Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

Yes - they're tweens and kids that age are not always the nicest to others - but this was not their 1st appearance - they've been doing these meet and greets for years now and should know how to behave. Their following is a bunch of young girls and tweens, so they should set a good example. I'm surprised as Abby's biggest complaint was always the moms talking all the time about Maddie - and yet she'd allow the same behavior from the girls towards another teammate. Abby and the girls knew exactly what they were getting with the addition of Jojo after her stint on AUDC.

• Love 2

Chloe and her Fool Me Once solo get covered on the Dance Spirit website.

Stunning piece of work. Just Jess Goodwin playing and singing her beautiful song and Chloe dancing her heart onstage with the additional artistic/story punch of her watching herself perform.  This is so much better than Maddie's Sia video. For one thing, you can actually see Jess Goodwin giving a very emotional rendition of her own work.  Thank God that there are real, upper echelon choreographers who recognize Chloe's abilities as a dancer and a performer, are stepping up to nurture her and show the world what this young lady can really do now that she's out the clutches of the ALDC.  I can only hope that Abby's (and maybe Melissa's as well) head exploded when she saw this video. 

• Love 1

To me it's beautiful, but it looks like a solo she might perform at a competition.  Really pretty, but doesn't pack much of a punch. 

I prefer the Sia video, but I don't think that the two are comparable. Chloe's flexibility needs work. Not much ability for Chloe to emote here since I couldn't see her face most of the time.

Nia's single is apparently 57 on the iTunes pop chart?

I hate criticizing such a nice kid, but I also always feel like Chloe's flexibility is lacking.  Could it be that she just seems less flexible because she's tall? 

Edited by sofiah

I don't think this is any comparison to Maddie/Sia; but of course everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. We'll see if Christie gets the kind of recognition she is so desperately seeking for Chloe. She claims that it was never about the fame and yet even though she's away from ALDC she's still seeking to keep her kid in the public eye. Compare that to Kelly who has allowed her kids to drop out of the spotlight and just be normal teenagers. Christi is a complete hypocrite. 

• Love 3

I don't think this is any comparison to Maddie/Sia; but of course everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. We'll see if Christie gets the kind of recognition she is so desperately seeking for Chloe. She claims that it was never about the fame and yet even though she's away from ALDC she's still seeking to keep her kid in the public eye. Compare that to Kelly who has allowed her kids to drop out of the spotlight and just be normal teenagers. Christi is a complete hypocrite. 

I'm fairly certain that Christi has never claimed that she didn't want Chloe to be in the spotlight, if that show showed anything about her at all, is was that she wanted Chloe to be recognized for the talent that she was.

I agree that the Maddie/Sia and Chloe/Jess thing isn't comparable for a few reasons. One, two different types of video's and two, two different types of choreography. To me, Maddie dancing in the Sia video gave me a headache---but I don't like the song and I feel like most dancers could have done that choreo but Maddie sold it with her over the top facials. Maddie was born with a face that emotes bright---she, however, was not born with the body of a dancer like Chloe. I also don't need the over the top facials from Chloe because her body tells a story more brightly, imo. Kendall would be another Maddie, imo, if she were born with the same face---decent dancers who can light up a room, but put next to a technical dancer gets out shined very quickly. As a dancer myself, I prefer movement over gawdy facials. 

I did see a new article about Chloe today that I actually liked http://www.bustle.com/articles/69084-what-is-dance-moms-chloe-lukasiak-doing-now-dancing-well-is-the-best-revenge

I imagine by next year Dance Moms will be a thing of the past. 

Also, fwiw, Kelly wanted her kids to be famous but her kids didn't really want it. I don't see anything Chloe is doing now as it being something she's being forced into---also, Jess did a video explaining why she chose Chloe to do that video and it was in direct relation to Maddie and Kendall being able to dance to her music and Chloe being left out. She recognized the pain in Chloe that Abby was causing and wanted to do something good for her hence the video. This wasn't something Chloe went out and auditioned for---she was contacted and asked to do it, just like Sia contacted and asked Maddie to do her video. 

• Love 7

Thank you for the above link. Chloe's performance was beautiful. Despite everything that's happened she continues to stay focused, positive and an inspiration to young dancers. This is what the show and the girls should be promoting -  instead of the opposite. It's sad because the show had great appeal the first season and then seemed to turn in a new direction.

• Love 5

Ashtin Roth will be with the CADC.  She's most likely replacing McKenzie Morales, this past episode is the last time we'll see her - there was major drama between Bridgette and the Morales family the week the last episode taped.  With Lucas, Gavin and McKenzie gone from CADC they needed practically to replace a whole new team. I think, that may have been why there were auditions again recently.

Yeah, I think a whole bunch of new dancers will be appearing on CADC.

