Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms in the Media

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

It's not media related, but could't find any other place to  post it, and I don't think it needs it's own topic, but I found the "rules" to attend the "famous Nationals" as audience :  http://events.sacbee.com/calabasas_ca/events/show/370958789-in10sity-dance-la-nationals-invitational-featuring-dance-moms

EDIT : Found somenthing a kind of "weird" here : https://www.facebook.com/8CountDanceAcademy/posts/823276981017484 (" We compete tomorrow at the Dance Moms Nationals!!! Come watch us at Calabasas High! You can buy tickets until 11pm tonight with the link below. Our competition schedule is on our website's homepage www.8CountLA.com under the "What's Happening" section! The competition starts at 9am! 5-6-7-8 COUNT!")

and here : https://www.facebook.com/8CountDanceAcademy/photos/a.176564949022027.43772.147353805276475/819192901425892/?type=1&relevant_count=1 ("#tbt to Dance Moms Nationals 2 years ago! We're so excited to announce that we've been invited to compete in the @in10sitydance Dance Moms Nationals against @therealabbylee next Saturday, July 5th in Calabasas!!! You can buy tickets to come watch the competition with this link http://in10sity-dance.ticketleap.com/dancemomsla/. We'll post this link and the schedule to our website once we get it. 5-6-7-8 COUNT!!!")

So, the competition we see are "ALDC invitational competitions" only (so YES, when Cathy's there, she's been invited !), and none of the real ones.

I've read before, any competition that is named "In10sity" is created for the show for ALDC.  SO i would think that this nationals is fake.

I think there's definitely real In10sity Dance competitions, you can see their website, they have a legit staff, etc. - but they must also have a deal with the show to put on these invitationals as well.  I would assume the nationals they went to weren't really legitimate because if they went to actual competitive nationals - the most respected ones - they'd be up against amazing studios and I don't think they'd win much.  

Edited by sofiah

So, if these competitions are fake, speficially nationals, do the girls know they are fake? If they know they are fake, then they are probably always wondering how good they actually are. If they don't know they are fake, when they find out, that will be quite the blow. Talk about messing with the minds of children.

So, if these competitions are fake, speficially nationals, do the girls know they are fake? If they know they are fake, then they are probably always wondering how good they actually are. If they don't know they are fake, when they find out, that will be quite the blow. Talk about messing with the minds of children.

I'm sure the girls know the difference between these invitationals and the real competitions - Maddie, Mack, Nia and Kendal compete at real competitions (and maybe Chloe will now too with her new studio).  They show up like any other dancer, there are no cameras filming them, you can watch their solos and see the results - it just doesn't get aired on the show.  Some of the better Maddie solos she competes at real competitions.  She competed 'Leaving Berlin' and 'Game of Love' at Jump, for example, and 'Birthday' at Nuvo.  I feel like you can kind of tell while watching the show which solo's Maddie will actually compete at real competitions with - the choreography is always better, and her dancing is more polished.  I haven't seen one of her solos at a real competition in a while though. 

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

Sigh... Season 5?

In10sity is a real competition but the ones where Dance Moms film are all invitationals, specifically for taping.

I was not happy seeing Allison Holker stuck doing that with Maddie at all, that said, clearly it's made it deep into current pop culture.

Edited by NextIteration

I hope this is the right spot to post this.  I apologize if it is not.  A new Chloe video is up on YouTube.  It seems the dance wear company for which she is modeling has started a new "Nobody is You" program featuring Chloe.   After watching poor Chloe suffer through tonight's episode, I needed just what the video offered.  

Edited by TVFAN
  • Love 2

Here is the working Just for Kix link.

They are based in my state, we have been buying dance basics from them for 16 years... what a beautiful message. CHLOE IS FREE!

Thanks for the link.  Good for Chloe.  The ad was as much a testiment to her looks as it was to her dancing and was just wonderful.  If it's true that Abby Lard Ass did indeed make a horribly inappropriate comment about Chloe's eye and her appearance, it only proves that she knows as much about true beauty as she does about first class choreography, Nada!

• Love 2

Don't know if this is true but TMZ is reporting That Paige has filed a new lawsuit alleging Abby physically abused the girls.

But Kelly kept her kids there. And why only Paige and not Brooke? not excusing Abbys behavior but Kelly is also to blame

Here's the TMZ article.

