Type keyword(s) to search

AI in the Media

• Start Topic

How long ago was that video taken?  Let's not forget that both Jeremiah and his family have disputed the narrative of how he was rejected by them for being gay.  

April 2019

I’m somewhat confused by tha date associated with that video as well. I’m not so surprised sure the video was filmed in April 2019 as rge article states as its total inconsistent with the WMAR interviews Jeremiah and his dad did in March and the Out.com article Ian that same time. It may have been a year or more ago, which would be consistent with would be consistent with what Jeremiah said when Hollywood week was filmed that he if I remember his words correctly, didn’t feel comfortable working at his dad’s church where he wasn’t being accepted so he had decided to quit as a janitor and move out.

And his sister’s statement clearly supports that there had been a growing process and that’s also consistent with the family having reached the point where they would love each other unconditionally no matter what. I hate to say it, but I think that video was taken out of some missing contex, such as when was it actually recorded and being used incorrectly. 

(edited)

This, I suspect is a first for American Idol.

Earlier today, the Towson University Chorale performed and released a video of their cover of Jeremiah’s original song “Almost Heaven.” Jeremiah is taking the year off as a voice performance major from there, but he apparently knew nothing about this. 

Towson University Chorale cover of “Almost Heaven” (Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon)

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 2

This pisses me off. I mean, it would bother me regardless of who the winner in question was, but the fact that Maddie is my favorite winner of the show after Jordin Sparks and Kelly Clarkson only makes me angrier. 3 hours and they couldn't find a 3 minute slot for her?

• Love 5

Wow. So much randomness. I feel bad for Jeremiah, having to sing with Katy. Luke Bryan singing “Knockin’ Boots” and “Every Breath You Take” with Laci is cringe worthy. I have no idea who Jon Pardo is. Had to Google him and I'm disappointed they gave Laine a country singer to perform with. The only performance I'm looking forward to is the Weezer medley because of the songs.

• Love 1

Katy is having Jeremiah sing her song “Unconditionally.”

when you read the lyrics here then you’ll understand why she chose it; it’s unfortunate the producers made no attempt to find a known performer to pair Jeremiah with; or at least let him do another one of his original songs such as “Learn to Love,” which is available on Spotify..

5 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

The judges and Bobby Bones are all returning next year.

One name is conspicuously missing from that release, though, and it's not Kieran the lighting guy. Apparently they're still in discussion with Ryan.

OToday’s the day many AI Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon fans have been wanting. “Almost Heaven” his original song that he performed twice on this last season of American Idol, has been released as a download on various streaming services worldwide. His first post-Idol album “Namesake” is scheduled for release as a download and on vinyl very early next year.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 2

Alejandro's record Exit Form drops this week under the name Scarypoolparty.

Aranda will be opening for Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds next year; and he says he’s been contacted by everyone from Quincy Jones’s camp to Critics’ Choice Brit Award winner Jack Garratt to alternative R&B star Gallant. That’s the sort of genre-blurring career Aranda hopes to have: “Someone like Gallant, an amazing singer that makes really an atonement of creativity… to me, that's someone that really knows exactly what he's trying to go for, and I respect that to the fullest.”

I read the article and I'm not sure if this was mentioned.  The March 29 episode (Hawaii/Judgment) had been scheduled as a three-hour episode, but now it is two hours, according to the listings at the Futon Critic site.  The March 30 episode is now "Part 2" of Hawaii, also two hours.

• Useful 1

ABC is continuing to try to fill time with two specials called "American Idol: This Is Me" on Sunday, April 5 & April 12.  The time on Monday, April 6 will now be filled by reruns of Celebrity Family Feud.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/american-idol/listings/

ETA: I assumed they were specials, but "This Is Me" could be a top 20 theme?  At any rate, I don't think it will happen unless some performance shows were already recorded, which doesn't seem likely given the article a few posts up.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Clarification
  • Love 1

Now the Hawaii Showcase is down to just two hours on Sunday; Monday episode is replaced by another Celebrity Family Feud repeat and a news special.

ETA: The second two hours of the Hawaii Showcase are now scheduled for Sunday, April 5.  "This Is Me" Parts 1 & 2 are April 12 & 19.  How far do they think they can stretch this out?

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/03/27/abc-bumps-mondays-edition-of-american-idol-to-next-sunday-800311/20200327abc01/

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added new info.
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2020 at 1:21 AM, KWalkerInc said:

Monday episode is replaced by another Celebrity Family Feud repeat and a news special.

In what I am sure is not a coincidence, that Celebrity Family Feud features Kelly Clarkson.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:21 AM, KWalkerInc said:

How far do they think they can stretch this out?

Well, they don't have Barbara Walters churning out specials, and probably ran out of rerun options for According to Jim, so they have to do what they can....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 8:15 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Are the Top 20 eps usually live? I didn't fully watch last season so I don't remember. Like are these 2 Hawaii eps the last eps they have filmed?

It doesn't matter if their live or not because this show has a huge support crew, plus contestants, there's no way they could continue, and anyway, California is trying hard to abide by the Stay at Home orders so there's no way they could have continued. But damn, as much as I loathe this show it really does make good Quarantine TV! I'm bummed they didn't finish filming more of the season before it went dark.