Its kind of sad - does anyone really care who is on that team anyway?  Its a bunch of kids and parents who want to be on tv, but I'm sure they'd much rather be on the ALDC, since they'd get a lot more exposure that way.  

Edited by sofiah

Jeeze!  The photos are cool, very theatrical - but whoever wrote this blurb (which isn't even the real article that goes with the photos, just someone talking about the fact that the real photoshoot and article exists as far as I can tell) is seriously messed up.  Why keep describing a kid as a pre-teen sex symbol?  It's not even an accurate description! 

The actual Facebook page of the magazine has a much more apt description:

Dance phenomenon ‪#‎MaddieZiegler‬ plays dress up in a theatrical wardrobe of MOSCHINO - the official page, Jean Paul Gaultier and Vivienne Westwood for Schön!

• Love 5

Another example of Maddie being pimped out by her mother.

The child is working as a dancer/actress/model.  Maddie seems like the type of kid who loves what she's doing.  I love the pictures.  And that link was a tabloid magazine.  Trying to label Maddie a  "sex symbol" or whatever they said is disgraceful.  The pictures are a whole lot more tasteful than the ones you would see at a dance competition.

• Love 3

The pictures are theatrical and artsy.  The tabloid magazine article is tacky and biased.  The writer hated Elastic Heart and described it as a pedophile piece as if it was a fact.  That part is debatable and I don't see sexual tones in the video but I can see how others could.  Then the person described Maddie as a sex symbol when the pictures are not sexual in nature.

• Love 2

Brooke Shields is fine after doing movies that were deemed provocative.  Jody Foster is an award winning actress and director after playing a 12 year old prostitute in Taxi Driver.   Maddie's getting good jobs that show off her talent.  Not many kids get those opportunity. And those other stage moms with the biggest mouths would kill for those opportunities.

None of us can guarantee our kids will not have problems as adults.  But music videos and fashion photo shoots won't be the reason.

I still think her biggest critics are other dance moms who are jealous.  (Cathy from Candy Apples comes to mind).

• Love 3

Brooke Shields is fine after doing movies that were deemed provocative. Jody Foster is an award winning actress and director after playing a 12 year old prostitute in Taxi Driver. Maddie's getting good jobs that show off her talent. Not many kids get those opportunity. And those other stage moms with the biggest mouths would kill for those opportunities.

None of us can guarantee our kids will not have problems as adults. But music videos and fashion photo shoots won't be the reason.

I still think her biggest critics are other dance moms who are jealous. (Cathy from Candy Apples comes to mind).

What talent though? Dancing or acting jobs? I've haven't seen Maddie in either one of these. Brooke Shields was born in a different time. She did turn out a fine as an adult but those movies about a 12 year old losing her virginity and blue lagoon are always out there. Her children can see it. Just like Kim K daughter North will one day see her mother's sex tape. Brooke also spoke out about being a child star. It's not what it's cracked up to be. Which is why many child stars fail or don't do well in adulthood. I suspect after dm is over Maddie won't be getting as many calls as she does now. What will she do when the phone stops ringing?

Maddie is a 12 yo with a mother who will do anything to get her kids name out there. Doesn't matter what it is. Melissa would accept a job with Maddie semi nude on a magazine cover. However just because she's getting attention doesn't mean it's the right attention. This will follow Maddie where ever she goes. She's still the girl from dance moms. And why would the other moms be jealous is beyond me. All of them are getting something from the tv show for their kid. In 10 years I wonder if any of these girls will look back and wonder why their mothers allowed them to participate in this bs.

• Love 3

If anything I believe it will be Melissa and Abby who truly do the most damage to Maddie psychologically.

I was just thinking about this, I'm actually thinking im done with the show because I was realizing that I was wishing failure on a 12year old and that's really twisted. Let me explain, it is not that I actually want Maddie it fail, it's the way Abby idolizes her. I'm sure Maddie is a nice child, and it's not her fault, which is why I'm thinking maybe I should just stop watching. It's just gotten so out of hand, the first season it was just speculated, I think I don't remember her directly saying she favored Maddie (although she may have)... But now Abby makes a reference at least 5 times an episode.

I was actually watching "bring it" last night and one of the storylines is who is going to be the new captain because the current one is graduating, so the candidates were having a trail run. The director at one point tells one of the girls "I want you to be you, I dont want you to do it like Kayla"(the current captain) I just felt like that was refreshing after watching dance moms where the girls are constantly compared to Maddie. Like I won't be surprised to find out at some point that was a producer driven thing because if Abby is really that obsessed with a child, that is really unhealthy.

• Love 2

Holy f**king shizznit!!!!! That is completely INSANE!! I cannot even post what I'm thinking.

A couple of weeks ago Sarah Reasons was walking with Brynn and Tea to a restaurant right beside their hotel and a man in a light blue truck pulled up beside them, drew a gun and shot at them. Thankfully none of them were hurt, but what a terrifying thing to happen. Tracie, Sarah's mom posted a status about it on Facebook.