So, Kelly has already sued ALM for abusing Paige (and Brooke too, I guess?) but now Paige is filing her own lawsuit alleging the same thing?  Can a 13-year old sue someone?  And can you be sued twice for the same thing? That seems weird. 

It was clearly a dig at the video, as far as I could tell and had very little, if anything, to do with Maddie herself or Abby Lee Miller.  If they wanted to make fun of Abby… they would write a sketch mocking 'Dance Moms'.  Not hard to do on a show like SNL. 

If Maddie is in fact the star of the video the dig is at her.  You can't have it both ways.

I can. I watched the sketch and felt it was pretty obviously not directed at Maddie personally.  Seems to me they were making fun of the weird choreography and cheesy "artsy-ness" of a video that went viral.

Not that I would really care if the dig was directed at her.  

• Love 2

Being culturally relevant enough to be parodied on SNL is pretty cool, IMO

This is true.  The original video has about 275,000,000 views currently.  That doesn't count all of the other videos. That's amazing for an artist from Australia who very few people knew before this video.  Of course Saturday Night Live would do a sketch about it.  It has nothing to do with Abby.  That Maddie is the child dancer is pretty cool for her.  Jim Carrey did a pretty good job imitating it.

• Love 1

Unfortunately the number of hits doesn't really give a good picture because some people will watch repeatedly.  Especially teen and pre-teens. 

How many views the video has so far allows a comparison to the most popular You tube music videos of all time, and it's remarkable.  The top ten music videos include Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Miley, etc.  To compare it to Miley Cyrus' video - Miley's video was in the top 10 of all time most watched and it produced about 675,000,000 views.  Sia's video, that had a similar style, that being only showing one person the entire video, had 275,000,000 so far.  That's huge for a relative unknown (both Maddie and Sia). 

Most dancers could only dream of that kind of audience.  And it goes to a child!  Oh well.

This is more in the Gangnam Style.  My friend's pre-teens would watch that 10-20 times a day.  Maddie is known from the show and the dance world.  And her audience is also the pre-teen to early teen group.  The ones who have time to sit all day and watch the video.

YouTube does not record multiple hits from the same IP address or "login", it only registers unique hits.  Just sayin'.

• Love 3
"YouTube does not record multiple hits from the same IP address or "login", it only registers unique hits.  Just sayin'."

That is not true. Not only you-tube records a few seconds of running a video from the same IP as a hit but there are companies where people can buy multiple hits and likes for their videos (shocking I know!). You-tube recently wiped billions of video views from videos due to fraud, mostly from music videos of huge labels like Universal or Sony.This music video looks like industry standard to me. Demi Levato, Iggy Azela, Jason Derulo, Miley Cyrus... etc popular hits all have the same numbers.

That said, I am sure that Maddie Ziegler contributed to the success of the video going viral. I loved the video! I think the naivete in her dance technique and the faces she makes really changes the tone of the video from tragic (IMHO the original intention of the choreography) to creepy. I got a plastic old doll left behind in a deserted home impression when I watched the video, I really didn't feel for the doll at all. I mean this as a good thing because otherwise the sadness and loneliness of the dance would be overwhelming. I think that creepiness is why Jim Carrey could spoof the video, if it was sad and tragic it would be harder to spoof (and of course to re-watch). Just my opinion of course.

But it is great that at least this talented child got something out of that show. I hope the others do too.

• Love 2

That is not true. Not only you-tube records a few seconds of running a video from the same IP as a hit but there are companies where people can buy multiple hits and likes for their videos (shocking I know!). You-tube recently wiped billions of video views from videos due to fraud, mostly from music videos of huge labels like Universal or Sony.This music video looks like industry standard to me. Demi Levato, Iggy Azela, Jason Derulo, Miley Cyrus... etc popular hits all have the same numbers.

That said, I am sure that Maddie Ziegler contributed to the success of the video going viral. I loved the video! I think the naivete in her dance technique and the faces she makes really changes the tone of the video from tragic (IMHO the original intention of the choreography) to creepy. I got a plastic old doll left behind in a deserted home impression when I watched the video, I really didn't feel for the doll at all. I mean this as a good thing because otherwise the sadness and loneliness of the dance would be overwhelming. I think that creepiness is why Jim Carrey could spoof the video, if it was sad and tragic it would be harder to spoof (and of course to re-watch). Just my opinion of course.

