)

Anyway, as I was cooking, my mind wandered over to James.  OK, so it took what, FOUR grown adults to bathe him?  But it was just Lisa and James in Houston?  How on earth did he bathe?  Someting stinks...literally.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

(By the way, Mission makes a wonderful tortilla for those who are watching our carbs.  You can find them with the other tortillas in the grocery store.  There's a fajita size and a taco size.  I highly recommend them.)

I saw those in the grocery store today but opted for the regular ones. I was afraid the Mission carb friendly ones would taste like cardboard or something. I VERY rarely buy tortillas but good to know there's a good low-carb option. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Dru Blood said:
4 hours ago, meow-mah-leg said:

wouldn't the filming crew be puking all over the place?

Don't worry about that.  They had plenty of chux! Hah hahah!  That whole scene almost made ME want to blow chux!  I gotta stop!

Do you suppose they're people who begged for a transfer from the hoarding show crews?

• Love 6

For those that are extra frugal or just poor, you can donate your body to science. Zero cost and I think they even arrange for pick up of the body. But in James' case, they may decline. Or jump at the chance...with society becoming so obese, his remains might be a valuable tool for research. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

This show really has gotten me interested in healthy eating. I do wonder if James will ever come to the realization that this is well within his control. It will be hard but if he gets some counseling (wonder why we didn't see that), it might be very helpful.

And for those of you following my breast cancer journey, I had my lumpectomy 10 days ago and am doing well, Cancer did not spread to the lymph nodes and it is all gone now. I need to do radiation treatments, possibly chemotherapy based on testing, but I'm thrilled at the results I received today.

back on topic, what will James's wake up call be? It seems like he has somewhat of a desire to lose weight, he just doesn't have his mind in the right place. Hope if he comes back on the show, both he and Lisa go to counseling. 

Glad 2 know you're doing well!!! GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Was just making myself a turkey fajita on a carb-friendly tortilla with tons of fresh pepper and onions.  My zeal for eating healthier has grown by leaps and bounds from watching James K.

Anyway, as I was cooking, my mind wandered over to James.  OK, so it took what, FOUR grown adults to bathe him?  But it was just Lisa and James in Houston?  How on earth did he bathe?  Someting stinks...literally.

Where did you get a carb friendly tortilla?  I have been looking for something like that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

For those that are extra frugal or just poor, you can donate your body to science. Zero cost and I think they even arrange for pick up of the body. But in James' case, they may decline. Or jump at the chance...with society becoming so obese, his remains might be a valuable tool for research. 

My sister is actually going to do this.  She has it all arranged.  She is not frugal or poor she just thinks it would be a cool thing to do.   She was telling me about it and she said there were weight requirements.  Not a problem for her but apparently they aren't interested in overweight folks, at least at the medical school in my city. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CarolMK said:

This show really has gotten me interested in healthy eating. I do wonder if James will ever come to the realization that this is well within his control. It will be hard but if he gets some counseling (wonder why we didn't see that), it might be very helpful.

And for those of you following my breast cancer journey, I had my lumpectomy 10 days ago and am doing well, Cancer did not spread to the lymph nodes and it is all gone now. I need to do radiation treatments, possibly chemotherapy based on testing, but I'm thrilled at the results I received today.

back on topic, what will James's wake up call be? It seems like he has somewhat of a desire to lose weight, he just doesn't have his mind in the right place. Hope if he comes back on the show, both he and Lisa go to counseling. 

Great news, Carol!! I am very happy for you. Have been there myself and thank God for early detection and mammograms, right?? 

Your doc proably already mentioned this, but thought I would just say that your skin might not show the "sunburn" effect until AFTER your treatments are completed (if at all), so keep up the recommended skin care and precautions for a couple of weeks after your last treatment. 

Other than that, and feeling a bit tired by the end, it really was not bad st all. GOOD LUCK! 

XO

(Topic? I wonder what James is eating right now? I am in the midst of a Girls' Weekend with 2 friends and we all bring food. And there is always too much. And I bet we still do t have as much as James and Lisa would go through in a weekend. I am still mind-boggled over this guy.)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

When I was looking into donating my body to a local medical school, in their lists of bodies they could not accept was "obese".  Plus, due to the laws prohibiting payment for bodies, the facility cannot pay for transport, etc.  I'm sure it varies state-by-state and school-by-school but I would not assume that it would be an easy option.

9 hours ago, CarolMK said:

Woohoo Carol!  That's great news!

