Type keyword(s) to search

AI in the Media

• Start Topic

I've been reading a lot of comments on social media about Nutsa.  Personally, I'm not a fan because of the way she treated her duet partner, but she seems to have a huge following.  (On Facebook, for the latest performances, each contestant has less than 10,000 views with most having less than 3,000 views, but Nutsa's has 32,000 views.)  I didn't realize she had a career as a successful entertainer in Georgia and apparently all her fans there are behind her now.  Although foreign countries are not allowed to vote for American Idol, I've read that there are ways to get around that.  I know many of the AI contestants through the years have had stage experience or have cut record deals, but Nutsa is a professional entertainer with a built-in fan base.  Just wondering how the show will handle this.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I've been reading a lot of comments on social media about Nutsa.  Personally, I'm not a fan because of the way she treated her duet partner, but she seems to have a huge following.  (On Facebook, for the latest performances, each contestant has less than 10,000 views with most having less than 3,000 views, but Nutsa's has 32,000 views.)  I didn't realize she had a career as a successful entertainer in Georgia and apparently all her fans there are behind her now.  Although foreign countries are not allowed to vote for American Idol, I've read that there are ways to get around that.  I know many of the AI contestants through the years have had stage experience or have cut record deals, but Nutsa is a professional entertainer with a built-in fan base.  Just wondering how the show will handle this.    

People can use a VPN and set their phone's location to anywhere in the world. So people in Georgia could (in theory) vote through the app and make it look like they're in....Georgia (see what I did there?). 

It sucks that she's already got that kind of following because it means that we're gonna be stuck with her over-inflated sense of ego much longer than we should be. This makes me hope for some BS with the voting so maybe they'll just cut her. Way too much attitude for somebody with such marginal ability. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

This doesn't seem fair to me, if she already has such a big following and people in other countries could get around the voting rules. Though, hm, that could potentially be a way to eliminate her, if they find some irregularity in the voting, I suppose.

I'd think they would prefer someone less known to be the Idol, and also someone more willing to take feedback. Nutsa didn't seem to listen to the mentors. Would she be the same way with the record label? Would she insist on doing her own thing on a tour?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but it would be nice if it were true and we could maybe get a new judge who actually judged:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12114945/Katy-Perry-wants-QUIT-American-Idol-thrown-bus.html

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I was randomly looking up Lionel Richie's net worth and an article said he makes $10 million per season, Luke makes $12 million, but Katy blows them both out of the water at $25 million person. 

If that's true, she'd be crazy to leave that kind of money on the table for a pretty cushy gig. Especially since she needs so much attention and loves making the show all about herself.

• Like 1

Billboard made a list of the 500 greatest pop songs of all time (as determined by their staff), and a number of selections were from former Idol contestants or (more frequently) judges.  I will list them in case anyone is curious but doesn't want to read all 500 (which took forever for me in part because the screen kept refusing to scroll for a full minute in between even though I was on my good computer), but put it in spoiler bars so as not to spoil it for anyone who does want to read the whole thing.

https://www.billboard.com/lists/best-pop-songs-all-time-hits/

Spoiler

427. "No Air" by Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown

381. "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood

361. "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul

321. "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry

315. "Jenny From the Block" by Jennifer Lopez

296. "Brick House" by The Commodores

277.  "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie

199. "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey

97. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey

38. "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry

15. "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey

13. "Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj

5. "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson

(I actually forgot about some being judges at first and had to go back and look up the number.  I mean, Mariah and Nicki I could've maybe forgotten, but J-Lo was on for five years and still slipped my mind!)

(edited)

American Idol got 2 nominations for 2024 Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards...