But it is great that at least this talented child got something out of that show. I hope the others do too.

What exactly did maddie or the others get out of the show? Besides being abused and being trained monkeys. And I disagree. I think Sia could've chosen any child and the video still would've been a hit. Of course having maddie on just made it bigger since more kids are likely to listen or dance to the song. It's a win win situation.

• Love 2

It is more complicated than that, you are right.  But if you are logged into Google or from the same IP, it's unlikely that repeat viewing will increase view counts.  Monetizing YouTube is based on reaching the most people, so there is an algorithm involved.  My point is and remains, that one person repeatedly watching the same video will probably not increase the count.  There are also bots that have been programmed, which you are most likely referring to that falsely increase counts - which Google/YouTube tries to ferret out.

I looked and didn't see this little gem posted.

Chloe Lukasiak-Skyscraper:

It's beautiful, moving and a big fat FU to Abbey Lee Miller. And as a bonus there isn't a single second of her insufferable mom in it.

Totally awesome video Chloe, may you continue to dance with this joy.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 6

Chloe's performance skills have improved, but her technique has declined a bit. Her feet aren't as beautiful as they used to be and she still doesn't know how to use her back to be expressive (which is essential in contemporary work). It may just be that contemporary/modern dance isn't her thing. She's always been a bit rigid in her dancing - which makes her great in ballet-esque lyrical numbers, but not so much in everything else. We'll see in a few years, but it looks like Chloe is one of those dancers that is precocious at an early age and then stalls. That's unfortunate because I was really rooting for Chloe to win at this.

I think Maddie's ability to descend into the uncanny valley with her facial expressions is why she landed the video.

I disagree, to me the only reason she landed the video is because she happens to be on a TV program that shows an abusive woman bullying kids for ratings. If there was an open audition call it is very unlikely that she would get the job in my opinion.

Edited by laishai
  • Love 2

I disagree, to me the only reason she landed the video is because she happens to be on a TV program that shows an abusive woman bullying kids for ratings. If there was an open audition call it is very unlikely that she would get the job in my opinion.

It's not like she had to audition anyway. Sia saw her or someone from Sia camp saw Maddie and wanted her in the video. So the show is the only reason why maddie got the part

Eh, I don't care how Maddie got the part. I'm not really a Maddie fan (more of a Sia fan), but she rocked it and she's been able to deliver consistently good performances with it live. I think the true test will be whether she can continue the momentum.

I think once the show is over, these kids and moms are going to have a huge downfall. Reality tv is a gateway to nowhere. Once your 15 minutes is up its really over. None of them are going to be dancers. They might get a few outside roles but that's due to the show. Once the fame dies down then what?

• Love 3

I don't really get what the big deal is about dancing in a chorus line on Broadway (that seems to be *the goal* among many of these kids). It's really not a glamorous or well-paying job, and you only have a few years before you're too old.

Neither is spending a few years dancing in a small company, but many dancers have that as a goal because they love dance. It has nothing to do with fame, money or glamour and everything to do with dance being a a core part of who they are.

The benefits for kids that take ballet or studio dance from elementary to high school are also immeasurable, it gives them poise, public speaking skills (no fear of performing for an audience) and keeps them in excellent athletic shape whilst teaching them valuable time management skills for the rest of their lives.  Colleges also take such long commitments to an activity very seriously in the application process.

• Love 4

Time will tell! I don't really get what the big deal is about dancing in a chorus line on Broadway (that seems to be *the goal* among many of these kids). It's really not a glamorous or well-paying job, and you only have a few years before you're too old.

Time will tell! I don't really get what the big deal is about dancing in a chorus line on Broadway (that seems to be *the goal* among many of these kids). It's really not a glamorous or well-paying job, and you only have a few years before you're too old.

I take it you were not a dancer? Because it is a big deal for dancers to dance!

And it might not be as glamorous as other jobs, [snip] but if you love to dance it's the most glamorous job in the world.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 1

Neither is spending a few years dancing in a small company, but many dancers have that as a goal because they love dance. It has nothing to do with fame, money or glamour and everything to do with dance being a a core part of who they are.