"http://clubmonsters.tumblr.com/image/111107685302"

I don't know if I believe this. Not one single shred of it on the news; I hate the race card, but nobody shoots at 3 young Caucasian girls who happen to also be on and off again stars of a reality show and NOBODY reports on it?

I think someone plays photoshop. 

In my opinion comparing Maddie to Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields or Kim Kardashian is a bit inaccurate.  They were in things unanimously considered inappropriate (especially Kim!)  Maddie's music video was slightly controversial, but many people did not even have a problem with it to begin with. 

Anyway, in media news... Dance Moms won a Kids Choice Awards for best Reality Show last night.

Edited by sofiah

Jeeze!  The photos are cool, very theatrical - but whoever wrote this blurb (which isn't even the real article that goes with the photos, just someone talking about the fact that the real photoshoot and article exists as far as I can tell) is seriously messed up.  Why keep describing a kid as a pre-teen sex symbol?  It's not even an accurate description! 

The photos are gorgeous. But, yeah, ugh at that writing.

• Love 2

Why did someone mention Kim Katrashian? her fame has nothing to do with talent, unlike the other ones.

tracie, Sarah's mom, is a fame whore who happens to have an average daughter that she is trying to make happen. not gonna happen.

For all the critics of Abbie's dances, look at her daughter's dance with Alex Moffat as choreographer and tell me the differnce. They both begin and end rolling on the floor. There are a bunch of leg lifts and stretching. No originality, no artistry, very repetitive.

I don't buy the shooting story, something like that would have required police attention, which would have likely drawn media attention...especially a random shooting targeting little girls who happen to be on a reality show in a good neighborhood.

While I'm sure Normani from Fifth Harmony wouldn't necessarily mind being mistaken as Beyonce, they look nothing alike.  Oh, and I saw the video of them accepting their Kids Choice Awards.  It would have been nice if Abby let the kids speak since it was the KCA's.  But of course not.  She just used it to make sure people know she's not mean and that the kids love her.  Also if I'm not mistaken, Chloe was at the awards too.  Just not with the ALDC girls.

• Love 1

Chloe was there; which again I don't get. Another case of Christi being a hypocrite. You don't want to be associated with the show but you want the perks of the association. 

Chloe was there; which again I don't get. Another case of Christi being a hypocrite. You don't want to be associated with the show but you want the perks of the association. 

Chloe was sent a ticket from Nickelodeon. She wasn't there as a member of the ALDC and didn't go onstage to accept the award. She's a girl with a following (nearly 700K followers on FB alone) and it's publicity for them. No different than the Vloggers and other correspondents. I don't see why Chloe can't go just because the ALDC is there too. 

• Love 9

Those photos were beautfiul, thing is - I'd never have let my then 12 year old "dress-up" in Moschino, Jean Paul Gaultier and Dior in the first place.  Especially Jean Paul Gaultier!!!!  

It's always about going just over the line in judgement with Maddie's adult team, in my estimation.

Are we trying to make a commercially marketable successful, well adjusted child, or are we trying shock the shit out of people to get a reaction for fame?

I can understand not liking Jean Paul Gaultier, he's kind of a despicable person.  But what's wrong with Moschino and Dior?  They both have had children's clothing for years.   

I would have my 12 year old wear the outfits in the magazine before she wore the outfits you see at dance competitions, especially the ones on stage. 

e41dbf3fa5a4c81d5763047dcc4fee3f.jpg

That awkward moment when Abby Lee doesn't know what Beyonce looks like; or that, she wasn't even attendance at the KCA's.

She has since deleted this picture.

That's Beyonce Y'all. New and improved

Didn't Chloe get invited? I'm not sure. All I know is that we're going to hear about ALDC winning an award (which they didn't deserve) for behaving badly. It's like giving a child a cookie for doing bad things.

I would have my 12 year old wear the outfits in the magazine before she wore the outfits you see at dance competitions, especially the ones on stage. 

I understand this sentiment completely.  The reasoning behind my feelings about Dior and Moschino children's lines along with skimpy $600 blinged-out competition costumes is the unnecessary and inappropriate excess.  I actually feel the same about adult "couture", it's part of my value system.

That latest video was the worst yet - they get more and more demented - Sia needs help! At least the first video with Maddie dancing was artistic and showcased her talents.

• Love 6

What a silly article... of course most of the fights are producer driven - but some of them certainly haven't been fake and have lead to negative conclusions like ah, lawsuits.  Of course, the whole set up is now fake since the "competitions" that are filmed are essentially fake anymore.

Which leads to a question about IBTimes, is it just an internet gossip site like Inquisitr or whatever it is, because I sure don't understand the title International Business Times, it basically looks like an aggregator like Huffington Post or something, with mostly gossip.

• Love 2