Let me 2nd what another poster said about the skin care.  My mom went through that.  She did not start with the prescription lotions as early on as she should have because it didn't feel like much.  Later when she started using them, she wished she had begun immediately. 

• Love 4
On 3/21/2017 at 6:28 PM, aliya said:

My grown son hates for me to even talk about the show. I'll start to say something and he'll say "I don't want to hear about that #*## show."  Then I say, "OK, OK, I'll stop. But just listen to this one thing..."  It's a dance we do.

OMG! This made me laugh so hard!!  I do the same thing.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

I looked up my local medical school's policy on accepting donated bodies and they actually are fairly stringent.  They say they do not accept all bodies, and that people who have had extensive chronic disease are usually not accepted.

I was surprised.

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ChristmasJones said:

I looked up my local medical school's policy on accepting donated bodies and they actually are fairly stringent.  They say they do not accept all bodies, and that people who have had extensive chronic disease are usually not accepted.

I was surprised.

I'm a little surprised, too. I'm not a med student, but it seems like they would want bodies with chronic diseases, to study them. Same with obese patients. Being that such a large population is obese, one would think they would want to study the many effects of it. 

• Love 2
Just now, Awfarmington said:

I'm a little surprised, too. I'm not a med student, but it seems like they would want bodies with chronic diseases, to study them. Same with obese patients. Being that such a large population is obese, one would think they would want to study the many effects of it. 

If they have a room full of donated bodies, they want them all as similar as possible so that when the teacher points out something, they all have something similar.  There are some private companies who take donated bodies "for medical purposes."  In those cases, somebody's grandma's legs may be sawed off so that a company that makes artificial joints can demonstrate them on "real bones" at a medical convention.

• Love 5

When I had a crazy case of projectile vomiting, they assessed me for stroke. It was caused by dizziness which can mean a stroke. Mine was just an inner ear thing. I threw up everywhere. Woke up with it. 

• Love 1

I just now went to go read the info at my local med school and it says "we cannot guarantee in advance that your body will be accepted for donation" and then they have a list of about ten different factors which may cause them to deny the body - including obesity, emaciation, or edema, infectious diseases, severe trauma to the body, recent surgeries and multiple illnesses.  They do a screening on the phone at the time of death, and that is when they decide whether or not to accept it.

I wonder how many people sign up for this and then end up getting denied after they die. 

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 1

Thank you all so much! I'm in NJ and I think we're the only state in which you cannot donate your body to science. We do have some strange laws in my state. But I do wonder what it would be like to examine a 600 lb body after death. Finding out a cause of death might be more difficult because of the mass the medical student has to work with. I've heard of med students becoming somewhat attached to the cadavers they work with because they use them for an extended period of time, weird as that might sound.

Back on topic, does anyone know of a social media for James? How is he doing physically? Has he lost or gained any weight or has he just disappeared into the background? I've seen Nicole on FB. She might be making this show into a second career. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

If they have a room full of donated bodies, they want them all as similar as possible so that when the teacher points out something, they all have something similar.  

This makes perfect sense! I never thought of it that way. Just like in school when everyone gets their own frog to dissect.

36 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

I wonder how many people sign up for this and then end up getting denied after they die. 

Can you imagine?

I think med schools can afford to be picky these days. I'm hearing about families donating to science more and more. Funerals are so expensive now, that's why funeral homes are pushing pre-planning. Between the cost of the coffin, the plot, the burial, and the service, families can easily spend upwards of $15K, and I think that's even low.

• Love 1

This topic came up with my dentist when I was getting half my teeth yanked due to  perio disease.  Univ. of Washington Med school almost never accepts bodies.  I was kind of surprised too, and really don't remember the reason.  I did learn that the Dental school is always looking for molars to teach root canals.  That school got mine!  I'm a living donor!  :D

• Love 3
On March 24, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Dru Blood said:

Oops.  I loved her show, but in reading a bit further, she sounds like a bit of a wacko...too bad :(

Being American, that show was interesting/horrifying to me because the food array always included fish and chips, curry, doner kebabs, and something that means sandwich. Like the biscuits and gravy that Lisa made for James... is that a thing you just whip up for breakfast?

James' episode is the only one from this season that's not available through On Demand. Even Tracey's episode is up. Hmmm... 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Otter said:

This topic came up with my dentist when I was getting half my teeth yanked due to  perio disease.  Univ. of Washington Med school almost never accepts bodies.  I was kind of surprised too, and really don't remember the reason.  I did learn that the Dental school is always looking for molars to teach root canals.  That school got mine!  I'm a living donor!  :D

Go Huskies! (PhD 2007)

• Love 1