Nominations Announced for 11th Annual Guild Awards
IATSE Local 706    January 2, 2024
https://local706.org/nominations-for-11th-annual-guild-awards/ 

The Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild has announced nominations for the 2024 MUAHS Guild Awards. Winners will be honored at the awards gala, presented by Ardell, on Sunday, February 18, 2024 at Fairmont Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA. The MUAHS Awards represent a spectrum of outstanding achievements in 23 categories of make-up and hair styling artistry in motion pictures, television, commercials, music videos and live theater. The announcement was made by Julie Socash, IATSE Local 706 President.
TELEVISION SPECIAL, ONE HOUR OR MORE LIVE PROGRAM
11. Best Contemporary Make-up

American Idol – Season 6
Tonia Green, Gina Ghiglieri, Natalie Malchev, Michael Anthony

Dancing with the Stars
Julie Socash, Donna Bard, Lois Harriman, Sarah Woolf

Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards
Thad Nalitz, Alison Gladieux, Christina Jimenez, Kathy Santiago

Saturday Night Live
Louie Zakarian, Amy Tagliamonti, Jason Milani, Young Bek

The Voice
Darcy Gilmore, Gina Ghiglieri, Kristene Bernard, Marylin Lee Spiegel
14. Best Contemporary Hair Styling

American Idol
Dean Banowetz, Amber Maher, Kimi Messina, Lalisa Turner

Dancing with the Stars
Kimi Messina, Joe Matke, Amber Nicholle Maher, Marion Rogers

The Voice
Jerilynn Stephens, Darbie Wieczorek, Lalisa Turner, Suzette Boozer

Kids’ Choice Awards 2023
Jerilynn Stephens, Kimi Messina, Joe Matke, Suzette Boozer

65th Annual Grammy Awards
Brian Steven Banks

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Hopefully the next coach won't be an egotistical, self-centered, rampaging fame whore. 

Apparently the fans are guessing the next judge might be a returnee - Jennifer Lopez- so, erm.

• Sad 1

I hope Perry's just haggling for a pay raise. I'd rather they just cancel the show altogether than bring JLO back, she's the reason the old FOX series ran into the ground.

I couldn't blame Perry for wanting to move on if that's really the case here. If that were to happen, they could always ask Carrie Underwood to be judge. I know there had been a lot of speculation she was going to be on The Voice last year before Reba was announced, but she's too loyal to Idol to go on there, I guess. I imagine she'd take an offer from Idol though.

21 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I hope Perry's just haggling for a pay raise. I'd rather they just cancel the show altogether than bring JLO back, she's the reason the old FOX series ran into the ground.

I couldn't blame Perry for wanting to move on if that's really the case here. If that were to happen, they could always ask Carrie Underwood to be judge. I know there had been a lot of speculation she was going to be on The Voice last year before Reba was announced, but she's too loyal to Idol to go on there, I guess. I imagine she'd take an offer from Idol though.

J-Lo wasn't responsible for the old FOX show being cancelled.  It was Time.  The music industry had changed, along with technology.  There was more competition with streaming, social media, YT, Tik-Tok. 

If Carrie was interested in being a judge, that would have happened way back.  But she has no desire to be.  She also doesn't live in L.A.  She has young kids and I can't see her uprooting her family.

(edited)

If she really was a part of the show because she wanted to work with and discover/develop new talent then I don't blame her for leaving because that's not what the show is anymore. 

Edited by OLynn33
On 2/15/2024 at 9:00 PM, twilightzone said:

J-Lo wasn't responsible for the old FOX show being cancelled.  It was Time.  The music industry had changed, along with technology.  There was more competition with streaming, social media, YT, Tik-Tok. 

If Carrie was interested in being a judge, that would have happened way back.  But she has no desire to be.  She also doesn't live in L.A.  She has young kids and I can't see her uprooting her family.

I didn't say JLo got it cancelled necessarily, just that she hastened its inevitable decline. For all Katy Perry's faults, at least the show has been better talent-wise since she, Bryan, and Ritchie took over, and I watch the show for the contestants more than the judges.

As for the latter, I only thought it could be possible because Underwood has come across a little checked out on her music lately with her last album's promotion, that maybe she'd be more open to that kind of job lately where she wouldn't have been in the past, but who knows. Good point about the show's location likely being a problem, I hadn't considered that.

I'm still skeptical Perry will leave, but I read through some of the Miley speculation the other day and in the midst of those gossip articles I read that maybe they're considering Shania again if Perry did leave? Jordin Sparks also put her name out there to be considered, apparently.