• Love 2

It doesn't seem like the sound quality would be very good when the performance is broadcast from the contestants' homes.  And for those contestants that don't play an instrument, what will the backing music be?

Edited by tomorrowgirl
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, tomorrowgirl said:

It doesn't seem like the sound quality would be very good when the performance is broadcast from the contestants' homes.  And for those contestants that don't play an instrument, what will the backing music be?

They've now had enough time that they could get the contestants some stereo equipment and a backing track of their song (or the options for a song.)  If the producers are smart (heh), they'd do each segment pre-taped that day, and give each contestant a few passes to try to get the syncing and technical issues correct.  That's not the same as a live performance, but it's closer.  They could also make sure the contestants' Internet connections are good enough, and if not, spring for a few months of Sponsored Opportunity High Speed Internet Access.

• Love 3
(edited)

American Idol Judges Weigh in on Disadvantages and Advantages of First-Ever Remote Show
By Christina Dugan April 27, 2020 
https://people.com/music/american-idol-judges-weigh-in-on-disadvantages-advantages-first-ever-remote-show/ 

American Idol is all about fairness, so we sent everyone a kit that had same mics, the same set, the same lights,” Perry, 35, told reporters during a conference call after the show. “It was up to the talent. They had the option to perform with their own instruments or utilize our music director from afar.”

“The disadvantages would be that they don’t get the opportunity to play off of an audience,” the mom-to-be added. “They have to look into the lens of the camera as though it is an excited audience. They don’t get to flex that muscle. There’s a lot of time delay, there’s a lot of patience that we have to practice when we’re speaking, and the reactions can’t come as off the cuff as they do in a live setting. All things considered, I would say with all the circumstances, I think we’re really proud of it.”
“What I was missing was, I like to see the shaking of the hands, a little sweaty palms, how you handle yourself, your stage presence,” said Richie, 70. “That’s one thing we can’t teach. You either have that or you don’t. I think they just did so well and staged their own show and pulled it off. That was the only thing that was missing. My shout out goes out to the production team and the contestants. Everybody was just on point tonight.”

“Another part of the rules was that each contestant had three opportunities to perform their performance and pick from their best one. They just had to pick their favorite one of those performances,” Bryan said, later adding, “I feel like if they have a disadvantage, it’s because we’re really to able to really hear their vocal qualities even more. It’s a disadvantage and an advantage, but if you’re not as strong of a singer, it allows me, Lionel and Katy to pick you apart more. I think even at home, America could hear the same thing.”
While this continues to be a new normal for everyone, Bones said the contestants are pulling through and handling it as best as they can.

“In life, it’s not if adversity is going to hit, it’s when is it going to hit and how are you going to react when it happened,” he said. “I talked to them and said, ‘Hey, this is just something that happens.’ Maybe not this specifically, but there are always going to be things in your life and/or career that sideswipe you. You have two options: lay down or get up and keep going. Once they decide, ‘Okay, this is uncomfortable,’ they’ve had to set up their own studios. It’s equal eyes. It is clunky at times for them because they have to do things they’ve never done, but we’re all rocking it together.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

The show has been renewed for a 19th season.

(ABC probably doesn't like the references to "season 19" in this article, as they only acknowledge their seasons--even while having people from FOX seasons make appearances.)

It's still amazing to me to see what broadcast ratings are now.  ABC's second-highest rated show (in the 18-49 demo) is getting 1.24 (Bachelor is at 1.8).  I remember when shows that didn't pull a 20.0 rating in 18+ were thought to be in trouble. (Of course, those were also the days when CBS would put a lineup of legendary shows - M*A*S*H, All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show and Carol Burnett - on Saturdays.)

• Love 2

I’m not sure what happened but it was something. I’ve read different theories. One is a neurological condition that can be brought on by stress and exhaustion. I’m not sure of spelling...something like grava... You can also get droopy eye from Botox, but it’s not really like what we saw. I’ve had that before. It can be fixed quick with drops. I’m not sure about a stroke. I hope he’s honest about it soon though. You just don’t have something like that happen and ignore it. Maybe, he wanted to keep attention on the contestants and winner.  

3 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I've been fatigued at times, but never did fatigue make my eyes do what Seacrest's did during the finale.  Is "fatigue" another "Lime Disease"?

https://people.com/music/ryan-seacrest-no-stroke-american-idol-finale

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure what happened but it was something.

Like everyone, his face is asymmetrical, but there was for sure a marked difference from the beginning of the show. I actually rewound it to see if I had somehow missed it earlier.  

• Love 1
(edited)
56 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure what happened but it was something. I’ve read different theories. One is a neurological condition that can be brought on by stress and exhaustion. I’m not sure of spelling...something like grava... You can also get droopy eye from Botox, but it’s not really like what we saw. I’ve had that before. It can be fixed quick with drops. I’m not sure about a stroke. I hope he’s honest about it soon though. You just don’t have something like that happen and ignore it. Maybe, he wanted to keep attention on the contestants and winner.  

Were you thinking of myasthenia gravis? 

Edited by Quickbeam
Correct spellcheck
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Were you thinking of myasthenia gravis? 

Yes, that's what I read.  Not by a doctor though, just a lay opinion online. 

I saw that Ryan was on the Kelly Live show today.  Does anyone know if that was pre-filmed or really live?