The benefits for kids that take ballet or studio dance from elementary to high school are also immeasurable, it gives them poise, public speaking skills (no fear of performing for an audience) and keeps them in excellent athletic shape whilst teaching them valuable time management skills for the rest of their lives.  Colleges also take such long commitments to an activity very seriously in the application process.

I agree with this.  Dance is also a way to express yourself especially if you also love to choreograph.

I also agree with all the benefits that dance provides.  In addition to what you listed, it teaches kids to have discipline and work with a team.  You can't be absent all the time because you want to go to dances or other things that kids do.  You know that your teacher could be teaching choreography or doing formations.  So it affects others as well as yourself when you're not there.

• Love 2

I thought there was a new maturity level in Chloe's dancing that was nice to see. She is definitely way ahead of the curve for her age, and I say that as someone who has seen literally thousands of competition dances. Good for her!

• Love 1

I don't know how many people follow Christie on Facebook, but for someone who swears she's totally through with the show and ALDC she sure can't shut up about it. We get it, you are done, yay for you, now please stfu already. I swear, I don't know how someone who is so sweet as Chloe appears to be could have such a fame whoring witch as a mother. I am going to miss Chloe but I am going to check out the new season and then decide if I'm done or not. I love Kendall and Mack, I like Nia well enough and although it's completely irrational, Abbey's blatant favoritism of Maddie has caused me to cringe when she's on screen. I wish it wasn't so, but I honestly can't help it.

Yes I meant the premiere, I think it has been on New Years Day the last couple years, but that would place it on a Thursday so I guess I understand why it is the 6th.  Additionally, prior to the premiere is a "Girl Talk" episode, sans Chloe I'm pretty sure.

I don't know how many people follow Christie on Facebook, but for someone who swears she's totally through with the show and ALDC she sure can't shut up about it. We get it, you are done, yay for you, now please stfu already. I swear, I don't know how someone who is so sweet as Chloe appears to be could have such a fame whoring witch as a mother. I am going to miss Chloe but I am going to check out the new season and then decide if I'm done or not. I love Kendall and Mack, I like Nia well enough and although it's completely irrational, Abbey's blatant favoritism of Maddie has caused me to cringe when she's on screen. I wish it wasn't so, but I honestly can't help it.

Sometime you just have to vent a little or a lot when you are over something that seemed good in the beginning but ended so so badly.  I know I have been there and lost a lot of "friends" (using that term lightly here)  because I could not get over the anger and for me hurt fast enough.   So, I can totally understand where Christi is coming from and would be surprised if we do not see her posting about ALDC for months in the future. 

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/55013/20141226/dance-moms-news-2014-abby-lee-miller-skips-christmas-celebrations-for-her-tour-instead-photo-video.htm

Oh, lordy.  Apparently someone's letting Abby loose on Ireland (both North and Republic).  Seriously, there's not enough strife over there already?

The Dance Moms star will be teaching master classes in Ireland with stops scheduled in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Belfast and Kilkenny

And reports say that Abby has lost some weight:

Meanwhile, Miller is sporting a new, healthier look these days. The reality television star has lost a significant amount of weight as shown in several new photos she posted on her Instagram account during the Thanksgiving holiday.

And then there's this: http://www.breathecast.com/articles/dance-moms-season-5-spoilers-abby-millers-secret-weapon-lawsuit-problems-22913/

The first ep of the new season will deal with Paige and her lawsuit against Abby, as well as finding a replacement for Chloe (which this article speculates will be Kalani, but it seems to be just their speculation, not a spoiler).

Finally, everyone go to this link to the Lifetime Dance Moms website to see the hilarious and terrifying new key art which has Abby driving a car with a RIDICULOUSLY fake smile on her face.  It's fantastic.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/dance-moms

Sometime you just have to vent a little or a lot when you are over something that seemed good in the beginning but ended so so badly. I know I have been there and lost a lot of "friends" (using that term lightly here) because I could not get over the anger and for me hurt fast enough. So, I can totally understand where Christi is coming from and would be surprised if we do not see her posting about ALDC for months in the future.

And I totally agree with you as far as a been there done that have several t-shirts. I think that the reason it drives me insane is because she's said at least 40-50 times that she's never going to associate herself with Abbey or ALDC again yet, she continues to do so. Kind of like beating a dead horse, of course YMMV.

• Love 2