I mean, I think I'd be fine with whichever of those women are at the table next season as long as it's not JLO, but I admit Jordin would be my first choice, with Shania second.

I've read that Katy Perry is the second highest paid AI judge ever, eclipsed only by Simon Cowell.  She gets $25 million per year.*  Here's what I don't understand:  We all know the ratings are pretty low for AI.  Instead of paying someone $25 million a year, why not get someone for $1 million a year, which would save them $24 million.  I doubt Katy Perry is bringing in enough viewers to warrant her large salary.  They could pick a contestant from the first few years and offer them $1 million per season, or at least for their first season.  That's $1 million for about two, maybe three months work, if you include the auditions, travel, and publicity.  There's a lot of people from the early years who are smart and personable who would jump at the chance. i.e. Clay Aiken, Kelly Pickler, Taylor Hicks, Chris Daughtry, etc.  Heck, for a little more, maybe $3 or $4 million, they could probably get Adam Lambert or Jordin Sparks. 

Then again, I'm assuming they'll replace Katy with a woman, so I guess Kellie Pickler would be the best choice. 

*Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie both are paid $7 million per season. 

(edited)

Stars Rejected by 'American Idol' - See Which Artists Failed to Get Past the Auditions!
BY JJ STAFF    MAR 23, 2024
https://www.justjared.com/2024/03/23/stars-rejected-by-american-idol-see-which-artists-failed-to-get-past-the-auditions/2/

Bebe Rexha
Maren Morris
Colbie Caillat
Mickey Guyton
Hillary Scott 
Amber Riley
Kane Brown
Naya Rivera
Chrissy Metz
Tori Kelly
Mary Lambert
Alex & Sierra
Alan Ritchson
The Swon Brothers 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Which Show Stole New Girl Bar? Was SVU’s Carisi Snippy? #OneChicago’s Biggest Gross-Out? Should #Richonne Have Washed Up First? More TV Qs!
BY VLADA GELMAN, MATT WEBB MITOVICH, KIMBERLY ROOTS, ANDY SWIFT, DAVE NEMETZ, RYAN SCHWARTZ, NICK CARUSO, CHARLIE MASON   MARCH 22, 2024
https://tvline.com/features/chicago-fire-season-12-episode-7-violet-remove-spider-throat-1235190695/ 

5 | Which American Idol moment felt more staged: the “surprise” return of third-timer Alyssa Raghu, or Athena Jett’s little sister convincing Katy Perry to give her a second chance? 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

California Dreamin: EPIC Song Ft. Abi Carter, Julia Gagnon, & Odell Bunton Jr. - American Idol 2024
American Idol   Mar 29, 2024

An epic start to Hollywood Week on American Idol, as our three platinum ticket powerhouses perform "California Dreamin" on the Idol Arena stage! Give it up for Abi Carter, Julia Gagnon, and Odell Bunton Jr.

• Like 2

The top 2️⃣4️⃣ is getting ready for some #AulaniTime! Sunday AND Monday at 8/7c on ABC #AmericanIdol
American Idol   Apr 2, 2024

• Like 1
On 4/10/2024 at 9:23 AM, tv echo said:

Newly announced Wheel of Fortune host Ryan Seacrest invites his new co-host Vanna White to Aulani
American Idol   Apr 9, 2024

Cause that's what Ryan needs, ANOTHER job. Kinda curious what drives him, he seems to have zero personal life and 8 million jobs and projects. 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:00 AM, ljenkins782 said:

Cause that's what Ryan needs, ANOTHER job. Kinda curious what drives him, he seems to have zero personal life and 8 million jobs and projects. 

I figured he would cut back on some of the other things because "Wheel of Fortune" is a lucrative gig.

(edited)
6 hours ago, ForReal said:

I figured he would cut back on some of the other things because "Wheel of Fortune" is a lucrative gig.

I wouldn't bet on it, American Idol has paid him a mint over the years, plus I think he was executive producer on the Kardashians franchise, plus his radio gigs, hosting New Year's Eve, etc. Money doesn't seem to be the motivator.

ETA: totally forgot about his gig on morning tv with Kelly Ripa! 

per the internet, his net worth is $450 million already even before he starts Wheel of Fortune. 

Edited by ljenkins782
(edited)

Is New Ghosts Lingo Too Ribald? Who Was MIA at Curb Trial? Does S.W.A.T. Retirement Track? Would Abbott’s Barbara Know ChatGPT? And More Qs!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH, NICK CARUSO, RYAN SCHWARTZ, CHARLIE MASON, DAVE NEMETZ, REBECCA IANNUCCI, ANDY SWIFT, KIMBERLY ROOTS, KEISHA HATCHETT   APRIL 12, 2024
https://tvline.com/features/ghosts-poltergeist-jerk-off-terminology-season-3-1235199496/ 

6 | Is returning mentor Tori Kelly quietly making a case for herself as Katy Perry’s replacement on American Idol next season?

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Music: Rock N' Roll HOF Inductees To Be Revealed On "American Idol"
By The Rod Ryan Show   Apr 17, 2024
https://thebuzz.iheart.com/featured/the-rod-ryan-show/content/2024-04-17-music-rock-n-roll-hof-inductees-to-be-revealed-on-american-idol/ 

The 2024 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees will be announced live this Sunday on “American Idol” on ABC! Ryan Seacrest and Lionel Richie will making the announcement, which will air at 8PM Eastern.

(edited)

American Idol 2024 Top 14 Rankings, Facebook Stats
04/21/2024 mj santilli 
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2024-top-14-rankings-facebook-stats.htm 

The American Idol 2024 Top 14 take the stage LIVE on Sunday (April 21) to sing for your REAL TIME VOTES. At the end of the episode, host Ryan Seacrest will eliminate TWO contestants, resulting in a Top 12, who will return on Monday (April 22) to sing again.

American Idol themes are back. The Season 22 Top 14 will choose songs from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees (check out our song suggestions HERE). Gene Simmons from the legendary rock band KISS will mentor the singers. And, for the first time ever on Idol, the Hall of Fame inductees for 2024 will be revealed live on the show!

On Monday, the Top 12 will be mentored by pop star Meghan Trainor as they tackle Billboard No. 1 Hits. Ryan reveals a Top 10 at the end of the show.

Edited by tv echo

Jon Bon Jovi to Appear as Guest Mentor on 'American Idol' Season 22 Finale
The singing competition winner will be announced on Sunday, May 19
By Ilana Kaplan  Published on April 22, 2024
https://people.com/american-idol-finale-jon-bon-jovi-to-join-as-guest-mentor-8637023 

On Sunday, April 21, it was announced that the rocker, 62, will be guest mentor on season 22 of American Idol, per a press release.

Jon will be taking on the role during the season finale on May 19, where he will mentor the top three contestants.

American Idol 2024: Full Season 22 Schedule (Updated 4/23)
02/18/2024 mj santilli
https://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-2024-full-season-22-schedule.htm 

Sunday Apr 28 – 8-10 pm ET/PT – The Top 10 perform BIRTH YEAR songs. (LIVE SHOW) Shania Twain mentors. Just Sam and Scotty McCreery performs. – A Top 8 will be REVEALED by the end of the show

Monday April 29 – 8-10 pm ET/PT – Judges Song Contest – The judges choose songs for the Top 8. A Top 6 will be revealed, the judges save a contestant making a Top 7. (LIVE SHOW)

Sunday May 5 – 8-10 pm ET/PT – Adele Night (Top 7) – (LIVE SHOW)

Sunday May 12 – 8-10 pm ET/PT – Disney Night – (LIVE SHOW)

Sunday May 19 – 3 HOUR FINALE – Top 3 mentored by Jon Bon Jovi (LIVE SHOW)

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Ratings: NCIS, The Voice and Idol Lead Monday, All American Rebounds
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   APRIL 24, 2024
https://tvline.com/ratings/ncis-hawaii-season-3-episode-8-viewers-renewed-cancelled-1235203798/ 

In the latest TV ratings, CBS‘ NCIS was Monday’s most-watched show, while NBC’s The Voice tied ABC’s American Idol for the nightly demo win.
ABC | American Idol (4.2 mil/0.4) was up 7% in audience week-to-week.

• Like 1